PDA

View Full Version : Montana State/Eastern Washington

STACCATS
November 15th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Montana State is getting little respect from the east coast homers.

Mark it down, if they win this weekend at home versus the Grizzlies, they are in the field. They would be in over EWU, also.

However, EWU is in with a win as the third place BSC team in this scenario. Should be ahead of 8-3 UNI, 8-3 SDSU and 8-3 Elon, if Elon loses.

Look at the GPI people, the BSC is the third rated conference (ahead of the MVFC and Socon)xsmiley_wix

joecooll6
November 15th, 2009, 01:41 PM
While I agree this is a possible scenario, I think UNI's resume is better than EWU's if we both win. And our GPI (8) is better than SDSU (9), EWU (13), and Montana State (23).

SDSUJacks
November 15th, 2009, 01:49 PM
You would have to win vs Montana to have a chance. If not, no cigar. I do agree that if you do beat the Griz, you should be in the discussion. SDSU's resume is good enough to where winning next week locks us a spot, regardless of what else happens.

Tod
November 15th, 2009, 01:52 PM

Mark it down, if they win this weekend at home versus the Grizzlies, they are in the field. They would be in over EWU, also.

However, EWU is in with a win as the third place BSC team in this scenario. Should be ahead of 8-3 UNI, 8-3 SDSU and 8-3 Elon, if Elon loses.

Look at the GPI people, the BSC is the third rated conference (ahead of the MVFC and Socon)xsmiley_wix

Interesting possibilities.

UNHWildCats
November 15th, 2009, 01:53 PM
You would have to win vs Montana to have a chance. If not, no cigar. I do agree that if you do beat the Griz, you should be in the discussion. SDSU's resume is good enough to where winning next week locks us a spot, regardless of what else happens.
If Montana State beats Montana they are in, no discussion. If they lose they dont have 7 Div I wins, so again no discussion they are out. Very simple for MSU.

SDSUJacks
November 15th, 2009, 01:59 PM
If Montana State beats Montana they are in, no discussion. If they lose they dont have 7 Div I wins, so again no discussion they are out. Very simple for MSU.

Do you also think it's possible the BSC could get 3 teams this year? Not arguing about MSU, they would be deserving if they beat Montana, just curious.

Cincy App
November 15th, 2009, 02:00 PM

The Big Sky is likely to get exactly 2 teams in the field. I agree that Montana St is a lock with a win over Montana. On the other hand, EWU needs to win and have MSU lose to secure their fate. A third BSC team would need help with losses from bubble teams to make the field. Don't count on it. By the way, UNI is a lock if they reach 8-3.

UNHWildCats
November 15th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Do you also think it's possible the BSC could get 3 teams this year? Not arguing about MSU, they would be deserving if they beat Montana, just curious.
nope Big Sky will get no more then 2... and its possible all three lose and only Montana gets in.

cats2506
November 15th, 2009, 02:05 PM
The Big Sky is likely to get exactly 2 teams in the field. I agree that Montana St is a lock with a win over Montana. On the other hand, EWU needs to win and have MSU lose to secure their fate. A third BSC team would need help with losses from bubble teams to make the field. Don't count on it. By the way, UNI is a lock if they reach 8-3.

100% agree xthumbsupx

EdubAlum
November 15th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Big games this next weekend. EWU still has to beat a good NAU team down in flagstaff, which is not easy to play at.

kalm
November 15th, 2009, 03:41 PM
MSU is no "lock" over EWU with a win.

Let's compare the resume's:

MSU:
September 5 at Michigan State L 44-3 0-1 (0-0)
September 12 Dixie State W 23-20 1-1 (0-0)
September 26 at Northern Colorado W 25-7 2-1 (1-0)
October 3 at Weber State W 26-21 3-1 (2-0)
October 10 Northern Arizona L 23-10 3-2 (2-1)
October 17 South Dakota W 31-24 4-2 (2-1)
October 24 at Eastern Washington L 35-24 4-3 (2-2)
October 31 Idaho State W 41-10 5-3 (3-2)
November 7 at Portland State W 28-10 6-3 (4-2)
November 14 Sacramento State W 27-17 7-3 (5-2)
November 21 Montana

EWU:

September 5 Western Oregon W 35-14 1-0 (0-0)
September 12 at No. 10 California L 59-7 1-1 (0-0)
September 19 Northern Colorado W 16-0 2-1 (1-0)
September 26 at Sacramento State W 56-30 3-1 (2-0)
October 3 at Idaho State W 38-3 4-1 (3-0)
October 10 Weber State L 31-13 4-2 (3-1)
October 17 at Montana L 41-34 4-3 (3-2)
October 24 Montana State W 35-24 5-3 (4-2)
October 31 Portland State W 47-10 6-3 (5-2)
November 14 at Southern Utah W 41-28 7-3 (5-2)
November 21 at Northern Arizona

Both teams would have virtually identical schedules with an OOC FBS loss to a team from a BCS conference, win against .500 GWAC team, and win against a DII. However, Montana State only won by three against Dixie State and needed overtime to beat SD at home. EWU beat WOU by three touchdowns, and beat SUU on the road by 12 (giving up a late score in garbage time)

Both teams would finish with 4 game winning streaks. MSU would have the more quality win over the Griz but the easier stretch with 3 home games and 3 opponents from the bottom half of the BSC. EWU finishes with 2 out of 4 on the road and against 3 teams in the GPI top 30.

Neither team has a bad loss.

The current GPI's are EWU 13, MSU 23.

So it boils down to whether a win against the Griz at home will impress the committee more than EWU's close loss to Griz on the road and head to head win against the cats in Cheney.

You can call it a toss up if you want but I'm guessing that the head to head is a less subjective barometer than gaging the quality of wins.

I hope we both get in.

cats2506
November 15th, 2009, 04:25 PM

MSU:
November 21 Montana

EWU:

Both teams would have virtually identical schedules with an OOC FBS loss to a team from a BCS conference, win against .500 GWAC team, and win against a DII. However, Montana State only won by three against Dixie State and needed overtime to beat SD at home. EWU beat WOU by three touchdowns, and beat SUU on the road by 12 (giving up a late score in garbage time)

Both teams would finish with 4 game winning streaks. MSU would have the more quality win over the Griz but the easier stretch with 3 home games and 3 opponents from the bottom half of the BSC. EWU finishes with 2 out of 4 on the road and against 3 teams in the GPI top 30.

So it boils down to whether a win against the Griz at home will impress the committee more than EWU's close loss to Griz on the road and head to head win against the cats in Cheney.

You can call it a toss up if you want but I'm guessing that the head to head is a less subjective barometer than gaging the quality of wins.

I hope we both get in.

Cats also have a "quality win" over WSU, WSU has been in the top 25 all season, were #11 when we beat them and are still at #19.

EWU's best win is against MSU

So add in 2 quality wins for MSU vs 0 quality wins for EWU xrulesx

kalm
November 15th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Cats also have a "quality win" over WSU, WSU has been in the top 25 all season, were #11 when we beat them and are still at #19.

EWU's best win is against MSU

So add in 2 quality wins for MSU vs 0 quality wins for EWU xrulesx

Soooooo...

A win against MSU isn't quality yet you still think you're a playoff team?

xwhistlex:D

cats2506
November 15th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Soooooo...

A win against MSU isn't quality yet you still think you're a playoff team?

xwhistlex:D

Hey, its the way it works out, the whole discussion is a moot point anyway since NAU will take care of business nest week xsmiley_wix

kalm
November 15th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Hey, its the way it works out, the whole discussion is a moot point anyway since NAU will take care of business nest week xsmiley_wix

No the way it works out is MSU would have 2 quality wins to EWU's one but still lose the head to head which would be the deciding factor just like it was in 2006 when the committee selected you over a PSU team who also had a FBS win, played 3 teams that went to bowls that year, but...oh yeah, lost the head to head against the cats.

In any event NAU taking care of business is less likely to happen than the Griz the Griz winning. xcoffeex

BTW, we play NAU this week not nest.

xrotatehx

STACCATS
November 15th, 2009, 06:40 PM

MSU:
November 21 Montana

EWU:

I hope we both get in.

I wouldn't down play the merit of a Cat victory over the Griz (no one else has done it this year). And how convenient for you to leave out the fact that Weber would also be in a tie for second in the conference with EWU and MSU, should both schools win this week. Since EWU beat MSU, MSU beat Weber and Weber beat EWU, then only tie breaker would be the Cats victory over UM. You can't break a 3 way tie by looking at head to head between only two teams.

Therefore, if both EWU and MSU win this weekend, MSU is in for sure, and EWU is sweating on selection Sunday. But for the record, EWU deserves a spot over 8-3 UNI (who has no quality wins at all, and has only 1 win versus a team with a winning record). And don't bring up their GPI, it's a product of being over ranked the last 3-4 weeks, and the TSN, coaches poll and AGS over rankings all contribute to UNI's inflated GPI. Not to mention, the BSC's GPI is ahead of the MVFC, and with the strong performances this week in the BSC, I wouldn't be surprised to see the BSC ranked second in conference GPI this week when the new numbers come out (only behind the strong CAA).xreadx

SumItUp
November 15th, 2009, 07:02 PM
I hope NAU and Montana finish both teams off next week and you can spend the next 11 months comparing resumes. xwhistlex

seattlespider
November 15th, 2009, 07:07 PM

I think they could get three in, but a couple of bubble teams would have to lose. Certainly not out of the realm of possibility, however.

kalm
November 15th, 2009, 07:30 PM
I wouldn't down play the merit of a Cat victory over the Griz (no one else has done it this year). And how convenient for you to leave out the fact that Weber would also be in a tie for second in the conference with EWU and MSU, should both schools win this week. Since EWU beat MSU, MSU beat Weber and Weber beat EWU, then only tie breaker would be the Cats victory over UM. You can't break a 3 way tie by looking at head to head between only two teams.

Therefore, if both EWU and MSU win this weekend, MSU is in for sure, and EWU is sweating on selection Sunday. But for the record, EWU deserves a spot over 8-3 UNI (who has no quality wins at all, and has only 1 win versus a team with a winning record). And don't bring up their GPI, it's a product of being over ranked the last 3-4 weeks, and the TSN, coaches poll and AGS over rankings all contribute to UNI's inflated GPI. Not to mention, the BSC's GPI is ahead of the MVFC, and with the strong performances this week in the BSC, I wouldn't be surprised to see the BSC ranked second in conference GPI this week when the new numbers come out (only behind the strong CAA).xreadx

Good points.

uofmman1122
November 15th, 2009, 09:36 PM
I also think 8-3 Montana State deserves to be considered over 8-3 UNI.

UNI is such a mystery to me. They seem good to me, and that they have the talent to go far, yet they've lost to every good team they've played, and only have one win over a team with a winning record. (If YSU beats NDSU, they'll have two)

I think we'll have two BSC teams in the playoffs, but it won't be Montana State.

Kitties are going down this weekend, so this whole discussion is pointless. xcoffeex

Schfourteenteen
November 15th, 2009, 09:41 PM
I hope NAU and Montana finish both teams off next week and you can spend the next 11 months comparing resumes. xwhistlex

There's a good chance we'll be with them.

100%GRIZ
November 15th, 2009, 10:06 PM
But you got to Love all the DRAMA!!! All the Scenerios!!! Only happens in Playoff Football!!! In a way I hope we never move up!!! Down to the wire!!! Griz Win, Huge implecations!!! Cats Win - Eastern loses = playoffs for them!!! Man I Love this time of year!!!

cats2506
November 15th, 2009, 11:17 PM
At least we are discussing who is the 16th team to get into the playoffs and not who the top 2 are to play for the National Championship, like some other division.

catbob
November 16th, 2009, 12:22 AM
Yup. We win on Saturday, and let the cards fall where they may. We can't worry about scenarios like we have already beaten the Griz. EWU has an easier chance at getting to the playoffs right now than we do. Let's focus on the Griz, and see what happens!

That being said, it would be a very hard choice for the committee picking between EWU and MSU if both finish 8-3. EWU will have the advantage with most likely a higher rank and a head to head win against MSU, and MSU would have the big win over the Griz. I honestly couldn't pick either way. Too bad there is a slim, slim chance both 8-3 teams would make the field.

joecooll6
November 16th, 2009, 12:32 AM

Hmm.... I'm looking for EWU's 2nd win over a team with a winning record and I'm not seeing it. I do see a D2 win, and a 42 point FBS loss (compared to UNIs 1 point loss), and a 2nd loss to a team that isn't gonna make the playoffs (which you wont find on UNIs resume).

joecooll6
November 16th, 2009, 12:43 AM
Also, looking at the GPI right now and I notice that every single computer poll has us higher than both EWU and MSU, not just the human polls. So it may be a product of us blowing out every lower tier team we've faced and not struggling (MSU-Dixie State, South Dakota) and not getting blown out in our FBS game (EWU and MSU both). I know we don't have a quality win, but I think UNI at 8-3 has a better resume than EWU at 8-3, but maybe not MSU at 8-3.

Dont forget 8 wins to 7, should we all win next week. I know we had a couple of weak noncons (although MSU didnt think South Dakota was weak) but we didnt schedule a D2 and both Big Sky teams did and that could come back to bite them.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 16th, 2009, 12:57 AM
Also, looking at the GPI right now and I notice that every single computer poll has us higher than both EWU and MSU, not just the human polls. So it may be a product of us blowing out every lower tier team we've faced and not struggling (MSU-Dixie State, South Dakota) and not getting blown out in our FBS game (EWU and MSU both). I know we don't have a quality win, but I think UNI at 8-3 has a better resume than EWU at 8-3, but maybe not MSU at 8-3.

Dont forget 8 wins to 7, should we all win next week. I know we had a couple of weak noncons (although MSU didnt think South Dakota was weak) but we didnt schedule a D2 and both Big Sky teams did and that could come back to bite them.

We don't exactly have St. Francis (PA)'s or Savannah State's to beat up on out here. There's a plethora of non-scholly "D-I" teams out East/Midwest that would get beat by many of the D-IIs out West (like WOU, CWU). xcoffeex

uofmman1122
November 16th, 2009, 01:00 AM
We don't exactly have St. Francis (PA)'s or Savannah State's to beat up on out here. There's a plethora of non-scholly "D-I" teams out East/Midwest that would get beat by many of the D-IIs out West (like WOU, CWU). xcoffeexDon't forget to add in the fact that the mid-major FCS schools out west won't play anyone but Big Sky and GWFC bottom feeders. xcoffeex

09griz
November 16th, 2009, 05:46 AM
Eastern washington has the second (only other) BSC bid. They'll be playing SIU in the first round. Mark it!

Though maybe the reason I say this, as fan of the BSC, is that The Eagles are the only team that is never screwed up by playing at Washington Griz...Any FCS fan would be privileged to see EWU play at WA GRIZ (this year's matchup especially). Though I do love their stadium's nickname when we and all the Griz fans show up in Cheney...*

*eastern washington griz.

EdubAlum
November 16th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Seems like the Bobcat fans here pretty much have assumed they're winning on Saturday.

Canyoncat
November 16th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Seems like the Bobcat fans here pretty much have assumed they're winning on Saturday.

You must have a different reading comprehension than I do. I don’t see any posts where Bobcat fans have guaranteed a win against the griz. All I see are the different scenarios that could play out if we beat the griz.

catbob
November 16th, 2009, 11:18 AM

Well if we want to talk about playoff scenarios, then yes we have to assume we win Saturday. If we don't win, this whole discussion is moot obviously.

Native
November 16th, 2009, 11:56 AM

There are too many competitive teams in the 12-20 spots for Big Sky to get 3 teams into the post season.

...and this year, there is not a spit worth of difference in the real resumes of the FCS teams from 12-20. No matter what happens, 4-6 deserving teams will be left out.

09griz
November 16th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Well if we want to talk about playoff scenarios, then yes we have to assume we win Saturday. If we don't win, this whole discussion is moot obviously.

I'm gonna just go ahead and say yes, this discussion is moot.

wapiti
November 16th, 2009, 04:26 PM

I also think 8-3 Montana State deserves to be considered over 8-3 UNI.

UNI is such a mystery to me. They seem good to me, and that they have the talent to go far, yet they've lost to every good team they've played, and only have one win over a team with a winning record. (If YSU beats NDSU, they'll have two)

I think we'll have two BSC teams in the playoffs, but it won't be Montana State.

Kitties are going down this weekend, so this whole discussion is pointless. xcoffeex

I'm gonna just go ahead and say yes, this discussion is moot.

Seems to me that some Griz fans and a few EWU fans are the ones that have already assumed the Griz will win.

uofmman1122
November 16th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Seems to me that some Griz fans and a few EWU fans are the ones that have already assumed the Griz will win.I don't assume we'll win, just as I don't assume we'll win any game.

All seriousness aside, you guys don't stand a snowball's chance in hell this weekend. xlolx :p

wapiti
November 16th, 2009, 05:08 PM
I don't assume we'll win, just as I don't assume we'll win any game.

All seriousness aside, you guys don't stand a snowball's chance in hell this weekend. xlolx :p

Just keep the snowballs off of the field and the hot cocoa in the tummy.

Silenoz
November 16th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Seems to me that some Griz fans and a few EWU fans are the ones that have already assumed the Griz will win.
Think we'll probably win =/= assume we'll win

I mean, looking at the lines in my sig, I'm just playing the probabilities here

twentythreeOh4
November 16th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Call me crazy, but when it comes down to choosing between two teams with very similar playoff credentials, I tend to think head-to-head is the most important factor. Funny thing is, a few years ago when the committee had to choose between MSU and PSU, almost all Bobcat fans thought head-to-head was the ONLY important factor and now many of them are singing a different tune....

joecooll6
November 16th, 2009, 09:36 PM
We don't exactly have St. Francis (PA)'s or Savannah State's to beat up on out here. There's a plethora of non-scholly "D-I" teams out East/Midwest that would get beat by many of the D-IIs out West (like WOU, CWU). xcoffeex

I dont know where Savannah State came from, we didnt play them. We played St. Francis and South Dakota (who also played MSU) and Iowa for our noncons. Regardless they're DI and it doesnt matter how they compare to the D2 teams out west, they're still D2 teams, so they dont count as a win. Thats my point.

09griz
November 18th, 2009, 03:35 AM
Eastern Wa will get in. I hope to see a better game between us in the playoffs.

bpcats
November 18th, 2009, 06:01 AM
for the sake of argument if both EWU and MSU wins and it came down who gets in for an at large bid. MSU would have wins over the #11 team (at the time) and the number 2-4 team in the nation. EWU has the head to head win, but as O'Day mentioned who serves on the board MSU was down several players during that game and that might figure into the argument.

Got to win this weekend though for it to even be an argument.

wapiti
November 19th, 2009, 03:09 PM
If MSU, EWU and BBQ all win this weekend, then the Big Sky sends three teams to the playoffs and maybe four. If they do win, and three are sent, which one is left out?
I would guess BBQ.

CopperCat
November 19th, 2009, 03:25 PM

And likewise, the griz all assume they are going to blow us out on Saturday. Don't really know what you are trying to imply here.

elkmcc
November 19th, 2009, 03:30 PM
for the sake of argument if both EWU and MSU wins and it came down who gets in for an at large bid. MSU would have wins over the #11 team (at the time) and the number 2-4 team in the nation. EWU has the head to head win, but as O'Day mentioned who serves on the board MSU was down several players during that game and that might figure into the argument.

Got to win this weekend though for it to even be an argument.

7 and 4 baby. Great year for the kitties.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 19th, 2009, 04:35 PM
If MSU, EWU and BBQ all win this weekend, then the Big Sky sends three teams to the playoffs and maybe four. If they do win, and three are sent, which one is left out?
I would guess BBQ.

There's not a snowball's chance in hell that the BSC will get 4 teams in. MAYBE a 5% chance we'll get 3 teams in, assuming a lot of other bubble teams lose to their pretty average to poor competition this week. In all likelihood, the BSC will get 2 in. UM and EWU if we win this weekend, UM and MSU if the Cats win and we lose, UM and WSU if both EWU and MSU lose.

wapiti
November 20th, 2009, 09:14 AM
There's not a snowball's chance in hell that the BSC will get 4 teams in. MAYBE a 5% chance we'll get 3 teams in, assuming a lot of other bubble teams lose to their pretty average to poor competition this week. In all likelihood, the BSC will get 2 in. UM and EWU if we win this weekend, UM and MSU if the Cats win and we lose, UM and WSU if both EWU and MSU lose.

If, and only if MSU, EWU, and BBQ win, there is an argument for four teams to be in the playoffs. I agree that there is not a chance four will get in. (BBQ scheduled themselves out of the playoffs.)
But if all three of these teams win, then I would think there is greater then 50% chance that EWU, MSU and UM get in. If MSU, EWU or BBQ lose, then only two get in.