PDA

View Full Version : Bursting Bubbles and Planting Seeds: This week's big games discussion

seattlespider
November 21st, 2009, 03:55 PM
Games of note today (stolen from 4th and What); teams that won or are winning in bold:

12:00 - Maine @ UNH (UNH wins and secures a spot that wasn't really in doubt, but where do they get sent? Do they get sent anywhere).

12:00 - W&M @ Richmond (Classic game, which UR wins. What seed do they get?)

12:30 - Lafayette @ Lehigh (Lafayette done.)

13:00 - EKU @ Jack St (EIU gets it with EKU loss. Trip to SIU?)

13:00 - Liberty @ Stony Brook (Liberty is done)

13:00 - UNI @ Illinois St (UNI hanging on by the barest of threads now)

14:00 - Cal Poly @ Weber St (Weber St in now? EWU loss cinches it, but I think they're in regardless)

14:00 - SIU @ SE Missouri St (#1 seed?)

14:05 - Montana @ Montana St - (Montana scoping top two seed; will lack of FBS win/game hold them back? MSU is done, I think.)

14:05 - SD State @ Western Ill - (SD State locks up a playoff spot; will they host?)

15:00 - Elon @ Samford - (Elon locks up playoff bid; where will they go?)

15:00 - SF Austin @ NW St - (SFA clinches)

15:30 - Delaware @ Villanova - (Nova looking good, unfortunately).

15:30 - WCU @ App St - (Chance for seed appears gone, but who knows...)

17:00 - EWU @ NAU - (EWU looking good for a slot with a win)

19:00 - UCA @ McNeese - (McNeese looking good as well for a slot with a win, and now maybe either way.)

Discuss these games, and how they'll affect selection Sunday.

seattlespider
November 21st, 2009, 04:06 PM
Given the results so far, it looks to me like:

#1 Southern Illinios
#2 Montana
#3 Villanova
#4 Richmond

Bubbles Burst

Liberty
UNI*
Lafayette
Montana St

*Pending a Eastern Washington win.

Native
November 21st, 2009, 05:16 PM
UNI was the key loss. Liberty never really had a strong case, but was close enough until today's loss at Stony Brook to remain in the discussion. Lafayette is completely out after losing today.

With only a few minutes left in the first half, Eastern Washington just logged a pick six to go up 28-10 over Northern Arizona.

With Weber making a second consecutive strong playoff statement today by smashing Cal Poly 47-14, and if EWU maintains the lead, it looks like three Big Sky teams might get in to the post season!

seattlespider
November 21st, 2009, 05:22 PM
UNI was the key loss. Liberty never really had a strong case, but was close enough until today's loss at Stony Brook to remain in the discussion. Lafayette is completely out after losing today.

With only a few minutes left in the first half, Eastern Washington just logged a pick six to go up 28-10 over Northern Arizona.

With Weber making a second consecutive strong playoff statement today by smashing Cal Poly 47-14, and if EWU maintains the lead, it looks like three Big Sky teams get in to the post season!

EWU is looking good, but that is one high scoring game, so we'll wait and see. McNeese State I still think is in regardless; who has an 8-3 record who can match theirs (assuming they were to lose)?

asknoquarter21
November 21st, 2009, 05:27 PM
Hard to argue SIU, Montana, Villanova, Richmond as seeds.

Only other possibility is if ASU sneaks in but I think they are the #5 seed if you will and they pay Richmond back this year.

seattlespider
November 21st, 2009, 05:32 PM
Hard to argue SIU, Montana, Villanova, Richmond as seeds.

Only other possibility is if ASU sneaks in but I think they are the #5 seed if you will and they pay Richmond back this year.

I'm a little squishy about the order of the seeds, but I believe those are the four.

paul1978
November 21st, 2009, 05:45 PM
Given the results so far, it looks to me like:

#1 Southern Illinios
#2 Montana
#3 Villanova
#4 Richmond

Bubbles Burst

Liberty
UNI*
Lafayette
Montana St

*Pending a Eastern Washington win.

Montana St is out as they do not have the requried 7 wins agains Div I. I'd replace them with Weber St. Ohterwise, looks good.

Pitz
November 21st, 2009, 05:47 PM
With an EWU win, the field of 16 looks like a no-doubter.

The only real question is the seeding of teams #1-3. I think Richmond is comfortably in the #4 spot.

seattlespider
November 21st, 2009, 05:55 PM

The only real question is the seeding of teams #1-3. I think Richmond is comfortably in the #4 spot.

I agree. As far as the top 3 seeds, it's tough to say. GPI has Nova at #1 by a bit. They clearly have the best resume of Nova/SIU/Montana. I wouldn't be shocked to see them get the #1 seed.

Poker Alan
November 21st, 2009, 05:59 PM
I agree. As far as the top 3 seeds, it's tough to say. GPI has Nova at #1 by a bit. They clearly have the best resume of Nova/SIU/Montana. I wouldn't be shocked to see them get the #1 seed.

All three really have a legitimate case to be the #1 seed, and the team with the #3 seed is getting kinda screwed, unfortunately.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 21st, 2009, 05:59 PM

xnodx

Native
November 21st, 2009, 06:00 PM
EWU is looking good, but that is one high scoring game, so we'll wait and see. McNeese State I still think is in regardless; who has an 8-3 record who can match theirs (assuming they were to lose)?

I think McNeese should get in even if they lose, because they will have the better resume compared to either FAMU or Colgate.

...but if UCA prevails tonight, then the Cowboys will have finished 7-3 in DI contests, not 8-3. Henderson State does not count.

LacesOut
November 21st, 2009, 06:05 PM
Some crazy losses today!

How do some teams not show up in these final situations!!??

Congrats to the the teams that won.