PDA

View Full Version : Which Coach Is On The Hot Seat?

ASU_MBA
November 17th, 2009, 05:19 PM
With the final regular season games just around the corner, who is on the coaching hot seat and why?

a few names come to my mind

Bobby Lamb - Furman
Chris Hatcher - Georgia Southern
David Bennett - Coastal Carolina

Discuss....

Silenoz
November 17th, 2009, 05:22 PM
I wouldn't doubt Jerome Souers of Northern Arizona after yet another late swoon

Then again, they may not care enough down there to even notice

Screamin_Eagle174
November 17th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Glanville at PSU is already out. Perhaps Downey(?) at UNC?

UNCBears2010
November 17th, 2009, 05:39 PM

If Scott Downing isn't canned at UNC, you're going to see quite a few angry Bears fans and a whole lot more that will continue to not care.

gokats85
November 17th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Todd Whitten - SHSU

The Kat Fans are furious he's still around. Under 3K total attendance for each of the last two home games. Time to push the plunger, blow it up and start again!

JALMOND
November 17th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Glanville is officially OFF the hot seat.

KiddBrewer
November 17th, 2009, 06:05 PM
BBBBBOOOOOBBBBBYYYYYYLAAAAAMMMMMBBBBBBBB

IaaScribe
November 17th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Bennett is safe, mostly because of the buyout clause on his contract.

PhoenixMan
November 17th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Bennett has been a good coach everywhere he has been....what's going on down there?

IaaScribe
November 17th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Liberty's rise hasn't helped. And that 36-player senior class from a couple of years back really set the program back. He admitted back at Big South media days that he had to adjust the way he recruited so he'd never have that much of an exodus again.

Keenan
November 17th, 2009, 06:30 PM
OK, so not on the hot seat, but maybe out the EXIT

Danny Rocco ---->>>>Liberty University xeekx

Can he continue to turn down FBS offers, especially if Wake Forest comes knocking? I certainly hope not, but one has to wonder how much more Roccotown there will be in Lynchburg? Any insight IaaScribe?

ncbears
November 17th, 2009, 06:50 PM

Downing. It's Downing.

813Jag
November 17th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Rumors are swirling in baton rouge about southern's coach being replaced soon. xreadx

I'm sure seat is warm at Jackson State too.

T-Dog
November 17th, 2009, 07:01 PM
It's interesting that both Furman and Georgia Southern both will have new presidents/chancellors in the near future (GaSo on New Years, Furman after the spring semester).

This might be the final straw for Bobby Lamb this year. As an App fan, I hope he stays there forever :D but it's looking doubtful.

Hatcher I think will be given one more year unless the new president wants to start fresh. If Sam Baker, the AD, is fired, Hatcher is sitting on the sun. Chances are he'll be given one more year (his fourth year) with a team of entirely his players to improve things. If no improvement, he's probably good as gone.

GATA
November 17th, 2009, 07:09 PM
It's interesting that both Furman and Georgia Southern both will have new presidents/chancellors in the near future (GaSo on New Years, Furman after the spring semester).

This might be the final straw for Bobby Lamb this year. As an App fan, I hope he stays there forever :D but it's looking doubtful.

Hatcher I think will be given one more year unless the new president wants to start fresh. If Sam Baker, the AD, is fired, Hatcher is sitting on the sun. Chances are he'll be given one more year (his fourth year) with a team of entirely his players to improve things. If no improvement, he's probably good as gone.

I agree totally. The reason GSU is so terrible this year is pretty obvious to GSU fans who actually pay attention (just me and like one other guy).

Hatcher's 2008 roster management was an absolute disaster...plain and simple. It was so bad that we're basically playing the 2009 season with a bunch of guys who should be redshirting or 3rd stringers.

Somehow we managed to lose Antonio Henton (our best player), Samir Baker (starting Running back), Leander Barney (starting receiver), Chris Teal, Demarcus Watts (starting receiver), Darrell Norman (starting RB/Corner), Terrence Hall, Nick Bass, Brandon Echols, etc...etc...etc...I'm even missing some players.

I don't know how you lose so many players in one year but somehow Hatcher managed to do it. In 2007 and 2008 when he had decent talent he was able to pull out some pretty good wins and at least keep most of our games VERY close.

now that he's got ****ty talent he doesn't have the coaching chops to win with sub-par players.

Unless Hatcher can bring in some real impact guys in the off-season then he's really in trouble. The heralded 2008 recruiting class should be turning into juniors in 2010 and most of those guys are gone...we'll see what happens.

We need to go after transfers, transfers, and more transfers. We need a quick influx of talent and that's pretty much the only way.

JDC325
November 17th, 2009, 07:12 PM
I dont know if GSU's Hatcher is on the hot seat for sure but our AD certainly is and should be.

http://www.firesambaker.com/

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=176030144656

http://www.gadaily.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1393:baker-protest-sign-raises-eyebrows&catid=1:local-news&Itemid=53

g-webb1994
November 17th, 2009, 09:09 PM
I can't see Lamb on the seat yet, or Bennett for that matter.

furpal87
November 17th, 2009, 09:13 PM
I think wholesale athletic dept. changes may be in store at Furman, but I think major changes will wait until the new school president comes in, but it wouldn't surprise me if a major defensive changeover happens at Furman.

CFBfan
November 17th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Kelly from Georgetown....0 - 10 going into the last game with a whopping 5 wins in 4 years. seems like a no-brainer

FargoBison
November 17th, 2009, 09:22 PM
I'll just say next year is a big year for Craig Bohl at NDSU.

IaaScribe
November 17th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Kelly from Georgetown....0 - 10 going into the last game with a whopping 5 wins in 4 years. seems like a no-brainer

Not for nothing, but does Georgetown even try or care about football? Doesn't seem like much of a priority there.

UNI Pike
November 17th, 2009, 09:39 PM
I'll just say next year is a big year for Craig Bohl at NDSU.

Does he have to have a winning season, or does it need to be more impressive than 6-5? How many years left on his contract?

UNI Pike
November 17th, 2009, 09:40 PM
I would have to think that Terry Allen down in MSU has to start feeling the heat sometime.

FargoBison
November 17th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Does he have to have a winning season, or does it need to be more impressive than 6-5? How many years left on his contract?

I want to say two years but I am not entirely sure. I'll just say anything under .500 and he is done.

Bogus Megapardus
November 17th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Not for nothing, but does Georgetown even try or care about football? Doesn't seem like much of a priority there.

Oh, they care. But the admission standards are very high and let's face it, they have crappy facilities, which turns prospects toward W&M, other PL schools or the Ivies. Plus georgetown has no AD at the moment and the head coach is unquestionably on his way out. It will improve, though, I am certain.

bluedog
November 17th, 2009, 10:14 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_aXwvjOCyM24/SJGjcFKnBcI/AAAAAAAAG9s/SdNUqAAcw8c/s400/Pete%2Brichardson%2Bfinal%2Brun%2B.jpg

crusader11
November 17th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Andy Cohen.

ngineer
November 17th, 2009, 10:34 PM

Exactly the problem. Tony Dungy, Bill Bellichik, Chuck Noll, ..you name him. No one can go into a fight carrying a gun with no bullets.xsmhx

ngineer
November 17th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Andy Cohen.

It's Coen. And, yes, the seat is pretty warm right now. However, a solid win over Laughteryette, could get him a reprieve for one more year with the excuse that this year's team is so young. 10/11 starters on offense will return, and 7 or 8 defenders, depending on medical redshirts. The other side of the coin says they're all his recruits, so what happened to all the , now seniors??? Down to 14 at this stage. Everyone likes Coen. His approachable, and the kids like him alot. Team has shown a lot of fight down the stretch despite a horrible season, which says something. I think it all comes down to how the team performs on Saturday.

Geaux25
November 18th, 2009, 12:19 AM
:The guy at Sam Houston...

I will never understand how that place doesn't win consistently.

Oh yea, because it's in Huntsville. :D

seantaylor
November 18th, 2009, 05:35 AM
Hatcher is gone. Sammy first.

DSUrocks07
November 18th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Not on the hot seat yet...but two losing seasons in a row (5-6 in '08, and potentially 3-8 in '09) will have some of the higher ups watching Lavan very closely next season...especially with a new administration coming into town.

ashram
November 18th, 2009, 07:35 AM
I think firing Lamb would be a mistake on the same level as GSU's firing of Sewak.

OL FU
November 18th, 2009, 07:38 AM
I think firing Lamb would be a mistake on the same level as GSU's firing of Sewak.

I agree. But the rumors I hear from people who talk like they are in the know don't sound good.

Check_YOSEF
November 18th, 2009, 07:47 AM
Jerry Moore...because as everyone knows, we are hot, hot, hot!!!!

813Jag
November 18th, 2009, 08:01 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_aXwvjOCyM24/SJGjcFKnBcI/AAAAAAAAG9s/SdNUqAAcw8c/s400/Pete%2Brichardson%2Bfinal%2Brun%2B.jpg
I think his seat is on fire.

UncleSam
November 18th, 2009, 08:15 AM
KC Keeler's seat, if not yet hot, should be getting pretty warm.

blueballs
November 18th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Hatcher is gone. Sammy first.

Baker MAY be asked to retire but it won't be until the end of the academic year come next summer.

As for Hatcher, GSU will NOT fire him after this season simply because the university can't afford to pay him the remaining year under his original contract AND shell out the coin to get a top flight replacement... ESPECIALLY at a time when the Board of Regents just announced a mandatory increase in student fees because of state revenue shortfall of 18% year over year.

I know the truth hurts but the numbers do not lie, regardless of how the "FIre Hatcher, Fire Baker" lynch mob feels.

GATA
November 19th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Baker MAY be asked to retire but it won't be until the end of the academic year come next summer.

As for Hatcher, GSU will NOT fire him after this season simply because the university can't afford to pay him the remaining year under his original contract AND shell out the coin to get a top flight replacement... ESPECIALLY at a time when the Board of Regents just announced a mandatory increase in student fees because of state revenue shortfall of 18% year over year.

I know the truth hurts but the numbers do not lie, regardless of how the "FIre Hatcher, Fire Baker" lynch mob feels.

There's no point in firing Hatcher anyway. We simply don't have any talent. Even if we went back to the option we'd be a 6 win team at best. We're in a pretty ****ty situation right now. We might as well let Hatcher have the remainder of his contract and maybe he'll luck up and actually make a playoff appearance.

At this point I'm kinda having fun watching us stink up the joint every saturday.

AppStsGr8
November 19th, 2009, 08:00 PM
I think wholesale athletic dept. changes may be in store at Furman, but I think major changes will wait until the new school president comes in, but it wouldn't surprise me if a major defensive changeover happens at Furman.

If Lamb goes, could you see Tim Sorrells as head coach? I know his Furman roots are deep and that he passed up at least one other offer to stay at Furman.

ngineer
November 19th, 2009, 11:17 PM
KC Keeler's seat, if not yet hot, should be getting pretty warm.

UD hasn't had a bad season. About where expected imo. However, UD should be loaded next year and anything short of making the playoffs could start some grumbling.

GeauxLions94
November 19th, 2009, 11:27 PM
One ax has already fallen ... Jay Thomas at Nicholls State is out

Thomas Let Go At Nicholls State (http://www.neworleans.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=266045&Itemid=2322)

Geaux25
November 20th, 2009, 12:40 AM
One ax has already fallen ... Jay Thomas at Nicholls State is out

Thomas Let Go At Nicholls State (http://www.neworleans.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=266045&Itemid=2322)

And the heads begin to roll in the SLC...

The guy at SHSU, according to much of the alumni, may be the next to fall.

GeauxLions94
November 20th, 2009, 12:43 AM
And the heads begin to roll in the SLC...

The guy at SHSU, according to much of the alumni, may be the next to fall.

First Thomas ... Whitten (SHSU) could be next ... is Wright (Texas State) after that???

Geaux25
November 20th, 2009, 12:50 AM
First Thomas ... Whitten (SHSU) could be next ... is Wright (Texas State) after that???

To me, Sam Houston has good reason to get rid of Whitten...

Nicholls and Tex.St...eh, not so much.

The conference needs more stability among its head coaches. This is the downfall of having a conference that is generally viewed as a "stepping stone" to many coaches.

appmaj
November 20th, 2009, 06:31 AM
With the final regular season games just around the corner, who is on the coaching hot seat and why?

a few names come to my mind

Bobby Lamb - Furman
Chris Hatcher - Georgia Southern
David Bennett - Coastal Carolina

Discuss....

All three of these are on the hot seat

bluehenbillk
November 20th, 2009, 07:00 AM
UD hasn't had a bad season. About where expected imo. However, UD should be loaded next year and anything short of making the playoffs could start some grumbling.

Correct, if UD doesn't reach the 2010 quarters or better, it could be the end of the KC era in Newark.

OL FU
November 20th, 2009, 07:06 AM
If Lamb goes, could you see Tim Sorrells as head coach? I know his Furman roots are deep and that he passed up at least one other offer to stay at Furman.

His is the one name that I haven't heard mentoned. Of course, I know zero about what they will do. Even though our success has been less lately, one of the reasons we have had success is continuity in coaching. I have heard some who think they are in the know say Lamb is done. I have heard others say not so fast.

Personally, I would be surprised if Lamb is removed that one of hs assistants gets the job. I would imagine it might be an entirely new look for Furman coaching staff.

OL FU
November 20th, 2009, 07:07 AM
Jerry Moore...because as everyone knows, we are hot, hot, hot!!!!

Interesting, if you move the date of this thread back five years, his name would have been on the list. My MY My how things can changexthumbsupx

th0m
November 20th, 2009, 07:39 AM
Interesting, if you move the date of this thred back five years, his name would have been on the list. My MY My how things can changexthumbsupx

Same goes for MM. Maybe not as extreme (3 NC's vs. 1 etc) but certainly similar. It seems like some of the JMU "faithful", if you can call them that, are starting to get up on their soap box again.

OL FU
November 20th, 2009, 07:55 AM
Same goes for MM. Maybe not as extreme (3 NC's vs. 1 etc) but certainly similar. It seems like some of the JMU "faithful", if you can call them that, are starting to get up on their soap box again.

I hope not. MM seems to have on "bad" year every three or four years. I would be happy with those results. :o