PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to the CAA

aust42
November 28th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Kudo's to my CAA brothers for going 4-0 in the first round and showing why we are the best conference in 1AA. xbowx

LacesOut
November 28th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Well done, CAA.

Well done.

I was a bit surprised at the UNH score though. I thought they would win, but not in a blowout.

msupokes1
November 28th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Well done, CAA.

Well done.

I was a bit surprised at the UNH score though. I thought they would win, but not in a blowout.

The score does not even tell the story of the game. Montana was down and they showed they had the poise to come back and win the game. McNeese was down and completely gave up at the end of the game. Very disappointing effort in the 2nd half by the cowboys.

GreatAppSt
November 28th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Kudo's to my CAA brothers for going 4-0 in the first round and showing why we are the best conference in 1AA. xbowx

No kidding?xrolleyesx could not have been set up any better by the commitee. Congrats, but it's not like this outcome wasn't seen coming within 10 minutes of the announced brackets.xeyebrowxxwhistlexxcoffeex

19Duke97
November 28th, 2009, 06:35 PM
No kidding?xrolleyesx could not have been set up any better by the commitee. Congrats, but it's not like this outcome wasn't seen coming within 10 minutes of the announced brackets.xeyebrowxxwhistlexxcoffeex

Nonsense they could have set it up so no CAA team could not face any other until the semifinals, now at least one CAA team is eliminated before the semifinals. xsmiley_wix

Dblue
November 28th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Sour grapes already?? Dude, your team won, enjoy it.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 28th, 2009, 06:38 PM

Yeah - we lucked out and drew a SoCon team! xlolxxlolxxlolx

(No knock to Elon intended - great team, great fans)

GreatAppSt
November 28th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Nonsense they could have set it up so no CAA team could not face any other until the semifinals, now at least one CAA team is eliminated before the semifinals. xsmiley_wixTelling your self that a google times will not ever make it true.

GannonFan
November 28th, 2009, 06:42 PM

Not to quibble, but who outside of nova had a gimme game? And nova was the #2 seed so it's not like they didn't earn one of the easier draws. But Richmond got the #2 team out of the SoCon, UNH got sent on the road to Lake Charles to play a team that beat Appy St in the regular season, in Boone, and William and Mary got the #3 team out of the Big Sky, a team that we were told would've been a semifinal team last year if not for regionalization and that they had tons back.

I agree that it was a very likely outcome based on the brackets, but the four teams from the CAA were all in the top 5 for most of the year - there aren't a lot of matchups that won't see those teams win.

SpeedkingATL
November 28th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Impressive showing by the CAA....there are no gimmies in this years brackets. I do guarentee at least one CAA team loses next week xlolx

Duke Dawg
November 28th, 2009, 06:55 PM
3 straight years now the CAA has 4 teams in the quarterfinals.

CAA = best conference in IAA. Not even close.

Bogus Megapardus
November 28th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Not to quibble, but who outside of nova had a gimme game? And nova was the #2 seed so it's not like they didn't earn one of the easier draws. But Richmond got the #2 team out of the SoCon, UNH got sent on the road to Lake Charles to play a team that beat Appy St in the regular season, in Boone, and William and Mary got the #3 team out of the Big Sky, a team that we were told would've been a semifinal team last year if not for regionalization and that they had tons back.

I agree that it was a very likely outcome based on the brackets, but the four teams from the CAA were all in the top 5 for most of the year - there aren't a lot of matchups that won't see those teams win.

Ummm . . . did you just say that Villanova had a "gimme" game today? That observation deserves a thread of its own, perhaps.

I'd like to see a show of hands from Villanova players who agree with you.

Dblue
November 28th, 2009, 06:58 PM

Maybe you are right, maybe App should have hosted McNeese. It would have been an easy win, right?

Send UNH to SFA, Elon to SC State and EWU to Richmond.

You are correct, MEAC had a very good team, they'd be in round 2.

Is this what you were getting at?

Not smack, just a discussion.

BlackNGold
November 28th, 2009, 06:59 PM

xcoffeex The CAA will have 1 Playoff Team left after next week.... xcoffeex --> Villanova

paward
November 28th, 2009, 07:00 PM
No game is a gimme in the playoffs. You have to earn a spot and your spot is as good as the next man. With that said good showing for the CAA.

I still cannot load the CAA banner!

BigHouseClosedEnd

xcoffeex The CAA will have 1 Playoff Team left after next week.... xcoffeex --> Villanova

SoCon only has 1 left now... and fortunate to have that one ... xcoffeex

BlackNGold
SoCon only has 1 left now... and fortunate to have that one ... xcoffeex

Would not be so cocky after nearly and luckily avoiding losing to one xcoffeex

BlackNGold
November 28th, 2009, 07:02 PM
CAA > Socon = FALSE

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 28th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Would not be so cocky after nearly and luckily avoiding losing to one xcoffeex

Mr. Pot ... Mr. Kettle on line one ... xcoffeex

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 28th, 2009, 07:04 PM
CAA > Socon = FALSE

CAA = SoCon + MVC + BSC + Southland

Dblue
November 28th, 2009, 07:06 PM
CAA > Socon = FALSE

Bwaaaaahhhhaaaaaaaaa.

I love these boards.

Go UNH.

BlackNGold
November 28th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Mr. Pot ... Mr. Kettle on line one ... xcoffeex

hmmm if I recall correctly, the team we played didnt miss two field goals and have a TD PASS ruled a catch out of bounds in the last 2:30 in the game... Believe the team that "Lucked out this most" this saturday would be the :

http://www.adapt2eco.com.au/images/squashed-spider.jpg

GreatAppSt
November 28th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Yeah - we lucked out and drew a #11 team!

fixedxthumbsupx you were saying?xlolx

19Duke97
November 28th, 2009, 07:14 PM
CAA > Socon = FALSE

I want some of what you are smoking. What about the CAA is not stronger than the Southern this year.

Bogus Megapardus
November 28th, 2009, 07:14 PM
The CAA deserved its bids and played like it today. One of them will take the whole enchilada, imo.

BlackNGold
November 28th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Wish we had 3 additional teams in the SOCON..... Just cause you have 12 teams in your division (which is higher than the Socon 9 and maybe highest of all the conferences? I dunno ) DOESN'T mean your better... and explains why you ALWAYS get so many in the Playoffs....

appst97
November 28th, 2009, 07:16 PM

12 chances, 1 national championship! way to go CAA

GreatAppSt
November 28th, 2009, 07:17 PM

Come on Gannon get yer head outa your coffee. You damn well knew Weber had no chance. It was a gift to WM to get them at home no less.;)

GreatAppSt
November 28th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Maybe you are right, maybe App should have hosted McNeese. It would have been an easy win, right?

Send UNH to SFA, Elon to SC State and EWU to Richmond.

You are correct, MEAC had a very good team, they'd be in round 2.

Is this what you were getting at?

Not smack, just a discussion.

Check the rankings of the first round matches should help ya.

SpidersSportsEditor
November 28th, 2009, 07:27 PM
hmmm if I recall correctly, the team we played didnt miss two field goals and have a TD PASS ruled a catch out of bounds in the last 2:30 in the game... Believe the team that "Lucked out this most" this saturday would be the :

http://www.adapt2eco.com.au/images/squashed-spider.jpg

Last time I checked, we were never tied or trailing except when the score was 0-0. If Elon had made the first FG, we would have had the ball, 90 seconds and 3 timeouts to get 3 points, I still would have liked our chances. Oh, and our game didn't have 8 (or more?) turnovers.

State Line Liquors
November 28th, 2009, 07:36 PM
CAA > Socon = FALSE

xrotatehx

Study up. Don't look now, but the people that make the brackets don't agree with you.

SpidersSportsEditor
November 28th, 2009, 07:40 PM
What more do the CAA haters want the conference to do? We had four first round games and we won them all. And all but Richmond dominated. Based on today, there is no way you can say the CAA didn't do everything it could to deserve the title of best conference in the FCS.

GreatAppSt
November 28th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Bwaaaaahhhhaaaaaaaaa.

I love these boards.

Go UNH.

They are fun, the best thing about it is you can have knock down drag out screaming arguements, without spending the night on the couch.xsmiley_wix

Bogus Megapardus
November 28th, 2009, 07:44 PM
What more do the CAA haters want the conference to do? We had four first round games and we won them all. And all but Richmond dominated. Based on today, there is no way you can say the CAA didn't do everything it could to deserve the title of best conference in the FCS.

Congrats to the CAA. Well-deserved victories, for sure - but the Villanova/Holy Cross game was one turn-of-fortune away from a Herculean upset, believe me. No one came away from that game thinking "blowout."

State Line Liquors
November 28th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Come on Gannon get yer head outa your coffee. You damn well knew Weber had no chance. It was a gift to WM to get them at home no less.;)

It would have been just as easy for the selection committee to send Weber to App, rather than letting App get an opening round game against the MEAC champ two years in a row.

Dblue
November 28th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Congrats to the CAA. Well-deserved victories, for sure - but the Villanova/Holy Cross game was one turn-of-fortune away from a Herculean upset, believe me. No one came away from that game thinking "blowout."

Agreed, VMI was lucky to hold on, err, I mean Vanderbiltxsmiley_wix

GreatAppSt
November 28th, 2009, 08:03 PM
It would have been just as easy for the selection committee to send Weber to App, rather than letting App get an opening round game against the MEAC champ two years in a row.

Yeah SCST #7 Conference champs and played like it, vs. #17 3rd entry from a conference. You nailed it, Weber in Boone would have been easier.xnodx So in your humble opinion you think SCST was a chump!

Franks Tanks
November 28th, 2009, 08:06 PM

That gimme game for Nova was closer than 2 of the other CAA games. Have you been paying attention?

MacThor
November 28th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Given what I'm reading from App St fans about today's game, it would seem the Mountaineers are glad they weren't hosting the Tribe today.

GreatAppSt
November 28th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Given what I'm reading from App St fans about today's game, it would seem the Mountaineers are glad they weren't hosting the Tribe today.

Who gives a hoot bring 'em all on.xnodx

No, but I'm sure am glad to get UR rather than Elon next week. Have you heard Richmond's toast.xthumbsupx

UNHFan
November 28th, 2009, 08:21 PM
I am not going to even read the rest of these posts.... Listen Villanova walked into one of the greatest NON SCHOLARSHIP TEAMS of all time. When will you morons all understand what HC is?? I am from the HC power house years!! HC is a great FCS school!! Hands down the best stadium in all of FCS!!! And my god if they choose to go back to 68 Scholerships!! We can only pray!! UNH has its hands full next week!! Ill be there!! Holy Cross is an amazing Athletic school 1250 boys 1250 girls and they make an impact in D1 sports! Insane if you thnk about it! Now let hope DR makes the NFL draft!

bluehenbillk
November 28th, 2009, 08:21 PM
1st Round thoughts:

Weber St? Rumor has it Towson would finish in the top 3 of the Big Sky.

Can't believe the UNH score, wow!

Does UR play everyone tight? Ward will need to keep playing like Superman for the Spiders to keep winning.

Watched a lot of the App game today, I know AE isn't 100pct but SCST had just as much talent. SCST didn't do themselves any favors, theykre just a dumb and poorly coached team, how many times did they get the play off with 2 or less seconds on the play clock?

I still can't stand 'Nova, but was surprised they only won by 10. PL now winless since '03?

Grizaholic17
November 28th, 2009, 08:23 PM
1st Round thoughts:

Does UR play everyone tight? Ward will need to keep playing like Superman for the Spiders to keep winning.

Watched a lot of the App game today, I know AE isn't 100pct but SCST had just as much talent. SCST didn't do themselves any favors, theykre just a dumb and poorly coached team, how many times did they get the play off with 2 or less seconds on the play clock?

I still can't stand 'Nova, but was surprised they only won by 10. PL now winless since '03?

weber state really went down hill since last year. such a shame

Bettina90
November 28th, 2009, 08:25 PM
1st Round thoughts:

If Ward had played like Superman today, Richmond would have won comfortably. They had numerous chances in the 2nd and 3rd Quarter to put Elon in a big hole, given the way the D was playing, and could not convert, and Ward threw 3 picks in the Red Zone.

MacThor
November 28th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Ward did not play like Superman today. He was great with his legs (he has an uncanny ability to scramble for the first down + 1 yard). But he was off on his passes and had two red zone picks, including one on 2nd and goal where just throwing it away gave the Spiders a chance to put the game away on the next two plays.

Bettina90
November 28th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Oh, right. Now I remember Ward's 3rd pick, not in the red zone. For some reason I recalled two red zone picks when he was throwing to his left but I guess just the one. Usually my excuse is overconsumption while watching the game, but today I was sober but hampered by the grainy feed and no replays.

State Line Liquors
November 28th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Yeah SCST #7 Conference champs and played like it, vs. #17 3rd entry from a conference. You nailed it, Weber in Boone would have been easier.xnodx So in your humble opinion you think SCST was a chump!

GPI (http://www.collegesportingnews.com/stats/writer/GPI/20091123gpi.html)

Like I said. Would have been just as easy to send SCSU to W&M.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 28th, 2009, 08:41 PM
The CAA got the easiest playoff slate of all of the conferences. Don't pat yourselves on the back too much. There's a decent chance that there is only 1 CAA team left after the quarters.

By the way, I've said several times now that I thought that last year that GSU, Furman, and Elon were just as good (if not better) than the last two CAA teams to get in. After tonight I feel like I am vindicated. Does anyone honestly not think Elon is an even match for Richmond?

Having a split league gives the CAA a combinatorial advantage that can't be overlooked.

AshevilleApp
November 28th, 2009, 08:48 PM

Quit patting yourself on the back would be a start

State Line Liquors
November 28th, 2009, 08:50 PM
The CAA got the easiest playoff slate of all of the conferences. Don't pat yourselves on the back too much. There's a decent chance that there is only 1 CAA team left after the quarters.

Elaborate on this easy playoff slate.

You've already said you think UR and Elon was a fair match.

Where would you have sent Holy Cross? Who should the #2 seed should have played?

UNH had to travel to the Southland Champion.

Bogus Megapardus
November 28th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Agreed, VMI was lucky to hold on, err, I mean Vanderbiltxsmiley_wix

Vincennes University was the better team over Haverford College today, though. No doubt there.

Bogus Megapardus
November 28th, 2009, 08:53 PM
I am not going to even read the rest of these posts.... Listen Villanova walked into one of the greatest NON SCHOLARSHIP TEAMS of all time. When will you morons all understand what HC is?? I am from the HC power house years!! HC is a great FCS school!! Hands down the best stadium in all of FCS!!! And my god if they choose to go back to 68 Scholerships!! We can only pray!! UNH has its hands full next week!! Ill be there!! Holy Cross is an amazing Athletic school 1250 boys 1250 girls and they make an impact in D1 sports! Insane if you thnk about it! Now let hope DR makes the NFL draft!

WTF? Someone needs injectable pharmaceuticals, for sure.

benuski
November 28th, 2009, 08:53 PM
weber state really went down hill since last year. such a shame

Thats not what all the Weber State (and Montana) fans were saying before the game in the WM/Weber thread... all they said was that WM was overrated, how Weber was gonna win or at least keep it close.

UNHFan
November 28th, 2009, 08:55 PM
WTF? Someone needs injectable pharmaceuticals, for sure.

Your right... I know I am nuts! But I know my FCS!

Bogus Megapardus
November 28th, 2009, 08:55 PM
PL now winless since '03?

Winless since '03. Scholarshipless since '30.

You do the math.

UncleSam
November 28th, 2009, 08:59 PM

The last five years the CAA has gone 15-4 in 1st round games, it couldn't possibly be that they are that good, so it must be the result of all the cupcakes that the commitee continually sends their way......... xazzx

Bogus Megapardus
November 28th, 2009, 08:59 PM

Someone needs a refresher on possessive forms as well. Oh, Mr. Strunk? Mr. White?

UNHFan
November 28th, 2009, 09:01 PM

AMEN!!!! But Cross couldnt run hence the difference.

theasushow
November 28th, 2009, 09:01 PM
I have had a few beers tonight.....
That being said, the CAA from top to bottom is way ahead of the rest of the conferences. Not only do they have 4 of the 8 teams alive in this year's playoffs....but those 4 are all in the top 10 in the polls!xeekx So it isnt like they had a team or two that squeeked in the field.
And if that isnt enough, JMU, UMASS, and Delaware, none of which are in this playoffs this year, have all played for national championships the past 5 seasons. xeekx
Oh and toss in Maine for good measure since they made the playoffs last year.
All in all, the facts done lie, the SOCON has had Elon, ASU, GSU, and Furman with successful seasons lately, but RIGHT NOW, im sorry but it's not even close.

Dblue
November 28th, 2009, 09:13 PM

By the way, I've said several times now that I thought that last year that GSU, Furman, and Elon were just as good (if not better) than the last two CAA teams to get in. After tonight I feel like I am vindicated. Does anyone honestly not think Elon is an even match for Richmond?

Having a split league gives the CAA a combinatorial advantage that can't be overlooked.

If I give you my P.O. Box info, can you send me some of that stuff you are smoking? Socon as well as the CAA performed well today. Give credit where it is due.

MacThor
November 28th, 2009, 09:18 PM
By the way, I've said several times now that I thought that last year that GSU, Furman, and Elon were just as good (if not better) than the last two CAA teams to get in.

One of the last two CAA teams to get in last year beat the OVC champ, the SoCon champ on the road, the MVFC champ on the road, and the Big Sky Champ in the finals.

89Hen
November 28th, 2009, 09:28 PM

xconfusedx Maine wasn't a great team last year, you're really not going out on a limb there. All four of the CAA teams in the field this year are MUCH, MUCH stronger than Maine last year. How do today's results vindicate anything? Your #2 team lost to the CAA #2 team. Your #3 team would have been blow out by #3 or #4 from the CAA. Your #4 team lost OOC 44-6 vs a playoff team.

Squealofthepig
November 28th, 2009, 09:29 PM
If I give you my P.O. Box info, can you send me some of that stuff you are smoking? Socon as well as the CAA performed well today. Give credit where it is due.

QFT.

Even if you say "Oh, well, the CAA had three of the four games at home", you still have to give credit - they generally dominated, UNH was just stupendous, and the CAA definitely showed they're the class of FCS as a conference.

Even if they somehow don't have a team win the national championship, I think it's hard to argue, top to bottom, that the CAA isn't the best conference in FCS. Hopefully not the best team, but I'm a homer hopeful in that regard! xpeacex

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 28th, 2009, 09:32 PM

You mean the GSU team that got lucky and beat Northeastern in OT in Statesboro? And the Furman team that barely beat a lower tier Delaware at home? Or the Elon team that got spanked at home by Richmond? They were just as good or better than the UNH team that beat SIU in Carbondale and lost by two to UNI in Cedar Falls? Seriously??? xconfusedx

Only reason you feel vindicated is because nothing anybody says will change your mind or get you to look at things objectively. xrolleyesx

Franks Tanks
November 28th, 2009, 09:33 PM

HC had a very good season, but I dont know if that is true.

The PL has produced several teams better than the 09 saders.

Bogus Megapardus
November 28th, 2009, 09:33 PM
AMEN!!!! But Cross couldnt run hence the difference.

Not anywhere near the way 'Nova could, for sure!

Don't get me wrong, though - HC contained Colgate's powerful run game behind Nate Eachus earlier in the season, so it could handle the run. Villanova's rushing attack was just a little more than the Crusaders could absorb this afternoon.

Best of luck the rest of the way, Wildcats. Crusaders? You instilled pride in our humble little league once again, Thanks!

UNHFan
November 28th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Not anywhere near the way 'Nova could, for sure!

Don't get me wrong, though - HC contained Colgate's powerful run game behind Nate Eachus earlier in the season, so it could handle the run. Villanova's rushing attack was just a little more than the Crusaders could absorb this afternoon.

Best of luck the rest of the way, Wildcats. Crusaders? You instilled pride in our humble little league once again, Thanks!

Thanks Pal... Live and breath UNH Football. Already got my NY boys to take a trip with me to Philly. :)

WrenFGun
November 28th, 2009, 10:03 PM
You mean the GSU team that got lucky and beat Northeastern in OT in Statesboro? And the Furman team that barely beat a lower tier Delaware at home? Or the Elon team that got spanked at home by Richmond? They were just as good or better than the UNH team that beat SIU in Carbondale and lost by two to UNI in Cedar Falls? Seriously??? xconfusedx

Only reason you feel vindicated is because nothing anybody says will change your mind or get you to look at things objectively. xrolleyesx

I don't even know if it's necessary to dignify him with a response, to be honest. He does a good job himself of lacking any credibility..

Hoyadestroya85
November 28th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Telling your self that a google times will not ever make it true.

You spelled google wrong, it's googol. xthumbsupx

GreatAppSt
November 28th, 2009, 10:08 PM
GPI (http://www.collegesportingnews.com/stats/writer/GPI/20091123gpi.html)

Like I said. Would have been just as easy to send SCSU to W&M.

GPI is computerized horse hockey.

GreatAppSt
November 28th, 2009, 10:09 PM
You spelled google wrong, it's googol. xthumbsupxRight over the head huhxlolxxlolx

UNHFan
November 28th, 2009, 10:21 PM

Wow great job!!

State Line Liquors
November 28th, 2009, 10:28 PM

But it's considered acceptable criteria by the selection committee.

GreatAppSt
November 28th, 2009, 10:33 PM
But it's considered acceptable criteria by the selection committee.

Your catching on, Horse hockey in = horse hockey out.xthumbsupx

You must be from Dewey Beach?

Hoyadestroya85
November 28th, 2009, 10:36 PM
Villanova would have run away with the game today if it wasn't for the SOCON refs..
I smell a conspiracy xlolxxlolx

seriously though, the refs were terrible and it looked like they were trying their hardest to get holy cross back into the game. I have never in my life suspected something fishy with the officiating of a game, but it seemed like they were trying their hardest to allow Holy Cross to cover the spread, especially with the two horrible pass interference penalties (one in which the defender wasn't even close to the receiver) and the illegal block in the back which probably didn't happen since the receiver who was called for the penalty was pushed into the ground plus where/when the flag was thrown indicated that the player called for the penalty was beyond the first down marker, so it should have been first and ten Villanova from the spot after the penalty, instead it was second and long.

Any time Villanova positioned itself to get a stop and put the game away, the officials conveniently threw a flag.. it wasn't enough that it was obvious, but i've seen enough football in my day to know when something isn't right.

Bettina90
November 28th, 2009, 10:43 PM
Come on, Hoya.....don't go all SoCon on us...

HenZoneNation
November 28th, 2009, 10:47 PM
GreatAppSt,

MEAC is 0-11 in the playoffs since 2000, you basically got a bye.

JMUNJ08
November 28th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Villanova would have run away with the game today if it wasn't for the SOCON refs..

seriously though, the refs were terrible and it looked like they were trying their hardest to get holy cross back into the game. I have never in my life suspected something fishy with the officiating of a game, but it seemed like they were trying their hardest to allow Holy Cross to cover the spread, especially with the two horrible pass interference penalties (one in which the defender wasn't even close to the receiver) and the illegal block in the back which probably didn't happen since the receiver who was called for the penalty was pushed into the ground plus where/when the flag was thrown indicated that the player called for the penalty was beyond the first down marker, so it should have been first and ten Villanova from the spot after the penalty, instead it was second and long.

Any time Villanova positioned itself to get a stop and put the game away, the officials conveniently threw a flag.. it wasn't enough that it was obvious, but i've seen enough football in my day to know when something isn't right.

By rule a penalty on a play that creates a first down but brings it back behind is NOT a first down. (ex: On a second down a runner gets to the 40 but a holding penalty when a runner is at the 35 brings it to the 25. The first down marker was at the 30. The next play is 2 down and 5.) Just wanted to help ya out even though the refs were bad. xthumbsupx

JMUNJ08
November 28th, 2009, 11:02 PM
The CAA had no easy games and several people saw us going 1-3 (app st. and montana fans from what i recall). 4-0 was a great accomplishment and the style points for UNH and W&M (considered 3&4 out of the CAA) was a surprise.

What poor sports APP ST. fans seem to be. Reading through this thread they generating a lot of smack but NOTHING to back it up. If not for that missed snap on the FG chance by SCST they may have very well lost that game. It was a sloppy game by both teams in Boone but Appy was lucky to move on.

Should be a bunch of great games last week. CAA could go 1-3. We don't think we are unstoppable but have the greatest odds of a conference to win it. Still, I will not bet against us.

MR. CHICKEN
November 28th, 2009, 11:15 PM

WANT FISHY......GO PLAY NAVY IN ANNAPOLIS.....NOT JES' DUH BAD OYSTERS-ON-DUH-HALF-SHELL....DRIVIN' EVERAH...ALLEY CAT CRAZY....IT'S ALMOST LIKE....OBAMA PROCLAIMED NAVAL IMMUNITY....MIDDIES GET EVERAH CLOSE CALL.....AN' MANY NOT SO.............BUT YA KNOW...I'M ROOTIN' 'EM ON IN HAWAII............DOODLE-DOO!

Reign of Terrier
November 28th, 2009, 11:15 PM
GreatAppSt,

MEAC is 0-11 in the playoffs since 2000, you basically got a bye.

numbers aren't everything, because numbers say that SC state barely got challenged in the MEAC this yearxrulesx

B&G
November 28th, 2009, 11:32 PM
I disagree with the people disparaging SC State... no need for that. But I can't help but agree that CAA > SoCon... at least for the present. Props to them for going 4-0 this week. And even if ASU does somehow win the title, it won't change CAA > SoCon. It would just mean ASU > CAA.

Hoyadestroya85
November 28th, 2009, 11:34 PM
By rule a penalty on a play that creates a first down but brings it back behind is NOT a first down. (ex: On a second down a runner gets to the 40 but a holding penalty when a runner is at the 35 brings it to the 25. The first down marker was at the 30. The next play is 2 down and 5.) Just wanted to help ya out even though the refs were bad. xthumbsupx

That's right, I'm thinking of dead ball fouls.. The fact is, the block in the back didn't even happen in the first place.

HenZoneNation
November 28th, 2009, 11:35 PM
0-11 says a lot...then look at some of the blowout, shut out losses they have had and you see that numbers mean a lot. Numbers show how amazing teams like Appy St, UNI, Montana are...they also show how bad a the MEAC is...If UD makes the playoffs next year I pray to the gods of football that we get an MEAC team...if that's the case then they'll be 0-12.

Hoyadestroya85
November 28th, 2009, 11:35 PM
I disagree with the people disparaging SC State... no need for that. But I can't help but agree that CAA > SoCon... at least for the present. Props to them for going 4-0 this week. And even if ASU does somehow win the title, it won't change CAA > SoCon. It would just mean ASU > CAA.
We have a winner

GreatAppSt
November 29th, 2009, 12:02 AM
The CAA had no easy games and several people saw us going 1-3 (app st. and montana fans from what i recall). 4-0 was a great accomplishment and the style points for UNH and W&M (considered 3&4 out of the CAA) was a surprise.

What poor sports APP ST. fans seem to be. Reading through this thread they generating a lot of smack but NOTHING to back it up. If not for that missed snap on the FG chance by SCST they may have very well lost that game. It was a sloppy game by both teams in Boone but Appy was lucky to move on.

Should be a bunch of great games last week. CAA could go 1-3. We don't think we are unstoppable but have the greatest odds of a conference to win it. Still, I will not bet against us.
Talk about a lot of smack but nothing to back it up, how's home?

HenZoneNation
November 29th, 2009, 12:08 AM
You'll be seeing a lot of home after AE is gone...I remember all the APPY threads after AE got hurt cutting his lawn...something about 'don't worry, the next guy in line is just as good,'...enjoy him now because next year it's all gone.

crusader11
November 29th, 2009, 12:09 AM

A gimme game? Really? Holy Cross probably would have beaten over half the teams in the field with their performance today.

crusader11
November 29th, 2009, 12:16 AM

And about that fumble.....

Get a grip pal. Can you really not stand that Holy Cross hung tough with you guys and almost won?

HenZoneNation
November 29th, 2009, 12:43 AM
Nova fans are tough to find and understand...that doesn't take away from the fact that their team will be very hard to beat this year...very hard.

State Line Liquors
November 29th, 2009, 01:30 AM

And you must be from the typewriter era. Horse hockey won today. 7 of 8 games played today the GPI favorite won. Good enough predictor for me.

blukeys
November 29th, 2009, 02:13 AM

Sorry GAS, you spent too much time in Felton. Everyone knows that a name like State Line Liquors means you are from between Newark De. and Elkton Md. `

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 29th, 2009, 06:38 AM
I have had a few beers tonight.....
That being said, the CAA from top to bottom is way ahead of the rest of the conferences. Not only do they have 4 of the 8 teams alive in this year's playoffs....but those 4 are all in the top 10 in the polls!xeekx So it isnt like they had a team or two that squeeked in the field.
And if that isnt enough, JMU, UMASS, and Delaware, none of which are in this playoffs this year, have all played for national championships the past 5 seasons. xeekx
Oh and toss in Maine for good measure since they made the playoffs last year.
All in all, the facts done lie, the SOCON has had Elon, ASU, GSU, and Furman with successful seasons lately, but RIGHT NOW, im sorry but it's not even close.

More proof that beer allows you to see things more clearly

caribbeanhen
November 29th, 2009, 07:28 AM
Wish we had 3 additional teams in the SOCON..... Just cause you have 12 teams in your division (which is higher than the Socon 9 and maybe highest of all the conferences? I dunno ) DOESN'T mean your better... and explains why you ALWAYS get so many in the Playoffs....

go away kid, your bothering me

caribbeanhen
November 29th, 2009, 07:34 AM

the CAA advantage is an easy one... talent

caribbeanhen
November 29th, 2009, 07:38 AM
A gimme game? Really? Holy Cross probably would have beaten over half the teams in the field with their performance today.

yep, SCST and HC > Hens, for this year anyway

Husky4Life
November 29th, 2009, 08:06 AM

Your boys will get thier crack at the CAA next week. Enjoy your win today! xthumbsupx

ViennaSpider
November 29th, 2009, 09:01 AM
CAA > Socon = FALSE

SOCON ² < CAA

gmoney55
November 29th, 2009, 09:15 AM

How can there be a post about the refs in the HC/Nova game that doesn't talk about an obvious fumble that was somehow called "down" when the game was still tied 14-14. That's a bigger call than any of the above mentioned. And maybe your D could have put the game away if they didn't let the QB go 31-of-51 for 347 with 3 TDs and 0 INT.

TribeinDC
November 29th, 2009, 09:27 AM
How can there be a post about the refs in the HC/Nova game that doesn't talk about an obvious fumble that was somehow called "down" when the game was still tied 14-14. That's a bigger call than any of the above mentioned. And maybe your D could have put the game away if they didn't let the QB go 31-of-51 for 347 with 3 TDs and 0 INT.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't replay in effect for the playoffs?

Husky4Life
November 29th, 2009, 09:41 AM
In the past, replay has not been used until the Championship game. I believe it's entirely dependent upon a reliable TV broadcast. Don't quote me on that though.

gmoney55
November 29th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't replay in effect for the playoffs?

I know it is in title games, but this one wasn't televised so nothing to really go to.

paul1978
November 29th, 2009, 09:44 AM
I know it is in title games, but this one wasn't televised so nothing to really go to.

Instant reply is only used in the semi and championship games. This is because these are the only rounds that are fully televised.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 29th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Elaborate on this easy playoff slate.

You've already said you think UR and Elon was a fair match.

Where would you have sent Holy Cross? Who should the #2 seed should have played?

UNH had to travel to the Southland Champion.

I'm not saying the brackets weren't constructed as they should have been given the rankings. I'm just simply pointing out that the best team the CAA had to play was Elon, and the other three are probably in the bottom half of the bracket...Weber was one of the last teams in...and then there's the PL champs...xcoffeex

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 29th, 2009, 10:19 AM
I'm not saying the brackets weren't constructed as they should have been given the rankings. I'm just simply pointing out that the best team the CAA had to play was Elon, and the other three are probably in the bottom half of the bracket...Weber was one of the last teams in...and then there's the PL champs...xcoffeex

Of the 4 Non-CAA teams that advanced...

Montana
App State
SIU
SFA

Who played harder first round opponents than the CAA teams did?

Please list.

Duke Dawg
November 29th, 2009, 10:25 AM
couple interesting scores I found this year:

McNeese State 40 @ Appalachain State 35

New Hampshire 49 @ McNeese State 13

WrenFGun
November 29th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Of the 4 Non-CAA teams that advanced...

Montana
App State
SIU
SFA

Who played harder first round opponents than the CAA teams did?

Please list.

I think it's at least possible that SDSU and SCST would beat McNeese, Holy Cross and Weber State, IMO.

wideright82
November 29th, 2009, 10:28 AM

It's a lot easier to get off the pass when a Buchanan Award nominee is not rushing the pass..... just sayin....

caribbeanhen
November 29th, 2009, 10:32 AM
It's a lot easier to get off the pass when a Buchanan Award nominee is not rushing the pass..... just sayin....

elaborate please, I picked Nova in all the pools and already thinking
xoopsx

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 29th, 2009, 10:34 AM
I think it's at least possible that SDSU and SCST would beat McNeese, Holy Cross and Weber State, IMO.

Sure its possible. I really want to see feedback from the Ga Southern fan who made the original argument.

89Hen
November 29th, 2009, 10:39 AM
And even if ASU does somehow win the title, it won't change CAA > SoCon. It would just mean ASU > CAA.
xnodx Just like 2005-2007.

wideright82
November 29th, 2009, 10:41 AM
elaborate please, I picked Nova in all the pools and already thinking
xoopsx

Tim Kukucka didn't play the entire first half, not sure what reason just yet.xsmhx

caribbeanhen
November 29th, 2009, 10:45 AM
thanks, Yes I remember him last week... so he played the second half? if so, could it have been a slap on the wrist for something?

MacThor
November 29th, 2009, 10:56 AM

Um, Richmond got the highest-ranked "underdog" of all the favorites (using whatever ranking system you choose), and they're a seed. How is that CAA favoritism?

MacThor
November 29th, 2009, 11:01 AM

That must explain why the ACC is always putting multiple teams in contention for the BCS Title game.

B&G
November 29th, 2009, 11:04 AM

I get what you're trying to lay down but honestly scores from September are about as relevant right now as scores from last season.

As for who played the toughest opponent of the first round winners? Well according to the prestigious AGS Poll... that would be Appalachian State.

gmoney55
November 29th, 2009, 11:10 AM

He played the entire second half, and Nova still had no sacks and HC probably moved it as well or better.

wideright82
November 29th, 2009, 11:16 AM
He played the entire second half, and Nova still had no sacks and HC probably moved it as well or better.

Yeah, they did move the ball well. But all that matter is the W. Survive and advance, enough talk about the W, let's start the talk about beating UNH.xrotatehx

Uncle Buck
November 29th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Wow, i was on the road back from Virginia yesterday and kept checking scores on my phone. Hell of a day for the CAA. Congrats to all of yesterday's winners.

State Line Liquors
November 29th, 2009, 12:37 PM

I've been told that when you are a good team that is ranked in the top of the bracket, that typically you earn the right to play a team ranked in the bottom of the bracket.

MEAC champs have a history of better playoff performance than the Patriot League, right?

Husky4Life
November 29th, 2009, 12:40 PM

When you get to the playoffs, if you're on a top ranked team you should get the lower seeds in the first round. It's not the CAA's fault they put 3 of the top 5 and 4 of the top 8 in the GPI. This is what the NCAA uses to determine at-large bids & seeding. The NCAA actually should have given all 4 teams home games if it was true to it's formula. So in reality the CAA was done no favors in these match-ups and still won.

Stop whining SoCon fans, you're a top heavy conference which only gets 2 or 3 of the same four (Elon, ASU, Furman or GSU) teams into the playoffs each year. That's pretty damn good if you ask me, stop hating. But the CAA is tops, it's gotten 10 of it's 12 members into the playoffs in the last decade.

ronpayne
November 29th, 2009, 01:03 PM

Following your logic:

Elon 13 @ Richmond 16 (-3)

AppState 27 @ Elon 10 (+17)

AppState @ Richmond (ASU by 14)

Transitive properties do not apply in football. Next week will be another round of great games! I know that the Apps CAN win the game, but I also know that Richmond will be bringing it.... here's to hoping ESPN2 will pick up the game, because a great game it will be - I think the winner goes all the way!

GreatAppSt
November 29th, 2009, 02:57 PM
And you must be from the typewriter era. Horse hockey won today. 7 of 8 games played today the GPI favorite won. Good enough predictor for me.

Not the typwriter era back then I could have used the appropriate words, but right now we are in the era of the Mods and I must conform.

GreatAppSt
November 29th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Sorry GAS, you spent too much time in Felton. Everyone knows that a name like State Line Liquors means you are from between Newark De. and Elkton Md. ` I agree, I asked because most folks I met from Dewey were either dense or drunk, and many times both.xsmiley_wix:D

UNHFootballAlum
November 29th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Following your logic:

Elon 13 @ Richmond 16 (-3)

AppState 27 @ Elon 10 (+17)

AppState @ Richmond (ASU by 14)

Transitive properties do not apply in football. Next week will be another round of great games! I know that the Apps CAN win the game, but I also know that Richmond will be bringing it.... here's to hoping ESPN2 will pick up the game, because a great game it will be - I think the winner goes all the way!

It can't be transitive if ASU lost to McNeese

Hoyadestroya85
November 29th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Nova fans are tough to find and understand...that doesn't take away from the fact that their team will be very hard to beat this year...very hard.

I'll give you tough to find, but understand? I question that.. I'm usually very rational about most things and I only question officiating aloud of there is something egregious that happened and those two PI penalties on James Pitts were the definition of egregious.. they were the equivalent of the "punch" that Ali threw to knock out Sonny Liston, non existent.

Harvey was not called down, the officials determined that his forward progress was stopped, which from my angle (right on top of the play) was the correct call and I say that with a reasonable degree of certainty. HC was 3-10 on third downs the entire game so Villanova's defense was doing something right.

The Main Reason I bitch about the penalties is that Villanova simply didn't commit penalties this season. If we weren't so disciplined i would have no gripes.

JMU Newbill
November 29th, 2009, 03:56 PM
The arrogance of App State fans never ceases to amaze me. Great job this week CAA... keep kicking ass and taking names.

Hoyadestroya85
November 29th, 2009, 04:00 PM

Yes, but Randolph completed 56 percent of his passes in the second half compared to 63 percent in the first. And Sacks? are you really going to use sacks as a measure of pass rush? Hits are more important and in the second half, Randolph was getting pressured and hit, plus he made some plays that not many other quarterbacks are going to make.

crusader11
November 29th, 2009, 04:18 PM
plus he made some plays that not many other quarterbacks are going to make.

He sure did. It's unfortunate that the Payton Award voters could not have submitted their vote on Saturday evening; I think Randolph would have definitely garnered some more votes. Oh well, he's still the best QB in FCS in my mind.

Hoyadestroya85
November 29th, 2009, 04:50 PM
He was definitely the best quarterback I saw play against Villanova all season

ASUG8
November 29th, 2009, 04:59 PM

Nice try on the transitive property xrulesx

B&G
November 29th, 2009, 05:48 PM
When you get to the playoffs, if you're on a top ranked team you should get the lower seeds in the first round. It's not the CAA's fault they put 3 of the top 5 and 4 of the top 8 in the GPI. This is what the NCAA uses to determine at-large bids & seeding. The NCAA actually should have given all 4 teams home games if it was true to it's formula. So in reality the CAA was done no favors in these match-ups and still won.

Stop whining SoCon fans, you're a top heavy conference which only gets 2 or 3 of the same four (Elon, ASU, Furman or GSU) teams into the playoffs each year. That's pretty damn good if you ask me, stop hating. But the CAA is tops, it's gotten 10 of it's 12 members into the playoffs in the last decade.

Cue Wofford fans in 5...4...3...

Reign of Terrier
November 29th, 2009, 06:05 PM

Cue Wofford fans in 5...4...3...

you rang?

seriously though, that's them most ignorant post of the thread. This is Elon's first year in, GSU and Furman have not made the playoffs since 2005 and 2006 (I think I just made our conference look worse just now). Wofford has been in the playoffs 3 times since 2003, and should have been in in 2002

BDKJMU
November 29th, 2009, 06:06 PM

And by quoting some opinion poll you apparently think that opinion poll isn't.

BDKJMU
November 29th, 2009, 06:23 PM

Apparently not.xlolx

appst97
December 6th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Congrats! on Saturday the BigSky went 1-0 100%, the SoCon went 1-0 100%, ahhhh the AllWorld CAA could only muster a AVERAGE 2-2 50%

tribe_pride
December 6th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Congrats! on Saturday the BigSky went 1-0 100%, the SoCon went 1-0 100%, ahhhh the AllWorld CAA could only muster a AVERAGE 2-2 50%

Gotta love when you can mess with percentage stats to your advantage :D

caribbeanhen
December 6th, 2009, 09:12 AM

CAA will be in Chatty, it's a fact
So looking forward to meeting up with you again assuming all goes well in Grizwald

appst97
December 6th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Gotta love when you can mess with percentage stats to your advantage :D

What is the quote? " Lies, Damn Lies, and Statitistics. " It would have been interesting if they had sent either Villanova or UNH out west.

tribe_pride
December 6th, 2009, 09:17 AM
What is the quote? " Lies, Damn Lies, and Statitistics. " It would have been interesting if they had sent either Villanova or UNH out west.

Would have had to have been UNH. Villanova is a seed. And as you know, we were sent out west.

appst97
December 6th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Would have had to have been UNH. Villanova is a seed. And as you know, we were sent out west.

I was referring to the same bracket as Richmond and Montana

Longhorn
December 6th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Congrats to W&M and NOVA on their wins. Too bad UNH had to pair off against one of our own, and couldn't have played Montana. UR fell apart in the fourth against ASU, but you have to admire AE and company for their comeback. None-the-less, a very impressive win by W&M on the road. W&M looks like a team that's focused and determined. Congrats to UR and UNH for a fine season, and to UR on a 2 year run and it's NC. I guess the watch now begins to see if London stays at UR or takes the big $$ should UVA or another FBS program come calling.

MacThor
December 6th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Interesting factoid:

For three straight seasons, the CAA South #1 and #3 have made the national semis.
The prior two years, it was CAA South #3 that advanced to the finals.

Saint3333
December 6th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Interesting factoid:

For three straight seasons, the CAA South #1 and #3 have made the national semis.
The prior two years, it was CAA South #3 that advanced to the finals.

I think the trend continues.

MacThor
December 6th, 2009, 02:45 PM
I think the trend continues.

I think so too, though this is the first time the two have squared off.

Hoyadestroya85
December 6th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Lest we forget that the first Villanova-W&M game if not for a garbage time touchdown was a blowout?

MacThor
December 6th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Lest we forget that the first Villanova-W&M game if not for a garbage time touchdown was a blowout?

True, but I've watched a lot of W&M this year and they are now playing much better football than on that day.

Hoyadestroya85
December 6th, 2009, 03:07 PM
True, but I've watched a lot of W&M this year and they are now playing much better football than on that day.

I've watched a lot of Villanova this year and they're playing much better football than they were then as well.. and Villanova was unquestionably the better team that day

wideright82
December 6th, 2009, 03:21 PM
I've watched a lot of Villanova this year and they're playing much better football than they were then as well.. and Villanova was unquestionably the better team that day

I wholeheartedly disagree with that statement. W&M drove the ball at will against us, just couldn't find the endzone. If they learned how to score (which it appears they may have) it could be a long day for us. More importantly they were one 2 teams to hold us to under 200 yards rushing. I think we have about as good a defense as them, but who knows after those first two games they played. Should be a hard fought battle, but my head says the #3 CAA South team wins it all again.

tribe_pride
December 6th, 2009, 03:24 PM
It's going to be a close game. The Tribe is not as bad nor as undisciplined as it was in the first game but Nova has improved too.

The second Nova TD was a result of taunting penalty on a stopped 3rd down. Also, we have gotten better than the first half of the season in converting Red Zones into TDs as opposed to FGs. Haven't seen Nova so not sure where they have improved but I am sure they have.

I think the key to the game is which Tribe team shows up in the first quarter. If we can limit them, we should be fine (win - who knows but if not the game will be under 7) because we have always gotten stronger over the rest of the game. If Nova goes up big early, we are in trouble.

soccerguy315
December 6th, 2009, 04:24 PM

if by "blowout" you mean "W&M dominated the game everywhere except the scoreboard" (which admittedly, is the only place that counts in the end).

should be a good game.

bullseye44
December 6th, 2009, 04:30 PM
It's going to be a close game. The Tribe is not as bad nor as undisciplined as it was in the first game but Nova has improved too.

The second Nova TD was a result of taunting penalty on a stopped 3rd down. Also, we have gotten better than the first half of the season in converting Red Zones into TDs as opposed to FGs. Haven't seen Nova so not sure where they have improved but I am sure they have.

I think the key to the game is which Tribe team shows up in the first quarter. If we can limit them, we should be fine (win - who knows but if not the game will be under 7) because we have always gotten stronger over the rest of the game. If Nova goes up big early, we are in trouble.

Agreed - we have to show up on both sides of the ball in the first quarter. They came out swinging in the first matchup and we never really recovered the momentum. I really wish we had the extra day to prepare for this one.

Tribe07
December 6th, 2009, 04:33 PM

I agree completely. If we can shut them down early it should be close. Whoever dominates the clock wins this one I suspect.