PDA

View Full Version : ASU v WM

WMTribe90
November 22nd, 2009, 10:59 AM
Realize this a likely match-up in the first round. I'll start by saying, the playoff system is obviously superior to the BCS and that you eventually have to beat great teams to win the NC, whether in the first round or semis.

However, something is wrong with a playoff system that should reward the competitors for their on-field performance when the #5 team plays the #6 team in the first round of a sixteen team playoff. Both these teams have earned home games in the first round.

I really hope we go back to seeding the entire field or at least the top 8. At a minimum, add a rule stating teams ranked in the top six can't play each other in the first round or something similar (as we do with teams form the same conference).

I've felt this was way before this year and not just because WM and ASU are potentially being burned this year.

To me the integrity of the competition is more important than saving a couple thousand bucks here and there on travel costs. It wouldn't add that much to the cost of the playoffs to avoid matching up top teams in the first round.

Okay, that's my rant, I'll try not to repeat again if ASU and WM are paired this afternoon and just concentrate on beating whoever we pull.

19Duke97
November 22nd, 2009, 11:05 AM
Realize this a likely match-up in the first round. I'll start by saying, the playoff system is obviously superior to the BCS and that you eventually have to beat great teams to win the NC, whether in the first round or semis.

However, something is wrong with a playoff system that should reward the competitors for their on-field performance when the #5 team plays the #6 team in the first round of a sixteen team playoff. Both these teams have earned home games in the first round.

I really hope we go back to seeding the entire field or at least the top 8. At a minimum, add a rule stating teams ranked in the top six can't play each other in the first round or something similar (as we do with teams form the same conference).

I've felt this was way before this year and not just because WM and ASU are potentially being burned this year.

To me the integrity of the competition is more important than saving a couple thousand bucks here and there on travel costs. It wouldn't add that much to the cost of the playoffs to avoid matching up top teams in the first round.

Okay, that's my rant, I'll try not to repeat again if ASU and WM are paired this afternoon and just concentrate on beating whoever we pull.

Yeah it would stink for you all, b/c most likely you would be sent on the road, and agree they should seed at least the top 8. JMU was in this unfor position 2 years in a row and sent to ASU and YSU.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 22nd, 2009, 11:14 AM

In some instances, much more than 'A couple thousand' bucks is saved. Let's be honest, very few programs at our level make any money.

We have a playoff system. Sure it has some flaws ... but its very rare that the best team isn't crowned in the end.

PS - don't sweat the trip to Boone. Boone is a fun place to see a game ... and you will have a very good chance to beat them.

AlphaSigMD
November 22nd, 2009, 11:19 AM

Slightly different take - For a person like me (who because of schedule, usually only gets to see the Thanksgiving weekend game, and maybe the National Championship game in a good year) - I look forward to some of the interesting match ups that have come over the years on thanksgiving weekend.

SCState, JMUx2, Maine, FAMU, Troy State (Turkey and TV) William and Mary (maybe x 2). Win (yea!) or lose (On a last minute play to Maine's ridiculous QB, or to the Cheaters at FAMU) I think I like these types of games better than games against Lafayette, Tennessee State, etc. Coastal was a toss-up because they were a regional match up that we'd only played once before.

TheTribeHasSpoken
November 22nd, 2009, 11:22 AM
Slightly different take - For a person like me (who because of schedule, usually only gets to see the Thanksgiving weekend game, and maybe the National Championship game in a good year) - I look forward to some of the interesting match ups that have come over the years on thanksgiving weekend.

SCState, JMUx2, Maine, FAMU, Troy State (Turkey and TV) William and Mary (maybe x 2). Win (yea!) or lose (On a last minute play to Maine's ridiculous QB, or to the Cheaters at FAMU) I think I like these types of games better than games against Lafayette, Tennessee State, etc. Coastal was a toss-up because they were a regional match up that we'd only played once before.Because you're always at home.

BlackNGold
November 22nd, 2009, 11:59 AM
I see us playing UNH, In my bracket i've got William and Marry playing SC State

AlphaSigMD
November 22nd, 2009, 12:01 PM
Because you're always at home.

We were on the road for Troy State.

Can't argue with the fact that the High Country has an extraordinary fan base, but on thanksgiving weekend in particular, we don't draw as well as we normally do in the high country. I would imagine that at a William and Mary home football game against ASU on thanksgiving weekend, ASU would probably still outnumber W&M fans at WZ stadium. How many does that place hold anyway? 11k?

WrenFGun
November 22nd, 2009, 12:01 PM
I don't believe that W&M is in the geographic proximity of SCST, but is for App. (Don't quite me on this...I remember making out a bracket with that exact scenario in front of me).

Saint3333
November 22nd, 2009, 12:07 PM
I agree, seeding the top 8 should be a minimum. That is the only positive I can see from expanding the playoffs to 20 teams, but I'll sure they come up with some BS for that too.

For the UR guy sure W&M has a good chance to beat ASU, they could best anyone in the FCS with that defense. However they have a good chance to loss to ASU as well and as the 6th ranked team in the land should have an "easier" opponent in round one.

Would W&M rather play Elon or SDST at home under a 16 seeding matchup or ASU in Boone, pretty easy IMO.

I know I'd rather play SDST than W&M next weekend.

aceinthehole
November 22nd, 2009, 12:07 PM

Good point, but I think the 20-team tourney will make this less of an issue.

ASU_Fanatic
November 22nd, 2009, 12:12 PM
Were gonna get stuck with W&M, guys. Just gonna hve to get used to it.

TheTribeHasSpoken
November 22nd, 2009, 12:18 PM
We were on the road for Troy State.

Can't argue with the fact that the High Country has an extraordinary fan base, but on thanksgiving weekend in particular, we don't draw as well as we normally do in the high country. I would imagine that at a William and Mary home football game against ASU on thanksgiving weekend, ASU would probably still outnumber W&M fans at WZ stadium. How many does that place hold anyway? 11k?It's between 12 and 13, and there's absolutely no way there would be more App fans than W&M. 0% chance.

Saint3333
November 22nd, 2009, 12:27 PM
Of course there's a 0% chance, which is about the same chance I'd give W&M at hosting ASU.

MasonJar
November 22nd, 2009, 12:54 PM
Yeah it would stink for you all, b/c most likely you would be sent on the road, and agree they should seed at least the top 8. JMU was in this unfor position 2 years in a row and sent to ASU and YSU.

Yup. worked pretty good for your guys one of those years! xpeacexxthumbsupx

MasonJar
November 22nd, 2009, 12:56 PM
It's between 12 and 13, and there's absolutely no way there would be more App fans than W&M. 0% chance.

Don't count your chickens/tickets before they are sold.xcoffeex

Aho_Old_Guy
November 22nd, 2009, 01:04 PM
I think W&M and Appalachian are legitimate contenders for the NC, and there is no way they will meet in the 1st round.

Second round --- yes ---- rightly so because that would reflect 'unofficial' 5/6 seeding for the teams.

Waco Kid
November 22nd, 2009, 01:11 PM
I don't see W&M and App playing in the first round either.

For the teams in the east I could see NH@ App, W&M@ SCSU, Elon@ UR, and HC @ Nova.

appstate38
November 22nd, 2009, 01:27 PM
Because you're always at home.

This is not going to come out the way I intend it but I don't know how else to say it..... First of all we earned those playoff games at home. The 2006 season ( i think) we would have had to travel in the second round but one of the seeded teams in our bracket got beat so that's not our fault. Second I am having some trouble listening to the fans of a VERY GOOD W&M team fuss about having to play us in the first round, when their recent playoff experience is not very good. Finishing 3rd in the nation in 04 was great but the consistent play as far as playoffs has not been there.

With that said I don't care who we play...... If it is W&M, then I know it will be a good one. Its championship time and to be the best you have to beat some really good teams.... IF you don't want that challenge then something is wrong with you.

Just saying