PDA

View Full Version : SCSU Hosting

Appattk
November 16th, 2009, 08:25 AM
Forgive me if this has been discussed before.

We were trying to come up with our playoff brackets and all of the sudden realized that South Carolina has a NCAA sanction on it due to the Flag Issue.

Will this keep SCSU from hosting a game??

T-Dog
November 16th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Wofford hosted in 2007 and Furman has multiple times and not a peep about the "sanction".

It would be crazy if the NAACP and the NCAA made a big deal about an HBCU hosting a playoff game.

WestCoastAggie
November 16th, 2009, 08:31 AM
I thought of the same thing but they will host a game, if they pony up the money. BTW there is a Pioneer Bowl game in Columbia, SC between the CIAA/SIAC (NCAA Div. 2)

biggie
November 16th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Think it mostly specific on "Championship" games being hosted in SC, they probably look the other way for early playoff games. Just no championship or bowls there.

Pitbull
November 16th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Think it mostly specific on "Championship" games being hosted in SC, they probably look the other way for early playoff games. Just no championship or bowls there.

Same here ...I thought it was Championship games....xreadx

DLS
November 16th, 2009, 09:12 AM
what "flag issue"?

biggie
November 16th, 2009, 10:19 AM
what "flag issue"?

SC capital still flys the confederate flag. NCAA/NAACP not big fans.

DLS
November 16th, 2009, 10:21 AM
SC capital still flys the confederate flag.

what does that have to do with football or scsu in general?

biggie
November 16th, 2009, 10:22 AM
what does that have to do with football or scsu in general?
NCAA has regulations against the state of SC from hosting NCAA Championship games for any sport until they remove the flag.

wr70beh
November 16th, 2009, 10:44 AM
USC's womens soccer team hosted a 2nd round NCAA tournament game against Rutgers on Sunday. I think the ban must be only for games where championship trophies are handed out.

WileECoyote06
November 16th, 2009, 11:08 AM
I'm not sure how those rules are interpreted. I believe they only count for NCAA-sanctioned events at neutral facilities.

The State's (Columbia's newspaper) columnists have been criticizing the legislature for years because that flag has been keeping SC from hosting NCAA sub-regional tournaments in Men's Basketball. They certainly have a few nice facilities (Bi-Lo Center, Colonial Life Arena, North Charleston Colosseum). North Carolina is certainly taking advantage of their stubbornness. We've hosted several sub-regionals for the men's and women's tournament.

SCSUBULLDOG1
November 16th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Flag is still up but only on a monument on the state house grounds. But if the NCAA would even think SCSU supports the flag being up there is a big problem.