PDA

View Full Version : Villanova-UD Thread

Hoyadestroya85
November 17th, 2009, 12:04 PM
This game is a rivalry with a stupid (new) trophy and a stupid (new) name. Villanova has taken the last three. Does Villanova make it four in a row or does Delaware decide to play spoiler?

89Hen
November 17th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Just wait until next year. xwhistlex

Ivytalk
November 17th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Nova by 14+.

Hoyadestroya85
November 17th, 2009, 12:16 PM
and the next year and the next year and the next year and so on and so on

GannonFan
November 17th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Stranger things have happened. Always a tight rivalry and see no reason why this game won't continue the trend. UD's returning bunches of players so this could rightfully be seen as the first game going into next year. No real chance for the playoffs for the Hens but I'm sure Keeler can do a Matthews-esque job of selling his team otherwise. nova's clearly the favorite but if UD plays with the emotion they played with last week at Navy they could pull this out. I wouldn't bet on that, but entirely possible.

BlackNGold
November 17th, 2009, 12:19 PM
c'mon Deleware!!!!! I wanna Seed!

GannonFan
November 17th, 2009, 12:20 PM
and the next year and the next year and the next year and so on and so on

And before this current 3 game win streak by nova in the series UD had a 3 game win streak - things do turn the other way eventually, and this will soon. This year? Maybe. Next year? Likely. The year after that? We'll see.

93henfan
November 17th, 2009, 12:23 PM
I just have a feeling UD finally shows up this year. Every stat points to a comfortable Nova victory, but after seeing the Hens appear to give a damn this past weekend, I see no reason they won't still give a damn this Saturday, and that could make for an interesting game.

crusader11
November 17th, 2009, 12:23 PM
I'm a big UD fan this week; that's for sure. Hopefully with a Nova loss, we won't be pinned against them in the first round and could have a date with UNH instead.

soccerguy315
November 17th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Nova pulls away in the 2nd half.

UNHWILDCATS05
November 17th, 2009, 12:41 PM
I'm a big UD fan this week; that's for sure. Hopefully with a Nova loss, we won't be pinned against them in the first round and could have a date with UNH instead.

Bingo!! xthumbsupx

Hoyadestroya85
November 17th, 2009, 01:16 PM
If UD can throw the ball vertically, Villanova could have trouble against them. With that being said though, they'll need to give Devlin time to do so.

JMUNJ08
November 17th, 2009, 01:57 PM

Geography might just do you in no matter the outcome. UNH already has planes on stand by...:p

jstclmet
November 17th, 2009, 02:30 PM
I just have a feeling UD finally shows up this year. Every stat points to a comfortable Nova victory, but after seeing the Hens appear to give a damn this past weekend, I see no reason they won't still give a damn this Saturday, and that could make for an interesting game.

There is medication that might make that ache (feeling) your're having go away. Had UD won last week, I could see an inspired and motivated Blue Hen team coming into the Main line. With no hope whatsoever of playing past Saturday, the only motivation your team will have left is that "Battle of the Blue" trophy.

One of these days/years, you guys will get to hold it for a season. Maybe 2055 or something like that.

Come and enjoy the game on Saturday. Should be very festive. Bring the family, see some real football.xthumbsupx

aust42
November 17th, 2009, 02:37 PM
I hate to say it but Delaware loses big to Nova and end up with a 6-5 record. I'm not even gonna watch the game which is unheard of for me.

jlcharles
November 17th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Here's to a Nova win and a Griz loss so we can get that undisputed 1/2 seed.xbeerchugx

wideright82
November 17th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Here's to a Nova win and a Griz loss so we can get that undisputed 1/2 seed.xbeerchugx

I'll drink to a couple of cats victories this weekend!xthumbsupx

BOOOO MONTANA!!xlolxxlolx

Go...gate
November 17th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Delaware.

93henfan
November 17th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Bring the family, see some real football.xthumbsupx

I don't consider a team with no hardware to be real football. Maybe I'll come up and see some real basketball some day. xthumbsupx

Hoyadestroya85
November 17th, 2009, 04:08 PM
I don't consider a team with no hardware to be real football. Maybe I'll come up and see some real basketball some day. xthumbsupx

Virginia Tech has never won a national Championship and has a losing record in bowl games.. They Don't play real football in Blacksburg?

WrenFGun
November 17th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Crusader,

I think Villanova/HC is set in stone. Even a loss by 'Nova still means they're probably a seed, IMO. They'd have wins over 2 teams in the top 5 right now, BOTH on the road, if I remember correctly. It wouldn't even surprise me if Villanova were not a seed and STILL drew HC. I don't really know who would generate more revenue but no one wants to play in Cowell.

iceman4221
November 17th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Nova wins by 13...

YoUDeeMan
November 17th, 2009, 06:28 PM
There is medication that might make that ache (feeling) your're having go away. Had UD won last week, I could see an inspired and motivated Blue Hen team coming into the Main line. With no hope whatsoever of playing past Saturday, the only motivation your team will have left is that "Battle of the Blue" trophy.

Don't be sure about that. Spoke to McDowell, our center, and he says the team is pumped to beat nova and finish strong. They weren't happy about coming close at Navy.

If the Hens come to play, you might lose your seed. xnodx

YoUDeeMan
November 17th, 2009, 07:12 PM

Stick to Newark. Elena could beat nova's team by herself. xnodx

She has 13 points, 3 rebounds, 3 assists, and a block or two just into the 2nd half of her first college game. xthumbsupx

Oh, you meant the men's team. :D

caribbeanhen
November 17th, 2009, 07:17 PM
I hate to say it but Delaware loses big to Nova and end up with a 6-5 record. I'm not even gonna watch the game which is unheard of for me.

what you said, except I will watch it. Delaware is hard to figure, so having said that... a Hen win would not surprise me.
Delaware 23
Nova 21

caribbeanhen
November 17th, 2009, 07:20 PM

One of these days/years, you guys will get to hold it for a season. Maybe 2055 or something like that.

Come and enjoy the game on Saturday. Should be very festive. Bring the family, see some real football.xthumbsupx

hello Terence T

JMUNJ08
November 17th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Virginia Tech has never won a national Championship and has a losing record in bowl games.. They Don't play real football in Blacksburg?

UVA would say they don't but who are they to talkxlolx

LacesOut
November 17th, 2009, 08:27 PM
I think Nova wins.

Go...gate
November 17th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Crusader,

I think Villanova/HC is set in stone. Even a loss by 'Nova still means they're probably a seed, IMO. They'd have wins over 2 teams in the top 5 right now, BOTH on the road, if I remember correctly. It wouldn't even surprise me if Villanova were not a seed and STILL drew HC. I don't really know who would generate more revenue but no one wants to play in Cowell.

Agreed.

superman7515
November 17th, 2009, 08:31 PM

I recieved my season ticket holders letter to reserve playoff tickets today. As I opened the mailbox and saw who it was from, my first thought was honestly "This had better be an apology..."

GrizNzonecrazy
November 17th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Go Hens!!!! All of Montana is cheering for you this week!

Hoyadestroya85
November 17th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Well.. except the Montana St. people. Game Preview (http://novafacts.blogspot.com/2009/11/villanova-delaware-game-preview.html) (I apologize in advance for the terrible puns)

BDKJMU
November 18th, 2009, 12:13 AM
Common opponents:
W&M: UD lost @ 30-20. Nova won @ home 28-17 (Nova +21)
UR: UD lost @ home 17-16. Nova won @ 21-20 (Nova +2)
JMU: UD lost @ home 20-8. Nova won @ 27-0 (Nova +39)
Towson: UD won @ 49-21. Nova won @ 49-7 (Nova +14)

Stats:

When Nova has the ball:
#3 Scoring Offense (32.0) vs the #7 Scoring Defense (20.7)
#2 Total Offense (375.7) vs the #8 Total Defense (324.5)
#1 Rushing Offense (216.9) vs the #7 Rushing Defense (123.9)
#9 Passing Offense (158.8) vs the #10 Passing Defense (210.6)
#1 Passing Efficiency vs the #8 Passing Efficiency Defense

When UD has the ball:
#5 Scoring Offense (27.0) vs the # 1 Scoring Defense (13.0)
#7 Total Offense (345.3) vs the #7 Total Defense (304.7)
#9 Rushing Offense (118.3) vs the #3 Rushing Defense (81.9)
#2 Passing Offense (227.0) vs the #11 Passing Defense (222.8)
#2 Passing Efficiency vs the #8 Passing Efficiency Defense
http://www.nmnathletics.com/fls/8500/Stats/FB/2009/confldrs.htm

Nova should be able to move the ball both on the ground some and through the air to some extent. A big factor will be whether that can get a big play or 2 from Szczur (#2 in the CAA in All Purpose yards).

Without much of running game, if UD is going to move the ball throughout the game, its mainly going to be through the air. The biggest discrepancy is the UD pass offense vs the Nova pass D. If Nova doesn't get heat on Devlin, he will likely have a big day passing.

bluehenbillk
November 18th, 2009, 06:57 AM
UD needs to have a semblance of a running game & needs to play solid on D. If they play D like they played against Navy they'll be in good shape. I don't see Whitney as much of a threat. There is no home field advantage in this game, which is sad to say with the kind of year the Cats have had.

HenZoneNation
November 18th, 2009, 07:25 AM
I'm sure KC will point out tonight a few things about this game that will attempt to bring us hope and then slip into his weekly speach about the previous week's ugliness....something that starts with...the Navy game would have been closer but for the11th week in a row we must remember that Josh Baker and Mark Marcorelle were lost for the season and that they were two of the best players in the league but that we can't dwell on that because all teams lose players but that it did throw off our offense because Josh was going to fit into so many schemes and Losing Matt hurt because he's such a gifted athlete...oh yeah and that the CAA is the toughest conference in the league and he told Benard Muir that after every loss and that this is probably the best Villanova squad he's scene...maybe as good as our current squad whose 6-4 but should be better...an blah, blah, blah....(insert three more pages of run on sentences)

That being said...WE really hate Nova and hopefully that helps us end this season on a high note.

UD: 24
UV:21

UNHWILDCATS05
November 18th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Crusader,

If Nova loses and does not get a seed, I think I disagree. HC and UNH are under 100 miles apart. HC to Nova is 275 miles. I feel like HC vs. UNH (probably at HC) would be very appealing to the committee. Big stadium at HC, minimal travel costs and a big New England matchup that would draw very well... I dunno, probably moot anyway... but at the very least I would like to see Nova lose to see what the committee does...

GoBlueHens83
November 18th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Delaware - 21
villanova - 20

I think villanova is the better team by a long shot. However, anything can happen in this game. villanova has played spoiler to UD before, it's Delware's turn this time.

Hoyadestroya85
November 18th, 2009, 03:50 PM
UD needs to have a semblance of a running game & needs to play solid on D. If they play D like they played against Navy they'll be in good shape. I don't see Whitney as much of a threat. There is no home field advantage in this game, which is sad to say with the kind of year the Cats have had.

A couple things wrong with that statement (and a couple things right)

What's Wrong with your statement:

-Chris Whitney who you "don't see as much of a threat" ran for over 100 yards in the game against Delaware last year.. and your defense was pretty decent. He's the team's leading rusher, leads the conference in passing efficiency, has thrown half the number of interceptions as Devlin to go along with the same number of touchdowns. He's also rushed for two touchdowns and caught a touchdown pass last week.

-Re: Homefield advantage- I agree with you that we don't get a great crowd, but to be honest, you can't say there is "no homefield advantage in this game" when Villanova is scoring just about 40 points a game at home and giving up only 12 (both better than the season average.) Plus, for the *****ty weather we've had, an average of 8500 a home game (which is conservative.. i've been at every game) isn't too bad for our level of football. Villanova is 15-1 in it's last 16 games at Villanova Stadium and has won it's last six at home (only loss in the span was on a literal miracle.) If that's not homefield advantage, I'd like to know what you consider homefield advantage? xrulesx

All that said, I'm looking forward till after this week so we can be nice until next season xthumbsupx

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 18th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Go Hens!!!! All of Montana is cheering for you this week!

So is the entire fine Commonwealth of Virginia. Go get 'em Hens!

GannonFan
November 18th, 2009, 03:59 PM
A couple things wrong with that statement (and a couple things right)

What's Wrong with your statement:

-Chris Whitney who you "don't see as much of a threat" ran for over 100 yards in the game against Delaware last year.. and your defense was pretty decent. He's the team's leading rusher, leads the conference in passing efficiency, has thrown half the number of interceptions as Devlin to go along with the same number of touchdowns. He's also rushed for two touchdowns and caught a touchdown pass last week.

-Re: Homefield advantage- I agree with you that we don't get a great crowd, but to be honest, you can't say there is "no homefield advantage in this game" when Villanova is scoring just about 40 points a game at home and giving up only 12 (both better than the season average.) Plus, for the *****ty weather we've had, an average of 8500 a home game (which is conservative.. i've been at every game) isn't too bad for our level of football. Villanova is 15-1 in it's last 16 games at Villanova Stadium and has won it's last six at home (only loss in the span was on a literal miracle.) If that's not homefield advantage, I'd like to know what you consider homefield advantage? xrulesx

All that said, I'm looking forward till after this week so we can be nice until next season xthumbsupx

I think what BHBK was referring to is that Whitney is not that much of a threat in passing the ball - he'll be efficient, but let's be honest, it's not his arm that is keeping nova winning.

And as for the homefield advantage, people confuse homefield advantage sometimes with just winning. Let's be honest, nova has been good for the past two years - their record anywhere has been good. nova's been 10-1 on the road since the WVU game to open the year last year. If you're a good team, you win anywhere. I don't see how nova's home record looks all that different from their road record in the same timeframe. Come Saturday, there'll be about as many UD fans there as there are nova fans, give or take. What field the game is played on will matter little in the outcome. That's why there's no homefield advantage. xthumbsupx

Hoyadestroya85
November 18th, 2009, 04:13 PM
I think what BHBK was referring to is that Whitney is not that much of a threat in passing the ball - he'll be efficient, but let's be honest, it's not his arm that is keeping nova winning.

Did you see the Temple or Richmond games? If your defense stacks the box, C-Dub will pick you apart. His arm hasn't kept Villanova winning because he hasn't needed to throw the ball. When you're winning games by close to 20 points on average, it would be stupid for him to have gaudy numbers. Look at his completion percentage and yards per attempt.. they're better than average numbers.

jstclmet
November 18th, 2009, 10:02 PM
A little Nova Pre-Game motivation xthumbsupx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaGKY8A176I

bluehenbillk
November 19th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Did you see the Temple or Richmond games? If your defense stacks the box, C-Dub will pick you apart. His arm hasn't kept Villanova winning because he hasn't needed to throw the ball. When you're winning games by close to 20 points on average, it would be stupid for him to have gaudy numbers. Look at his completion percentage and yards per attempt.. they're better than average numbers.

I'll wager whatever you want he doesn't throw for 150+ on Saturday.

appmaj
November 19th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Nova

WrenFGun
November 19th, 2009, 09:46 AM
A little Nova Pre-Game motivation xthumbsupx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaGKY8A176I

Chad Kackert got stuffed 10 different times in this video..they forgot to show the scoreboard at the end, though. xthumbsupx

jstclmet
November 19th, 2009, 10:19 AM
More Nova Motivation xthumbsupx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JctccHPkg8&feature=related

Hoyadestroya85
November 19th, 2009, 11:57 AM
I'll wager whatever you want he doesn't throw for 150+ on Saturday.

If the game is within 10 points i'd be willing to bet my life that he throws for 150.. If it's a blowout, Then I'd say it's about a push. If it's a game with the Complexion of the Richmond game I say he throws for at leas 225. But I hope that he doesn't need to throw for 150.

mcveyrl
November 19th, 2009, 12:11 PM
So is the entire fine Commonwealth of Virginia. Go get 'em Hens!

Technically I'm not. I don't really care who wins this game, but if 'Nova, UNH and JMU all win this weekend, we'll finish fifth in the CAA behind all of the playoff teams. While this smacks of celebrating mediocrity, I'll take what I can get after the way our year started.

HenZoneNation
November 19th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Easy Easy-E I think the UD defense might have an answer for you guys this week. I've been let down before but a couple of our guys are probably playing their last game ever and are going to be roaring to go. I say Graves, Gilbeaux, and Higginson give you guys a little something extra this week.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 19th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Technically I'm not. I don't really care who wins this game, but if 'Nova, UNH and JMU all win this weekend, we'll finish fifth in the CAA behind all of the playoff teams. While this smacks of celebrating mediocrity, I'll take what I can get after the way our year started.

JMU is still playing? I thought their season shut down a month ago... xlolxxpeacexxbowx

(I'll be back to take my licks when we lose our 20 seniors next year)

HenZoneNation
November 19th, 2009, 01:27 PM
And most likely you're coach...but that's next year...this is this year...good luck in the playoffs...if you play Nova....I hope you crush them.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 19th, 2009, 01:40 PM
And most likely you're coach...but that's next year...this is this year...good luck in the playoffs...if you play Nova....I hope you crush them.

Don't be so optomistic about the coach part.

Right now we're living for December 18th. I'll worry about December 19th after that!

mcveyrl
November 19th, 2009, 01:46 PM
JMU is still playing? I thought their season shut down a month ago... xlolxxpeacexxbowx

(I'll be back to take my licks when we lose our 20 seniors next year)

Those are tough words from the one team in the top three of the CAA that couldn't beat us by two touchdowns.

Yea, that's right, I went there. But it's all I got...:D

HenZoneNation
November 19th, 2009, 01:48 PM
I think he'll be coaching in Virginia just not at Richmond...

Aho_Old_Guy
November 20th, 2009, 08:35 AM
I don't know if this is a good thing --- or a sign of the apocalypse :D

I was leaning toward UD pulling off the upset but one of the tech sites I frequent had this top banner ....

http://googleads.g.doubleclick.net/pagead/imgad?id=CKL715P3ku2GThDYBRhPMggD5CbaJlr7qg

'Cats eat Hens, don't they?