PDA

View Full Version : Oh my... a Liberty thread

4th and What?
November 16th, 2009, 09:23 AM
To try and keep most of the Liberty talk (I am to blame as well) to a minimum in other threads I wanted to take a look at their actual situation.

Right now I think most will agree they are on the outside looking in. They need help this upcoming weekend, though that help can come in different forms. Also, I am not comparing other teams scenarios, simply what it would take for Liberty to be able to get a bid above each team.

I see five at large spots still being available *if* teams that currently have a win and in scenario lose (SD St, Elon, UNI, SF Austin/McNeese, EWU).

Some of these games should be easy for the teams, but who knows....ya know, that whole any given saturday thing.

SD State @ Western Ill. - This should be a gimmie for SD State. Western Ill is 0-7 in the MVC, have lost 9 straight, and are coming off a 34-0 drubbing by UNI. However, IF SD State should lose this, they are probably behind Liberty ending the season with 3 straight losses (even if two of those teams are SIU and Minnesota).

UNI @ Illinois State - I haven't seen a Illinois State game all year....or actually ever I think. Just by looking at stats they weren't able to hang well with SD St or SIU, but they are at home and are a solid second tier team in the MVC. I saw UNI in the Iowa game at the start of the season and they looked like monsters. Haven't seen them live since then, and not sure why they have had a somewhat mediocre season. UNI has looked great all season excpet when it has mattered. They will be a potential monster if they get into the playoffs, but as far as resumes go, they fall short with a loss to Ill St. I think this will be one game Liberty fans need to be watching closely.

Elon @ Samford - Elon was embarrassed last week by App St. Elon also got pretty banged up and have some injuries coming into this week. Meanwhile, Samford has been stepping it up recently winning @Wofford last week and against GSU the week before, and the game is at Samford. Oh, and this is Elon, so blowing big games at the end of the year is nothing new. Elon has no signature win to prop them up if the lose to a team they shouldn't. The best they have is @Furman, which is a good win, but their OOC schedule was hideous. A loss here by Elon would give Liberty a very strong argument to get a bid over Elon. This is definitely the game Liberty fans are watching.

EWU @ NAU - NAU has already probably cost Montana St the playoffs and will be looking to do the same to EWU at home. An EWU loss means they don't have the 7 D-I wins necessary for an at large. The haven't been blown out against FCS competition at all except the Weber St loss last week 27-9, and that was with Weber St scoring 14 in the 4th qtr. NAU took Montana to overtime, so have shown they can play with anybody. NAU definitely has a shot here, however, EWU has been riding high recently with three straight wins, and took down SUU on the road last week, which was SUU's first home loss all season. Liberty fans should be watching this, but as I have been drinking the BSC kool aid all season, I am really liking EWU in this game myself.

SF Austin @ NW State - I am not going to pretend to know how a NW State loss would effect SF Austin's playoff chances for an at-large if McNeese wins. Therefore I will just state that SF Austin is not going to lose to a team that has yet to win a game. NW State has kept a few games close, but I don't see SF Austin screwing about here.

McNeese St vs UCA - Not sure if most people are writing this game off as a McNeese win, but while UCA is 2-4 in the Southland, they haven't lost a conference game by more than 4 points. I also haven't seen UCA play at all this year, so can't put much personal input into it. However, stat-wise it looks like a play here and a play there could of put UCA right in the mix of things for the Southland. Even with a loss though, McNeese may still land an at-large over Liberty. McNeese would only have losses to an FBS team (Tulane), SF Austin (playoff bound), and UCA. Liberty meanwhile has losses to WVU and JMU, but no win over a playoff bound team, such as McNeese has over App St. I don't think this game matters a bit to Liberty, as they can't get a bid over McNeese.

Two other games I see as matter for Liberty's chances. Montana St and Weber St. Either of those teams win, and they will claim a spot over Liberty. I don't see a 2nd PL team getting a bid over Liberty, as it appears Liberty should get the bid above Lafayette with the head to head, and though some are still including Colgate in their posts, I don't think Colgate has any chance. The Great West has eaten each other to the point of none have 7 wins, and I see Liberty having a better resume than FAMU or CCSU.

Montana St vs Montana - No idea what will happen here. Montana and Montana St have both shown signs of greatness this year, and signs of utter weakness. If there were any preconceptions about this game, it's a huge rivalry, so you generally throw them out anyway. If Montana St takes down the Griz, they jump a whole slew of people for an at-large, meanwhile Montana is playing for a seed and regardless of how bad they have played against some teams, they have always come out with the W. Liberty fans need to be pulling for Montana here hard.

Weber St vs Cal Poly - Cal Poly have self destructed hard this year, have yet to win on the road, and have lost three straight. That being said, they are still Cal Poly, with an explosive offense if you sleep on them. Weber St is in over Liberty with a win here, their only losses would be to Montana and Montana St, and a win over EWU, all playoff contention teams. If they lose, they don't have 7 D-I wins, as they scheduled two FBS teams and lost to both, even if they were well played games.

In closing, of the five at-large spots not locked up just yet, two of them are probably not available to Liberty (McNeese and SD State). That leaves three spots, and five teams that will get in over Liberty IMO with a win. Liberty absolutely needs Montana to take care of business on the road this weekend, and then pull for two upsets, the most likely coming from Elon @ Samford.....and then a second from......somewhere that I don't see as being at all likely. Should Montana St or Elon win, Liberty's chances are pretty well doused for this season.

Libertine
November 16th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Yep, that pretty much covers it. Thanks, 4th.

Saluki09
November 16th, 2009, 09:45 AM
I think the most chance of Liberty getting in goes through the Big Sky. I really don't see SDSU or UNI losing, Elon...no can't really see them losing despite their history of meltdowns of epic proportions. SFA and McNeese...not so much. I really do think Liberty's road to the playoffs is through the Big Sky.

knucklehead
November 16th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Great work 4th. Thanks for the effort and for our own little thread.

I see it about like that as well. Things didn't go according to plan as far as help this past weekend. So LU needs 2 or 3 rabbits pulled out of hats at this point.

It makes sense and I understand SOS, conference affiliation, and tradition; but it will be a shame to see if a 9-2 LU team gets left out. But we should have beaten JMU in the Lynchburg Monsoon, and now we have to get the help I'm afraid.

IaaScribe
November 16th, 2009, 10:03 AM
The years that there have been "playoff outliers," i.e., non-traditional playoff teams, it's been because the traditional power conferences were one-bid leagues. In 2006, Coastal Carolina got in, in a season where the Southland was one-bid.

In 2003, Florida Atlantic and Bethune-Cookman got "outlier" bids because both the SoCon and the Southland were one-bid leagues. (Four Gateway teams that year, too. Wow.)

And Saluki's right. The only way the Flames will make it is if the Big Sky or the SoCon is a one-bid league this time around. I find that scenario extremely unlikely, though Samford is a tough finish for Elon.

I'll be interested to see what happens if, say, Eastern Washington, Montana State and Weber State all win this weekend. Are those three playing for one spot? What happens if Elon loses and all three of those teams win? Liberty probably loses out in that scenario, too.

I will say this. I think the committee watches a little more game tape of the teams that we do here, so they'll see exactly what happened in the Liberty-JMU game. It was 10-10 heading into the fourth quarter, and that last JMU touchdown with about three minutes left was set up by an interception deep in LU territory when the Flames were desperately trying to tie the game. It's not the blowout some here make it out to be. Nor was the Lafayette game particularly close. Liberty led 16-0 at halftime and was in control throughout. Lafayette never had the ball with a chance to tie or take the lead.

So how does a 9-2 team from a non-power league fare against an 8-3 Big Sky team in the selection committee's eyes? History says the 8-3 power-league team will get the nod every time. But who knows? This committee has surprised us in the past (Maine last year, for example.)

WrenFGun
November 16th, 2009, 10:09 AM
This is a very solid post, but I think McNeese and SFA are locks at this point. If UNI and SDSU win, they're in. If they lose, they're out, though only because SDSU would have lost three in a row, including one to a terrible WIU team, to end the season.

If Montana State or Eastern Washington win, they're in. Weber State, IMO, might be in with a win over CP and a loss to by the two other BSC teams. I think if Liberty wants to feel "comfortably" in, all three BSC teams will need to lose, or 2 with other losses.

Elon is out with a loss to Samford. They won't have a win remotely close to what Liberty has. I think this is their best chance of entry.

4th and What?
November 16th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Completely agree with you Scribe..... much easier way of saying it than I did, Socon and/or BSC need to be 1-bid leagues for Liberty to have a shot. Especially with a Montana St win, I can see the BSC easily being a 3-bid league this season, as the Montana St win would signifiantly improve both Weber St's and EWU's resumes. If all three BSC contention teams win this weekend, and two of Elon/McNeese/UNI lose......dare I say it? Damnit....I'm already drifting from Liberty.....

Tod
November 16th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Does a 7-4 Weber State team get in over a 9-2 Liberty?

knucklehead
November 16th, 2009, 10:37 AM
I will say this. I think the committee watches a little more game tape of the teams that we do here, so they'll see exactly what happened in the Liberty-JMU game. It was 10-10 heading into the fourth quarter, and that last JMU touchdown with about three minutes left was set up by an interception deep in LU territory when the Flames were desperately trying to tie the game. It's not the blowout some here make it out to be. Nor was the Lafayette game particularly close. Liberty led 16-0 at halftime and was in control throughout. Lafayette never had the ball with a chance to tie or take the lead.

Best description I've seen of what I saw live that night VS JMU. It was a very competetive (though very sloppy) game till that pick.

So, how will the committee look at what they have seen of this year's LU team. I know SOS is important, but most of the wins have been impressive. Does that help in their eyes?

One thing for sure: this is not Last years senario or last years team.

hoseman
November 16th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Pulling for LU to make the playoffs! LU keeps getting stronger later in the season.

(If for some strange reason LU doesn't go, they won't have PC to blame this year.

ToTheLeft
November 16th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Don't forget guys... the committee doesn't always follow our logic. I'm not saying we'll get in, but don't be surprised...

g-webb1994
November 16th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Hate to say it, but LU gets the screwjob again. The JMU game will be to blame this time. Even if they go to SBU and hang 50 on them, it won't help.:(

knucklehead
November 16th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Don't forget guys... the committee doesn't always follow our logic. I'm not saying we'll get in, but don't be surprised...

That is what I was alluding too earlier. This committe's logic can't really be definde. I will not be surprised either way. xeyebrowx

Pards Rule
November 16th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Maybe we could interest you guys in a consolation game?

knucklehead
November 16th, 2009, 11:37 AM

No offense, but we hope we have better things to do than sit around and console you guys after we beat you! :D

Dane96
November 16th, 2009, 11:41 AM

No.

Bogus Megapardus
November 16th, 2009, 11:50 AM
I will say this. I think the committee watches a little more game tape of the teams that we do here, so they'll see exactly what happened in the Liberty-JMU game. It was 10-10 heading into the fourth quarter, and that last JMU touchdown with about three minutes left was set up by an interception deep in LU territory when the Flames were desperately trying to tie the game. It's not the blowout some here make it out to be.

Umm . . . I hope for your sake that the committee (assuming that they actually do watch game films) doesn't watch the Lib.U./Lafayette game at the same time. Liberty should have lost that game. Anyone who saw it knows that.

Splendid notion, Pards. I'd buy chairbacks for that one.

Libertine
November 16th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Yeeeeaaaaaaah. I'm going to need you to step away from the Qualudes for five seconds, m'kay?

IaaScribe
November 16th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Umm . . . I hope for your sake that the committee (assuming that they actually do watch game films) doesn't watch the Lib.U./Lafayette game at the same time. Liberty should have lost that game. Anyone who saw it knows that.

Splendid notion, Pards. I'd buy chairbacks for that one.

Um, I was at that game. Liberty should have lost it? The Flames were ahead the entire way, up 19-6 until the last five minutes of the fourth quarter. Liberty was the better team that night, just as Lafayette was the better team that day in 2008.

4th and What?
November 16th, 2009, 12:15 PM

No.

Nice well balanced argument there.

I think Weber St probably gets the nod there. They have a win over EWU, another potential/probable playoff team, which Liberty does not since Lafayette lost.

Weber St lost to Montana and Montana St, but those are no worse and arguably better than a loss to JMU.

Weber St lost to two FBS teams, but were competitive with Wyoming, and really should of beat Colorado St. Liberty was competitive with WVU, but not quite on the level as Weber St was. Granted though, WVU is a much stronger FBS team.

I think you can make an argument for either 7-4 Weber St or 9-2 Liberty, and will probably just come down to the opinion of the committee. In my opinion it may simply be that Weber St has a signature win over EWU that Liberty just cannot match.

ToTheLeft
November 16th, 2009, 12:22 PM
The only chance WSU v. Liberty comes up is if EWU loses. A 6 DI win EWU team is a SIGNATURE win? Hah. 7-3 EWU is in ahead of LU 9 out of 10 times. ON the other hand, beating 6-4 EWU is nothing special to brag about. Especially since that loss would be to non-playoff-NAU.

Tribe07
November 16th, 2009, 06:07 PM
I'm really hoping for Liberty to slip into the field so the W&M/UR loser doesn't go to either App State or out west.

ASU_MBA
November 16th, 2009, 06:31 PM
I think the Laf. loss killed the Liberty hopes....they now lack a quality win in a weak conference.
Even if McNeese and or Stephen F. lose this week they still get in over Liberty.

Schfourteenteen
November 16th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Nice well balanced argument there.

I think Weber St probably gets the nod there. They have a win over EWU, another potential/probable playoff team, which Liberty does not since Lafayette lost.

Weber St lost to Montana and Montana St, but those are no worse and arguably better than a loss to JMU.

Weber St lost to two FBS teams, but were competitive with Wyoming, and really should of beat Colorado St. Liberty was competitive with WVU, but not quite on the level as Weber St was. Granted though, WVU is a much stronger FBS team.

I think you can make an argument for either 7-4 Weber St or 9-2 Liberty, and will probably just come down to the opinion of the committee. In my opinion it may simply be that Weber St has a signature win over EWU that Liberty just cannot match.

The decision between Liberty and Weber State is closely tied to the success of EWU. An EWU win gives Weber a quality win, but a loss leaves Weber with nothing to be proud of.

The other interesting debate is whether an 8-3 Elon gets in over Liberty. Elon would have 0 top 40 wins and two losses to good teams. JMU is obviously not as good as App State but Elon didn't play App State close, either. Elon would be relying on wins over .500 SoCon teams along with their OOC schedule that included cream puffs and a Wake Forest team that has tanked and now sits at 4-7.

On the flip side, Liberty has 1 win against a top 40 team and has no bad losses, but the overall makeup of their schedule is worse than Elon's. The fact that Liberty DIDNT beat JMU is probably worse than losing to JMU because Liberty now must hang their hat on a win at Lafayette. 8-3 Also is the invisible bar that normally gives power confernce teams a bid.

I'm still torn on this one, but I wouldn't be surprised that Elon gets in at 8-3 either.

Liberty fans will be biting their nails ragardless of how many teams lose this Saturday.

Schfourteenteen
November 16th, 2009, 06:42 PM
I think the Laf. loss killed the Liberty hopes....they now lack a quality win in a weak conference.
Even if McNeese and or Stephen F. lose this week they still get in over Liberty.

Killed? Not so fast my friend. We do need a miracle(2 losses to have hope and 3 to get in).

McNeese is in. SFA losing this week would absolutely knock them out because of WHO they would lose to. Northwestern State has no business being on the field with them.

Pards Rule
November 16th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Um, I was at that game. Liberty should have lost it? The Flames were ahead the entire way, up 19-6 until the last five minutes of the fourth quarter. Liberty was the better team that night, just as Lafayette was the better team that day in 2008.

Agreed..I was there too

knucklehead
November 16th, 2009, 07:43 PM
All this talk is so much fun. I love speculation, so bring it on. Liberty needs quite a bit of help and to win a very tough away game. We can talk about the ifs all we want but who knows at this point.

I also love how someone tried to make a Liberty thread to confine all the talk to and there is already another one and the LU talk is all over the board. :D

OH yea, Mike Brown is my hero!

Schfourteenteen
November 16th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Poor AGS.

Just wait till the rest of us come over here when were #16 in the GPI tomorrow.

knucklehead
November 16th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Poor AGS.

Just wait till the rest of us come over here when were #16 in the GPI tomorrow.

That will be fun to hear the explanations of that one.

Keenan
November 16th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Hate to say it, but LU gets the screwjob again. The JMU game will be to blame this time. Even if they go to SBU and hang 50 on them, it won't help.:(

Making this statement for what purpose? What you're essentially saying is that the 2008 Presbyterian Blue Hose = 2009 James Madison Dukes? No LU fan will ever deny how bad the '08 Presby loss was and the sole reason we missed the playoffs. However, the '09 loss to JMU is a completely different book. After JMU beats Towson this weekend they will be a 6-5 team and a TD away from being a playoff contender. So...

2008 Presbyterian loss=BAD LOSS
2009 James Madision loss=QUALITY LOSS

Either way you slice it, a loss is a loss. There is certainly a big difference between a bad loss and a quality loss. Liberty does not have a bad loss on its resume this year and the committee has been known to include teams without a bad loss (i.e. 2008 Maine). And if we do hang 50 on the road at Stony Brook, that will say something considering Stony Brooks largest margin of defeat this season was 27 (17-44) @ UMass on 09/26/09. In three home games this season (how do you only schedule 4 home games?), SBU has not given up more than 20.

4th and What?
November 16th, 2009, 08:50 PM
What I don't get is how everyone but Liberty fans think Liberty has no shot at the playoffs, yet the three human polls all rank Liberty above EWU, who are last team in on most people's brackets. That many Liberty fans filling out the polls?

Keenan
November 16th, 2009, 09:11 PM
What I don't get is how everyone but Liberty fans think Liberty has no shot at the playoffs, yet the three human polls all rank Liberty above EWU, who are last team in on most people's brackets. That many Liberty fans filling out the polls?

The computers love Eastern Washington, but I don't see them jumping Liberty in the human polls if they both win next week. I do see Montana State jumping EWU and Liberty with a win over Montana, and rightfully so! Liberty jumped 7 spots in the Sagarin ratings this week which is a good sign that the computer gap with EWU is closing. Tomorrows GPI release will be enlightening. Liberty's resume is certainly in better shape this season as compared to this time last season. We're higher across all the polls heading into the final week than we were last year.

Schfourteenteen
November 16th, 2009, 09:24 PM

I get what you're saying, but you cant define a loss to JMU a "Quality" loss. Maybe the wording needs to be changed. Decent? Okay? Top 25(in a week)?

Keenan
November 16th, 2009, 09:38 PM
I get what you're saying, but you cant define a loss to JMU a "Quality" loss. Maybe the wording needs to be changed. Decent? Okay? Top 25(in a week)?

James Madison is currently #13FCS team in USA Today Sagarin ratings. What about that isn't quality? I'd take JMU over a lot of teams that will be in the playoff field this year. A 38-35 loss to Maryland which they led most of the way and a late 21-17 loss to Richmond. The Dukes were sooo close to being a great team this year. I will say it again.

2009 James Madison loss=QUALITY LOSS

knucklehead
November 16th, 2009, 09:45 PM
James Madison is currently #13FCS team in USA Today Sagarin ratings. What about that isn't quality? I'd take JMU over a lot of teams that will be in the playoff field this year. A 38-35 loss to Maryland which they led most of the way and a late 21-17 loss to Richmond. The Dukes were sooo close to being a great team this year. I will say it again.

2009 James Madison loss=QUALITY LOSS

I just have a hard time with ANY loss being good in any way. JMU is a very good team, but we should have beat them.

SumItUp
November 16th, 2009, 09:47 PM

I could be wrong (if Mods share this information, they could verify), but I think there is only 1 Liberty pollster (he has made it known that he votes) on AGS although there could be more. Coach Rocco is one of the coaches selected to vote in the Coaches Poll. The reporter that covers the Liberty Flames for the local newspaper votes in the TSN poll. He is very fair and has done a good job of being informed about FCS throughout the country. He makes his polls public every week. We do have a few posters on AGS and we like to share our thoughts, but we're not stuffing any ballot boxes.

We're confident that our school will climb into the elite of FCS, but we're not there yet. We just want a chance at the playoffs.

ASU_MBA
November 16th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Making this statement for what purpose? What you're essentially saying is that the 2008 Presbyterian Blue Hose = 2009 James Madison Dukes? No LU fan will ever deny how bad the '08 Presby loss was and the sole reason we missed the playoffs. However, the '09 loss to JMU is a completely different book. After JMU beats Towson this weekend they will be a 6-5 team and a TD away from being a playoff contender. So...

2008 Presbyterian loss=BAD LOSS

Either way you slice it, a loss is a loss. There is certainly a big difference between a bad loss and a quality loss. Liberty does not have a bad loss on its resume this year and the committee has been known to include teams without a bad loss (i.e. 2008 Maine). And if we do hang 50 on the road at Stony Brook, that will say something considering Stony Brooks largest margin of defeat this season was 27 (17-44) @ UMass on 09/26/09. In three home games this season (how do you only schedule 4 home games?), SBU has not given up more than 20.

The difference is that in 08 you had a quality win over the 2nd or 3rd place SoCon team with Elon. You lack a quality win this year. Which is better a quality loss or a quality win? Because you have the first and not the second.
You need help to get in....and if you get in, you are W&M or Richmond bound and then you will have to hear the "they don't belong here" crap when you get blown out.
best of luck but you needed to beat a JMU team that lost to Hofstra.

SumItUp
November 16th, 2009, 10:13 PM
The difference is that in 08 you had a quality win over the 2nd or 3rd place SoCon team with Elon. You lack a quality win this year. Which is better a quality loss or a quality win? Because you have the first and not the second.

What is the quality win for the Elon team that you beat last week? Does it compare to Lafayette?

ToTheLeft
November 16th, 2009, 10:20 PM
I vote for AGS. I am not sure if anyone else does except for maybe jcmanson. BJWilliams has in the past, not sure if he does now. At the most we are about 2-4% of the voters.

ASU_MBA
November 16th, 2009, 10:21 PM
What is the quality win for the Elon team that you beat last week? Does it compare to Lafayette?

Really? look at the GPI for the SoCon and then look at the Big South.

So now we look at the quality wins of quality wins......gggeeezz...

what is next the quality wins of quality wins of quality wins.

Where does Holy Cross fit in?

Again good luck getting in, I know it would mean a lot to your program.

Schfourteenteen
November 16th, 2009, 10:22 PM
That's an interesting thought. Elon being a quality win. It is, but they also didnt make the playoffs.

To answer that question, A loss to Presbyterian - #91 GPI Presbyterian - and a win over #16 Elon is worse than a win over lets say #30 GPI Lafayette without a bad loss.

bjtheflamesfan
November 16th, 2009, 10:30 PM
I vote for AGS. I am not sure if anyone else does except for maybe jcmanson. BJWilliams has in the past, not sure if he does now. At the most we are about 2-4% of the voters.

I still do TTL...but LU fans certainly are very much a minority among the AGS voters

Schfourteenteen
November 16th, 2009, 10:36 PM
There is the big question for the committee: Do you look at the overall SOS? If a team(of the bubble teams) has the best win with the best "worst loss" but plays an overall weaker schedule, is 8-2 enough? Liberty, Elon and UNI are all teams that have become a mystery because of their schedule.

ASU_MBA
November 16th, 2009, 10:51 PM
Will the committee punish Liberty for playing West Virginia Wesleyan and NC Central out of conference instead of playing a better opponent to offset the weak Big South? Lots of questions and things to consider...

I will be pulling for Samford against Elon this week....I know that will help you guys....I just can't stand Elon....to heck with the SoCon loyalty crap.

ToTheLeft
November 16th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Will the committee punish Liberty for playing West Virginia Wesleyan and NC Central out of conference instead of playing a better opponent to offset the weak Big South? Lots of questions and things to consider...

I will be pulling for Samford against Elon this week....I know that will help you guys....I just can't stand Elon....to heck with the SoCon loyalty crap.

I assume you meant Liberty. And how I WISH Iona hadn't folded. LU with a 9-1 FCS record would be so much stronger than 8-1.

ASU_MBA
November 16th, 2009, 10:56 PM
I assume you meant Liberty. And how I WISH Iona hadn't folded. LU with a 9-1 FCS record would be so much stronger than 8-1.

Sorry I made an edit...

ToTheLeft
November 16th, 2009, 11:00 PM
It's all good.

Last year, when LU didn't make the playoffs, we all realized after a while that the Presby loss kept us out. We all started saying "Stupid Hose" around school and message boards.

This year, "Stupid Iona" and "Stupid Dudzik" will need to be the catch phrases, should we miss out.

ASU_MBA
November 16th, 2009, 11:04 PM
It's all good.

Last year, when LU didn't make the playoffs, we all realized after a while that the Presby loss kept us out. We all started saying "Stupid Hose" around school and message boards.

This year, "Stupid Iona" and "Stupid Dudzik" will need to be the catch phrases, should we miss out.

You do realize Liberty is the only Big South team with a winning record? The SoCon only has 3 which is not much better but still.....

ToTheLeft
November 16th, 2009, 11:06 PM
You do realize Liberty is the only Big South team with a winning record? The SoCon only has 3 which is not much better but still.....

We've been saying "Stupid Big South" for years now. xthumbsupx

ASU_MBA
November 16th, 2009, 11:21 PM
We've been saying "Stupid Big South" for years now. xthumbsupx

Maybe you could kick Western Carolina out and join the SoCon. We would enjoy a little stronger comp.

4th and What?
November 16th, 2009, 11:59 PM

I wasn't so much insinuating that there are a lot of Liberty fans in the human polls as noting that people are voting for Liberty above EWU across all the human polls, while pretty much unanimously stating EWU is getting into the playoffs before Liberty if both teams win. Just a conflict I noticed.

Schfourteenteen
November 17th, 2009, 01:11 AM
Could be the perception that the Big Sky will get 2 bids, and EWU is in the best position to get the 2nd spot.

SuperJon
November 17th, 2009, 05:43 AM

After this weekend, there should be two Big South teams at 6-5 which will give Liberty three wins over teams over .500 (if we win this weekend).

ElonPride
November 17th, 2009, 06:32 AM

xnonono2x

wow.

IaaScribe
November 17th, 2009, 07:24 AM
Massey ratings this week:
Eastern Washington -- No. 9
Liberty -- No. 14
Stephen F. Austin -- No. 19

Wolfe:
Prairie View -- No. 8
Stephen F. Austin -- No. 12
Liberty -- No. 14
Elon -- No. 15
Lafayette -- No. 16
South Dakota State -- No. 19
James Madison -- No. 20
Eastern Washington -- No. 21

Ashburn:
Eastern Washington -- No. 7
Elon -- No. 9
South Dakota State -- No. 10
Liberty -- No. 18
Stephen F. Austin -- No. 20
Lafayette -- No. 27

Laz Index:
South Dakota State -- No. 8
Elon -- No. 9
Eastern Washington -- No. 11
Liberty -- No. 17
Lafayette -- No. 22

Also, people need to quit moving the goalposts in this argument. Earlier this year, most said Liberty didn't have a quality win last year because Elon didn't make the playoffs. Now that's a quality win? I don't care if Lafayette didn't win the Patriot League, that doesn't suddenly invalidate that victory for Liberty. Lafayette is still a top 25 team in nearly all of the computer rankings. Still a good win, on the road, against a team that will at worst win eight games this season. Is it a world-beating great win? No. But it's quality. And anyone calling the JMU loss bad because JMU didn't beat Hofstra is just making an argument to suit their point. JMU whipped Delaware in Newark, nearly knocked off Richmond and took an FBS team to overtime. And JMU is in the top 15 of a loss of computer rankings.

Again, whether Liberty makes it or not is irrelevant to me on a personal level. I'll have a game to cover Nov. 28 regardless, whether it's in the FCS playoffs or up in Charlottesville. But I am fascinated with the process and with how this committee would deal with a potential 9-2 LU team.

(And it should be noted that Stony Brook fans are probably reading this thread going, hey, you know, Liberty still has to beat us -- at our house -- for any of this to matter, you know?)

knucklehead
November 17th, 2009, 12:55 PM
(And it should be noted that Stony Brook fans are probably reading this thread going, hey, you know, Liberty still has to beat us -- at our house -- for any of this to matter, you know?)

Most LU fans and the team are focused on that too. This is a huge game. If we play like we can, we win. But all bets are off on the road (see CSU game 09). I'm psyced for this game to see how the boys step up.

Then we'll see how the selection show goes.

It all has me rather perplexed as things could go so many different ways.