PDA

View Full Version : John Gruden has been learning from Jerry Moore

AppAlum96
November 17th, 2009, 01:15 PM
It's a good call by Gruden the person and Gruden the announcer; he has a chance to be good at it, as long as he remembers he's working outside the family now. I also really like how he's taken the year for some continuing education about football. We talked about the spread offense and how much he's learned about it from reaching out to college coaches. "I've really learned a lot from [Oregon coach] Chip Kelly and the Appalachian State coaching staff,'' he said. "I've liked learning more football.''

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/11/17/mail/index.html?eref=sihp#ixzz0X94gH8Jz

PhoenixSupreme
November 17th, 2009, 01:25 PM
I'll decline the SI subscription, thanks xlolx

PhoenixSupreme
November 17th, 2009, 01:31 PM
On a serious note though, it's great for Gruden to realize that the money and prestige of being an NFL coach can't necessarily buy happiness. He says he enjoys his job at in the broadcast booth not only because it allows him to learn and grow, but he genuinely feels like people want him to be there, which is a great feeling to have. Most of all, he is now able to keep up with his own family now and can spend so much more time with them. I think it's a very good decision, one that Bill Cowher and Mike Holmgren felt when they suddenly retired a few years ago.

AppAlum96
November 17th, 2009, 01:35 PM
I agree. And I like him as a broadcaster. Although, his decision will disappoint fans in San Diego, who have been hoping he'd replace Norv Turner whenever he is inevitably fired.

Also a bummer since if he were to take over an NFL team and install the spread, he'd probably be interested in drafting AE.

But I still think it's the right choice for him.

Oh, sorry about the ad, when I pasted the quote, it automatically pasted the reference, which I thought was neat, and I missed the ad. I'll edit it out.

DetroitFlyer
November 17th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Just another proud University of Dayton grad making good!