PDA

View Full Version : NU Football Rumor

Bull Fan
November 22nd, 2009, 07:53 PM
Just saw that on FootballScoop.... unreal. Anywhere else this can be substantiated?

seattlespider
November 22nd, 2009, 07:59 PM
Can someone clarify what is going on? I saw a rumor the football staff was fired. Is it more serious?

BigSouthFB
November 22nd, 2009, 08:02 PM
Thats no good....xsmhx I'm really sorry to hear that. What is the rule for the NCAA about guys transferring out of a program that dropped football? they don't have to sit out a year right?

Dukie95
November 22nd, 2009, 08:03 PM
Confused....is the start of this conversation missing?

Tribe4SF
November 22nd, 2009, 08:04 PM
Parsons Field...be it ever so humble...I loved it anyway.

Tribe4SF
November 22nd, 2009, 08:06 PM

There's alot missing here this evening. Posts are getting jumbled out of sequence. I think Husky Alum's was first here.

seattlespider
November 22nd, 2009, 08:06 PM

No kidding, I'm not sure if anyone else is having issues. But the message board went boom for me.

UNHWildCats
November 22nd, 2009, 08:10 PM
Hope its not true but if it is that solves the ODU problem. UNH might get a few transfers too.
it will screw up scheduling for now if its immediate. People already complain about not playing everyone else, now we could end up playing 1 less conf game then the south for now.

SuperJon
November 22nd, 2009, 08:12 PM
This is scary for the Big South. This means that the divisions will be uneven when ODU and GaState join in a couple of years. Does the CAA go after Stony Brook as a football only member? They've got better facilities than Northeastern, are public, and could make a claim for being better. They also have the natural rivalry with Hofstra.

Dukie95
November 22nd, 2009, 08:19 PM
I can't say much more, but I'm 99.999% sure it's true.

Unfortunately it was the right decision.

I'm going on radio silence on this one (and those of you who know me, will know why and will understand).

You seem like a reliable source, and are even posting to us from tomorrow.

UNHWildCats
November 22nd, 2009, 08:20 PM
according to danefan a press release will be issued tonight or tomorrow morning confirming it.

mcveyrl
November 22nd, 2009, 08:38 PM
it will screw up scheduling for now if its immediate. People already complain about not playing everyone else, now we could end up playing 1 less conf game then the south for now.

Well, three teams in the south will only have seven conf. games too. Wonder how they fix that?

UNHWildCats
November 22nd, 2009, 09:05 PM
Well, three teams in the south will only have seven conf. games too. Wonder how they fix that?
The simple soloution (partially anyway) would be for UMass, Maine, Hofstra to play a 4th south game next season against (JMU, Delaware and Richmond) the teams Northeaster were to play and that those three north teams werent to play. For URI and UNH the only real simple soloution to keep a balanced CAA schedule might be to play twice... though im not sure if thats realistic.

Tribe07
November 22nd, 2009, 09:14 PM
Why is this the "right decision" Husky? NU has been bad recently but only a few years ago they were a middle of the pack CAA team. Is it attendance?

UNHWildCats
November 22nd, 2009, 09:27 PM
A quick move would be difficult through. We already have U Mass and Hofstra on the OOC schedule so would need to fill that gap (but maybe Georgia State could do that?). Would also immediately set us back in terms of any hope for a conference autobid. Will be following this intently.
the schedule would actually wash because u lose 6 Big South games and add another 6 against CAA teams along with the UMass and Hofstra games already scheduled...

UNHWildCats
November 22nd, 2009, 09:47 PM
Not only that...but Stony Brook's new president has told Nancy Zimphyr and others in the "know" that there will be a mandate to reduce a hemmoraghing athletic budget at Stony Brook. Senator Levaille should be sainted by SBU; he got them money...and got them a stadium...something that is impossible to get from NY right now.

However, there will be a reduction of the 22million athletic budget at SBU...(btw, it is more than Buffalo spent....)
if their bringing in someone I am rooting for Albany to get the call.

UNHWildCats
November 22nd, 2009, 09:50 PM
soleynm (https://twitter.com/soleynm)
Report: Sunday shortly before 8 PM, #Northeastern (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Northeastern) Athletics Dir. Peter Roby told #football (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23football) team the Board approved his reccomendation to cut

UNHWildCats
November 22nd, 2009, 09:51 PM
parents of Northeastern Football players received an email about 7pm telling them the University will no longer field a football team, but scholarships would be honored and aid will be given to help underclassmen re-enter the recruiting arena.

Regardless of which side of the issue your are on, it feels like a kick to the stomach. God Bless the young men and the coaches that cared about the program.

http://www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat:SportsForum:9530Discussion:f9 2b2496-c3a8-411f-9805-fffb6a0bc374&plckShowFirstUnread=1

Husky Alum
November 23rd, 2009, 07:24 AM
Zipping around campus - it's gone.

Go...gate
November 23rd, 2009, 07:56 AM
xnonono2xxsmhxxnonono2xxsmhx

Say it aint' so.

GeeWiz
November 23rd, 2009, 08:01 AM
Yep. xviolinx

Wildcat80
November 23rd, 2009, 08:02 AM
Hope its not true but if it is that solves the ODU problem. UNH might get a few transfers too.

Ivytalk
November 23rd, 2009, 08:04 AM
Bummer. First BU, now this.xnonono2xxnonono2x

Husky Alum
November 23rd, 2009, 08:25 AM
I can't say much more, but I'm 99.999% sure it's true.

Unfortunately it was the right decision.

I'm going on radio silence on this one (and those of you who know me, will know why and will understand).

UMass922
November 23rd, 2009, 09:10 AM

When BU dropped football after the '97 season, UMass and UConn scheduled an additional game with each other in '98 to make up for the lost game. Of course, only the originally-scheduled game counted in the A10 standings, but it was still pretty cool to play the Huskies twice in the same year, once in Amherst and once in Storrs. (UConn won both games.)

Anyway, I'm sad to hear this news about Northeastern. Maybe, though, this will create an opening for a team like Albany. I wouldn't mind seeing the Great Danes in the CAA North . . .

FanOfAllThatIsJMU
November 23rd, 2009, 09:12 AM
heard from a higher up in the league office that this true. NU football is done.

had also heard this from a few close to the program up there, and another source but was waiting to hear something from the previously mentioned source before i posted anything. hate spreading rumors, but this is not a rumor......

Go...gate
November 23rd, 2009, 09:18 AM
Will Fordham consider filling the CAA void?

gophoenix
November 23rd, 2009, 09:20 AM
Will Fordham consider filling the CAA void?

Or does ODU get early entry and they move someone like Villanova to the north?

RookieWill
November 23rd, 2009, 09:23 AM
Or does ODU get early entry and they move someone like Villanova to the north?

VU would leave the CAA before having to play a North schedule

Go...gate
November 23rd, 2009, 09:24 AM
This is sad news, just as it was for Iona, St. Peter's, LaSalle, BU, Canisus and others.

Redwyn
November 23rd, 2009, 09:25 AM
Perhaps Stony Brook is prepped to step in? It'd be a well established full scholly program by then. Beyond that, it might be interesting uniting it with America East rivals in New Hampshire and Maine as well as a geographic rival Hofstra.

Regardless it is a very sad day in Northeastern. My condolences on the demise and the end to a great tradition that was Northeastern football.

LawDutch
They can move Towson to the north and ODU can fill the south spot.

gophoenix
VU would leave the CAA before having to play a North schedule

And go where? Independent? That's a death sentence. Ask any program that's been there.

SuperJon
November 23rd, 2009, 09:26 AM
Perhaps Stony Brook is prepped to step in? It'd be a well established full scholly program by then. Beyond that, it might be interesting uniting it with America East rivals in New Hampshire and Maine as well as a geographic rival Hofstra.

Regardless it is a very sad day in Northeastern. My condolences on the demise and the end to a great tradition that was Northeastern football.

I said that back on the first page. It makes too much sense. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Stony Brook got that call. With the facilities and the program being built up there, it'd be ahead of where Northeastern was.

gophoenix
November 23rd, 2009, 09:29 AM
This is sad news, just as it was for Iona, St. Peter's, LaSalle, BU, Canisus and others.

It is staggering the number of schools that have called it quits in 10 years.

Iona, St Peter's, St John's, LaSalle, BU, Canisius, ETSU, Saint Mary's, Siena, Northridge, Fullerton, Fairfield.... now Northeastern.

gophoenix
November 23rd, 2009, 09:29 AM
I said that back on the first page. It makes too much sense. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Stony Brook got that call. With the facilities and the program being built up there, it'd be ahead of where Northeastern was.

But the have a half million dollar buyout for Big South membership, and then have to pay for CAA membership. It's make more sense to add ODU now.

RookieWill
November 23rd, 2009, 09:31 AM
And go where? Independent? That's a death sentence. Ask any program that's been there.

The relationship between VU and the rest of the CAA is tenuous enough. With Delaware as the natural rival in the South, plus a similar school in Richmond (small private school, excellent education) make Nova fit with the South. Nova has ZERO in common with New England state schools and their fans have ALWAYS hated those trips (vs. short drives to UD and Towson, plus nice weekends in Richmond and Williamsburg).

NOT going to happen

Redwyn
November 23rd, 2009, 09:31 AM

A quick move would be difficult through. We already have U Mass and Hofstra on the OOC schedule so would need to fill that gap (but maybe Georgia State could do that?). Would also immediately set us back in terms of any hope for a conference autobid. Will be following this intently.

Redwyn
November 23rd, 2009, 09:34 AM
But the have a half million dollar buyout for Big South membership, and then have to pay for CAA membership. It's make more sense to add ODU now.

A part of me would be very surprised if SBU balked out of money concerns. The school's endowment grosses more than Clemson's and is closing fast on several of the larger FBS schools. Our athletics money is also expanding fast. We may not have talent and facilities yet, but we definitely have money at the moment.

That being said - I'd be very surprised if SBU moved next year. I think our AD and coach are thinking playoffs and CAA would make this impossible. I'm also convinced our next move will be an all sports move, something the CAA would be unlikely to grant.

andy7171
November 23rd, 2009, 09:36 AM
Sad sad news. NU was a constant on my schedule in my playing days. I hated you guys. Just as I did BU. I'll miss you guys. xthumbsdownx

Christ I hope!

SuperJon
November 23rd, 2009, 09:38 AM

Their contract is up after the 2011 season. The 2012 season is when GaState joins the CAA. Stony Brook wouldn't have to pay a buyout to the Big South if they left after the 2011 season.

Dukie95
November 23rd, 2009, 09:45 AM

Makes the most sense to me, too. It also allows them to set up JMU and ODU for rivalry week on that final game of the season.

Perhaps Towson moves to the north next year and the other south teams add ODU as an OOC next year. Yeah, I know ODU's schedule is set, but bros before hos, right? xsmiley_wix xthumbsupx

Dblue
November 23rd, 2009, 09:46 AM
How about WCU, those Golden Rams from West Chester joining the CAA.

Tongue firmly planted in cheek:D

Dane96
November 23rd, 2009, 09:48 AM
I am staying out of this one until I officially see it in writing. But, knowing him well, I would take Husky Alum at his 99.999%.

Never saw this coming this year....

OutlawPete90
November 23rd, 2009, 09:50 AM
Northeastern players have tweeted that the program was cut. So sorry to hear this Northeastern fans. It must be toughxsmhx

hebmskebm
November 23rd, 2009, 09:50 AM
It is staggering the number of schools that have called it quits in 10 years.

Iona, St Peter's, St John's, LaSalle, BU, Canisius, ETSU, Saint Mary's, Siena, Northridge, Fullerton, Fairfield.... now Northeastern.

Seriously, somone ought to make a YouTube montage video to all of the fallen teams set to the music of Bone Thugs N Harmony's "Crossroads". xsmhx

/early 90's rap joke

Dane96
November 23rd, 2009, 09:53 AM
When BU dropped football after the '97 season, UMass and UConn scheduled an additional game with each other in '98 to make up for the lost game. Of course, only the originally-scheduled game counted in the A10 standings, but it was still pretty cool to play the Huskies twice in the same year, once in Amherst and once in Storrs. (UConn won both games.)

Anyway, I'm sad to hear this news about Northeastern. Maybe, though, this will create an opening for a team like Albany. I wouldn't mind seeing the Great Danes in the CAA North . . .

Well...here's the deal. I think Stony Brook is CURRENTLY better positioned over Albany for this spot if the CAA goes that route. However, the NEC rumor mill has them trying to appease Albany specifically and going to 50 rides to keep them in the league after 2010.

I would have to think if that were the case, Albany could find the money for 63 rides.

As for the Stadium situation, it looks like we will finally break ground on a stadium in the Spring...and are just awaiting a report to confirm the location. It will be a 4 year plan, modulation building, and will be NO WORSE than Hofstra's Shuart Stadium.

The thing going for Albany over SBU is simply Bob Ford...but how much weight does that hold. Further, I believe William & Mary's AD is on the University Advisory Board for Albany (if that hasnt changed this year).

That said, I am REALLY SAD I WONT SEEN FCS football in Boston!xbawlingx

93henfan
November 23rd, 2009, 09:53 AM
RIP Northeastern Football.

Go...gate
November 23rd, 2009, 09:54 AM
Well...here's the deal. I think Stony Brook is CURRENTLY better positioned over Albany for this spot if the CAA goes that route. However, the NEC rumor mill has them trying to appease Albany specifically and going to 50 rides to keep them in the league after 2010.

I would have to think if that were the case, Albany could find the money for 63 rides.

As for the Stadium situation, it looks like we will finally break ground on a stadium in the Spring...and are just awaiting a report to confirm the location. It will be a 4 year plan, modulation building, and will be NO WORSE than Hofstra's Shuart Stadium.

The thing going for Albany over SBU is simply Bob Ford...but how much weight does that hold. Further, I believe William & Mary's AD is on the University Advisory Board for Albany (if that hasnt changed this year).

That said, I am REALLY SAD I WONT SEEN FCS football in Boston!xbawlingx

Congratulations - great news for you guys!

Dane96
November 23rd, 2009, 09:55 AM

Not only that...but Stony Brook's new president has told Nancy Zimphyr and others in the "know" that there will be a mandate to reduce a hemmoraghing athletic budget at Stony Brook. Senator Levaille should be sainted by SBU; he got them money...and got them a stadium...something that is impossible to get from NY right now.

However, there will be a reduction of the 22million athletic budget at SBU...(btw, it is more than Buffalo spent....)

UMass922
November 23rd, 2009, 10:06 AM

Thanks for the info! I was a grad student at Albany from '04-'06; I used to live right behind the athletic fields on Western Ave. I'm so happy to hear that a new stadium is in the works. What's the likely location?

Dane96
November 23rd, 2009, 10:09 AM
It isnt that beauty that we had posted for awhile (thank you very much Senate).

It will be located, likely, in the same spot as the current field but "flipped" North-South. It will likely be 6500 seats to start....but added on to about 12,000.

This is the spot they originally wanted the stadium, however Heery told the school if we wanted to expand past 25k we would have road issues. Seriously...if we are expanding past 25k...we will have $$$ to do whatever we want.

Jackman
November 23rd, 2009, 10:13 AM
I don't think the CAA will be adding any other teams. They'll stay at 13 when Georgia State joins and see who shakes loose after that to get back to 12. Only if it becomes clear that none of the 13 are moving anywhere will they take a 14th member.

Dane96
November 23rd, 2009, 10:19 AM
Jackman-- I completely agree with you! I think this gives the CAA some breathing room for when GSU and ODU come aboard and it will allow natural progression of the league to whatever final status occurs with the new teams coming aboard.

Redwyn
November 23rd, 2009, 10:26 AM

Will be interesting to see how our other capital campaigns shape up. We already broke ground for the campus rec center and our new basketball stadium plan has resulted in a second straight season of leaving the larger one empty.....

I guess time will tell of all this. Biggest questions are how much of an impact the FBS money will make and how much more football backing the school will get from alumni after another conference championship....

JMUNJ08
November 23rd, 2009, 10:51 AM
JMU fans support their fellow dogs...VERY upset to never see the mystique of Parsons...xthumbsdownxxbawlingx

CAA football won't be the same...who will JMU play rivalry week now????

JRGNYR
November 23rd, 2009, 10:55 AM
The relationship between VU and the rest of the CAA is tenuous enough. With Delaware as the natural rival in the South, plus a similar school in Richmond (small private school, excellent education) make Nova fit with the South. Nova has ZERO in common with New England state schools and their fans have ALWAYS hated those trips (vs. short drives to UD and Towson, plus nice weekends in Richmond and Williamsburg).

NOT going to happen

Pretty sound reasoning, which would also make me believe should the Patriot League go schollie, 'Nova would balk at a move there too because of road trips to Colgate and Holy Cross every two years. Worcester and Hamilton are a joy in November.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 23rd, 2009, 10:58 AM
This just sucks. I couldn't have imagined that this would happen.

JRGNYR
November 23rd, 2009, 11:07 AM
FWIW, I'd heard from two Northeastern grads earlier this fall that the dropping of the program had been rumored the last five years, so while I really feel awful in hearing this decision, it seems to me that it isn't much of a surprise.

UNHWildCats
November 23rd, 2009, 11:10 AM
http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/2947/92319868.gif

SDSUJacks
November 23rd, 2009, 11:20 AM
This is sad indeed. Glad to hear the players are given help in finding new schools and/or academic help, though. I like the solution of adding ODU to the sorth and switching Towson to the north, it makes sense. Moving Stony Brook in so fast, especially after they just settled in to the Big South, would be detrimental to them now. It will all be sorted out in time.

Old Cat Fan
November 23rd, 2009, 11:24 AM
Well sadly I was a fan at the last UNH- BU game and now was witness to the last UNH-NU game and lets not foget that Vermont vanished also, with some of the sad attendance at the Cats home games it would not be a foolish thought to think it could happen to us.

Now I do hope that some of their studs will transfer to Durham xnodx

Catsfan2
November 23rd, 2009, 11:39 AM
Don't know if anyone saw the article in the NY Times last week -- the State of New York appears to have significant regrets, particularly in the current budget environment, regarding the investment in sports for the State universities -- Albany, Buffalo and Stony Brook.

seattlespider
November 23rd, 2009, 12:38 PM
FWIW, I'd heard from two Northeastern grads earlier this fall that the dropping of the program had been rumored the last five years, so while I really feel awful in hearing this decision, it seems to me that it isn't much of a surprise.

I can't say I'm shocked, but it was still a jolt to hear the news for sure.

GeeWiz
November 23rd, 2009, 01:04 PM
The Boston Globe's Dan Shaughnessy column on NU dropping football ...

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/football/articles/2009/11/23/few_cheers_upon_the_demise_of_northeastern_footbal l/?page=1

UAalum72
November 23rd, 2009, 03:22 PM
Don't know if anyone saw the article in the NY Times last week -- the State of New York appears to have significant regrets, particularly in the current budget environment, regarding the investment in sports for the State universities -- Albany, Buffalo and Stony Brook.

The "State of New York" in that article was one assemblyman, not on the education committee, whose constituency is the City University of NY, and was triggered by lawless behavior in the basketball program at the fourth University Center in Binghamton.

Yes, there's a budget situation, but no widespread outcry against D-I sports.

Bogus Megapardus
November 23rd, 2009, 07:27 PM

This controversy can be avoided permanently. Simply fund the programs privately instead of demanding that taxpayers foot the bill. I would be outraged, too, were I a New York resident called upon under penalty of fine or imprisonment to pay for four Division I scholarship athletic programs in the state.

Bull Fan
November 23rd, 2009, 07:47 PM
This controversy can be avoided permanently. Simply fund the programs privately instead of demanding that taxpayers foot the bill. I would be outraged, too, were I a New York resident called upon under penalty of fine or imprisonment to pay for four Division I scholarship athletic programs in the state.

Politicians have a great way of twisting history. As a Buffalo alum I stick my middle fingers squarely in the face of that elected idiot who regrets the present situation.

Dane96
November 23rd, 2009, 08:34 PM

It was a terrible article and was baseless. In fact, the reporter plans on posting an "update" and retracting certain statements after she was assaulted by numerous alumni from the SUNY schools (with facts).

The State hasnt given as much money as she stated...

Dane96
November 23rd, 2009, 08:34 PM
Politicians have a great way of twisting history. As a Buffalo alum I stick my middle fingers squarely in the face of that elected idiot who regrets the present situation.

You and I agree again Bull. Hell hath frozen over!xnodx

What the lady didnt say in the article is that the same donkey assemblymen has watched his constituency group (CUNY) grow exponentially in State funding to numbers that are nearly identical to the SUNY system.

If anything, that is a public disgrace.

Bull Fan
November 23rd, 2009, 08:47 PM
Dane, you and I probably agree on a lot more. I ignore our previous misalignment(s).... and yes, it'd have been cool to meet up at the LAST Northeastern home game.

Oh well, that said I dig Parsons, a shame it was their last game.

BTW, did you answer my last thread about UMass??? Forget the Hofstra game, you can't tell me UMass was preparing for that offense, it was a "come to Jesus" game for Cohen and company, and we hadn't seen that offense in YEARS. UMass just faced too many challenges of a coaching change and some other personnel issues to be a playoff team coming out of the CAA. Had they been playing in another conference maybe... but you know damn well the Colonial is stacked each and every year.....

Dane96
November 23rd, 2009, 08:52 PM
What thread were you talking about-- been crazy busy so I havent read a few threads.

That would have been sweet to have Husky Alum, Uncle Buck, you and myself at the last game.

You think you can heckle (I saw your post on that)-- well forget it, I have seen hecklers and Husky Alum is at the top of the charts. You two together could have been a riot.

Bull Fan
November 23rd, 2009, 09:06 PM
I lose my voice at games. I am a heckler, but I try not to get personal ;)

Cohen looked up a couple times at Parsons.... ok, so since there were more people on the sidelines than in the stands, I guess he heard me pretty well. Either that or it was Uncle Buck's gas.

maristdb89
November 23rd, 2009, 09:15 PM
Totally sucks. RPI NU.

BloomHusky'01
November 23rd, 2009, 09:34 PM
I hate to see any institution come to the decision to drop football. My best wishes to all the young men who pursue opportunities to continue their football careers.

kdinva
November 23rd, 2009, 10:24 PM
Thats no good....xsmhx I'm really sorry to hear that. What is the rule for the NCAA about guys transferring out of a program that dropped football? they don't have to sit out a year right?
Correct, they can play in 2010. I don't think it matters if they transfer this Winter, or in May/June.

Husky Alum
November 23rd, 2009, 11:56 PM
Correct, they can play in 2010. I don't think it matters if they transfer this Winter, or in May/June.

And the CAA has indicated they can transfer within the conference without having to sit 2 years, as the rule is.

Dane96
November 23rd, 2009, 11:58 PM
That is a quality move by the CAA!