PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Predictions 11-21

JALMOND
November 19th, 2009, 12:35 AM
Finally the last week is here. Time to wrap this year up and move on. Three teams in the Big Sky have done just that last week. But the six others still have things to do. Two games this week involve conference teams and some serious playoff aspirations. Currently I am at 49-10 for the year. Here are this week's predictions, all are my opinion and all are open for discussion.

EWU @ NAU---The Eagles are hoping for a win to end the year probation free and on a four game winning streak. Hopefully that will look good for the committee and the Eagles can get in to the playoffs. First, though, they need to get by the Jacks, who had their playoff hopes ended last week on a snow-covered field at Weber State. Now all that is left is playing for pride and sometimes that is the best thing to play for...NAU 30, EWU 28.

UC-Davis @ Sac State---The Hornets conference season ended last week on the short end at Montana State, but that should not have put a damper on what they accomplished this year. They have one more chance to go out winners as they face off with their area rivals in UC-Davis. Close proximity means these two non-conference foes do not really care for one another, and that is what makes a good rivalry...Sac State 31, UC-Davis 21.

Cal Poly @ WSU---The Wildcats are still harboring playoff thoughts and need a win against last year's playoff foe Cal Poly and a kind sendoff from the committee to get there again. The win they can get, as this year's Cal Poly team is a far different outfit than the one that played in Ogden last year. The sendoff from the committee may have to be a wait and see...WSU 38, Cal Poly 20.

and the biggie...

UM @ MSU---Call it what you want. This game will be huge. The Grizzlies have done pretty much everything they've set out to do. They have the conference title, they are in the playoffs with the auto-bid. A win over the Bobcats will no doubt sew up one of the top 4 seeds in the playoffs, guaranteeing home field until at least the semifinals. For the Bobcats, it is a little bit more. They will need help from the committee, but the feeling is that they are in if they win this game. Obviously a lot on the line and shaping up to be a great game. The winner?...MSU 15, UM 10.

Playoff participants...Montana and Montana State.

I Bleed Purple
November 19th, 2009, 01:07 AM
To have any chance at an at large, I think we need to win by a decent margin. MSU is probably in if they win, and if they lose, and either EWU or WSU win, I think one of them is in.

09griz
November 19th, 2009, 05:35 AM
If msu beats um why the he'll do you think it's gonna be such a low scoring game? Also holy hell AGS hates the griz...

Ronbo
November 19th, 2009, 05:51 AM
Man, you just might have predicted your way to 0-4 this week.xlolxxlolx

Poker Alan
November 19th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Man, you just might have predicted your way to 1-3 this week.xlolxxlolx

I think he has Weber St correct...

Ronbo
November 19th, 2009, 08:53 AM
If MSU can beat Weber State Cal Poly can also.

Poker Alan
November 19th, 2009, 09:10 AM
I hear you there, just seems Cal Poly has really fallen off the cliff the second half of the season.

EdubAlum
November 19th, 2009, 09:29 AM
i agree the um vs msu game will be higher scoring barring a blizzard in Missoula.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the EWU game, but it is very, very difficult to win in Flagstaff.

kalm
November 19th, 2009, 09:46 AM
I see a low scoring game in the brawl as well. These are too big, bruising teams who's strength is running the football. The only way I see it being high scoring is if there's a lot of turnovers and penalties that help sustain drives.

Then again...this is the Big Sky Conference.

wapiti
November 19th, 2009, 09:57 AM
EWU 32 @ NAU 36--- EWU is playing for a playoff spot, but NAU is at home and is playing for pride. Home field wins it.

UC-Davis 23 @ Sac State 24--- This game could go either way.

Cal Poly 21 @ WSU 32---BBQ controlls their turnover problem this game and wins.

UM 21 @ MSU 24--- UM turns the ball over one more time MSU and MSU wins by a field goal on that turnover.

Bronco
November 19th, 2009, 10:04 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EWU wins...NAU is done for the year

Sac State wins their rivalry game

WSU wins in the empty stadium

UM wins with cat turnovers

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/Tiz/smilies/1562.gif

Poker Alan
November 19th, 2009, 10:14 AM
i agree the um vs msu game will be higher scoring barring a blizzard in Missoula.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the EWU game, but it is very, very difficult to win in Flagstaff.

The game is in Bozeman, not Missoula...

Native
November 19th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Man, you just might have predicted your way to 0-4 this week.xlolxxlolx

Nope... maybe 1-3... xlolx

100%GRIZ
November 19th, 2009, 11:20 AM
EWU 31 NAU 28

UC Davis 24 SAC 18

Cal Poly 13 WSU 35

MT 27 msu 16

Grizzaholic
November 19th, 2009, 11:22 AM
If msu beats um why the he'll do you think it's gonna be such a low scoring game? Also holy hell AGS hates the griz...

xnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodx

Stonewall D
November 19th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Most CAA fans are pulling for a Montana State upset. I am no different- Montana State 25 - Montana 20. Montana State makes the playoffs. Go MSU. Montana has a lot to prove after its squeaker victory last weekend. MT takes the competition too lightly, it loses to MSU and misses a seed. Either way, Montana makes an early exit from the playoffs. If MT wins, it will get New Hampshire at home and it loses. If MT loses, it goes on the road to Villanova and loses.

ronangrizfan
November 19th, 2009, 12:57 PM
EWU is in with a win, regardless of what happens in Bozeman.

Silenoz
November 19th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Most CAA fans are pulling for a Montana State upset. I am no different- Montana State 25 - Montana 20. Montana State makes the playoffs. Go MSU. Montana has a lot to prove after its squeaker victory last weekend. MT takes the competition too lightly, it loses to MSU and misses a seed. Either way, Montana makes an early exit from the playoffs. If MT wins, it will get New Hampshire at home and it loses. If MT loses, it goes on the road to Villanova and loses.

We clearly suck!

Seriously, lose a championship and a first round game and and you're suddenly some paper tiger cupcake xlolx

Grizzaholic
November 19th, 2009, 01:02 PM

I was under the impression that the Griz beat Northern Colorado pretty good. I must have not been paying too much attention at the game. I could have sworn the final score was 38-10.

Weird.

Poker Alan
November 19th, 2009, 01:07 PM

Are you sure your name isn't "Stonedwall" (misplaced "D") -- you really think the Griz go on the road for the first round, with a loss? Not a chance, at MINIMUM one game at home, still likely at least two... NCAA loves our crowd. Its funny how the Griz had one bad game, and now people like you are so easy to brush them aside. Don't put any stock into the game before ISU, when we put the boots to Weber St... or the fact that we have won every close game this season (which, only really good teams do).

paul1978
November 19th, 2009, 01:19 PM
The cat/GRIZ game won’t even be close. The Griz will start strong and stay strong. Griz 38 cats 16.

slostang
November 19th, 2009, 01:20 PM
I hear you there, just seems Cal Poly has really fallen off the cliff the second half of the season.

Cal Poly has been racked by injuries on both the offensive and defensive lines and are a shell of the team that they were at the start of the season. As much as I love Cal Poly, this one could get ugly for the Mustangs. Weber State wins big.

The upside for the Mustangs is that next year they return 9 starters on offense and 7 on defense next season. More importantly they have a full year under their belts with the new coaching staff. I think Cal Poly makes a run for the playoffs in 2010.

CopperCat
November 19th, 2009, 01:40 PM
The cat/GRIZ game won’t even be close. The Griz will start strong and stay strong. Griz 38 cats 16.

The #1 defense in the conference might have something to say about that.

elkmcc
November 19th, 2009, 01:55 PM

The kitties are going to get their a*s handed to them Saturday. Hey, there is always next year. Oh wait, kitty fans have been saying that for more than a quarter century.

CopperCat
November 19th, 2009, 02:20 PM
The kitties are going to get their a*s handed to them Saturday. Hey, there is always next year. Oh wait, kitty fans have been saying that for more than a quarter century.

Keep on telling yourself that. I'm watching the replay of ISU-UM. Pretty good stuff.

Silenoz
November 19th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Keep on telling yourself that. I'm watching the replay of ISU-UM. Pretty good stuff.

Watch out, I think Dixie State just threw another 9 yard pass on the Cats!

I Bleed Purple
November 19th, 2009, 02:30 PM
De board le smaque is not here.

Given that it's a rivalry, the game means something to UM, so they'll win.

elkmcc
November 19th, 2009, 02:34 PM

The difference between Montana and the kitty cats is that the Griz win. Do I need to remind you of Northern Colorado's first win ever win in the BSC ?

Native
November 19th, 2009, 02:45 PM

The upside for the Mustangs is that next year they return 9 starters on offense and 7 on defense next season. More importantly they have a full year under their belts with the new coaching staff. I think Cal Poly makes a run for the playoffs in 2010.

I think so, too. xthumbsupx

CrazyCat
November 19th, 2009, 03:00 PM
“I have always grown up a Bobcat. There’s a lot of pride on this team,” “There’s a lot riding on this game. You always respect your opponent, but you never fear them.” DE Dane Fletcher

elkmcc
November 19th, 2009, 03:06 PM
“I have always grown up a Bobcat. There’s a lot of pride on this team,” “There’s a lot riding on this game. You always respect your opponent, but you never fear them.” DE Dane Fletcher

In other words, "it is embarassing to be a pussy. There is a lot of feline envy. There is a lot riding on this game. We are going to get destroyed".

CrazyCat
November 19th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Wow. good one elk. way to make griznation proud.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 19th, 2009, 03:21 PM
I'm still 2 games back from Jalmond at 47-12, but could either tie him or take the lead in the final week with 4 good games on the slate.

EWU 45-35 NAU — EWU is coming into Flagstaff piping-hot with 3-straight wins, while the Jacks are coming in freezing-cold after getting buried 27-9 by Weber State in a blizzard, capping a 3-game road losing streak. Pride vs. Playoffs, one thing is for certain; lots of points will be scored.

Montana 28-20 Montana St. — Brawl of the Wild... with playoff implications. The Bobcats would be in the running for an at-large bid with a win over a top-5 team. The Griz might have already wrapped up the auto-bid, but need a win to secure home-field advantage throughout the playoffs. Bobcats play tough, but the Griz will play tougher.

UC Davis 31-17 Sac State — Birds and the Bees. err, Aggies and Hornets. Rivals by proximity. Defense will be the difference, as the Hornets are ranked almost at the bottom of the FCS (114th) in total defense, with the Aggies at 54th.

Cal Poly 13-35 Weber State — A blizzard might have had an effect on the Wildcats’ passing game last week, but with Trevyn Smith, it didn’t matter. They rode him in the second half and cruised to a 27-9 victory over NAU. The Mustangs of SLO will stampede in and hope to parade out with a win, but will the forecasted snow impact the game? Will Weber State keep their post-season hopes alive with a win? Will it matter?

elkmcc
November 19th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Wow. good one elk. way to make griznation proud.

Oh I forgot. Bobcats suck !

Screamin_Eagle174
November 19th, 2009, 03:23 PM

Which will be curtly administered a retort by Montana's 7th ranked (nationally) offense. xrulesx

Screamin_Eagle174
November 19th, 2009, 03:27 PM

The last time the Jacks beat us in Flagstaff was 2003. xrulesx

2005: Eastern Washington 42, Northern Arizona 14
2007: Eastern Washington 52, Northern Arizona 24

xeyebrowx

CopperCat
November 19th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Which will be curtly administered a retort by Montana's 7th ranked (nationally) offense. xrulesx

Weber isn't far behind at #13. You just need us to lose so that the discussion becomes more favorable for EWU. Understandable, but very presumptuous.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 19th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Weber isn't far behind at #13. You just need us to lose so that the discussion becomes more favorable for EWU. Understandable, but very presumptuous.

According to at least one member of the committee, whether or not MSU wins doesn't matter. If the do, it might make it closer, but...

http://www.billingsgazette.com/sports/college/a9950616-d350-11de-b0da-001cc4c03286.html

CrazyCat
November 19th, 2009, 03:57 PM
According to at least one member of the committee, whether or not MSU wins doesn't matter. If the do, it might make it closer, but...

http://www.billingsgazette.com/sports/college/a9950616-d350-11de-b0da-001cc4c03286.html

and from that same committee member

"Eastern beat the Cats, and that probably would have an impact (on the committee's decision)," said O'Day. "But we (committee members) also know MSU had a lot of kids sick that weekend."

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/article/20091117/SPORTS/911170326/1006/SPORTS/Bobcats-among-several-teams-in-contention-for-FCS-playoffs

kalm
November 19th, 2009, 04:11 PM

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/article/20091117/SPORTS/911170326/1006/SPORTS/Bobcats-among-several-teams-in-contention-for-FCS-playoffs

Should kids missing a game due to illness be that much different than injuries? I know for a fact Matt Nichols also had the flue that game and I'm sure several other EWU players did as it was running rampant in Cheney at the time.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 19th, 2009, 04:30 PM

Natural occurrences, such as injury and illness, aren't mitigating circumstances for the outcome of a game, as they happen to every team through the course of a season. They're part of the game and cannot be controlled evaluated like a date, football field, two teams and a rule book can. If the committee can't realize that, then they probably shouldn't be serving on the committee.

Hell, if "what-ifs" factored into deciding which team is better, I could argue that Idaho State was the better team against Oklahoma; there are a lot of "what-ifs" that could have potentially led to ISU beating OU.

eagle1
November 19th, 2009, 04:32 PM
I am so tired of you MSU fans complaining about having too many guys sick as to the reason that you lost against EWU. Every team in the country as there share of illness and injuries that impact games/seasons. We have had a crazy amount of injuries that have impacted our team some even before the season started but you will not find many EWU fans using that as an excuse for losing to Weber or Montana. Like it or not, EWU won the game and has the right to the head to head tie breaker for playoffs and any committee member that uses injuries or illnesses to determine someone's participation in the playoffs should not be allowed to serve on that committee. Too many would haves and should haves that really dont matter in grand scheme of things. Go Eagles!!!

wapiti
November 19th, 2009, 04:57 PM
I am so tired of you MSU fans complaining about having too many guys sick as to the reason that you lost against EWU. Every team in the country as there share of illness and injuries that impact games/seasons. We have had a crazy amount of injuries that have impacted our team some even before the season started but you will not find many EWU fans using that as an excuse for losing to Weber or Montana. Like it or not, EWU won the game and has the right to the head to head tie breaker for playoffs and any committee member that uses injuries or illnesses to determine someone's participation in the playoffs should not be allowed to serve on that committee. Too many would haves and should haves that really dont matter in grand scheme of things. Go Eagles!!!

I agree. Injuries and sickness can have an effect on a team's performance, but to keep hammering on it, that gets old. Every team has to deal with them, especially if it is to a key player.

kalm
November 19th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Can we get in for the pain, suffering, and mental anguish of the post season ban most of the season? It cost us at least two games. xsmiley_wix

elkmcc
November 19th, 2009, 05:05 PM

After 25 years we should all be accustomed to it. MSU=excuses.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 19th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Can we get in for the pain, suffering, and mental anguish of the post season ban most of the season? It cost us at least two games. xsmiley_wix

xlolxxlolxxlolx

Spot on.

GolfingGriz
November 19th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Sac. State 38 Davis 35

Weber 34 Cal Poly 21

EWU 45 NAU 35

Griz 31 Cats 21

Grrrrriz
November 19th, 2009, 05:55 PM

To be fair, Cat fans have only been using the same argument as Screaming Eagle was when the Griz beat them this year. Which is injuries, and superior game stats. Neither of which really matter after you lose. But, I guess its a good argument when it applies to your team. EWU barely beat an MSU team that was roughly 50% and without a kicker and was much better on offense than EWU (I think to the tune of nearly 600 yards of O that day)...but you won so the argument doesn't matter. In the interest of full disclosure, I will say...I really like EWU, quite a bit actually, Montana has had quite a few great players in the last 5 years, but I gotta say that Aaron Boyce was one of my 5 favorite players to watch over that time period. That being said, if it didn't mean beating Montana, I would prefer the Cats made the playoffs, but since it means they would have to beat the Griz, which isn't going to happen EWU should make the playoffs.

Sac. State 21 UC Davis 17

Weber 40 Cal Poly 21

EWU 31 NAU 28

Griz 44 Cats 20

I Bleed Purple
November 19th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Should EWU and Weber tie for second (meaning a Bobcat loss), Weber has the better resume of the two. 7-3 D-I 7-2 FCS vs. 7-4 D-I 7-2 FCS. Weber has the head to head. Weber's OOC opponent beat EWU's OOC opponent.

HenZoneNation
November 19th, 2009, 06:22 PM
I don't know why you guys even bother predicting Montana's games...they clearly dominate in every fashion and if it wasn't for the conference they were in would probably be ranked #1 in the Nation. They are clearly the Boise State of the FCS. They seem to have a terrific team and yet both schools that are in front of them in the rankings have a loss, yes the losses are to good schools, but Montana seems penalized for who they beat rather than rewarded. They'd be better off being an Independent.

Shellin
November 19th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Can we please keep idiot Delaware fans out of Big Sky threads...?

EWU by 10
Weber by 17
Davis by 7
Griz by 7

Grizzaholic
November 19th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Can we please keep idiot Delaware fans to stay out of Big Sky threads...?

EWU by 10
Weber by 17
Davis by 7
Griz by 7

89Hen is far from an idiot.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 19th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Should EWU and Weber tie for second (meaning a Bobcat loss), Weber has the better resume of the two. 7-3 D-I 7-2 FCS vs. 7-4 D-I 7-2 FCS. Weber has the head to head. Weber's OOC opponent beat EWU's OOC opponent.

And yet it still wont matter because a 7-4 WSU will not get in over a 7-3 EWU.

HenZoneNation
November 19th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Shellin,

You care to explain why Nova jumped from 5 to 2, SIU jumped from 7 to 1 and each have a loss while Montana is undefeated and still remains at 3? Just cause a UD fan says it's raining outside doesn't make it sunny.

Tailbone
November 19th, 2009, 06:57 PM

Heard that before.

47-17

Native
November 19th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Montana has cinched the Conference title and is fighting for a top four seed, and three teams from America's second most powerful conference are still vying for an at-large bid to the post season: Montana State, Eastern Washington, and Weber State.

The final games of the regular season will determine which team gets that second playoff bid. Here are my predictions:

Montana 27 at Montana State 24: Bobcats play their best game of the season but come up short.

Cal Poly 14 at Weber State 27: For the second week in a row, weather plays a role in another Wildcat victory.

UC Davis 31 at Sacramento State 27: The Great West Conference Champs take this one in a good game.

Eastern Washington 28 at Northern Arizona 27: The Lumberjacks put up a fight but the Eagles prevail.

kalm
November 19th, 2009, 07:11 PM
I don't know why you guys even bother predicting Montana's games...they clearly dominate in every fashion and if it wasn't for the conference they were in would probably be ranked #1 in the Nation. They are clearly the Boise State of the FCS. They seem to have a terrific team and yet both schools that are in front of them in the rankings have a loss, yes the losses are to good schools, but Montana seems penalized for who they beat rather than rewarded. They'd be better off being an Independent.

Except that unlike Boise State, Montana actually reaches the title game and has won championships.

More like USC prior to this season. A dominant team from an underated western conference where the rest of the teams beat each other and then go win post season games.

BTW, the BSC is the #2 rated conference in sagarin and GPI, I'm guessing their OOC keeps them from #1.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
November 19th, 2009, 07:30 PM

That much yellow hurts my eyes.xcoffeex

GrizFanStuckInUtah
November 19th, 2009, 10:24 PM
EWU @ NAU--- By 10, Jacks are fading late again.
UC-Davis @ Sac State--- By 7 nfc
Cal Poly @ WSU--- By 7, Cats have a lot to play for and at home
UM @ MSU--- By 7, Griz have something to prove and this is the week

putter
November 19th, 2009, 11:01 PM

That is an interesting take Hen and something I never thought about. I honestly think that the FCS community is putting way too much into that ISU game. If Montana won 12-10 and had no turnovers, 280 yards of offense I could understand the skepticism but they had 4 turnovers and 500 yards of offense. They had the offense to put ISU away but they did not, they had a bad day..if you want to take that day and label them as a so-so team do that at you own risk. They are good and will, once again, prove it against the nations best.

I Bleed Purple
November 20th, 2009, 02:39 AM
And yet it still wont matter because a 7-4 WSU will not get in over a 7-3 EWU.

I really don't think one extra loss to an FBS will trump head to head.

09griz
November 20th, 2009, 04:06 AM

Okay this is a bit off your quote but.....UPDATE YOUR DAMNED PICTURE. If you need the new one I can send you a link to a great 31-10.jpg that you can upload. Just a thought.

I Bleed Purple
November 20th, 2009, 04:13 AM
Okay this is a bit off your quote but.....UPDATE YOUR DAMNED PICTURE. If you need the new one I can send you a link to a great 31-10.jpg that you can upload. Just a thought.

Why? Damn fine photography if you ask me.

GolfingGriz
November 20th, 2009, 04:14 AM

This could become real interesting if Weber wins this weekend. If they win, then they have a legitimate point to get in over EWU at 8-3. Certainly Weber's near loss to FBS Colorado State/Wyoming is better than Eastern's victory over DII Western Oregon.

However, does Weber deserve to get in over potentially 7-4 Montana State?

I think that if MSU wins they are in regardless of what else happens around the conference/country. They would be 7-2 against FCS and have won their last 4 games.

BSC Breakdown...

MSU: Win and in. Loss and would need alot of help. For starters EWU and WSU would need to lose.

EWU: Win and probably in, but a MSU loss would all but assure a trip to Lake Charles. Loss and like MSU, would need a ton of help.

WSU: Win and they have a chance. Would need MSU to lose and probably EWU too. Loss and they are obviously done.

The BSC will probably get two teams in the field, but there is as much of a chance for three teams as there is for only Montana to be in.

paul1978
November 20th, 2009, 07:49 AM
MSU, EWU and WSU all have 6 wins against Div I teams. A team must have 7 wins against Div I teams to be eligible for an at large bid. It’s win or you’re out for all three.

HenZoneNation
November 20th, 2009, 08:59 AM
I have to disagree with the BSC being the #2 conference in the FCS. It's hard to say that a conference is that strong when one team has dominated so thoroughly. It shows a huge difference in the level play and you have to wonder if the higher ratings given to BSC are because the conference is so tough or that Monatana is such a strong program that it raises the strength of the conference past other conferences. The same thing goes with SoCo. Until teams like Elon and FU can beat Appy, it's hard to say that on the whole they are as strong as the MVC which has at least two great teams every year who rivial each other for the conference Champs and a team like South Dakota State who is on the rise. It makes the MVC the second hardest conference. I think this is indectitive by SIU's jump from 7 to 1 while Montana, without a loss didn't move up at all.

I say this not to bad mouth the BSC. I think you're a good conference and you guys love you're football. It's just a shame that this impacts Montana so much. If the BSC was #2 in strength then logic would say that Montana, in a harder conference and undefeated should be #1, not #3. As a UD fan it drives me nuts playing West Chester because even wins can hurt you. It's something that UM should look at.

I bring up the Boise State comparison not because Montana hasn't won a chmpionship, but because Biose get's hurt by their conference. USC didn't, their wins simply held them at #1 during those Championship years

kalm
November 20th, 2009, 09:57 AM
I have to disagree with the BSC being the #2 conference in the FCS. It's hard to say that a conference is that strong when one team has dominated so thoroughly. It shows a huge difference in the level play and you have to wonder if the higher ratings given to BSC are because the conference is so tough or that Monatana is such a strong program that it raises the strength of the conference past other conferences. The same thing goes with SoCo. Until teams like Elon and FU can beat Appy, it's hard to say that on the whole they are as strong as the MVC which has at least two great teams every year who rivial each other for the conference Champs and a team like South Dakota State who is on the rise. It makes the MVC the second hardest conference. I think this is indectitive by SIU's jump from 7 to 1 while Montana, without a loss didn't move up at all.

I say this not to bad mouth the BSC. I think you're a good conference and you guys love you're football. It's just a shame that this impacts Montana so much. If the BSC was #2 in strength then logic would say that Montana, in a harder conference and undefeated should be #1, not #3. As a UD fan it drives me nuts playing West Chester because even wins can hurt you. It's something that UM should look at.

I bring up the Boise State comparison not because Montana hasn't won a chmpionship, but because Biose get's hurt by their conference. USC didn't, their wins simply held them at #1 during those Championship years

The BSC is #2 in GPI this year.

On a year to year to basis I think the CAA has been the best, but the MVC, SLC, Southern and BSC are comparable, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. Which one is the best is highly debateable.

For example you could easily turn your comparison around and say the MVC is just like the BSC minus a truly elite team that wins championships. Or, to use a frequent CAA argument, the BSC gets 4 teams other than Montana into the playoffs on a consistent basis whereas with the MVC it's almost always the same two. (relax MVC fans these are just examples.

The BSC conference strength is vindicated every couple years by either an at large upset of a seeded team, or a Montana trip to the Championship. I really don't think Montana has suffered too much at the hands of a weak conference.

I Bleed Purple
November 20th, 2009, 12:47 PM

Big Sky teams that aren't Montana are 5-1 in opening round games the last six years. The conference performs in the playoffs.

HenZoneNation
November 20th, 2009, 01:12 PM
I have your record at 5-9 for teams in the playoffs not named Montanta with five of those losses coming in the 5th round. The MVC has not had the variations of teams in that BSC has but their teams seem to go deeper...aside from Montana.

HenZoneNation
November 20th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Since 2001...

kalm
November 20th, 2009, 02:19 PM
I have your record at 5-9 for teams in the playoffs not named Montanta with five of those losses coming in the 5th round. The MVC has not had the variations of teams in that BSC has but their teams seem to go deeper...aside from Montana.

Are you talking about just the MVC at larges going further or are you including the conference champs in this analyis?

A BSC team other than Montana has hosted one quarterfinal game since 2001. How many MVC teams have?

Like I said, there are strengths and weaknesses for all conferences.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 20th, 2009, 02:35 PM
This could become real interesting if Weber wins this weekend. If they win, then they have a legitimate point to get in over EWU at 8-3. Certainly Weber's near loss to FBS Colorado State/Wyoming is better than Eastern's victory over DII Western Oregon.

However, does Weber deserve to get in over potentially 7-4 Montana State?

I think that if MSU wins they are in regardless of what else happens around the conference/country. They would be 7-2 against FCS and have won their last 4 games.

BSC Breakdown...

MSU: Win and in. Loss and would need alot of help. For starters EWU and WSU would need to lose.

EWU: Win and probably in, but a MSU loss would all but assure a trip to Lake Charles. Loss and like MSU, would need a ton of help.

WSU: Win and they have a chance. Would need MSU to lose and probably EWU too. Loss and they are obviously done.

The BSC will probably get two teams in the field, but there is as much of a chance for three teams as there is for only Montana to be in.

Go back and read the article with quotes by Jim O' Day, who is one of the committee members.

If MSU, EWU, or WSU lose, they're out.

If MSU wins and EWU loses, they're in.
If MSU and EWU win, MSU has a chance.
If EWU wins, we're in.
If WSU wins, they're only in if MSU and EWU lose.

Poker Alan
November 20th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Go back and read the article with quotes by Jim O' Day, who is one of the committee members.

If MSU, EWU, or WSU lose, they're out.

If MSU wins and EWU loses, they're in.
If MSU and EWU win, MSU has a chance.
If EWU wins, we're in.
If WSU wins, they're only in if MSU and EWU lose.

I still have a hard time seeing WSU make it, in your last case scenario here. Those 4 losses, even though all are 'quality', doesn't past the eye test when looking at the other at-large candidates (if Delaware wins this weekend, they possibly have a better case than Weber St does, as well, sitting with 4 losses)

Screamin_Eagle174
November 20th, 2009, 03:00 PM
I still have a hard time seeing WSU make it, in your last case scenario here. Those 4 losses, even though all are 'quality', doesn't past the eye test when looking at the other at-large candidates (if Delaware wins this weekend, they possibly have a better case than Weber St does, as well, sitting with 4 losses)

Delaware cannot reach 7 D-I wins... they played a D-II.

Poker Alan
November 20th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Delaware cannot reach 7 D-I wins... they played a D-II.

My bad, thanks for the correction.

09griz
November 20th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Alright, I've made up my mind.....None of you get in. Or only Eastern Washington. Either one of those (and only those) scenarios will happen.

09griz
November 20th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Why? Damn fine photography if you ask me.

Your depth of field leaves a little to the imagination......DOUBLE ENTENDRE!

JALMOND
November 21st, 2009, 07:40 PM
Finally the last week is here. Time to wrap this year up and move on. Three teams in the Big Sky have done just that last week. But the six others still have things to do. Two games this week involve conference teams and some serious playoff aspirations. Currently I am at 49-10 for the year. Here are this week's predictions, all are my opinion and all are open for discussion.

EWU @ NAU---The Eagles are hoping for a win to end the year probation free and on a four game winning streak. Hopefully that will look good for the committee and the Eagles can get in to the playoffs. First, though, they need to get by the Jacks, who had their playoff hopes ended last week on a snow-covered field at Weber State. Now all that is left is playing for pride and sometimes that is the best thing to play for...NAU 30, EWU 28.

UC-Davis @ Sac State---The Hornets conference season ended last week on the short end at Montana State, but that should not have put a damper on what they accomplished this year. They have one more chance to go out winners as they face off with their area rivals in UC-Davis. Close proximity means these two non-conference foes do not really care for one another, and that is what makes a good rivalry...Sac State 31, UC-Davis 21.

Cal Poly @ WSU---The Wildcats are still harboring playoff thoughts and need a win against last year's playoff foe Cal Poly and a kind sendoff from the committee to get there again. The win they can get, as this year's Cal Poly team is a far different outfit than the one that played in Ogden last year. The sendoff from the committee may have to be a wait and see...WSU 38, Cal Poly 20.

and the biggie...

UM @ MSU---Call it what you want. This game will be huge. The Grizzlies have done pretty much everything they've set out to do. They have the conference title, they are in the playoffs with the auto-bid. A win over the Bobcats will no doubt sew up one of the top 4 seeds in the playoffs, guaranteeing home field until at least the semifinals. For the Bobcats, it is a little bit more. They will need help from the committee, but the feeling is that they are in if they win this game. Obviously a lot on the line and shaping up to be a great game. The winner?...MSU 15, UM 10.

Playoff participants...Montana and Montana State.

2-2 for the year means I end the year at 51-12. Sac State and Weber State kept me from having a losing week since mid-year 2007. EWU winning is good as long as we can get three teams in the playoffs this year. Good luck to all playoff participants.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 21st, 2009, 08:33 PM
Correct Pick
Incorrect Pick
Actual Score
(-123) = Difference between predicted and actual point spread
APSE = Average Point Spread Error

EWU 45 @ 35 NAU
EWU 49 @ 45 SUU (-6)

Montana 28 @ 20 MSU
Montana 33 @ 19 MSU (-6)

UC Davis 31 @ 17 Sac State
UC Davis 28 @ 31 Sac State (-17)

Cal Poly 13-35 WSU
Cal Poly 14-47 WSU (-11)

This week: 3-1
Last week: 3-2
Overall: 50-13
APSE this week: 10.0 pts
APSE last week: 10.6 pts
APSE overall: 11.33 pts

ALMOST had my Davis over Sac pic to beat JALMOND by 1! Damn you hornets! :lol:

Kidding. Well played game Sac! I end the year one game back from The Man. I'm just grateful we eeked that one out against the Jacks. WOWSERS!!! What a game. We've got some serious work to do this week if we're going to advance to the semis. Some food for thought: EWU is 4-2 in the first round, all-time. :D

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2611/4122897653_a31d6c8695_o.gif

gbhmt
November 21st, 2009, 08:42 PM
Alright guys, what do you think for a sig?

One:

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p67/gbhmontana/BSCplayoffs1normal.jpg

Two:

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p67/gbhmontana/BSCplayoffs1invert.jpg

or three:

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p67/gbhmontana/BSCplayoffs.jpg

gbhmt
November 21st, 2009, 09:04 PM
Bump! I need opinions!

Screamin_Eagle174
November 21st, 2009, 09:06 PM

gbhmt
November 21st, 2009, 09:09 PM
Three it is! Anybody else that wants some BSC in their sig, feel free to use 'em.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 21st, 2009, 09:23 PM
Three it is! Anybody else that wants some BSC in their sig, feel free to use 'em.

xlolx

If you want, I could make something similar to what I have for EWU, but for the Big Sky. I got nothing going on tomorrow other than watching NFL. :D

Native
November 21st, 2009, 11:23 PM

Good choice! Nice work!

gbhmt
November 21st, 2009, 11:44 PM
xlolx

If you want, I could make something similar to what I have for EWU, but for the Big Sky. I got nothing going on tomorrow other than watching NFL. :D

Do it! All I have is Paint! Don't even have as much as MS Office at the moment.