PDA

View Full Version : Savannah State loses to Weber International(NAIA)

SU Jag
November 15th, 2009, 01:59 PM
The Tigers have lost to another NAIA school this season. First it has the Hornets of Concordia(Selma, Al) and now Weber International. Can it get any worse at SSU?xsmhx

SDSUJacks
November 15th, 2009, 02:03 PM
The only other team I can see being worse than SSU is maybe Valpo. Not good :(

DFW HOYA
November 15th, 2009, 03:16 PM
The problem with Savannah State is funding, plain and simple.

Its 2008 football budget was just over $1 million. That's a Pioneer level budget.

HoyaMetanoia
November 15th, 2009, 03:17 PM
The only other team I can see being worse than SSU is maybe Valpo. Not good :(

You haven't seen Georgetown much this season, I presume.

DFW HOYA
November 15th, 2009, 03:19 PM
You haven't seen Georgetown much this season, I presume.

Georgetown's not the worst altogether this season but I understand the point.

Another stat for Sav State: its entire athletic budget is $2.9 million. Put another way, Bucknell (6th of 7 in PL in spending) spends more on football than Savannah spends on all sports combined.

bonarae
November 15th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Dartmouth is its Ivy League equivalent, obviously but Sav State is even worse than the Big Green... xcoffeex

SDSUJacks
November 15th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Savannah State has been an independent for a while now. Is funding the reason they don't join a conference like the PFL, or MEAC seeing as they are a HBCU?

gophoenix
November 15th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Savannah State has been an independent for a while now. Is funding the reason they don't join a conference like the PFL, or MEAC seeing as they are a HBCU?

They want in the MEAC so bad. I'm afraid their only shot was the balance out WSSU and NCCU, but that's gone now. The want MEAC and only the MEAC.

Really, they might be better to follow Winston-Salem back to D-II. It's ok to admit moving was a mistake, because, basketball had such a long losing streak. I feel bad for the kids trying to play. It's got to be tough.

kalm
November 15th, 2009, 04:26 PM
And they count as one of McNeeses "DI" wins. xnonono2x

SDSUJacks
November 15th, 2009, 04:30 PM
They want in the MEAC so bad. I'm afraid their only shot was the balance out WSSU and NCCU, but that's gone now. The want MEAC and only the MEAC.

Really, they might be better to follow Winston-Salem back to D-II. It's ok to admit moving was a mistake, because, basketball had such a long losing streak. I feel bad for the kids trying to play. It's got to be tough.

It seems moving back to division II would be best for them. It would save their programs some money, but it would lead to some scholarship cuts, unfortunately. Looking at their history, it seems they were much more successful in D-II.

SU Jag
November 15th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Tough spot for ssu, they'll be waiting on that meac ship to come sailing in for the next 20 years. The best thing for them is to go back to the siac(d-2), but right now they would be the worst team in that conference.

darell1976
November 15th, 2009, 05:54 PM
We lost to an NAIA team at home and struggled at home against another NAIA team. Even though they are NAIA they can be tough no matter what some people (LakesBison) thinks.

Eaglesrus
November 15th, 2009, 06:27 PM
It seems moving back to division II would be best for them. It would save their programs some money, but it would lead to some scholarship cuts, unfortunately. Looking at their history, it seems they were much more successful in D-II.

I believe they are only funding something like 36 scholarships now, so I don't think that would be a problem if they move down, which they desperately need to do. It said in the Savannah paper today that Weber went into the game 4 - 6 and with 19 scholarship players.