PDA

View Full Version : WVU rusher transferring to Hofstra?

JMU Duke Dog
December 21st, 2005, 08:09 AM
http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/ny-spgwaltney214559611dec21,0,4524441.story

Gwaltney rushing back home?
Former LI star to meet with Nassau CC, Hofstra officials soon

By GREGG SARRA
STAFF WRITER; Chris Antonacci contributed to this story.

December 21, 2005

Jason Gwaltney, the all-time leading rusher and scorer in Long Island high school football history, plans to meet with officials from Nassau CC and Hofstra University this week to discuss his likely transfer from West Virginia University.

Terry Manning, Gwaltney's coach at North Babylon High School, confirmed he had contacted and spoken with coaches at both Nassau CC and Hofstra on Gwaltney's behalf. Manning said the 6-1, 230-pound tailback, who is in the midst of his freshman year after being Long Island's most sought-after recruit in years, was expected to return home last night. Manning said he would meet soon with his former star.

"He could possibly play at Hofstra or Nassau next fall depending on his grades," Manning said. "He could also end up back in West Virginia. I don't know."

West Virginia football coach Rich Rodriguez would not confirm Gwaltney's departure, but reportedly said he knew Gwaltney talked about leaving the school. Neither Gwaltney nor West Virginia officials returned calls for comment.

"His options are really limited," Rodriguez told a West Virginia newspaper. "I know he'd have to go to a junior college and graduate before getting a chance at another Division I school."

Manning said there were signs Gwaltney was questioning his choice of West Virginia. Gwaltney has said he was homesick and reportedly had academic problems.

"We have to sort this thing out and see exactly where his grades are and see what his options are," Manning said. "None of us wanted it to come to this, but apparently there were some things that didn't work out. I don't know what happened - yet."

Gwaltney accrued six summer credits to lighten his class load going into his freshman year, but reportedly missed classes and study halls and may have been struggling to remain eligible.

"I really pushed Jason toward West Virginia because I felt the coaching staff was going to motivate and stay on top of him with his studies," Manning said. "He needs someone to kick him in the butt and keep him on track and I thought they were doing that. But until we know his grades, I can't tell anyone what the plan is for the future. He may very well have limited options."

Gwaltney, a two-time Hansen Award winner as Suffolk's best player, rushed for 7,800 yards and 135 touchdowns in his career as North Babylon earned two Long Island championships.

"I guess the kid is coming home," Nassau CC coach John Anselmo said. "He's a great football player, so I obviously have some interest. He's going to go through the same things as everyone else. We're in the business of trying to get everyone back on track. Hopefully, this works out well for everyone."

Gwaltney played in six games for West Virginia and rushed for 186 yards on 45 carries and scored three touchdowns. He caught four passes for 15 yards. He sprained his right knee late in an Oct. 8 win over Rutgers, his last game this season.

Gwaltney was suspended from the team on Nov. 15 when Rodriguez said Gwaltney failed to make a commitment to the team and, reportedly, missed rehabilitation sessions.

blukeys
December 21st, 2005, 09:10 AM
Manning said there were signs Gwaltney was questioning his choice of West Virginia. Gwaltney has said he was homesick and reportedly had academic problems.

Academic Problems at WVU??????!!!

Uncle Buck
December 21st, 2005, 02:33 PM
There's no doubt the kid can play, but the whole issue would be can Cohen keep him academically on board, than I say go for it.

HENJOHN
December 21st, 2005, 03:26 PM
I have seen this kid play and he is a true I-A player. If Cohen can get him that would be a nice start for his new Off Coordinator. Hit the books Jason!

Bub
December 21st, 2005, 03:28 PM
He can't make the grades at WV, but he can at Hofstra? That doesn't seem right.

LacesOut
December 21st, 2005, 03:32 PM
A 6'1" 230 RB??? Big kid!

Tribefan
December 21st, 2005, 04:15 PM
From what I have read on some WVU boards: This kid basically stopped going to classes, stopped going to his rehab sessions, basically gave up after his injury and the emergence of Steve Slaton. In short he basically quit. He doesn't sound like somebody I would want on my team.

May guess is that he will go to Nassau for a year and end up at another I-A school on the east coast. It won't be a Big East school because he would have to sit out for two season. My wild a$$ guess is that he ends up at NC State.

TigerFan17
December 21st, 2005, 09:43 PM
He was the #1 running back recruit the year WVU nabbed him. My best friend goes there and was obsessed with this kid. He will likely DOMINATE at the I-AA level! Thats great news if Hofstra can get him!

blukeys
December 21st, 2005, 09:51 PM
He was the #1 running back recruit the year WVU nabbed him. My best friend goes there and was obsessed with this kid. He will likely DOMINATE at the I-AA level! Thats great news if Hofstra can get him!

If he can't make it academically at WVU there are very few A-10 football schools he can make it at. Umass, Towson and MAYBE Hofstra (If they really lower their standards for one player)

Uncle Buck
December 22nd, 2005, 06:58 AM
Let's not forget the kid said he was homesick, that type of depression could easily make a young man out of his element start blowing off responsibility. I would be more concerned if he had discipline problems (ie fighting etc.). Being closer to home and his head coach who he was very close to could prove to be a big benefit. He would definitely be an impact player, but no matter how you slice it, it's taking a chance on him.