Who has a better shot at the upset?

Montana St vs Montana

Delaware vs Villanova

89Hen
November 18th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Who has a better shot at the upset?

Montana St vs Montana

Delaware vs Villanova
MSU. Home, and they've done it twice this decade when they were a big underdog. Plus IMO...

MSU > UD
VU > UM

appmaj
November 18th, 2009, 08:53 AM
MSU

catamount man
November 18th, 2009, 08:55 AM
MSU

Keenan
November 18th, 2009, 09:16 AM
How about an option for neither? A lot of people jumping on the MSU bandwagon this week! xrolleyesx

PhoenixSupreme
November 18th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Looks like Montana's been slightly shaky with the close Idaho St. win and close Northern Colorado 1st half score. Montana St. is obviously better than those two schools and I think unless Montana gets it together, we could see an upset in the making.

profisme
November 18th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Plenty of room on that bandwagon for you too Keenan.

IaaScribe
November 18th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Starting to think that Montana is sick of hearing how bad it is and that the Griz will come out and make a statement Saturday.

profisme
November 18th, 2009, 09:41 AM
I don't think anyone is saying that Montana is bad, but MSU is on a roll right now and since they switched QB's, the offense has been playing much better to go along with the top Defense in the Big Sky Conference. I think it will be a very good game, regardless of who ends up on top scorewise at the end.

Ivytalk
November 18th, 2009, 09:49 AM
MSU. Home, and they've done it twice this decade when they were a big underdog. Plus IMO...

MSU > UD
VU > UM

Agreed.xnodx

GrizFanStuckInUtah
November 18th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Starting to think that Montana is sick of hearing how bad it is and that the Griz will come out and make a statement Saturday.

That is what I am hoping for. I think the Griz will be up for this one.

Green26
November 18th, 2009, 10:14 AM
While MSU could certainly beat UM--either because it's a rivalry game being played at MSU or because UM doesn't have a great game--I don't agree that MSU has the best defense in the conference. The MSU defense is good, but so is the Montana defense. The Montana defense has given up the fewest points (17.8, compared to 21.1). The diffference in total defense is tiny (8.4 yards per game). UM's total defense has been impacted by playing more teams with good passing games, as well as not having its top 3 corners available for games. All 3 of the top 3 corners have been hurt at times, one is hurt now. If mid-season all-american Trumaine Johnson is able to play, this will be big for UM.

Despite the change at qb, the MSU qb is not very good. MSU doesn't have a great offense, doesn't have a great passing game, and UM's rush defense is very good and shouldn't allow MSU to have a big rushing day. UM's total offense is 439.3, compared to MSU's 373.6. UM scores 34.7 points per game, compared to MSU's 23.8.

One can point to UM's game against ISU, but I believe that was just one of those games that occurs from time to time--and UM found a way to win it. Pointing out a halftime score (UNC) is ridiculous and no way to analyze a game. You need to look at the entire game, and Montana completely thumped UNC.

Montana's punt and kickoff returns and returners are much better than MSU's.

It will be interesting to see how the sacks turn out. UM has given up only 11 sacks and leads the conference. MSU has gotten 28 sacks and leads the conference.

UM has converted on 49% of its 3rd downs. MSU has converted only 34%. MSU has given up only 32% of 3rd down conversions, compared to 36% for UM.

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 18th, 2009, 10:15 AM

Do you really think Montana NEEDS a reason to get up for this game?

LacesOut
November 18th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Picked Montana State.

That's who I'm rooting for anyways.

profisme
November 18th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Green,

In conference games this year, the Cats' Defense has allowed less PPG than the Griz. UM- 20.7 points allowed, MSU- 17.6 points allowed.

When talking about injuries, you have to be joking if you think UM has had more devastating injuries to their defense this year. Sure UM may have been without their top 3 CBs at times this year. MSU has lost their top 4 CB's for the YEAR. On top of that, their two starting CB's now are a converted safety, and a true freshman. They lost an OLB for the year, had one miss several games, lost a starting DE for the year after the first game, had a bout of swine flu that cost them 5 or so starters on D against EWU, not to mention the fact that neither the K nor the backup K who is the punter both stayed home with swine flu that game and still managed to nearly beat EWU in Cheney. This group is still the top defense in the Big Sky Conference after all of that. Injuries won't be an excuse for the game this weekend, the better team will win and after the game, we will know which team is better.

Green26
November 18th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Green,

In conference games this year, the Cats' Defense has allowed less PPG than the Griz. UM- 20.7 points allowed, MSU- 17.6 points allowed.

When talking about injuries, you have to be joking if you think UM has had more devastating injuries to their defense this year. Sure UM may have been without their top 3 CBs at times this year. MSU has lost their top 4 CB's for the YEAR. On top of that, their two starting CB's now are a converted safety, and a true freshman. They lost an OLB for the year, had one miss several games, lost a starting DE for the year after the first game, had a bout of swine flu that cost them 5 or so starters on D against EWU, not to mention the fact that neither the K nor the backup K who is the punter both stayed home with swine flu that game and still managed to nearly beat EWU in Cheney. This group is still the top defense in the Big Sky Conference after all of that. Injuries won't be an excuse for the game this weekend, the better team will win and after the game, we will know which team is better.

In-conference statistics are not the primary or normal statistics to measure a team. No, MSU does not have the top defense in the conference. You can spew all your excuses or in-conference stats that you want, but that will not make MSU the top defense.

As for injuries, I said nothing about MSU injuries and made no comparison between the teams. The reason that UM's corner injuries are relevant is because it's 3 corners were not lost for the season, 2 played last week, and perhaps all 3 will play this week. Thus, they will be available to hopefully improve the defense on Saturday. You have obviously missed the point, as you are talking about players lost for the season. Of course, losing players for the season impacts a team, but since they are gone for the season, they are not going to be back for this game to help their team.

mcveyrl
November 18th, 2009, 10:52 AM
In-conference statistics are not the primary or normal statistics to measure a team. No, MSU does not have the top defense in the conference. You can spew all your excuses or in-conference stats that you want, but that will not make MSU the top defense.

I understand what you're saying. We don't normally measure team defense by in-conference statistics, but I think his point is valid.

The point of a conference is to measure a set of teams against each other. That's why everybody bangs on the CAA for not having to play everybody. So, to the extent that a conference record helps determine who the best team is, the in-conference stats may help determine who the best defense/offense is.

That said, I don't think UM will lose this game, but it is the most likely upset to me because (if for no other reason) it's at MSU.

IaaScribe
November 18th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Do you really think Montana NEEDS a reason to get up for this game?

No, not at all. But the whole poll drop thing is probably a little extra incentive on top of the rivalry.

WVAPPmountaineer
November 18th, 2009, 11:02 AM
If what I have been reading is correct, if Montana State wins then they have a legit shot at an at-large bid? - Correct? Whereas Delaware has no shot - So my question is - who is the most dangerous? - The team who knows they have a chance if they don't blow it OR the team who is playing their rival with nothing to lose? ----

Green26
November 18th, 2009, 11:06 AM
I understand what you're saying. We don't normally measure team defense by in-conference statistics, but I think his point is valid.

The point of a conference is to measure a set of teams against each other. That's why everybody bangs on the CAA for not having to play everybody. So, to the extent that a conference record helps determine who the best team is, the in-conference stats may help determine who the best defense/offense is.

That said, I don't think UM will lose this game, but it is the most likely upset to me because (if for no other reason) it's at MSU.

Sorry, can't agree with you. If you want to pick and choose stats, then let's look at the weather conditions. MSU has played more games, especially at home, in adverse weather conditions--which both helps their defense (and presumably hurts both offenses). I think the Cat fan is just trying to cover up stats like the 437 yards of passing that MSU gave up to Dixie State (who almost beat the Cats), etc. Conference games are obviously played at different times of the season, and sometimes a team is playing better or has more injuries than others. As a result, with occasional exceptions, the best way to judge a team is to look at the stats for all of the games. Statistically, the sampling is better. And again, the injuries impact stats. UM started it's no. 4 and no. 5 corners in one game. Two of the top 3, and hopefully all three of the top three, are back playing now.

profisme
November 18th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Actually, yes in-conference games are actually the best measure because they are against common opponents. By the way, in conference games this year, against everyone the Griz have played, MSU is allowing 291.6 yards per game while UM is allowing 381.9 yards per game. Couple that with number of points allowed and how is it that MSU doesn't have the best defense in the conference?

What I said concerning injuries meant that MSU STILL has the top defense in the conference DESPITE having those injuries.

Green26
November 18th, 2009, 11:11 AM
No, not at all. But the whole poll drop thing is probably a little extra incentive on top of the rivalry.

I doubt that most of the players even know where UM is ranked in the various polls, and whether they dropped or not. I don't think most of them even look consistently at the newspaper articles, other than perhaps on Sundays. These guys just focus on the next game, prepare for it, and work hard to win it. That's why Montana is so consistent and has so few let-downs. This is the coaches' and team's formula and philosophy.

Green26
November 18th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Actually, yes in-conference games are actually the best measure because they are against common opponents. By the way, in conference games this year, against everyone the Griz have played, MSU is allowing 291.6 yards per game while UM is allowing 381.9 yards per game. Couple that with number of points allowed and how is it that MSU doesn't have the best defense in the conference?

What I said concerning injuries meant that MSU STILL has the top defense in the conference DESPITE having those injuries.

Because MSU plays so many of its games in bad weather. Because most teams get up for playing the Griz moreso than playing the Cats. If MSU has such a good defense, why did it give up so many points and yards in the non-conference games?

Different subject. Why is the MSU offense so bad?

Grizzaholic
November 18th, 2009, 11:22 AM

MSU > UD
VU > UM

Big shocker there.

SumItUp
November 18th, 2009, 11:26 AM
I voted for MSU. If these games were played four weeks ago, I would have selected Delaware. MSU has more at stake for their season.

bluehenbillk
November 18th, 2009, 11:27 AM
MSU > UD ??xeyebrowx

89Hen
November 18th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Big shocker there.
At least you're predictible. xcoffeex

Anyone > Montana = East Coast Bias

Forget that the other half of my statement goes the other way. xcoolx

profisme
November 18th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Green,

I am not trying to cover up anything. The Cats played poorly against a D-II opponent while getting their butts kicked by a bowl-eligible FBS team. I am merely pointing out that yes, in-conference games are the best measure of how two teams might stack up due to playing common opponents.

The Griz offense in conference games is averaging 454.9 yards per game while the Cats are only averaging 388.4 yards per game. Large advantage to the Griz here much like it is an advantage for the Cats Defense over the Griz Defense.

Hoyadestroya85
November 18th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Push.. I'm going with Montana St. though because I have confidence in my team.

SpidersSportsEditor
November 18th, 2009, 11:49 AM
I doubt that most of the players even know where UM is ranked in the various polls, and whether they dropped or not. I don't think most of them even look consistently at the newspaper articles, other than perhaps on Sundays. These guys just focus on the next game, prepare for it, and work hard to win it. That's why Montana is so consistent and has so few let-downs. This is the coaches' and team's formula and philosophy.

That's silly. The Griz know that if they win, they get a top-2 seed and home field until Chattanooga. If they lose, they don't, and they know that, too. I don't know if it will make them "get up" for the game anymore than they would have, but don't act like they don't even pay attention to what is at stake.

I think Delaware could pull the upset if Devlin plays flawless and the defense plays the way they played against UR. The Nova secondary can be beaten and Devlin has the skills to do it, he just has to execute. I don't know enough about MSU to say whether they can pull the upset, but it'd be nice if they could.

89Hen
November 18th, 2009, 11:50 AM
BTW, I wouldn't put it past the Griz to take a fall to allow another BSC team in the playoffs... wouldn't be the first time. xwhistlex

T-Dog
November 18th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Both games are the biggest rivalry games on each team's schedule, so I'm not saying one over the other.

Grizzaholic
November 18th, 2009, 12:02 PM
BTW, I wouldn't put it past the Griz to take a fall to allow another BSC team in the playoffs... wouldn't be the first time. xwhistlex

Take this drivel to the smack board. Because it is just that, drivel.

Tod
November 18th, 2009, 12:04 PM

Really? xeyebrowx

89Hen
November 18th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Take this drivel to the smack board. Because it is just that, drivel.

Really? xeyebrowx
C'mon guys, it wasn't that long ago. Surely you remember.

Green26
November 18th, 2009, 12:22 PM
That's silly. The Griz know that if they win, they get a top-2 seed and home field until Chattanooga. If they lose, they don't, and they know that, too. I don't know if it will make them "get up" for the game anymore than they would have, but don't act like they don't even pay attention to what is at stake.

I think Delaware could pull the upset if Devlin plays flawless and the defense plays the way they played against UR. The Nova secondary can be beaten and Devlin has the skills to do it, he just has to execute. I don't know enough about MSU to say whether they can pull the upset, but it'd be nice if they could.

What are you talking about, Spider? I was talking about poll rankings. The players don't generally pay attention to the poll rankings. Of course, they want to win the game and get a better seed. However, I'm so sure that many, if any, of the players could tell us how the seeding for the top 5 or so teams is going to play out. They just don't focus on things like that. They focus on what they can control, and that's winning the next game.

I like Richmond and their fans generally, but there are some Richmond posters on this board who don't read very well.

Poker Alan
November 18th, 2009, 12:25 PM

[x] psychobabble

100%GRIZ
November 18th, 2009, 12:55 PM

Are you Freaking Serious!!! Time to get a clue!!!

UncleSam
November 18th, 2009, 01:01 PM

Sure and Delaware will probably take a dive to allow Villanova to get a top seed.

89Hen
November 18th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Are you Freaking Serious!!!
As far as you know. xsmiley_wix

GeauxLions94
November 18th, 2009, 02:05 PM
What? No Northwestern State over Stephen F. Austin?

Went with Delaware over Nova. Why? I don't know.

SpeedkingATL
November 18th, 2009, 02:10 PM
I don't expect there will be an upset in either game but if I have to bet on one it would be on MSU at Montana.xcoffeex

GolfingGriz
November 18th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Deleware...Cause I'm not picking MSU.

Walkon79
November 18th, 2009, 05:51 PM
All 3 of the top 3 corners have been hurt at times.

No fair playing the injury card. Our injury story beats yours all to h_ll

Walkon79
November 18th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Sorry, can't agree with you. If you want to pick and choose stats, then let's look at the weather conditions. MSU has played more games, especially at home, in adverse weather conditions--which both helps their defense (and presumably hurts both offenses). I think the Cat fan is just trying to cover up stats like the 437 yards of passing that MSU gave up to Dixie State (who almost beat the Cats), etc. Conference games are obviously played at different times of the season, and sometimes a team is playing better or has more injuries than others. As a result, with occasional exceptions, the best way to judge a team is to look at the stats for all of the games. Statistically, the sampling is better. And again, the injuries impact stats. UM started it's no. 4 and no. 5 corners in one game. Two of the top 3, and hopefully all three of the top three, are back playing now.

This to will be proven on the field on Saturday. No need to compare stats.

iceman4221
November 18th, 2009, 06:01 PM
MSU, but I don't think MSU or Delaware will pull the upset...

GRIZCLAW
November 18th, 2009, 08:24 PM

I'd like to say this is the most ignorant statement I've read from 89 Hen, but believe it or not, it isn't. But is sure ranks up there. Do you even think before you type this stuff or is it like when you take a dump and it all just runs out. Either end it's the same ol' crap.xnonono2xxnonono2xxnonono2xxnonono2x

paul1978
November 18th, 2009, 08:33 PM

A small statement from a small mind.
xcoffeex

griz&beer
November 18th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Both games are the biggest rivalry games on each team's schedule, so I'm not saying one over the other.

The UM MSU game is twice the rivalry. The other is just a game.

griz&beer
November 18th, 2009, 08:47 PM
I'd like to say this is the most ignorant statement I've read from 89 Hen, but believe it or not, it isn't. But is sure ranks up there. Do you even think before you type this stuff or is it like when you take a dump and it all just runs out. Either end it's the same ol' crap.xnonono2xxnonono2xxnonono2xxnonono2x

That guy is just fuct in the head, dumb as *****. Griz lose on purpose to the cats xlolx

NovaWildcat
November 18th, 2009, 09:32 PM
The UM MSU game is twice the rivalry. The other is just a game.

Agreed. Delaware is just another game.

UncleSam
November 19th, 2009, 07:53 AM
Agreed. Delaware is just another game.

Agreed, you have to have fans to form a big rivalry, Nova falls far short in that area.

bluehenbillk
November 19th, 2009, 08:10 AM
It's hard to talk smack to a 'Nova fan when your own smack just echoes back to you. When a 'Nova fan does bring it, it's usually after the game in the form of being under the influence & behind the wheel.

How many other CAA schools have been on NCAA probation besides 'Nova???

mcveyrl
November 19th, 2009, 08:20 AM

So should conference champ be selected by overall record? All the above would apply to affect the team's record, too, right?

jlcharles
November 19th, 2009, 08:32 AM
It's hard to talk smack to a 'Nova fan when your own smack just echoes back to you. When a 'Nova fan does bring it, it's usually after the game in the form of being under the influence & behind the wheel.

How many other CAA schools have been on NCAA probation besides 'Nova???

I'm sure you're referring to father Lazor, who passed a breathalyzer on the spot. Regardless, that was low. I had the pleasure of having Father Lazor for two semesters and am lucky to have had the experience. I don't think that kind of garbage is even acceptable on the smack board.

UMass had to vacate their final four because Calipari is a scumbag.

kalm
November 19th, 2009, 09:08 AM

Take it easy on 89hen. The czar thinks the Cats winning is the only thing standing between a 6-5 Delaware or the Patriot #3 and the playoffs. :D

elkmcc
November 19th, 2009, 02:10 PM
I can't wait to get 'Nova at Wa/Griz. We'll beat 'em by 50.

Silenoz
November 19th, 2009, 02:12 PM
I can't wait to get 'Nova at Wa/Griz. We'll beat 'em by 50.
Well, I don't know about that, but it would be a good game

GannonFan
November 19th, 2009, 02:14 PM
I'm sure you're referring to father Lazor, who passed a breathalyzer on the spot. Regardless, that was low. I had the pleasure of having Father Lazor for two semesters and am lucky to have had the experience. I don't think that kind of garbage is even acceptable on the smack board.

UMass had to vacate their final four because Calipari is a scumbag.

So he ran down UD parents and fans sober, and you're okay with that? Come on, that whole affair was hushed-hushed as soon as it happened. The guy was old, nova wanted to protect him, and it was what it was. I'm sure he was a good guy and all, but he came close to killing people after a tough loss. xsmhx

elkmcc
November 19th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Well, I don't know about that, but it would be a good game

You must have missed "Nova's coach's statement regarding the griz last year.

wideright82
November 19th, 2009, 02:25 PM

Hey, don't blame him because JMU got butter fingers against you guys!!! Not to mention, he meant Richmond xlolxxlolx

Silenoz
November 19th, 2009, 02:25 PM

I did actually, and I've tried to find it, to no avail xconfusedx

putter
November 19th, 2009, 02:32 PM
He said, before the JMU game, that beating Montana would be a "slam dunk" for Villanova.....

elkmcc
November 19th, 2009, 02:36 PM
He said, before the JMU game, that beating Montana would be a "slam dunk" for Villanova.....

He said they would beat the griz by 50.

wideright82
November 19th, 2009, 02:40 PM

what he said was. They would be a slam dunk for JMU and that Villanova could beat them by 50. What he didn't forsee was on that slam dunk Landers breaking his leg and the dukes turning the ball over 4 times. What remains to be seen is Villanova beating you by 50. there is plenty of time for that this year though.:D

elkmcc
November 19th, 2009, 02:51 PM
what he said was. They would be a slam dunk for JMU and that Villanova could beat them by 50. What he didn't forsee was on that slam dunk Landers breaking his leg and the dukes turning the ball over 4 times. What remains to be seen is Villanova beating you by 50. there is plenty of time for that this year though.:D

What he didn't forsee is that the Griz would stomp JMU on JMU's own field. East Coast Arrogance, nothing less. JMU was better without Landers that day and the Griz beat the #1 team on thier own field.

GannonFan
November 19th, 2009, 02:59 PM
What he didn't forsee is that the Griz would stomp JMU on JMU's own field. East Coast Arrogance, nothing less. JMU was better without Landers that day and the Griz beat the #1 team on thier own field.

Of course, only to get stomped themselves the following week by another East Coast team. xwhistlex

wideright82
November 19th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Of course, only to get stomped themselves the following week by another East Coast team. xwhistlex

East Coast Arrogance = thinking the #1 team from your conference would destroy the #1 team out of the big sky

West Coast Arrogance = Not realizing the 3rd best team from that same conference wiped the floor with them because with out 4 turn overs they were on the same skill level as UMass. Then turning around and calling everyone who thought JMU would win ECB supporters because it was so laughable xlolxxlolx

Richmond got a break by taking advantage of a wounded Griz. If the Spiders had played the Griz a week earlier it would have been a different outcome. Pay backs are a coming CAA.

elkmcc
November 19th, 2009, 03:17 PM
East Coast Arrogance = thinking the #1 team from your conference would destroy the #1 team out of the big sky

West Coast Arrogance = Not realizing the 3rd best team from that same conference wiped the floor with them because with out 4 turn overs they were on the same skill level as UMass. Then turning around and calling everyone who thought JMU would win ECB supporters because it was so laughable xlolxxlolx

The Spiders got lucky by taking Bergqist's ability to scramble away. The Griz out played the Spiders in the 2'nd half. Enjoy your moment of fame. It is about over.

wideright82
November 19th, 2009, 03:21 PM
The Spiders got lucky by taking Bergqist's ability to scramble away. The Griz out played the Spiders in the 2'nd half. Enjoy your moment of fame. It is about over.

Got lucky by playing defense..... interesting tactic.... I'll spread the word on how to stop the griz xrotatehx

Lucky for everyone else, is that outplaying in Montana, means not scoring until the 4th quarter and only doing it once xoopsx

moment of fame? You must be confusing me with a fan of a team who has had fame

elkmcc
November 19th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Got lucky by playing defense..... interesting tactic.... I'll spread the word on how to stop the griz xrotatehx

Lucky for everyone else, is that outplaying in Montana, means not scoring until the 4th quarter and only doing it once xoopsx

moment of fame? You must be confusing me with a fan of a team who has had fame

Says Mr Villanova with zero Nat'l Championships.

wideright82
November 19th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Says Mr Villanova with zero Nat'l Championships.

Start reading what is written. I don't need an echo xoopsx

elkmcc
November 19th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Start reading what is written. I don't need an echo xoopsx

I have read what has been written. CAA fans are so friggin' afraid of having to play at Wa/Griz that they will say and do anything to make Montana look less than they are. Face the reality CAA. You are coming to Missoula and pay backs are really a bitch.

Silenoz
November 19th, 2009, 03:41 PM

Wow, what an idiot. Clearly he knows what Montana football is, was, and is capable of each year

I'm sure I'm beating a horse that was already dead a year ago

Silenoz
November 19th, 2009, 03:43 PM

That's fine, the CAA "collective" is better than Montana most years. We'll have to settle for being better than each actual program xrotatehx

wideright82
November 19th, 2009, 03:46 PM
I have read what has been written. CAA fans are so friggin' afraid of having to play at Wa/Griz that they will say and do anything to make Montana look less than they are. Face the reality CAA. You are coming to Missoula and pay backs are really a bitch.

You do know the National Championship isn't played at WaGriz, don't you? xlolx

wideright82
November 19th, 2009, 03:46 PM
That's fine, the CAA "collective" is better than Montana most years. We'll have to settle for being better than each actual program xrotatehx

Yeah, except Richmond xrotatehxxlolx

elkmcc
November 19th, 2009, 03:49 PM
You do know the National Championship isn't played at WaGriz, don't you? xlolx

Don't you mean until 2010? xlolx

wideright82
November 19th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Don't you mean until 2010? xlolx

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx touche

Silenoz
November 19th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Yeah, except Richmond xrotatehxxlolx

I think you know what I meant

Mountaineer#96
November 19th, 2009, 04:18 PM
MSU........It happened in '03 and that put ASU out of the playoffs.....

GannonFan
November 19th, 2009, 04:20 PM

Afraid of playing at Wa/Griz??? Why? Heck, Montana's only 6-5 at home in the first round of the playoffs over the past 11 years. That's barely .500. Odds are pretty good that you can get the Griz at Missoula during one of those years where a weakened Big Sky has resulted in an inflated Griz team. Who knows, this could be another one of those years... :p

89Hen
November 19th, 2009, 04:46 PM
That's fine, the CAA "collective" is better than Montana most years.
Ooooooo.... you're SO close to finally understanding. xnodx

Grrrrriz
November 19th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Hey, don't blame him because JMU got butter fingers against you guys!!! Not to mention, he meant Richmond xlolxxlolx

Well, no matter how you twist it we did last year what no team from the CAA could do (especially Villanova, and they had two chances) None of you beat JMU, we did.....at their house, from across the country. They may have been down Rodney Landers, but he didn't play defense, and we torched 'em.

89Hen
November 19th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Well, no matter how you twist it we did last year what no team from the CAA could do (especially Villanova, and they had two chances) None of you beat JMU, we did.....at their house, from across the country.
Kind of like what UMass did to the Griz in 2006. xthumbsupx

elkmcc
November 19th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Afraid of playing at Wa/Griz??? Why? Heck, Montana's only 6-5 at home in the first round of the playoffs over the past 11 years. That's barely .500. Odds are pretty good that you can get the Griz at Missoula during one of those years where a weakened Big Sky has resulted in an inflated Griz team. Who knows, this could be another one of those years... :p

The Blue Hens will never know now will they?

Grrrrriz
November 19th, 2009, 05:20 PM

That was an awesome game. Even though we lost....Umass came in and played one the top 10 best games I have ever seen there...Up until that point I don't think I had ever heard Washington Griz so loud.

Silenoz
November 19th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Ooooooo.... you're SO close to finally understanding. xnodx

Oh, don't get me wrong, I've always known and understood. I mean there is a reason we lost in 2004, 2006, and 2008. The CAA clearly has produced extremely talented teams in the last decade. But, I still say the Griz are better than 9, 10, or 11 CAA teams each and every year (or even all 12 in 2004, we LOST that game! :o)

GRIZCLAW
November 19th, 2009, 06:10 PM

89Hen, you still didn't answer my question from last time. What will Delaware be doing this year during the playoffs. Yea, that's what I thought. ALL MOUTH. More like Czarina...xwhistlexxwhistlexxwhistlexxwhistlex

JohnStOnge
November 19th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Upsets are common in the CAA. Montana hardly ever loses in the Big Sky and/or to Montana State.

ngineer
November 19th, 2009, 10:57 PM
Actually, Lehigh has a better chance of upsetting Lafayette than either Montana St. or Delaware winning their games...;)

wideright82
November 19th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Well, no matter how you twist it we did last year what no team from the CAA could do (especially Villanova, and they had two chances) None of you beat JMU, we did.....at their house, from across the country. They may have been down Rodney Landers, but he didn't play defense, and we torched 'em.

Which is weird because you couldn't do what we have now done twice..... beat Richmond..... funny how football is, huh? xlolx

jlcharles
November 20th, 2009, 10:02 AM
So he ran down UD parents and fans sober, and you're okay with that? Come on, that whole affair was hushed-hushed as soon as it happened. The guy was old, nova wanted to protect him, and it was what it was. I'm sure he was a good guy and all, but he came close to killing people after a tough loss. xsmhx

Like I said, this has no place on here. Look at what you wrote. You're inferring that Father Lazor intentionally ran down those people because we lost to Delaware. It was a tragic accident. Nothing more. I don't recall any hush hush on it. The student paper printed a story on it. If this had really been hush-hushed, don't you think the school would have squashed the story? He was charged with careless driving as he should have been and I don't think the school allowed him to drive any more.

The insistence of Delaware fans to keep bringing this up as "smack talk" just shows how classless you are.

GannonFan
November 20th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Like I said, this has no place on here. Look at what you wrote. You're inferring that Father Lazor intentionally ran down those people because we lost to Delaware. It was a tragic accident. Nothing more. I don't recall any hush hush on it. The student paper printed a story on it. If this had really been hush-hushed, don't you think the school would have squashed the story? He was charged with careless driving as he should have been and I don't think the school allowed him to drive any more.

The insistence of Delaware fans to keep bringing this up as "smack talk" just shows how classless you are.

I'm not sure why you think this is smack talk. He wasn't charged with anything. It didn't even make the local press. He was not allowed to drive anymore, as you say, but that was it. I don't even think there was a formal apology made to the people who ended up in the hospital.

And sorry, I'm not all that worried about the definition of class from someone who fails to acknowledge the classlessness in his own fanbase. When I don't have to worry about groups of petty theives roaming the parking lots during the game then maybe we can discuss class.

UncleSam
November 20th, 2009, 10:55 AM
The Blue Hens will never know now will they?

They KNOW and so do the Griz.......... 49-48.... :D

jlcharles
November 20th, 2009, 10:58 AM
I'm not sure why you think this is smack talk. He wasn't charged with anything. It didn't even make the local press. He was not allowed to drive anymore, as you say, but that was it. I don't even think there was a formal apology made to the people who ended up in the hospital.

And sorry, I'm not all that worried about the definition of class from someone who fails to acknowledge the classlessness in his own fanbase. When I don't have to worry about groups of petty theives roaming the parking lots during the game then maybe we can discuss class.

It made the Inquirer. I do believe that's a local paper. He was charged with careless driving. (http://media.www.villanovan.com/media/storage/paper581/news/2003/12/05/News/Seven.Injured.In.Car.Accident-572654.shtml) As far as I can tell, this doesn't have a thing to do with the game of football. It doesn't belong on here at all.

As for the thieves, do you know for sure that they were Villanova fans, students, etc? No, you probably don't. But I hope they find whoever took your crap and arrest them.

Ronbo
November 20th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Well MSU has beat Montana 3 times in the last 23 years.

"So you're saying there is a chance?"
http://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/Images/Jim-Carrey---Dumb-Dumber--C10102378.jpeg.jpg

Grrrrriz
November 20th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Which is weird because you couldn't do what we have now done twice..... beat Richmond..... funny how football is, huh? xlolx

Oh, we have beat Richmond before, just not last year....you know in the National Championship game? You probably wouldn't, as you have never even been there, let alone won one.

jlcharles
November 20th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Oh, we have beat Richmond before, just not last year....you know in the National Championship game? You probably wouldn't, as you have never even been there, let alone won one.

Hopefully that changes this year.

Grrrrriz
November 20th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Hopefully that changes this year.

To be honest, I would really like to meet you guys in the NC, or in the playoffs depending on the side of the bracket we are on. I think it would be a pretty great game.

Skjellyfetti
November 20th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Well MSU has beat Montana 3 times in the last 23 years.

Or you could say 3 times in the last 7 years. xrulesx

Poker Alan
November 20th, 2009, 11:58 AM
They KNOW and so do the Griz.......... 49-48.... :D

The absolute coldest, most brutal game I ever attended... We could not follow where the hell the ball was at on the field when Delaware had it, and once we missed that extra point, we all knew we were done... Thanks for the memories xbangx

GannonFan
November 20th, 2009, 12:53 PM
The absolute coldest, most brutal game I ever attended... We could not follow where the hell the ball was at on the field when Delaware had it, and once we missed that extra point, we all knew we were done... Thanks for the memories xbangx

Great game to watch, well, assuming you didn't like defenses. In reality, the game ended the only way it could end - neither team was going to be stopped, so they'd keep scoring TD's forever, so someone had to miss an XP, and the Griz did first.

Hey, we UD fans can always say our team beat a Dickenson-led Griz team at Wa-Griz. Not too many can say that. xthumbsupx

Silenoz
November 20th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Colder than the Stephen F Austin game?

(I watched the UD game on TV)

wideright82
November 20th, 2009, 02:31 PM

Go figure another no chip reference. I know that. I was merely defending the "couldn't beat JMU reference" by pointing out the absurdity that it some how made the Griz better than Nova last year. Since, as you know, we beat Richmond, and you lost handilly. NVM.

However, I do agree with your next sentiment. I would LOVEEEE to play the Griz, at WaGriz or at our dinky little stadium.

jlcharles
November 20th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Go figure another no chip reference. I know that. I was merely defending the "couldn't beat JMU reference" by pointing out the absurdity that it some how made the Griz better than Nova last year. Since, as you know, we beat Richmond, and you lost handilly. NVM.

However, I do agree with your next sentiment. I would LOVEEEE to play the Griz, at WaGriz or at our dinky little stadium.

Preferably at home so I could go. Don't have the cash or time to make the trip to WaGriz. Even though I'd love to.

Grrrrriz
November 20th, 2009, 05:28 PM

The Griz WERE better than Nova last year, thats why we were in the NC, and Nova wasn't. If Nova was good enough to make it, they would have, but they didn't, in fact you didn't even make it to the Semi's. So that would make you the 5th best team..at best. Montana traveled all the way across the country, and beat the number 1 seed. They lost two games last year (one being the NC), and redeemed the other loss in the playoffs. How many losses did Villanova have? Your argument holds no water, because you have no facts to back it up..whereas The Griz do...As well as being the winningest D1 program over the last decade...Had you guys beat JMU last year, you would have traveled to Montana...and if you couldn't beat JMU at their house, there is no way you would have fared any better at WA GRIZ. I do hope we get to see this year....it would be a great game, but you will lose.

Silenoz
November 20th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Last year...
Could Nova beat JMU more than 5 games out of 10?
Could Nova beat Montana more than 5 games out of 10?
Could Nova beat Cal Poly more than 5 games out of 10?
Could Nova beat Weber more than 5 games out of 10?
Could JMU beat Weber more than 5 games out of 10?

Who knows, no point in arguing woulda-coulda-shoulda

Poker Alan
November 20th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Colder than the Stephen F Austin game?

(I watched the UD game on TV)

I did not attend this game, I would have to defer...

griz8791
November 20th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Lot of jawing for two programs that have never played each other.