PDA

View Full Version : Charleston Southern Adds Former Mr. Football and former Clemson Tiger To Mix at QB

BJuice
November 17th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Former Mr. Football will transfer to Charleston Southern University (http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2009/nov/17/former-mr-football-will-transfer-to-csu/)

Clemson pitcher Richard Mounce, a highly recruited quarterback out of Blythewood High School, has decided to give up baseball and will transfer to Charleston Southern to play football. Mounce, a 6-0, 205-pound right-hander, was a two-time all-state quarterback at Blythewood High School. The former South Carolina Mr. Football led the Bengals to the Class AAA state title as a junior in 2006. The Bengals were 10-0 in 2007 as Mounce threw for more than 2,400 yards and 34 touchdowns in 10 games, but Blythewood was ineligible for the playoffs that season. He passed for more than 5,000 yards and 70 touchdowns in two seasons.

Mounce considered offers from numerous I-AA programs, including Coastal Carolina, Liberty and Western Carolina, before choosing Charleston Southern.

Mounce said he felt comfortable with Charleston Southern and likes the Bucs' style of offense, which is similar to what he ran at Blythewood. "I really felt God was leading me to CSU," he said. "Everything felt right and I know this is the place for me. I know I have a lot of work to do and I know there will be competition but I'm anxious to get in there in January and start working."

IaaScribe
November 17th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Interesting. How does this affect Toscano? Love his toughness.

BJuice
November 17th, 2009, 07:52 PM
I like Toscano too. He is having a very good year. He has done a very good job leading this team and has the potential to have a very good year next year.

Our QB situation as I see it and the impact of this addition...

We have two QB's right now that are Juniors, Toscano (starting QB) and our primary backup. Richard Mounce will have three years left and he is dealing with being burnt out from baseball.

Mounce enrolls for January. We get him in so that he can participate in spring practice. Then, we redshirt him so that he can have more time to learn the system and recover from baseball burnout and get back in football shape. That will let Toscano and our backup come back for their senior year. Then, Mounce joins the mix as starter for the 2011 season with three years to play.

kdinva
November 17th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Coach Mills trumps Coach Rocco.xcoffeex........what did Coach Mills present to the lad that Coach Rocco didn't?xconfusedx. Anyway, a good pick up for CSU.

ToTheLeft
November 17th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Coach Mills trumps Coach Rocco.xcoffeex........what did Coach Mills present to the lad that Coach Rocco didn't?xconfusedx. Anyway, a good pick up for CSU.

No Mike Brown/Tyler Brennan Combo that would be ahead of him. xpeacex

Keenan
November 17th, 2009, 08:32 PM

http://http://www.flamefans.com/forums/posting.php?mode=smilies&f=2#

g-webb1994
November 17th, 2009, 09:07 PM

Three words.....scantily clad coeds.xlolx

IaaScribe
November 17th, 2009, 09:25 PM
No Mike Brown/Tyler Brennan Combo that would be ahead of him. xpeacex

This, coupled with Juice's earlier post, makes a lot of sense.

SuperJon
November 17th, 2009, 09:51 PM

A chance at significant playing time. This kid told our offensive coordinator (former Clemson player, former CSU coach) that he knew once he got to Liberty for a visit that we'd instantly be his top choice, but he wanted to know what type of legitimate playing time he could get. Obviously with players like Mike Brown and Tyler Brennan as underclassmen, the likelihood of him beating them out was slim.

iceman4221
November 17th, 2009, 11:13 PM
Nice transfer/pickup for CSU Buccaneers

WVAPPmountaineer
November 18th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Former Mr. Football will transfer to Charleston Southern University (http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2009/nov/17/former-mr-football-will-transfer-to-csu/)

Wow, after his name has been bantered around so much I expected to read about Willie Korn ----

kdinva
November 18th, 2009, 07:50 AM
A chance at significant playing time. This kid told our offensive coordinator (former Clemson player, former CSU coach) that he knew once he got to Liberty for a visit that we'd instantly be his top choice, but he wanted to know what type of legitimate playing time he could get. Obviously with players like Mike Brown and Tyler Brennan as underclassmen, the likelihood of him beating them out was slim.
Thanks, makes sense............next time, I'll review the depth chartsxcoffeex

Sly Fox
November 18th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Congrats on the pickup, Bucs. I'll be curious to see if he beats out Toscano in the spring.