xnodx

:D

Franks Tanks
November 22nd, 2009, 09:58 AM
xnodx

5-6, 5-6, 4-7

Great Job Lehigh..puff out that chest

Bucknell also beat Holy Cross yesterday. Does anyone think Bucknell is the better team?

Bogus Megapardus
November 22nd, 2009, 10:03 AM
xnodx

Not convinced. You won the game (yes, turnovers and penalties do catch up with a team). Have seen all the games; Lehigh has nowhere near the skill, talent or coaching of Holy Cross or Colgate. You are what your record says you are.

Yes, Lehigh can play football. What was the other option, a forfeit? Was there a non-playing option?

Pard4Life
November 22nd, 2009, 10:05 AM
I beg to differ; Lehigh will be good next year.

Franks Tanks
November 22nd, 2009, 10:10 AM

Just like they were suspossed to be 9-2 this year.

Pard4Life
November 22nd, 2009, 10:15 AM
We will see... it only makes it more dramatic when we win in Fisher next year.

Bogus Megapardus
November 22nd, 2009, 11:25 AM

Define "good." Will they win more games? At 11-0 they're still not "good." I sure as heck wouldn't want to be one.

ngineer
November 23rd, 2009, 11:39 AM
We should be good next year, and anything less than a PL title should be considered a failure. Coen was probably right in his overexuberance last year with the strong finish and not seeing how much of an impact losing a good number of senior leaders would carry over. I think he, and then we, expected too much of a lot of sophomores/frosh in being ablel to make an immediate impact. By league play, they had started to get their footing and a number came up big at crunch time yesterday. The QB position will need to step it up with consistency. Clark looks very good one series and lousey the next. He'll have one last shot to get it done, and if he doesn't Coen is likely done, too.

As for this thread....I couldn't help myself. I took a load of crap from a bunch of you for posting a thread with the same title after we lost in the last minute to Holy Cross. Never said we were world beaters, but that we can compete with anyone in our league, and dammit, when we limit our mistakes, we win...So yes, pitiful 'pards, you have the better team on paper. But we had the better on the field Saturday. It made fewer mistakes.

Bogus Megapardus
November 23rd, 2009, 07:05 PM
I feel terribly for the football program at Northeastern. However, I hope Lehigh leaves the PL and takes the spot in the CAA vacated by the Huskies. Given the behavior of adults - not students by parents and alumni - I would like to see the league distance itself from Lehigh and encourage it to leave. Lehigh is a major nation university with broad name recognition, and a national athletic power across the board (especially in wrestling). It would be a good fit in the CAA. Natural football rivalries with Delaware and Villanova already are in place.

Doc QB
November 23rd, 2009, 07:41 PM
Bogus, your humor is generally more funny...you are taking this really, really hard. To think the teams were that unevenly matched is really kinda naive. Throw in the impact of the rivalry, it can be a tremendous equalizer, too.

I feel particularly bad for Curley, who is an excellent player, and who will remember that underthrown ball on that wheel route in OT for his entire life. Micky Fein went with that Jonathan Hurt play way early, shame on him as OC, LU new it was coming, and although it looks like the DBs were beaten if he throws a better ball, the LB Pierce made the play of the game.

It was a fun game to attend, underdog won, and it will contribute to the lore of the rivalry.

Pard4Life
November 23rd, 2009, 09:20 PM
Bogus, your humor is generally more funny...you are taking this really, really hard. To think the teams were that unevenly matched is really kinda naive. Throw in the impact of the rivalry, it can be a tremendous equalizer, too.

I feel particularly bad for Curley, who is an excellent player, and who will remember that underthrown ball on that wheel route in OT for his entire life. Micky Fein went with that Jonathan Hurt play way early, shame on him as OC, LU new it was coming, and although it looks like the DBs were beaten if he throws a better ball, the LB Pierce made the play of the game.

It was a fun game to attend, underdog won, and it will contribute to the lore of the rivalry.

I was thinking that was a Hurt like play too after the fact. Lehigh was not ready for this one either... just that Curley throws a near line drive instead of an arching ball.

LUHawker
November 23rd, 2009, 09:45 PM
I was thinking that was a Hurt like play too after the fact. Lehigh was not ready for this one either... just that Curley throws a near line drive instead of an arching ball.

Don't know about that P4L. I agree that IF Curley had put more air under that ball it was 6. That being said, according to comments by the Lehigh players, they had been practicing defending that play all week long, so they apparently were looking for it to some degree.

I'd also argue that the style of that play does not augur for a lofty-thrown pass. It seems like a timing pattern to me to some degree as Curley comes out of the wheel and throws it towards the receiver as opposed to turning, surveying the landscape and then assessing how to throw that pass.

As I think about that play more, it seems eerily familiar to the interception play that he threw in the 144th. In both cases, Al Pierce made the difference. He seriously pressured him last year and had the pick this year.

Pierce 2 - Curley 0 (although maybe Curley got him in the 143rd - I don't know)

I don't claim to be an X's and O's guy, but if Lehigh was teaching its LBs to "stay at home" on that play and not bite on the run and Curley was thinking they'd bite, then he wouldn't be thinking to loft one over. Just a theory.

Bogus Megapardus
November 23rd, 2009, 09:50 PM

I am quite serious. I will never again take my family to Lehigh University for any reason whatsoever. It is a personal preference, of course, but I would prefer that Lafayette College not be allied with Lehigh University for any purpose. It has nothing to do with the outcome of the game, which Lafayette lost, without excuse.

Pard4Life
November 23rd, 2009, 10:11 PM
Don't know about that P4L. I agree that IF Curley had put more air under that ball it was 6. That being said, according to comments by the Lehigh players, they had been practicing defending that play all week long, so they apparently were looking for it to some degree.

I'd also argue that the style of that play does not augur for a lofty-thrown pass. It seems like a timing pattern to me to some degree as Curley comes out of the wheel and throws it towards the receiver as opposed to turning, surveying the landscape and then assessing how to throw that pass.

As I think about that play more, it seems eerily familiar to the interception play that he threw in the 144th. In both cases, Al Pierce made the difference. He seriously pressured him last year and had the pick this year.

Pierce 2 - Curley 0 (although maybe Curley got him in the 143rd - I don't know)

I don't claim to be an X's and O's guy, but if Lehigh was teaching its LBs to "stay at home" on that play and not bite on the run and Curley was thinking they'd bite, then he wouldn't be thinking to loft one over. Just a theory.

True they may have been practicing that play and stayed at home, but Curley was looking right at the reciever/defender. He threw it right to him. I thought the defender was going to drop it since he was so surprised it was right in his hands.

Franks Tanks
November 23rd, 2009, 10:15 PM
True they may have been practicing that play and stayed at home, but Curley was looking right at the reciever/defender. He threw it right to him. I thought the defender was going to drop it since he was so surprised it was right in his hands.

Rob had such a great year, and it is a shame his career ended on a play that was so out of character for him. ( I have never seen Curley make a worse pass)

He will be remembered for a long time as a very good QB.. what a shame he went out like that

Lehigh Football Nation
November 23rd, 2009, 10:31 PM

Rob had such a great year, and it is a shame his career ended on a play that was so out of character for him. ( I have never seen Curley make a worse pass)

He will be remembered for a long time as a very good QB.. what a shame he went out like that

To me, in the box, the whole play unwrapped in slow motion. You couldn't believe the pass left his hands.... and that Pierce was there... and what he had to do to come down with it.

If you saw my recap you saw how much respect I had for Curley - I talked more about him than I did the MVP! He played a great game except for those handful of throws that he will always want back. Of course, he does have the memory of beating Lehigh in 2007 on that slant pattern, too, so at least he's tasted victory in "The Rivalry".

I saw him in the post-game press conference. I don't think you'll hear the last of Rob Curley after this game. IMO, after graduation he's going to be a coach somewhere. You can just tell; he has this in his blood. This one play will not define the rest of his life. xthumbsupx

Andy
November 23rd, 2009, 10:40 PM
I am quite serious. I will never again take my family to Lehigh University for any reason whatsoever. It is a personal preference, of course, but I would prefer that Lafayette College not be allied with Lehigh University for any purpose. It has nothing to do with the outcome of the game, which Lafayette lost, without excuse.

Right on, Bogus.

Listen, Lehigh won the game on the field, we had everything to gain and couldn't get it done. Shame on us. And that trick play was also shameful in my view.

But, I had family with me, too. In a five minute walk to the stadium we had more "F--- You"s thrown at us than I've had in my entire life--I'm not young and haven't led a sheltered existence, either. The Lehigh people want to turn the rivalry into a literal pissing contest, it seems. More in the stadium and of course the disgraceful taunting. Is there any discipline imposed at Lehigh by anyone at any level--players, students, fANSI'm done. The place is a cesspool.

LUHawker
November 23rd, 2009, 10:43 PM

Before throwing stones, BM, you might want to think if LC lives in a glass house also. I've experienced lots of bad behavior by LC fans over the years and while not condoning it, think that its part of the nature of the rivalry. I've heard plenty of obnoxious comments and seen poor behavior.

When LC has won in the past, maybe you were too caught up to see LC fans' behavior. While I hope you don't get to experience that anytime soon, you may want to pay attention to it next time around before you pack in the entire thing.

It's your prerogative, but I doubt that you are the first or last LCer or LUer who hasn't been proud of the other side's antics.

Pard4Life
November 23rd, 2009, 10:49 PM
Right on, Bogus.

Listen, Lehigh won the game on the field, we had everything to gain and couldn't get it done. Shame on us. And that trick play was also shameful in my view.

But, I had family with me, too. In a five minute walk to the stadium we had more "F--- You"s thrown at us than I've had in my entire life--I'm not young and haven't led a sheltered existence, either. The Lehigh people want to turn the rivalry into a literal pissing contest, it seems. More in the stadium and of course the disgraceful taunting. I'm done. The place is a cesspool.

Why was it so "raw" this year? I got that feeling in the parking lot before the game. It was not this way in 2003 or 2005, or even 2007. I was over in the Lehigh tailgate area behind Goodman a few years ago, wearing Maroon, an nothing really happened (except one big explecitive from a middle aged woman).

I ventured over to the Lehigh side since I have friends there and I took my Pard hat off walking through the crowd... you know some moron will snatch it.

Andy
November 23rd, 2009, 10:52 PM

Right on, Bogus.

But, I had family with me, too. In a five minute walk to the stadium we had more "F--- You"s thrown at us than I've had in my entire life--I'm not young and haven't led a sheltered existence, either. The Lehigh people want to turn the rivalry binto a literal pissing contest, it seems. More in the stadium and of course the disgraceful taunting. Is there any discipline imposed at any level at Lehigh--players, fans , students, parents? I'm done. The place is a cesspool.

Bogus Megapardus
November 23rd, 2009, 10:57 PM
Before throwing stones, BM, you might want to think if LC lives in a glass house also. I've experienced lots of bad behavior by LC fans over the years and while not condoning it, think that its part of the nature of the rivalry. I've heard plenty of obnoxious comments and seen poor behavior.

When LC has won in the past, maybe you were too caught up to see LC fans' behavior. While I hope you don't get to experience that anytime soon, you may want to pay attention to it next time around before you pack in the entire thing.

It's your prerogative, but I doubt that you are the first or last LCer or LUer who hasn't been proud of the other side's antics.

I participated in antics as a student as well. Here's why it's different, perhaps. At Lafayette, the game is on campus. One parks there or in the community. The atmosphere itself maintains as acceptable level of decorum. At Lehigh, one is not within the confines of the University, but in a former cow pasture some miles removed. The impetus for such decorum is subtracted and is replaced with a frontier-style drunken bravado. Attendees haven't the experience or self control to manage it properly. Thus, foul slurs are hurled at my teenage daughter with impunity.

No, LUHauker, I will not be returning to Lehigh University for any purpose whatsoever, whether Lehigh "shows it can play" or not. I'm done.

RichH2
November 23rd, 2009, 11:38 PM
Bogus,

Tried topost yesterday but AGS crashed. No excuse for crude behavior on either side. Truly sorry for your kids experience Certainly can understand your reaction. But, altho not you, so many Pards are taking a holier than thou attitude. Please. 3 years ago I was walking with my family to Game. A bunch of well oiled Pards decided to pick on my daughter, a frosh at LU that year. i will not repeat the various obscenities that continued as we walked towards your stadium. They only stopped when some Pard alums intervened for which I am thankful.
drunk students a perennial problem over the years. But they are not the sole concern of LU students, both schools have to crack down a bit on their own.

Lehigh74
November 24th, 2009, 01:10 AM
Bogus,

Tried topost yesterday but AGS crashed. No excuse for crude behavior on either side. Truly sorry for your kids experience Certainly can understand your reaction. But, altho not you, so many Pards are taking a holier than thou attitude. Please. 3 years ago I was walking with my family to Game. A bunch of well oiled Pards decided to pick on my daughter, a frosh at LU that year. i will not repeat the various obscenities that continued as we walked towards your stadium. They only stopped when some Pard alums intervened for which I am thankful.
drunk students a perennial problem over the years. But they are not the sole concern of LU students, both schools have to crack down a bit on their own.

Rich you are 100% correct. For anyone to claim that the students at Lafayette are somehow more classy or less crude than Lehigh students is an absolute joke. Both schools have academically gifted students some of whom are classy and some of whom are jerks. Since Lehigh has twice as as many students as Lafayette it stands to reason that they have twice as many classy kids and also twice as many jerks. I was at the game last year at Lafayette and heard the entire Lafayette student section chanting "Lehigh Sucks". So don't try to tell me that the Lafayette students have halos over their heads.

ngineer
November 24th, 2009, 01:12 AM
Why was it so "raw" this year? I got that feeling in the parking lot before the game. It was not this way in 2003 or 2005, or even 2007. I was over in the Lehigh tailgate area behind Goodman a few years ago, wearing Maroon, an nothing really happened (except one big explecitive from a middle aged woman).

I ventured over to the Lehigh side since I have friends there and I took my Pard hat off walking through the crowd... you know some moron will snatch it.

My view is that there was a ton of pregame crap/trash talk that was mirrored on this site. Yes, we're just a few old farts, but multiply by all the technology and media today, and I get the sense that there was a lot of premature gloatiing that LU didn't even have a 'right' to be in the same presence as LC. FWIW, since I live in Easton, I've have parked my car discreetly at friends homes off campus and walked the few blocks to whatever event I've attended there for fear of vandalism to my car since I have a Lehigh decal and plate holder. Had my car smeared with all sorts of stuff many years ago and have not forgotten. We both have too many pampered idiots and idiocy fueled with alcohol is not nice.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 24th, 2009, 01:19 AM
Yes, we're just a few old farts, but multiply by all the technology and media today, and I get the sense that there was a lot of premature gloatiing that LU didn't even have a 'right' to be in the same presence as LC.

Speaking of which, where *is* Pard94? xrotatehx ;)

Bogus Megapardus
November 24th, 2009, 01:35 AM
Pre-game trash talk is fine - the more over-the-top, the better. The game is what it is. Lehigh won and Lafayette failed to do so. The game is not played on paper. But I am incensed over a number of ad hominem insults and I am still fuming.

Pard4Life
November 24th, 2009, 01:59 AM
Speaking of which, where *is* Pard94? xrotatehx ;)

PennDOT had some emergency road repairs past HBG on the Turnpike... no reception.

Pard4Life
November 24th, 2009, 02:07 AM
My view is that there was a ton of pregame crap/trash talk that was mirrored on this site. Yes, we're just a few old farts, but multiply by all the technology and media today, and I get the sense that there was a lot of premature gloatiing that LU didn't even have a 'right' to be in the same presence as LC. FWIW, since I live in Easton, I've have parked my car discreetly at friends homes off campus and walked the few blocks to whatever event I've attended there for fear of vandalism to my car since I have a Lehigh decal and plate holder. Had my car smeared with all sorts of stuff many years ago and have not forgotten. We both have too many pampered idiots and idiocy fueled with alcohol is not nice.

... which goes back to my point that people who don't realize we have football teams cause problems. Anyone who pays attention knew that LU was no cupcake team post Bucknell.

As for this site, I don't think any of this qualifies much as crap/trash talk, which I consider to be profanity and overt aggressiveness. It sticks to football talk for the most part.

Bogus Megapardus
November 24th, 2009, 02:09 AM
Three Patriot League teams in the final regular-season Coaches poll. I think that's a first. There seems to be a problem with my computer, though, because none of them is spelled L-E-H-I-G-H.

Go...gate
November 24th, 2009, 02:14 AM
Rich you are 100% correct. For anyone to claim that the students at Lafayette are somehow more classy or less crude than Lehigh students is an absolute joke. Both schools have academically gifted students some of whom are classy and some of whom are jerks. Since Lehigh has twice as as many students as Lafayette it stands to reason that they have twice as many classy kids and also twice as many jerks. I was at the game last year at Lafayette and heard the entire Lafayette student section chanting "Lehigh Sucks". So don't try to tell me that the Lafayette students have halos over their heads.

Well said, 74.

Pard4Life
November 24th, 2009, 02:20 AM
Well said, 74.

True. But Lehigh sucks vs. F Lafayette? Seriously... I can't even type the word on here.

LUHawker
November 24th, 2009, 02:39 AM

I agree with P4L and ngineer. It did seem to be more "raw" this year and there was a lot of pre-game holier than thou stuff coming from the LC side. Not just about the football team, but about just how godly LC's facilities are compared to the "toilet bowl" that is Goodman. Throw in talk of at-large playoff bids, renaming the Lehigh Valley to Lafayette Valley, denigrating Lehigh's founder Asa Packer, by transcribing his name as AS$a Packer and other things such as Lehigh's colors, location in Bethlehem, yada yada yada, and you get a situation rife with frustration and fueled by alcohol.

In my many years following this game, talking my own smack and taking some smack back, one always sensed some level of mutual respect, if not love, between people from both schools. I think we've all gotten away from that somehow.

The pendulum never seems to be in the middle with this Rivalry.

Franks Tanks
November 24th, 2009, 02:48 AM
I agree with P4L and ngineer. It did seem to be more "raw" this year and there was a lot of pre-game holier than thou stuff coming from the LC side. Not just about the football team, but about just how godly LC's facilities are compared to the "toilet bowl" that is Goodman. Throw in talk of at-large playoff bids, renaming the Lehigh Valley to Lafayette Valley, denigrating Lehigh's founder Asa Packer, by transcribing his name as AS$a Packer and other things such as Lehigh's colors, location in Bethlehem, yada yada yada, and you get a situation rife with frustration and fueled by alcohol.

In my many years following this game, talking my own smack and taking some smack back, one always sensed some level of mutual respect, if not love, between people from both schools. I think we've all gotten away from that somehow.

There was a lot of Lafayette smack on here leading up to the game, but I highly doubt it contributed to the pre-game atmosphere in anyway. I didnt hear anything directed at me personally but I heard punk kids on both sides making comments.

Why is this??? I dont know, but it is more of an indication of the behavior of kids these days in general and the lisence to mis-behave at sporting events.

Pard4Life
November 24th, 2009, 03:07 AM

I would be shocked banter on here was picked up or echoed by anyone else on an independent basis (except the Laf Valley name). Nobody probably even realizes the Goodman vs Fisher debate. And even Laf kids would admit Easton is a dump vs Bethlehem. Again, I think it's the alcohol and crowd mentality... like a bull seeing red.

Pard4Life
November 24th, 2009, 03:11 AM
On another note, Lehigh was charging $5 for programs (a rip-off at this level) and to boot, the messed up the rosters in the book!! Only half of Laf and Lehigh rosters were shown in the middle. That and all the ads and no stories. LFN... do something about this!

Bogus Megapardus
November 24th, 2009, 03:15 AM
Um . . . did "Lafayette Valley" actually strike a chord? More to the point, is there a notion that it somehow was beyond the pale of lively banter? Sheesh. And I thought the short bus reference was much worse . . . .

BloomHusky'01
November 24th, 2009, 03:24 AM
I was at the stadium a couple of hours before the game and I saw a fair amount of questionable behavior from people wearing both schools' colors. When you get that many kids together for a big event and thrown in lots of alcohol, you are going to have ugliness no matter where you are. I saw some things I didn't like on Saturday, but expect that would have been true in Easton as well. I've been on enough college campuses to know not to judge an institution based on behavior I see at football games ;)

As far as the final play in overtime, I too felt really bad for Curly that it was his final play. But I think it was more of a great play by the linebacker than a poor play by Curly. If you watch the replay (which may still be available on espn360) you can see the defender come up and then drop into coverage when we anticipated what was coming. He put himself in exactly the right place at the right time. I don't think Curly saw him drop into coverage and that was that. Great play by the defense.

ngineer
November 24th, 2009, 07:26 AM
There was a lot of Lafayette smack on here leading up to the game, but I highly doubt it contributed to the pre-game atmosphere in anyway. I didnt hear anything directed at me personally but I heard punk kids on both sides making comments.

Why is this??? I dont know, but it is more of an indication of the behavior of kids these days in general and the lisence to mis-behave at sporting events.

Absolutely. I made a long post on LFN's site earlier this evening about that. I was not saying that what occured here on AGS caused the conduct on Saturday. My point was if what was occuring was being duplicated by exponential factors with today's media/internet technology, there can be a lot of fuel to fire. Same problem we see with unsubstantiated 'news' reports that get a populace riled up over something false. Unfortunately, especially with younger people who have not learned the 'give and take', many can't distinguish between the 'good natured' ribbing and take it personally.

ngineer
November 24th, 2009, 07:29 AM
On another note, Lehigh was charging $5 for programs (a rip-off at this level) and to boot, the messed up the rosters in the book!! Only half of Laf and Lehigh rosters were shown in the middle. That and all the ads and no stories. LFN... do something about this!

Whoa--you must have gotten a defect, because I'm looking at mine right now. The middle contains the expected starting lineups and 'two-deep'. Each teams full roster is right behind either side page of 'the middle....xconfusedx

Pard4Life
November 24th, 2009, 07:40 AM
Whoa--you must have gotten a defect, because I'm looking at mine right now. The middle contains the expected starting lineups and 'two-deep'. Each teams full roster is right behind either side page of 'the middle....xconfusedx

Look closely... who is Lafayette's number 80?

the last indian
November 24th, 2009, 07:40 AM
Shame on both schools. That kind of behavior should be dealt with. It would never happen at Colgate because the students don't bother to come to the games.
Anyway, LU/LC is a great rivalry with a terrific history and I can remember upsets going the other way.
So congratualtions to the Leopards for a great year and to the Hawks for the upset. For my money, Lehigh is the favorite for next year but I am sure that Lafayette and hopefully Colgate may have some answers.
It is a long winter, time to cool it. Good riddance to Randolf (after the playoffs, naturally).

GateRaider63
November 24th, 2009, 08:02 AM

Yep, according to the program, I was supposed to be kicking for Lafayette. I knew I was supposed to be somewhere on Saturday. xbangx

LUHawker
November 24th, 2009, 09:02 AM

I wasn't expressly saying that comments from AGS were driving the behavior so much as it was reflective of an underlying "tone". Just imagine if these relatively innocuous comments here have a "tone", can you fathom what sort of drivel may be spewed elsewhere. Of course, very few, if any students actually peruse this board so this has no bearing.

ngineer
November 24th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Look closely... who is Lafayette's number 80?

Hah! I hadn't caught that. Of course, I usually keep my program open to 'starters' page, and only flip to the full roster to check out someone's hometown, or size, if not a starter. #80 on the starters pageis Doty. With today's technology, and 'merging' information, I find it downright weird that Simonds would be listed. And, we were at Colgate this year, so it's not like old program information somehow got mixed up...well, at least the color is the same with both being maroon!

Pard4Life
November 24th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Hah! I hadn't caught that. Of course, I usually keep my program open to 'starters' page, and only flip to the full roster to check out someone's hometown, or size, if not a starter. #80 on the starters pageis Doty. With today's technology, and 'merging' information, I find it downright weird that Simonds would be listed. And, we were at Colgate this year, so it's not like old program information somehow got mixed up...well, at least the color is the same with both being maroon!

It was last year's Colgate roster, which makes it even more weird. Tavani and co. are listed at the bottom correctly too. Heck I wouldn't mind Simonds and Hennesey.