PDA

View Full Version : Strengths and Weaknesses

Prominentwon
November 19th, 2009, 01:21 PM
of expected playoff teams.

Considering that the FBS doesn't get very much television coverage, not everyone knows much about teams in other conferences. For example, I honestly couldn't tell you what to expect if McNeese had to play, say, New Hampshire.

Now, I can go look at their team stats on ESPN.com or wherever, but stats do not usually paint you a broad picture. I went and looked at Villanova's offensive stats and I have to be honest here, I wondered how the hell they are winning. But, they are probably going to end up with the #1 seed, but I couldn't tell you how. Nova's QB is also their leading rusher while only throwing for less than 200 yards a game.

So here's a thread I would like to see. Post the strength and weaknesses and standout players of your team. Even post the strength and weaknesses and standout players of the playoff teams you have seen play.

If McNeese goes on to beat UCA this weekend, I would like to know what we're getting ourselves into. (Our computer rankings make it seem like we can't beat ANYBODY xwhistlex)

Go.

Silenoz
November 19th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Weakness:
Pass Defense

Strength:
Run Defense
Run Offense
Pass Offense
Return Games

Standout players:
Marc Mariani, WR
Chase Reynolds RB
Trumaine Johnson CB
Shawn Lebsock LB

Poker Alan
November 19th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Weakness:
Pass Defense
Undisciplined play (way too many penalties at crucial times)
Kicking game

Strength:
Run Defense
Run Offense
Pass Offense
Return Games

Standout players:
Marc Mariani, WR
Chase Reynolds RB
Trumaine Johnson CB
Shawn Lebsock LB

FYP

Prominentwon
November 19th, 2009, 02:04 PM
FYP?

Anyhow, McNeese is VERY VERY young on defense, but capable. I actually made a post on the McNeese board the other day about how ridiculous this defense will be in 2-3 years. There are a number of RSFr and Soph. that start and standout on the defense.

Unfortunately, they give up a couple big plays here and there. Tulane showed that a power run game can beat McNeese. Yet, they have improved in this area also.

The offense is OUTSTANDING with Todd Pendland. He's leading the nation in scoring as of right now and he was out for 3 games. Derrick Fourroux is a 4 year starter that is the life of that offense. If the line can block for these two, look out.

There hasn't been a defense that has stopped this offense so far.

Standout Players:

Todd Pendland - RB
Derrick Fourroux - QB
Wes Mangan/Corday Clark - TE's
Seth Thomas - CB
Malcolm Bronson - S
Brandon Robinson - S

Silenoz
November 19th, 2009, 02:06 PM
FYP

Good call

ASUG8
November 19th, 2009, 02:07 PM
ASU:

Weaknesses:
Kicking game
Inconsistent defensive effort

Strengths:
Pass offense
Running offense
Pass pressure
Dare I say improving pass defense? xeyebrowx

Key players:
Matt Cline, WR
Brian Quick, WR
Brian Legree, DB
Ed Gainey, DB
Devon Moore, RB
some Edwards kid, QB

Prominentwon
November 19th, 2009, 02:10 PM
some Edwards kid, QB

Who dat? xreadx

WrenFGun
November 19th, 2009, 02:11 PM
UNH:

Offense: The offense is really a trouble spot, and has been for most of the year, regardless of the amount of points we've scored this year. R.J. Toman, our Junior Quarterback and pre-season pick for CAA Player of the Year, has regressed considerably, with some folks calling for backup Kevin Decker. Toman has a strong arm and good mobility, but he has struggled with accuracy (12 TD-10 INT) and seems to fold in high pressure situations (UMass, William & Mary, SIU and UNI have been his worst games a pro, though those are all good defenses as well). He hasn't had much help, though. We lost our #1 WR in Terrance Fox pre-season due to suspension, and some of his wideouts, namely Kevon Mason, have had the dropsies. The running game is largely inconsistent, though both Chad Kackert and Sean Jellison have a good deal of talent. The offensive line hasn't been very good (lost 4 starters from last year's team) and the playcalling has not really catered to it (lots of side-to-side runs which leads to negative yardage). Against W&M, Toman had no time to throw the ball at any point and we had numerous 3 and outs.

Scott Sicko is the best TE in FCS and is unstoppable in the middle of the field. Toman will throw to him any time he can, with J.T. Wright, Travis Negron, Joey Orlando, Kevon Mason and Mickey Mangieri also receiving considerable targets.

Defensively, this is the best UNH defense I've seen in six years of watching the team. They've got a lot of quality, experienced depth on the defensive line (Steve Young, Jordan Long, John Murray, CAA ROTY Brian McNally, Lance Mailloux, Jared Smith, Kevin Peters and Kyle Maroney will all play a fair amount, though McNally, Young, Peters, Maroney and Long are the standouts there). UNH has two really good LB's in Devon Jackson and Sean Ware, and three nice, playmaking safeties in Terrance Klein, Hugo Souza and Ryan McGuiness. Ryan Hinds and Dino Vasso are capable cover corners though our gameplan often gives a lot of space to WR's in an effort to lessen the chances of the big play. Since we've still forced our fair share of turnovers, it's hard to really argue with it.

The defense often fatigues out of offensive ineffectiveness, which is partially the reason we lost to UMass (up late on UMass and just caved to two big runs, and then couldn't hold W&M on their last drive of the game that gave them the winning FG). This defense is a notch behind 'Nova, Richmond and W&M, but should still be formidable come playoff time.

Tom Manning has been unstoppable as a kicker for most of the season. He's booming kicks right now and has been a huge asset. Ryan Glasgow is not a very good punter, and often boots huge 25-30 yard punts. UNH has not had anything resembling a kick or punt returner of any magnitude all season.

Saint3333
November 19th, 2009, 02:11 PM
ASU

Strength:

Speed at all skill positions
Peaking at the right time
Young guys getting experience
More raw talent than any of the past championship teams, they just aren't a better team at this point, for the entire game. They are the best team in the nation for one quarter a game lately. Elon was the closest they've come to a complete game.

Weakness:

Young guys still make mistakes
Focus
FG kicking
Injuries (CoCo out for the year, AE and Quick banged up vs. Elon)

Players to watch:

AE - QB
Moore - RB
Cline - WR
Quick - WR
Actelli - OL
Fletcher - DL
DJ Smith - LB
LeGree - S
Gilbert - CB

Prominentwon
November 19th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Question for you App. St. guys....

What do you guys think of the McNeese game now? Come to find out, the MSU offense is quite explosive. Has your defense stepped up and improved?

DLS
November 19th, 2009, 02:14 PM
ASU:

Weaknesses:
Kicking game
Inconsistent defensive effort

Strengths:
Pass offense
Running offense
Pass pressure
Dare I say improving pass defense? xeyebrowx

Key players:
Matt Cline, WR
Brian Quick, WR
Brian Legree, DB
Devon Moore, RB
some Edwards kid, QB

dj smith, jacque roman - LB
cortez gilbert - CB

MacThor
November 19th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Weaknesses:
Special Teams
Clock Management

Strengths:
Everything Else

Prominentwon
November 19th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Weaknesses:
Special Teams
Clock Management

Strengths:
Everything Else

Now try an unbiased, thought out explanation.

Tribe4SF
November 19th, 2009, 02:23 PM
W&M

Weaknesses:

-Settling for FGs in the red zone.
-Kickoff return game has not produced many yards.

Strengths:

-Defense....237 yds/game....59 yds rushing/game....35 sacks
-Balanced offense....177 yds rushing/game....201 yds passing/game
-Kicking game
-Defensive depth

Standouts:

QB RJ Archer
RB Jonathan Grimes
TE Rob Varno
WR DJ McAulay
DE Adrian Tracy
DT Sean Lissemore
LB Jake Trantin
SS David Caldwell
CB/PR BW Webb

Poker Alan
November 19th, 2009, 02:35 PM
FYP?

fixed your post

McNeese72
November 19th, 2009, 02:44 PM
McNeese fans:

Weakness - Talking about playoffs before we play in a game that will probably determine whether or not we make the playoffs.

Doc

I'll talk about McNeese if and when we win Saturday and make the playoffs for sure. I'm not looking past these UCA Bears.

Prominentwon
November 19th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Talking about playoffs before we play in a game that will probably determine whether or not we make the playoffs.

I'll talk about McNeese if and when we win Saturday and make the playoffs for sure. I'm not looking past these UCA Bears.

God forbid.

But honestly, I expected a comment like this....it's a shame that I knew what was coming.....

If McNeese goes on to beat UCA this weekend, I would like to know what we're getting ourselves into.

Where in my post did I say that McNeese was no doubt getting into the playoffs?

McNeese72
November 19th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Dave Dickenson is a legend.

And so is Kerry Joseph. :)

Doc

Native
November 19th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Weber State

YES, WEBER STATE! 12th in the Massey Power Ratings

Strengths:
1. #8 passing team in the FCS against a much stronger schedule than most playoff teams
2. Defensive secondary
3. Speed at all skill positions
4. Scoring defense

Weakness:
1. Mistakes
2. Run defense
3. Mistakes
4. Injuries (TE Cody Nakamura, DT Jared Wilcox, DT Ryan Eastman, C Kyle Mutcher...)
5. Mistakes

Players to watch:

Higgins - QB
Toone - WR
Phillips - WR
Collins - WR
Francisco - TE
Smith - RB
Bolen - RB
Morris - DB
Brown - DB

McNeese72
November 19th, 2009, 03:41 PM
God forbid.

But honestly, I expected a comment like this....it's a shame that I knew what was coming.....

Where in my post did I say that McNeese was no doubt getting into the playoffs?

You may not of but I feel there are too many McNeese fans out there overlooking UCA thinking a win and the playoffs are a slam dunk.

I just hope (and I'm sure the coaches are making sure) that the team is respecting the Bears more than the fans are.

Doc

james_lawfirm
November 19th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Question for you App. St. guys....

What do you guys think of the McNeese game now? Come to find out, the MSU offense is quite explosive. Has your defense stepped up and improved?

Since you asked:

I think we should have won that game. McNeese was good, and I would LOVE to see them again.

And, yes, the D has improved. Just ask Elon.

Saint3333
November 19th, 2009, 03:58 PM
ASU's offense has also improved. The play calling the first 4 games of the season was too conservative especially in the first halves.

The new OC has grow a lot this season and learned to utilize more of the weapons available.

JohnStOnge
November 19th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Since you asked:

I think we should have won that game. McNeese was good, and I would LOVE to see them again.

And, yes, the D has improved. Just ask Elon.

I'd feel like App shouldv'e won the game too if I was an App fan. As it is, I felt like it was one of those games determined largely by who got the right breaks at the right time and could've gone either way. However, either way, I'm really proud of the way McNeese played in that game. Going in I thought they were going to get killed. I think App's defense did do a decent job against East Carolina the week before and it was a really outstanding performance by the McNeese offense. And it had to be.

Mountaineer#96
November 19th, 2009, 04:16 PM
of expected playoff teams.

Considering that the FBS doesn't get very much television coverage, not everyone knows much about teams in other conferences. For example, I honestly couldn't tell you what to expect if McNeese had to play, say, New Hampshire.

Now, I can go look at their team stats on ESPN.com or wherever, but stats do not usually paint you a broad picture. I went and looked at Villanova's offensive stats and I have to be honest here, I wondered how the hell they are winning. But, they are probably going to end up with the #1 seed, but I couldn't tell you how. Nova's QB is also their leading rusher while only throwing for less than 200 yards a game.

So here's a thread I would like to see. Post the strength and weaknesses and standout players of your team. Even post the strength and weaknesses and standout players of the playoff teams you have seen play.

If McNeese goes on to beat UCA this weekend, I would like to know what we're getting ourselves into. (Our computer rankings make it seem like we can't beat ANYBODY xwhistlex)

Go.

I think they get plenty of coverage IMO..............;)

Hoyadestroya85
November 19th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Villanova

Strengths:
Offensive Line (Run Blocking)
Running game
Multitude of Offensive Weapons
Efficient Passing Game
Stingy run defense
Turnover Margin
Special Teams Coverage
Pass Rush
Overall Defense
Tackling
Red Zone Offensive

Weaknesses:
Sometimes soft pass defense
Inconsistent Kicking Game
Pass Protection (Right side has been a rotation this year)

Standouts:
#1 So. CB James Pitts
#2 Jr. WS Fred Maldonado
#3 Sr. WR/PR Brandyn Harvey
#4 Jr. WR/QB/RB/KR/Bus Driver Matt Szczur
#9 Jr. MLB Marquis Kirkland
#14 Sr. FS Ross Ventrone
#17 Jr. QB Chris Whitney
#21 Jr. SS John Dempsey
#23 Sr. OLB Osayi Osunde
#25 Jr. RB Aaron Ball
#54 Jr. OLB Terence Thomas Jr.
#56 Jr. DE Tim Kukucka
#60 Sr. C Brian Brannigan
#71 JR LT Ben Ijalana

Ronbo
November 19th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Weber State

YES, WEBER STATE! 12th in the Massey Power Ratings

Strengths:
1. #8 passing team in the FCS against a much stronger schedule than most playoff teams
2. Defensive secondary
3. Speed at all skill positions
4. Scoring defense

Weakness:
1. Mistakes
2. Run defense
3. Mistakes
4. Injuries (TE Cody Nakamura, DT Jared Wilcox, DT Ryan Eastman, C Kyle Mutcher...)
5. Mistakes

Players to watch:

Higgins - QB
Toone - WR
Phillips - WR
Collins - WR
Francisco - TE
Smith - RB
Bolen - RB
Morris - DB
Brown - DB

Four out of five of your weaknesses are really excuses. xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

WrenFGun
November 19th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Villanova

Strengths:
Offensive Line (Run Blocking)
Running game
Multitude of Offensive Weapons
Efficient Passing Game
Stingy run defense
Turnover Margin
Special Teams Coverage
Pass Rush
Overall Defense
Tackling
Red Zone Offensive

Weaknesses:
Sometimes soft pass defense
Inconsistent Kicking Game
Pass Protection (Right side has been a rotation this year)

Standouts:
#1 So. CB James Pitts
#2 Jr. WS Fred Maldonado
#3 Sr. WR/PR Brandyn Harvey
#4 Jr. WR/QB/RB/KR/Bus Driver Matt Szczur
#9 Jr. MLB Marquis Kirkland
#14 Sr. FS Ross Ventrone
#17 Jr. QB Chris Whitney
#21 Jr. SS John Dempsey
#23 Sr. OLB Osayi Osunde
#25 Jr. RB Aaron Ball
#54 Jr. OLB Terence Thomas Jr.
#56 Jr. DE Tim Kukucka
#60 Sr. C Brian Brannigan
#71 JR LT Ben Ijalana

You know, I've seen probably 4-5 'Nova games over the last two years and, GENERALLY, I would say you're being a bit liberal with the term standouts, but seriously, I KNOW most of those players by name and they're all quite good. Kirkland, Pitts, Harvey, Szczur, Ventrone, Whitney, Osunde, Ball and Kukcuka are the ones that come to mind for me.

Chi Panther
November 19th, 2009, 08:05 PM
Strengths: Talentxnodx
Weaknesses: Execution and Turnovers.....xbawlingx

Native
November 19th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Four out of five of your weaknesses are really excuses. xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Jeeez, Ronbo, are you still P.O.'d that the Wildcats blew the Griz away last year in the regular season?!???

JohnStOnge
November 19th, 2009, 08:38 PM
McNeeses's strength is its offense. It has great balance, a good and athletic offenslive line, and a lot of good skill players. Though Todd Pendland is, I think, essential to any chance they have at advancing in the playoffs, they have three really good running backs who can each take it the distance on any play.

The weaknesses are mostly on defense. Particularly disconcerting is the defense against the pass. McNeese is 80th in FCS Pass Efficiency Defense. The Cowboys are also 71st in scoring defense; giving up 26 points per game. I will note that against Stephen F. Austin and Texas State McNeese started off looking very bad on defense then got better in each case after about the middle of the second quarter. They shut out Stephen F. Austin in the second half and held Texas State to seven points. Hopefully that means they are capable of adjusting. Don't know.

The biggest single concern to me on the offensive side is potential lack of depth at quarterback. If they need to go to a backup in that position I don't know how that'll work out because they haven't been playing the backup much. It's a pretty good bet that they're not going to have anybody who's as much of a problem for opposing defenses as the starter, though. It's not just that he's a run/pass threat; it's that he's a very good field general as well and the team has a lot of confidence in him.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 19th, 2009, 08:43 PM
EWU

Strengths
Passing
Scoring Points Quickly
Rushing Outside
Special Teams- Returns
DL pressure

Weaknesses
Rushing between the tackles
Special Teams- Coverage, FGs/PATs
Passing Defense

Key Players
Matt Nichols, QB - 233/349=66.8%, 2961yds, 25 TDs/5 INTs, 296.1ypg
Taiwan Jones, RB - 134-980=7.3ypc, 13 TDs, 28 rec- 411yds, 3 TDs
Nathan Overbay, TE - 6'5, 11 TDs
J.C. Sherritt, LB - 139 Tackles, 13 TFL, 3 FFs, 3FRs, 1 INT for TD
Matt Johnson, SS - 77 Tackles, 6 TFL, 6 INTs, 1 Sack, 3 FFs, 1 FRs
Renard Williams, DL - 7.5 Sacks, 5 QBH, 1 FF

Walkon79
November 20th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Strengths

Rushing Offense
Rushing Defense
Kicking Game (Seems strange to say that about an MSU team this decade)

Weaknesses

Secondary (Talented but really young back there)
Turnover margin
Inconsistency on offense

Players to watch

Everett Gilbert (True Freshman Phenom at wideout)
Dane Fletcher DE (one of the Buck Buchanan front-runners)
Joe Schreibis TE
Aaron Mason RB
Dan Ogden DL

PhoenixMan
November 20th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Elon
Strengths:
Experienced Defense
Passing offense (we have also ran the ball better than most realize)
Can Score in a Hurry
Riddle/Hudgins combination

Weaknesses:
Kick off return yds. are awful
Ability to win the "big" game
Coach who is trying to beat the "Choke" reputation

BEAT SAMFORD!

Screamin_Eagle174
November 20th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Strengths

Rushing Offense
Rushing Defense
Kicking Game (Seems strange to say that about an MSU team this decade)

Weaknesses

Secondary (Talented but really young back there)
Turnover margin
Inconsistency on offense

Players to watch

Everett Gilbert (True Freshman Phenom at wideout)
Dane Fletcher DE (one of the Buck Buchanan front-runners)
Joe Schreibis TE
Aaron Mason RB
Dan Ogden DL

After the # of games he's missed, no way. Don't get me wrong, he's a great player, but doesn't have a chance to win it after missing that much.