PDA

View Full Version : Why Dom Randolph Tops My Payton Ballot

Lehigh Football Nation
November 27th, 2009, 07:47 AM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2009/11/why-dom-randolph-tops-my-walter-payton.html

He's the most deserving player, IMO, by far.

AppAlum2003
November 27th, 2009, 07:59 AM
What did his 15 interceptions do for his team? xcoffeex

PhoenixMan
November 27th, 2009, 08:03 AM
What did his 15 interceptions do for his team? xcoffeex

I hadn't read all of his stats, thanks for the info. A QB with 15 picks (regardless of number attempts) does not win the Payton. This award belongs to Armanti Edwards, and that's tough for me to say with my respect for Terrell Hudgins. Congrats AE!

WrenFGun
November 27th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Yeah, no offense to the PL but if you put Armanti in the Patriot League, Holy Cross goes 11-0 and it's not close. Does Dominic Randolph make Appalachian State better than Armanti Edwards? I sincerely doubt it.

JohnStOnge
November 27th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Isn't the Payton award supposed to be for the best player as opposed to the player that meant most to his team anyway?

PhoenixMan
November 27th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Isn't the Payton award supposed to be for the best player as opposed to the player that meant most to his team anyway?

Yes, it should go to the best player. I think that's Armanti. I also think App St. is a completely different team without him at the helm. Look at what happened at the start of the season when he wasn't healthy. They lost.....since he has been healthy they have not lost again. If he had been healthy all year, they beat ECU and McNeese, and are the #1 seed at 11-0 (IMO)

JohnStOnge
November 27th, 2009, 08:45 AM
Yes, it should go to the best player. I think that's Armanti. I also think App St. is a completely different team without him at the helm. Look at what happened at the start of the season when he wasn't healthy. They lost.....since he has been healthy they have not lost again. If he had been healthy all year, they beat ECU and McNeese, and are the #1 seed at 11-0 (IMO)

It's changing the subject but he the Moutaineers did not lose that game because of problems with Armanti's health. His performance was pretty much in line with what it was all season. App State's offfense was unstoppable in that game. They lost because it was one of those games where neither defense could stop the other offense and McNeese had the last offensive possession. If their defense had been able to control McNeese's offense at all it would've been an Appalachian State blowout. When the other team puts up 522 yards and gets the ball in the fourth quarter around its own 10 yard line then drives down to inside your five to burn the clock out and kick a winning field goal with a couple of seconds left you didn't lose because your quarterback wasn't playing well. When there were people on this board doubting App State after that game I stated here that the Mountaineers still had an overwhelming offense and would be fine.

AppAlum2003
November 27th, 2009, 08:48 AM
It's changing the subject but he was healthy against McNeese. His performance was pretty much in line with what it was all season. App State's offfense was unstoppable in that game. The Moutaineers did not lose that game because of problems on offense. They lost because it was one of those games where neither defense could stop the other offense and McNeese had the last offensive possession. If their defense had been able to control McNeese's offense like, say, it controlled Elon's offense it would've been an Appalachian State blowout. Amranti's health was not the Mountaineers' problem in that game. When the other team puts up 522 yards and gets the ball in the fourth quarter around its own 10 yard line then drives down to inside your five to burn the clock out and kick a winning field goal with a couple of seconds left you didn't lose because your quarterback wasn't playing well. When there were people on this board doubting App State after that game I stated here that the Mountaineers still had an overwhelming offense and would be fine.

+1

The defense lost that game for ASU. McNeese came in with a fantastic game plan and their QB was absolutely perfect (Pendland was a pain in the butt, too.) With some personnel changes, I think the ASU Defense has righted the ship, though.

Sorry, a little off topic there.

And I don't want to turn this into another thread about Armanti Edwards. Randolph has had a great year and should receive recognition like this article... just not the Payton. :D

Tribe4SF
November 27th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Why?

Because LFN is a major Patriot League Homer, that's why. A tough choice would be one thing, but he sees him as most deserving "by far".

MR. CHICKEN
November 27th, 2009, 09:12 AM
JES' TWO WORDS..LADS.......MATT SZCZUR.....DIS CAT.....IS UH ONE MAN WRECKIN' CREW......HE'LL BE MO' POPULAR DEN...BEATLES & JESUS.......BAH DUH TIME CHATTY BLING...IS BOXED TA DUH MAIN-LINE...xeekxxeekxxeekx..............BRAWK!

Lehigh Football Nation
November 27th, 2009, 10:04 AM
JES' TWO WORDS..LADS.......MATT SZCZUR.....DIS CAT.....IS UH ONE MAN WRECKIN' CREW......HE'LL BE MO' POPULAR DEN...BEATLES & JESUS.......BAH DUH TIME CHATTY BLING...IS BOXED TA DUH MAIN-LINE...xeekxxeekxxeekx..............BRAWK!

Matt Szczur is a great player, as is Armanti, Pendland, everyone. But I still maintain, if you take them off their teams they're still loaded. Take Randolph away, and Holy Cross is a .500 team at best.

Evidently his 15 INTs didn't hurt HC that much, as they won the PL autobid. xreadx

AppAlum2003
November 27th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Matt Szczur is a great player, as is Armanti, Pendland, everyone. But I still maintain, if you take them off their teams they're still loaded. Take Randolph away, and Holy Cross is a .500 team at best.

Evidently his 15 INTs didn't hurt HC that much, as they won the PL autobid. xreadx

I just said the same thing to a Western Carolina fan in another thread about almost beating App State last weekend:

Congrats on your moral victory!

crusader11
November 27th, 2009, 12:37 PM

We'll find out tomorrow who's better.

wideright82
November 27th, 2009, 12:52 PM

xthumbsupx you make me very happy with your Nova love Mr. Chicken.

whoanellie
November 27th, 2009, 01:06 PM
I hadn't read all of his stats, thanks for the info. A QB with 15 picks (regardless of number attempts) does not win the Payton. This award belongs to Armanti Edwards, and that's tough for me to say with my respect for Terrell Hudgins. Congrats AE! i agree

Native
November 27th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Why?

Because LFN is a major Patriot League Homer, that's why. A tough choice would be one thing, but he sees him as most deserving "by far".

...and he did not even answer his own question within the thread as to "why Dom Randolph tops my Payton ballot."

Not to worry, though. We'll get to see Dom in action against Villanova this weekend.

CFBfan
November 29th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Did yesterday's games further cloud this debate or did a few players stand out??

Lehigh Football Nation
November 29th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Did yesterday's games further cloud this debate or did a few players stand out??

xthumbsupx

AppAlum2003
November 29th, 2009, 11:30 AM

Doesn't matter - voting has already taken place.

CFBfan
November 29th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Doesn't matter - voting has already taken place.

thanks, when is the winner announced?

mattmets
November 29th, 2009, 12:32 PM
thanks, when is the winner announced?

December 17 at the Sports Network banquet.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 29th, 2009, 06:35 PM
In all seriousness, his performance yesterday ended the myth that Randolph was a chump that feasted on so-called "lesser opponents." He was the real deal at the FCS level.

I'm sure he'll get pro looks. I have no idea if he'll be drafted, but I think he'll be in an NFL camp.

ngineer
November 29th, 2009, 10:45 PM
I would not be surprised to see Randolph drafted. Maybe 5th or 6th round, depending on needs. Had HC a tougher 'D' they'd still be playing..xnodx