PDA

View Full Version : Winning Your Rivalry Game(s) vs Winning League Titles

TexasTerror
November 24th, 2009, 09:55 PM
This brings up an interesting question...

Beating the rival is more important than winning the conference title, according to Rod Broadway after talking to fans of the Grambling-Southern rivalry...

"My thoughts coming into this job was that it was about winning championships," said third-year Grambling Coach Rod Broadway, whose team meets Southern on Saturday at the Superdome. "But when I get with fans, all they want to talk about is, 'Are we going to win the Bayou Classic?'

Pete Richardson got the same feedback...

"Our goal is to win our conference championship," he said. "But the goal of our fan base is to win the Bayou Classic. At least that's what they're always asking me about. I understand that, and that's what makes this such an exciting game."

http://www.nola.com/sports/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-45/1259043691160560.xml&coll=1

What do others think? If my team goes 2-9, I hope those two wins are SFA and TXST. If we win the conference title and go to the playoffs, I do not care either way who we beat - I want SHSU on the national stage!

Rivalry games are important, but league titles seem to carry more weight...

Silenoz
November 24th, 2009, 09:57 PM
They might feel a little different if a SWAC conference title got you into the playoffs

SumItUp
November 24th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Rivalry games are important, but league titles seem to carry more weight...

Agreed. No one wants to lose their rivalry games. The only ones that would say it is more important are those that finish the year with a "2-9"-like record.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 24th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Rivalry games take on more importance when the playoffs are not involved, I agree.

GoneTribal
November 24th, 2009, 10:28 PM
we had a great game this year with Richmond. Rivalry game with conference title implications. all in all, i would rather have a conference title and lose the rivalry game though. it's nice to have a 2-9 type season and win the rivalry game, but it ain't that nice.

WestCoastAggie
November 24th, 2009, 10:54 PM
Winning these rivalry games are important but so is winning the conference and in the playoffs, if you are in the playoffs.

Ivytalk
November 24th, 2009, 10:56 PM
If Harvard's Tim Murphy went 2-8 every year for the rest of his career, and the wins were against Yale and Princeton, he'd keep his job.xrolleyesx

DFW HOYA
November 24th, 2009, 11:01 PM
Georgetown doesn't have a rivalry game, and that hurts fan interest and program development.

The closest thing to a rival school doesnt want to play Georgetown.

http://www.villanova.com

SIUallDay
November 24th, 2009, 11:07 PM
We won the conference hardware AND beat our in-conference rivals.....great year in the MVFC ....:D

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 24th, 2009, 11:14 PM
Rivalry games take on more importance when the playoffs are not involved, I agree.

If Harvard's Tim Murphy went 2-8 every year for the rest of his career, and the wins were against Yale and Princeton, he'd keep his job.xrolleyesx

xwhistlex

813Jag
November 25th, 2009, 12:11 AM
I already had an idea of what this topic was about before I clicked on it. This is from a Southern point of view and I know folks from Grambling feel the same way those two go hand in hand. For whatever it's worth winning the SWAC is important.personally I'd take the title and the classic win. Beating Grambling just to beat them is only fun if it spoils their season. Of course there are people that want to win the classic above all. But ask people in Baton Rouge how they feel about not winning swac since 03 even though the beat Grambling in 06 and 07.

WestCoastAggie
November 25th, 2009, 12:18 AM
I already had an idea of what this topic was about before I clicked on it. This is from a Southern point of view and I know folks from Grambling feel the same way those two go hand in hand. For whatever it's worth winning the SWAC is important.personally I'd take the title and the classic win. Beating Grambling just to beat them is only fun if it spoils their season. Of course there are people that want to win the classic above all. But ask people in Baton Rouge how they feel about not winning swac since 03 even though the beat Grambling in 06 and 07.

It appears that there are more "fans" that just care about this game only. Heck, more people are there just to see the bands and will leave right after halftime and that is a problem, IMHO.

813Jag
November 25th, 2009, 12:40 AM
It appears that there are more "fans" that just care about this game only. Heck, more people are there just to see the bands and will leave right after halftime and that is a problem, IMHO.
I won't argue this because people will always stick to their point but if you think a higher percentage of Southern fans are happy just winning the classic then you're crazy. If that was the case people would be happy with Coach Richardson after all he is 12-4 in the Classic, but not winning SWAC since 03 has lots of people upset. But I'm sure you know more about what Southern fans think than I do. xrolleyesx

Like I said previously I know there are people who only care about the classic as there are fans at other schools that only care about beating rivals.

WestCoastAggie
November 25th, 2009, 12:55 AM
I won't argue this because people will always stick to their point but if you think a higher percentage of Southern fans are happy just winning the classic then you're crazy. If that was the case people would be happy with Coach Richardson after all he is 12-4 in the Classic, but not winning SWAC since 03 has lots of people upset. But I'm sure you know more about what Southern fans think than I do. xrolleyesx

Like I said previously I know there are people who only care about the classic as there are fans at other schools that only care about beating rivals.

Don't be so sensitive man. I'm just an outsider looking at things from an outside point of view.

813Jag
November 25th, 2009, 01:39 AM
Don't be so sensitive man. I'm just an outsider looking at things from an outside point of view.
It's all good, this entire thread is an outsiders point of view. xlolx It just gets old around here reading people speak on things like they know entirely what's going on and don't really take into account what people who have experienced these situations for over 25 years.

Golden Eagle
November 25th, 2009, 06:49 AM
I'd rather beat MTSU than win the OVC, though that's a I-A/I-AA thing so maybe it doesn't count.

Otherwise, I'd rather win the conference over any of the lesser rivalries we have now.