PDA

View Full Version : Lafayette/Lehigh or Lehigh/Lafayette?

Leopard Loyalist
November 18th, 2009, 08:19 AM
One of the more annoying characteristics of Lehigh fans is their habit of referring to college’s most played rivalry as the “Lehigh-Lafayette” game. LFN, for example, always uses this formulation, and then there is that book--Legends of Lehigh-Lafayette. When does anybody ever talk about the Navy-Army game? Or the Yale-Harvard game? It’s always Army-Navy and Harvard-Yale. Clearly logic dictates that everyone should say “Lafayette-Lehigh.” Here are a few reasons:

1. Alphabetical order.
2. Lafayette is older than Lehigh (1826 or 1832—take your pick—vs. 1865)
3. Lafayette has played football longer than Lehigh (1882 vs. 1884)
4. Lafayette has more football wins in its history than Lehigh (648 vs. 628)
And last, but certainly not least,
5. Lafayette has the lead in the series, 76-63-5.

So the next time you encounter an Engineer with feathers glued to him spouting off about “Lehigh-Lafayette,” politely interrupt him and say, “I’m sorry, but the correct thing to say is Lafayette-Lehigh.”

Bogus Megapardus
November 18th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Let's start with all of you residing in the Lafayette Valley itself. Please insist that the proper order of "Lafayette-Lehigh" is taught to your children in elementary school beginning in the second grade, when youngsters first have an understanding of Good-versus-Evil and thereby learn to despise Lehigh by rote.

Pard94
November 18th, 2009, 08:27 AM
I actually think it is kind of a sympathetic courtesy. I think it was agreed that the losing school will be listed first to add some validity to that school. If ever Lehigh takes the lead in this series (not very likely in any of our lifetime baring some drastic unforeseen circumstance) Lafayette would be listed first as a consolation prize. Put simply...think along the lines of "ladies first".

Bogus Megapardus
November 18th, 2009, 08:30 AM
think along the lines of "ladies first".

Indeed, P94, common decency allows ladies, the infirm, the weak, the feeble-minded and the disabled to proceed first, so you do have a point. Certainly worth considering.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 18th, 2009, 08:33 AM
I always thought it had to do with "most recent national championship". 1979, Lehigh, D-II National Champions, get listed first as a result.

xthumbsupx

Pard94
November 18th, 2009, 08:41 AM
I always thought it had to do with "most recent national championship". 1979, Lehigh, D-II National Champions, get listed first as a result.

xthumbsupx

Nope. It's the "weak and infirmed" thing. See above and learn.

Franks Tanks
November 18th, 2009, 08:51 AM
One of the more annoying characteristics of Lehigh fans is their habit of referring to college’s most played rivalry as the “Lehigh-Lafayette” game. LFN, for example, always uses this formulation, and then there is that book--Legends of Lehigh-Lafayette. When does anybody ever talk about the Navy-Army game? Or the Yale-Harvard game? It’s always Army-Navy and Harvard-Yale. Clearly logic dictates that everyone should say “Lafayette-Lehigh.” Here are a few reasons:

1. Alphabetical order.
2. Lafayette is older than Lehigh (1826 or 1832—take your pick—vs. 1865)
3. Lafayette has played football longer than Lehigh (1882 vs. 1884)
4. Lafayette has more football wins in its history than Lehigh (648 vs. 628)
And last, but certainly not least,
5. Lafayette has the lead in the series, 76-63-5.

So the next time you encounter an Engineer with feathers glued to him spouting off about “Lehigh-Lafayette,” politely interrupt him and say, “I’m sorry, but the correct thing to say is Lafayette-Lehigh.”

Correct.. it should be listed in alphabetical order

Amhearst- Williams
Alabama-Auburn
Cal-Stanford
Michigan-Ohio State

It must be a massive inferiority complex that forces Lehigh fans to continue to thrust the incorrect nomenclature on the masses.

Bogus Megapardus
November 18th, 2009, 09:03 AM
"Aw, but Dad, they say 'Lehigh-Lafayette' on WFMZ-69 news, don't they?"

"Son! Watch your language!"

Pitz
November 18th, 2009, 09:31 AM
The only way to solve this is indisputable science.

"lehigh lafayette" (in quotes) on Google: 52,400 results
"lafayette lehigh" (in quotes) on Google: 37,600 results

Or we could just stick to "The Rivalry."

Bogus Megapardus
November 18th, 2009, 09:33 AM

How many results for "Lehigh Sucks?"

tribe_pride
November 18th, 2009, 09:47 AM
The ultimate authority on everything (Wikipedia) refers to it as Lehigh-Lafayette

Ivytalk
November 18th, 2009, 09:53 AM
The Crimson call it Harvard-Yale. The Yalies call it Yale-Harvard. I suppose Harvard-Yale is the "Google choice."

Edit: by a margin of 259,000 to 45,200, I guessed right!:p

Lehigh Football Nation
November 18th, 2009, 09:53 AM

xthumbsupx

Franks Tanks
November 18th, 2009, 09:54 AM
The ultimate authority on everything (Wikipedia) refers to it as Lehigh-Lafayette

Thats because LFN created the wikipedia page xreadx

Lehigh Football Nation
November 18th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Thats because LFN created the wikipedia page xreadx

A matter of historical record is that I did not.

tribe_pride
November 18th, 2009, 09:57 AM
I should have put the :D next to the "ultimate authority" I see.

Bogus Megapardus
November 18th, 2009, 09:59 AM
I said a long time ago that the wiki page needs to be edited. I shall do so following this weekend's Lafayette victory.

ToTheLeft
November 18th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Lehigh has fewer syllables, it just sounds better first.

Le-high La-fay-ette sounds more poetic.

Pard94
November 18th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Call it whatever you want...Lafayette owns the series...that's all that counts.

ToTheLeft
November 18th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Call it whatever you want...Lafayette owns the series...that's all that counts.

xnodx Just because people call it Duke-Carolina all the time doesn't mean that Duke dominates the series. The "on" the field is much more important than "off".

Pard94
November 18th, 2009, 10:40 AM
xnodx Just because people call it Duke-Carolina all the time doesn't mean that Duke dominates the series. The "on" the field is much more important than "off".

yup...76-63-5 baby! We own it.

Elon Fightin' Christians
November 18th, 2009, 10:44 AM
I am semi-local, grew up in Hunterdon County NJ. Its always been "Lehigh - LaFayette" as far as I know.

Pard 82
November 18th, 2009, 01:04 PM
How many results for "Lehigh Sucks?"

1740 (not nearly enough...) xlolxxrotatehxxlolx

ngineer
November 18th, 2009, 10:43 PM
I am semi-local, grew up in Hunterdon County NJ. Its always been "Lehigh - LaFayette" as far as I know.

My point from another thread...People think the 'pards are in "Loosiana" and not the LEHIGH VALLEY

Bogus Megapardus
November 19th, 2009, 05:43 AM
People think

Um . . . name them.

Pard94
November 19th, 2009, 08:17 AM
My point from another thread...People think the 'pards are in "Loosiana" and not the LEHIGH VALLEY

Stupid people.

Bogus Megapardus
November 19th, 2009, 08:25 AM
Stupid people.

Naw, don't be so harsh, Pard. One of them almost got into college.

Pards Rule
November 19th, 2009, 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonspider
1800 555 8355 Tell Me. You can call this and get score updates for just about any sport.

OMG! Cut me a break!! Call here and say "College football" and then say "Fordham" Jesus, no respect!!!

Well here is a real life scenario of that issue! Just update it and say "Holy Cross" instead of "Fordham" and see what happens!!