PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League Coaching Carousel

carney2
November 16th, 2009, 01:39 PM
It was mentioned in another thread that some of the coaches in the Patriot League are - or should be - on thin ice. What think you?

BUCKNELL - Tim Landis has been in Buffalo for years and continues to field bottom feeders. No hint of a fire being lit under him, but there probably should be. Perhaps an indication of where football actually rates in Buffalo?

COLGATE - Dick Biddle and his retirement gold watch will leave the tundra together.

FORDHAM - In my opinion, Tom Masella has done a terrible job the past two years. He is however, captain of a ship heading into play for pay waters, and there is no indication that the wolves are at his door. Should they be?

GEORGETOWN - It is very difficult to sort coaching deficiencies from the rest of that bottomless pit in DC. Still, Kelly hasn't done much to raise the level of achievement. If he isn't gone, it may be just another indication of the apathy that surrounds everything pigskin related in Hoyaville.

HOLY CROSS - If Tom Gilmore isn't on the first plane out of Woo, someone needs to double check his IQ scores. This thing is going down, down, down, post Randolph. No need to go down with the ship, captain.

LAFAYETTE - Frank Tavani is another guy at his last stop on the coaching trail. Unless things go south in a hurry, there is no reason to believe that he can't call his own shots for the end of days.

LEHIGH - The faithful on this board see Saturday as Andy Coen's last day in a dung brown shirt. It will be interesting to see how the less emotional and less athletically inclined administrators who actually make these decisions view this.

RichH2
November 16th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Agree almost across the board.Gilmore out and up. Landis out. Massella and Coen, their *sses are on fire. Expect at minimum big changes at both schools . GU would be out but who is going to take that job? No money or prospects of any. A black hole for any ambitious coach.
Tavani and Biddle deservedlycan name their own date of retirement

Pard4Life
November 16th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Masella should go. More was expected from Fordham. Losses to Bryant and Columbia? Crikey...

TheValleyRaider
November 16th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Completely random, and highly, highly unlikely thought:

Gilmore came from Lembo's staff on South Mountain. Could (and more importantly, would) Lehigh try to woo him back?

Fordham
November 16th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Masella not anywhere near to being in as hot a seat as Coen (not to mention the fact that he actually beat Bryant (fyi) ). If Coen had one PL title in these years I'd bet he'd have a longer leash. Add to it the completely different recent histories of our programs and it's clear that they are not anywhere near being in the same position. Not that it means that Masella didn't have an incredibly disappointing 2 year skid here ...

Not sure what to make of Landis and Kelly. It's clear that the programs don't really support the team but how do you allow someone with these results to stay on?

Agreed on Gilmore being gone and Tavani & Biddle having lifetime contracts.

Franks Tanks
November 16th, 2009, 03:31 PM

Gilmore came from Lembo's staff on South Mountain. Could (and more importantly, would) Lehigh try to woo him back?

It wouldnt be completely unreasonable, but I would think Lehigh would have to offer him a much better salary and admin support and I dont think they have the ability to do that. Otherwise it is a completely lateral move.

Would Gilmore leave to be the HC of a CAA school? The DC of a good FBS school? The HC at a crappy FBS school?

What is his next move?

carney2
November 16th, 2009, 03:36 PM
It wouldnt be completely unreasonable, but I would think Lehigh would have to offer him a much better salary and admin support and I dont think they have the ability to do that. Otherwise it is a completely lateral move.

Would Gilmore leave to be the HC of a CAA school? The DC of a good FBS school? The HC at a crappy FBS school?

What is his next move?

All of this begs the question, just how good is Tom Gilmore, and what do his peers think of him? In other words, will he have any real options later this month? I have no idea, but have to think that maybe a coach who is totally reliant on one player is, if not suspect, not a real hot commodity. If he stays at the Cross, the obvious conclusion is that his options were not all that good.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 16th, 2009, 03:42 PM
If Coen had one PL title in these years I'd bet he'd have a longer leash.

Not that I disagree, but technically, he did win a co-championship with Lafayette his first year as HC. It didn't feel like a championship since Lafayette won "The Rivalry" and the autobid, but regardless it was a championship.

This goes back to a thread I mentioned a few weeks ago about Lehigh being a "pressure cooker" for a head coach.

Fordham simply has no pressure to win football games - their games are rarely covered and the only groundswell might come from football alums and/or message boards, all of whom are in awe of Masella's seeming manipulation to bring Fordham into the land of "full" scholarships.

Lehigh, until recently, has had expectations of winning the Patriot League every single year, and always has the expectations of beating "that school in Easton". If you don't accomplish at least the latter, your butt is in the hot seat. It's just not the same pressure as Fordham (or Georgetown, Bucknell, or Holy Cross for that matter).

Fordham
November 16th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Not that I disagree, but technically, he did win a co-championship with Lafayette his first year as HC. It didn't feel like a championship since Lafayette won "The Rivalry" and the autobid, but regardless it was a championship.

This goes back to a thread I mentioned a few weeks ago about Lehigh being a "pressure cooker" for a head coach.

Fordham simply has no pressure to win football games - their games are rarely covered and the only groundswell might come from football alums and/or message boards, all of whom are in awe of Masella's seeming manipulation to bring Fordham into the land of "full" scholarships.

Lehigh, until recently, has had expectations of winning the Patriot League every single year, and always has the expectations of beating "that school in Easton". If you don't accomplish at least the latter, your butt is in the hot seat. It's just not the same pressure as Fordham (or Georgetown, Bucknell, or Holy Cross for that matter).

agreed 100% and thanks for the clarification on the title. Additionally, the dynamics that led to his predecessor leaving are difficult for Coen. The last guy was thought to be run out of town for not winning the big one and then has gone on to great success (overall) at a scholarship school. It makes it very difficult to agree to another year of these type of results when the previous guy was pushed out despite doing so much better.

your last line of the Fordham simply paragraph ends in a bit of a mocking tone but the thrust of it is accurate. At Fordham the alums are much more important and always fearful of football getting cut/abandoned. Getting scholarships is viewed as a move that cements the school's commitment to the program (accurate or not) and, as the one who 'sold' the idea to the university so well, he gets (and deserves imo) the credit.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 16th, 2009, 05:05 PM
agreed 100% and thanks for the clarification on the title. Additionally, the dynamics that led to his predecessor leaving are difficult for Coen. The last guy was thought to be run out of town for not winning the big one and then has gone on to great success (overall) at a scholarship school. It makes it very difficult to agree to another year of these type of results when the previous guy was pushed out despite doing so much better.

your last line of the Fordham simply paragraph ends in a bit of a mocking tone but the thrust of it is accurate. At Fordham the alums are much more important and always fearful of football getting cut/abandoned. Getting scholarships is viewed as a move that cements the school's commitment to the program (accurate or not) and, as the one who 'sold' the idea to the university so well, he gets (and deserves imo) the credit.

I didn't mean to make a mocking tone of Masella - just that it's not clear who was the thrust behind scholarships, McLaughlin, Masella, or someone else.

I certainly don't mean to mock a guy who could very well save Patriot League football. Sorry if it came out that way.

crusader11
November 16th, 2009, 05:56 PM
If he stays at the Cross, the obvious conclusion is that his options were not all that good.

Or he loves the program he built, is happy at Holy Cross, and sees a bright future ahead...quit being so cynical.

Lehigh74
November 16th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Carney, as usual, you have started another thought provoking thread. However, I must comment on your description of one of Lehigh's school colors as being "dung" brown. Years ago I would have agreed with you whole heartedly. However, in the last few years something amazing has happened to the color brown. It is actually a hot color. Women describe brown as being "the new black". Stroll through a mall and you will see brown clothing displayed in every store. Walk down the street in a fashionable place like NYC you will see large numbers of men and women wearing brown but virtually no one wearing maroon (which by the way is the primary school color of our Patriot League brethren Colgate and Lafayette). I submit to you that maroon is a hideous color and has now far surpassed brown as the ugliest school color in the Patriot League.

In another thread, someone raised the interesting question about whether Lehigh fans would actually want to see a win Saturday if it meant Andy Coen would be back as head coach again next season. I like Andy but, at this point, I'm totally convinced that he is never going to develop into a successful head coach. A painful as it might be, I think I would actually chose to sit through a Lafayette win on Saturday if it meant that a coaching change would be made.

Fordham
November 16th, 2009, 06:29 PM
I didn't mean to make a mocking tone of Masella - just that it's not clear who was the thrust behind scholarships, McLaughlin, Masella, or someone else.

I certainly don't mean to mock a guy who could very well save Patriot League football. Sorry if it came out that way.

Wasn't incredibly offended at all - just pointing out how I read it ... but thanks for the clarification.

From my distance to the decision making process at Fordham - Masella was integral and the entire conversation came to fruition extremely quickly following his interest in the lower paying (but clearly many other much better benefits) UMASS job.

DFW HOYA
November 16th, 2009, 07:11 PM
GEORGETOWN - It is very difficult to sort coaching deficiencies from the rest of that bottomless pit in DC. Still, Kelly hasn't done much to raise the level of achievement. If he isn't gone, it may be just another indication of the apathy that surrounds everything pigskin related in Hoyaville.

Let's distinguish apathy from timing.

The athletic director's position at Georgetown has been held on an interim basis for six months since Bernard Muir left in April for Delaware. It raises the question whether a major coaching decision (and football is one of the four major coaching positions at GU along with men's basketball, track, and men's lacrosse) should made 1) prior to hiring a new AD (in which case a decision is made outside his future strategy, as was men's basketball before Muir arrived), 2) in consultation with an AD (in the unlikely event he is signed and quietly waiting to move), or 3) after he arrives, in which case the staff has at least another year.

In the end, that's a University decision and not one for fans or alumni.

No easy answer.

Bogus Megapardus
November 16th, 2009, 07:12 PM
I'm either confused or badly informed, or both: Why is it thought that Tom Gilmore is leaving Holy Cross? It it because he reads the writing on the scholarship issue? If HC wins a Round 1 playoff game, does that make a difference, or does it just raise his stock and visibility? When is his contract up?

Sader87
November 16th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Gilmore to ND?

ngineer
November 16th, 2009, 10:26 PM

What is his next move?

I believe he submitted application for the Yale job. He's an Ivy Leaguer, so maybe he's looking to the IL as well. Lehigh would be very interested in taking Gilmore back. We were upset when he left. Tom as the HC and bring in Phil Stambaugh to coach up the QBs.

If Coen goes, Cecchini is also on a short list.

ngineer
November 16th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Unless Landis is looking to leave BU, I don't see him getting fired. There is no fire in Lewisburg for football. Run a clean program, be competitive and they seem to be satisfied.

The Gilmore speculation is just that, based upon the perception that the 'Post Randolph' era does not appear to be rosy. Without really evaluating HC's recruits over the past three years, hard to determine. But, if he's looking to 'step up' now would be the time. If Lembo leaves Elon, (assuming some eye-opening performance in the playoffs), then maybe he'd look there. He was the DC for Pete at Lehigh, and was named the National Assistant Coach of the Year.

Go...gate
November 16th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Carney, as usual, you have started another thought provoking thread. However, I must comment on your description of one of Lehigh's school colors as being "dung" brown. Years ago I would have agreed with you whole heartedly. However, in the last few years something amazing has happened to the color brown. It is actually a hot color. Women describe brown as being "the new black". Stroll through a mall and you will see brown clothing displayed in every store. Walk down the street in a fashionable place like NYC you will see large numbers of men and women wearing brown but virtually no one wearing maroon (which by the way is the primary school color of our Patriot League brethren Colgate and Lafayette). I submit to you that maroon is a hideous color and has now far surpassed brown as the ugliest school color in the Patriot League.

In another thread, someone raised the interesting question about whether Lehigh fans would actually want to see a win Saturday if it meant Andy Coen would be back as head coach again next season. I like Andy but, at this point, I'm totally convinced that he is never going to develop into a successful head coach. A painful as it might be, I think I would actually chose to sit through a Lafayette win on Saturday if it meant that a coaching change would be made.

Now, now, be nice....

Lehigh Football Nation
November 16th, 2009, 11:07 PM
Gilmore to ND?

I know - Gilmore to Rutgers when Schiano goes to Penn State. Gotta to keep that Patriot League pipeline going... xthumbsupx

Sader87
November 16th, 2009, 11:20 PM
Gilmore to the Patriots? Bellichek has to be fired after last night, no?

Lehigh Football Nation
November 16th, 2009, 11:38 PM
Gilmore to coach UVA. If that guy isn't out the door, I don't know who is.

Franks Tanks
November 17th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Gilmore to coach UVA. If that guy isn't out the door, I don't know who is.

Richmond coach may be leading canidate at UVA

ngineer
November 17th, 2009, 08:01 AM

Agreed there, which opens the Spider's Web...If I recall a former Patriot League coach got the UR program turned around..

ngineer
November 17th, 2009, 08:02 AM
I know - Gilmore to Rutgers when Schiano goes to Penn State. Gotta to keep that Patriot League pipeline going... xthumbsupx

He's not going to wait another 8 years..xrolleyesx

Pard4Life
November 17th, 2009, 08:55 AM

Are you serious? I hardly see brown, and when I do, it is the subservient/recessive color in a pattern. I've never seen anyone wear full color brown clothing, like your jerseys... it just looks like you were rolling around in "it." Lehigh is quite used to it... must have been that 1884-1950 period.

Pard4Life
November 17th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Tavani and Biddle are two coaches that can coach at a high FBS level. Tavani is an excellent PR guy and motivator, while Biddle is a great x/o guy.

Coen meanwhile, after watching him last night, reminds me of a staid Chinese communist central committee member, with his lack of engagement and energy.

LUHawker
November 17th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Tavani and Biddle are two coaches that can coach at a high FBS level. Tavani is an excellent PR guy and motivator, while Biddle is a great x/o guy.

Coen meanwhile, after watching him last night, reminds me of a staid Chinese communist central committee member, with his lack of engagement and energy.

Maybe Biddle could be at FBS level; Frank, I don't know. He is a loose canon (which is sometimes fun), but I'm not sure he is "polished" enough.

Coen makes Pete Lembo look like the life of the party. He literally bores me to tears.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 17th, 2009, 09:34 AM

Agreed there, which opens the Spider's Web...If I recall a former Patriot League coach got the UR program turned around..

If that indeed happens, think about this career arc a second: assistant under Clawson at Richmond; promotion from within to head coach, his first head coaching position; wins the first national championship for Richmond (in any sport) in his first year (and possibly another this year); and if he were to go to UVA, head coach at a BCS school.

BGSU's Dave Clawson must be kicking himself, for starters.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 17th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Maybe Biddle could be at FBS level; Frank, I don't know. He is a loose canon (which is sometimes fun), but I'm not sure he is "polished" enough.

I think Biddle's big chance was to coach at Duke when they had a vacancy a few years ago. I don't know if he even applied, but when he didn't go there I got the impression that Biddle is so happy at Colgate that he's going to end his career there.

As for Tavani, I can't say. My hunch says he's quite happy at Lafayette building that program into a perennial PL contender... for now anyway. He's got a very long leash thanks to his 2004-2007 run of titles, playoff appearances, and such.

Libertine
November 17th, 2009, 09:43 AM
If that indeed happens, think about this career arc a second: assistant under Clawson at Richmond; promotion from within to head coach, his first head coaching position; wins the first national championship for Richmond (in any sport) in his first year (and possibly another this year); and if he were to go to UVA, head coach at a BCS school.

I assume this post is referring to Mike London and, if so, it's not accurate. London was not promoted from within as he hadn't been an assistant at UR since the mid-90's. He was the defensive coordinator at UVa when he got the nod to take over Richmond.

Franks Tanks
November 17th, 2009, 09:44 AM

"Before returning home, London had spent six of the previous seven seasons molding one of the nation's top defenses at the University of Virginia, most recently as the Cavaliers' defensive coordinator. He was instrumental in the development of five defensive players drafted in the NFL, most notably second-overall selection Chris Long in 2007.

After spending the 2005 season as the defensive line coach with the NFL's Houston Texans, he returned to Al Groh's staff in 2006.

A native of Hampton, Va., London played defensive back at Richmond from 1979-82. Under head coach Dal Shealy, he led the Spiders with six interceptions as a senior captain in 1982. In addition to earning All-State honors, he was chosen the team's MVP and received the Coaches Award. In 1982, the Virginia Peninsula Sports Club selected him as the male in-state Athlete of the Year."

Well not quite-- he was the DC at Virginia before taking the Richmond job

Lehigh Football Nation
November 17th, 2009, 09:48 AM
I assume this post is referring to Mike London and, if so, it's not accurate. London was not promoted from within as he hadn't been an assistant at UR since the mid-90's. He was the defensive coordinator at UVa when he got the nod to take over Richmond.

"Before returning home, London had spent six of the previous seven seasons molding one of the nation's top defenses at the University of Virginia, most recently as the Cavaliers' defensive coordinator. He was instrumental in the development of five defensive players drafted in the NFL, most notably second-overall selection Chris Long in 2007.

After spending the 2005 season as the defensive line coach with the NFL's Houston Texans, he returned to Al Groh's staff in 2006.

A native of Hampton, Va., London played defensive back at Richmond from 1979-82. Under head coach Dal Shealy, he led the Spiders with six interceptions as a senior captain in 1982. In addition to earning All-State honors, he was chosen the team's MVP and received the Coaches Award. In 1982, the Virginia Peninsula Sports Club selected him as the male in-state Athlete of the Year."

Well not quite-- he was the DC at Virginia before taking the Richmond job

Thanks, I stand corrected. Boy, no wonder he's the leading candidate to take over UVA! That and a national championship (and possibly another).

Pard4Life
November 17th, 2009, 11:11 AM
I think Biddle's big chance was to coach at Duke when they had a vacancy a few years ago. I don't know if he even applied, but when he didn't go there I got the impression that Biddle is so happy at Colgate that he's going to end his career there.

As for Tavani, I can't say. My hunch says he's quite happy at Lafayette building that program into a perennial PL contender... for now anyway. He's got a very long leash thanks to his 2004-2007 run of titles, playoff appearances, and such.

Tavani is staying for as long as he wants. He saved the program, can recruit, wins 7 games per year on average, beats Lehigh, can motivate teams and players, runs a very clean ship, and produces academic All-Americans.

I'd like to see what he could do with schollies... steal a few CAA recruits hopefully.

CrusaderBob
November 17th, 2009, 11:13 AM

Whether or not lots of people are wearing the color or not, is irrelevant when describing it. If the entire nation were wearing it, every day, does that mean it's suddenly sky brown?

No. It's still the same color as dung. Therefore ...

After further review, Carney's description of Lehigh's color stands. xthumbsupx

Now as to his call on the Good Ship Holy Cross Football sinking ...

Pard94
November 17th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Whether or not lots of people are wearing the color or not, is irrelevant when describing it. If the entire nation were wearing it, every day, does that mean it's suddenly sky brown?

No. It's still the same color as dung. Therefore ...

After further review, Carney's description of Lehigh's color stands. xthumbsupx

Now as to his call on the Good Ship Holy Cross Football sinking ...

I really think the fact that Lehigh has the worst colors/uniforms in the PL is beyond debate. And the second worst mascot too. Still don't know what a Hoya is. And frankly, if you have to explain it...

Pard4Life
November 17th, 2009, 11:28 AM
I really think the fact that Lehigh has the worst colors/uniforms in the PL is beyond debate. And the second worst mascot too. Still don't know what a Hoya is. And frankly, if you have to explain it...

And they are thieves too... stealing the same TD cheer song as Bucknell.

Franks Tanks
November 17th, 2009, 11:29 AM

Lehigh has perhaps the worst mascot in FCS football. They had a perfectly fine mascot and changed it to a stupid and ugly hawk. The Hawk logo is a freakin travesty. Also they dont even use their colors on the Uniform. They are the Brown & White not the Brown & Gold. However gold mnakes up the bulk of their uni's--pathetic.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 17th, 2009, 11:31 AM

That Leopard mascot has a huge head. Evolution would have killed that bad boy long ago. Just sayin'.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2219/1923009434_acc53c59ee.jpg?v=0

CrusaderBob
November 17th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Hard to do this with football because of the gold, (and because they wear white on the road) but every time the Lehigh basketball team takes the court at the Hart Center, I have the uncontrollable urge to chant

U-P-S! U-P-S!

Pard94
November 17th, 2009, 11:41 AM
That Leopard mascot has a huge head. Evolution would have killed that bad boy long ago. Just sayin'.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2219/1923009434_acc53c59ee.jpg?v=0

Just as evolution killed the "Brown and White" and the "Engineer".

Pard4Life
November 17th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Lehigh has perhaps the worst mascot in FCS football. They had a perfectly fine mascot and changed it to a stupid and ugly hawk. The Hawk logo is a freakin travesty. Also they dont even use their colors on the Uniform. They are the Brown & White not the Brown & Gold. However gold mnakes up the bulk of their uni's--pathetic.

His nickname is Clutch?!?! I heard he was castrated by Jonathan Hurt in 2005.

Pard4Life
November 17th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Just as evolution killed the "Brown and White" and the "Engineer".

Oooh snap! Haha!

Franks Tanks
November 17th, 2009, 11:43 AM
http://www.lehighsports.com/uploads/photo/2DE4E44E56674ACDAFAE1840DBFD1735.jpg

Look at that thing..also why does the Hawk have green shoes? How is that relevant..who wears green shoes?

Is intent of the mascot to terrify children? I guess that why Lehigh attendance has been so poor this year.

Pard94
November 17th, 2009, 11:46 AM

Look at that thing..also why does the Hawk have green shoes? How is that relevant..who wears green shoes?

Is intent of the mascot to terrify children? I guess that why Lehigh attendance has been so poor this year.

And what the hell is a Mountain Hawk anyway? Is it any hawk who happens to live on a mountain or is it an actual species? A quick google search indicates there is such a thing as a Mountain Hawk Eagle (complete with brown feathers)...but that's an eagle not a hawk. Don't mean to add to your already extensive identity crisis Lehigh but are you hawks? Eagles? Engineers? What the hell?

Pard4Life
November 17th, 2009, 11:49 AM

I never realized Coen was as fat as the mascot. Maybe dress him up. Then again he scares nobody... certainly not CCSU, Princeton, Yale, Colgate, HC, Harvard, Villanova.

Franks Tanks
November 17th, 2009, 11:50 AM
http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper1233/stills/r2kb16rj.jpg

Look at the bright side Lehigh fans... it is wrastling season.

You guys sure excel in sports where your athletes are able to rub their crotch against others guys heads.

That Harvard guy looks less than entertained by the Lehigh guy's advances.

Pard94
November 17th, 2009, 11:52 AM
http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper1233/stills/r2kb16rj.jpg

Look at the bright side Lehigh fans... it is wrastling season.

You guys sure excel in sports where your athletes are able to rub their crotch against others guys heads.

That Harvard guy looks less than entertaining by the Lehigh guy's advances.

Careful FT...guys rubbing their heads against other guy's crotches is their signature sport. I've been told they are one of the best teams in the nation at it.

Franks Tanks
November 17th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Careful FT...guys rubbing their heads against other guy's crotches is their signature sport. I've been told they are one of the best teams in the nation at it.

Apparently so--and they take it very seriously

Lehigh Football Nation
November 17th, 2009, 11:53 AM

I think we really, really need to start worrying when both sides have made references to women's fashion and color matching in the same week. What's next? Lehigh women have prettier handbags? Lafayette women dress better?

The intent of the mascot is to inspire Lehigh to beat Lafayette... something it did very, very well just last year.

Bogus Megapardus
November 17th, 2009, 12:02 PM
In its "signature sport," wrestling, Lehigh finished twenty-eighth in D1 this year, barely a point ahead of American and Bucknell. It had no individual champions.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/ncaa?key=/ncaa/ncaa/ncaa+news/ncaa+news+online/2009/division+i/northwestern_wrestler_helps_iowa_win_22nd_title_03 _23_09_ncaa_news

Hey Lehigh - American U. is a girls' school. Nice going. If you're going to pick a signature sport in which women are your principal competition, why not try synchronized swimming. I hear it's a rave.

nb: those lovely thongs that your wrasslers wear clearly are brown.

Pard4Life
November 17th, 2009, 12:05 PM
I think we really, really need to start worrying when both sides have made references to women's fashion and color matching in the same week. What's next? Lehigh women have prettier handbags? Lafayette women dress better?

The intent of the mascot is to inspire Lehigh to beat Lafayette... something it did very, very well just last year.

Prettier handbags? At least bigger... you need somethig to carry tons of eye liner, hair spray, and lipstick after all. I hear these handbags can be found on said women walking Third St. from 11pm to 2am.

And yes we do. We invented the pearl necklace look. The Audry Hepburn pose? Yep, got it from a Lafayette gal.

FUrams7
November 17th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Masella in my opinion gets another year, possibly 2yrs.. to put Fordham back in the PL title hunt and 1aa playoffs.

he was the driving force in going scholly and has my support (and a longer leash) for actually stepping up to FU heiracrchy and the PL laegue to get it done. altho, schollys do not automatically make u Fordham a good team.. that alone buys him time from my point of view..

we shall see if he is a good recruiter, game coach and program builder.. honestly the jury is still out on that. the general feeling was recruiting the last 2yrs under the AI etc.. and all that handcuffed him.. in person he comes across as motivated and genuinely interested in building Fordham Football.. im looking foward to future of Fordham Football.. yes my fingers are crossed we have the right guy..

unrelated.. i think Lembo (at Elon) eventual next stop is 1A.. old friend of mine..

Lehigh Football Nation
November 17th, 2009, 12:12 PM
unrelated.. i think Lembo (at Elon) eventual next stop is 1A.. old friend of mine..

This wouldn't surprise me at all. Would he come back for Riddle's senior year is the question.

PhoenixMan

If Elon loses this Saturday and misses the playoffs AGAIN, maybe we can work out a deal to trade Lembo back to Lehigh! However, if Elon wins and gets in, we'll hang on to him and show him some love. Pete..... BEAT SAMFORD dadgummit!

DFW HOYA
Judging by the variety of these posts, the PL could have as few as two and as many as all seven schools with coaches coming back.

Six will rebuild, I guess, and one will be offering scholarships while they're doing some conference shopping.

Franks Tanks
November 17th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Prettier handbags? At least bigger... you need somethig to carry tons of eye liner, hair spray, and lipstick after all. I hear these handbags can be found on said women walking Third St. from 11pm to 2am.

And yes we do. We invented the pearl necklace look. The Audry Hepburn pose? Yep, got it from a Lafayette gal.

Lafayette gals always looked great with a pearl necklace xlolx

Pard94
November 17th, 2009, 12:14 PM

Gurantee you 7 out of 10 posters on this thread have no idea what you're talking about.xnodx

Franks Tanks
November 17th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Gurantee you 7 out of 10 posters on this thread have no idea what you're talking about.xnodx

I hope that is the case

Bogus Megapardus
November 17th, 2009, 12:15 PM

xcoolx

PhoenixMan
November 17th, 2009, 12:16 PM
This wouldn't surprise me at all. Would he come back for Riddle's senior year is the question.

Wouldn't a 1A team want a guy who has gotten his team to the playoffs? Ranked #3 most of the year last year, lost 2 of 3 and out. Close to the same in 2007. 28-16 at Elon. Great job. Problem is half of those 16 losses have occurred in the last 2-3 games of each season, when it matters. He has done a good job at Elon, but I think the can't win the big game looms large. Maybe this is the year to get over the hump. BEAT SAMFORD! (have I said that already?)

crusader11
November 17th, 2009, 12:25 PM

Usually it's dark and you can't see the necklace...

Pard4Life
November 17th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Wouldn't a 1A team want a guy who has gotten his team to the playoffs? Ranked #3 most of the year last year, lost 2 of 3 and out. Close to the same in 2007. 28-16 at Elon. Great job. Problem is half of those 16 losses have occurred in the last 2-3 games of each season, when it matters. He has done a good job at Elon, but I think the can't win the big game looms large. Maybe this is the year to get over the hump. BEAT SAMFORD! (have I said that already?)

Hmm, this sounds familiar, doesn't it Lehigh fans? Pards won 3 of 5 from Lehigh when Lehigh was ranked all three times. One loss, we were a two win team.

Not sure why... low intensity?

Bogus Megapardus
November 17th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Please tell me that there is not even an inkling of a rumor on College Hill about Tavani leaving. He goes to work every day overlooking the House that Frank Built. Do any of you guys have an office with that kind of view?

Franks Tanks
November 17th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Please tell me that there is not even an inkling of a rumor on College Hill about Tavani leaving. He goes to work every day overlooking the House that Frank Built. Do any of you guys have an office with that kind of view?

He's not going anywhere

letsgopards04
November 17th, 2009, 01:02 PM

Waiting for the mod......xlolx

Bogus Megapardus
November 17th, 2009, 01:03 PM
Waiting for the mod......xlolx

This thread has PL immunity. You should know that.

Lehigh74
November 17th, 2009, 07:42 PM
In its "signature sport," wrestling, Lehigh finished twenty-eighth in D1 this year, barely a point ahead of American and Bucknell. It had no individual champions. .

Bogus, once again your comments are asinine. Aren't you the same guy that suggested that Lehigh was a safety school for Lafayette? What a joke! Lehigh has one of the top 10 wrestling programs in the country. However, that doesn't mean we are going to finish in the top 10 every year. As a point of fact, at the moment our program is on a big time upswing. We just beat Penn State 23-14. Years ago Lafayette had a wrestling team but the sport was dropped because you got tired of getting your asses kicked by Lehigh every year.

Bogus Megapardus
November 17th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Bogus, once again your comments are asinine. Aren't you the same guy that suggested that Lehigh was a safety school for Lafayette? What a joke! Lehigh has one of the top 10 wrestling programs in the country. However, that doesn't mean we are going to finish in the top 10 every year. As a point of fact, at the moment our program is on a big time upswing. We just beat Penn State 23-14. Years ago Lafayette had a wrestling team but the sport was dropped because you got tired of getting your asses kicked by Lehigh every year.

!. Lehigh was my safety school.

2. If Lafayette continued with wrestling (a Title IX victim) it would be . . . um . . . Lehigh. Ew.

Pard 82
November 17th, 2009, 07:55 PM

Mine too! xnodx

Pard94
November 17th, 2009, 08:09 PM

Uh oh...somebody woke up another Lehigh fan. That's all and well and good. Problem is nobody gives a rat's a*s about wrestling. Why don't you give us an update on your fencing team while your at it? Here in America where we pay attention to football...you guys suck.

Pard94
November 17th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Mine too! xnodx

I would have had to consider Lehigh to make it my safety school...which I didn't...so it wasn't.

carney2
November 17th, 2009, 08:46 PM
That Leopard mascot has a huge head.

An indication of superior intelligence.

carney2
November 17th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Is every thread on this board in danger of being hijacked this week and turned into Lafayette-Lehigh smack?

I hope so.

Bogus Megapardus
November 17th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Is every thread on this board in danger of being hijacked this week and turned into Lafayette-Lehigh smack?

I hope so.

I have long since ceased attempting to distinguish amongst them.

DFW HOYA
November 17th, 2009, 09:00 PM
I hope so.

If you're not careful, you'll read all sorts of trivia about the great Georgetown-Fordham rivalry being played this week and what it means to Masella and Kelly.

(What? The PL allows another rivalry? Who authorized this?) xlolx

Lehigh74
November 17th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Uh oh...somebody woke up another Lehigh fan. That's all and well and good. Problem is nobody gives a rat's a*s about wrestling. Why don't you give us an update on your fencing team while your at it? Here in America where we pay attention to football...you guys suck.

The last time I looked at a map, Lafayette was located in Easton, PA. In the Lehigh Valley (where Lafayette is located) wrestling is a huge sport. The attendance at the Lehigh - Penn State match was about 5,400.

Bogus Megapardus
November 17th, 2009, 09:20 PM
If you're not careful, you'll read all sorts of trivia about the great Georgetown-Fordham rivalry being played this week and what it means to Masella and Kelly.

(What? The PL allows another rivalry? Who authorized this?) xlolx

Lesser rivalries (i.e., Harvard-Yale, Army-Navy, W&M-Richmond) may be footnoted; discussion will be allowed if time permits.

Now, back to discussion of that waste disposal facility perched on the rectal end of the Lafayette Valley. Fans attending the game this weekend should leave an extra forty-five minutes of travel time. The Immigration and Naturalization Service now requires typhoid shots for all United States citizens emigrating to Goodman Stadium . . . .

Bogus Megapardus
November 17th, 2009, 09:22 PM
The last time I looked at a map, Lafayette was located in Easton, PA. In the Lehigh Valley (where Lafayette is located) wrestling is a huge sport. The attendance at the Lehigh - Penn State match was about 5,400.

Too bad your pathetic football team can't draw that.

ngineer
November 17th, 2009, 10:44 PM
In its "signature sport," wrestling, Lehigh finished twenty-eighth in D1 this year, barely a point ahead of American and Bucknell. It had no individual champions.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/ncaa?key=/ncaa/ncaa/ncaa+news/ncaa+news+online/2009/division+i/northwestern_wrestler_helps_iowa_win_22nd_title_03 _23_09_ncaa_news

Hey Lehigh - American U. is a girls' school. Nice going. If you're going to pick a signature sport in which women are your principal competition, why not try synchronized swimming. I hear it's a rave.

nb: those lovely thongs that your wrasslers wear clearly are brown.

Dual meet wise Lehigh was 7th in the country, with a 23-1 record, beating the likes of Oklahoma State, Penn State and Michigan. The points scored in the NCAA tournament was a disappointment, but with virtually the entire team back, we are on the rise.
And as for a signature sport, tell me where Lafayette has a ROOM named after them in ANY sports Hall of Fame? TWENTY SIX NATIONAL CHAMPIONS, RANKING 5TH ALL TIME BEHIND THE 'BIG FOUR' OF THE MIDWEST. 126 ALL-AMERICANS. LAFAYETTE CAN'T HOLD LEHIGH'S JOCK IN COMPARISON WITH ANY SPORT THAT IT SPONSORS. GIRLS SOCCER...I MEAN YOU DID DROP WRESTLING FOR GIRLS SOCCER...WHAT YOU GOT TO SHOW FOR IT. Talk about clueless.

Bogus Megapardus
November 17th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Dual meet wise Lehigh was 7th in the country, with a 23-1 record, beating the likes of Oklahoma State, Penn State and Michigan. The points scored in the NCAA tournament was a disappointment, but with virtually the entire team back, we are on the rise.
And as for a signature sport, tell me where Lafayette has a ROOM named after them in ANY sports Hall of Fame? TWENTY SIX NATIONAL CHAMPIONS, RANKING 5TH ALL TIME BEHIND THE 'BIG FOUR' OF THE MIDWEST. 126 ALL-AMERICANS. LAFAYETTE CAN'T HOLD LEHIGH'S JOCK IN COMPARISON WITH ANY SPORT THAT IT SPONSORS. GIRLS SOCCER...I MEAN YOU DID DROP WRESTLING FOR GIRLS SOCCER...WHAT YOU GOT TO SHOW FOR IT. Talk about clueless.

Lighten up, Francis.

http://images.chron.com/blogs/cougars/Hulka.jpg

ngineer
November 17th, 2009, 10:51 PM

2. If Lafayette continued with wrestling (a Title IX victim) it would be . . . um . . . Lehigh. Ew.

That's a pathetic excuse. Typical weasel response. No balls and no money, pure and simple.

Pard4Life
November 17th, 2009, 10:58 PM

If you really have to strut over your wrestling program on a football board, you might as well just drop down to D3 or fold and end The Rivalry.. like your going to catch us anyhow...

Pard4Life
November 17th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Mine too! xnodx

I didn't even bother applying... I know ***** when I see it, the Brown school color just confirms it..

Bogus Megapardus
November 17th, 2009, 11:02 PM
If you really have to strut over your wrestling program on a football board, you might as well just drop down to D3 or fold and end The Rivalry.. like your going to catch us anyhow...

I think the Poutin' Hawks want to pick up their football and go home. xbawlingx

ngineer
November 17th, 2009, 11:13 PM

Don't need to strut. Strollin just fine. The wrestling 'discussion' arose on another thread regarding the fact that, from a NATIONAL standpoint, Lehigh is the only school that has the recognition that a signature sport brings. Regardless where you go in the US, if your're talking sports and Lehigh is mentioned, most know of the grand tradition. When Lafayette is mentioned, most say "Louisianna?" ..and at the current rate over the last 50 years, we'll catch you in about 3 decades.

ngineer
November 17th, 2009, 11:14 PM
I've gotten the biggest kick over this and other threads.. You guys are scared *****less of losing on Saturday, and it shows.xnodx

Pard94
November 18th, 2009, 05:00 AM

Yeah...2nd only to football. Looks like we're back to you guys sucking.

Pard94
November 18th, 2009, 05:03 AM
I've gotten the biggest kick over this and other threads.. You guys are scared *****less of losing on Saturday, and it shows.xnodx

Are you kidding me?? Worst case scenario...we lose and you guys keep Coen on for another 4 years. It's really a no lose situation.

Meanwhile back in the real world...we're going to kill your pathetic team on Saturday.

Franks Tanks
November 18th, 2009, 07:36 AM
That's a pathetic excuse. Typical weasel response. No balls and no money, pure and simple.

Nobody cares about wrestling

ngineer
November 18th, 2009, 08:02 AM
Nobody cares about wrestling

Tell that to the people who live in the school district your armpit of a campus is located.

Pard94
November 18th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Tell that to the people who live in the school district your armpit of a campus is located.

Don't need to. They already know nobody cares about wrestling. I mean you're talking about a sport that gets three minutes of coverage even when the olympics are on. I don't know of a single publication that isn't considered fringe that dedicates any time to wrestling. If you interviewed 100 people in downtown Easton or Bethlehem for that matter you'd be lucky if 5 could tell you who the top wrestler in the nation is. It is a mariginalized sport with an extremely limited following. Great for Lehigh...you're the king of an insignificant sport. NOBODY CARES!!!

Franks Tanks
November 18th, 2009, 08:13 AM

They are mis-guided people.

However they still get twice the people at a regular season football game than a wrestling match.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 18th, 2009, 08:22 AM

Another vote to call Lafayette's stadium: "The Armpit" xlolx

Bogus Megapardus
November 18th, 2009, 08:42 AM

LFN - I notice that your avatar is a photograph of . . . let's see . . . why it's Fisher Field, isn't it! I can understand your subliminal desire to display a photograph from the archives of Lafayette College next to the moniker, "Lehigh Football Nation." It's just a better place to play and watch a game. You've been there and you know it as well as do I.

Moerover, Lehigh likely has no photographic archives of its own. And if if did, the images would be in dull sepia-tone or at best black and white, given the backward nature of the institution itself and its probable lack of technological prowess even to create something as rudimentary as "color."

Lehigh Football Nation
November 18th, 2009, 08:51 AM
LFN - I notice that your avatar is a photograph of . . . let's see . . . why it's Fisher Field, isn't it! I can understand your subliminal desire to display a photograph from the archives of Lafayette College next to the moniker, "Lehigh Football Nation."

Silly me. I thought I posted that picture because it showed a white-clad Lehigh team beating a black-clad Lafayette team. It could be at a field in Scranton for all I care. xlolx

Bogus Megapardus
November 18th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Silly me. I thought I posted that picture because it showed a white-clad Lehigh team beating a black-clad Lafayette team. It could be at a field in Scranton for all I care. xlolx

I think you missed the point. Your subliminal acknowledgment of Lafayette's gridiron superiority would be apparent to a Psych 101 student at a CAA school, for goodness sake. Trust me, you were not dreaming of "Scranton" when you chose that photo, unless it truly was foretelling of Lehigh's recent commitment to play at a Division III level.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 18th, 2009, 09:00 AM
I think you missed the point. Your subliminal acknowledgment of Lafayette's gridiron superiority would be apparent to a Psych 101 student at a CAA school, for goodness sake. Trust me, you were not dreaming of "Scranton" when you chose that photo, unless it truly was foretelling of Lehigh's recent commitment to play at a Division III level.

Look closely. Which team is catching the go-ahead touchdown?

Bogus Megapardus
November 18th, 2009, 09:09 AM
Look closely. Which team is catching the go-ahead touchdown?

I'm looking closely. I see beautiful new, properly designed on-campus football facility with a nice crowd (albeit the visitors' side). As I recall, the alleged "touchdown" depicted was called back on a bumbling illegal motion penalty. Most in the stands then laughed hysterically at the little round brown things scattered about the field.

Edit: I should say beautifully renovated Fisher Field. It's still the same place that honors Lafayette's football tradition. Where's that Lehigh cistern again? Um . . . what exit?

Pard94
November 18th, 2009, 09:24 AM

Honestly...there's no comparison anymore. I mean Goodman had it's day but that day is long gone. I will readily admit that Goodman used to be the nicest stadium in the league. It was cutting edge about 15 years ago. But it's obsolete now. I'm not saying it couldn't get a complete makeover and rise to the level where it would be competitive with Lafayette again...and it probably wouldn't take $33 million to do it. But to sugest that Goodman is somehow nicer than Fisher is nothing less than delusional.

Let's look at the facts. Goodman is off-campus which even die hard Chicken Hawk Eagle Engineer Brown and White fans have admitted is less than ideal by a wide margin. It has no lights. No night games no addded visibility when those late fall games run long. The scoreboard is antiquated and not even up to par with some of the more posh HS stadiums. i mean we are talking light bulb technology. It's a natural mud I mean turf stadium. LFN and his cronies can talk about being purists and they way the game was meant to be played...blah, blah blah. The game was once also played without helmets (until George Barclay from Lafayette came along). Field turf is an advancement and whether you like it or not serious programs have moved or are moving to it...as evidenced by the total of three games Lafayette played on grass this season. The locker rooms are drab and dreary. Overall the place is depressing. I remember playing there and even after we won I was thinking, "get me out of this place". What can you brag about? Better tailgating space...yes I grant you...when your facilities are located in a large barren field you're going to have more space for keg stands. Congratulations.

Now Fisher Field at Fisher Stadium on the other hand...that is a truely impressive football (not all sports mind you...just football complex) complex. On campus location, seating for 15,000 including a premium section including seatbacks, cutting edge field turf surface, premium sound system, top of the line video board scoreboard, lights sufficient to turn night into day, a varsity football house that includes a top of the line sports medicine center (including numerous hydro-therapy pools), large spacious weight room dedicated solely to football players, locker room and player lounge facilities that include 22 flat screen tv's, 4 separate meeting rooms, coaches offices, parents lounge and mini-museum that overlook the field. Top of the line graphics throughout the facility. I mean hell...our players run out of a giant inflatible Leopard head for god's sake. Are we really debating this?

To all Lehigh fans...I would highly recommend you head over to the Lafayette athletic site and take the photo tour of the facilities. Do this, if for no other reason, to avoid looking and sounding realy foolish when you compare your dump to our palace. Here's the link...enjoy...(don't forget to tour the Bourger Varsity House)...

http://www.goleopards.com/facilities/lafa-fisher.html

Franks Tanks
November 18th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Honestly...there's no comparison anymore. I mean Goodman had it's day but that day is long gone. I will readily admit that Goodman used to be the nicest stadium in the league. It was cutting edge about 15 years ago. But it's obsolete now. I'm not saying it couldn't get a complete makeover and rise to the level where it would be competitive with Lafayette again...and it probably wouldn't take $33 million to do it. But to sugest that Goodman is somehow nicer than Fisher is nothing less than delusional.

Let's look at the facts. Goodman is off-campus which even die hard Chicken Hawk Eagle Engineer Brown and White fans have admitted is less than ideal by a wide margin. It has no lights. No night games no addded visibility when those late fall games run long. The scoreboard is antiquated and not even up to par with some of the more posh HS stadiums. i mean we are talking light bulb technology. It's a natural mud I mean turf stadium. LFN and his cronies can talk about being purists and they way the game was meant to be played...blah, blah blah. The game was once also played without helmets (until George Barclay from Lafayette came along). Field turf is an advancement and whether you like it or not serious programs have moved or are moving to it...as evidenced by the total of three games Lafayette played on grass this season. The locker rooms are drab and dreary. Overall the place is depressing. I remember playing there and even after we won I was thinking, "get me out of this place". What can you brag about? Better tailgating space...yes I grant you...when your facilities are located in a large barren field you're going to have more space for keg stands. Congratulations.

Now Fisher Field at Fisher Stadium on the other hand...that is a truely impressive football (not all sports mind you...just football complex) complex. On campus location, seating for 15,000 including a premium section including seatbacks, cutting edge field turf surface, premium sound system, top of the line video board scoreboard, lights sufficient to turn night into day, a varsity football house that includes a top of the line sports medicine center (including numerous hydro-therapy pools), large spacious weight room dedicated solely to football players, locker room and player lounge facilities that include 22 flat screen tv's, 4 separate meeting rooms, coaches offices, parents lounge and mini-museum that overlook the field. Top of the line graphics throughout the facility. I mean hell...our players run out of a giant inflatible Leopard head for god's sake. Are we really debating this?

To all Lehigh fans...I would highly recommend you head over to the Lafayette athletic site and take the photo tour of the facilities. Do this, if for no other reason, to avoid looking and sounding realy foolish when you compare your dump to our palace. Here's the link...enjoy...(don't forget to tour the Bourger Varsity House)...

http://www.goleopards.com/facilities/lafa-fisher.html

You mean this isnt state of the art? I think the point of the Lehigh Scoreboard is they want to make it impossible for fans to read the score since they are always losing.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2a/American_Football_Scoreboard.png

Pard94
November 18th, 2009, 09:37 AM
You mean this isnt state of the art? I think the point of the Lehigh Scoreboard is they want to make it impossible for fans to read the score since they are always losing.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2a/American_Football_Scoreboard.png

That would be xlolxxlolxxlolx if it weren't so freaking xbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingx.

No...it's funny. Game, set, match you Lehigh chumps!

Bogus Megapardus
November 18th, 2009, 09:39 AM
That would be xlolxxlolxxlolx if it weren't so freaking xbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingx.

No...it's funny. Game, set, match you Lehigh chumps!

Not only is it funny, it's very . . . um . . . brown, too, isn't it?

Pard94
November 18th, 2009, 09:41 AM

Haven't you heard Bogus...crap brown interspersed with small light bulbs in various degrees of working order is all the rage these days.

What a freaking joke.

Franks Tanks
November 18th, 2009, 09:42 AM

They cant even manage to slap a new logo on that thing. They havent used the LU logo in 15 years. Where is the shreaking Hawk!!!

Pard94
November 18th, 2009, 09:42 AM
They cant even manage to slap a new logo on that thing. They havent used the LU logo in 15 years. Where is the shreaking Hawk!!!

I don't know who Murray Goodman is but he has to be spinning in his grave. They really ought to be ashamed of themselves.

Bogus Megapardus
November 18th, 2009, 09:44 AM

I can't wait for LFN or ngineer to chime in and say it's "retro" and "befitting tradition."

Pard94
November 18th, 2009, 09:44 AM

It would be lipstick on a pig.

Bogus Megapardus
November 18th, 2009, 09:47 AM
I don't know who Murray Goodman is.

He builds strip malls and has been hailed as the pioneer of metastasizing suburban sprawl.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 18th, 2009, 09:50 AM
I'm looking closely. I see beautiful new, properly designed on-campus football facility with a nice crowd (albeit the visitors' side). As I recall, the alleged "touchdown" depicted was called back on a bumbling illegal motion penalty. Most in the stands then laughed hysterically at the little round brown things scattered about the field.

I can understand if you have blocked out the trauma of last year's loss out of your memory, but rest assured WR Nick Johnson's TD grab was not called back. Nor was FB Adam Watson's one-yard TD burst through the line. Nor was DB John "Prez" Kennedy's 93 yard interception return for a touchdown to seal the 31-15 victory - the game that Lafayette supposedly lost due to "bad preparation" (Tavani's words) rather than Lehigh's execution.

Oddly enough, the only laughs I heard came from the Lehigh sideline last year.

Bogus Megapardus
November 18th, 2009, 09:56 AM
I can understand if you have blocked out the trauma of last year's loss out of your memory, but rest assured WR Nick Johnson's TD grab was not called back. Nor was FB Adam Watson's one-yard TD burst through the line. Nor was DB John "Prez" Kennedy's 93 yard interception return for a touchdown to seal the 31-15 victory - the game that Lafayette supposedly lost due to "bad preparation" (Tavani's words) rather than Lehigh's execution.

I made up the penalty thing, of course, but you're missing the point entirely. Wouldn't this be a more appropriate avatar, one that expresses the true feel of your fine institution:

Pard94
November 18th, 2009, 09:56 AM

Yeah that's great. Nothing to say about your crappy facilities though?

Bogus Megapardus
November 18th, 2009, 11:09 AM
From The Morning Call:

"Look, Lehigh doesn't have terrible facilities. But there's a definite need for an upgrade in some areas, especially at Goodman Stadium. It's time to pump some dollars into the program.

Instead, people assume the status quo is good enough and just go along year after year with no improvement taking place.

Lafayette is now running circles around Lehigh with its state-of-the-art palace and the energy and enthusiasm surrounding the program is palpable."

http://blogs.mcall.com/groller/

Pard94
November 18th, 2009, 11:15 AM
From The Morning Call:

"Look, Lehigh doesn't have terrible facilities. But there's a definite need for an upgrade in some areas, especially at Goodman Stadium. It's time to pump some dollars into the program.

Instead, people assume the status quo is good enough and just go along year after year with no improvement taking place.

Lafayette is now running circles around Lehigh with its state-of-the-art palace and the energy and enthusiasm surrounding the program is palpable."

Oh snap!xthumbsupxxlolx

Bogus Megapardus
November 18th, 2009, 11:16 AM
"This is a first-class, well-designed, brilliantly-conceived, top-notch facility that has to be the envy of any FCS (I-AA) school in the country. There might be a few NFL teams that may not have a place as classy as this one."

What say you, LFN?

Pard94
November 18th, 2009, 11:19 AM
"This is a first-class, well-designed, brilliantly-conceived, top-notch facility that has to be the envy of any FCS (I-AA) school in the country. There might be a few NFL teams that may not have a place as classy as this one."

What say you, LFN?

He doesn't say much...but then again what can you say? LFN, call our place an Armpit again, will ya? My sides have only just stopped hurting from the last time.xlolx

Franks Tanks
November 18th, 2009, 11:22 AM
From The Morning Call:

This from Keith Groller the resident Lehigh homer and beat reporter

Bogus Megapardus
November 18th, 2009, 11:29 AM
"You put this together with the press box and what's available in Kirby Fieldhouse, the sparkling field turf, the renovated seating areas and you have, simply, the best football facility of its kind anywhere and I've probably visited at least 25 I-AA schools and even some small Division Ones in my nine seasons on the Lehigh football beat.

If I'm a college recruit and see what I saw today, I am asking as fast as I can 'Where do I sign?'"

Ummm . . . . Pwned.

aceinthehole
November 18th, 2009, 11:29 AM
I was at Lehigh this year, and IMO that is a excellent facility. Sure, a bigger scoreboard with video and more seatbacks would be a great improvement, but there is little to complain about or improve there from a fans perspective. By comparison, I also went to Zable at W&M this year and thought Goodman was a better facility.

I've also seen Lafayette's digs when I was there for a hoops game and yes, that place is great as well. Lehigh may have some problems with coaching/recruiting or something else, but stadium issues should be their LAST concern.

crusader11
November 18th, 2009, 11:31 AM
There's more to a football program than the facilities. MUCH more.

Sure, the nice facilities look great, and will help attract a kid, but the school itself, the coaching staff, the program, current players, opportunities after college, the alumni network, etc. ultimately is what is most important.

Bogus Megapardus
November 18th, 2009, 11:33 AM
There's more to a football program than the facilities. MUCH more.

Sure, the nice facilities look great, and will help attract a kid, but the school itself, the coaching staff, the program, current players, opportunities after college, the alumni network, etc. ultimately is what is most important.

What's important is that Lehigh fans are calling Lafayette's stadium an "armpit." Just wanted to supply a little objective evidence to the contrary, that's all.

crusader11
November 18th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Must have missed that in this thread. Lafayette has, hands down, the best football facilities in the league. I'd say the next best gameday atmosphere would be Holy Cross. Fitton Field is, in my opinion, the best place to watch a football game in the PL. Aside from Fitton, the football facilities are greatly lacking.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 18th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Must have missed that in this thread. Lafayette has, hands down, the best football facilities in the league. I'd say the next best gameday atmosphere would be Holy Cross. Fitton Field is, in my opinion, the best place to watch a football game in the PL. Aside from Fitton, the football facilities are greatly lacking.

Lehigh has always had great tailgating and strong support. That has lacked some the last couple years but the history is still there and it will return once the ship is righted. This article and comparing is comical imo. All Lehigh needs is a new freakin scoreboard. That's it.....

crusader11
November 18th, 2009, 11:38 AM
And I said Goodman was a dump when? Being at Lehigh a couple weeks ago for the HC vs. LU game was awesome. Great atmosphere with the mountains in the background. Only think that I didn't like was how far away the stands are from the field. At Fitton, the fans are practically on top of the sidelines; it makes for watching a game that close pretty neat.

Bogus Megapardus
November 18th, 2009, 11:41 AM
This article . . . is comical.

Well, now. I'll keep mind that Lehigh finds Groller's writing to be "comical." Methinks we have a new convert in the print media.

Bogus Megapardus
November 18th, 2009, 11:47 AM
I can't wait for LFN or ngineer to chime in and say it's "retro" and "befitting tradition."

. . . but the history is still there and it will return . . .

Called it.

Franks Tanks
November 18th, 2009, 11:47 AM
http://www.lehighsports.com/info/facilities/images/goodman1.jpg

The seats at Goodman as so far away from the field for a small stadium. It is really a poor set-up in that respect. Poor Carney wont even be able to see that game from his seats!

Pard94
November 18th, 2009, 11:49 AM

Welcome to the Lafayette vs. Lehigh thread Crusader. Here...everything is fair game. Especially when the difference between Fisher Palace and the Goodman Dump is so drastic.

Bogus Megapardus
November 18th, 2009, 11:50 AM
http://www.lehighsports.com/info/facilities/images/goodman1.jpg

The seats at Goodman as so far away from the field for a small stadium. It is really a poor set-up in that respect.

When I'm there, I always get the impression that it was built for polo and equestrian events.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 18th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Well, now. I'll keeping mind that Lehigh finds Groller's writing to be "comical." Methinks we have a new convert in the print media.

All he's doing is trying to stir the pot. I've read his stuff here and there and it is what it is. If it's from his blog he's definitely more open to pull some punches. On the surface, outside of the coaching, everything is fine at Lehigh. However, i don't think a little over the top snap judgements at this point would hurt. The program needs a boost. I'm not sure what it is but it needs some change. The uni's have gone stale, the scoreboard needs upgrade, some nicer warmups etc. Little things that aren't even noticed when you're winning.

Pard94
November 18th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Lehigh has always had great tailgating and strong support. That has lacked some the last couple years but the history is still there and it will return once the ship is righted. This article and comparing is comical imo. All Lehigh needs is a new freakin scoreboard. That's it.....

Yes...cling to the tailgating. Between your 3-7 record and your dump of a stadium it's really all you have.

Bogus Megapardus
November 18th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Little things that aren't even noticed when you're winning.

I haven't noticed that you're winning, either.

Pard94
November 18th, 2009, 11:53 AM
When I'm there, I always get the impression that it was built for polo and equestrian events.

My wife is a professional equestrian. The place isn't suitable for equestrian events.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 18th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Yes...cling to the tailgating. Between your 3-7 record and your dump of a stadium it's really all you have.

I sense sarcasm. If by you, meaning me, then i have the Linc.

Goodman is still a great facility, especially for the Northeast. I've noticed the southern schools take it up a notch with luxury boxes and such.

Bogus Megapardus
November 18th, 2009, 11:56 AM
My wife is a professional equestrian. The place isn't suitable for equestrian events.

It would frighten the horses, I suppose.

Pard94
November 18th, 2009, 11:57 AM
It would frighten the horses, I suppose.

They are very sensitive "flight" animals. They can sense when something is wrong. And at Goodman...everything is wrong.

Bogus Megapardus
November 18th, 2009, 11:57 AM

I've noticed the southern schools take it up a notch with luxury boxes and such.

Here in the northeast, we prefer to watch the game instead.

Pard94
November 18th, 2009, 11:58 AM

Down south they watch the cheerleaders. And so would I.

Bogus Megapardus
November 18th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Down south they watch the cheerleaders. And so would I.

Good point. I hear that we're growing some nice-looking ones from culture in the biology lab. They out to be ready for decanting by spring.

Franks Tanks
November 18th, 2009, 12:01 PM

Goodman is still a great facility, especially for the Northeast. I've noticed the southern schools take it up a notch with luxury boxes and such.

What passes for a luxury box down south.. an outhouse with a padded seat?

Bogus Megapardus
November 18th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Though I have to admit, at least in this instance . . . .

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3430/3907404411_9baff042a2.jpg

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 18th, 2009, 12:03 PM

But i think you know what i mean. You look at the CAA teams, PL and Ivies they're really not super flashy places. Lafayette's place is really nice. I didn't go to Lehigh so my judgement of Lafayette in general is, i could careles. One Saturday a year i pull against them, other than that, go nuts. Obviously i follow Lehigh football so i hope they can be better than their peers. IMO, they're fine in all areas except execution. Stadium wise, the scoreboad does need to be replaced. Not a big undertaking.

Pard4Life
November 18th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Lehigh's field house is depressing. It's like being in a basement. Windows would have been a good idea... Lehigh engineering proud at work!

Pard94
November 18th, 2009, 12:07 PM
But i think you know what i mean. You look at the CAA teams, PL and Ivies they're really not super flashy places. Lafayette's place is really nice. I didn't go to Lehigh so my judgement of Lafayette in general is, i could careles. One Saturday a year i pull against them, other than that, go nuts. Obviously i follow Lehigh football so i hope they can be better than their peers. IMO, they're fine in all areas except execution. Stadium wise, the scoreboad does need to be replaced. Not a big undertaking.

...and lights...and turf...and put the whole thing on campus.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 18th, 2009, 12:13 PM

Lights, i get it to some point, but i wasn't even thinking about that.

Turf, ehh, USC, Notre Dame, Florida all play on grass. Lehigh can too.

It is on campus. Lehigh's campus is 1,600 acres. Just because it isn't shoehorned in South Bethlehem, doesn't mean it's not on campus.

Pard4Life
November 18th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Though I have to admit, at least in this instance . . . .

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3430/3907404411_9baff042a2.jpg

I've got a great pic... need to scan if first.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 18th, 2009, 12:15 PM

MplsBison? Is that you? Boy, would that explain a lot... xlolx

Come on, there is no reason to bring AstroTurf to Murray Goodman stadium. Unlike, apparently, the spotted morons a few miles down the road, Lehigh football players aren't afraid of grass stains and mud on their unis.

And not a single Lehigh fan has said that there doesn't need to be a little bit of upgrading. Lights would be nice, so would a new scoreboard and locker rooms. But then again, it's also nice to not tailgate on somebody's front lawn or in a parking garage, either. xlolx

I can only hope the Lafayette players are reading this thread about how wonderful their team is, how they really didn't lose the game last week or last year versus Lehigh, since they were "not prepared" in their biggest game of the year last year and the officials missed a call last week in the rain. Maybe they'll have heads as big as your mascot! xlolx

Pard94
November 18th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Lights, i get it to some point, but i wasn't even thinking about that.

Turf, ehh, USC, Notre Dame, Florida all play on grass. Lehigh can too.

It is on campus. Lehigh's campus is 1,600 acres. Just because it isn't shoehorned in South Bethlehem, doesn't mean it's not on campus.

My bad...how about a section of campus that doesn't require a compass, a jerba full of water and a Land Rover to reach?

Pard94
November 18th, 2009, 12:21 PM
MplsBison? Is that you? Boy, would that explain a lot... xlolx

Come on, there is no reason to bring AstroTurf to Murray Goodman stadium. Unlike, apparently, the spotted morons a few miles down the road, Lehigh football players aren't afraid of grass stains and mud on their unis.

And not a single Lehigh fan has said that there doesn't need to be a little bit of upgrading. Lights would be nice, so would a new scoreboard and locker rooms. But then again, it's also nice to not tailgate on somebody's front lawn or in a parking garage, either. xlolx

I can only hope the Lafayette players are reading this thread about how wonderful their team is, how they really didn't lose the game last week or last year versus Lehigh, since they were "not prepared" in their biggest game of the year last year and the officials missed a call last week in the rain. Maybe they'll have heads as big as your mascot! xlolx

Thought you nodded off to sleep there LFN. Nice to have you back. Just to catch you up...in your absence we've pretty much established that your program lacks energy, your administrators won't spend any money on football, your stadium is barely serviceable, your team is 3-7 and all of this puts Lehigh at a tremendous disadvantage when it comes to recruiting. Bogus? FT? Pard4Life? Did I miss anything?

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 18th, 2009, 12:23 PM
My bad...how about a section of campus that doesn't require a compass, a jerba full of water and a Land Rover to reach?

Honestly i don't know what you're getting at. You obviously are taking this convo differently than me. People will go to games, they have cars, they will travel. I don't know what you're trying to prove. Most stadiums aren't in the middle of campus. If you look it up schools have that built their stadium in the last 30 years, did so as part of an atheletic campus which is usually on the outskirts of campus or a mile down the road.

Pard94
November 18th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Honestly i don't know what you're getting at. You obviously are taking this convo differently than me. People will go to games, they have cars, they will travel. I don't know what you're trying to prove. Most stadiums aren't in the middle of campus. If you look it up schools have that built their stadium in the last 30 years built it as part of an atheletic campus which is usually on the outskirts of campus or a mile down the road.

Allow me to illustrate what I am getting at with a simple multiple choice question...

All things being equal (which they are not but will let that go for the purpose of this question) which is better:

A) A nice stadium centrally located on campus to and from which students, faculty and fans could easily walk

B) A nice stadium located miles from any portion of the campus that realizes regular pedestrian traffic and which requires some sort of mechanized transport to reach

ngineer
November 18th, 2009, 12:29 PM

Actually, the distance between stadium and sideline is due to it being able to accomodate soccer dimensions. You may recall, the World Cup qualifying rounds were held there a few years back. However, I do agree that the distance is a a negative, however, the only negative of the stadium. Yes, the scoreboard is antiquated, and I suspect will be upgraded in the near future which is easy. From a comfort and convenience standpoint, Goodman far exceeds The John. We have plenty of parking. We have about 3,000 chairback seats. The rest rooms are large and heated compared to the little cubicles The John provides. The concession stands are large and the design around the horseshoe allowing so many different kinds of food stands that The John does not have. Lights are irrelevant. Give me an afternoon game anytime. As for the turf, I go with Dick Allen, "If a horse can't eat it, I don't want to play on it".. The primary reason schools like Lafayette, Bucknell and Fordham have gone to turf is because they DON'T HAVE THE ATHLETIC FACILITIES THAT COME CLOSE TO COMPARING WITH LEHIGH'S.
Therefore, they have to combine multiple sports/events on one field. Certainly makes sense if you don't have the room, but Lehigh was able to create a first class athletic complex that most Division I schools drool over. But the final line, is that, at this level, a student who chooses Lehigh over Lafayette, or vice versa is not going to do it over a scoreboard or sound system. They're too smart for that stuff to matter.

Bogus Megapardus
November 18th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Honestly i don't know what you're getting at. You obviously are taking this convo differently than me. People will go to games, they have cars, they will travel. I don't know what you're trying to prove. Most stadiums aren't in the middle of campus. If you look it up schools have that built their stadium in the last 30 years, did so as part of an atheletic campus which is usually on the outskirts of campus or a mile down the road.

Lafayette has the big, sprawling mile-down-the-road campus too, but it didn't relocate its football stadium there, even though the cost of a new one would have been less than completely renovating the old. Why do you suppose Lafayette made that decision?

ngineer
November 18th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Lafayette has the big, sprawling mile-down-the-road campus too, but it didn't relocate its football stadium there, even though the cost of a new one would have been less than completely renovating the old. Why do you suppose Lafayette made that decision?

Not a simple answer as you imply. The impact on the 'other' facilities at Metzgar and issues with Forks Township for another.

Bogus Megapardus
November 18th, 2009, 12:34 PM
they DON'T HAVE THE ATHLETIC FACILITIES THAT COME CLOSE TO COMPARING WITH LEHIGH'S.

Um, did you miss this part of the discussion:

Pard94
November 18th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Actually, the distance between stadium and sideline is due to it being able to accomodate soccer dimensions. You may recall, the World Cup qualifying rounds were held there a few years back. However, I do agree that the distance is a a negative, however, the only negative of the stadium. Yes, the scoreboard is antiquated, and I suspect will be upgraded in the near future which is easy. From a comfort and convenience standpoint, Goodman far exceeds The John. We have plenty of parking. We have about 3,000 chairback seats. The rest rooms are large and heated compared to the little cubicles The John provides. The concession stands are large and the design around the horseshoe allowing so many different kinds of food stands that The John does not have. Lights are irrelevant. Give me an afternoon game anytime. As for the turf, I go with Dick Allen, "If a horse can't eat it, I don't want to play on it".. The primary reason schools like Lafayette, Bucknell and Fordham have gone to turf is because they DON'T HAVE THE ATHLETIC FACILITIES THAT COME CLOSE TO COMPARING WITH LEHIGH'S.
Therefore, they have to combine multiple sports/events on one field. Certainly makes sense if you don't have the room, but Lehigh was able to create a first class athletic complex that most Division I schools drool over. But the final line, is that, at this level, a student who chooses Lehigh over Lafayette, or vice versa is not going to do it over a scoreboard or sound system. They're too smart for that stuff to matter.

Boy that's a different tune than you guys were singing when Goodman was built lo those many years ago. As I recall it was going to be the jewell in your crown that ensured your dominance for years to come.

As for having athletic facilities that compare to Lehigh's...well we've already covered that. And people outside the rivalry have weighed in as well...including your old beat guy. Incidentally Lafayette has Metzgar fields located three miles from campus. We could have built our facility out there. We would have had the parking and the tailgating...all the things on which Lehigh apparently places a priority. Except any dolt can see it is better to have a facility on campus. Especially when that facility smokes your local rivals dump on every level. "Give me an afternoon game anytime"...puhlease.xrolleyesx

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 18th, 2009, 12:41 PM

The thing is Lehigh i think school wise is different then Colgate, Lafayette and Holy Cross. It's a bigger school. There's more students, there's more graduate students, it's just different imo. The school i think portrays itself more of a national university, and ranking wise they are. They decided to go with the athletic campus instead of putting a stadium right on campus. They have 1600 acres and decided to it . Personally i think a stadium in South Bethlehem in the 21st century would be terrible. There would be no parking and the surroundings in general, are blah at best. I don't like Lafayette's setup. It's too clustered. The Stadium is really nice but it would be nicer if it was on it's own a bit. It's like going to a game at Liberty. Bucknell is the best setup IMO. It's on campus but there's plenty of parking for tailgating.

Pard94
November 18th, 2009, 12:48 PM
The thing is Lehigh i think school wise is different then Colgate, Lafayette and Holy Cross. It's a bigger school. There's more students, there's more graduate students, it's just different imo. The school i think portrays itself more of a national university, and ranking wise they are. They decided to go with the athletic campus instead of putting a stadium right on campus. They have 1600 acres and decided to it . Personally i think a stadium in South Bethlehem in the 21st century would be terrible. There would be no parking and the surroundings in general, are blah at best. I don't like Lafayette's setup. It's too clustered. The Stadium is really nice but it would be nicer if it was on it's own a bit. It's like going to a game at Liberty. Bucknell is the best setup IMO. It's on campus but there's plenty of parking for tailgating.

You are in the minority on so many levels. Hell even the Lehigh faithfull were up in arms about the location of Goodman when it was built. It may be a bigger school but both stadiums draw and seat roughly the same amount of people. No need to stick it way the hell off in a field somewhere...this isn't Ohio State we are talking about. Same with parking. It may be more convenient to park once you get to the stadium but the convenience is mitigated by the fact that all of those people that live and work on the actual campus have to get in a car or bus in the first place. Especially if you intend to tailgate.

You keep Goodman. I'll take Fisher ANY day.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 18th, 2009, 01:00 PM
You are in the minority on so many levels. Hell even the Lehigh faithfull were up in arms about the location of Goodman when it was built. It may be a bigger school but both stadiums draw and seat roughly the same amount of people. No need to stick it way the hell off in a field somewhere...this isn't Ohio State we are talking about. Same with parking. It may be more convenient to park once you get to the stadium but the convenience is mitigated by the fact that all of those people that live and work on the actual campus have to get in a car or bus in the first place. Especially if you intend to tailgate.

You keep Goodman. I'll take Fisher ANY day.

The Stadium is 1.5 miles away from the center of campus. I don't know what you're talking about. Anyone who wants to go can easily travel that distance. Its nothing, inconsequential imo. I will agree with you that an on campus basketball facility is much much more important.

Football doesnt matter nearly as much until you get below FCS. At this level you can have a stadium 1.5 miles away from the center of campus, while still actually being on campus, and be fine. There's tons of schools in FCS that are similar i'm sure. The Tub is the first that comes to mind.

The amount that this actually matters is trivia.l I don't know why anyone would really care. Lehigh is fortunate that they have 1600 acres. I don't see how anyone can make an arguement about anything when one school has 110 acres and the other 1600. Lafayette's campus is setup because of what they got to work with and Lehigh the same.

Pard94
November 18th, 2009, 01:07 PM
The Stadium is 1.5 miles away from the center of campus. I don't know what you're talking about. Anyone who wants to go can easily travel that distance. Its nothing, inconsequential imo. I will agree with you that an on campus basketball facility is much much more important.

Football doesnt matter nearly as much until you get below FCS. At this level you can have a stadium 1.5 miles away from the center of campus, while still actually being on campus, and be fine. There's tons of schools in FCS that are similar i'm sure. The Tub is the first that comes to mind.

The amount that this actually matters is trivia.l I don't know why anyone would really care. Lehigh is fortunate that they have 1600 acres. I don't see how anyone can make an arguement about anything when one school has 110 acres and the other 1600. Lafayette's campus is setup because of what they got to work with and Lehigh the same.

Nice try but Lafayette has 230 acres out at the Metzgar Field Athletic complex. We could have easily built a set up such as you describe out there. We could have brought all of our lesser sports, the kind you seem to think would be better served by an on campus facility, on campus and we could have built the same type of stadium out at Metzgar. Mercifully most people don't share your line of reason. Hence...the nicest football facility on or off campus in the league.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 18th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Nice try but Lafayette has 230 acres out at the Metzgar Field Athletic complex. We could have easily built a set up such as you describe out there. We could have brought all of our lesser sports, the kind you seem to think would be better served by an on campus facility, on campus and we could have built the same type of stadium out at Metzgar. Mercifully most people don't share your line of reason. Hence...the nicest football facility on or off campus in the league.

110, 230 when compared to 1600 it doesn't make a difference. No matter what it's not even close. So how the schools use the land is going to be drastic.

I still say that 1.5 from the center of campus for an FCS school doesn't matter. The stadium has a better setting, better parking, better tailgating where it was. Not even going to Lehigh, i know the schools relationship with it's 'hood. South Bethlehem is not a good location imo. I remember Taylor. It's location took away from it imo.

DFW HOYA
November 18th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Neither side has reason to complain about facilities. If Goodman or Fisher looked like this, it's another argument.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_5aDKqsf1RVE/SrLuV9hxo6I/AAAAAAAAAGA/eRygpx1_2x4/s320/msf7.jpg

Pard94
November 18th, 2009, 01:19 PM

By the way...much to the consternation of many alumni, Lafayette is VERY active in the real estate game. You want to talk about real estate holdings...bring it on. As much as Lafayette pretty much owns half of Easton at this point they really should rename the town Leopardville or Marquistown or something. Hell if we wanted I suspect we could have an in-town waterfront stadium on the river if we so chose.

jimbo65
November 18th, 2009, 01:26 PM
".. The primary reason schools like Lafayette, Bucknell and Fordham have gone to turf is because they DON'T HAVE THE ATHLETIC FACILITIES THAT COME CLOSE TO COMPARING WITH LEHIGH'S.
Therefore, they have to combine multiple sports/events on one field. Certainly makes sense if you don't have the room,

To the best of my knowledge the Fordham fball field, with the exception of part of it used as the baseball outfield, is used just for fball. The turf used is the same as what is used at the Meadowlands for Giant games and was recommended by the Mara family.

We certainly do need a new arena and I understand the accomodations for visiting fball teams are poor, but IMO the fball, baseball, softball, tennis facilities are okay. Not sure if soccer has their own field or perhaps what I saw was a football practice field.

Pard94
November 18th, 2009, 01:32 PM

Great point by you...except that only the football team plays on our beautiful fieldturf field and only the football team uses the beautiful Bourger Varsity House. All other outdoor athletic activities take place out at our goodman-like facilities three miles down the road at Metzgar...where they belong. Any other theories?

Franks Tanks
November 18th, 2009, 01:32 PM

No Lafayette teams share fields in season. The soccer and field hockey teams have their own fields in the fall. In the spring Men's Lacrosse plays on the soccer field and womens Lacrosse plays on the FH field. The only sharing is that Mens and Womens soccer plays on the same field in the fall.

Pard94
November 18th, 2009, 01:38 PM
No Lafayette teams share fields in season. The soccer and field hockey teams have their own fields in the fall. In the spring Men's Lacrosse plays on the soccer field and womens Lacrosse plays on the FH field. The only sharing is that Mens and Womens soccer plays on the same field in the fall.

but don't let the facts get in the way of your argument ngineer.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 18th, 2009, 01:41 PM
I just have to point out - I think there are now over 100 posts off-topic from the original thread, "Patriot League Coaching Carousel."

Carry on, everybody.

Pard94
November 18th, 2009, 01:43 PM
When have we ever been constrained by a topic?

Bogus Megapardus
November 18th, 2009, 01:55 PM
To the best of my knowledge the Fordham fball field, with the exception of part of it used as the baseball outfield, is used just for fball. The turf used is the same as what is used at the Meadowlands for Giant games and was recommended by the Mara family.

We certainly do need a new arena and I understand the accomodations for visiting fball teams are poor, but IMO the fball, baseball, softball, tennis facilities are okay. Not sure if soccer has their own field or perhaps what I saw was a football practice field.

Fordham has one of the coolest basketball venues anywhere, IMHO.

Bogus Megapardus
November 18th, 2009, 01:59 PM
When have we ever been constrained by a topic?

Like the one titled, "Lehigh shows it can play"? That was my favorite. There was exactly one post supporting the hypothesis.

dasteelers
November 18th, 2009, 03:21 PM
It was mentioned in another thread that some of the coaches in the Patriot League are - or should be - on thin ice. What think you?

BUCKNELL - Tim Landis has been in Buffalo for years and continues to field bottom feeders. No hint of a fire being lit under him, but there probably should be. Perhaps an indication of where football actually rates in Buffalo?

COLGATE - Dick Biddle and his retirement gold watch will leave the tundra together.

FORDHAM - In my opinion, Tom Masella has done a terrible job the past two years. He is however, captain of a ship heading into play for pay waters, and there is no indication that the wolves are at his door. Should they be?

HOLY CROSS - If Tom Gilmore isn't on the first plane out of Woo, someone needs to double check his IQ scores. This thing is going down, down, down, post Randolph. No need to go down with the ship, captain.

LAFAYETTE - Frank Tavani is another guy at his last stop on the coaching trail. Unless things go south in a hurry, there is no reason to believe that he can't call his own shots for the end of days.

LEHIGH - The faithful on this board see Saturday as Andy Coen's last day in a dung brown shirt. It will be interesting to see how the less emotional and less athletically inclined administrators who actually make these decisions view this.
hey carney you don't have a clue how deep the HOLY CROSS CRUSADERS are. at the end of next year will be at the top of the conference again.

they have 3 qb's that will go for job in spring ball and it will be a very hard decision. THE QB THAT THEY GO WITH WILL LEAD THE PATRIOT IN YARDAGE. the 3 big gun qb's in the conference are gone after this year and HC has about 8 wr coming back THAT CONTRIBUTED IN A BIG WAY. 2 freshman they snuck in the game for a few plays this year are under 4.4 for the 40.

we only lose 3 on defense. we are extremely deep at lb positions we have graduating.

THE OFF LINE has some very nice talent sitting behind the seniors leaving. I can't watch all 100 guys but this off line has some road graders and were mauling people late in the games and during the jv games. 2 rb's returning and several bruisers with a lot of speed sitting behind them.

PRESEASON.... THEY WILL BE PICKED TO WIN IT ALL AGAIN

Fordham
November 18th, 2009, 03:22 PM
I love seeing the Balkanization of the Patriot League taking place here.

FWIW, here are my stadium rankings:

Lafayette
Lehigh
HC
Bucknell
Fordham
G-town

... and imo there isn't a shred of doubt in my mind that each one is perfectly slotted. Lafayette is a clear and indisputable #1 imo while Lehigh is a clear and indisputable #2 ... and so on and so on ...

Sader87
November 18th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Fitton Field has the best facility in the PL for a "big game"...um, like a FCS play-off game.

Bogus Megapardus
November 18th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Fitton Field has the best facility in the PL for a "big game"...um, like a FCS play-off game.

A playoff game at Fitton Field would be fantastic. Anybody know if HC put in a bid?

TheValleyRaider
November 18th, 2009, 05:04 PM

Lafayette
Lehigh
HC
Bucknell
Fordham
G-town

You're, uhh, missing someone.... xrulesx

Bogus Megapardus
November 18th, 2009, 05:29 PM

I really believe ValleyRaider has a point there! xnodxxrotatehxxlolx

Pard4Life
November 18th, 2009, 05:52 PM
hey carney you don't have a clue how deep the HOLY CROSS CRUSADERS are. at the end of next year will be at the top of the conference again.

they have 3 qb's that will go for job in spring ball and it will be a very hard decision. THE QB THAT THEY GO WITH WILL LEAD THE PATRIOT IN YARDAGE. the 3 big gun qb's in the conference are gone after this year and HC has about 8 wr coming back THAT CONTRIBUTED IN A BIG WAY. 2 freshman they snuck in the game for a few plays this year are under 4.4 for the 40.

we only lose 3 on defense. we are extremely deep at lb positions we have graduating.

THE OFF LINE has some very nice talent sitting behind the seniors leaving. I can't watch all 100 guys but this off line has some road graders and were mauling people late in the games and during the jv games. 2 rb's returning and several bruisers with a lot of speed sitting behind them.

PRESEASON.... THEY WILL BE PICKED TO WIN IT ALL AGAIN

It's very hard to tell when your QB is your leading rusher and has a gun slinging arm whether or not the team can be successful with the same formula. The biggest issue facing HC is Gilmore's and the coordinators return. Let's face it your defense is nothing to brag about either.

breezy
November 18th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Take it from me, fellas --

"dasteelers" knows what he is talking about. Holy Cross will be very good again next year even though it will have a new QB. No doubt the offense runs the show, but the defense did very well stopping Colgate's rushing attack this year and I am confident that it will be improved in all aspects next year.

Fordham
November 18th, 2009, 06:37 PM
I really believe ValleyRaider has a point there! xnodxxrotatehxxlolx
xoopsx

sorry fellas

Lafayette
Lehigh
HC
Colgate :o
Bucknell
Fordham
G-town

ngineer
November 18th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Boy that's a different tune than you guys were singing when Goodman was built lo those many years ago. As I recall it was going to be the jewell in your crown that ensured your dominance for years to come.

As for having athletic facilities that compare to Lehigh's...well we've already covered that. And people outside the rivalry have weighed in as well...including your old beat guy. Incidentally Lafayette has Metzgar fields located three miles from campus. We could have built our facility out there. We would have had the parking and the tailgating...all the things on which Lehigh apparently places a priority. Except any dolt can see it is better to have a facility on campus. Especially when that facility smokes your local rivals dump on every level. "Give me an afternoon game anytime"...puhlease.xrolleyesx

To quote the late Chris Schenkel, "There's no better way to spend an autumn afternoon."

ngineer
November 18th, 2009, 10:23 PM
A playoff game at Fitton Field would be fantastic. Anybody know if HC put in a bid?

The problem is the first weekend game is Thanksgiving weekend and attendance is notorious. Shame that a stadium the size of Fitton would only have 8,000 or so that weekend. Now, if the Crusader can win and have a second home game, you could have a really great crowd there--I would hope approaching 20,000.

ngineer
November 18th, 2009, 10:27 PM
xoopsx

sorry fellas

Lafayette
Lehigh
HC
Colgate :o
Bucknell
Fordham
G-town

I'd slot Bucknell's Christy Matthewson above Colgate's. Very nice stadium and the visitors stands are just as good as the home side, which is the bump over Andy Kerr, plus at Kerr you have to walk over to the home side to take a leak!:D

Go...gate
November 18th, 2009, 11:17 PM
I love seeing the Balkanization of the Patriot League taking place here.

Lafayette
Lehigh
HC
Bucknell
Fordham
G-town

... and imo there isn't a shred of doubt in my mind that each one is perfectly slotted. Lafayette is a clear and indisputable #1 imo while Lehigh is a clear and indisputable #2 ... and so on and so on ...

You guys get scholarships and we get thrown out of the league. WTH is wrong with this picture? :D

Bogus Megapardus
November 19th, 2009, 05:41 AM
You guys get scholarships and we get thrown out of the league. WTH is wrong with this picture? :D

Colgate would never get thrown out of anything. Lehigh, Lafayette, Colgate and Bucknell are attached at the hip.

Franks Tanks
November 19th, 2009, 07:36 AM
Colgate would never get thrown out of anything. Lehigh, Lafayette, Colgate and Bucknell are attached at the hip.

Any chance we can get that big brown tumor removed?

Bogus Megapardus
November 19th, 2009, 07:39 AM
Any chance we can get that big brown tumor removed?

Like a hemorrhoid, it keeps growing back.

Pard94
November 19th, 2009, 08:00 AM
[/U][/B]

To quote the late Chris Schenkel, "There's no better way to spend an autumn afternoon."

So you're saying you wouldn't want the option? OK. You're on the record ngineer. If Lehigh ever installs lights I will look to you to lead the charge against the measure. Not buying what your selling.

Bogus Megapardus
November 19th, 2009, 08:34 AM
So you're saying you wouldn't want the option? OK. You're on the record ngineer. If Lehigh ever installs lights I will look to you to lead the charge against the measure. Not buying what your selling.

Everyone know pigeons don't go out after dark.

Pard94
November 19th, 2009, 08:42 AM
[/U][/B]

By the way...your "light brite" technology based score board would be a lot easier to read at night you know.

Pard94
November 19th, 2009, 08:43 AM
By the way...your "light brite" technology based score board would be a lot easier to read at night you know.

Actually that's not a good anaolgy. Lite Brite has color so it way more advanced than the scoreboard at Goodman.

Bogus Megapardus
November 19th, 2009, 09:04 AM

Be careful, P94. This assumes they can both read and count.

PAllen
November 19th, 2009, 09:57 AM

A Lafayette fan telling Lehigh to drop to D III, ...

Now that's funny!!!! xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Pard94
November 19th, 2009, 10:38 AM
A Lafayette fan telling Lehigh to drop to D III, ...

Now that's funny!!!! xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Check the facts, P...at this point in history you're a lot closer to DIII football than Lafayette. Perhaps you can find an alumn who will pony up $33million to invest in your football program and you can prove me wrong. Good luck with that.

Pard 82
November 19th, 2009, 12:00 PM
From The Morning Call:

Did you see the comments left on that blog entry:

"This was a very interesting article. It will no doubt tweak a few people over at Lehigh."
Posted By: Jim | Nov 18, 2009 8:10:32 AM

"LEHIGH STINKS"
Posted By: Jim Mccracken | Nov 18, 2009 12:25:58 PM

"Yes we do"
Posted By: Chuck Burton | Nov 18, 2009 12:26:50 PM

Bogus Megapardus
November 19th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Did you see the comments left on that blog entry:

"This was a very interesting article. It will no doubt tweak a few people over at Lehigh."
Posted By: Jim | Nov 18, 2009 8:10:32 AM

"LEHIGH STINKS"
Posted By: Jim Mccracken | Nov 18, 2009 12:25:58 PM

"Yes we do"
Posted By: Chuck Burton | Nov 18, 2009 12:26:50 PM

So it's unanimous, then.

PAllen
November 21st, 2009, 04:40 PM
Check the facts, P...at this point in history you're a lot closer to DIII football than Lafayette. Perhaps you can find an alumn who will pony up $33million to invest in your football program and you can prove me wrong. Good luck with that.

Guess we didn't need that $33 million today. Or was it the scoreboard that kept your team from getting it done?

Look, Lafayette got a big upgrade to their stadium, but let's be honest. That place was a crap hole before, now it looks decent. It's great that your alums are finally supporting the program after the attempt in the late 90s to black mail the rest of the PL, LU in particular, by threatening to drop down to DIII.

hawkineer
November 21st, 2009, 05:19 PM

I saw the lights just fine today: LEHIGH 27- GUESTS 21xsmiley_wix