PDA

View Full Version : why marc mariani tops my payton list

argh!
November 29th, 2009, 11:28 AM
because he's the best player in the fcs.

Green26
November 29th, 2009, 12:13 PM
I agree with argh's post. I also agree with this quote from a Missoula columnist today:

"If nothing else, Mariani has succeeded in making a lot of folks look silly for failing to nominate him as one of the 20 finalisists for the Walter Payton Award."

Mariani is the biggest game-changer in I-AA football this year. He can do it with his hands, his feet and his heart. He consistently makes big plays--often game and momentum changers. He has tremendous hands, terrific cutting ability, terrific acceleration and great speed. When things are going against the Griz, he makes a big play--and then he continues to make big plays.

His stats for yesterday's game have been posted, including the 12 catches for 171 yards and 2 TD's, the 98 yard kickoff return for another TD, and the 389 yards of all-purpose yards.

He now heads the list of all-time Griz receivers/players, with 27 career TD receptions, 1,151 receiving yards this season and 2690 for his career, and 5,071 career all-purpose yards. (He accomplished most of this in the last two seasons, as an injury had slowed him as a sophomore and he had only 15 receptions before his junior year--in a run-first offense.)

He averages 18.56 yards per catch and 95.92 yards per game (8th in nation). By comparison, Huggins of Elon averages 13.28 per catch, and of the top 12 receivers, only Madkins of SHS averages more per catch.

He averages 16.31 in punt returns (4th in nation). Despite the terriffic punt coverage by SoDakSt, Mariani did not have a single fair catch yesterday. He is tied for most punt returns in the nation--despite teams trying to kick away from him.

He had not returned many kickoffs until yesterday. His season average is 40 yards per return. This would lead the nation by 9 yards if he had enough kicks to make the list.

He was an all-american last year, and will be an all-american this year. He will get a good shot at the NFL. Griz fans are calling him the best Griz receiver of all time. Some are even calling him the best Griz playing of all day (and naming him along with Dave Dickenson.

What does a guy have to do to get recognition from the Payton people?

I put considerable blame on David Coulson. He was provided information on Mariani over the summer, during the season, and prior to the last update of the Watch list. Nevertheless, Mariani was not put on the list. What a shame.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 29th, 2009, 12:14 PM

I'm going with the guy that only played 9 games in the regular season and has still generated as many or more yards than all but (maybe) one or two players in the country.

Uncle Rico's Clan
November 29th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Hands down biggest playmaker/gamechanger in college football.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ssfh9fk_TE

Pards Rule
November 29th, 2009, 05:49 PM
I hope the Eagles draft him - they know about FCS players (hey Brian Westbrook!)

asknoquarter21
November 29th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Armanti Edwards hasn't graduated yet.

The End

Green26
November 30th, 2009, 12:53 AM
Does anyone want to give us an explanation of why Mariani isn't even on the Watch list?

Peems
November 30th, 2009, 02:38 AM
his first two games were nothing special, than he went on a nice hot streak and then semi-cooled off, only to bring it back on the stretch run. I also think hving chase on the list hurt him. As another poster mentioned, you can't really measure all of what he does on the stat sheet. Not having him on the list is no biggie, i just want to see him play three more games in a griz uni!

Skjellyfetti
November 30th, 2009, 07:31 AM
_______ is the biggest game-changer in I-AA football this year. He can do it with his hands, his feet and his heart. He consistently makes big plays--often game and momentum changers.

Hmmm. Sounds like this guy:

http://www.highcountrypress.com/weekly/2008/12-25-08/00_photos/Armanti%20Wins.jpg

Oh, and if there were an FCS equivalent for the Biletnikof Award, Mariani wouldn't win that either. He's probably at least the second best receiver in FCS. xnodx

Green26
November 30th, 2009, 09:41 AM
his first two games were nothing special, than he went on a nice hot streak and then semi-cooled off, only to bring it back on the stretch run. I also think hving chase on the list hurt him. As another poster mentioned, you can't really measure all of what he does on the stat sheet. Not having him on the list is no biggie, i just want to see him play three more games in a griz uni!

Mariani was hurt early in the first game of the season and didn't recover for several games.

Not having him on the Payton list may be no biggie to you, but it reveals the lack of credibility of the list and the people who create the list.

Owl Wingman
November 30th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Explain to me why Montana fans are just idiots. Is it the air that makes them stupid or is it just the breed? The fact is Mariani isn't even a top-3 receiver in FCS, let alone the best player. He is an All-American. Isn't that good enough for you people? And plus, he would've gotten no support. Look what Hudgins had to do get any support.

P.S. Tim Toone and Pat Simonds would have probably made it on before Mariani. Simonds, not because of his stats, but because of his NFL potential.

Silenoz
November 30th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Explain to me why Montana fans are just idiots. Is it the air that makes them stupid or is it just the breed? The fact is Mariani isn't even a top-3 receiver in FCS, let alone the best player. He is an All-American. Isn't that good enough for you people? And plus, he would've gotten no support. Look what Hudgins had to do get any support.

P.S. Tim Toone and Pat Simonds would have probably made it on before Mariani. Simonds, not because of his stats, but because of his NFL potential.

I'm restraining myself from making a comment about the people of Philly here

Mariani is awesome, but I agree, his numbers are not quite up to par with Terrel Hudgins (among others) this year, he shouldn't be in consideration for the Payton award

However, talent-wise, and as a gamechanger, there is maybe one other player in the nation I'd rather have on my team, and thats Edwards.

biggie
November 30th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Mariani probably isn't on there for the same reasons other players on teams that already have someone on the final ballot aren't on there. They would take away from the other person.

Riddle for Elon and Moore for ASU would be possible examples.

Owl Wingman
November 30th, 2009, 10:37 AM
I agree with that completely! You should be the reasonable voice for Montana football! And btw, I'm not from philly but did go to Temple. I hate philly and especially philly sports fans!

Silenoz
November 30th, 2009, 10:40 AM
I agree with that completely! You should be the reasonable voice for Montana football! And btw, I'm not from philly but did go to Temple. I hate philly and especially philly sports fans!
Don't we all xlolx

Owl Wingman
November 30th, 2009, 10:41 AM
That couldn't be more true :)

Tod
November 30th, 2009, 10:43 AM

NFL potential should have nothing to do with it.

Why don't you find a site that wants to talk about Temple football, if there is one?

Owl Wingman
November 30th, 2009, 10:48 AM
NFL potential should have nothing to do with it.

Why don't you find a site that wants to talk about Temple football, if there is one?

Because I know a whole lot more about FCS football then even about Temple.

Owl Wingman
November 30th, 2009, 10:52 AM
And NFL potential obviously does matter. Why do think Andre Roberts remained on the Payton list all season?

Tod
November 30th, 2009, 11:07 AM
And NFL potential obviously does matter. Why do think Andre Roberts remained on the Payton list all season?

I said it shouldn't matter. Why do you think so many Payton winners (and many Heisman winners) never make it in the NFL? FCS has enough potential NFL players that if that's the way they wanted to do it, they could. Could have given it to Flacco.

ncbears
November 30th, 2009, 11:19 AM

And you're biased.
xnodxxnodx

Owl Wingman
November 30th, 2009, 11:21 AM
I said it shouldn't matter. Why do you think so many Payton winners (and many Heisman winners) never make it in the NFL? FCS has enough potential NFL players that if that's the way they wanted to do it, they could. Could have given it to Flacco.

I agree with that. It's an interesting process.

Poker Alan
November 30th, 2009, 11:31 AM
It seems to me that Mariani is likely one of the 20 best players in FCS, but, early season performance didn't warrant him being included, turned it on too late. However, anyone who doesn't think he is a gamechanger and deserves to at least be on the list (even instead of Chase), is apparently taking some strong pharmaceuticals.

Tod
November 30th, 2009, 11:35 AM
It seems to me that Mariani is likely one of the 20 best players in FCS, but, early season performance didn't warrant him being included, turned it on too late. However, anyone who doesn't think he is a gamechanger and deserves to at least be on the list (even instead of Chase), is apparently taking some strong pharmaceuticals.

I won't agree with argh! that he's the best player in the FCS, but if the list were to be put together now, he should be on it. Chase should not, with no offense to him.

putter
November 30th, 2009, 11:40 AM
the Peyton list, just like polls have no validity early in the season. Mariani should be on the list. He may not win but the award goes to the best player in the FCS and based on his ability to change a game (look at the catch against Richmond last year) gives him a legit reason to at least be recognized on the list.

Thumper 76
November 30th, 2009, 11:43 AM
He is the reason the Griz came back last weekend. No doubt. Never seen a reciever take over like that. Ridiculous

WVAPPmountaineer
November 30th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Sorry my Montana friend but Armanti is the best player in the FCS and no one else is close - he has the ball in his hands every offensive play - he is the ONLY player in the HISTORY of all Division 1 football to pass for 9,000 yards and rush for 4,000 - I was impressed with what I saw of Mariani last year and he certainly should have been on the watch list - however don't know if you knew this but Eric Ward, the heart and soul of Richmond who led them to the national championship isn't on the list either - so it's not east coast bias - we, the FCS, seem to be saddled with less than competent leaders, voters, etc. ----

putter
November 30th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Sorry my Montana friend but Armanti is the best player in the FCS and no one else is close - he has the ball in his hands every offensive play - he is the ONLY player in the HISTORY of all Division 1 football to pass for 9,000 yards and rush for 4,000 - I was impressed with what I saw of Mariani last year and he certainly should have been on the watch list - however don't know if you knew this but Eric Ward, the heart and soul of Richmond who led them to the national championship isn't on the list either - so it's not east coast bias - we, the FCS, seem to be saddled with less than competent leaders, voters, etc. ----

Nice post and I can't argue with anything you said. I just wish he was recognized because he is one of the best players in the nation.

BarefootApp
November 30th, 2009, 12:25 PM
I can sympathize re Mariani. I made a trip to Montana, chasing Lewis and Clark and the Corps of Discovery in the summer of 07. I wound up in Missoula and wanted to see the iside of Wa-Griz. Came upon this kid who I thought was a player and told him my intentions. He was extremly nice and respectful, even thought I was wearing App St. gear. Really, a top notch young man and I am so happy for his success. Having said that, he is no Armanti on a weekly basis. He is a great player and a pleasure to get to meet, but he isn't the best player in FCS, imo. Best of luck to the Griz Family and I hope we meet in Missoula in a couple of weeks. That would be great....lots of great players on the field that day, for sure. Also, thanks to the guy who bought me a beer when he saw my sweatshirt in the Missoula Club.

Uncle Rico's Clan
November 30th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Armanti is amazing, no doubt, but when looking at his stats don't forget that he touches the ball on every offensive play, while Mariani touches the ball 10-15 times a game, 20 max. Armanti may be the best player in FCS, but Mariani is probably the biggest difference maker in FCS. Everytime he touches the ball there is a chance for fire works. Although he may not deserve to win the award I think he should have at least been put on the watch list.

BarefootApp
November 30th, 2009, 12:51 PM
I heartily agree he should be on the list, just like I thought Armanti and Flacco should have been on the 07 list......makes you wonder.

Kemo
November 30th, 2009, 02:01 PM
In order for a receiver to win the Payton they would have to put up just ridiculous numbers all year, so I don't think Mariani should be tops on the list (though he should be on the list)... however he was the best college football player on any football field last Saturday and was the reason my beloved Jackrabbits lost the huge lead. Nobody got that kind of separation on our cornerbacks all year, yet Mariani made them look like they were crippled. I have only seen him play once and I hope I never see him play again until he is in an NFL uniform.

GrizNzonecrazy
November 30th, 2009, 02:24 PM
In order for a receiver to win the Payton they would have to put up just ridiculous numbers all year, so I don't think Mariani should be tops on the list (though he should be on the list)... however he was the best college football player on any football field last Saturday and was the reason my beloved Jackrabbits lost the huge lead. Nobody got that kind of separation on our cornerbacks all year, yet Mariani made them look like they were crippled. I have only seen him play once and I hope I never see him play again until he is in an NFL uniform.

Its your lucky day! Marc is a SR and will be leaving us after we win the NC on Dec 18

Green26
November 30th, 2009, 04:31 PM

What a dumb statement. Mariani is a better receiver than Toone, was first team pre-season all-american, was one of the mid-season first team all-american receivers and will be first team all-american after the season. While being of NFL quality is not necessary for being on the Payton list, Mariani is rated fairly high on the NFL lists on the Internet is getting looked at the by the scouts every week. Mariani is also the top punt and kick returner in the nation, in my view.

Green26
November 30th, 2009, 04:34 PM
I'm restraining myself from making a comment about the people of Philly here

Mariani is awesome, but I agree, his numbers are not quite up to par with Terrel Hudgins (among others) this year, he shouldn't be in consideration for the Payton award

However, talent-wise, and as a gamechanger, there is maybe one other player in the nation I'd rather have on my team, and thats Edwards.

Can't agree with your comment. Mariani should have been on the watch list now, and should have been when it came out this summer. I believe there are 20 players on the list. Take a look at some of their numbers. Some of the qb's on the list don't deserve to be on the list.

Silenoz
November 30th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Can't agree with your comment. Mariani should have been on the watch list now, and should have been when it came out this summer. I believe there are 20 players on the list. Take a look at some of their numbers. Some of the qb's on the list don't deserve to be on the list.

Yes, my comment was misleading. He should be on the watch list over Reynolds, but he should not be finishing near the top. If any receiver does, it will be Hudgins

Green26
November 30th, 2009, 04:44 PM

I don't agree that he got off to a slow start this season, except that he got early in the first game and didn't play much.

http://filemanager.montanagrizzlies.com/mtgriz3/schedules_and_stats/files/fb/htm/2009/plyr_80.htm

back2back
November 30th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Its your lucky day! Marc is a SR and will be leaving us after we win the NC on Dec 18

I hope Marc is practicing at Free Safety, because you will not outscore everyone you play!xsmhxxsmhxxsmhx

Green26
November 30th, 2009, 06:52 PM
I hope Marc is practicing at Free Safety, because you will not outscore everyone you play!xsmhxxsmhxxsmhx

We've outscored everyone we've played so far. That's more than any other team in the playoffs can say.

We're the second highest scoring team in the nation. We're 29th in the nation in scoring defense, despite playing a conference that had 4 of the top 20 leaders in total offense in the nation. Of the playoff teams, I believe we are 5th in margin of victory, behind So. Ill., Vill., Elon and SFA.