PDA

View Full Version : the play-off teams

smcwildcat
November 15th, 2009, 01:45 PM
can someone give a list of all the teams who are going to be in the play-offs
possibilities etc. not a bracket just teams who are going to be in

UNHWildCats
November 15th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Orange are at-large eligible, yellow will be eliminated with a loss or qualified with a win next weekend.

Basically its this..

In: Montana, New Hampshire, Richmond, Villanova, William & Mary, South Carolina State, Northern Iowa, Southern Illinois, South Dakota State, Eastern Illinois, Holy Cross, Appalachian State, Elon, McNeese State, Stephen F Austin

In Play For Last Spot: Eastern Washington, Montana State, Weber State, Liberty

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/6615/atlarge111.png
http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/2161/atlarge112.png

4th and What?
November 15th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Orange are at-large eligible, yellow will be eliminated with a loss or qualified with a win next weekend.

Basically its this..

In: Montana, New Hampshire, Richmond, Villanova, William & Mary, South Carolina State, Northern Iowa, Southern Illinois, South Dakota State, Eastern Illinois, Holy Cross, Appalachian State, Elon, McNeese State, Stephen F Austin

I would say UNH, UNI, SD St, Elon, and McNeese would potentially drop to the "In play for last spot" category if they lose. The others are in even with a loss though.

Saluki09
November 15th, 2009, 01:57 PM

Basically its this..

Technically EKU could still get the Autobid for the OVC. They would have to win @Jacksonville and EIU would have to lose at home vs. Tennessee State.

UNHWildCats
November 15th, 2009, 02:00 PM
I would say UNH, UNI, SD St, Elon, and McNeese would potentially drop to the "In play for last spot" category if they lose. The others are in even with a loss though.
no way UNH is even on the bubble at 8-3 with an FBS win and a win vs Villanova and a 3 point loss in a final minutes field goal to W&M.

soccerguy315
November 15th, 2009, 02:01 PM
UNH is definitely in, IMO.

Jackman
November 15th, 2009, 02:03 PM
I think UNI and SDSU can still miss the playoffs with an upset loss next week. Same goes for Eastern Illinois, unless the first tiebreaker in the OVC isn't head-to-head.

joecooll6
November 15th, 2009, 02:36 PM
UNI has to win next week. No doubt.

soccerguy315
November 15th, 2009, 02:50 PM
UNI definitely has to win.

santosballnewhampshire
November 15th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Is there any chance of an at large birth coming from the Patriot League? Or do they just not typically get those?xcoolx

crusader11
November 15th, 2009, 03:28 PM
If Lafayette had beaten Liberty, and goes on to beat Lehigh next week, they would have most definitely gotten an at-large. I really don't see a 9-2 Colgate or Lafayette squad getting an at-large...a lot of things would have to go right next week for the PL to get a second team in. I'd love to see it because Lafayette definitely is a formidable opponent.

WrenFGun
November 15th, 2009, 03:30 PM

Yeah, UNH is in at 8-3 with a win over 'Nova and Ball State. McNeese is also in considering their win over App State. With four losses, SD State has the resume but not the momentum to get in. UNI is absolutely out with 4 losses. Elon is probably still in with 3 losses, even though they don't make it.

4th and What?
November 15th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Yeah, UNH is in at 8-3 with a win over 'Nova and Ball State. McNeese is also in considering their win over App State. With four losses, SD State has the resume but not the momentum to get in. UNI is absolutely out with 4 losses. Elon is probably still in with 3 losses, even though they don't make it.

As I have said in other threads, UNH should still be in with a loss, but they will be involved in the discussion. Losses to both UMass and Maine would give UNH a worse set of losses than any other at large team, Ball St is hardly a quality win (at least they beat E Mich), and if some other games go the wrong way for them (Mont St beating Mont, etc) I could see UNH being first team out. Probably not going to happen, but I don't see them quite in the same scenario as others who are definately in.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 15th, 2009, 04:45 PM
There is no possible way UNH gets left out at 8-3. Forget it.

unigriff
November 15th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Win and In...thats all that matters...it can be as ugly as you want...but Win and In! :)

GO PANTHERS!

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 15th, 2009, 10:21 PM
As I have said in other threads, UNH should still be in with a loss, but they will be involved in the discussion. Losses to both UMass and Maine would give UNH a worse set of losses than any other at large team, Ball St is hardly a quality win (at least they beat E Mich), and if some other games go the wrong way for them (Mont St beating Mont, etc) I could see UNH being first team out. Probably not going to happen, but I don't see them quite in the same scenario as others who are definately in.

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. I saw that game in person and Ball State was as good as above average FCS teams. Just because they are one of the worst FBS teams doesn't mean they are a pushover for FCS teams. IMHO, Ball State would win the Patriot as well as the OVC and quite possibly the MEAC and Southland. They would definitely be an at large candidate playing most FCS teams schedules. For example, I've seen UNI play in person each of the past two seasons and I saw SIU in person last year. I truly feel that Ball State would be 8-3 playing the UNI schedule. I think they'd be 7-3 or 8-2 playing the other ten games on the UNH schedule.

I just don't agree with so many on AGS who denigrate FBS wins over teams that have poor records. I definitely feel that EVERY win over a FBS team is a good win. I'm sorry but 22 more scholarships, home field advantage and home team's league referees is a challenge to overcome. I know that UNH had to play very inspired football that night in Muncie. And it took a performance level that I've only seen them match against Villanova and William & Mary.

Skjellyfetti
November 15th, 2009, 10:28 PM
I definitely feel that EVERY win over a FBS team is a good win. I'm sorry but 22 more scholarships, home field advantage and home team's league referees is a challenge to overcome.

I disagree. A bad football team is a bad football team regardless of scholarships, home field advantage, and the referees.

Football isn't about lining up the best athletes and having them dominate. It's about coordinating a team. Bad football teams are bad because of lack of cohesion playing the game. They will be bad against any good team that plays as a team.

UNH shouldn't get knocked for beating Ball State. But, it's also not a quality win imo.

GeauxLions94
November 15th, 2009, 10:42 PM

Basically its this..

The results of Brawl of the Wild will determine the last spot. If Montana State wins, they're in ... if they lose, Eastern Washington.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 15th, 2009, 10:50 PM
The results of Brawl of the Wild will determine the last spot. If Montana State wins, they're in ... if they lose, Eastern Washington.

Agreed (granted EWU beats NAU, which we should given how we've played the last 3 weeks).

Simplest and most accurate summary out there I think. If both EWU and MSU lose, it will be down to WSU and Liberty (granted WSU beats Cal Poly).

Cocky
November 16th, 2009, 07:04 AM
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. I saw that game in person and Ball State was as good as above average FCS teams. Just because they are one of the worst FBS teams doesn't mean they are a pushover for FCS teams. IMHO, Ball State would win the Patriot as well as the OVC and quite possibly the MEAC and Southland. They would definitely be an at large candidate playing most FCS teams schedules. For example, I've seen UNI play in person each of the past two seasons and I saw SIU in person last year. I truly feel that Ball State would be 8-3 playing the UNI schedule. I think they'd be 7-3 or 8-2 playing the other ten games on the UNH schedule.

I just don't agree with so many on AGS who denigrate FBS wins over teams that have poor records. I definitely feel that EVERY win over a FBS team is a good win. I'm sorry but 22 more scholarships, home field advantage and home team's league referees is a challenge to overcome. I know that UNH had to play very inspired football that night in Muncie. And it took a performance level that I've only seen them match against Villanova and William & Mary.

Ball State would not win the OVC.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 16th, 2009, 08:48 AM
I disagree. A bad football team is a bad football team regardless of scholarships, home field advantage, and the referees.

Football isn't about lining up the best athletes and having them dominate. It's about coordinating a team. Bad football teams are bad because of lack of cohesion playing the game. They will be bad against any good team that plays as a team.

UNH shouldn't get knocked for beating Ball State. But, it's also not a quality win imo.

So, how deep into FCS do you go before you stop calling the teams "good"? Top Ten? Top 15? Top 20? Wouldn't you call a win over a top 20 FCS team "a good win"? Or do you think that the top 50 FCS teams would beat Ball State? I saw them in person and don't believe that.

At some point, the added depth, the home filed advantage and the FBS athletes offset the cohesion, effort and emotion that a FCS team can bring to the table. That's why I say it's a good win because it's as good as beating a top 11-20 type team in FCS.

Looking at Ball State's results, I don't see a team that a high percentage of FCS teams would beat.

Villanova 27 Temple 24 (Temple is 8-2)
Temple 24 Ball State 19 (@Temple)

Ohio 28 Cal Poly 10 (Ohio U is 7-3)
Ohio 20 @Ball State 17

Northern Illinois 41 Western Illinois 7 (NIU is 7-3)
NIU 26 Ball State 20

Western Michigan 24 Hofstra 10 (WMU is 5-6)
WMU plays Ball State on 11/24

Ball State MAC games:
one loss by more than a TD -- Bowling Green by 14
one loss by a TD -- Toledo
one loss by six -- @Northern Illinois
one loss by five -- @Temple
one loss by three -- Ohio
one win by two -- @Eastern Michigan

Sorry, I still disagree with you, a FBS win is a quality win.

WrenFGun
November 16th, 2009, 09:00 AM
So, how deep into FCS do you go before you stop calling the teams "good"? Top Ten? Top 15? Top 20? Wouldn't you call a win over a top 20 FCS team "a good win"? Or do you think that the top 50 FCS teams would beat Ball State? I saw them in person and don't believe that.

At some point, the added depth, the home filed advantage and the FBS athletes offset the cohesion, effort and emotion that a FCS team can bring to the table. That's why I say it's a good win because it's as good as beating a top 11-20 type team in FCS.

Looking at Ball State's results, I don't see a team that a high percentage of FCS teams would beat.

Ohio 20 @Ball State 17

NIU 26 Ball State 20

Ball State MAC games:

xwhistlex Good post.

4th and What?
November 16th, 2009, 09:34 AM

Ohio 20 @Ball State 17

NIU 26 Ball State 20

Ball State MAC games:

I know I am eating my words. Good argument. Ball St is back in my quality win category (not sure it was really out, I was more questioning it......damn I am backpedaling).

The Villanova win more than covers the Umass loss, and the Ball St win would maybe.....sorta.....cover a Maine loss should it actually happen. I always agreed it would take a lot more to make UNH lose their at-large, but I think two potential losses to teams outside the top 25 would give UNH the worst losses for a playoff team. At least food for thought.

PhoenixMan
November 16th, 2009, 09:39 AM

If Elon loses next week they will be out, and should be! A win and it's still a great season with lots of potential for good things to happen. BEAT SAMFORD!