PDA

View Full Version : Glanville out at Portland State

JALMOND
November 17th, 2009, 12:00 AM
Several Portland media outlets are reporting that Jerry Glanville is done at Portland State. A news conference is scheduled for tomorrow at PSU.

www.kptv.com/news/21635487/detail.html

www.kgw.com

putter
November 17th, 2009, 12:18 AM
I heard that Pflugrad, currently with Montana, is on the short list. Should be interesting who they come up with.

I Bleed Purple
November 17th, 2009, 12:22 AM
Fired or quitting?

You know I've had concerns, Jalmond. Can't say I didn't anticipate it. Surprised it was this year and not next year, though.

JALMOND
November 17th, 2009, 12:51 AM
Fired or quitting?

You know I've had concerns, Jalmond. Can't say I didn't anticipate it. Surprised it was this year and not next year, though.

I thought something was up, based on all the rumors flying around. I was unable to say for sure yes or no if Glanville was coming back. I am glad at the names I am hearing about coming here. Most know a thing or two about Portland State and the Big Sky. We could use someone who isn't looking at this as a stepping stone for themselves or the team.

As far as fired or quitting, the sources right now are all saying "out". I guess I have to say what is the difference? I know it helps to know exactly if it was his decision or if it was made for him, but bottom line is we will have a new coach next year. Press conference is scheduled for 11 am tomorrow (Tuesday). Most candidates I'm hearing are still coaching right now so we do have time.

I Bleed Purple
November 17th, 2009, 01:26 AM
As far as fired or quitting, the sources right now are all saying "out". I guess I have to say what is the difference? I know it helps to know exactly if it was his decision or if it was made for him, but bottom line is we will have a new coach next year. Press conference is scheduled for 11 am tomorrow (Tuesday). Most candidates I'm hearing are still coaching right now so we do have time.
You're of course right. I think it means a whole bunch to his assistants. Quit and they likely stay. Fired and they likely go.

How healthy is the program right now? Glanville did not work at at all like PSU expected and hoped, which is unfortunate for the entire conference. Tell us about the rumored candidates and what they're doing right now.

uofmman1122
November 17th, 2009, 01:46 AM
I honestly think Glanville always wanted a win over Montana more than Ash did at MSU.

JALMOND
November 17th, 2009, 02:06 AM
You're of course right. I think it means a whole bunch to his assistants. Quit and they likely stay. Fired and they likely go.

How healthy is the program right now? Glanville did not work at at all like PSU expected and hoped, which is unfortunate for the entire conference. Tell us about the rumored candidates and what they're doing right now.

Some candidates that were mentioned on several news outlets tonight included the head coach at Willamette University, Lupfer from Cal Poly, and Pflugrad from Montana. Lupfer was Walsh's top assistant at PSU and obviously went to Cal Poly when Walsh was hired. Lupfer actually was slated to be offered the PSU job if Glanville turned it down in 2007. He obviously knows PSU football and the Big Sky. Pflugrad went to Montana from Oregon so he does know the state.

Secretly, I am hoping they take a look at Jim Craft, the longtime PSU assistant who has grown within the program. He was the only coach from Walsh's staff that Glanville kept on and was hastily chosen by Glanville to assume the OC job when Davis left and the first choice left for Edmonton right after fall practice started. Craft had his hands full trying to tweak Davis' baby to fit into Hubel's passing ability and Kavanaugh's running ability. The dropoff in the offense did not happen until Hubel went down with the injury, before that the offense was near the top of all the national passing categories.

I Bleed Purple
November 17th, 2009, 02:25 AM
Some candidates that were mentioned on several news outlets tonight included the head coach at Willamette University, Lupfer from Cal Poly, and Pflugrad from Montana. Lupfer was Walsh's top assistant at PSU and obviously went to Cal Poly when Walsh was hired. Lupfer actually was slated to be offered the PSU job if Glanville turned it down in 2007. He obviously knows PSU football and the Big Sky. Pflugrad went to Montana from Oregon so he does know the state.

Secretly, I am hoping they take a look at Jim Craft, the longtime PSU assistant who has grown within the program. He was the only coach from Walsh's staff that Glanville kept on and was hastily chosen by Glanville to assume the OC job when Davis left and the first choice left for Edmonton right after fall practice started. Craft had his hands full trying to tweak Davis' baby to fit into Hubel's passing ability and Kavanaugh's running ability. The dropoff in the offense did not happen until Hubel went down with the injury, before that the offense was near the top of all the national passing categories.

So here's the question, what's the reason for the poor records? I'm looking at broad answers and injuries is an unacceptable one. Lack of talent overall/recruiting? Bad coaching? Poor offense/defense scheme with personnel? Unreached potential? Lack of discipline with players (read: fundamentals)?

Getting a Big Sky guy with Oregon roots would seem to be the best way to get going recruiting wise. Or maybe that's the wrong way since all you get is Oregon's scraps. A guy with broader recruiting strokes maybe the way to go. Weber is turning into University of Hawaii-East right now. Maybe PSU needs to consider doing something like that. Then again, Oregon has more of a base I think than Utah does with one less FBS school to contend with.

bunny
November 17th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Here's another link with a video report:
http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattlesports/archives/185371.asp

Ivytalk
November 17th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Will Glanville land on his feet at a school with black unis?xrolleyesx

Lehigh Football Nation
November 17th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Just as a fan, it really saddens me to see that Glanville didn't work out at PSU. I hated him as coach of the NFL's Falcons (as a Saints fan), but it felt like there was so much potential up at PSU when he was hired. Maybe the Viking athletic department decided they didn't need more spectacle: they needed someone who can win football games at the FCS level.

JALMOND
November 17th, 2009, 10:58 AM
So here's the question, what's the reason for the poor records? I'm looking at broad answers and injuries is an unacceptable one. Lack of talent overall/recruiting? Bad coaching? Poor offense/defense scheme with personnel? Unreached potential? Lack of discipline with players (read: fundamentals)?

Getting a Big Sky guy with Oregon roots would seem to be the best way to get going recruiting wise. Or maybe that's the wrong way since all you get is Oregon's scraps. A guy with broader recruiting strokes maybe the way to go. Weber is turning into University of Hawaii-East right now. Maybe PSU needs to consider doing something like that. Then again, Oregon has more of a base I think than Utah does with one less FBS school to contend with.

I will tell you what I think. My opinion only, but it goes against what has been reported in Portland with regard to PSU football, just because PSU thinks Mouse Davis is a god on campus and can't do anything wrong. We were successful under Walsh and things were going rather smoothly. Then he left (went to Army, ended up this year at Cal Poly), and Glanville was approached with the idea thathe would handle the defense and God Davis would come back to Portland State, revamp the offense, and championships would start rolling in. After all, it worked in the 1970's, why can't it work now.

The thing was, the model was not broken when Walsh left. We still had a solid nucleus of recruits who could play the style that Walsh played. By the beginning of the first year, the offense had been totally changed to a pass-happy, run and shoot offense and the defensive scheme had been changed from Walsh's 4-3 to Glanville's 3-4 style. Davis envisioned the concept of the high flying, high scoring offense, when in reality, what concerned me at the time was the defense doing a good job of holding the other team, then Davis's offense comes on the field and passes three times down field , all incomplete and the defense is back on the field after just 20-30 seconds of rest. It didn't take much to see that the defense would be worn out by the fourth quarter.

This year, Glanville was hoping for a more balanced approach on offense and when he asked Davis to do that, Davis left, right after spring ball. Then, Davis' replacement left for the CFL during the fall. So, by the time the season began, we were going through another change on offense, the second one under Glanville and the third since Walsh left. Coupled with getting hit by the injury bug, that forced us to burn the redshirts and play 15 true freshmen this year (fyi, Presbyterian led the FCS with 17 true freshmen playing this year), 23 total freshmen played for us this year. Were we competitive this year? We were one play away from beating Weber State, one play away from beating Idaho State, one early play from being in control of the Montana game, one or two plays away from beating UC-Davis. That was with our young kids playing their butts off. The coach can only do so much, they can only teach so much.

Both Glanville and Chisholm (PSU AD) were not saying anything last night, both deferring to the press conference today. The assistant coaches were to leave Sunday for recruiting trips, but those were called off, so my take is that it does not look good.

Grizzaholic
November 17th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Glad this charade is over with now.

technocat
November 17th, 2009, 11:16 AM
I honestly think Glanville always wanted a win over Montana more than Ash did at MSU.

Not sure what point you are trying to make here. Glanville wanted a win so bad he would sacrifice being prepared for other teams. And Ash will have many more chances to beat the fizz starting this weekend. xeyebrowx

JALMOND
November 17th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Here's the article that was in the Oregonian today regarding Glanville...

www.oregonlive.com/vikings/

Deferring all questions to the press conference today.

Grizzaholic
November 17th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Not sure what point you are trying to make here. Glanville wanted a win so bad he would sacrifice being prepared for other teams. And Ash will have many more chances to beat the fizz starting this weekend. xeyebrowx

Apparently that trip up to the RESERVATION didn't help him out in beating the Griz.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 17th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Very interesting reading the comments in the article. They imply that Glanville is paid through next year with a $180,000 price tag. If Glanville walks, PSU eats the contract. That's a lot of money, especially for a FCS school that supposedly is struggling to finance its sports programs.

I wonder if the meeting was an attempted buyout (less than the $180K promised), and Glanville said no?

JALMOND
November 17th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Very interesting reading the comments in the article. They imply that Glanville is paid through next year with a $180,000 price tag. If Glanville walks, PSU eats the contract. That's a lot of money, especially for a FCS school that supposedly is struggling to finance its sports programs.

I wonder if the meeting was an attempted buyout (less than the $180K promised), and Glanville said no?

That may be why they are treating it as a something other than a done deal. Last night (Monday), KGW, who is a fairly respected news outlet in Portland, acknowledged that the source was "a close friend with ties to the football organization". Chisholm did sit down with Glanville, the Monday after football season was over last season too, so Glanville had to know the meeting was coming. The meeting was not a surprise so they could have just talked about the season and left it at that. There have been rumors even before the Idaho State game that Glanville was out at the end of the year. KGW, though, usually holds back until they get reliable information, so for them to come out and say Glanville was gone was good enough for me. We'll know more at 11 am today.

henfan
November 17th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Elvis has left the building. Honestly, he lasted about two seasons longer than I thought he would.

Good luck to PSU with the new hire.

I Bleed Purple
November 17th, 2009, 01:51 PM
So looks like he bailed. Or was urged heavily to bail.

Interesting Mouse Davis quote, "[Today's] a good day for PSU football, because this will clean it up and give them a chance to get a new start on the program and getting it going.

"Obviously, you'd like to have some continuation, but you surely don't want any continuation of the offense they had this year. You'd like to have that cleaned up. And the defense has [sic] been too sparkling, either."

I don't know, seems likes veiled grousing from Davis there. His offense is way too one dimensional for my tastes, and seemingly Glanville's taste as well. Hopefully the new coach won't have Davis micromanaging everything he does.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 17th, 2009, 02:03 PM
In a way, man, was there no patience with the move to a more balanced offense. The OC bails before the season begins, they have to scramble to make things work for this year, and then they can Glanville with a year left on his contract.

And the way it sounds - with the "eminise grise" Mouse Davis seemingly calling the shots - who's going to want to come in there and try to win? Isn't the message - "win my way - and quickly" - or you're gone?

JALMOND
November 17th, 2009, 02:13 PM
In a way, man, was there no patience with the move to a more balanced offense. The OC bails before the season begins, they have to scramble to make things work for this year, and then they can Glanville with a year left on his contract.

And the way it sounds - with the "eminise grise" Mouse Davis seemingly calling the shots - who's going to want to come in there and try to win? Isn't the message - "win my way - and quickly" - or you're gone?

I tend to agree with you. Davis is a god on the PSU campus and one had to wonder if PSU was excited getting Glanville or if they were only excited that Davis was coming for one last hurrah. These people need to realize that this is not the 1970's anymore, a move to the WAC will cause more problems, and Davis does not have all the answers. Davis basically set Glanville up to fail, and he left before so he could come out of the manure pile smelling like a rose (and Glanville smelling like something else). Continuous potshots throughout the year obviously did not help Glanville in the eyes of the PSU boosters either.

Glanville quits so I think he forfeits the last year of pay. Damn, the season just got over and next year just got interesting.xconfusedx

09griz
November 17th, 2009, 02:35 PM
I think that psu may have given him a bit too much credit due to his former resume but college ball is an entirely different animal after that many years in the NFL. Also he's been known to make bad coaching mistakes in the past (see: Brett Favre)

slostang
November 17th, 2009, 04:26 PM
I bet Walsh looks better to most PSU fans after three years with Glanville.

I hope that Lupfer sticks around Cal Poly. I know he is well like and respected by the players. If not PSU, he will be a head coach some where soon. He is a very good coach.

UNCBears2010
November 17th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Scott Downing, Jay Hinrichs: Take notes, this is what you do when you have a coach that doesn't win.

Bogus Megapardus
November 17th, 2009, 04:44 PM
For the uninitiated, can someone provide the twenty-five-words-or-less version of the substance of Jerry Glanville's difficulties at Portland State?

DavisAggie
November 17th, 2009, 05:03 PM
0-3 against some pretty bad UC Davis teams, that has to hurt (2 at home)

JALMOND
November 17th, 2009, 05:58 PM
For the uninitiated, can someone provide the twenty-five-words-or-less version of the substance of Jerry Glanville's difficulties at Portland State?

9-25 in three seasons at Portland State is what the record will show. If you want more, let me know.:D

slostang
November 17th, 2009, 06:49 PM
9-25 in three seasons at Portland State is what the record will show. If you want more, let me know.:D

The year before he arrived PSU was 7-4 with three FBS teams on the schedule.

JALMOND
November 17th, 2009, 06:53 PM
The year before he arrived PSU was 7-4 with three FBS teams on the schedule.

That PSU team in 2006 was the best team we had since joining I-AA/FCS. Even better than the 2000 team that made the playoffs.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 18th, 2009, 08:26 AM

You could also say: "Mouse Davis, Mouse Davis, Mouse".

bpcats
November 18th, 2009, 09:31 AM
1st year - the offensive defensive scheme for the most part did not fit the personnel that Glanville and Mouse Davis wanted when going from power running game to wide open attack.

2nd year - Had relatively young team as they tried to infuse talent but team still had problems implementing offense and executing

3rd year - inconsistent - trying to learn how to win on a consistent basis.

4th year - had youngest team in FCS , change in coordinators, team just didn't learn how to win a game or put a string of games together.

I think that talent was improving but the team has to pull together and get it done and just didn't.

JALMOND
November 18th, 2009, 11:11 PM
1st year - the offensive defensive scheme for the most part did not fit the personnel that Glanville and Mouse Davis wanted when going from power running game to wide open attack.

2nd year - Had relatively young team as they tried to infuse talent but team still had problems implementing offense and executing

3rd year - inconsistent - trying to learn how to win on a consistent basis.

4th year - had youngest team in FCS , change in coordinators, team just didn't learn how to win a game or put a string of games together.

I think that talent was improving but the team has to pull together and get it done and just didn't.

Glanville was only at PSU for three years.

I Bleed Purple
November 19th, 2009, 01:04 AM
Glanville was only at PSU for three years.

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Would it then be logical to say he made all that up on the spot?

The odd thing is that from my perspective, PSU was better than their record under Glanville. Had the record game, than the wild comeback and than the fourth down conversion game.