PDA

View Full Version : Possible motivations behind the Chris Hatcher firing

LegalGaSouthernEagle
November 26th, 2009, 10:36 AM
If you're like me, you look at this situation,and things don't seem to add up for you. There are too many loose ends, and too many things that don't make a lot of sense under the current circumstances at GSU, with an outgoing president. One thing is for sure though. The entire story is not out there in the public.

The way I see it, these are the various alternatives as to what really happened.

1. Grube, Baker, and Core decided to fire Hatcher due to the poor onfield product, and the fact that the team actually seemed to digress as the 2009 season went on.

2. Grube fired Hatcher in a unilateral move because Hatcher spoke outside of the chain of command when he complained to an alumni group about GSU's admissions policy for players.

3. Baker was the driving force behind the Hatcher firing in an effort to save his own skin from growing calls for his resignation and/or firing.

4. New incoming president Dr. Keel was the catalyst for the Hatcher firing, and is using Grube and Baker as straw men to deflect the heat from himself, so as not to begin his term by ruffling local feathers.

In my opinion, it is about 75% the first option, 5%the second option, 10% the third option, and 10% the final option.
Keel has been oddly silent on this, especially since Grube himself invoked Keel's name in the press conference.
Thoughts?

Hoyadestroya85
November 26th, 2009, 11:29 AM
How about the fact that he just wasn't the right man for the job?

GA St. MBB Fan
November 26th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Didn't Southern fans want Hatcher fired? That's the impression I had when reading Southern's board.

blueballs
November 26th, 2009, 12:19 PM
IMO #'s 1&2 about equally, but Grube's tone, facial expression, and the choice of words (referring to players with SAT scores under 920 as stupid- grounds for firing IMO) he used when asked about the entrance requirements sure seemed to strike a nerve.

Grube and Baker have dishonored the university and athletic program the board of regents and state of Georgia entrusted them with due to thier classless, unethical, stupid (yes, I said it Grube!), and mean spirited behavior. Hatcher has more class than both of those POS combined.

LegalGaSouthernEagle
November 26th, 2009, 02:36 PM
IMO #'s 1&2 about equally, but Grube's tone, facial expression, and the choice of words (referring to players with SAT scores under 920 as stupid- grounds for firing IMO) he used when asked about the entrance requirements sure seemed to strike a nerve.

Grube and Baker have dishonored the university and athletic program the board of regents and state of Georgia entrusted them with due to thier classless, unethical, stupid (yes, I said it Grube!), and mean spirited behavior. Hatcher has more class than both of those POS combined.I agree with all of that, but I can't say that I think it was a bad move to fire Hatcher. I just don't like teh way it was done.
I am most interested to find out Keel's true feelings on this subject. As far as I know, he hasn't publicly commented as of yet. I will also be interested to see if he is present as the press conference when we announce our new coach.

Eaglesrus
November 26th, 2009, 04:00 PM

Grube and Baker have dishonored the university and athletic program the board of regents and state of Georgia entrusted them with due to thier classless, unethical, stupid (yes, I said it Grube!), and mean spirited behavior. Hatcher has more class than both of those POS combined.

I think it's about a three way split between the first three. I'm hoping that Keel's input was just "well, if that's what you want to do go ahead". Your second paragraph is dead-on; well said!

Kill'em
November 26th, 2009, 11:07 PM

Nail on the head, my friend. For the record, I felt firing Hatcher was a bad move. I honestly thought this offense was not far from being a good one. We needed speed at the receiver position, a power running back, and better blocking. I do felt we needed to change defensive coordinators. I wonder if Hatcher intentionally held back because of the youth of the team.
I am almost willing to bet Grube is behind all this. Sam was just his puppet.