PDA

View Full Version : Hughes out at Princeton

bulldog10jw
November 22nd, 2009, 03:47 PM
http://www.goprincetontigers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=46859&SPID=4263&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=10600&ATCLID=204838634

Hughes went 47-52 in 10 seasons as Princeton head coach. The Tigers finished the 2009 season with a 4-6 record after defeating Dartmouth 23-11 on Saturday. Hughes came to Princeton in 2000 after having served as Dartmouth’s offensive coordinator. He had three winning records at Princeton in his 10 seasons, including a 16-4 stretch in 2005 and 2006 that included a 9-1 record and the 2006 Ivy title.

Ivytalk
November 22nd, 2009, 03:57 PM
I nominate DJOM of Chicago as the new head coach!:)

Bogus Megapardus
November 22nd, 2009, 03:58 PM
As one who lives in the shadow of Princeton Stadium, I'd say that's an intriguing job opening for sure. Cannibalize another Ivy? Try to grab a PL coach? Hmmm . . . .

Pard4Life
November 22nd, 2009, 04:49 PM
Quite funny... I was walking around there today and was wondering what the story was with their football program... great facilities and stadium, yet, they toil in mediocrity... there is no reason why they should not match Harvard and Penn each year... but whatever, as long as we beat them...

Go...gate
November 23rd, 2009, 08:01 AM
As one who lives in the shadow of Princeton Stadium, I'd say that's an intriguing job opening for sure. Cannibalize another Ivy? Try to grab a PL coach? Hmmm . . . .

I can still remember when Bob Myslik invited Dick Vermeil in to talk after Frank Navarro was fired after the 1984 season. He was in the second year of his "burnout" hiatus and had been reported as available to coach again. They met and there were brief hopes he might take the job, but they could not get together.

Hughes had to go. He never should have been there, but Steve Tosches was stupidly let go after the 1999 season.

Wonder if Tom Gilmore at Holy Cross will get a call.

Wildcat80
November 23rd, 2009, 08:05 AM
Quite funny... I was walking around there today and was wondering what the story was with their football program... great facilities and stadium, yet, they toil in mediocrity... there is no reason why they should not match Harvard and Penn each year... but whatever, as long as we beat them...

The D coordinator at Penn might jump at this.

DJOM
November 23rd, 2009, 08:29 AM
IvyTalk thanks for the vote of confidence, if only I could get the Powers that be to go along with that recommendation. Seriously, I just confirmed this story with my son. The team was notified today at their "end of season" meeting. Allegedly they have already started searching for a replacement.

Go...gate
November 23rd, 2009, 09:52 AM
I believe there will be a lot of interest in the job - other than Gilmore, what candidates come to mind? What is Dave Cecchini up to these days?

ngineer
November 23rd, 2009, 11:26 AM
I believe there will be a lot of interest in the job - other than Gilmore, what candidates come to mind? What is Dave Cecchini up to these days?

Cecchini is the OC for Kevin Higgins at The Citadel. We've thought over the years that he would eventually end up back on South Mountain..We certainly could use a new OC/QB coach..."Chick" would fit the bill, and be in place if we don't win the PL next year.

Husky Alum
November 23rd, 2009, 11:31 AM
Rocky Hager just became available. xviolinx

YaleFootballFan
November 23rd, 2009, 11:43 AM
Wow, that didn't take long.

I knew Hughes was on thin ice, but I figured the strong finish - which included a win over rival Yale - might have saved his job at least for one more year.

carney2
November 25th, 2009, 01:49 AM
Does anyone have a feel for how this usually goes? What are the usual "rules" when an Ivy goes coach hunting?

Must have prior head coaching experience?

Must have prior Ivy League experience?

Age?

Hughes was a coordinator at Dartmouth before moving to Princeton. Would this level of experience still be acceptable?

Any Princeton alums in the mix?

Would this program prefer offensive or defensive credentials?

How does Ivy head coaching pay compare to the rest of FCS? Would this job, for instance, be a step up for some FCS head coaches?

colorless raider
November 25th, 2009, 02:02 AM
Does anyone have a feel for how this usually goes? What are the usual "rules" when an Ivy goes coach hunting?

Age?

Hughes was a coordinator at Dartmouth before moving to Princeton. Would this level of experience still be acceptable?

How does Ivy head coaching pay compare to the rest of FCS? Would this job, for instance, be a step up for some FCS head coaches?

They usually go after Lafayette coaches.:D

CFBfan
November 25th, 2009, 02:02 AM
Wow, that didn't take long.

I knew Hughes was on thin ice, but I figured the strong finish - which included a win over rival Yale - might have saved his job at least for one more year.

and yet Coach Kelly with his ever declining record at GU is still gainfuly employed.....go figure???

CFBfan
November 25th, 2009, 02:08 AM

Age?

I don't think that Williams from Yale had any prior head coaching experience? and did anyone see the incredibly stupid call he made at the end of the harvard game?? knowing the previous coach was fired for not beating harvard even though he had a winning record and then with a little over 2 minutes left in the game and a 10 - 7 LEAD he calls a fake punt on 4th and 25 from his own 25!!!!!

Lehigh Football Nation
November 25th, 2009, 02:19 AM
I don't think that Williams from Yale had any prior head coaching experience? and did anyone see the incredibly stupid call he made at the end of the harvard game?? knowing the previous coach was fired for not beating harvard even though he had a winning record and then with a little over 2 minutes left in the game and a 10 - 7 LEAD he calls a fake punt on 4th and 25 from his own 25!!!!!

Yet the same fake punt call at midfield won them the game at Lehigh. But I agree, you can't be doing that there.

CFBfan
November 25th, 2009, 02:24 AM
Yet the same fake punt call at midfield won them the game at Lehigh. But I agree, you can't be doing that there.

i'm not aware of the LU game....were they AHEAD in that one too with a little more than 2 minutes remaining??

Lehigh Football Nation
November 25th, 2009, 02:48 AM
i'm not aware of the LU game....were they AHEAD in that one too with a little more than 2 minutes remaining??

No, it was a 0-0 tie, both offenses were rewriting the books for sucking, and it was at midfield. About a 4th-and-10, though.

CFBfan
November 25th, 2009, 02:52 AM
No, it was a 0-0 tie, both offenses were rewriting the books for sucking, and it was at midfield. About a 4th-and-10, though.

not as bad a call as doing it on 4th and 25 from your own 25 with a LEAD and your D playing well all day! Oh well, easy to sit back and judge after the fact!

Lehigh Football Nation
November 25th, 2009, 03:08 AM
not as bad a call as doing it on 4th and 25 from your own 25 with a LEAD and your D playing well all day! Oh well, easy to sit back and judge after the fact!

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you. When it was happening during the Lehigh game, I was wondering about the fake the entire time, too.

CFBfan
November 25th, 2009, 03:15 AM
Don't get me wrong, I agree with you. When it was happening during the Lehigh game, I was wondering about the fake the entire time, too.

but you had to love the outcome that day!

Pards Rule
November 25th, 2009, 03:59 AM

Bogus, dont we play them next year at the Lair xlolx

Pards Rule
November 25th, 2009, 04:01 AM

I heard Bill Russo is bored and worried about his 401!!

Pards Rule
November 25th, 2009, 04:03 AM

4th and 25 on your 25 with the lead and 2 mins left! WTF?!?!?

CFBfan
November 25th, 2009, 04:25 AM
4th and 25 on your 25 with the lead and 2 mins left! WTF?!?!?
exactly!! it was so bad that they actualy played it on WFAN and then railed the Yale coach.

Ivytalk
November 25th, 2009, 04:27 AM
Back to the theme of the thread. Any hot rumors about a successor coach at Tea-sip Land?

Go...gate
November 25th, 2009, 04:46 AM
I understand that Jake McCandless and Bob Casciola want a second chance. xeekx

Bogus Megapardus
November 25th, 2009, 05:03 AM
Back to the theme of the thread. Any hot rumors about a successor coach at Tea-sip Land?

Yep. Folks are speculating about Tom Gilmore, Pete Lembo and Jason Garrett's brother, John. Also Bob Surace, currently with the Bengals organization. Garrett and Surace played for the Tigers.

And, from the Trenton Times:

http://www.nj.com/princeton/times/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1259045118201500.xml&coll=5

carney2
November 25th, 2009, 07:24 AM

After some of the "decisions" made last Saturday in Bethlehem I'm half inclined to say "go for it."

Pards Rule
November 25th, 2009, 09:00 PM
After some of the "decisions" made last Saturday in Bethlehem I'm half inclined to say "go for it."

Not Frank...are you thinking Loose?

Franks Tanks
November 25th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Not Frank...are you thinking Loose?

Seeing Frank try to schooze the Princeton folks would be classic.

Loose is certainly ready to be a FCS head coach, but it appears Princeton will really try to make a splash with a NFL guy like the oldest Garrett brother, or an established FCS winner and Ivy league guy like Gilmore.

I dont know if Gilmore wants to job however. If his aspiration is to coach at a big time school going to Princeton probably wont help his cause much. His next move would probably be a DC at a big time school or a HC at a crappy FBS school.

Pard4Life
November 25th, 2009, 09:09 PM

Frank is a bonehead once in awhile; clearly last week.

I don't know why everyone loves Loose. Our secondary coverage and strategy SUCKS!! For the third straight year! Nobody has seems to agree with me on this either much on the boards.

DFW HOYA
November 25th, 2009, 09:14 PM
The Trenton Times article correctly notes that Georgetown's Bob Benson was a finalist for the Princeton job in 1999, and with the Georgetown program ascendant he was getting a lot of offers at the time.

That was about the time GU proposed its "Multi-Sport Facility" to help keep Benson at GU, and the clock is still ticking on that project.

CFBfan
November 25th, 2009, 09:31 PM
The Trenton Times article correctly notes that Georgetown's Bob Benson was a finalist for the Princeton job in 1999, and with the Georgetown program ascendant he was getting a lot of offers at the time.

That was about the time GU proposed its "Multi-Sport Facility" to help keep Benson at GU, and the clock is still ticking on that project.

what was his downfall at GU? was it just a new AD wanting "his own guy"?
where is he now?

CFBfan
November 25th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Yep. Folks are speculating about Tom Gilmore, Pete Lembo and Jason Garrett's brother, John. Also Bob Surace, currently with the Bengals organization. Garrett and Surace played for the Tigers.

And, from the Trenton Times:

http://www.nj.com/princeton/times/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1259045118201500.xml&coll=5

where does John Garrett coach now? is he a HC?

DFW HOYA
November 25th, 2009, 09:38 PM
what was his downfall at GU? was it just a new AD wanting "his own guy"?
where is he now?

Benson was 48-16 in the MAAC era, but 24-42 in the PL era. When Bernard Muir came in from Notre Dame he wanted a change, and Benson resigned a month after the 2005 season ended, when GU finished 4-7. (Of course, GU hasn't seen a 4-7 anytime since.)

Benson is the DC at Division II's Colorado School of Mines - a world away from Old Nassau.

Bogus Megapardus
November 25th, 2009, 09:41 PM
where does John Garrett coach now? is he a HC?

He is the Tight Ends coach for the Cowboys. In other words, he is responsible these days for Jason Witten. Here's his bio:

http://www.dallascowboys.com/team/team_biosCoachExec.cfm?newName=John_Garrett

CFBfan
November 25th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Benson was 48-16 in the MAAC era, but 24-42 in the PL era. When Bernard Muir came in from Notre Dame he wanted a change, and Benson resigned a month after the 2005 season ended, when GU finished 4-7. (Of course, GU hasn't seen a 4-7 anytime since.)

Benson is the DC at Division II's Colorado School of Mines - a world away from Old Nassau.

wow, thanks DFW. sounds like both Benson and GU have gone backwards.....

Bogus Megapardus
November 25th, 2009, 09:47 PM

Perhaps someone should meet him for a nice Shepherd's Pie and Guinness dinner at the A&B.

ngineer
November 26th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Didn't Gilmore apply for the Yale job? I thought he was a finalist. So, it would seem to me he'd be just as interested in Princeton...much better facilities, and smack dab in the middle of a ton of high school recruits, and not far from Lafayette and Lehigh for rivalry purposes. I do agree, if he has designs on going 'big time' such a move could be a side track. Same as with Lembo. Being HC at one of the Big 3 in IL has a certain panache, and again, I think Lembo is looking to move up and not laterally. Cecchini would be interesting, but it would be his first HC gig, and I doubt Princeton wants to be a 'training ground'. I think Cecchini is on Lehigh's short list if Coen doesn't turn it around next year, and he may know it, so to make such a move would shelve any such ambition. I can see the Garrett connection as sparking new interest in PU.

Go...gate
November 26th, 2009, 12:41 PM
I hope they don't try to steal Dick Biddle. Princeton tried desperately to get Fred Dunlap twice from Colgate - in 1977 and 1984. He said no thanks both times.