PDA

View Full Version : Any scenario whereby HC gets a home playoff game?

Sader87
November 19th, 2009, 10:07 PM
With a win over Bucknell they'd be 10-1, Fitton Field seats 23,500, Boston media market, Randolph POY candidate...yada, yada, yada. Just curious on thoughts/opinions.

ToTheLeft
November 19th, 2009, 10:10 PM
I think it's far too easy to send them to a seeded Nova...

However, if Nova falls out of the seeds, and HC puts in a bid, I don't see why not. The almighty dollar rules the NCAA, so if enough money is out there, they'll get what they pay for.

WrenFGun
November 19th, 2009, 10:14 PM
HC's a regional partner for both UNH and Villanova. The only way HC won't go to 'Nova is if, somehow, Lafayette gets in the tournament and gets sent to 'Nova.

Then it's possible that Holy Cross could outbid UNH for a home game. Seems unlikely to me, though.

Head Cat
November 19th, 2009, 10:32 PM
I think it is almost certain that Holy Cross gets paired with New Hampshire. The schools are like 75 miles away. If Holy Cross puts in any kind of bid at all, it should beat out UNH for the home game. Cowell Stadium is such a dump that it would be hard for UNH not to be sent on the road.

UNH Fanboi
November 19th, 2009, 11:36 PM
I think it is almost certain that Holy Cross gets paired with New Hampshire. The schools are like 75 miles away. If Holy Cross puts in any kind of bid at all, it should beat out UNH for the home game. Cowell Stadium is such a dump that it would be hard for UNH not to be sent on the road.

The FCS manual says that the seeded teams are matched with opponents based on geographic proximity before the other matchups are set. Holy Cross is by far the closest non-CAA team to Villanova, so if Villanova gets a seed, they should face Holy Cross if the committee listens to its own criteria.

"All pairings will be made by the Division I football championship committee. The
following principles are applied when pairing teams:
1. The teams awarded the top four seeds are placed in the appropriate positions in the
bracket (Nos. 1 and 4 in the upper half, and Nos. 2 and 3 in the lower half), and will
be paired with teams that are in closest geographic proximity;
2. The remaining teams will be paired according to geographic proximity and placed in
the bracket according to geographic proximity of the four pairings previously placed
in the bracket.
3. Teams from the same conference will not be paired for first-round games;
4. Once the first-round pairings have been determined, there will be no adjustments to
the bracket."

http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/champ_handbooks/football/2009/09_1AA_Football.pdf

th0m
November 20th, 2009, 06:13 AM
Definitely, if their bid is good enough.

Bogus Megapardus
November 20th, 2009, 06:28 AM
PLers would love to see UNH vs. Holy Cross (in Worcester) and Lafayette vs. Villanova.

appmaj
November 20th, 2009, 06:30 AM
No

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 20th, 2009, 06:40 AM
If Nova is a seed, no. HC will be at Nova.

If the hens can pull an upset this weekend and Nova falls out of the seed (which may not happen even with a loss) then perhaps yes. UNH may be matched up with HC. If HC puts in the right bid (they should be able to out bid UNH, but will they?) UNH travels to HC.

GO HENS!!!!!

bluehenbillk
November 20th, 2009, 06:58 AM
HC Home Game? In related news the Pope announced this morning his conversion to Judiaism.

WrenFGun
November 20th, 2009, 07:18 AM
Villanova could lose to Delaware and they'd still find a way to send UNH to UNI.

Bogus Megapardus
November 20th, 2009, 07:24 AM
No

Of course there is, and it's more likely than not that 10-1 HC plays at home.

Bogus Megapardus
November 20th, 2009, 07:25 AM
HC Home Game? In related news the Pope announced this morning his conversion to Judiaism.

They're much, much smarter and they know these things. HC will play at home.

Franks Tanks
November 20th, 2009, 07:30 AM
HC's a regional partner for both UNH and Villanova. The only way HC won't go to 'Nova is if, somehow, Lafayette gets in the tournament and gets sent to 'Nova.

Then it's possible that Holy Cross could outbid UNH for a home game. Seems unlikely to me, though.

If it is between Holy Cross and UNH my money is on HC.

They have a bigger stadium and attendance that is at least as good as UNH. Also it would be their 1st playoff game in 26 years so interest will be high.

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 20th, 2009, 07:30 AM
Villanova could lose to Delaware and they'd still find a way to send UNH to UNI.

Now cut that out

appmaj
November 20th, 2009, 07:32 AM
Of course there is, and it's more likely than not that 10-1 HC plays at home.

Im guessing here; it really depends on who is IN and who is OUT.

Bogus Megapardus
November 20th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Im guessing here; it really depends on who is IN and who is OUT.

Naturally. As many as five spots are still up in the air, depending on how you look at it. But if HC dominates in its final game (against pedestrian PLer Bucknell, which it should) and all the teams that are favored do in fact win, then HC stands in as good a position as any, unless they are directed to a seeded Villanova. If HC is paired with an unseeded UNH, you almost get the sense that UNH would rather play in nearby Worcester, so as not to bring attention to its rather Spartan facilities.

Pard4Life
November 20th, 2009, 09:13 AM
If a 9-2 Lehigh team in 2004 can get a home game against James Madison, there is no reason why a 10-1 HC can get a home game against UNH. Aren't UNH's facilities worse than 04 JMU?

Bogus Megapardus
November 20th, 2009, 09:15 AM
If a 9-2 Lehigh team in 2004 can get a home game against James Madison, there is no reason why a 10-1 HC can get a home game against UNH. Aren't UNH's facilities worse than 04 JMU?

That was an at-large Lehigh team, in fact. HC is the conference champion.

Fear the Bird
November 20th, 2009, 09:19 AM

Record and resume have absolutely nothing to do with this - I feel like some people grasp that concept and others don't. Unless your argument is that a 10-1 Holy Cross team deserves a seed, then it is a moot point. They could be 11-0 with all 40 point wins but if they don't get a seed, it's entirely up to who does get seeded, and then a bid. Resume plays zero part in this conversation.

Sader87
November 20th, 2009, 09:43 AM
According to this article HC has submitted bids for the 1st and 2nd rounds of the playoffs:

http://www.telegram.com/article/20091120/COLUMN11/911200476/1009/SPORTS

Pitz
November 20th, 2009, 10:01 AM
If Villanova gets upset on Saturday (and subsequently receives no seed), I think it's very possible for Holy Cross to host UNH.

GannonFan
November 20th, 2009, 10:05 AM
According to this article HC has submitted bids for the 1st and 2nd rounds of the playoffs:

http://www.telegram.com/article/20091120/COLUMN11/911200476/1009/SPORTS

Everybody submits bids, mainly, except those with no interest whatsoever in hosting.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 20th, 2009, 10:07 AM
I continue to believe that Holy Cross isn't in a bad spot to get at least one home game.

They need to beat Bucknell, and UNH has to lose to Maine. I think that would cement it - that, of course, and assuming they outbid UNH. The question becomes if UNH beats Maine, does that change anything? I think it might.

I don't think Villanova factors into it at all. No way Villanova is getting sent to Holy Cross, and even with a loss this weekend I think at least one home game is a lock.

GannonFan
November 20th, 2009, 10:10 AM

That was an at-large Lehigh team, in fact. HC is the conference champion.

Record and resume have absolutely nothing to do with this - I feel like some people grasp that concept and others don't. Unless your argument is that a 10-1 Holy Cross team deserves a seed, then it is a moot point. They could be 11-0 with all 40 point wins but if they don't get a seed, it's entirely up to who does get seeded, and then a bid. Resume plays zero part in this conversation.

Keep in mind, the bid from JMU was probably pretty low and hence why they lost the bid to Lehigh. The actual facilities matter little - it's how many people you can put in the seats and how much money you are willing to guarantee the NCAA (over and above the minimum bid). And of course, how likely it is that you can afford what you say. JMU was probably naive to the money needed in '04 and they also have a huge % of their attendance that comes from students (huge compared to other schools) - for a first round game with students away that becomes a problem.

Bird is right, resume has no bearing on this whatsoever. Being a conference champion means squat unless you are one of the 4 seeds. If you aren't, then it all comes down to the bid and the $$ involved.

Bogus Megapardus
November 20th, 2009, 10:14 AM
"When determining host sites for playoff games when both teams are unseeded, the committee decides the location based on quality of facility, revenue potential plus estimated net receipts, attendance history and potential, team’s performance (e.g., conference place finish, head-to-head results and number of Division I opponents), student-athlete well-being (travel, missed class time, etc.), and previous crowd-control measures and crowd behavior of the prospective host institution."

Lehigh Football Nation
November 20th, 2009, 10:18 AM
"When determining host sites for playoff games when both teams are unseeded, the committee decides the location based on quality of facility, revenue potential plus estimated net receipts, attendance history and potential, team’s performance (e.g., conference place finish, head-to-head results and number of Division I opponents), student-athlete well-being (travel, missed class time, etc.), and previous crowd-control measures and crowd behavior of the prospective host institution."

Quality of facility HC > UNH

Revenue Potential HC > UNH

Attendance History UNH (7,724 avg) > HC (7,552 avg) (but only a very, very slight margin)

Team's performance HC (1st place Patriot, 11 D-I opponents) > UNH (11 D-I opponents, 4th place CAA finish, at least 2 conference losses)

Bid: ? (But if HC put in a competitive bid, it's unlikely UNH actively outbid them)

Looks pretty clear cut to me. xreadx

GannonFan
November 20th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Quality of facility HC > UNH

Revenue Potential HC > UNH

Attendance History UNH (7,724 avg) > HC (7,552 avg) (but only a very, very slight margin)

Team's performance HC (1st place Patriot, 11 D-I opponents) > UNH (11 D-I opponents, 4th place CAA finish, at least 2 conference losses)

Bid: ? (But if HC put in a competitive bid, it's unlikely UNH actively outbid them)

Looks pretty clear cut to me. xreadx

Assuming they get paired up with UNH. xwhistlex

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 20th, 2009, 10:39 AM
If Villanova is a seed HC goes there.

If HC is paired with UNH it all comes down to $$$$$$.
HC has the stadium to outbid UNH. Will they do it?

LUHawker
November 20th, 2009, 10:40 AM

$$ were certainly a factor, but I think that was the start of JMU's run of really strong teams and playoff appearances, whereas at that time, Lehigh had been a regular in the playoffs and had already hosted a home game in 2001.

I don't think that comparison is particularly relevant because of those factors. Also, consider where both schools are located and also factor in the T-day weekend. JMU is located very remotely and with no students around for that weekend, there aren't large population centers to draw from. Compare that with the Lehigh Valley's proximity to NY/NJ and Philly and there are better chances to draw crowds in Pa.

UNHWILDCATS05
November 20th, 2009, 10:42 AM
I continue to believe that Holy Cross isn't in a bad spot to get at least one home game.

They need to beat Bucknell, and UNH has to lose to Maine. I think that would cement it - that, of course, and assuming they outbid UNH. The question becomes if UNH beats Maine, does that change anything? I think it might.

I don't think Villanova factors into it at all. No way Villanova is getting sent to Holy Cross, and even with a loss this weekend I think at least one home game is a lock.

What does that have to do with this at all?

RationalGriz
November 20th, 2009, 10:44 AM
I believe that the process goes this way:
1. Determine 8 at large teams to match with AQ.
2. Determine the 4 seeds.
3. Determine the matchups for the seeds by using geographic proximity.
4. Determine the other 4 matchups using geographic proximity.
5. Determine which team will host the 4 games pairing non-seeds. (This is when bids are opened..which means that even if your team submits one of the 4 highest bids of the nonseed games, if you are matched up with a larger bid you are in trouble, meaning that a large bid is not a for sure thing.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 20th, 2009, 10:46 AM
It just makes the "performance" part of the equation tip the scales so much more towards HC. Three conference losses IMO would be a killer - and would make them the undisputed 4th place finisher.

I think the discussion is centering around UNH's eventual finish in the CAA. They could finish as a three-way tie for 2nd (with a win and a Nova loss), a tie for 2nd (with a win and a Nova win), or as low as undisputed 4th (with three conference losses).

Lehigh Football Nation
November 20th, 2009, 10:49 AM
5. Determine which team will host the 4 games pairing non-seeds. (This is when bids are opened..which means that even if your team submits one of the 4 highest bids of the nonseed games, if you are matched up with a larger bid you are in trouble, meaning that a large bid is not a for sure thing.

I don't think that's the whole story, because some teams are guaranteed flights. For example, if Stephen F. Austin goes on the road (likely), they'll have to fly, whether they play at Montana, Villanova or anywhere. It doesn't make sense to say they're best suited to play App State since it's a 3 hour flight to NC and a 4 hour flight to Philadelphia or a 5 hour flight to Montana.

UNH Fanboi
November 20th, 2009, 10:50 AM

True, but I can guarantee the committee knows which teams have good attendance and tend to bid high, and will find a way not to match two high-bidding teams in the first round if possible.

19Duke97
November 20th, 2009, 11:00 AM

This is precisely why many think all 16 teams should be seeded and the games played at the higher ranking seed. Let the NCAA set the price (instead of bid) for hosting, and allow schools to opt out if they cannot/do not want to pay. This process reeks of old school money. Level the playing field, remove the secrecy, and move on I say.

Pard4Life
November 20th, 2009, 11:16 AM

Maybe you don't grasp the concept that resume and record does play a role, in addition to the bid, on who gets a home game. Read the rules. It would be easier to have UNH play at HC and a team come to Villanova, then it would be for UNH and HC to travel somewhere. Lafayette being sent to App in 2005 twists the geographic seeding arguement anyway. Furthermore, the seeding criteria are "principles," not binding or enforcable.

Pard4Life
November 20th, 2009, 11:24 AM
$$ were certainly a factor, but I think that was the start of JMU's run of really strong teams and playoff appearances, whereas at that time, Lehigh had been a regular in the playoffs and had already hosted a home game in 2001.

I don't think that comparison is particularly relevant because of those factors. Also, consider where both schools are located and also factor in the T-day weekend. JMU is located very remotely and with no students around for that weekend, there aren't large population centers to draw from. Compare that with the Lehigh Valley's proximity to NY/NJ and Philly and there are better chances to draw crowds in Pa.

Based on what you say though, isn't the comparison relevant? Isn't UNH fairly isolated? It certainly is not in as heavily a populated area as Worcester. Plus, I'd bet the area (greater Boston) is home to the greatest concentration of UNH fans.

Has UNH gotten a home game unseeded before? Can someone check?

Fear the Bird
November 20th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Maybe you don't grasp the concept that resume and record does play a role, in addition to the bid, on who gets a home game. Read the rules. It would be easier to have UNH play at HC and a team come to Villanova, then it would be for UNH and HC to travel somewhere. Lafayette being sent to App in 2005 twists the geographic seeding arguement anyway. Furthermore, the seeding criteria are "principles," not binding or enforcable.

Hey man, whatever floats your boat. Resume and record play no role in this equation unless you are a top 4 seed. NONE. So if somebody wants to make the case for HC being a top 4 seed let's hear it.

There are obviously examples of geography not seeming to play a part but that is only b/c if you don't have the perfect number of teams in each "region" somebody has to travel.

MacThor
November 20th, 2009, 11:37 AM
There are obviously examples of geography not seeming to play a part but that is only b/c if you don't have the perfect number of teams in each "region" somebody has to travel.

And this year, barring some upsets, we do have the perfect number of teams in each region. Anything can happen on rivalry weekend, though.

In short, HC should consider Villanova-Delaware their game of the week. If Villanova wins and Lafayette doesn't back in, no home game for HC.

UNH Fanboi
November 20th, 2009, 11:43 AM
I think resume does play a role somewhat. I think the committee would rather avoid putting the #1 team against the #5 team if they can do it without affecting geography and money too much.

MacThor
November 20th, 2009, 11:50 AM
I think resume does play a role somewhat. I think the committee would rather avoid putting the #1 team against the #5 team if they can do it without affecting geography and money too much.

Yeah, so they are not going to send App St. to Villanova. :)

However, if the eight "eastern" teams hold, some crazy-good team will be traveling to Boone.

Villanova Holy Cross
Richmond SC St
William & Mary Elon
UNH Appalachian St.

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 20th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Based on what you say though, isn't the comparison relevant? Isn't UNH fairly isolated? It certainly is not in as heavily a populated area as Worcester. Plus, I'd bet the area (greater Boston) is home to the greatest concentration of UNH fans.

no

Jackman
November 20th, 2009, 11:55 AM

I believe when we had this discussion before it was determined that the only home playoff game UNH has had was when they were seeded 3rd.

Not that I think this matters, but for the record UNH is 1.3 hours from Boston while the Cross is 1 hour away. Nowhere in southern New England could be described as "isolated". The decision will be made based on who bid more money for the game and whether it isn't more expedient to send both teams somewhere else instead.

WrenFGun
November 20th, 2009, 11:57 AM
It's fairly simple. UNH has no chance for a home game unless they outbid HC (unlikely) and Delaware/Nova ends in favor of UD.

What people don't understand is that it is an ABSOLUTE lock that HC goes to 'Nova if 'Nova is a seed. They partner the seeds first, and 'Nova is a regional partner with HC.

UNH Fanboi
November 20th, 2009, 12:01 PM
no

Apparently UNH had a home game against App. St. in 1994 when they were both unseeded:

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/brackets.html

I have no idea how they determined home field advantage back then.

RationalGriz
November 20th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Yeah, so they are not going to send App St. to Villanova. :)

However, if the eight "eastern" teams hold, some crazy-good team will be traveling to Boone.

Villanova Holy Cross
Richmond SC St
William & Mary Elon
UNH Appalachian St.

In this example the geographic proximity works for the first 3 matchups, but once you have teams on planes they could go anywhere, meaning that UNH could end up anywhere and ASU could play anyone that would have to take a plane ride.

Pard4Life
November 20th, 2009, 12:07 PM
I believe when we had this discussion before it was determined that the only home playoff game UNH has had was when they were seeded 3rd.

Not that I think this matters, but for the record UNH is 1.3 hours from Boston while the Cross is 1 hour away. Nowhere in southern New England could be described as "isolated". The decision will be made based on who bid more money for the game and whether it isn't more expedient to send both teams somewhere else instead.

Gotcha on the geography. Thanks.

It's interesting 1994 was the only time UNH had an unseeded game. Weren't they a one seed though in 2005?

History does point towards UNH traveling. I still believe the committee will realize sending two teams an hour from each other on the road is insane, when one is 10-1 and bid for a game (if it's a good bid at least).

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 20th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Apparently UNH had a home game against App. St. in 1994 when they were both unseeded:

I think back then the entire field was seeded

LUHawker
November 20th, 2009, 12:13 PM

No big guy, I don't think it is. Your point in your preceding post was that Lehigh got a home game over a top JMU club in 2004, so therefore one should not rule out HC getting game on that basis.

My point is that Lehigh was a known quantity from a playoff-hosting perspective in 04 and JMU was not (plus the other geography issues). Carrying that comparison forward to HC-UNH, suggests that UNH (a known playoff-host) is likely to get the hosting privilege vs. HC, despite the optics of HC's better record.

I hope HC does find a way though, because it is good for HC and good for the PL and we as a league haven't hosted a game since '04.

MacThor
November 20th, 2009, 12:15 PM
In this example the geographic proximity works for the first 3 matchups, but once you have teams on planes they could go anywhere, meaning that UNH could end up anywhere and ASU could play anyone that would have to take a plane ride.

Actually I wasn't trying to match them up, just listing the 8 Eastern teams. But your point is well taken. I don't think they'll send UNH West though, unless EKU gets in and they send them East, or Liberty/Lafayette unexpectedly gets in.

Head Cat
November 20th, 2009, 12:18 PM
The FCS manual says that the seeded teams are matched with opponents based on geographic proximity before the other matchups are set. Holy Cross is by far the closest non-CAA team to Villanova, so if Villanova gets a seed, they should face Holy Cross if the committee listens to its own criteria.

"All pairings will be made by the Division I football championship committee. The
following principles are applied when pairing teams:
1. The teams awarded the top four seeds are placed in the appropriate positions in the
bracket (Nos. 1 and 4 in the upper half, and Nos. 2 and 3 in the lower half), and will
be paired with teams that are in closest geographic proximity;
2. The remaining teams will be paired according to geographic proximity and placed in
the bracket according to geographic proximity of the four pairings previously placed
in the bracket.
3. Teams from the same conference will not be paired for first-round games;
4. Once the first-round pairings have been determined, there will be no adjustments to
the bracket."

http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/champ_handbooks/football/2009/09_1AA_Football.pdf

But the NCAA HASN'T always followed that procedure. Montana played Wofford in the playoffs as a seeded team two years ago. And Youngstown State hosted James Madison in 2006 in the first round. UNI got New Hampshire (as you well know) in 2007 when they could have sent a closer team to Cedar Falls. They paired up other teams instead. I'm sure there are many other examples of that in the past eight years.

Also, Elon would be a team that would fall within the 400-mile radius for teams that could be bussed up to Villanova.

There are three matchups you can go to the bank with in the first round this year are Southern Illinois-Eastern Illinois (if Eastern Kentucky loses on Saturday to Jacksonville State as expected), Montana-South Dakota State and New Hampshire-Holy Cross. If that happens, I'd expect the HC-UNH game to be played in Worcester.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 20th, 2009, 12:20 PM
It's fairly simple. UNH has no chance for a home game unless they outbid HC (unlikely) and Delaware/Nova ends in favor of UD.

What people don't understand is that it is an ABSOLUTE lock that HC goes to 'Nova if 'Nova is a seed. They partner the seeds first, and 'Nova is a regional partner with HC.

I don't see it in this way. There's a chance for some sort of game in the Northeast. Why send them on the road?

Not only that, I think the CAA folks are really looking at this with rose-colored glasses. Sure, it's easy to see two home games (Villanova and the Richmond/W&M winner, one of whom will be seeded). Is SCSU really a lock to be sent to Richmond? I really don't think so.

Why not just fly Eastern Washington to Villanova instead? Their only regional matchup would be against Montana, so they're guaranteed to have to fly anyway. Flying from Seattle to Philly would be a breeze - not the case if they're flying into Des Moines or any number of other places.

I think there are better solutions than putting both northeastern teams on the road in one of the biggest media markets in the country. And it's accessible, too, in the case of a second-round game.

Head Cat
November 20th, 2009, 12:22 PM

The current system of seeding only four teams began in 2001 in the light of 9-11. They decided to make the event more regionally based and have stayed with that concept, at least to a large extent.

I was at that UNH game in 1994. OT thriller. It was a heck of a defensive struggle on a cold, cold day.

Head Cat
November 20th, 2009, 12:24 PM
I don't see it in this way. There's a chance for some sort of game in the Northeast. Why send them on the road?

Not only that, I think the CAA folks are really looking at this with rose-colored glasses. Sure, it's easy to see two home games (Villanova and the Richmond/W&M winner, one of whom will be seeded). Is SCSU really a lock to be sent to Richmond? I really don't think so.

Why not just fly Eastern Washington to Villanova instead? Their only regional matchup would be against Montana, so they're guaranteed to have to fly anyway. Flying from Seattle to Philly would be a breeze - not the case if they're flying into Des Moines or any number of other places.

I think there are better solutions than putting both northeastern teams on the road in one of the biggest media markets in the country. And it's accessible, too, in the case of a second-round game.

If South Carolina State plays Richmond, the only way Richmond is at home is as a seed and there is no lock that Richmond will be seeded. South Carolina State would blow almost any team other than Appalachian State and Montana out of the water with their bid. I don't see the committee sending SCSU to Boone two year in a row, either.

A little geography for you LFN, Eastern Washington would fly out of Spokane, not Seattle, which is several hours away.

smcwildcat
November 20th, 2009, 12:25 PM
wouldnt mind unh at hc

UNH Fanboi
November 20th, 2009, 12:40 PM
The current system of seeding only four teams began in 2001 in the light of 9-11. They decided to make the event more regionally based and have stayed with that concept, at least to a large extent.

I was at that UNH game in 1994. OT thriller. It was a heck of a defensive struggle on a cold, cold day.

According to the bracket I posted, it looks like between 1989-1994 they seeded four teams, then from 95-00 they seeded all 16, then in 01 they switched to the current system. A lot of that is before my time though, so I can't confirm that.

BTW, if the current system was really motivated by 9/11, that's dumb. I'm sure FCS charter planes are huge terrorist targets

GannonFan
November 20th, 2009, 12:42 PM

Technically speaking, the committee has, in the past, grouped the Big Sky, Great West, and the Southland together into a "region" (and frankly, you can even argue that the MVFC and the OVC fit into there too). With the potential for two Southland teams to make the playoffs this year, they may have a better option for EWU to play.

Also, since this regionalization idea came into force (2001?) there's not been an instance of a West team, especially a Far West team, having to take a flight and play on the East Coast in the first round. There's plenty of evidence of Eastern teams flying out west, but zero coming the other way, in the first round.

With the field being fairly geographically even this year, I don't see why the committee would make such a drastic change versus what they've done in years where they didn't have the balance like they now have. I strongly doubt you'll see a Portland St to Delaware type trip (like you're saying they could do with EWU) this year. Heck, even before regionalization people were criticizing that pairing and the travel burden for PSU.

WrenFGun
November 20th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to play at HC>

Like I said, though, the committee will seed a regional partner with 'Nova, and they're a seed. Why give them a harder opponent than they need be?

GannonFan
November 20th, 2009, 12:51 PM
And I agree with the idea that if HC and UNH get paired up, it'll definitely be at HC - can't see anyone would argue otherwise.

But if nova is a seed, there's no other good regional team for nova to play, and I agree with wrenF, they're not going to pair a highly seeded team with a tough, non-regional opponent. HC fits the bill to go to nova, with UNH travelling somewhere.

MacThor
November 20th, 2009, 01:18 PM
With the field being fairly geographically even this year, I don't see why the committee would make such a drastic change.

That's exactly my point. They only put UNH and Maine out west last year because there was a 10/6 imbalance (if you count EKU in the East). I'm not looking at it with "rose colored glasses" as LFN puts it. If the field stays as projected, and Villanova wins, they will host either App St., Elon, HC or SCSt. The winner of the UR/W&M game will also host one of those four.

Of those four teams, it seems like SC St. and ASU have the best cases for hosting. So I can see HC @ VU and Elon @ UR/WM winner, UNH in Boone and the UR/WM loser at SC St.

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 20th, 2009, 01:23 PM
OK, here's the scenario....

1)UNH and HC have to be in the same side of the bracket.
2)They must be placed such that the can only meet in the semis.
3)They both must win games and advance to the semis.

The semi final game would be UNH @ HC

It's as simple as that.

Thread/:D

rcny46
November 20th, 2009, 01:47 PM

An unseeded UNH also had a first round home playoff game with Samford coached by Terry Bowden in `91 or`92 (I attended the game,but I'm not sure about the year) and Samford took it by 10 or so.

bostonspider
November 20th, 2009, 02:16 PM
I do think that the UR / W&M winner will grab the #4 seed at 10-1, and a first round date with Elon. I also think it is a lock that ASU will host a first round game. While SCSU deserves to host a 1st round game, I am not 100% sure that they will outbid Richmond. In the past UR has bid whatever it takes to get the first round game. Losing a few thousand dollars is less important to the school, than having to travel for the game, at least in the first round.

MacThor
November 20th, 2009, 02:20 PM
I do think that the UR / W&M winner will grab the #4 seed at 10-1, and a first round date with Elon. I also think it is a lock that ASU will host a first round game. While SCSU deserves to host a 1st round game, I am not 100% sure that they will outbid Richmond. In the past UR has bid whatever it takes to get the first round game. Losing a few thousand dollars is less important to the school, than having to travel for the game, at least in the first round.

I agree completely. Unseeded Richmond got a home game last year while much bigger draw SC St went on the road.

So if Richmond wins tomorrow, the question becomes did W&M outbid SC St?

Sader87
November 20th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Ok, so what exactly (as best as anyone can see it/explain it) has to happen in games this weekend in order for a UNH@HC game to happen? I know a Delaware win over Villanova would be helpful....what else has to occur?

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 20th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Ok, so what exactly (as best as anyone can see it/explain it) has to happen in games this weekend in order for a UNH@HC game to happen? I know a Delaware win over Villanova would be helpful....what else has to occur?

If Villanova win's they'll be a seed. HC would be sent to them.
If Villanova is not seeded. (They would have to lose saturday) There is a chance that HC would be paired with UNH. If that happened the game would likely be in Worcester.

Don't hold your breathxpeacex

Fear the Bird
November 20th, 2009, 02:45 PM
If Villanova win's they'll be a seed. HC would be sent to them.
If Villanova is not seeded. (They would have to lose saturday) There is a chance that HC would be paired with UNH. If that happened the game would likely be in Worcester.

Don't hold your breathxpeacex

I would think it would take a Nova loss as well as a Montana win. If Nova loses a close game and Montana loses to MSU, Nova still has an outside shot at a seed as the second CAA along with ASU and SIU.

The other scenario would probably be Laffy finding a way in which would mean tomorrow is one of the craziest Saturdays ever with many bubble teams losing.

Go...gate
November 20th, 2009, 02:51 PM

I'm hoping this happens for both the PL and the Leopards, who have had a fine season.

GannonFan
November 20th, 2009, 03:39 PM
I'm hoping this happens for both the PL and the Leopards, who have had a fine season.

Heck, Liberty is a long shot to make the tourney, and they beat Lafayette. So that makes Lafayette a long shot +1 to make it. xnodx

Sader87
November 20th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Thanks to everyone for all the input, thoughts etc. in trying to sort this out....should be a very interesting weekend.

Pard4Life
November 20th, 2009, 07:02 PM

I'm secretly hoping the Pards get invited to sort out the game at Villanova so HC could host UNH and the winners face off.

Lehigh got invited in 2004 at 9-2 with a significantly less stellar resume than the Pards this year, if they win tmrw. I don't recall the bubble teams in 2004 though.

JohnStOnge
November 20th, 2009, 09:13 PM
As others have said, put in a high bid.

VT Wildcat Fan53
November 20th, 2009, 09:17 PM
PLers would love to see UNH vs. Holy Cross (in Worcester) and Lafayette vs. Villanova.

So would this New Englander, ... assuming that UNH's post-modern press box keeps the NCAA away again and again and again, ....

Go...gate
November 21st, 2009, 01:07 PM
Not if they lose to Bucknell!

rcny46
November 21st, 2009, 02:49 PM
Which they eventually did.Unbelievable.