PDA

View Full Version : More SportsNetwork Nonsense

TexasTerror
May 3rd, 2005, 04:29 PM
I don't think I've seen this one anywhere, so I figured I would post here and we can talk about people's schedules and if we agree with the decisions made by Dougherty.
----------------
Extra Point - 2005 I-AA Schedules Pose Challenges
By Matt Dougherty, The Sports Network

Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) - If there was ever any doubt about which rulings would pass at the April 28th NCAA Board of Directors meeting, just take one look at this year’s I-AA non-conference schedules.

Last week, the official decisions came down regarding I-A teams facing I-AA competition. The "one-in-four" rule, where I-A teams were only allowed to count a win against a I-AA opponent for bowl eligibility once every four years, was officially rescinded.

Marginal I-A bowl teams like Kansas expected this change and didn’t steer clear from scheduling an opponent from the sub-classification. As a result, I-AA teams will play 52 games against non-transition I-A competition compared to 45 a year ago. Six I-AA teams play more than one game against a I-A, and the entire Big Sky and all but one Southland team takes on a I-A opponent. Beginning next year, when I-A teams have the option to schedule 12 regular season games, expect the totals to ascend even higher.

Continued...

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=/cfoot2/news/AGN3877979.htm

yomama
May 3rd, 2005, 05:09 PM
The writers change, but they keep the same theme with Georgetown.

"Hoyas are entering their fourth year as a member of the Patriot League, and playing four I-AA mid-major programs in the same year is no longer acceptable."

" The Hoyas history of Mid-Major competition continues with three on the 2005 slate."

Somewhere on this board, I saw a column about how I-As should not play I-AAs...it got ripped here, but the author took the time to list his suggested alternatives.

If there's anyone here who believes Georgetown shouldn't be playing the three untouchables in question, I'd like to see them lay out specific alternatives. Presumably, they would be other I-AAs playing non-I-AA competition the same week. Be specific with the opponent and date.

yomama
May 3rd, 2005, 06:03 PM
I took their comments as an insult to Georgetown, but maybe I misunderstood.

Georgetown lost badly last year to both Duquesne and Monmouth. Is it possible they want GU to schedule games where the Hoyas can be more competitive?

Lehigh Football Nation
May 3rd, 2005, 06:10 PM
I think one of the G-Town posters said that it was extremely hard to schedule home-and-home's before Harbin field got upgraded. Now that the field should be up to snuff this year, it looks to me like G'Town might be able to have some more options.

As to alternatives for G'Town to play on the 3 specific dates, that's pretty hard:

9/24 at Stony Brook
10/8 DUQUESNE
10/29 OPEN
11/12 DAVIDSON

because most teams are playing their division schedule by then. 2 examples that leapt to mind were Delaware St., and Towson.

Towson:
9/24 at N'Eastern
10/8 at URI
10/29 OPEN
11/12 RICHMOND

So G'Town could have dropped 1 mid-major and scheduled Towson instead 10/29.

Delaware St.:
9/24 COASTAL CAROLINA
10/8 B-CC
10/29 at SC St.
11/12 NORFOLK ST.

So they're a no-go.

However, I feel G'Town they dropped (say) Stony Brook on 9/24 and replaced it with Towson, they would probably be OK with 2 mid-majors, 2 Ivies and a full Patriot schedule. Furthermore, they'd have the same amount of home games. Same with Towson - drop that D-II Lock Haven off of there and add G'Town, you now have 11 Division I opponents and the same amount of home games.

I think the problem isn't that they're playing 2 mid-majors, it's that they're playing 3.

yomama
May 3rd, 2005, 06:16 PM
I didn't think anyone had a serious answer.

Same date to same date, please. At least keep the substitutions within the same month. No one will screw up their early schedule to accomodate Georgetown.

Hansel
May 3rd, 2005, 06:18 PM

Same date to same date, please. At least keep the substitutions within the same month. No one will screw up their early schedule to accomodate Georgetown.

Not in May, I am sure there were some teams looking earlier though

ccujacket
May 3rd, 2005, 06:22 PM
Nice cheap shot in there. :rolleyes:

Tribe4SF
May 3rd, 2005, 06:45 PM
Matt Dougherty missed one matchup between I-AA and I-A that could see an upset. W&M travels 9/1 to play a Marshall team that returns only 6 starters from last year, and was already down from the previous year. They also just brought in a new coach after spring practice. I think that game will be very competitive.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 3rd, 2005, 06:50 PM

OH.... SORRY..... :eek: :spank:

9/24 at Stony Brook
10/8 DUQUESNE
10/29 OPEN
11/12 DAVIDSON

Saturday, Oct. 8
Azusa Pacific at Sacramento State

November 12
Iona at New Hampshire
Austin Peay at Murray State

Unless we now change the rules so that Iona and Austin Peay are somehow better than G'Town? Or that they can't travel across the country?

DFW HOYA
May 3rd, 2005, 08:59 PM
Must be time for the annual SportsNetwork schedule article which rides Georgetown for teams like Duquesne and Davidson.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=/cfoot2/news/AGN3877979.htm

The fact that Mr. Dougherty misses (again) is that Georgetown's home field issues won't get it home games against a lot of teams, and it's not like UDel or W&M are beating down the Hoyas' door, either.

What has changed: getting two Ivies on the schedule, which hasn't happened since the Hoyas first took to the field in 1887 (or 1881, depending on who you ask.). Opening with Brown at home beats a bus trip any day.

yomama
May 3rd, 2005, 09:22 PM
Bravo. You're a budding columnist. OK, blogger.

And with the Sac-Georgetown game, you're supporting the airline industry. :D

yomama
May 3rd, 2005, 09:26 PM
I believe someone combined threads here...it's magic.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
May 3rd, 2005, 10:29 PM
The following is based on personal logic not facts obtained from anyone at UNH:

UMass is playing Army on November 12th and I'm guessing that they kept both UMass and UNH hanging about that date. UNH nails down all their league games keeping the 12th open for Army. At the same time they have Iona waiting in the wings in case the Army game doesn't materialize on the 12th. Army schedules UMass on the 12th and UNH for 9/3 (and later drops them altogether).

So, in theory then Georgetown could have played UNH on the 12th. I have no idea if they had any discussions. UNH wanted a home game, would Georgetown have come North? Would Georgetown wait as long as Iona did? Georgetown has recently played a home and home in women's hoop with UNH so the ADs aren't strangers, but who knows if a football game on the 12th was ever discussed.

JMHO, it would have been preferable than Iona. I truly believe that Iona is on our schedule because they technically are a I-AA team and they were willing to wait until the UNH-Army negotiations were completed. UNH doesn't have much of a history with Iona and AE mates Albany and Stony Brook as well as Central CT State would have made more sense out of the mid-major pool.

mainejeff
May 3rd, 2005, 11:34 PM
He totally missed Northeastern's non-conference schedule (Georgia Southern, at Youngstown, at Northwestern State). This schedule is definitely top 3 in I-AA.

TexasTerror
May 4th, 2005, 07:45 AM
Glad to see someone changed the name of my topic, must've been one of the admins. I agree with Dougherty on what he says about SHSU. It's a tough schedule and we're all hoping that the Kats play the Cougars of Houston tight. We shall see. Texas Tech will be ugly!