PDA

View Full Version : JMU to play Virginia Tech in 2010

BDKJMU
November 24th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Breaking news this morning in the DNR, which you now have to have a subscription to read:
http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=42601&CHID=3&sub=

BDKJMU
November 24th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Been to lane Stadium twice before myself- the last game of the 99' season when VT with Vick thumped BC to go 11-0 and face FSU in the National Title game and also when they thumped BC in 01' when VT was ranked in the top 10-15 at the time. But that was before they had finished their major expansion and seated about 54k. The following year I believe they were at their current about 66k capacity.

Didn't see either JMU game at Lane in the last decade 99' when VT beat a 1st round playoff JMU team in the opener that season 47-0 in Mike Vick's debut and 03' in a 43-0 VT win.

So I guess I'll go watch that likely a** whippin. Oh well, it should be a great tailgate atmosphere with a large contingent from JMU. Its about 2 hrs from JMU and as far as the alumni bases, 3+ hrs from Richmond, and around 4-5 from most all of the Tidewater area and DC area.

appmaj
November 24th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Been to Lane Stadium a few times. Went to their first ACC game (loss to NC State) and to every UNC/VT game since then (until this year). LOVE it there! Great atmosphere, great fans. Never had a problem always felt welcome even while wearing Carolina Blue.

BDKJMU
November 24th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Been to Lane Stadium a few times. Went to their first ACC game (loss to NC State) and to every UNC/VT game since then (until this year). LOVE it there! Great atmosphere, great fans. Never had a problem always felt welcome even while wearing Carolina Blue.

True, but I was just thinking @ VT was just substituted for @ VMI. Meaning a sure loss was just substituted for almost a sure win. I was thinking a good chance for 8-3 just went down to 7-4 on the playoff bubble with the newly expanded field. Oh well.

mcveyrl
November 24th, 2009, 08:41 PM
True, but I was just thinking @ VT was just substituted for @ VMI. Meaning a sure loss was just substituted for almost a sure win. I was thinking a good chance for 8-3 just went down to 7-4 on the playoff bubble with the newly expanded field. Oh well.

Yea, we definitely just traded a win for some money, but it is much needed.

With our schedule, I think we'll be in a 20 team field at 7-4. The key is going to be going 2-1 OOC. We can't drop the ball (literally and figuratively) against Liberty. 5-3 in conference should put us around 5th in the CAA and 5 CAA teams should get into that field. Of course that's all contingent on who we lose to.

JMUNJ08
November 24th, 2009, 08:43 PM
We were going to play @ VMI too right? I loved going down there the last time we played.

Still, glad we got this game. It should be a big thing every few years at least.

JmuSkinsfan
November 24th, 2009, 11:01 PM
Nope. I guess VMI and JMU agreed to drop their 2010 game in Lexington so both could pursue FBS opponents instead. THus, we drop our @ VMI game for @ VaTech

James Madison's Home and Away games next year should look like this:

Delaware
William and Mary
Rhode Island
Hofstra/Umass/Maine (Northeastern replacement)
Liberty (still up in the air about where it is?)
Moorehead State

@UNH
@Nova
@Richmond
@Towson
@VaTech

It also looks like we will start the season with Moorehead State at Bridgeforth before traveling to Blacksburg in week 3 (Sept 11). Those are now the only games locked in place since the conference schedule is going to be re-shuffled.

19Duke97
November 24th, 2009, 11:23 PM
Nope. I guess VMI and JMU agreed to drop their 2010 game in Lexington so both could pursue FBS opponents instead. THus, we drop our @ VMI game for @ VaTech

Delaware
William and Mary
Rhode Island
Moorehead State

@UNH
@Nova
@Richmond
@Towson
@VaTech

It also looks like we will start the season with Moorehead State at Bridgeforth before traveling to Blacksburg in week 3 (Sept 11). Those are now the only games locked in place since the conference schedule is going to be re-shuffled.

I sure wish we could flip that open date. it would be much nicer to get the VT game out of the way then take stock of where we are. I have a feeling this schedule is far from firm though, so who knows.

JMUNJ08
November 24th, 2009, 11:57 PM
I sure wish we could flip that open date. it would be much nicer to get the VT game out of the way then take stock of where we are. I have a feeling this schedule is far from firm though, so who knows.

The first game against Moorehead St. will give us the chance to see what we got after the graduation of some key players. Then we can retool and have a better understanding of "us" for VT to give them a game. You don't get to surprise the big boys as much but should be fun and exciting.

Don't forget, some JMU players were snubbed by VT and they will play with a little extra intensity.

kdinva
November 25th, 2009, 12:02 AM

Delaware
William and Mary
Rhode Island
Moorehead State

@UNH
@Nova
@Richmond
@Towson
@VaTech

....and VMI will now go to UVa. in lieu of the JMU game..........Was very surprised recently to find out that the Harrisonburg paper was "pay per view" now....xchinscratchx

JmuSkinsfan
November 25th, 2009, 01:27 AM
Well the championshipsubdivision has the 2010 schedules up but that is before the conference reshuffle. However, I'm assuming when the CAA puts everything in the computer they will put in the dates where teams have OOC games scheduled.

Week 1 we have a bye.
week 2 we have moorehead state at home
week 3 at tech

but we had a bye later in the season, so its not like our bye is in week 1 again and we dont have another. i guess theres an extra week next year

mcveyrl
November 25th, 2009, 01:30 AM
Well the championshipsubdivision has the 2010 schedules up but that is before the conference reshuffle. However, I'm assuming when the CAA puts everything in the computer they will put in the dates where teams have OOC games scheduled.

Week 1 we have a bye.
week 2 we have moorehead state at home
week 3 at tech

but we had a bye later in the season, so its not like our bye is in week 1 again and we dont have another. i guess theres an extra week next year

Travis's schedule chart has every team's week 1 as a bye. There's no extra week, but the bye will get moved in that chart.

GoneTribal
November 25th, 2009, 01:34 AM
you guys have a brutal away schedule next year.

mcveyrl
November 25th, 2009, 01:37 AM
you guys have a brutal away schedule next year.

Yep. And there's a possibility that we will be at Liberty as well, but the press release announcing the VPI game said we have Liberty at home.

bluehenbillk
November 25th, 2009, 01:38 AM
Great atmosphere, pre-game & the first few game minutes, then it'll get ugly.

mcveyrl
November 25th, 2009, 01:39 AM

Yea, they don't mess around with FCS games. I have no doubt we'll get beat pretty bad, but the money'll be nice and it's a closer trip for me than a home game.:D

I just hope we score!

19Duke97
November 25th, 2009, 01:41 AM
The first game against Moorehead St. will give us the chance to see what we got after the graduation of some key players. Then we can retool and have a better understanding of "us" for VT to give them a game. You don't get to surprise the big boys as much but should be fun and exciting.

Don't forget, some JMU players were snubbed by VT and they will play with a little extra intensity.

I'm as big a JMU fan as anyone out there, but we have zero chance of winning that game. Better to heal after this loss, neither Morehead or VT will be typical weeks for our team next year. One will be way below, and one will be way above our typical CAA opponent.

kdinva
November 25th, 2009, 01:50 AM
Yep. And there's a possibility that we will be at Liberty as well, but the press release announcing the VPI game said we have Liberty at home.

.....well, you played at Lynchburg in 2009, should be in harrisonburg in 2010.

mcveyrl
November 25th, 2009, 01:52 AM
.....well, you played at Lynchburg in 2009, should be in harrisonburg in 2010.

Yea, but several Liberty fans have said they've heard we'll be in Lynchburg to facilitate stadium construction. I've never seen the rationale behind that since we'll have already hosted Moorehead St., but I've got no reason to doubt what they've heard.

And the rumore followed that they would be in H'burg two years in a row.

JMUNJ08
November 25th, 2009, 01:55 AM
I'm as big a JMU fan as anyone out there, but we have zero chance of winning that game. Better to heal after this loss, neither Morehead or VT will be typical weeks for our team next year. One will be way below, and one will be way above our typical CAA opponent.

Agreed. I said to give them a game meaning I don't think we will but the extra week will at least get the better guys out there for a puncher's chance.

aust42
November 25th, 2009, 02:00 AM
Come on JMU ya'll owe them an a$$ whippin. Va Tech doesn't hold back against the FCS.

2008 Va Tech 24 Furman 7
2007 Va Tech 44 W&M 3
2006 Va Tech 38 Northeastern 0
2003 Va Tech 43 JMU 0
1999 Va Tech 47 JMU 0
1992 Va Tech 49 JMU 20
1991 Va Tech 41 JMU 12

kdinva
November 25th, 2009, 02:02 AM
Yea, but several Liberty fans have said they've heard we'll be in Lynchburg to facilitate stadium construction. I've never seen the rationale behind that since we'll have already hosted Moorehead St., but I've got no reason to doubt what they've heard.

And the rumore followed that they would be in H'burg two years in a row.

well, I just read your own website, and JMU is hosting Liberty in 2010.xcoffeex

mcveyrl
November 25th, 2009, 02:04 AM
well, I just read your own website, and JMU is hosting Liberty in 2010.xcoffeex

Did you see where I said it was a rumor? xcoffeex

Our website said we were playing VMI until about 12 hours ago. UD's website said they were playing Furman until...you get the picture. I never said it was set in stone. Just a rumor.

kdinva
November 25th, 2009, 02:37 AM
Did you see where I said it was a rumor? xcoffeex

Our website said we were playing VMI until about 12 hours ago. UD's website said they were playing Furman until...you get the picture. I never said it was set in stone. Just a rumor.
I gets the picturexnodx........some shuffling for quite a few teams these next dozen or so weeks.;)

mcveyrl
November 25th, 2009, 02:40 AM
I gets the picturexnodx........some shuffling for quite a few teams these next dozen or so weeks.;)

Yep. Thanks N'Eastern. (Of course, this didn't have anything to do with them, but they're easy to blame now).

IaaScribe
November 25th, 2009, 04:21 AM
What I'm hearing from Liberty people is that the LU-JMU game will be at Bridgeforth next season.

proasu89
November 25th, 2009, 05:00 AM
Breaking news this morning in the DNR, which you now have to have a subscription to read:
http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=42601&CHID=3&sub=

Soften those boys up cause we head to Blacksburg in 2011.

BDKJMU
November 25th, 2009, 07:00 AM

Last yr a 7-5 FU lost @ VT 24-7 to a VT team that won the ACC title game and Orange Bowl. Likely it won't get ugly (ugly is at least 5 TDs).

soccerguy315
November 25th, 2009, 07:05 AM
got ugly for W&M... they blocked a punt and grabbed it for a TD, and also returned a punt for a TD (if I'm remembering correctly). Not pretty. Of course, we were not very good that year either. Had a good time tailgating though.

T-Dog
September 13th, 2010, 10:43 PM
Soften those boys up cause we head to Blacksburg in 2011.

Looks like they're properly softened up. xnodx

JMUNJ08
September 13th, 2010, 11:18 PM
Looks like they're properly softened up. xnodx

Probably will buy you guys out now! Don't want to lose to the only other giant killer in back to back years...