PDA

View Full Version : Tennessee St @ Eastern Illinois Tonight on ESPNU - GAME/SCORE THREAD!!!

Panthers_Blue
November 16th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Tenn St. makes the trip up north to the "Chuck" to face the Panthers Thursday night on ESPNU. Kickoff is slated for 5:30pm.

EIU is coming off a 49-13 rout of the SkyHawks of Tenn Martin; QB Jake Christensen went 18-21 for 322 yards and 4 TD passes, becoming the first EIU QB to throw 4 TD passes in a game since Tony Romo in 2002. Leading receiver was Charles Graves who caught four passes for 108 yards and two TD's. Eight different players had catches for positive yards. EIU is peaking at the right time and could maybe break this OVC playoff streak.

Panthers_Blue
November 16th, 2009, 11:25 AM
bump

WestCoastAggie
November 16th, 2009, 11:26 AM
This is interesting. An OVC game in the MEAC/SWAC timeslot.

WestCoastAggie
November 16th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Pack out the house Panthers!

Buzzcut
November 16th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Good to see ESPNU spending some time in Charleston, IL for a change. I'm really pulling for you guys to win out, grab the the OVC title and the AQ for the playoffs!
GO PANTHERS!

Cocky
November 16th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Good luck in the playoffs, I wish we could have joined you this year. I feel we could have won this year against anyone anywhere.

Buzzcut
November 16th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Good luck in the playoffs, I wish we could have joined you this year. I feel we could have won this year against anyone anywhere.

Cocky, I agree completely. Looking forward to see you finish the season right with a solid win over EKU. I'm sure RP hasn't forgotten last year's game and will be looking for a little retribution.

Panthers_Blue
November 16th, 2009, 12:59 PM

Except for beating ol' EIU @ JAX State. Got to get that lil rub in there. Sorry.

JAX State has played great this year. I really think it could have been EIU and JAX State heading to the playoffs.

JSU02
November 16th, 2009, 01:03 PM
I think "J-State" is an HBCU xlolx
Perhaps you meant JAX State xthumbsupx

EKUSteve
November 16th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Cocky, I agree completely. Looking forward to see you finish the season right with a solid win over EKU. I'm sure RP hasn't forgotten last year's game and will be looking for a little retribution.

Even if EIU wins Thursday, EKU will be coming to JSU to fight hard to keep the winning season streak alive. The offense needs to play like it did in Charleston in Oct, minus all the turnovers.

Cocky
November 16th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Except for beating ol' EIU @ JAX State. Got to get that lil rub in there. Sorry.

JAX State has played great this year. I really think it could have been EIU and JAX State heading to the playoffs.

Our EIU game was probably similar to your EKU game

Panthers_Blue
November 19th, 2009, 10:52 AM
About 6hrs and 40 mins away from kickoff!

I hope the town comes out and supports to seniors

JSU02
November 19th, 2009, 12:45 PM
I'm soooo happy Comcast added ESPN 360 this year :)

Bam
November 19th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Go Tigers! (Ouch, that hurt) Step up & win one for your coach.

TTUEagles
November 19th, 2009, 02:01 PM
I'll be watching on TV - glad to see the OVC getting some air time. TSU is a tricky team - very good defense and Preston Brown is a good back, but, they haven't used him much (injury?) this year. This is an interesting game, to me...I think EIU wins it out, though...too many problems on TSU's O-line and inept-ness at QB. But, it wouldn't suprise me to see TSU keep it close or win it.
What a wishy-washy post this is...

JSU02
November 19th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Lets keep this ambiguous...
GO Big Blue! Go Panthera sp.! Beat those Panthera sp.! LOL

SDSUJacks
November 19th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Good luck tonight EIU!

JSU02
November 19th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Ok, why isn't this game on ESPN360? WTF?

Lehigh Football Nation
November 19th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Because it's an ESPNU game. ESPNU games are not carried on ESPN360.

My fearless prediction:

EIU 27
TSU 6

Head Cat
November 19th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Sloppy play by both teams in the first quarter, 0-0 late in the first.

Head Cat
November 19th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Blocked 43-yard field goal attempt by EIU's Andre Lima to keep it scoreless midway through the second period.

Head Cat
November 19th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Color analyst Jay Walker says the CAA still has a chance for six teams in the playoffs. What an idiot. He also has Montana State and Lafayette getting in. He must not have been a math major at Howard.

Keenan
November 19th, 2009, 06:39 PM
This game is sore on the eyes. TSU has NO offense and I'm not the least bit impressed by EIU. Hopefully, someone gets it together before the half ends.

Keenan
November 19th, 2009, 06:46 PM
The first fade wasn't ugly enough they had to go to it again? xconfusedx Pretty weak play calling down inside the red zone for EIU.

Keenan
November 19th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Color analyst Jay Walker says the CAA still has a chance for six teams in the playoffs. What an idiot. He also has Montana State and Lafayette getting in. He must not have been a math major at Howard.

Yeah, I heard that as well. Jay Walker certainly showed his ignorance with those remarks.

Head Cat
November 19th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Eastern Illinois finally gets a Austin Signor 20-yard field goal after a good punt return and a Pass Interference penalty gets them into scoring range. The Panthers blew a first and goal at the three.

Head Cat
November 19th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Yeah, I heard that as well. Jay Walker certainly showed his ignorance with those remarks.

Maybe he's been talking to Mickey Matthews. Mickey told him that JMU is in with a win on Saturday.

Head Cat
November 19th, 2009, 06:50 PM
The first fade wasn't ugly enough they had to go to it again? xconfusedx Pretty weak play calling down inside the red zone for EIU.

Eastern Illinois looks very nervous in this one and their poor execution shows on offense. The Panther defense is playing well and blitzing like crazy against TSU's porous line.

Keenan
November 19th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Maybe he's been talking to Mickey Matthews. Mickey told him that JMU is in with a win on Saturday.

xlolx

For real though, I wish there was a spot for JMU in the playoffs. There's a great team that's going to be sitting at home just like my Flames. xsmhx

Keenan
November 19th, 2009, 07:04 PM
TSU -0
EIU -3
Halftime

Not sure I can watch more of this game. Usually you would chalk a 3-0 lead up to a great defensive battle, but I'm afraid it's more of the inept offenses. Absolutely ugly game to watch. It's a shame the OVC is going to be represented by EIU in the playoffs. I don't know how they're going to be competitive with whomever they get matched up with in the first round. I hope I just watched the worst half they have played all season.

GATA
November 19th, 2009, 07:13 PM
TSU -0
EIU -3
Halftime

Not sure I can watch more of this game. Usually you would chalk a 3-0 lead up to a great defensive battle, but I'm afraid it's more of the inept offenses. Absolutely ugly game to watch. It's a shame the OVC is going to be represented by EIU in the playoffs. I don't know how they're going to be competitive with whomever they get matched up with in the first round. I hope I just watched the worst half they have played all season.

I'm quite surprised by how much trouble EIU is having here. It only takes a casual observer about 10 minutes to realize that TSU is completely outmanned. This shouldn't be so close.

SumItUp
November 19th, 2009, 07:27 PM
EIU is not going to the second round of the playoffs.

GATA
November 19th, 2009, 07:28 PM
TSU has the worst offensive line I've ever seen. I thought Georgia Southern had a bad offensive line.

JSU02
November 19th, 2009, 07:30 PM
TSU has the worst offensive line I've ever seen. I thought Georgia Southern had a bad offensive line.

What he said, geez they are awfull xsmhx

Keenan
November 19th, 2009, 07:38 PM
This is a terrible game for the OVC. xcoffeex

Head Cat
November 19th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Signor has his 45-yard field goal attempt blocked by Tennessee State. He is now 1-of-3 on field goals and still 3-0 midway through the third period. Ugly game.

Head Cat
November 19th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Have you seen Delaware's offensive line?

Head Cat
November 19th, 2009, 07:39 PM
This is a terrible game for the OVC. xcoffeex

Southern Illinois has to be salivating, thinking it will be playing the Panthers in round one of the playoffs.

SumItUp
November 19th, 2009, 07:40 PM

I think he spent about 45 seconds in preparation for this "FCS" game.

Keenan
November 19th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Southern Illinois has to be salivating, thinking it will be playing the Panthers in round one of the playoffs.

Southern Illinois would just obliterate Eastern Illinois. 55-3 sounds about right. xnodx

Head Cat
November 19th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Finally a touchdown on McNairl's QB sneak. TSU 7, EIU 3 with 3:39 left in the third.

Head Cat
November 19th, 2009, 07:46 PM
I think he spent about 45 seconds in preparation for this "FCS" game.

He covers games on Thursday night in FCS EVERY week. He ought to know better.

Keenan
November 19th, 2009, 07:51 PM
So, if EIU loses, who gets the OVC bid? EKU could get it with an EIU loss and a win at JSU, right? I guess the odds of EKU beating JSU aren't very good, but they've got to feel good watching this game right now.

EKU05
November 19th, 2009, 07:58 PM
So, if EIU loses, who gets the OVC bid? EKU could get it with an EIU loss and a win at JSU, right? I guess the odds of EKU beating JSU aren't very good, but they've got to feel good watching this game right now.

We certainly will be underdogs, but our defense is good enough to keep us in any game most of the way through. If we play like we did at IU, or even UK we'll have a chance. Go Tigers!

JSU02
November 19th, 2009, 08:03 PM
TD TSU! WOOT WOOT!

Keenan
November 19th, 2009, 08:03 PM
We certainly will be underdogs, but our defense is good enough to keep us in any game most of the way through. If we play like we did at IU, or even UK we'll have a chance. Go Tigers!

Hello Colonels!

TSU-14
EIU-3
13:44 4th

MR. CHICKEN
November 19th, 2009, 08:04 PM
EASTERN ILLINOIS......THUD......xeekx......BRAWK!!

Keenan
November 19th, 2009, 08:05 PM
Playoff picture just shifted slightly! Good start to the final weekend!

MR. CHICKEN
November 19th, 2009, 08:12 PM
OOOPS!....PANTHERS BACK IN IT...........xpopcornx........AWK!

Keenan
November 19th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Game on!

TSU-14
EIU-10
10:11 4th

MR. CHICKEN
November 19th, 2009, 08:21 PM
EASTERN ILLINOIS......THUD......xeekx......BRAWK!!

JSU02
November 19th, 2009, 08:22 PM
TD TSU! WOOT WOOT!

Keenan
November 19th, 2009, 08:26 PM
GPI
TSU #103
EIU #22

xeekxxeekxxeekxxeekx

I'm loving it though because EIU is currently ranked ahead of Liberty in all three polls! :D

Keenan
November 19th, 2009, 08:28 PM
INT by TSU with 6:31 to go. Wow! xthumbsupx

MR. CHICKEN
November 19th, 2009, 08:29 PM
TIE GOES TA OFFENSE......EIU.....SCREWED!

Keenan
November 19th, 2009, 08:34 PM
TIE GOES TA OFFENSE......EIU.....SCREWED!

I'm sure their fans will blame losing on that call, but there will be fingers pointing in many directions. What an embarrassment for EIU!

MR. CHICKEN
November 19th, 2009, 08:35 PM
TICK...TICK...TICK.........BRAWK!

MR. CHICKEN
November 19th, 2009, 08:36 PM
I'm sure their fans will blame losing on that call, but there will be fingers pointing in many directions. What an embarrassment for EIU!

AGREED K...xnodx...AWK!

Keenan
November 19th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Just think. EIU could be playing next weekend. xbowx

MR. CHICKEN
November 19th, 2009, 08:39 PM
2:22 TA GO...IT'S ALL OVERAH....:(....DOODLE-DOO!

MR. CHICKEN
November 19th, 2009, 08:46 PM
TIGERS OVERAH PANTHERS....IN DUH OVC FOOD CHAIN.....xrotatehx....AWK!

Keenan
November 19th, 2009, 08:46 PM
TSU-21
EIU-10
FINAL

Eastern Kentucky still alive

MR. CHICKEN
November 19th, 2009, 08:49 PM
ALL UP TA JAX STATE....xwhistlex....AWK!

MR. CHICKEN
November 19th, 2009, 08:53 PM
UH....QUITE DUH YAWNER.......TIL 4th Q.......GLAD FO' OP TA OGLE...UH OVC....STEEL CAGE MATCH...........JES' 'NOTHERAH PIGGY..IN DUH CHICKEN'S...2009 RESUME.......AWK!!

TTUEagles
November 19th, 2009, 08:54 PM
TSU coach may get to keep his job after this...What int the hell, EIU...???

JohnStOnge
November 19th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Just caught the end of it. Wow. I didn't see that one coming. I thought EIU was a playoff lock. If I'm reading the standings right they still have a good shot with EKU having to play at Jacksonville State.

But I hope EKU wins so the OVC will not have one of those situations like the Southland had last year where the real champion is inelligible for the playoffs.

JSU02
November 19th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Just caught the end of it. Wow. I didn't see that one coming. I thought EIU was a playoff lock. If I'm reading the standings right they still have a good shot with EKU having to play at Jacksonville State.

But I hope EKU wins so the OVC will not have one of those situations like the Southland had last year where the real champion is inelligible for the playoffs.

I couldn't disagree more xsmiley_wix

WrenFGun
November 19th, 2009, 09:32 PM
The real question is if this interrupts with who SIU would play. Would EKU also be a regional partner?

UNI Pike
November 19th, 2009, 09:37 PM
The real question is if this interrupts with who SIU would play. Would EKU also be a regional partner?

Does it really matter - OVC proving to be playoff canon fodder once again.

TTUEagles
November 19th, 2009, 09:56 PM
http://www.tennessean.com/article/20091119/SPORTS060402/91119117/2072/SPORTS/TSU+football+coach+resigns+after+upset+win

TSU coach resigns...

TTUEagles
November 19th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Does it really matter - OVC proving to be playoff canon fodder once again.

Probably true. Let the annual OVC bashing get into full swing!xsmhx

UNI Pike
November 19th, 2009, 10:03 PM
I say "Go out on top," but doing it on the field, that was all pre-arranged.

Redbirdz
November 19th, 2009, 11:57 PM
Look for Jacksonville State to win the OVC Saturday...even if the Gamecocks can't take the auto bid to the playoffs because of the APR thing. We will still know who the real champion is.

Geaux25
November 20th, 2009, 12:41 AM
Will EIU's loss affect other first round games besides the one the were presumably going to play in against SIU?

If so, which ones?

siuham
November 20th, 2009, 02:17 AM
Doubt it.

EKU is still closer to SIU than anywhere else that would host them I think.

Bam
November 20th, 2009, 07:08 AM
Thanks TSU. xbowx EKU has a pulse, even if it is a slight one. xthumbsupx

JaxSinfonian
November 20th, 2009, 08:04 AM
EKU has a not-impossible task facing them tomorrow. But I think it won't go their way. The streak will be snapped as JSU puts the exclamation mark on a tremendous and frustrating season. Think back to Jax State's first game in the OVC in 2003; that's the kind of game I expect.

And for those of you penciling EIU's first-round opponent in for the second round, sure, that's the easy bet. But if Spoo has his squad as ready to go as they were in Jacksonville last month anything will be possible.

Bam
November 20th, 2009, 08:12 AM
EKU has a not-impossible task facing them tomorrow. But I think it won't go their way. The streak will be snapped as JSU puts the exclamation mark on a tremendous and frustrating season. Think back to Jax State's first game in the OVC in 2003; that's the kind of game I expect.

And for those of you penciling EIU's first-round opponent in for the second round, sure, that's the easy bet. But if Spoo has his squad as ready to go as they were in Jacksonville last month anything will be possible.

How can this yr. be tremendous with no playoffs & a * in the OVC record books? xnonono2x

Panthers_Blue
November 20th, 2009, 09:06 AM

And for those of you penciling EIU's first-round opponent in for the second round, sure, that's the easy bet but if Spoo has his squad as ready to go as they were in Jacksonville last month anything will be possible.

I agree but last night was one of Wittke's worst games as an OC. Yes, the players have to execute but he was not calling a good game at all. We did not look like the same EIU team like the one that showed up last weekend and at JaxSt. It was a short week and a lot was already invested in the Tenn Martin game four days ago (2008 post-game video scandal). We weren't ready, and for such a big game on TV we dropped the ball mentally and physically.

Just wait and see what happens Saturday. (with EKU and JSU)

In the mean time Spoo needs to get the troops ready for a possible 1st round game. If he has them in the right mindset like he has previous games this year, anything is possible.

Just like the name of this site "Any Given Saturday"

Golden Eagle
November 20th, 2009, 09:54 AM
How can this yr. be tremendous with no playoffs & a * in the OVC record books? xnonono2x

Possibly because they are playing purely for pride. Nothing else to motivate them. And they're doing it well.

Bam
November 20th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Possibly because they are playing purely for pride. Nothing else to motivate them. And they're doing it well.

True that. EKU has a little pride to show this weekend as well. "Pride is a personal commitment. It is an attitude which separates excellence from mediocrity.”

JaxSinfonian
November 20th, 2009, 01:00 PM

There'll be no asterisk next to JSU's name for any accomplishment that goes in the record books. An asterisk generally denotes an achievement for which there's an argument that the team or player didn't really earn their standing above the others on the list. These players have earned every point of every win (well, except perhaps for that Calvin Middleton TD in the UT-Martin game during which the ref must have blinked while his knee was on the ground). It's the actions of players in the past and the staff who let those things happen that kept this team out of the postseason, not anything the kids who will be on the field tomorrow have done.

JSU is a couple of botched special teams plays away from being undefeated (so far) against FCS competition. It's been clear since September in Tallahassee that this team can play with almost anyone when their heads are in the right place. It's been fun to watch a team with that kind of confidence in their own ability, playoff berth or not. Perrilloux's Payton-caliber season alone has made it one to remember, and there's been much more to enjoy than that.

Cocky
November 20th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Talent wise we can match up with anyone, Coaching wise .....

EKUSteve
November 21st, 2009, 07:57 AM
Doubt it.

EKU is still closer to SIU than anywhere else that would host them I think.

Except we spent the last two years in Richmond. If we win today, could it be three in a row in Spidey land?