PDA

View Full Version : Weber State @ William & Mary

Pages : [1] 2

ASUG8
November 22nd, 2009, 08:17 PM
this is the one matchup that seems like an afterthought from a travel perspective. Should be a good game anyway.

Tribe07
November 22nd, 2009, 08:55 PM
Not officially, but 1pm seems to be the most likely time. Noon is a possibility.

Tribe4SF
November 22nd, 2009, 09:04 PM
Tribe rushing D is somewhat unique in that the defensive line has made about 40% of the tackles for the season. If you subtract out completed passes where DBs and LBs made the tackle, the percentage is much higher. The team has 91 tackles for loss on the season. The d-line has very good quickness, and unusual foot speed. The LBs are fast, and benefit from the strong play of the line. Teams have struggled to run between the tackles against W&M, and have had virtually no success running wide.

Grizzaholic
November 22nd, 2009, 09:11 PM
Go William and Mary!

Tribe07
November 22nd, 2009, 09:23 PM
I really don't see our offense having too many difficulties with the defense. We were out of sorts offensively against Richmond because we couldn't run effectively. I don't see that being an issue here.

The big question is how the Tribe defense handles Higgins and Toone. I agree that how well the Wildcat O-line plays will probably decide this game. If we can get to Higgins like we got to Toman (UNH), there's no way even Peyton Manning could make plays. But if the O-line is solid for Weber then it might be a long day for the defense. BUT our offense should roll. It'll be either a high scoring shoot-out or a blow-out in favor of the Tribe. Hard to tell which.

soccerguy315
November 22nd, 2009, 09:23 PM
I'm a die-hard Griz fan, and I hope W&M try to stop the run. Cameron Higgins? The Dude Abides! He will light you up!xsmiley_wix

tribe passing defense has some holes. I expect W&M will be able to stop the run with 7 in the box, and probably will try to bring pressure to limit the QB's time to throw.

I Bleed Purple
November 23rd, 2009, 08:23 AM
This game excites me as we finally play someone OOC that isn't in the Great West.

W&M look to be a defensive beast from the stats I've looked at so far, but are more susceptible to the pass than the run. I'm curious to what offensive schemes the CAA does to run the ball. Out of the spread? Fullback used? Lots of counters and traps? What rushing attack has W&M not seen?

I've looked at a bunch of the stats and Weber's biggest advantage is in special teams. I bet when W&M punts it'll be away from Toone. Stats may be posted later.

Tribe4SF
November 23rd, 2009, 08:43 AM
W&M has faced five RBs who rank in the top 40 for FCS, and gave them the following...

James Mallory, CCSU....20 for 56 yds.

DeAngelo Branche, Norfolk State......7 for 31 yds.

John Griffin, Northeastern.......14 for 41 yds.

Chad Kackert, UNH.......11 for 20 yds.

Justin Forte, Richmond.....15 for 32 yds.

That's 67 carries for 180 (2.7/carry).

Villanova, which averages 222 rushing per game managed 114 against the Tribe.

I cite the RBs because it appears from the stats that Higgins does not run the ball as part of Weber's offense.

I Bleed Purple
November 23rd, 2009, 08:45 AM
You would be correct.

I'm just curious to what type of running plays are called.

GolfingGriz
November 23rd, 2009, 08:50 AM
I Bleed Purple, how is Smith's ankle? I know he was in pretty bad shape when they played the Griz and it really hurt Weber. I really hope he is feeling better because he is a critical component to your offense.

Bronco
November 23rd, 2009, 08:51 AM
Weber has two very good running backs. Smith is great if healthy.
They have players to give anyone fits. Strong team with a small following.

Tribe4SF
November 23rd, 2009, 08:53 AM
We've seen a variety of rushing attacks. UVA, Delaware, JMU, Villanova, UNH, CCSU all ran variations of the spread. We see pro sets, power I, and some other hybrids as well. Most of the good teams we've faced had QBs who could run.

I Bleed Purple
November 23rd, 2009, 08:54 AM
I Bleed Purple, how is Smith's ankle? I know he was in pretty bad shape when they played the Griz and it really hurt Weber. I really hope he is feeling better because he is a critical component to your offense.

I'm not at all convinced he was that badly hurt at all. He had been looking slow all season.

That said, he didn't get the start against NAU and played more like the backup than the starter. When he did get in, he actually looked much faster and better.

Started and played most of the Poly game and looked more like the Smith of earlier years than earlier this year.

GolfingGriz
November 23rd, 2009, 08:58 AM
I'm not at all convinced he was that badly hurt at all. He had been looking slow all season.

That said, he didn't get the start against NAU and played more like the backup than the starter. When he did get in, he actually looked much faster and better.

Started and played most of the Poly game and looked more like the Smith of earlier years than earlier this year.

Thats good. When he is playing well he is almost impossible to stop.

FCS Go!
November 23rd, 2009, 09:00 AM
Has game time been announced yet? If it's Saturday night I may be able to make it down from DC.

soccerguy315
November 23rd, 2009, 09:02 AM
Weber State -

Offense: #73 Rushing (136 ypg), #6 Passing (293 ypg), #13 Total (420 ypg), #25 Scoring (31 ppg)

Defense: #66 Rushing (150 ypg), #92 Passing (223 ypg), #79 Total (379 ypg), #32 Scoring (20 ppg)

William and Mary -

Offense: #26 Rushing (168 ypg), #52 Passing (252 ypg), #36 Total (369 ypg), #40 Scoring (26 ppg)

Defense: #1 Rushing (55 ypg), #35 Passing (181 ypg), #3 Total (237 ypg), #7 Scoring

soccerguy315
November 23rd, 2009, 09:03 AM
Has game time been announced yet? If it's Saturday night I may be able to make it down from DC.

1pm

ezgriz51
November 23rd, 2009, 09:24 AM
I'm a die-hard Griz fan, and I hope W&M try to stop the run. Cameron Higgins? The Dude Abides! He will light you up!xsmiley_wix

GoneTribal
November 23rd, 2009, 09:25 AM
I think this will be an excellent game. WSU won't be able to do a thing on the ground, but the passing attack should be able to find some gaps in the Tribe D. The key will be if the WSU O line can give their QB enough time to find the receivers. I think the W&M offense will have a solid outing...

this has shootout written all over it...maybe :-)

Green26
November 23rd, 2009, 02:02 PM
I think this will be an excellent game. WSU won't be able to do a thing on the ground, but the passing attack should be able to find some gaps in the Tribe D. The key will be if the WSU O line can give their QB enough time to find the receivers. I think the W&M offense will have a solid outing...

this has shootout written all over it...maybe :-)

Don't count on Weber not being able to do anything on the ground. The running back, Smith, is terrific and the o-line is very good.

The Weber qb, Higgins, throws the ball quickly, so a strong pass rush has to get there in a hurry. Weber often throws to the running backs. Higgins can be inconsistent, and has thrown a bunch of picks in about 3 or so games.

Weber is good on 3rd down conversion percentage.

The Weber defense doesn't seem to be as good as it was last year.

The punter returner, Toone, is very good and leads the nation. Weber's net punting (defense) is near the top in the nation.

While W&M appears to have the defense to impact Weber, I believe alot will depend on which Weber offense shows up--as well as how much early pressure can be put on Higgins.

I Bleed Purple
November 23rd, 2009, 02:22 PM
It's odd that we're ranked so high on scoring defense when you look at our total defense. I think it's because we don't give up many short fields. Our punt coverage is one of the best in the country.

We've seen a variety of rushing attacks. UVA, Delaware, JMU, Villanova, UNH, CCSU all ran variations of the spread. We see pro sets, power I, and some other hybrids as well. Most of the good teams we've faced had QBs who could run.

You'll see 'em all against us, except for the running QB. We run pretty misdirection almost exclusively with traps and counters. We have pulling OL almost every running play. We'll run a few tosses and stretch plays, and draws if you're too aggressive. We like screens and misdirection screens. Toone can run any route and probably the best route runner you'll see.

Weber does put offensive linemen in the NFL. There are currently three. However, we're banged up. Our starting LT and C are out with broken legs, our C going down last Saturday. Your D Line will have to be good to win the line of scrimmage. No cake walk there.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 23rd, 2009, 03:15 PM
My ignorant comparisons:

Weber on offense:
QB vs. Pass Rush - Even.
WRs vs. W&M DBs - Advantage Weber St.
RBs vs. DL/LB - Advantage W&M
OL vs. DL - Advantage W&M
Special Teams - Advantage Weber St.

W&M on offense:
QB vs. Weber St. Pass Rush - Even
WRs vs. Weber St. DBs - Advantage W&M
OL vs. DL - Even

Overall, I see a pretty even game. The key to the game is W&M being able to create INTs. The Tribe has a great DE and Buck Buchannan candidate that will be in the backfield all day. However, Higgins release could negate his speed to the QB. The more pressure on Higgins, the greater the likelihood for W&M to create turnovers. If so, it will be a long day for Weber St.

On the other hand, if Weber can find a way to run the ball effectively, which basically no one has done all year against W&M, then the pressure will be on W&Ms offense to hold serve so to speak. W&M will try to wear down the line with a good rushing attack, but they can throw it as well.

I expect a close game with the home team coming away the victor by about a TD. I would so love to see this game more than any other first round game. Good luck to both teams!! My head roots for the CAA, but my heart bleeds purple. xsmiley_wix

09griz
November 23rd, 2009, 05:59 PM
Weber has two very good running backs. Smith is great if healthy.
They have players to give anyone fits. Strong team with a small following.

Can't agree more, but UM whooped Weber and I don't think it had much to do with smith's injury...just good prep. However, what I would like to point out is that it doesn't matter what CAA team is up against Weber St.. This is a team that can beat any team in this bracket and its not gonna take the right circumstances to do it. They are dangerous as hell. Weber plays smashmouth football. CAA or Big Sky or not you gotta prepare for a team like this, they don't **** around and won't show up to WM intimidated one bit.

In fact they will roll into Williamsburg and light the ground beneath your feet on fire. You better be ready to play. Weber isn't gonna take this opportunity for granted.

tribe_pride
November 23rd, 2009, 07:12 PM
Don't count on Weber not being able to do anything on the ground. The running back, Smith, is terrific and the o-line is very good.

The Weber qb, Higgins, throws the ball quickly, so a strong pass rush has to get there in a hurry. Weber often throws to the running backs. Higgins can be inconsistent, and has thrown a bunch of picks in about 3 or so games.

Weber is good on 3rd down conversion percentage.

The Weber defense doesn't seem to be as good as it was last year.

The punter returner, Toone, is very good and leads the nation. Weber's net punting (defense) is near the top in the nation.

While W&M appears to have the defense to impact Weber, I believe alot will depend on which Weber offense shows up--as well as how much early pressure can be put on Higgins.

Weber may very well beat the Tribe and the Tribe will be ready and not take them lightly. That said, Weber won't beat W&M on the ground, it'll have to be done in the air where it appears that Weber is very good. Just look at Rush Defense for the Tribe compared to the opponent's averages:

UVA - 39 for 131 yards versus 92.2 yards/game
CCSU - 40 for 78 yards versus 218.4 yards/game
Norfolk State - 20 for 39 yards versus 145.5 yards/game
Delaware - 18 for (-2) yards versus 111.6 yards/game
Nova - 35 for 114 yards versus 222.2 yards/game
Northeastern - 33 for 39 yards versus 130.8 yards/game
JMU - 50 for 150 yards versus 180.5 yards/game
URI - 28 for (-46) yards versus 89.4 yards/game
Towson - 29 for 72 yards versus 104.6 yards/game
UNH - 24 for 27 yards versus 153 yards/game
Richmond - 27 for 18 yards versus 150.9 yards/game

As you can see, only FBS UVA ran more yards than their average (or even close) and only UVA averaged more than 3 yards a carry. That said, while we are in no way weak, we are not nearly as strong against the pass. Looking for a great battle.

bluehenbillk
November 23rd, 2009, 07:15 PM
I see the Big Sky getting exposed in this game, WM wins on a neutral field, much less Weber making the trip east.

89Hen
November 23rd, 2009, 07:34 PM
this is the one matchup that seems like an afterthought from a travel perspective. Should be a good game anyway.
That's better than most years. :)

89Hen
November 23rd, 2009, 07:36 PM
Craziest stat ever.... that used to be a first quarter average for URI. xeyebrowx

Green26
November 23rd, 2009, 10:23 PM
Weber may very well beat the Tribe and the Tribe will be ready and not take them lightly. That said, Weber won't beat W&M on the ground, it'll have to be done in the air where it appears that Weber is very good. Just look at Rush Defense for the Tribe compared to the opponent's averages:

UVA - 39 for 131 yards versus 92.2 yards/game
CCSU - 40 for 78 yards versus 218.4 yards/game
Norfolk State - 20 for 39 yards versus 145.5 yards/game
Delaware - 18 for (-2) yards versus 111.6 yards/game
Nova - 35 for 114 yards versus 222.2 yards/game
Northeastern - 33 for 39 yards versus 130.8 yards/game
JMU - 50 for 150 yards versus 180.5 yards/game
Towson - 29 for 72 yards versus 104.6 yards/game
UNH - 24 for 27 yards versus 153 yards/game
Richmond - 27 for 18 yards versus 150.9 yards/game

As you can see, only FBS UVA ran more yards than their average (or even close) and only UVA averaged more than 3 yards a carry. That said, while we are in no way weak, we are not nearly as strong against the pass. Looking for a great battle.

Yes, W&M looks extremely tough against the run. How does W&M stop the run? With just the base front 7, or with some safety help in the box? My point was more that W&M may not be able to completely shut down the Weber running game, as it is very good, but I certainly don't expect Weber to be able to run all over W&M or even get close to its season average. I noticed that a Weber poster said 2 of their starting o-lineman are out with broken legs, so this will presumably impact Weber's o-line and running game. Last year Weber had a great blocking back, but this year Weber has used a single back and another wideout more often.

With Weber having such a strong passing game, might W&M focus a bit less on stopping the run--in order to help with pass defense?

How does W&M gets all its sacks and pressure the qb? Base defense without much blitz, or alot of blitz?

My lack of knowledge of what W&M does is because I have not seen W&M play this year, or followed them closely.

WrenFGun
November 23rd, 2009, 10:30 PM
In the six years I've ever watched or listened to a UNH Football game, I've never heard/seen a defense that caused as many problems for our QB as W&M that game. Perhaps they were just on their game, and perhaps are OL was really bad that day, but it was unbelievable. 80% of the plays there was a question about whether we could get over the LOS/get the pass off. Unreal.

If Weber State cannot establish some semblance of a running game they will be in deep trouble. Lissimore and Tracy are beasts.

HLNgriz
November 23rd, 2009, 10:37 PM
Which Weebs team will show up. I really like Smith as a back, he is a do all back. Higgins is real icy/hot. Catch him on a hot streak watch out, catch him on a cold streak lots of picks and bad throws. Weebs is really good in special teams. They played at calpoly in the first round and won last year, not afraid to travel. Should be a great game. Go Weebs.

gbhmt
November 23rd, 2009, 10:40 PM
I think the outcome of this game will ride heavily on which Cameron Higgins shows up. If it's the one that's been playing the last few weeks, I really like Weber's chances. If it's the one that showed up for their first two games and the Montana game, they're hopeless.

Monarch History
November 23rd, 2009, 10:44 PM
I'm really looking forward to attending this game.

If W&M's defense plays the game they are capable of playing it will be a long day for Weber State.

W&M 24 - Weber State 14

Ivytalk
November 23rd, 2009, 10:57 PM
W&M will win by a FG in a nail-biter. May be the best game of the weekend!xnodx

uofmman1122
November 23rd, 2009, 11:06 PM
I want to say I like Weber's chances, but W&M's pass rush and run defense seem too good. If they shut the run down, Weber has the tools to beat them through the air, but if they start to get pressure on Higgins, much like in the Montana game, look for Higgins to have a bad day.

Really looking forward to this game, though. Go Weebs! xhurrayx

Tribe07
November 23rd, 2009, 11:15 PM
Come root for the Tribe Monarch- we need to fill the stands with people making noise.

tandemlax
November 23rd, 2009, 11:16 PM
From what I've seen this year (Home games + @ Richmond), W&M really relies on its front 7 to stuff the run. A good portion of our opponents have operated out of some variation on the spread with 3-4 WRs. Its really been up to the D Line to both shut down the running game and get to the quarterback, an assignment they've fulfilled beautifully. Caldwell, the strong safety, is a big hitter who does come on blitzes every now and then, but I wouldn't say that's an integral part of the WM defensive scheme.

Can anyone who has seen a good bit of both Delaware and Weber offer a comparison on their respective passing games?

gbhmt
November 23rd, 2009, 11:17 PM
I want to say I like Weber's chances, but W&M's pass rush and run defense seem too good. If they shut the run down, Weber has the tools to beat them through the air, but if they start to get pressure on Higgins, much like in the Montana game, look for Higgins to have a bad day.

Really looking forward to this game, though. Go Weebs! xhurrayx

Hit the nail on the head. Pressure or lack thereof on Higgins could be the key to the game.

GrizGrowler
November 23rd, 2009, 11:30 PM
Higgin's is mistake prone. But If that offense can get it going early, this one could be over by the third quarter. If not the tribe will roll.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
November 23rd, 2009, 11:35 PM
When Higgins is on, they are tough to stop. When Higgins doesn't play well, the team doesn't play well. This one will go as Higgins goes as far as Weber's chances I think.

GolfingGriz
November 23rd, 2009, 11:38 PM
Weber State's D rises to the occasion.
Weber State 17
Tribe 16

ForShizzleGrizzle
November 23rd, 2009, 11:48 PM
I personally don't feel that this game will be close. Weber by 21. Toone, Higgins and Smith will come through for these kitties. They have a chip on their shoulders right now and have renewed life. I would'nt want to play them.

TypicalTribe
November 23rd, 2009, 11:51 PM
Haven't seen anyone address this, but when will Weber travel for this game? Hard to imagine coming on Friday for a 1 o'clock Saturday game, but travelling on Thursday means basically missing Thanksgiving in transit and only getting 3 or so days to prepare. Could really throw a wrench into the week.

WrenFGun
November 23rd, 2009, 11:53 PM
I personally don't feel that this game will be close. Weber by 21. Toone, Higgins and Smith will come through for these kitties. They have a chip on their shoulders right now and have renewed life. I would'nt want to play them.

It's unfortunate that I don't feel I can give negative reputation for having an ill-informed opinion. This is a terrible post.

Silenoz
November 23rd, 2009, 11:54 PM

Hmm, but W&M is really good. I mean, they did have their way with a BCS team, which is always an accomplishment, I don't care how bad the program is. If Weber wins, it will almost certainly be by single digits

ForShizzleGrizzle
November 23rd, 2009, 11:55 PM
It's unfortunate that I don't feel I can give negative reputation for having an ill-informed opinion. This is a terrible post.

That fine. Just mark this post and when the truth is revealed please refer back to the ill-informed post for some crow.

GolfingGriz
November 23rd, 2009, 11:56 PM

Gotta agree here. Weber might win a squeeker, but W and M will get the blowout if there is one.

WrenFGun
November 23rd, 2009, 11:57 PM
That fine. Just mark this post and when the truth is revealed please refer back to the ill-informed post for some crow.

Gladly. You'll be back, I hope?

Silenoz
November 23rd, 2009, 11:57 PM
xeyebrowx

19Duke97
November 23rd, 2009, 11:58 PM

For them to do that they will have to score 21 - no easy assignment as W&M has only given up 20 or more twice. I'd say this is a very good game with home advantage to W&M. If I were W&M I'd to to get this scheduled at 12PM - that would be 9 AM Weber time. Seems like the BSC teams may have more prolific offenses, but I'd have to say defensive prowess lies with the CAA. And as the old adage goes, "Offense wins games, defense wins championships". :) W&M 21 WSU 17

ForShizzleGrizzle
November 24th, 2009, 12:01 AM
I usually stay pretty conservative with my picks but I don't know I just have a feeling that Weber will show up.

WrenFGun
November 24th, 2009, 12:04 AM
Nice. How many W&M games have you watched this season? I know Montana has a loud stadium and all so I didn't know if perhaps it was so loud it caused the cable signals to not work for the W&M games..

HLNgriz
November 24th, 2009, 12:29 AM
How good is WM at special teams? Weebs are good esp Toone.

tandemlax
November 24th, 2009, 12:35 AM
How good is WM at special teams? Weebs are good esp Toone.

Punter is outstanding, kicker has bounced back from a tough start to have a successful year. Near the FCS lead in FGs made, though not percentage-wise. Return and kick coverage units have been unremarkable- nothing outstanding but no major mistakes that I can think of either.

TribeinDC
November 24th, 2009, 12:36 AM
I usually stay pretty conservative with my picks but I don't know I just have a feeling that Weber will show up.

All these "show up" posts are cop outs.

I see this game going much like the W&M-UD game. A great passer gets no time in the pocket and no support from the run. Eventually this leads to turnovers and, while not a high scoring affair, a decisive victory for W&M where Weeeeber simply had no real shot of winning. 24-14 Tribe.

TribeinDC
November 24th, 2009, 12:40 AM

All these "show up" posts are cop outs. Can we please stop?

I see this game going much like the W&M-UD game. A great passer gets no time in the pocket and no support from the run. Eventually this leads to turnovers and, while not a high scoring affair, a decisive victory for W&M where Weeeeber simply had no real shot of winning. 24-14 Tribe.

Poker Alan
November 24th, 2009, 12:42 AM
All the Weber predictors saying they are going to blow out W&M, please pull your heads out and return to this thread. Weber is playing good right now, but W&M is one of the best teams in the country, with an unbelievable D, playing at home. This game will be close, if Weber is to win, certainly not more than a TD score. However, I feel W&M pulls this out, likely by 10 or so.

UncleSam
November 24th, 2009, 12:42 AM

Best get off that sauce, the ONLY opponent to score more than 20 points on W&M was the #2 seed Villanova (28) and yet you predict that Weber will win by 21???

More likey that the Easter Bunny will be the leading rusher for Weber St.

Prominentwon
November 24th, 2009, 12:43 AM
a decisive victory for W&M where Weeeeber simply had no real shot of winning. 24-14 Tribe.

Yeah, because I'm sure you know enough about Weber to say they have no shot. That sort of comment belongs on the Smack Board, no?

I'm pulling for Weber now. I haven't been on this board enough to understand what people were talking about with "east coast bias," but the last couple of weeks while reading through all these CAA threads, I can see now. The BS is pretty deep.

TribeinDC
November 24th, 2009, 12:47 AM
Yeah, because I'm sure you know enough about Weber to say they have no shot. That sort of comment belongs on the Smack Board, no?

I'm pulling for Weber now. I haven't been on this board enough to understand what people were talking about with "east coast bias," but the last couple of weeks while reading through all these CAA threads, I can see now. The BS is pretty deep.

Excuse me for making a prediction as to how the game will be. And wow, if you call that smack then you must be real soft...

UncleSam
November 24th, 2009, 12:51 AM

Apparently you missed this one:

Originally Posted by ForShizzleGrizzle

Bias travels in many directions... :p

Green26
November 24th, 2009, 01:07 AM
All these "show up" posts are cop outs. Can we please stop?

"Show up" comments are not cop outs. Don't know how you came up with that. Perhaps if you just read the posts, you might learn something.

Weber and its qb have been unusually inconsistent this season. Most of the time Weber has been very good, even very very good, but in some games Weber has been okay at best. While some of the qb's inconsistency can be blamed on pressure, some of it can't. For example, in Weber's game against Montana, Higgins came out throwing poorly--before receiving any significant pressure. As the game went on and he got some pressure, he threw worse and threw some picks.

In most games, Weber has exhibited an outstanding offense, including both running and passing. In most games, the Weber line has protected the qb well. The Weber coach said after the Montana game that UM was the only team to dominate Weber this season--and that includes Colo St and Wyoming. Weber pushed Colo St around, and should have won the game. Wyo eventually got good pressure on Higgins, and he threw a bunch of picks.

The excellent rb, Smith, has been slowed by injuries, including a bad ankle. He is apparently more healthy now.

I think it'll be a good game.

Grrrrriz
November 24th, 2009, 01:09 AM
Best get off that sauce, the ONLY opponent to score more than 20 points on W&M was the #2 seed Villanova (28) and yet you predict that Weber will win by 21???

More likey that the Easter Bunny will be the leading rusher for Weber St.

I don't think this will be a blowout either way. Weber State will probably have their rushing attack taken away, but I am not sure that W&M have played a QB-WR combo as good as Higgins-Toone. W&M should expect to get lit up a few times, as should Weber. I think this game will be decided by a touchdown or less. As well, if Weber is to win, the game changer will be their special teams. Toone is capable of making the opposing special teams look stupid, so don't be surprised to see him run one back and give them real good field position if you kick to him. My advice? Just don't punt or kick to him at any cost. Don't look at the UM game as indicative of Webers talent. I don't think they would have beat us, but it should have been closer.

GoneTribal
November 24th, 2009, 01:16 AM
I don't think this will be a blowout either way.

my thoughts exactly. I think this will be a nailbiter, no matter who wins. Weber is strong on O where the Tribe is weakest on D, not weak, but weakest...this should allow them to move the ball and score. The Tribe rushing attack, combined with a solid air attack will allow them to move the ball without too much trouble.

Just a matter of 1) who gets in the end zone as opposed to kicking FGs 2) TO's

GO TRIBE!!!!!

Tribe07
November 24th, 2009, 01:16 AM
Whitney to Sezur of 'Nova has to be as good, if not better, than Higgins to Toone.

I Bleed Purple
November 24th, 2009, 01:47 AM
Damn griz fans...:p

We're (hopefully) going to try to run. We learned our lesson in the Wyoming game. We have to run the ball, even if it means second and nines for a good portion of the day. Depending on how aggressive your defense is, we're going to run a lot of screens and swing passes.

GrizNzonecrazy
November 24th, 2009, 01:52 AM
Whitney to Sezur of 'Nova has to be as good, if not better, than Higgins to Toone.

First off its Szczur and a good CAA fan should know that if a dumb west coat Griz fan does.....and second.....no.....Whitney to Sczcur is not better

I Bleed Purple
November 24th, 2009, 01:52 AM

xeyebrowx

Matt Szczur 11 36 358 9.9 4 30 32.5
Tim Toone 11 77 1058 13.7 10 52 96.2

Chris Whitney 11 155.94 123-185-3 66.5 1413 16 57 128.5
Cameron Higgins 11 144.9 268-414-16 64.7 3154 30 80 286.7

Native
November 24th, 2009, 01:54 AM
my thoughts exactly. I think this will be a nailbiter, no matter who wins. Weber is strong on O where the Tribe is weakest on D, not weak, but weakest...this should allow them to move the ball and score. The Tribe rushing attack, combined with a solid air attack will allow them to move the ball without too much trouble.

GO TRIBE!!!!!

I think you have hit on one of the keys for Weber in this game - whether or not the bend-a-lot-but-don't-break Wildcat defense can force red zone field goals versus TDs..

Grrrrriz
November 24th, 2009, 02:02 AM

They aren't better than Higgins to Toone. Honestly, this isn't BSC bias..I guarantee, you haven't seen a QB/WR combo as good as these two. You are going to make a huge mistake assuming anything other than that.

Prominentwon
November 24th, 2009, 02:06 AM
Excuse me for making a prediction as to how the game will be. And wow, if you call that smack then you must be real soft...

There's a difference between making a prediction and making a ridiculous bias prediction.

"No chance".

Right.

GOODY26
November 24th, 2009, 02:08 AM
I don't know anything about Weber State, however I have seen W&M play. They have the quickness on defense to play with any team in the FCS. I like the Tribe in this matchup

W&M............31
Weber St. ...10

GrizNzonecrazy
November 24th, 2009, 02:09 AM
W&M............31
Weber St. ...10

Anything can happen on "any given saturday" however i'd almost bet my first born child that this game will not be decided by more than 7 points.....

soccerguy315
November 24th, 2009, 02:10 AM

So you think Weber is going to be pushing 40 points? no chance.

ForShizzleGrizzle
November 24th, 2009, 02:12 AM
I expect a lot of screen game for Weber with success. 21 points may have been a little on the high side but I really honestly think that if Higgins plays like I have seen and smith is healthy it will be a 2 TD game.

I Bleed Purple
November 24th, 2009, 02:14 AM

GO TRIBE!!!!!

These two and which Cameron Higgins plays should be the factors, unless our O-Line can't stack up.

Tailbone
November 24th, 2009, 02:19 AM
I don't know anything about Weber State, however I have seen W&M play. They have the quickness on defense to play with any team in the FCS. I like the Tribe in this matchup

W&M............31
Weber St. ...10

I don't know anything about the Pacific ocean, however I have seen the Atlantic.
The Atlantic has lots of water. It's big enough to compare with any ocean in the world.

The Atlantic has 3 times as much water.

........sheesh....xrolleyesx

Native
November 24th, 2009, 02:26 AM
Damn griz fans...:p

We're (hopefully) going to try to run. We learned our lesson in the Wyoming game. We have to run the ball, even if it means second and nines for a good portion of the day. Depending on how aggressive your defense is, we're going to run a lot of screens and swing passes.

Couldn't agree less. Weber will not be able to use the run to set up the passing game against the #1 defense in the nation and a defensive line and linebacker corps the equal of Wyoming's. Weber had zero success running until the third quarter (and then only on first down) when Wyoming tried to sit on a lead and backed off from the box into a prevent defense.

If anything, the Tribe's vulnerability in the secondary will allow the Wildcats' passing to set up the run, just as it did at Wyoming when the turnovers finally stopped.

Native
November 24th, 2009, 02:30 AM
So you think Weber is going to be pushing 40 points? no chance.

Higgins is a gambler. If his gambles fail and he turns over the ball more than twice, it will be tough for Weber to score more than 20. But if he hits his numbers and avoids the picks there is a better than even chance for Weber to score more on the Tribe than has been scored all season.

Tribe07
November 24th, 2009, 03:22 AM
You can quote stats at me all you want, but Szcur is going to the NFL and Toone will be lucky to play for NFL Canada.

GrizNzonecrazy
November 24th, 2009, 03:27 AM
You can quote stats at me all you want, but Szcur is going to the NFL and Toone will be lucky to play for NFL Canada.

C'Mon CAA fans....can we PLEASE spell the "best" player in the conf. name right!!! Its SZCZUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The people that apparently invented football and never showed anyone else how to play should really know these things.....and btw....You are WAY WAY wrong on the future of Mr Toone....will be a late round pick

Tailbone
November 24th, 2009, 03:29 AM

Cool!

What team do you scout for, and in what round will you be drafting him?

Gee, I never met a pro scout before. xrolleyesx

WrenFGun
November 24th, 2009, 03:29 AM
I expect a lot of screen game for Weber with success. 21 points may have been a little on the high side but I really honestly think that if Higgins plays like I have seen and smith is healthy it will be a 2 TD game.

...Keep backing that train up. Eventually you'll get it to where Weber is ONLY losing by 10. xrotatehx

Tribe07
November 24th, 2009, 03:30 AM
Look I think it's the constant insults from the west coast that are far more of a problem on this board than anything people from the east do (especially spelling). Instead of responding to arguments you engage in ad hominem attacks that clearly exhibit that your argument is correct.

Grrrrriz
November 24th, 2009, 03:31 AM

Hahaha! " You can use proof and facts all you want, but i'm just saying, and obviously less talented wide receiver is going to go to the NFL, and the faster, more talented, more prolific Wide Receiver is going to a league that doesn't exist" xbangxxbangxxlmaoxxlmaox

GrizNzonecrazy
November 24th, 2009, 03:34 AM
There is no winning with these morons....until the Big Sky goes out on saturday and takes care of business 3 times it wont stop....and even then we will just get to take part in the world biggest CAA circle j*rk pitty party and get to hear about how 9 times out of 10 they woulda won but they didnt show up today......xbawlingx

BigHouseClosedEnd
Tribe defense smothers Weber and Grimes goes for 150 yards.

34-13 Tribe.

Tribe07
You get the point Grizz. Can't wait to mow through some arrogant Big Sky teams this year. Too bad we face Southern Illinois in the second round. Guess it'll have to be Montana or EWU in the final. Oh wait UR or ASU will have taken care of you by then. See you next year.

Grrrrriz
November 24th, 2009, 03:35 AM
...Keep backing that train up. Eventually you'll get it to where Weber is ONLY losing by 10. xrotatehx

I think its mostly a matter of fans from either team not knowing a thing about the other one. I think W&M has the edge, but it won't be a blowout either way. Should be a real good game, and the fans on either side saying its going to be a walk in the park are going to be shaking their heads....I have seen both teams play in multiple games, and I think W & M is probably more well known, due to media market and coverage. BUT!!! If W & M underestimates Webers O, (especially Toone, Higgins, and Smith) they will be in for a long day.

GrizNzonecrazy
November 24th, 2009, 03:36 AM
You get the point Grizz. Can't wait to mow through some arrogant Big Sky teams this year. Too bad we face Southern Illinois in the second round. Guess it'll have to be Montana or EWU in the final. Oh wait UR or ASU will have taken care of you by then. See you next year.

They will more than likely take care of us much in the fashion that JMU did last year......werent they like supposedly the best team in all of college football last year prior to that game or something???? like a #1 seed on their home field i think???? idk i could be mistaken.....

WMTribe90
November 24th, 2009, 03:36 AM
I think people are selling Wm's pass defense a little short. Yes, it's not as good as our top 5 run defense, but it's solid. We have the 35th ranked pass defense. But, when you consider most teams abandoned the run and were playing from behind against us, it is inevitable that we are going to give up some yards. Our secondary has experienced players that tackle well and have produced sveral INT's.

I think UD is a good comparison. Great QB with good WR's. I expect WSU's OL will be slightly better. UD threw for ovr 300 yards, but they -2 yards rushing and abandoned the run in the second half. Despite throwing for a big number, WM held UD to 20 points. The last 7 came inthe final seconds when the game was already decided.

I expect a close game with a final score in the 20's.

WM 27
WSU 23

I also expect WM to control the TOP with the ground game, especially in the second half.

My biggest worry is special teams. I think WSU has an advantage there and could easily win the field position battle.

Tribe07
November 24th, 2009, 03:37 AM
It is worth saying that we are not underestimating Weber. On W&M's board we've been discussing all day that our front 4 have to get pressure on Higgins or he is going to have a field day with our secondary.

But the posters on here who think that WSU is the favorite are smoking something.

Grrrrriz
November 24th, 2009, 03:37 AM

You can talk when you guys have done anything in the playoffs...ever. ASU and Richmond both have earned that right. Go ahead and underestimate the team you are playing....You will be real sorry you did....Bank on it.

Grrrrriz
November 24th, 2009, 03:38 AM
It is worth saying that we are not underestimating Weber. On W&M's board we've been discussing all day that our front 4 have to get pressure on Higgins or he is going to have a field day with our secondary.

But the posters on here who think that WSU is the favorite are smoking something.

Nevermind that last post then, but if you think Villanova's passing attack is as good as Weber's Higgins and Toone, you will be in for a rude awakening.

Native
November 24th, 2009, 03:39 AM

I found four from Villanova, three from William & Mary, and seven from Weber (including Toone) on lists of NFL draft prospects, but Szczur was not on the lists.

Could you please provide a link?

GrizNzonecrazy
November 24th, 2009, 03:39 AM
I found four from Villanova, three from William & Mary, and seven from Weber (including Toone) on lists of NFL draft prospects, but Szczur was not on the lists.

Could you please provide a link?

Szczur is only a JR...wont be leaving early

Native
November 24th, 2009, 03:40 AM
Look I think it's the constant insults from the west coast that are far more of a problem on this board than anything people from the east do (especially spelling). Instead of responding to arguments you engage in ad hominem attacks that clearly exhibit that your argument is correct.

xrolleyesx xsmhxxflaggedx

89Hen
November 24th, 2009, 03:42 AM
until the Big Sky goes out on saturday and takes care of business 3 times it wont stop....and even then ....
How would you know what happens next? Pure conjecture. xlolx

GrizNzonecrazy
November 24th, 2009, 03:44 AM
How would you know what happens next? Pure conjecture. xlolx

simply goin on precident.....got a good dose xbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingx after the JMU game last year.....

Native
November 24th, 2009, 03:46 AM
I think the outcome of this game will ride heavily on which Cameron Higgins shows up. If it's the one that's been playing the last few weeks, I really like Weber's chances. If it's the one that showed up for their first two games and the Montana game, they're hopeless.

You're right, dammit!

Tribe07
November 24th, 2009, 03:46 AM
Yeah that must suck to finally beat one CAA team only to lose to another (badly) in the final Griz.

09griz
November 24th, 2009, 03:47 AM
This game excites me as we finally play someone OOC that isn't in the Great West.

W&M look to be a defensive beast from the stats I've looked at so far, but are more susceptible to the pass than the run. I'm curious to what offensive schemes the CAA does to run the ball. Out of the spread? Fullback used? Lots of counters and traps? What rushing attack has W&M not seen?

I've looked at a bunch of the stats and Weber's biggest advantage is in special teams. I bet when W&M punts it'll be away from Toone. Stats may be posted later.

So if you guys win will you finally replace that god awful piece of photography on your signature?

wideright82
November 24th, 2009, 03:48 AM
Szczur is only a JR...wont be leaving early

Not for football at least. I have a hunch baseball will be his professional career so the argument is probably a dumb one, really, since Szczur won't be playing NFL ball regardless.

As for a comparison? Impossible. Apples and oranges. One is a receiver the other is an athlete. Remember the BWest/AP arguments. Same thing. xscanxxnodx

89Hen
simply goin on precident.....got a good dose xbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingx after the JMU game last year.....
Last time I looked Montana was 1 team, not 3.

And it's not like we didn't hear the same xbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingx in the other direction the time before that when UM and JMU played.

Native
So if you guys win will you finally replace that god awful piece of photography on your signature?

..but it's such an objet d'art! xlolx

Grrrrriz
November 24th, 2009, 03:51 AM
Yeah that must suck to finally beat one CAA team only to lose to another (badly) in the final Griz.

Actually, making it to the NC is great no matter if we win or lose..*cough* 6 times *cough*..You are going to just have to believe me on that one. Maybe you will get to find out someday, instead of just living vicariously through your conference mate.

Native
November 24th, 2009, 03:51 AM

Hmmmm... I would think it pretty cool to get to the NC game.

3-1 in post season may not be as good as 4-0, but a hell of a lot better than... what was W&M's post season record last year?

How many W&M trips to Chatty?

How many NC's?

GrizNzonecrazy
November 24th, 2009, 03:52 AM
Last time I looked Montana was 1 team, not 3.

And it's not like we didn't hear the same xbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingx in the other direction the time before that when UM and JMU played.

no argument on the 04 game.....we were some whiny bastards.....though i think our slimest playoff margin of victory was like 21 points going into that game.....including a trip to the woodshed for UNH.....we were a 9 point favorite on the books at Vegas going in.....we truly ***** ourselves massively....and it didnt help that JMU played like pros....bad day for all involved....i was in the secord row behind the Griz bench....

Tribe07
November 24th, 2009, 03:52 AM
Wideright yeah I had heard that he prefers baseball and is quite the beast at that sport as well.

Grrrrriz
November 24th, 2009, 03:53 AM
Not for football at least. I have a hunch baseball will be his professional career so the argument is probably a dumb one, really, since Szczur won't be playing NFL ball regardless.

As for a comparison? Impossible. Apples and oranges. One is a receiver the other is an athlete. Remember the BWest/AP arguments. Same thing. xscanxxnodx

I had forgotten he was a baseball player. That is actually pretty cool. You don't often see two sport athletes much anymore. He's sort of like a FCS Bo Jackson.

09griz
November 24th, 2009, 03:54 AM
Hmmmm... I would think it pretty cool to get to the NC game.

3-1 in post season may not be as good as 4-0, but a hell of a lot better than... what was W&M's post season record last year?

How many NC's?

I think the answer to all of those questions, if my calculations are correct (give me a second...........give me a second). Oh! Says here the answer is 0!

Tribe07
November 24th, 2009, 03:55 AM
I find it amusing that fans from the Big Sky conference are telling me to stop hiding behind the success of my conference mates. Who besides Montana has EVER done anything in the playoffs from Big Sky?

W&M made the semifinals in 2004 and lost to the same team you did Griz. When has Weber State made it that far in the playoffs?

89Hen
November 24th, 2009, 03:57 AM
what was W&M's post season record last year?

How many NC's?
JMU didn't make the playoffs in 2003 and didn't have any NC's and Richmond didn't have any NC's prior to 2008... perhaps you want to rethink that one. xeyebrowx

09griz
November 24th, 2009, 03:57 AM
I find it amusing that fans from the Big Sky conference are telling me to stop hiding behind the success of my conference mates. Who besides Montana has EVER done anything in the playoffs from Big Sky?

W&M made the semifinals in 2004 and lost to the same team you did Griz. When has Weber State made it that far in the playoffs?

To be fair Weber had to go through us, sooooo................

89Hen
November 24th, 2009, 03:58 AM
To be fair Weber had to go through us, sooooo................
So does Moose Drool.

BearIt
This thread is an example why the playoffs are way better than the Bowel system. You get to match up teams in a game that means something, so emotions run hot.

A team other than Montana from the weak BSC finally gets to match up with the CAA. They get no respect from the CAA and the fans of the BSC have a chip on their shoulder. Makes an entertaining thread.

The other thing that makes it great is that I really don't like Weber, but I'm rooting for them this week. It kind of goes against nature a little bit.

Go Weber!!!

Tribe07
Haha you're right. W&M never has to go through the CAA to get to the NC either. Our last two playoff games were vs. the CAA.

GrizNzonecrazy
November 24th, 2009, 03:59 AM

Eastern made the semi's some years ago and MSU, and old big skyers Nevada, Idaho, and Boise St have all done well....even got a title or two in the process....

biggest problem for the other teams is that due to regionalization of the bracket unless the sky gets a third team in the second team WILL ALWAYS have to go through missoula to get anywhere....take last year for instance....Weber may well have been the third of 4th best team in the FCS but was forced to play in missoula in the quarters.....its a tough road for the BSC teams to get to the semi's

09griz
November 24th, 2009, 03:59 AM
So does Moose Drool.

You know of it? Thats another thing we do better out here than you guys.

Tribe07
November 24th, 2009, 04:00 AM
I mean yeah, when it comes down to it I'm so pumped up for the playoffs to start that I can't stop throwing mud on this Board all day long. Is it Saturday yet?

89Hen
November 24th, 2009, 04:00 AM
Eastern made the semi's some years ago..
I remember 1998... my sixth grade son was born. :p

GrizNzonecrazy
November 24th, 2009, 04:02 AM
I'm just saying that when a team like Montana has been to at least the semi finals on average of every other year since 95 it is pretty tough for another BSC team to get there when 90% of the time they must go through us to do it.....

Native
November 24th, 2009, 04:03 AM
So does Moose Drool.

I guess I'll take that as a compliment. xnutsx xbeerchugx

GrizNzonecrazy
November 24th, 2009, 04:04 AM
I guess I'll take that as a compliment. xnutsx xbeerchugx

ha ha i'm guessing he doesnt know that Moose Drool is the largest selling micro brew beer in the state and its made in Missoula.....funny stuff

Peems
November 24th, 2009, 04:04 AM
What has Weber really done to make us think that they can travel across the country and beat one of the best teams in the country? Granted I only saw Weber three times, but they never looked like world beaters. The two best defenses they faced were the Cats and the Griz(on the FCS level). That' didn't go too well. The Tribe has a better D than both those teams. Weber could win, but they've done nothing this year to make us think they can straight up whoop up on W&M

89Hen
November 24th, 2009, 04:05 AM
You know of it? Thats another thing we do better out here than you guys.
If you say so.

http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/lists/2009/11/the-25-best-american-breweries-of-the-decade-2000-.html?p=5

89Hen
November 24th, 2009, 04:06 AM
ha ha i'm guessing he doesnt know that Moose Drool is the largest selling micro brew beer in the state and its made in Missoula.....funny stuff
Uhhhh, yeah.... I do... kinda why I posted it. xreadx

Tribe07
November 24th, 2009, 04:07 AM
Dogfish Head is fantastic

Native
November 24th, 2009, 04:08 AM
JMU didn't make the playoffs in 2003 and didn't have any NC's and Richmond didn't have any NC's prior to 2008... perhaps you want to rethink that one. xeyebrowx

Sorry, Hen, you lost me. I was breaking on tribe07 for attacking someone else's playoff record, not breaking on the CAA. What exactly are you getting at?

GrizNzonecrazy
November 24th, 2009, 04:10 AM
My bad...didnt realize people from back that way knew anything about MT beer....surprised they even know where MT is actually.....but the drool is the nectar of the griz and its a shame that big sky brewing isnt on that list.....

Native
November 24th, 2009, 04:10 AM
What has Weber really done to make us think that they can travel across the country and beat one of the best teams in the country? Granted I only saw Weber three times, but they never looked like world beaters. The two best defenses they faced were the Cats and the Griz(on the FCS level). That' didn't go too well. The Tribe has a better D than both those teams. Weber could win, but they've done nothing this year to make us think they can straight up whoop up on W&M

Traveling has not been the problem with Weber the past couple of years. We played well in Hawaii and won some of our best victories on the road, at Montan State in '08, Cal Poly in the '08 playoffs, at EWU '09...

We are definitely 10 point underdogs, but we bring things the Tribe have never seen. I rate our chances at 1 in 3.

We have also faced the Colorado State and Wyoming defenses. Wyoming's D compares pretty well with William & Mary's, except that Wyoming's secondary was probably better.

89Hen
November 24th, 2009, 04:12 AM
Sorry, Hen, you lost me. I was breaking on tribe07 for attacking someone else's playoff record, not breaking on the CAA. What exactly are you getting at?
Just saying that this year could be W&M or UNH breaking through for the NC. I don't remember anyone thinking JMU or Richmond were going to win it going into the playoffs (other than their fans). xpeacex

89Hen
November 24th, 2009, 04:13 AM
My bad...didnt realize people from back that way knew anything about MT beer....surprised they even know where MT is actually.....but the drool is the nectar of the griz and its a shame that big sky brewing isnt on that list.....
It goes back 5 years or so to some posters who are gone from this board now. xpeacex

Tribe07
November 24th, 2009, 04:13 AM
WOW. A realistic opinion out of a Big Sky fan. Incredible. I'd say 1 in 3 is about right. If W&M can't put pressure on Higgins and he can get the ball in Toone's hands all day we're going to have to rely on our offense to keep us in it and if they play like they did against UR, we are in trouble. But that's a lot of ifs.

W&M 27
WSU 24

09griz
November 24th, 2009, 04:15 AM
If you say so.

http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/lists/2009/11/the-25-best-american-breweries-of-the-decade-2000-.html?p=5

Just more ECB.....xnottalkingx

Native
November 24th, 2009, 04:17 AM
WOW. A realistic opinion out of a Big Sky fan. Incredible. I'd say 1 in 3 is about right. If W&M can't put pressure on Higgins and he can get the ball in Toone's hands all day we're going to have to rely on our offense to keep us in it and if they play like they did against UR, we are in trouble. But that's a lot of ifs.

W&M 27
WSU 24

Toone is not the only NFL-calibre receiver on the Wildcat roster.

Tribe07
November 24th, 2009, 04:19 AM
Native are you coming to the game? You seem so interested in everything I have to say I was wondering if you were going to come by our tailgate?

09griz
November 24th, 2009, 04:19 AM

http://www.sloshspot.com/photos/blog/full/photo_1238263133.png

Screamin_Eagle174
November 24th, 2009, 04:20 AM
no argument on the 04 game.....we were some whiny bastards.....though i think our slimest playoff margin of victory was like 21 points going into that game.....including a trip to the woodshed for UNH.....we were a 9 point favorite on the books at Vegas going in.....we truly ***** ourselves massively....and it didnt help that JMU played like pros....bad day for all involved....i was in the secord row behind the Griz bench....

Not to mention the field had been recently re-sodded, and was so torn up... pieces of mesh tripping players up in the open field. xoopsx

GrizNzonecrazy
November 24th, 2009, 04:22 AM
Not to mention the field had been recently re-sodded, and was so torn up... pieces of mesh tripping players up in the open field. xoopsx

yeah and the TV didnt even do justice to how bad that field really was....really had to have been there....

Native
November 24th, 2009, 04:25 AM
Native are you coming to the game? You seem so interested in everything I have to say I was wondering if you were going to come by our tailgate?

I would love to make the trip but it is out of our $$ range. Been to Virginny and worked on the east coast in Boston, DC and Norfolk over the years, but have never made it to Williamsburg and would really like to do so.

mlbowl
Toone is not the only NFL-calibre receiver on the Wildcat roster.

You didn't hear..."Toone will be lucky to play in the CFL"

09griz
Really what this game comes down to is how effectively and consistently WM can pressure Cam Higgins. If you can do that for four quarters the kid is gonna throw some interceptions and, barring WSU defense having a hell of a game, WM is gonna come out with the win. Now if that doesn't happen WSU may come out and surprise everyone in Williamsburg because this team can play and when they do they play very well.

Native
November 24th, 2009, 04:26 AM
You didn't hear..."Toone will be lucky to play in the CFL"

xlolx I heard but did not pay any attention.

Mac's track record of sending players to the league speaks for itself.xsmiley_wix

Weber has seven players on the 2010 watch lists, and at least a couple already on the 2011 watch lists.

89Hen
November 24th, 2009, 04:31 AM

yeah and the TV didnt even do justice to how bad that field really was....really had to have been there....
Sux only the Griz had to play on that field. xwhistlex

GrizNzonecrazy
November 24th, 2009, 04:33 AM

no but it does suck that our equipment people only packed 1/2 inch cleats and rumor had it JMU had some 3/4 inchers.....which i'm pretty sure arent legal but.....

89Hen
November 24th, 2009, 04:39 AM
no but it does suck that our equipment people only packed 1/2 inch cleats and rumor had it JMU had some 3/4 inchers.....which i'm pretty sure arent legal but.....
Wow, and here I thought the excuses stopped 4 years ago. xviolinx :p

09griz
November 24th, 2009, 04:40 AM

Was that game even as bad as its been made out to be? We lost 31-21 because we couldn't get anything going in the fourth quarter but I certainly wouldn't blame it on the field.

wideright82
November 24th, 2009, 04:42 AM

another sign of a mediocre team? Bad equipment manager.xsmiley_wix

And no, 3/4 jaints are not illegal. They are what's commonly referred to as "Being Prepared" xlolx

09griz
November 24th, 2009, 04:44 AM

And no, 3/4 jaints are not illegal. They are what's commonly referred to as "Being Prepared" xlolx

So what tripped you guys up then, you know, last year?

mlbowl
November 24th, 2009, 04:47 AM

Dang you 82xmadx...xlolx:Dxlolx

tribe_pride
November 24th, 2009, 04:47 AM
Can you guys get the Montana/Delaware/JMU crap on a different thread.

This thread is for the Weber State @ W&M game.

2xspyder
November 24th, 2009, 04:48 AM
Those of us in Spiderland know that luck was on our side (and our kicker's) on Saturday. A more evenly matched game could not have been played. To say we have great respect for WM and it's season this year is quite an understatement.

Since we have a little knowledge of WM (we've only played them 119 times!), and none of Weber St., except that they play in the same conference as Montana, I will hazard a prediction that the WM defense will be formidable. Our running game this year was very respctable, including Ward's efforts. WM shut us down in the rushing game last Sat. Their pass defense was stingy as well.

Would be very, very surprised if WM did not win.xrolleyesx

Native
November 24th, 2009, 04:49 AM
Those of us in Spiderland know that luck was on our side (and our kicker's) on Saturday. A more evenly matched game could not have been played. To say we have great respect for WM and it's season this year is quite an understatement.

Since we have a little knowledge of WM (we've only played them 119 times!), and none of Weber St., except that they play in the same conference as Montana, I will hazard a prediction that the WM defense will be formidable. Our running game this year was very respctable, including Ward's efforts. WM shut us down in the rushing game last Sat. Their pass defense was stingy as well.

I will hazard the same guess! xlolx

09griz
November 24th, 2009, 04:50 AM

All I'm saying is that Weber State has some massive weapons on offense and can, at any time, blow absolutely anyone out of the water. Granted they didn't do that against UM or MSU, but look at their resume this year otherwise......not too shabby.

wideright82
November 24th, 2009, 04:50 AM
So what tripped you guys up then, you know, last year?

JMU didn't fumble 4 times against us xsmhx

wideright82
November 24th, 2009, 04:51 AM
Dang you 82xmadx...xlolx:Dxlolx

xlolxxlolxxlolx any time bowl!

Native
November 24th, 2009, 04:51 AM

That is one of the three keys to Weber's success at Williamsburg, too. xnodx

molly
November 24th, 2009, 04:52 AM
Can someone post links to highlight videos of Weber this year?

You can find fairly detailed video recaps of W&M's first nine games at http://www.tribeathletics.com/story.php/8843/

09griz
November 24th, 2009, 04:54 AM

there's another name for that. FORCED TURNOVERS.

Silenoz
November 24th, 2009, 04:56 AM
Can someone post links to highlight videos of Weber this year?

You can find fairly detailed video recaps of W&M's first nine games at http://www.tribeathletics.com/story.php/8843/

Well I can provide them for one game...

http://www.montanagrizzlies.com/pages/media_item.aspx?n=8393&m=18

Not very flattering...

wideright82
November 24th, 2009, 04:59 AM
there's another name for that. FORCED TURNOVERS.

ok. JMU didn't have 4 FORCED TURNOVERS against us xsmhx

09griz
November 24th, 2009, 05:04 AM
I'm not entirely certain if Weber does highlight films, or at least I've never been able to find them. The stats are certainly there though.

wideright82
November 24th, 2009, 05:07 AM
I'm not entirely certain if Weber does highlight films, or at least I've never been able to find them. The stats are certainly there though.

Don Bosco Prep in NJ has some pretty impressive stats against their competition too. Wanna make a claim that they are better than W&M too.

how bout that for some bass ackwards logic, 89?xlolxxlolx

Grrrrriz
November 24th, 2009, 05:08 AM
ok. JMU didn't have 4 FORCED TURNOVERS against us xsmhx

I think his point was that JMU didn't just drop the ball. The Griz caused all of them...So it might be better to say "We couldn't cause any turnovers, let alone score on their defense" I like your chances this year though....I also like W&M chances to make it to the Semi's, but they got a hell of a tough draw with Weber. Really, if you guys haven't seen Weber play, you are in for something pretty impressive. They are about 3 plays from being 10-1, and should be taken as seriously as if they were. Weber didn't let CSU or WYO beat them, they pretty much beat themselves. That MSU game came down to the very last play. The only game that really got away from them was against the Griz, and that was pretty uncharacteristic for them as well....A Villanova/Weber semi would be pretty cool...Eastern Wildcats Vs. Western Wildcats.

Tribe07
November 24th, 2009, 05:09 AM
Silenoz, you're telling me that Weber State's alleged high powered offense scored its only TD on you on a trick play?

A few other things I noticed, there were some AWFUL decisions by Higgins in that game. The O-line of Weber did not seem to play very well. If they do that against W&M's defense Higgins is going to learn what W&M's turf feels like often on Saturday.

Lastly, the front 4 of Weber looked incredibly vulnerable to speed combined with power running. Enter J. Grimes. Give him holes like that and he'll get 6-8 yards a carry all day.

09griz
November 24th, 2009, 05:10 AM
[QUOTE=wideright82;1475338]Don Bosco Prep in NJ has some pretty impressive stats against their competition too. Wanna make a claim that they are better than W&M too.

For you to look at. In lieu of a highlight reel.

Grrrrriz
November 24th, 2009, 05:10 AM
[QUOTE=wideright82;1475338]Don Bosco Prep in NJ has some pretty impressive stats against their competition too. Wanna make a claim that they are better than W&M too.

There isn't highlight film for them, because they don't have that big of a fan base, or media market. They have played real good competition. Don't forget, The CAA has patsies padding their schedule, in fact probably more than the Big Sky. But think whatever you want, and when Weber wins this weekend, I expect you to come back and eat crow...Because you will have to deal with them next.

Grrrrriz
November 24th, 2009, 05:14 AM
Silenoz, you're telling me that Weber State's alleged high powered offense scored its only TD on you on a trick play?

A few other things I noticed, there were some AWFUL decisions by Higgins in that game. The O-line of Weber did not seem to play very well. If they do that against W&M's defense Higgins is going to learn what W&M's turf feels like often on Saturday.

Lastly, the front 4 of Weber looked incredibly vulnerable to speed combined with power running. Enter J. Grimes. Give him holes like that and he'll get 6-8 yards a carry all day.

It was a pretty uncharacteristically bad game for them. Their D was pretty banged up, its actually turning into quite a rivalry, The Griz are a really good team, and I would venture to say if anyone has any doubts about how hard it is to play in WA-GRIZ, just watch this game. They are a lot better than that one game indicates. I will see if I can find some footage that is more indicative of their talent for you.

09griz
November 24th, 2009, 05:14 AM

Again, it comes down to how consistently Cam Higgins is pressured. If he is on a regular basis he's gonna throw a few picks and rely solely on Tim Toone to come up big. I noticed he did that a few times in the MT game and it didn't have much of an effect. Shutting Toone and Higgins down is gonna be the key to the WM victory. If they can't I see it being Weber's game to lose.

GolfingGriz
November 24th, 2009, 05:16 AM

Yes, Weber's only TD came on a flee flicker in the forth.

Higgins was rattled early and often. He doesn't do well when he is pressured/hit. Getting to him can be difficult though. Watch the screens too. When Smith gets into the open field look out. Watch last years playoff highlights against the Griz to get a real good example.

Weber's D can be had, but that was more UM's monster O-line imposing their will on Weber. The key to beating Weber is to keep their offense off the field. If you can control the line of scrimmage, then you will most likely win. If Weber can control it or atleast get into a stalemate, then I'll take Higgins and Co.

09griz
November 24th, 2009, 05:23 AM
I've noticed nobody really is mentioning Trevyn Smith too much. Whats his status? Is he 100% or what?

Tribe07
November 24th, 2009, 05:36 AM
Weber's D can be had, but that was more UM's monster O-line imposing their will on Weber. The key to beating Weber is to keep their offense off the field. If you can control the line of scrimmage, then you will most likely win. If Weber can control it or atleast get into a stalemate, then I'll take Higgins and Co.

W&M has just the team to keep Weber's offense off the field. We've got an insane D-line in the QB's face every down that should be able to pressure Higgins into making some of the same mistakes he made at UM. Adrian Tracy and Sean Lissemore have done things all year that earn them the wow factor. Plus, I read somewhere that 2 of Weber State's O-line have broken legs, is that right? If so, that could spell major trouble for WSU. Alabama's second string O-line couldn't contain our D-line consistently.

Plus, we've got an offense that runs the ball incredibly well and consistently against all defenses that aren't called the Stonewall D (UR). We've dominated time of possession this year in almost all of our games, even in our losses.

Native
November 24th, 2009, 05:56 AM
Again, it comes down to how consistently Cam Higgins is pressured. If he is on a regular basis he's gonna throw a few picks and rely solely on Tim Toone to come up big. I noticed he did that a few times in the MT game and it didn't have much of an effect. Shutting Toone and Higgins down is gonna be the key to the WM victory. If they can't I see it being Weber's game to lose.

It takes more than one lock down corner to shut down Weber State. Mike Phillips (6TDs) is faster than Toone and makes big plays too, along with Joe Collins (4 TDs) and Bo Bolen (3 TDs).

Tribe07
November 24th, 2009, 06:02 AM
I will see if I can find some footage that is more indicative of their talent for you.

Would be much appreciated Griz.

soccerguy315
November 24th, 2009, 06:34 AM
Higgins is a gambler. If his gambles fail and he turns over the ball more than twice, it will be tough for Weber to score more than 20. But if he hits his numbers and avoids the picks there is a better than even chance for Weber to score more on the Tribe than has been scored all season.

Weber put up 40+ on Idaho State, Sacramento State and Cal Poly... W&M might be just a little better on defense than those teams.

soccerguy315
November 24th, 2009, 06:47 AM
All I'm saying is that Weber State has some massive weapons on offense and can, at any time, blow absolutely anyone out of the water. Granted they didn't do that against UM or MSU, but look at their resume this year otherwise......not too shabby.

so, they can absolutely blow the bad teams they play out of the water, is what you are saying?

mlbowl
November 24th, 2009, 06:56 AM
so, they can absolutely blow the bad teams they play out of the water, is what you are saying?

...they average over 30 pts a game...they've scored under 21 ONE time this season. You just keep on thinking they wont be able to scorexwhistlex

Grrrrriz
November 24th, 2009, 07:14 AM

These are much more indicative of Weebs talent than you are giving them credit for.

Vs. FBS WYOMING:
WSU WYO
1st Downs 19 23
Total Yards 411 434
Passing 322 188
Rushing 89 246
Penalties 11-62 5-50
3rd Down Conversions 7-19 3-15
4th Down Conversions 0-0 1-2
Turnovers 5 1
Possession 29:57 30:03

VS. FBS COLO STATE
WSU CSU
1st Downs 25 12
Total Yards 316 306
Passing 258 243
Rushing 58 63
Penalties 3-11 7-81
3rd Down Conversions 11-21 0-8
4th Down Conversions 2-2 0-0
Turnovers 3 1
Possession 38:04 21:56

As you can see they are the real deal. These games probably would have gone the other way, if Cam Higgins had taken care of the ball better (something he has gotten much better at)

09griz
November 24th, 2009, 07:29 AM

I believe I said any team.

soccerguy315
November 24th, 2009, 07:37 AM
I believe I said any team.

yea, that's what you said, but the stats don't agree.

soccerguy315
November 24th, 2009, 07:40 AM
just to make sure this is clear, I think Weber State will be a very tough team for W&M to play.

but there are some grizzly bears on this thread making it seem like the Weber offense has Brett Favre and Adrian Peterson.

I am confident W&M is not going to blown out of the water, like these fans are threatening.

Bettina90
November 24th, 2009, 07:44 AM
Don't worry, SG, they'll change their tune and start talking about "too many mistakes" and "lack of execution" or "too many [holding] penalties" when your D-Line starts interrupting the exchange from the QB to the RB.

GoneTribal
November 24th, 2009, 07:49 AM
I'm confused. Are we playing Montana....or are we playing Weber St. Sure seems like Montana has more skin in this game than anyone else.

Maybe someone just put the mortgage on this game and really needs a victory. xlolx

mlbowl
November 24th, 2009, 07:50 AM
just to make sure this is clear, I think Weber State will be a very tough team for W&M to play.

but there are some grizzly bears on this thread making it seem like the Weber offense has Brett Favre and Adrian Peterson.

I am confident W&M is not going to blown out of the water, like these fans are threatening.

Really...I only saw one Griz fan predicting a Weber blowout...I think any rational FCS fan knows what kind of task is in store for Weber. It would be a MAJOR upset...Most Big Sky fans are just saying that they possess the offensive weapons to get it done
xpeacex

Bronco
November 24th, 2009, 07:53 AM
I'm confused. Are we playing Montana....or are we playing Weber St. Sure seems like Montana has more skin in this game than anyone else.

Maybe someone just put the mortgage on this game and really needs a victory. xlolx

Isn't there only two Weber posters on this site and one lives in the past.
Have you been to their board? I think they like basketball more than football.

I Bleed Purple
November 24th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Isn't there only two Weber posters on this site and one lives in the past.
Have you been to their board? I think they like basketball more than football.

Now the question is, which one is it? xeyebrowx

It is both entertaining and off putting that about 100 of the 180 posts in this thread so far are from Griz faithful.

And yes, Weber is a basketball school.

Native
November 24th, 2009, 08:01 AM

It's easy to understand: There are only about five Weber State fans, so sometimes our numerous Griz brethren lend a had. xnodx

Native
November 24th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Really...I only saw one Griz fan predicting a Weber blowout...I think any rational FCS fan knows what kind of task is in store for Weber. It would be a MAJOR upset...Most Big Sky fans are just saying that they possess the offensive weapons to get it done
xpeacex

Bingo! I am not predicting a blowout - only that Weber has some weapons W&M has not seen along with a chance to win.

Native
November 24th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Weber put up 40+ on Idaho State, Sacramento State and Cal Poly... W&M might be just a little better on defense than those teams.

Weber puts up 21+ on Wyoming, Colorado State, Eastern Washington, Montana State and Northern Arizona. Wyoming's defense is just as good and probably a little better than William & Mary's.

GoneTribal
November 24th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Native, is your offense as good as UVA's in your opinion? (not sure how much ACC football they show your way, probably not much I guess). I know UVA wasn't great this year, but would make an interesting comparison.

I only saw a few minutes of a Wyoming game this year, so I have no base of comparison on the D's.

I Bleed Purple
November 24th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Native, is your offense as good as UVA's in your opinion? (not sure how much ACC football they show your way, probably not much I guess). I know UVA wasn't great this year, but would make an interesting comparison.

I only saw a few minutes of a Wyoming game this year, so I have no base of comparison on the D's.

I only saw UVA against TCU, and well, the results weren't good.

GoneTribal
November 24th, 2009, 08:26 AM
I only saw UVA against TCU, and well, the results weren't good.

xlolx yeah, TCU did that to a lot of people this year.

I Bleed Purple
November 24th, 2009, 08:27 AM
xlolx yeah, TCU did that to a lot of people this year.

It was amazing to see how scared UVA looked going out on offense. Never really seen that before. Talk about a defense.

GoneTribal
November 24th, 2009, 08:36 AM
funny you used the word scared...cause that is exactly how I would describe it too. You could almost see the hesitation on the players faces like "Do we have to go out there AGAIN". It was like that in more than one game too. Although the Clemson game last week, I must admit, they played really well.

soccerguy315
November 24th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Weber puts up 21+ on Wyoming, Colorado State, Eastern Washington, Montana State and Northern Arizona. Wyoming's defense is just as good and probably a little better than William & Mary's.

yea, I was responding to Weber winning by 21... which IMO would put you guys into the 40 point range, because W&M is not going to be shutout.

Native
November 24th, 2009, 09:01 AM

Very tough to say, GT, because of the wide disparities between the ACC and the Big Sky. I did not get to see the UVA game but took a pretty good look at the game stats trying to find some clues. I have to say that Weber's offense is a different offense, and much better at our level. Over the past two years, Weber State, with Cameron Higgins at the helm, has been able to put up both yards and touchdowns against FBS defenses. WSU makes about 70% of its yardage in the air, versus 66% for UVA, but that is a deceptive number, because a great deal of that Wildcat yardage is yards after catch.

89Hen
November 24th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Don Bosco Prep in NJ has some pretty impressive stats against their competition too. Wanna make a claim that they are better than W&M too.
DBP would be the #2 team in the Big Sky... easily. Remember the year Caldron State finished #2? :p

TribeGuy09
November 24th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Griz fans don't you have your own thread to pollute?

I Bleed Purple
November 24th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Griz fans don't you have your own thread to pollute?

Wish I could say the same for Hen fans...

soccerguy315
November 24th, 2009, 10:02 AM
you guys have a nice stadium, btw...

figured I should throw that out since I've been there (not for a Weber State event, though).

Native
November 24th, 2009, 10:05 AM

The latest Massey rating ranks the Cavaliers as the 91st best DI offense, followed by Weber at #103 and W&M at #122.

On defense, W&M is ranked 21st, followed by UVA at #31 and Weber at a distant #91.

tandemlax
November 24th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Seeing that beautiful, operational, video board in IBP's sig reminds me of when we used to have one of those. Anyone know what's up with the Zable board and if it will be fixed by Saturday?

I Bleed Purple
November 24th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Seeing that beautiful, operational, video board in IBP's sig reminds me of when we used to have one of those. Anyone know what's up with the Zable board and if it will be fixed by Saturday?

Funny thing is our kicker took out a small portion of the board last week on an extra point.

paytonlives
November 24th, 2009, 10:45 AM
This is what makes the playoffs great...

The Big Sky is a high scoring pass happy conference.

The CAA is more of a head banging, shove it down your throat kind of league.

This game, as most football games will be won and lost by penalties, turnovers and big plays... should be fun to watch!

AppyinVA
November 24th, 2009, 10:52 AM
This one will not be close. Weber State will face W&M's defense, which stops the run and blitzes often. Higgins will have a terrible day and W&M will roll over them. W&M will win by at least 24 points.

soccerguy315
November 24th, 2009, 11:34 AM

they didn't get it fixed for the last game b/c of the big rain... but I heard that it was all operational except for the "team name" slots, but since that didn't work, they decided to leave the whole thing dark.

I would expect it to be functional for the playoffs... hopefully.

AppyinVA
November 24th, 2009, 11:38 AM
http://www.dailypress.com/news/wtkr-willaim-and-mary-queen,0,6280186.story

Be careful who you talk to, while in Williamsburg. Apparently William and Mary is known as William and William or is it Mary and Mary. Will they defend their queen's (or is it a king) honor?

Tribe4SF
November 24th, 2009, 07:28 PM

Be careful who you talk to, while in Williamsburg. Apparently William and Mary is known as William and William or is it Mary and Mary. Will they defend their queen's (or is it a king) honor?

Ze is not the only beauty queen at W&M.

http://www.wm.edu/news/stories/2009/student-wins-miss-virginia-usa-pageant-123.php

GoneTribal
November 24th, 2009, 09:54 PM

http://www.wm.edu/news/stories/2009/student-wins-miss-virginia-usa-pageant-123.php

for some reason SF, she isn't making as big of headlines xlolx
but she sure should be xnodx

TribeinDC
November 24th, 2009, 10:10 PM

Game, Set, Match

Native
November 25th, 2009, 12:26 AM

I admire the programs in the CAA. LOTS of good football! xthumbsupx

I love the Big Sky as well! BSC post season and national championship participation compares favorably to the CAA. Since 1978, four CAA teams (UMass, Delaware, JMU and Richmond) have participated in eight national championship games, winning four of them. In that same time, five BSC teams (Boise State, Idaho State, Nevada, Montana State and Montana) have participated in twelve national championship games, winning five of them.

This is Weber's fourth trip to the playoffs. The Wildcats are 2-3 for an all time 40% playoff record and have never progressed past the quarterfinals. The last showing was 2008, the year WSU knocked off #3 Cal Poly in the first round before falling to UM in Missoula.

William and Mary have been selected twice as many times as WSU for post season play, with an all-time record of 4-7 and a 36% winning percentage. Only once have the Tribe progressed past the quarterfinals. In 2004, they lost in the semis to eventual national champs JMU.

molly
November 25th, 2009, 12:48 AM

Why would you not want to talk to Ze or anyone else in Williamsburg because of this? Nice to know you're bigoted and intolerant.

I really don't understand the obsession with this. Who knew so many people cared about the homecoming court -- let alone the homecoming court of a school they didn't even attend?

molly
November 25th, 2009, 12:58 AM
Here are some highlight videos of Weber St. -- http://www.weberhoops.com/footballclips.htm

I Bleed Purple
November 25th, 2009, 05:27 AM
During the game, they said Mutcher had a broken leg.

In the paper today, it mentioned it as an ankle issue.

Either way, he's still out for the game. That's our first team center. If I was a Bobcat fan, I'd be starting the excuses already.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 25th, 2009, 05:28 AM
During the game, they said Mutcher had a broken leg.

In the paper today, it mentioned it as an ankle issue.

Either way, he's still out for the game. That's our first team center. If I was a Bobcat fan, I'd be starting the excuses already.

xlolx

Grizaholic17
November 25th, 2009, 05:52 AM
Boy oh boy, this game is going to be a thriller. I feel bad that Weber has to travel so far. I just hope they pull this off.

I Bleed Purple
November 25th, 2009, 05:54 AM
Boy oh boy, this game is going to be a thriller. I feel bad that Weber has to travel so far. I just hope they pull this off.

I don't think travel will be an issue. We actually were fortunate to schedule our last two home games at noon. We usually do 1 or 1:30. The 11 AM start really shouldn't affect us too much.

Grizaholic17
November 25th, 2009, 05:55 AM
I don't think travel will be an issue. We actually were fortunate to schedule our last two home games at noon. We usually do 1 or 1:30. The 11 AM start really shouldn't affect us too much.

I hope you're right. This has probably been asked but I haven't been on in a while...are there any sites streaming the game? Or free audio?

soccerguy315
November 25th, 2009, 06:12 AM
tribeathletics.com will have free streaming audio... doubtful there will be video anywhere, unfortunately.

I Bleed Purple
November 25th, 2009, 06:13 AM
tribeathletics.com will have free streaming audio... doubtful there will be video anywhere, unfortunately.

BAH!

I would really like to see this game.

CAAisBOSS
November 25th, 2009, 06:14 AM

Wyoming's Massey Rating for defense is a cool 44 places behind WM's xsmiley_wix

Grizaholic17
November 25th, 2009, 06:17 AM

Hopefully the Griz announcer will be updating the scores throughout our game

AppyinVA
November 25th, 2009, 06:46 AM
Why would you not want to talk to Ze or anyone else in Williamsburg because of this? Nice to know you're bigoted and intolerant.

I really don't understand the obsession with this. Who knew so many people cared about the homecoming court -- let alone the homecoming court of a school they didn't even attend?

duplicate post

AppyinVA
November 25th, 2009, 06:51 AM

That works for me.

soccerguy315
November 25th, 2009, 07:01 AM
Molly, are you a ze or a zir? Was there a homecoming court? I thought you only had a homecoming queen or did ze morph? I am proud that App State had a normal homecoming queen. W&M will lose in the first round, based on sheer embarrassment. BTW, how many national championships has William and Mary won? Nuff said. P.S. Transgender Drag Queens should not participate in a football website, if they don't want to be offended.

while I think this is ridiculous, I guess I will explain to you that "ze" is a replacement for "he" or "she" and "zir"is a replacement for "him" or "her"... so asking this person if they are a "ze or zir" does not make grammatical sense. (Not that ze and zir make grammatical sense anyway)

There was a homecoming court... no one cares about it.

What does national championships have to do with the W&M v. Weber State game? Why talking smack to W&M fans? You will only see us if we are both fortunate enough to make it to Nooga.

Native
November 25th, 2009, 07:12 AM
while I think this is ridiculous, I guess I will explain to you that "ze" is a replacement for "he" or "she" and "zir"is a replacement for "him" or "her"... so asking this person if they are a "ze or zir" does not make grammatical sense. (Not that ze and zir make grammatical sense anyway)

There was a homecoming court... no one cares about it.

What does national championships have to do with the W&M v. Weber State game? Why talking smack to W&M fans? You will only see us if we are both fortunate enough to make it to Nooga.

For one thing, you and AppyinVa deserve the opprobrium for derailing a football thread. xthumbsdownx

BearIt
November 25th, 2009, 07:44 AM

Won't be an issue as long as you charter a flight this time and don't go on the cheap with a long bus ride. xsmiley_wix

Grrrrriz
November 25th, 2009, 07:44 AM

I think the App Mountain range is probably the most bigoted part of the country. Just let the old man be ignorant, and be sure to stay off his lawn.

soccerguy315
November 25th, 2009, 09:39 AM
For one thing, you deserve the opprobrium for derailing a football thread. xthumbsdownx

opprobrium... nice. If this appears on a standardized test, I will be ready for it.

tribe_pride
November 25th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Can you guys move this annoying crap to a different thread.

This thread is for the Weber State @ W&M game.

Bump

DaGriz
November 25th, 2009, 10:13 AM

This is from Egriz. Looks like you can watch it here.

http://all-access.cbssports.com/player.html?code=ncaa&media=155705

soccerguy315
November 25th, 2009, 10:17 AM
I have a football question for the Weber guys...

do you think going to school / having home games at elevation provides you an advantage when you travel to sea level?

I Bleed Purple
November 25th, 2009, 10:27 AM

do you think going to school / having home games at elevation provides you an advantage when you travel to sea level?

Little if any.

Tribe4SF
November 25th, 2009, 10:35 AM
For one thing, you deserve the opprobrium for derailing a football thread. xthumbsdownx

You have AppyinVA to thank for that.

Native
November 25th, 2009, 11:07 AM

I agree with IBP. The advantages are few. I can't tell if we have any advantage when we play near sea level at Sacramento or Portland every year. On the other hand, there is probably a disadvantage to traveling to altitude for teams from sea level.

I Bleed Purple
November 25th, 2009, 11:24 AM
This is from Egriz. Looks like you can watch it here.

http://all-access.cbssports.com/player.html?code=ncaa&media=155705

Quoted for reference.

I hope I'll be able to see something.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 25th, 2009, 12:56 PM
I agree with IBP. The advantages are few. I can't tell if we have any advantage when we play near sea level at Sacramento or Portland every year. On the other hand, there is probably a disadvantage to traveling to altitude for teams from sea level.

Ala EWU's defense at NAU last week.

GoneTribal
November 25th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Quoted for reference.

I hope I'll be able to see something.

this is how I watched the W&M/UR game last week. It certainly isn't the best way in terms of quality, but at least you'll get to see the game. I think it's 9.95 or 14.95 to sign up (you sign up for a monthly billing), so be sure to cancel it after the game.

I Bleed Purple
November 26th, 2009, 01:03 AM
this is how I watched the W&M/UR game last week. It certainly isn't the best way in terms of quality, but at least you'll get to see the game. I think it's 9.95 or 14.95 to sign up (you sign up for a monthly billing), so be sure to cancel it after the game.

Said "watch it free." We'll see on Saturday.

TribeGuy09
November 26th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Here's hoping

WMTribe90
November 26th, 2009, 08:13 AM
There are free events, and this one is listed as free right now. Paid 9.95 to watch UR v WM last week (though it came up on channelsurfing at the very last minute too).

Native
November 26th, 2009, 02:01 PM
My ignorant comparisons:

Weber on offense:
QB vs. Pass Rush - Even.
WRs vs. W&M DBs - Advantage Weber St.
OL vs. DL - Advantage W&M

W&M on offense:
QB vs. Weber St. Pass Rush - Even
WRs vs. Weber St. DBs - Advantage W&M
OL vs. DL - Even

Overall, I see a pretty even game. The key to the game is W&M being able to create INTs. The Tribe has a great DE and Buck Buchannan candidate that will be in the backfield all day. However, Higgins release could negate his speed to the QB. The more pressure on Higgins, the greater the likelihood for W&M to create turnovers. If so, it will be a long day for Weber St.

On the other hand, if Weber can find a way to run the ball effectively, which basically no one has done all year against W&M, then the pressure will be on W&Ms offense to hold serve so to speak. W&M will try to wear down the line with a good rushing attack, but they can throw it as well.

I expect a close game with the home team coming away the victor by about a TD. I would so love to see this game more than any other first round game. Good luck to both teams!! My head roots for the CAA, but my heart bleeds purple. xsmiley_wix

Nice post and excellent analysis! xthumbsupx

Only one bone of contention: The W&M WRs do not have an advantage over Weber's DBs, including NFL-bound Josh Morris, one of the best in the land, who shut down Ramses Barden last year in the playoffs.

Native
November 26th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Wyoming's Massey Rating for defense is a cool 44 places behind WM's xsmiley_wix

Point taken, and I don't take Massey lightly, but Weber has been able to gain yards and score against anyone this year. No one has shut them out. Even at Montana, the only contest Weber was not "in" for the entire game, the Wildcats lost two turnovers inside the UM red zone.

If Delaware (Massey #18 offense), Rhode Island (#46) and Norfolk State (#64) can score offensive touchdowns against the Tribe, so can Weber (#13).

Green26
November 26th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Nice post and excellent analysis! xthumbsupx

Only one bone of contention: The W&M WRs do not have an advantage over Weber's DBs, including NFL-bound Josh Morris, one of the best in the land, who shut down Ramses Barden last year in the playoffs.

I agree that the Weber secondary, especially the one corner (no. 24, I believe), is good. The corner is fairly physical and good at holding (and with getting away with it).

While W&M's run defense must be super, I am looking forward to seeing what Smith (and the other rb) and the offensive line can do. Weber didn't run well against Montana this year (perhaps in part because Smith had a bad ankle or something), but I still think Weber's running game could get some yards. Smith is very effective at catching the ball out of the backfield too.

If W&M's d-line really is good enough to get in Higgins' face fairly quickly, then his efficiency will decline and he will make mistakes. However, if Higgins has even a modest amount of time (and doesn't have one of his occasional off days), he has the potential to start picking W&M apart, which would probably also open up the run game a bit.

I think it will be a very good game.

TheTribeHasSpoken
November 26th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Griz fans are funny.

UncleSam
November 26th, 2009, 03:10 PM
W&M will win this one by at least 2 TDs.

mlbowl
November 26th, 2009, 03:22 PM
CAA fans are funny. The Griz have spoken.

CAAisBOSS
November 26th, 2009, 03:48 PM
If Delaware (Massey #18 offense), Rhode Island (#46) and Norfolk State (#64) can score offensive touchdowns against the Tribe, so can Weber (#13).

Delaware scored the last play of the game when the game was already decided. Rhode island scored the last play of the game- also when the game was already decided. and Norfolk state scored their 2 tds very late on the 2's in the 4th quarter- once again when the game was already decided.

Still not saying the Tribe will shut them out.

GoneTribal
November 26th, 2009, 09:43 PM
I don't think anyone in this thread ever mentioned a shut-out, until a Griz fan somehow found the talk of W&M's stout D to mean Weeeee Burrrr wouldn't be able to score.

The Griz have spoken? Is that supposed to mean something? I'm pretty sure nobody is listening.

TheTribeHasSpoken
November 26th, 2009, 09:46 PM
CAA fans are funny. The Griz have spoken.It just seems more and more to me that the mindset from the Griz fans is that if they say that Weber's going to light us up enough, it will actually happen.

Weber hasn't played a defense as good as W&M all year, and I think it's a pipe dream for Weebs to think they are going to run on us. UD threw for 300 yards in the air(albeit a lot were when the game was decided), and still were in the negatives for rushing yards on the game. The passing game will not open up the run, our front 7 are just that good.

W&M wins this one 27-14.