PDA

View Full Version : 1st round home games

WVAPPmountaineer
November 21st, 2009, 09:30 PM
Well the top 4 are for sure - duh - that would be Villanova, Montana, So Ill, Richmond - Now supposedly top bids get the other 4 ---- Your opinions -
1 - App State - I would say this is pretty much assured
2 - SCSU - they are in the top 5 in attendance and fell like they should have had one last year - good bet
3 and 4 - I don't know - you would think at least one from the Southland - SFA and/or McNeese - What about W&M?

Appattk
November 21st, 2009, 09:31 PM
Well the top 4 are for sure - duh - that would be Villanova, Montana, So Ill, Richmond - Now supposedly top bids get the other 4 ---- Your opinions -
2 - SCSU - they are in the top 5 in attendance and fell like they should have had one last year - good bet
3 and 4 - I don't know - you would think at least one from the Southland - SFA and/or McNeese - What about W&M?

McNeese & SDSU....

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2009/Internet/attendance/FCS_AVGATTENDANCE.pdf

ASU_Fanatic
November 21st, 2009, 09:35 PM
I'm hearing we may be playin William and Mary...that would suck.

Native
November 21st, 2009, 09:39 PM
McNeese & SDSU....

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2009/Internet/attendance/FCS_AVGATTENDANCE.pdf

Concur that McNeese and SDSU will get the other two home games in the west. Probably App State and SCSU in the east?

Prominentwon
November 21st, 2009, 09:39 PM
As a McNeese fan, I sure hope we end up with someone new from the East....

But it sure seems like everything points to hosting Eastern Washington again.

theasushow
November 21st, 2009, 09:41 PM
I'm hearing we may be playin William and Mary...that would suck.

curious as to who you might be hearing that from,,,,,although it is highly likely, and ****ty. no legitimate national title contenders should play each other in the first round,

seattlespider
November 21st, 2009, 09:42 PM
SCSt
ASU
McNeese St
SDakSt

art vandelay
November 21st, 2009, 09:42 PM
app state better watch out TBA is pretty good this year

Tribe4SF
November 21st, 2009, 09:45 PM
One thing has not changed, and that is that Orangeburg to Boone is 230 miles. Won't surprise me in the least if SCSU is in Boone again.

MacThor
November 21st, 2009, 09:46 PM
curious as to who you might be hearing that from,,,,,although it is highly likely, and ****ty. no legitimate national title contenders should play each other in the first round,

Like JMU @ ASU two years ago? There are more than 8 legitimate contenders this year. Some of them need to play each other.

MacThor
November 21st, 2009, 09:47 PM
One thing has not changed, and that is that Orangeburg to Boone is 230 miles. Won't surprise me in the least if SCSU is in Boone again.

App St was a seed last year, so they went looking for a regional matchup. They're not likely to be a seed this year.

Native
November 21st, 2009, 09:48 PM

After the top four seeds, it doesn't matter.

Neither App State nor W&M is a top four seed, so it would not be at all unfair for W&M to travel to Boone.doesn't matter.

theasushow
November 21st, 2009, 09:48 PM
Like JMU @ ASU two years ago? There are more than 8 legitimate contenders this year. Some of them need to play each other.

yeah like jmu-asu, or jmu-wofford, or jmu-youngstown state in 06....hmm i see a pattern.

Prominentwon
November 21st, 2009, 09:51 PM
no legitimate national title contenders should play each other in the first round,

So who in the playoff field isn't a national title contender?

MacThor
To be the best, you have to beat the best. There are no automatic wins in the first round.

Just curious who you think would be "fair" for App St. to host in the first round.

theasushow
After the top four seeds, it doesn't matter.

Neither App State nor W&M is a top four seed, so it would not be at all unfair for W&M to travel to Boone.doesn't matter.

true.....but im not so sure that it is fair for #5 to play #6 either. (and i realize the polls arent out yet but i doubt w&m will drop a lot after today's loss.)

Tribe4SF
November 21st, 2009, 09:54 PM
App St was a seed last year, so they went looking for a regional matchup. They're not likely to be a seed this year.

They look for regional matchups regardless of seed. When you have two teams that close together, they are a logical matchup. Same as EIU and So. Ill. would likely be matched regardless of seed. After you send Elon to Richmond, and Holy Cross to Villanova, the next logical pairing is SCSU and ASU.

MR. CHICKEN
November 21st, 2009, 09:56 PM
DOESN'T MATTERAH WHO PLAYS WHO...O'...WHAT'S FAIR...TA BE CHAMP......YA GOTTAH PLAY 'EM SOMETIME...xpopcornx...AWK!

Appattk
November 21st, 2009, 09:59 PM
They look for regional matchups regardless of seed. When you have two teams that close together, they are a logical matchup. Same as EIU and So. Ill. would likely be matched regardless of seed. After you send Elon to Richmond, and Holy Cross to Villanova, the next logical pairing is SCSU and ASU.

But here' the wrench in that idea... Bid $$$$.

SCSU will put up numbers that the NCAA can't ignore. William & Mary will come to Boone because it makes the most regional sense when you put in the money factors....

theasushow
November 21st, 2009, 09:59 PM
So who in the playoff field isn't a national title contender?

they are all contenders obviously. but i think everybody that follows fcs can distinguish who has a more legitimate chance of winning it all. the fact that the last 6 championship came from teams from the SOCON and CAA might indicate that the champion has a greater chance of coming from those conferences. and since nearly half the field comes will come from those 2 conferences, then that increases those odds. ofcourse there will be 10 teams trying, and may very well, prove otherwise.

WVAPPmountaineer
November 21st, 2009, 10:01 PM

Do you W&M fans hear anything about your school bidding to host a round 1 game? - how is your attendance? - do you think you will host a round 1 game? ----

seattlespider
November 21st, 2009, 10:03 PM
I'm guessing SCSU, after last year's...issue, will sufficiently up their bid. But I'd be happy to hear SCSU fans thoughts.

McTailGator
November 21st, 2009, 10:04 PM

McNeese will get the first round at home.

Good history of making money for the NCAA.

theasushow
November 21st, 2009, 10:05 PM
To be the best, you have to beat the best. There are no automatic wins in the first round.

Just curious who you think would be "fair" for App St. to host in the first round.

i am not necessarily making an ASU argument, as i said earlier JMU has gotten the shaft too as far as drawing a tough first round game. the only "fair" way to do it would be to seed the teams 1-16. but obviously the ncaa cares more about money than fairness. every other sport that has a playoff system, (nba, ncaa tournament, nhl, etc.) does your typical round robin, seeded tournament, i dont know why fcs cant as well.

Tribe4SF
November 21st, 2009, 10:08 PM
Do you W&M fans hear anything about your school bidding to host a round 1 game? - how is your attendance? - do you think you will host a round 1 game? ----

We bid for all three rounds, and are fairly aggressive, but they have not released what the bids were. We average 10,500 for home games. Advance sale playoff tickets are priced at $27.

My hunch is we go to Boone in the first round. As I said, I won't be surprised if SCSU goes to Boone, but I think it's more likely we do, and UNH flies to Orangeburg.

jackmd
November 21st, 2009, 10:10 PM
We have already bid and hosted women's NIT games, sold the place out. Our AD is the former associate AD at UNI where they have hosted plenty of playoff games. Our bid is at the max. We are top 20 in attendance. We are 2nd in a conference with a seeded team, I think we host the 2nd (or 3rd) BSC team in the post-season. See you in Brookings, SD next Saturday and hopefully the next week as well.

MacThor
November 21st, 2009, 10:11 PM

And the next logical pairing is W&M and UNH, which can't happen. W&M, UNH, ASU, SCSt. Tawk amongst yerselves.

DSUrocks07
November 21st, 2009, 10:50 PM
SC State SHOULD host a playoff game. But its a question of whether the NCAA will allow them too. We'll find out tomorrow.

tribe_pride
November 21st, 2009, 10:52 PM
SC State SHOULD host a playoff game. But its a question of whether the NCAA will allow them too. We'll find out tomorrow.

Why should they host a playoff game? Not saying you are wrong, but trying to figure out your reasoning.

SCSUDog4Life
November 21st, 2009, 11:17 PM
Why should they host a playoff game? Not saying you are wrong, but trying to figure out your reasoning.

Because they have the 4th best attendance in FCS football behind Montana, App State, and ODU....Of those teams mentioned before, two of them will be hosting home games...why is it such a stretch to think that SCSU won't host a home game as well???

Furthermore, SCSU is 10-1 with their only loss coming to FBS South Carolina who they trailed 10-7 at halftime, in addition to their valiant performance against App State in the 2008 FCS playoffs.

We'll get a home game...we'd love to host Elon, but if it's New Hampshire, then so be it.

tribe_pride
November 21st, 2009, 11:25 PM
Because they have the 4th best attendance in FCS football behind Montana, App State, and ODU....Of those teams mentioned before, two of them will be hosting home games...why is it such a stretch to think that SCSU won't host a home game as well???

Furthermore, SCSU is 10-1 with their only loss coming to FBS South Carolina who they trailed 10-7 at halftime, in addition to their valiant performance against App State in the 2008 FCS playoffs.

We'll get a home game...we'd love to host Elon, but if it's New Hampshire, then so be it.

I have no problem with SC St. hosting which is why I said that I wasn't saying that he was wrong. I was trying to figure out if he meant they should host for attendance reasons or because the team was so good (even though we all know except for top 4 seeds, that doesn't make a difference).

Don't be so defensive. I purposefully put, "Not saying you are wrong, but trying to figure out your reasoning" so that I wouldn't get a response like the end of your first paragraph.

If I were to take a guess, Elon is going to Richmond. Either the Tribe or SC St. is probably going to ASU. My guess is that it will be the Tribe because of attendance and regionalization reasons.

GreatAppSt
November 22nd, 2009, 12:28 AM

Who gives a hoot bring 'em all on.xnodx

Native
November 22nd, 2009, 12:35 AM
i am not necessarily making an ASU argument, as i said earlier JMU has gotten the shaft too as far as drawing a tough first round game. the only "fair" way to do it would be to seed the teams 1-16. but obviously the ncaa cares more about money than fairness. every other sport that has a playoff system, (nba, ncaa tournament, nhl, etc.) does your typical round robin, seeded tournament, i dont know why fcs cant as well.

It would not be fair to burden tuition-paying students and taxpayers with money-losing matchups, either, unless you are willing to write the check yourself.

ThompsonThe
November 22nd, 2009, 01:44 AM
I would think that there is a good chance that S.C. State gets a home game in the first round.
Just can't figure out who McNeese will play unless it is Eastern Washington, but they could go to the Jackrabbits.

ASU_MBA
November 22nd, 2009, 11:32 AM

And where would you send William and Mary? Or do you think they get a home game....

I still think SCSU hosts a game over W&M ($$$) and that means W&M will be sent to The Rock IMO

Attendance will be low for the T-day holiday and there is no way W&M beats out SCSU on $$

bigappfan10
November 22nd, 2009, 11:49 AM
Thanksgiving games are bad everywhere I believe. Even App (who usually averages 25k+) suffers a lot in attendance on this date every year as well. Students are gone and lots of alumni just have other plans.

MacThor
November 22nd, 2009, 12:58 PM
Tribe4SF, you seem to reeeeeally not want W&M to travel to Boone. Why is that? I think you match up very well.

ElonAlum
November 22nd, 2009, 01:59 PM
Id love to have Elon play Richmond in Richmond! Id only be an hour away and could definitely make that game!

And my pops went to Richmond so he would love to go too.