PDA

View Full Version : McNeese escapes Central Arkansas

JohnStOnge
November 21st, 2009, 08:55 PM
Ok. 21-17. Central Arkansas outplayed McNeese but the Cowboys end up on top. Central Arkansas ends the season 5-6 but with no loss by more than 5 points and that one was at Hawaii. Very frustrating season for the Bears but I'm glad McNeese won that one.

Still, McNeese really needs to play better on defense if it wants any shot at all in the playoffs.

msupokes1
November 21st, 2009, 09:08 PM
UcA ran 89 plays for 330. I would say the defense played pretty good tonight. Offense looked off and only had 46 plays for 250 yards. I was really impressed with our secondary but we are really small on the D-line.

Luap57
November 21st, 2009, 09:10 PM
Just finished watching the game on TV, Central Arkansas played tough. I'm glad MSU won one of those difficult games that good teams find a way to win. MSU should finished the season ranked #7 and a playoff chance. Go Pokes!

JohnStOnge
November 21st, 2009, 09:20 PM
UcA ran 89 plays for 330. I would say the defense played pretty good tonight. Offense looked off and only had 46 plays for 250 yards. I was really impressed with our secondary but we are really small on the D-line.

McNeese had serious problems stopping their running game. They had a back go for 181 yards. They also had a very high third down coversion percentage. I don't have it but it was high.

The big thing is that, for the first time all year, McNeese's offense was controlled. The Cowboys had only 14 first downs and 250 total yards. There are times when you need good defense. I guess McNeese got relatively good defense when you look at the bottom line of 17 points but they were very fortunate. They really got gashed by UCA's running game. And they were really bad in third down situations.

UCA dropped some passes and had their punter drop a snap. McNeese was very fortunate. They are going to need to play a whole heck of a lot better next week to keep their season alive.

BEAR
November 21st, 2009, 09:37 PM
Watched the game on TV..what can I say..yet another game......nevermind.

Congrats McNeese..great escape! I didn't give my Bears much of a chance and they decided to show up for the first time in forever. It also showed me that our QB is not that good. I'm glad he's a senior. He might be a good kid as a person, but he can't get it done when he needs to. (Yeah, I'm missing those NB days! LOL) xlolx

Quick question for all the rules guys: After the Cowboys scored on the 60+ yard run, the play was called back with a flag. The refs moved back to the original spot then moments later called it a TD. What happened there? The TV didn't show all the details someone at the game might have seen so I was curious to find out.

UCA has 1 more game left...against North Dakota at Estes Stadium..to hopefully finish 6-6 on the year.

Great game Cowboys..we'll get you next year! xlolx

sharkeycox
November 21st, 2009, 09:40 PM
McNeese had serious problems stopping their running game. They had a back go for 181 yards. They also had a very high third down coversion percentage. I don't have it but it was high.

The big thing is that, for the first time all year, McNeese's offense was controlled. The Cowboys had only 14 first downs and 250 total yards. There are times when you need good defense. I guess McNeese got relatively good defense when you look at the bottom line of 17 points but they were very fortunate. They really got gashed by UCA's running game. And they were really bad in third down situations.

UCA dropped some passes and had their punter drop a snap. McNeese was very fortunate. They are going to need to play a whole heck of a lot better next week to keep their season alive.

John,

The defense played pretty well. Their back, Grimes, is the real deal. He carried 39 times for 181 yards. The problem was our offense. We could not sustain a drive. If it were not for a bad punt snap and a big play with the end around we would have been beaten.

Our defense is playing well enough, it is the offense that let us down toninght.

Prominentwon
November 21st, 2009, 09:42 PM
Bottom line is the defense stood when it mattered. At the end of the day, you throw the stats out and look at the bottom line...the W.

I was proud of the way the defense stood up when it needed to and they showed they were able to put the game on their shoulders. They even got SOME pressure on the QB tonight, which was a good sign.

Now on to the playoffs.

JohnStOnge
November 21st, 2009, 09:45 PM
Quick question for all the rules guys: After the Cowboys scored on the 60+ yard run, the play was called back with a flag. The refs moved back to the original spot then moments later called it a TD. What happened there? The TV didn't show all the details someone at the game might have seen so I was curious to find out.

They originally called holding then waved off the flag. I've never seen that before. I'm glad it happened but I've never seen it before.

Prominentwon
November 21st, 2009, 09:47 PM

They called it on #81, Chris Royal.

I rewound and it was no where near a block in the back. I guess someone else saw that. I really don't even know what they were looking at to be honest. That's not me being biased either. xlolx What surprised me the most was Bernardo Henry just FLYING by even the Safety that had an angle on him. I never really knew he was that fast.

JohnStOnge
November 21st, 2009, 09:49 PM
Bottom line is the defense stood when it mattered. At the end of the day, you throw the stats out and look at the bottom line...the W.

I was proud of the way the defense stood up when it needed to and they showed they were able to put the game on their shoulders. They even got SOME pressure on the QB tonight, which was a good sign.

Now on to the playoffs.

All I'm saying is that, though they won and I'm glad they did, they really got gashed by UCA's running game. And they got a LOT of breaks tonight. It was a win that I'm sure got them into the playoffs but their helplessness against UCA's running game is not a good sign.

Having said that, I think it's amazing that UCA finished with a losing record. I'm glad I'm not a UCA fan because it's got to be tough to lose 6 games without ever losing by more than 5 points. That was, I think, by far the best team physically McNeese has played this year and it's amazing to me that they finished with the record they did.

Native
November 21st, 2009, 09:50 PM
Congrats to the Cowboys!

I suspect that McNeese will be hosting either Weber or Eastern Washington for the first round.

Where the hell is McNeese?!??

BEAR
November 21st, 2009, 09:51 PM
They called it on #81, Chris Royal.

I rewound and it was no where near a block in the back. I guess someone else saw that. I really don't even know what they were looking at to be honest. That's not me being biased either. xlolx What surprised me the most was Bernardo Henry just FLYING by even the Safety that had an angle on him. I never really knew he was that fast.

On the TV replay I couldn't see anything but a blur running down the sideline to score a TD xlolxxlolx I didn't see any holds on the replay either. Guess that just shows our officiating in this league is as horrible today as it was last year...xnodxxlolx

Prominentwon
November 21st, 2009, 09:53 PM
Congrats to the Cowboys!

I suspect that McNeese will be hosting either Weber or Eastern Washington for the first round.

Where the hell is McNeese?!??

Lake Charles in SW Louisiana.

About 30 miles from the Gulf of Mexico and 20 minutes from Texas.

BEAR
November 21st, 2009, 09:53 PM
UCA has one more game against North Dakota at Estes next Saturday..(thought I posted that xeyebrowx )

It was earned by playing Hawaii...xcoolx

Native
November 21st, 2009, 09:54 PM
Lake Charles in SW Louisiana.

About 30 miles from the Gulf of Mexico and 20 minutes from Texas.

So Houston would be the nearest airport?

McNeeserocket
November 21st, 2009, 10:00 PM

We have an airport in Lake Charles. Continental and American both service Lake Charles.

MSU_77
November 21st, 2009, 10:03 PM

Lake Charles has an airport (LCH). You can get a roundtrip from the east coast from about $288. I prefer flying into New Orleans because there are more airline options, and it's an easier drive than from Houston.

sharkeycox
November 21st, 2009, 10:08 PM
They originally called holding then waved off the flag. I've never seen that before. I'm glad it happened but I've never seen it before.

Yeah, that was the 2nd time the refs waved off a flag. I have been watching football for over 50 years and I have NEVER seen the refs take a touchdown away, then give it back! If I had been Clint Conque, I think I would have had a stroke!

Strange calls tonight. UCA got a way with some holds, and we got away with a pass interference late in the game.xeekx

McNeese75
November 21st, 2009, 10:37 PM

I have not checked the stats but I have to believe most of the problems stopping Grimes was in the first half. He did get some in the second half but the D did a better job stopping the run.

Cowboys somewhat controlled their own offense with untimely penalties. There were several nice runs by Penland, DF, etc that were called back

I agree the UCA receivers did a horrible job in the first half of catching the ball but what can we do about that. I thought the secondary was exceptional in the fourth quarter and I never saw anything that looked like pass interference but I was at the game and not watching the replay on TV.

I also concur the Cowboys are going to have to take care of business on offense next week to advance past round 1. The Bear defense was probably the best the Pokes faced this year.

UCA lost 6 games by less than 5 points this year. Sounds somewhat like the year we had last year but it happens. You have to be able to finish.

JohnStOnge
November 21st, 2009, 10:40 PM
The Bear defense was probably the best the Pokes faced this year..

I enthusiastically agree with that statement except I'd leave the "probably" out.

McNeese75
November 21st, 2009, 10:55 PM
I enthusiastically agree with that statement except I'd leave the "probably" out.

xlolx OK consider it removed. With 8 Sr lettermen back including a slew of all conference players and a Buchanan candidate at DE they should be stout. They are missing Nathan Brown this year and that was a big hole to try and fill (just like we will probably face next year)

Purple Pride
November 21st, 2009, 11:22 PM
xlolx OK consider it removed. With 8 Sr lettermen back including a slew of all conference players and a Buchanan candidate at DE they should be stout. They are missing Nathan Brown this year and that was a big hole to try and fill (just like we will probably face next year)Nathan Brown was one person.

There are 23 seniors on this squad.

McNeese75
November 21st, 2009, 11:39 PM
Nathan Brown was one person.

There are 23 seniors on this squad.

Nathan Brown was the difference maker between last year and this years Bear team. Last year you win those close games that have been falling in the L column this year.

cbuck
November 21st, 2009, 11:41 PM
They originally called holding then waved off the flag. I've never seen that before. I'm glad it happened but I've never seen it before.umm, the exact same thing happened in the same game about 4 minutes earlier. The refs called a block in the back on UCA on their long run that got the Bears into position to score to cut the lead to 14 to 10.

The refs huddled and waved off the flag because the foul occurred in an area where that's not a foul.

The same exact call happened on McNeese's next play, block in the back called, the refs huddled and waved off the flag.