PDA

View Full Version : Brawl of the Wild Thread

Pages : [1] 2

GolfingGriz
November 15th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Its Sunday and I don't see a thread yet so I'll start it.

As long as the Griz take care of the ball, I don't think MSU has enough offense to win. Should be plenty of touches for Reynolds, hopefully most of them in the fourth quarter.

Griz 31
Cats 21

cats2506
November 15th, 2009, 02:10 PM
when UM has the ball
#1 offense vs #1 Defense

when MSU has the ball
#5 offense vs #6 defense

should be a good game

GolfingGriz
November 15th, 2009, 02:12 PM
when UM has the ball
#1 offense vs #1 Defense

when MSU has the ball
#5 offense vs #6 defense

should be a good game

Where are you getting these stats???

Is this conference only?

cats2506
November 15th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Where are you getting these stats???

Is this conference only?

Yes Conf only stats
http://www.bigskyconf.com/sports/football/2009/stats/confonly.htm

against 7 common opponents, should be about the best indicator.

Above was total offense

Scoring offense makes
UM has ball #1 vs #1
MSU has Ball #6 vs #4

If you look at all of the stats it looks like a very interesting game. It seems that out strenghts match up with each other do our weaknesses.

Intangables will likly determine the game if you look at the stats. UM is far better in TO margin so I hope that isnt a factor.

Personnally I think the key to the game for MSU is stopping #80 on KO & Punt returnes.

CrunchGriz
November 15th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Yes Conf only stats
http://www.bigskyconf.com/sports/football/2009/stats/confonly.htm

against 7 common opponents, should be about the best indicator.

Above was total offense

Scoring offense makes
UM has ball #1 vs #1
MSU has Ball #6 vs #4

If you look at all of the stats it looks like a very interesting game. It seems that out strenghts match up with each other do our weaknesses.

Intangables will likly determine the game if you look at the stats. UM is far better in TO margin so I hope that isnt a factor.

Personnally I think the key to the game for MSU is stopping #80 on KO & Punt returnes.

You'd better kick it out of bounds on every punt, then, or kick it sky high and short. Either way it will translate into better field position for the Griz.

It'll be interesting to see what the weather holds for Saturday, too.

fltheadgriz
November 15th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Didn't Bozeman get enough snow before the Sac St. game that they had to plow off the field?

cats2506
November 15th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Didn't Bozeman get enough snow before the Sac St. game that they had to plow off the field?

Conditions were good, field was plowed the day before and had zero snow on it, It was a nice day in the mid to upper 30's

They were shoveling the stands out Sat morning though,

Not that this has anything to do with Cat/griz

CrunchGriz
November 15th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Oh, and one other item about Montana's return game, answering the previous post:

You don't have to worry about Mariani on kickoff returns--but only because he isn't returning kickoffs this year.

You do have to worry about Peter Nguyen and Jabin Sambrano, though, both of whom are due to break one (both have been a shoe-string tackle away from taking it all the way this year at one time or another).

cats2506
November 15th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Oh, and one other item about Montana's return game, answering the previous post:

You don't have to worry about Mariani on kickoff returns--but only because he isn't returning kickoffs this year.

You do have to worry about Peter Nguyen and Jabin Sambrano, though, both of whom are due to break one (both have been a shoe-string tackle away from taking it all the way this year at one time or another).

Well thats good news, Nguyen and Sambrano are pretty average IMO

bpcats
November 15th, 2009, 06:35 PM
The inability to consistently score TD's in the red zone, and our constant fumbles will cost us the game again against the Griz.

Mariani will also make a special teams play that will put the game out of reach.

Griz 42
Cats 20

Tod
November 15th, 2009, 06:39 PM

Average Griz = Star player in the rest of the Sky. :D:D

GolfingGriz
November 15th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Does anyone else feel that Rob Ash just doesn't get the rivalry. Its widely known how much Hauck hates the cats and it translates to his players. Kramer got the rivalry and he won the game a few times and at the very least kept his teams in the game. I get the feeling through listening to Ash talk about the game that he doesn't understand the intensity of it. For those who disagree, how have the Griz been able to outscore the cats 76-23 the last two years? Adding to it, the Grizzlies didn't play very well in the first half of either game the last two years.

Bronco
November 15th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Ash gets it. He's heard nothing but this since he arrived. Every booster tells him that its important.

Watching the replays of their games they've had a Griz/cat update on every telecast. Their fans yell that obnoxious anti Griz cheer no matter who they play...he gets it.

GolfingGriz
November 15th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Ash gets it. He's heard nothing but this since he arrived. Every booster tells him that its important.

Watching the replays of their games they've had a Griz/cat update on every telecast. Their fans yell that obnoxious anti Griz cheer no matter who they play...he gets it.

Then why haven't his teams been more competitve? They were not ready to play last year in Missoula

GrizFanStuckInUtah
November 15th, 2009, 08:56 PM
If they can't get up for this one, they have trouble. Most people put them into the playoffs with a win and it is The Brawl! If that isn't enough to motivate you, I dunno what is. xpeacex

If the Griz can get back to playing a whole game, I think they have just enough to beat the Cats in Bozeman. Special teams and the intangibles will make the difference IMHO and give the Griz just enough to edge them out by a score.

Bronco
November 15th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Then why haven't his teams been more competitve? They were not ready to play last year in Missoula

The question was "does he get it."

If the question is .....is he a good coach?...We'll see in a year or two

GolfingGriz
November 15th, 2009, 09:35 PM
The question was "does he get it."

If the question is .....is he a good coach?...We'll see in a year or two

Let me clarify. I think the past two Brawls the cats have had good teams who failed to show up in the biggest game of the year. If they play well saturday then my notion will be put to rest. Early on I would compare Ash to John Cooper at Ohio State. Good coach, but didn't get the rivalry with Michigan and his record showed it.

Green26
November 15th, 2009, 10:32 PM

Yes, Sambrano and Nguyen are "very average". Sambrano leads the conference in kickoff returns (25.7), and Nguyen is 4th (24.3). The closest Cat averages (21.1). UM averages 22.8 per return, to the Cats' 18.7.

putter
November 15th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Sambrano has wheels just like Mariani and Nguyen is as slippery as they come...better watch out.

cats2506
November 15th, 2009, 11:04 PM
Yes, Sambrano and Nguyen are "very average". Sambrano leads the conference in kickoff returns (25.7), and Nguyen is 4th (24.3). The closest Cat averages (21.1). UM averages 22.8 per return, to the Cats' 18.7.

KICK RETURN AVG Cl G No. Yards TD Long Avg.
1. Bo Bolen-WSU FR 8 21 551 0 67 26.2
2. Aaron Woods-PSU SR 8 38 996 1 97 26.2
3. Jabin Sambrano-UM SO 7 13 336 0 50 25.8
4. Peter Nguyen-UM FR 7 11 267 0 61 24.3

xrulesx

I wouldnt compare them to MSU returns, hell we are happy with a fair catch :(

cats2506
November 15th, 2009, 11:12 PM
Let me clarify. I think the past two Brawls the cats have had good teams who failed to show up in the biggest game of the year. If they play well saturday then my notion will be put to rest. Early on I would compare Ash to John Cooper at Ohio State. Good coach, but didn't get the rivalry with Michigan and his record showed it.

07 really wasnt an Ash team, he cam in late and did what he could with what was there. We held on for a winning season but that was about all you could ask.

08 was a horrible injury year and by the end few if any cat fans expected a good showing by the end of the year.

while we have had some injuries this year too we have finally been able to build some depth to deal with it. This is the first time since 06 that I really feel we can win this game, I think you should expect a pretty good game this year, Ash finally has 2 years of recruits in the program and it is starting to show. He has been building with HS recruits so we are still very young but I think you will be surprised this year with the depth and quality of play. Not saying its gonna be easy and we still have shortages at some positions but this is not the same team you have seen the last couple of years.

Green26
November 15th, 2009, 11:17 PM
The official conference stats and ncaa stats use all games. Here they are (from the Big Sky conference website). Sambrano leads the conference.

1. Jabin Sambrano-UM SO 10 17 437 0 50 25.7
2. Bo Bolen-WSU FR 10 30 767 0 67 25.6
3. Aaron Woods-PSU SR 11 53 1314 1 97 24.8
4. Peter Nguyen-UM FR 9 11 267 0 61 24.3

cats2506
November 15th, 2009, 11:21 PM
The official conference stats and ncaa stats use all games. Here they are (from the Big Sky conference website). Sambrano leads the conference.

1. Jabin Sambrano-UM SO 10 17 437 0 50 25.7
2. Bo Bolen-WSU FR 10 30 767 0 67 25.6
3. Aaron Woods-PSU SR 11 53 1314 1 97 24.8
4. Peter Nguyen-UM FR 9 11 267 0 61 24.3

Conf indicates conf only stats as that is what the BSC use since some teams play up and some dont, and some teams play down and some dont.

Dont give me that crap of continually padding your stats because you dont have to play up. the conf stats are against common opponents and that is what the BSC reconizes

gbhmt
November 16th, 2009, 12:17 AM
07 really wasnt an Ash team, he cam in late and did what he could with what was there. We held on for a winning season but that was about all you could ask.

08 was a horrible injury year and by the end few if any cat fans expected a good showing by the end of the year.

while we have had some injuries this year too we have finally been able to build some depth to deal with it. This is the first time since 06 that I really feel we can win this game, I think you should expect a pretty good game this year, Ash finally has 2 years of recruits in the program and it is starting to show. He has been building with HS recruits so we are still very young but I think you will be surprised this year with the depth and quality of play. Not saying its gonna be easy and we still have shortages at some positions but this is not the same team you have seen the last couple of years.

Really? A quick skim of this thread from last year shows that you Cat fans were convinced it was gonna be a win. xlolx

Silenoz
November 16th, 2009, 12:38 AM
Really? A quick skim of this thread from last year shows that you Cat fans were convinced it was gonna be a win. xlolx
My thoughts exactly xlolx

Silenoz
November 16th, 2009, 10:48 AM
This almost fell to the third page. Is there really that much apathy?

catatac
November 16th, 2009, 10:48 AM

If you lose your two top QB's and your two top receivers sometime in the next 5 days... I can promise you that even your team will look like they "didn't come to play" at times on Saturday.

Hellgate60
November 16th, 2009, 10:56 AM
If you lose your two top QB's and your two top receivers sometime in the next 5 days... I can promise you that even your team will look like they "didn't come to play" at times on Saturday.

We would still have Reynolds!:D

wapiti
November 16th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Brawl Weather:
Friday, the day before the game: high of 40, low of 24, 40% chance of snow

Saturday: High of 36, low of 13, 30% chance of snow.

Looks to be good football weather.
I hope the Griz team that played ISU shows up.

putter
November 16th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Brawl Weather:
Friday, the day before the game: high of 40, low of 24, 40% chance of snow

Saturday: High of 36, low of 13, 30% chance of snow.

Looks to be good football weather.
I hope the Griz team that played ISU shows up.

I am still waiting for the team that played Weber to show up for all 4 quarters! hasn't happened all year.

Green26
November 16th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Conf indicates conf only stats as that is what the BSC use since some teams play up and some dont, and some teams play down and some dont.

Dont give me that crap of continually padding your stats because you dont have to play up. the conf stats are against common opponents and that is what the BSC reconizes

Nope, the conference uses stats for all games. The stats for all games are listed first on the Big Sky webiste, and the conference only stats are listed second. When people refer to the rushing leader, they base that on all games, not just conference games. Stats for all games are what are listed on team website's, and what are used by both the ncaa and teams for keeping track of all-time stat leaders.

The kickoff stats for the two Montana returners are the same for in the all-game and conference stats. There is no "padding".

So, go do some research on these points, eat your words, and come back and apologize.

catbob
November 16th, 2009, 11:15 AM
If the Cats fumble the ball 6 times again Saturday, it won't even be a game. We need Palmer back healthy, he holds on the ball better than anyone else.

The sad truth is that the Cats play worse at home than on the road. I don't know if it is nerves in front of the home crowd, or the temperature, or what.

Right now I like Montana, but if we can play turnover-free and force one or two, we have a shot. If we can get the ground game going early on, that will go miles for us as well.

Hellgate60
November 16th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Nope, the conference uses stats for all games. The stats for all games are listed first on the Big Sky webiste, and the conference only stats are listed second. When people refer to the rushing leader, they base that on all games, not just conference games. Stats for all games are what are listed on team website's, and what are used by both the ncaa and teams for keeping track of all-time stat leaders.

The kickoff stats for the two Montana returners are the same for in the all-game and conference stats. There is no "padding".

So, go do some research on these points, eat your words, and come back and apologize.

for cats2506:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwryToEZrBI

Uncle Rico's Clan
November 16th, 2009, 12:01 PM

I feel the same way, whats the deal this year? Is it less exciting since we already wrapped up the conference or what?

saccat
November 16th, 2009, 12:21 PM
My thoughts exactly xlolx

I expect the CATS to win EVERY GAME.

CATS-21

friz-17

putter
November 16th, 2009, 12:24 PM
I think the Cats give the Griz a heavy dose of Gilbert. For a freshman that kid can play and has the skills to change a game. With the way the Griz have been playing in the secondary I think he will have a big game receiving.

saccat
November 16th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Here are some pictures of the field getting cleaned up before last weeks game.

GolfingGriz
November 16th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Nothing close to that in Missoula yet

HLNgriz
November 16th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Great pictures scat!

CatFan22
November 16th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Should be an interesting game. Both teams have the potential to dominate. Saturday needs to get here now!

catatac
November 16th, 2009, 02:25 PM
No doubt! We will see some serious strength on strength... with one of the best rushing O lines in FCS going up against one of the best D lines in FCS. I thing the Bobcats have given up ONLY ONE RUSHING TD ALL YEAR!!! That has to be some sort of record. Then the griz with Reynolds... I think he pretty much gets at least one rushing TD in every game. This should be fun to watch! Another cool matchup is our Punter Eric Fisher, who I think is the best punter in FCS, kicking to Mariani who is probably one of if not the best returner in FCS.

CatFan22
November 16th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Who's all going?
We're making chili Friday night and then breakfast burritos Saturday morning. Coupled with beer and a lot more alcohol (peppermint schnapp's and hot chocolate is great in the cold)! We're busting out the fire pit too. Feel free to stop by! xcoolx

Live4Griz
November 16th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Who's all going?
We're making chili Friday night and then breakfast potatoes Saturday morning. Coupled with beer and a lot more alcohol (peppermint schnapp's and hot chocolate is great in the cold)! We're busting out the fire pit too. Feel free to stop by! xcoolx

I will drive over Saturday morning...with three others!

GO GRIZ!!

Bronco
November 16th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Watched the taped cat game last week and noticed the stands still had lots of snow. I'm sure it's packed down by now. Bigger crowd this weekend...will they be ready?

CatFan22
November 16th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Watched the taped cat game last week and noticed the stands still had lots of snow. I'm sure it's packed down by now. Bigger crowd this weekend...will they be ready?

They should be ready. I don't think there is as huge of a snow storm for this week so I think we will be fine.

uofmman1122
November 16th, 2009, 03:19 PM
I have to work during the game. :(

GrizFanStuckInUtah
November 16th, 2009, 03:23 PM

Work is a four letter word. xnodx

saccat
November 16th, 2009, 04:53 PM

If you were a true fan, you would quit.

uofmman1122
November 16th, 2009, 04:58 PM
If you were a true fan, you would quit.Hey, I'm probably one the only people in the world last year that had to stay up all night to catch the game starting at 3:00 am Tokyo time and listen on a horrible feed that kept cutting out.

I doubt many diehard Griz fans would have done the same. xlolx

(Granted, had I possessed the money, I would have flown back to Missoula to catch the game....but I didn't. xlolx)

GolfingGriz
November 16th, 2009, 06:20 PM
This thread is embarassing the best rivalry in the FCS. Lets get things going a little...

My personal favorite is:
Griz worst record since 1993 is 8-4
Cats best record since 1993 is 8-5

xthumbsupx:Dxthumbsupx

uofmman1122
November 16th, 2009, 06:28 PM
This thread is embarassing the best rivalry in the FCS. Lets get things going a little...

My personal favorite is:
Griz worst record since 1993 is 8-4
Cats best record since 1993 is 8-5

xthumbsupx:DxthumbsupxDude, it's only monday. Give it time.

Cats are still wondering how they're going to stop Reynolds, without getting torched by Mariani. xthumbsupx

GolfingGriz
November 16th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Dude, it's only monday. Give it time.

Cats are still wondering how they're going to stop Reynolds, without getting torched by Mariani. xthumbsupx

I know, I know. Its just everyone in Montana waits 51 weeks for this week so lets act like it!

Question: Do any current Bobcats know what the endzone is like in the Brawl???

catbob
November 16th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Our DLine is playing solid right now. Ogden is just a beast, & you really have to pick your poison with the Cats DLine. Double Fletcher & let Ogden & D'Alba run free inside? Try and stuff the middle and leave Fletch 1v1 with a guard?

Price is back, looked a little rusty last week but should be full speed for this game.

My concern, still and has always been the secondary. Sometimes we look like we have made strides, but we still give up a lot of yards through the air. Once or twice against Sac we were burned, but their Q wasn't able to put it on the money. We won't get that lucky against the Griz.

Cats O has been coming along, and if we can give Kempt some protection and get the ball in the hands of Gilbert and Lloyd, we could have a big day.

nevadagriz
November 16th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Sunday morning I get to church and our intern paster is waiting for me to give me bobcat pencils. Standing in the middle of church I had nothing to say ( anything church appropriate) that is. I just told her I really wanted the cats to make the playoffs and go visit a CAA team, except in order to do that it would mean a Griz loss so I was torn. My wife was standing next to me and said "wow you have never spoke this way about the cats that is nice" lmaoxlolx

GrizFamily
November 16th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Dude, it's only monday. Give it time.

I guess the Cats agree that this really isn't a rivalry anymore.

3 wins in the last 23 years will do that to a fan base....

twentythreeOh4
November 17th, 2009, 12:27 AM

That's funny, I seem to recall that Ash took over a team that won in the playoffs the year before and most Cat fans thought they had the talent to go even further in '07 -- at least that was the conventional wisdom on BN.

Last year at the end of the season there was a lot of talk of how much the bobcats deserved to be in the playoffs if they beat UM. Talking about playoffs doesn't exactly sound like low expectations to me?

bpcats
November 17th, 2009, 01:34 AM
Cat Griz games have gone one of two ways in recent past. If the Cats don't turn the ball over then the games are usually very close with scores like 13-7, 20-10 etc. The Cats get into trouble when the turnovers start to mount up.

The game in 2007 was very close until the 2nd play of the 3rd quarter when Rolovich threw a pick and the Griz turned it into points. Last year we turned the ball over 5-6 times and were down to our 3rd string quarterback.

The Griz do a great job of capitalizing on our mistakes and in the special teams area.

As far as coaching goes, Ash and company have done a great job this year of coaching up the players. Take out both your starting defensive ends, your top 3 corners, and both outside linebackers and see if you can finish first in the conference in total defense..we did.

The good news is that is we will only lose Dane Fletcher from the defense, but gain back Brad Smith. Everybody else is coming back on defense.

I just don't know which Bobcat team will show up. If it is the one that turns the ball over, then we will lose, otherwise it should be a close contest.

bigskyrocks
November 17th, 2009, 02:45 AM
ok so i got bored and decided what the griz/cat fans thought the score would be. so i went to each schools respective forum site. egriz for the griz and bobcatnation for the cats. i went through and averaged the scores from each site (up to 1:41 am on nov 17) and these are my results.

egriz
griz - 31.8 cats 16.6
(only 1 person picked the cats to win)

bnation
griz 21.1 cats 26.7
(5 picked the griz to win)

as expected each side picked their own team to win, but the griz seemed more eager to pick the blow out. but the biggest blowout goes to bobcat nation of 51-13 (number may be wrong) for the cats winning

Screamin_Eagle174
November 17th, 2009, 02:58 AM
ok so i got bored and decided what the griz/cat fans thought the score would be. so i went to each schools respective forum site. egriz for the griz and bobcatnation for the cats. i went through and averaged the scores from each site (up to 1:41 am on nov 17) and these are my results.

egriz
griz - 31.8 cats 16.6
(only 1 person picked the cats to win)

bnation
griz 21.1 cats 26.7
(5 picked the griz to win)

as expected each side picked their own team to win, but the griz seemed more eager to pick the blow out. but the biggest blowout goes to bobcat nation of 51-13 (number may be wrong) for the cats winning

Thanks for doing that... it'll be cool to come back and compare the final score with the predictions averaged.

09griz
November 17th, 2009, 05:39 AM
The cats aren't the best team we have come to face this year. They are, however, our biggest rival. This is gonna be a well fought game. If the cats win, good on them and their defense got them into the playoffs. If the griz win it will be a three possession game.

09griz
November 17th, 2009, 05:45 AM
I'd like to know how the cats intend to respond to a Selle offense and then respond when the Roper offense comes on the field. Two QB coaching never seems to work in any level, but somehow the griz have made it operate on many occasions this year. Remember that Roper is in no way a slouch by comparison to Selle, and when they switch out QB's we tend to roll over a defense.

Silenoz
November 17th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Bump from the third page again xconfusedx

bigskyrocks
November 17th, 2009, 11:22 AM
updated scores

bnation

griz-22.3 cats- 27.3

egriz

griz- 31 cats-16.2

Silenoz
November 17th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Obviously a lot of picks from the heart, and not the brain.

Call me a homer, but if you had to pick the winner of this game for $1,000,000 (make up whatever scenario works for you), would you pick the Griz or the Cats? I'd assume you'd see a dramatic shift towards picking the Griz

Grizzaholic
November 17th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Where is 89Hen to throw this game under the rug and talk about how the Delaware game this weekend is more important?

bigappfan10
November 17th, 2009, 11:46 AM
My question is...should I keep an eye on this game Saturday or is it completely unrealistic to think Montana State has a chance?

CrazyCat
November 17th, 2009, 11:47 AM
I'd like to know how the cats intend to respond to a Selle offense and then respond when the Roper offense comes on the field. Two QB coaching never seems to work in any level, but somehow the griz have made it operate on many occasions this year. Remember that Roper is in no way a slouch by comparison to Selle, and when they switch out QB's we tend to roll over a defense.

From the games I've watched the offense doesn't change much with one QB or the other?

Bronco
November 17th, 2009, 11:52 AM
I like that our three stars on offense...the QB, Running back and wide receiver are all Montana boys.
They grew up watching the Brawl and they'll be ready.

Silenoz
November 17th, 2009, 11:56 AM
My question is...should I keep an eye on this game Saturday or is it completely unrealistic to think Montana State has a chance?

They definitely have a chance. Both teams can be very hard to read, though MSU can be absolutely terrible at home for some reason

CrazyCat
November 17th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Before this gets too intense :D

I just want to say thanks to all the Cat and Griz fans who donate food and blood in the Brawl of the Wild donation drives. xthumbsupx

catbob
November 17th, 2009, 01:24 PM
I like that our three stars on offense...the QB, Running back and wide receiver are all Montana boys.
They grew up watching the Brawl and they'll be ready.

Didn't realize star QBs had to share time with their backup all season. xconfusedx

appmountaineer
November 17th, 2009, 01:40 PM
I'm excited to see how this one turns out. The griz are playing for a top seed, and maybe a seed in general, and Montana State is playing for the playoffs. Should be a good game, I have a feeling Montana state finds a way to win this one.

catatac
November 17th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Coach Ash has commented a few times about how impressed he is with the chemistry of this team. He said the guys all believe in each other right now, they know what needs to be done, and they are determined to get it done... even through all the adversity. Just wanted to interject that... as you were. xnodx

Bronco
November 17th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Didn't realize star QBs had to share time with their backup all season. xconfusedx

And your three stars are from where?

QB...Running back...and Receiver

saccat
November 17th, 2009, 02:17 PM
And your three stars are from where?

QB...Running back...and Receiver

Typical friz fan. First it was "We have more Montana kids"--now you don't

Then it was "But we have more starters from Montana"--now you don't

NOW it's " But our key players are from Montana"

Good luck this weekend, hope you don't make it down.

PS...Our QB is from Bozeman, and Our WR is from Billings.

GolfingGriz
November 17th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Typical friz fan. First it was "We have more Montana kids"--now you don't

Then it was "But we have more starters from Montana"--now you don't

NOW it's " But our key players are from Montana"

Good luck this weekend, hope you don't make it down.

PS...Our QB is from Bozeman, and Our WR is from Billings.

He asked about your stars, not just who starts. Let me help...Your star quarterback is from 2005, your star running back is from 2008, and your star receiver is from 2002. None of which were from the state of Montana.

saccat
November 17th, 2009, 02:32 PM
He asked about your stars, not just who starts. Let me help...Your star quarterback is from 2005, your star running back is from 2008, and your star receiver is from 2002. None of which were from the state of Montana.

OOHH so I can go back as far as I want to find our STARS, I thought this thread was about this years team. So who exactly is your STAR QB.

CrazyCat
November 17th, 2009, 02:40 PM
How about Fletcher,Hansen, and Fisher.

saccat
November 17th, 2009, 02:42 PM
How about Fletcher,Hansen, and Fisher.

I don't think they count, because they don't play for the friz, and they are from this years team.

Shellin
November 17th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure what they're talking about. What makes this rivalry great is that the vast majority of the players on both teams come from Montana, and have grown up around it.

GolfingGriz
November 17th, 2009, 02:48 PM
OOHH so I can go back as far as I want to find our STARS, I thought this thread was about this years team. So who exactly is your STAR QB.

I just wouldn't consider Kempt/Iddens, Mason, or any of your receivers "STARS". Montana on the other hand has the country's #5 running back(yards per game), #9 quarterback(passing efficiency), and #9 receiver(yards per game).

Those are pretty obvious STARS in my book. Sorry I had to go back a few years to find your STARS at those positions.

09griz
November 17th, 2009, 02:51 PM
The cats stars are clearly their defense. However, to address catbob's remark on sharing time with roper, I think it's important to realize that both of those QB's can and will obliderate your star defense come Saturday.

CrazyCat
November 17th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure what they're talking about. What makes this rivalry great is that the vast majority of the players on both teams come from Montana, and have grown up around it.

I agree. The base of both teams are made up of Montana kids that walk-on and work their butts off. I don't think any Griz fan can say they looked at Chase buried on the depth chart at several positions and could foresee what a stud he would become.

GRIZCLAW
November 17th, 2009, 04:53 PM
You know, this rivalry thing really isn't fair. The Bobcats go into every season knowing the only game that matters to them is Griz-Cat. The reason for that is because they generally know after their first or second DII loss that their season is in the toilet. So, they can spend the entire year planning and getting all pumped up for this one big game because IF they win, it doesn't make any difference how crappy their year was, they'll have been one good team (Da Griz). On the other hand, the Griz pay attention to each and every game and don't have time worrying about Griz-Cat until the game actually happen. Consequently, we are at a severe disadvantage in the party planning aspects of the game. They will have balloons, signs, noise makers and all the trappings of that one big game. On the other hand, we'll just have more fans in the stands than they will. Oh well, such is life.. You certainly have GRIZ NATION worried with your pom poms and speaker generated growl, or whatever that is. The barn will be rocking

Bronco
November 17th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Will the cat grad Governor be sporting his Griz gear at the game?

http://www.egriz.com/grizpics/albums/userpics/10238/Griz-governor.jpg

mtbigdog
November 17th, 2009, 08:33 PM
I'm not much of a stats guy,but I love to watch this game every year.I've been a griz fan for 40yrs. Here's an observation,look at the last,say 3 games of each team{How each has performed}. I'm thinking that maybe the griz should be a little nervous.Am I wrong?

mtgrizfan4life
November 17th, 2009, 09:09 PM
FYI the game is being broadcast on an alternate Altitude channel. Directv channel 652. Not sure of channel number for other cable companies or Dish.

100%GRIZ
November 17th, 2009, 10:26 PM
FYI the game is being broadcast on an alternate Altitude channel. Directv channel 652. Not sure of channel number for other cable companies or Dish.

Dish Altitude channel is 410

Bobcat in NC
November 18th, 2009, 01:58 PM
You know, this rivalry thing really isn't fair. The Bobcats go into every season knowing the only game that matters to them is Griz-Cat. The reason for that is because they generally know after their first or second DII loss that their season is in the toilet. So, they can spend the entire year planning and getting all pumped up for this one big game because IF they win, it doesn't make any difference how crappy their year was, they'll have been one good team (Da Griz). On the other hand, the Griz pay attention to each and every game and don't have time worrying about Griz-Cat until the game actually happen. Consequently, we are at a severe disadvantage in the party planning aspects of the game. They will have balloons, signs, noise makers and all the trappings of that one big game. On the other hand, we'll just have more fans in the stands than they will. Oh well, such is life.. You certainly have GRIZ NATION worried with your pom poms and speaker generated growl, or whatever that is. The barn will be rocking

Absolute genius post. Really...well done. xlolx

Bronco
November 18th, 2009, 03:44 PM
He's right about the Mountain Lion sound played over the PA.

Years ago they use to have a Griz Growl over the PA but it sounded like a long Burp so they quit doing it.

Here is an actual sound of a Bobcat if you're interested.

http://www.sounddogs.com/sound-effects/2106/mp3/274573_SOUNDDOGS__bo.mp3

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/Tiz/smilies/1562.gif

GrizFanStuckInUtah
November 18th, 2009, 04:33 PM
He's right about the Mountain Lion sound played over the PA.

Years ago they use to have a Griz Growl over the PA but it sounded like a long Burp so they quit doing it.

Here is an actual sound of a Bobcat if you're interested.

http://www.sounddogs.com/sound-effects/2106/mp3/274573_SOUNDDOGS__bo.mp3

That sounds like the zombie dudes in quake! xthumbsupx

HLNgriz
November 18th, 2009, 05:03 PM

YESSSSSSSS! Much better than sorry Kpax

CrunchGriz
November 18th, 2009, 05:20 PM
YESSSSSSSS! Much better than sorry Kpax

I believe that it's the KPAX feed, so don't get too excited yet.

Walkon79
November 18th, 2009, 05:44 PM

Finally found a sane Grizzly fan:)

Walkon79
November 18th, 2009, 05:45 PM
I just wouldn't consider Kempt/Iddens, Mason, or any of your receivers "STARS". Montana on the other hand has the country's #5 running back(yards per game), #9 quarterback(passing efficiency), and #9 receiver(yards per game).

Those are pretty obvious STARS in my book. Sorry I had to go back a few years to find your STARS at those positions.

Take it to SMACK you jerk!

Walkon79
November 18th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Ever heard of a freshman named Gilbert? Better get used to it.

T-Dog
November 18th, 2009, 07:44 PM
On the other hand, the Griz pay attention to each and every game and don't have time worrying about Griz-Cat until the game actually happen.

There's no way the Griz were paying attention to Idaho State. xlolx

Deb and Todd
November 18th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Lurker for years, but my first post. I can't resist because I think I may be representative of many people in Montana.

I spent two years at MT state, my wife spent 2 years at UM. We both finished at EMC.

After marriage, we moved to Missoula and lived there from 1987-1997 before moving back to Billings. Growing up in Cat country, (Wolf Point or extreme northeastern MT), the first couple of years of living in Missoula was hard on me. Eventually I became a Grizz Fan.

Our best friends, similar situation, he's a MSU alumni, she's a UM alumni. (Do the cat guys end up with all the hot UM women?)

I have two children now, one a Cat Fan, one a Grizz fan. I have friends who have kids attending both schools. There will be a party at my home on Saturday, and it will be a blast. Half the living room will be Cat Fans, half Grizz Fans.

Forget about records for this game. Anything can happen at Cat/GrizZ.(Okay, my age old Cat bias is still there, its been Cat/Grizz from the time I was in grade school. Even though, I cheering for the Grizz, it can't be the Grizz/Cat game. That's just not right.

PS;
I also have a close friend who lives in Boone, NC. Last summer, while enjoying NC, my Cat loving daughter just had to go the ASU bookstore and buy an App State hoodie. Talk about a difficult situation. Mom and dad agreed she could have an App state hoodie, but once we walked up to the second floor of the bookstore and saw all that black and gold, I just wanted to reneg. For this Grizz fan, it was hard to let my daughter buy that black/gold jersey.

The next day we rented some canoes and floated down one of your many calm streams. My wife was wearing Grizz gear and daughter that new App state hoodie. They guy at the canoe rental place was very complementary. He told my wife, the Grizz were his 2nd favorite team behind App state.

I'll never leave Montana, but Western North Carolina is beuatiful. Get rid of half the people, and there is not much differnce from Missoula.

Proud Griz Man
November 18th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Let's Rock !!!

http://archive.montanagrizzlies.com/Football/2006/vs_Montana_S/ryan_bagley10.jpg

http://archive.montanagrizzlies.com/Football/2004/monte2.jpg

link to the Video Highlights of the Brawl from 2008:

http://www.montanagrizzlies.com/pages/media_item.aspx?n=7631&m=18

link to the Video Highlights of the Brawl from 2007:

http://www.montanagrizzlies.com/pages/media_item.aspx?n=7136&m=18

link to the Video Highlights of the 2006 Brawl:

http://www.montanagrizzlies.com/pages/media_item.aspx?n=7159&m=18

link to the Video Highlights of the 2005 Brawl:

http://www.montanagrizzlies.com/pages/media_item.aspx?n=7165&m=18

link to the Video Highlights of the 2004 Brawl (two part):

http://www.montanagrizzlies.com/pages/media_item.aspx?n=7178&m=18

http://archive.montanagrizzlies.com/Football/2005/saenz_biermann.jpg
http://archive.montanagrizzlies.com/Football/2006/vs_Montana_S/mike_murphy_sd.jpg

http://archive.montanagrizzlies.com/Football/2006/vs_Montana_S/craig_mettler10.jpg
http://archive.montanagrizzlies.com/Football/2006/vs_Montana_S/dustin_dlouhy.jpg

http://archive.montanagrizzlies.com/Football/2006/vs_Montana_S/kerry_mullan11.jpg
http://archive.montanagrizzlies.com/Football/2006/vs_Montana_S/kyle_ryan11.jpg
http://archive.montanagrizzlies.com/Football/2006/vs_Montana_S/loren_utterback_sd.jpg

profisme
November 18th, 2009, 10:47 PM
Thank you Proud Griz Man for those links. I probably should have held off on watching those until Saturday morning though.... going to make it difficult to get through the next couple days at work and in class.

YoUDeeMan
November 18th, 2009, 10:54 PM
OK - football is important, but for all of the young, single men in Bozeman, I am about to tell you something even more important:

I will be rooting for the Cats to win this weekend because today at CVG, I met two attractive young ladies...one absolutely smoking hot...from Bozeman. They are going to be starting their own business in town soon...one is a doctor...and both ski.

On a side note, one has a boyfriend who went to Montana, but she will be switching to the Cats because she doesn't want to be frowned upon while living in Bozeman.

Smart girl. xthumbsupx

Go Cats!

And you Bozeman guys should think about getting out on the slopes and getting yourselves hurt. xnodx

Silenoz
November 18th, 2009, 11:33 PM
OK - football is important, but for all of the young, single men in Bozeman, I am about to tell you something even more important:

I will be rooting for the Cats to win this weekend because today at CVG, I met two attractive young ladies...one absolutely smoking hot...from Bozeman. They are going to be starting their own business in town soon...one is a doctor...and both ski.

On a side note, one has a boyfriend who went to Montana, but she will be switching to the Cats because she doesn't want to be frowned upon while living in Bozeman.

Smart girl. xthumbsupx

Go Cats!

And you Bozeman guys should think about getting out on the slopes and getting yourselves hurt. xnodx

xlolxxlolxxlolx

MSU can have that sort of fan

GrizFanStuckInUtah
November 19th, 2009, 12:17 AM

Smart girl. xthumbsupx

Go Cats!

A switch hitter eh? xlolx

Poker Alan
November 19th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Bump for 2 days till game day...

wapiti
November 19th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Game day weather:
High: 40
Low 15
30% chance of moisture - in the morning.

Bronco
November 19th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Griz Granny nails it again....

http://www.egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40261

Poker Alan
November 19th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Griz Granny delivers, again.... love that picture of the yard decoration, would love more to see it in action...

Silenoz
November 19th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Ah, if only she had video of it in action

CopperCat
November 19th, 2009, 01:01 PM

Who gives a crap about apathy.

CopperCat
November 19th, 2009, 01:13 PM
xlolxxlolxxlolx

MSU can have that sort of fan

I've met more fair weather griz fans than from any other fanbase. But that's really secondary to what I was going to say, merely an observation.

The Cats have had some stuff to deal with this year, mainly in the secondary with all the injuries that happened early on. They lost to a team they should have beaten (NAU) and they once again bowed down to EWU which IMO is almost as bad as losing to UM. But the last three games they have showed steady improvement in key areas, and they have found a rhythm on offense. The turnovers will be key. We NEED to take care of the ball, and I guarantee Ash has been beating that dead horse all week long. The defense will come to play, period. The offense will probably struggle at first, but I think the ground game will give us a boost in the second quarter. The second half will be key for MSU, we always seem to let down a bit after the break, at least on the scoreboard. Looking forward to watching this one.

Silenoz
November 19th, 2009, 01:44 PM
I've met more fair weather griz fans than from any other fanbase. But that's really secondary to what I was going to say, merely an observation.

Yes, we know, you guys bring it up all the time :D

elkmcc
November 19th, 2009, 01:47 PM

I find it humorous that last weekend the Griz had a sell out crowd at Wa/Griz and the kitties had a half empty stadium that holds half the capacity of Wa/Griz. Both teams are from Montana but a little snow kept half your fans from showing up for the game. Who has the "fair weather" fans? Merely an observation....

Enjoy your last few days of national attention. As usual, there will be no playoff spot for the kitties this year.

P.S. The Griz attendance last Saturday was more than the rest of the entire conference combined.

100%GRIZ
November 19th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Yea - All 25,000 plus fair weather fans (each and every week)!!!

Silenoz
November 19th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Dammit, I forgot about the "worlds tiniest violin" emoticon xlolx

CopperCat
November 19th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Yea - All 25,000 plus fair weather fans (each and every week)!!!

Damn, now that you put it that way, there are alot more of you all than I had previously thought!

catatac
November 19th, 2009, 02:39 PM
I find it humorous that last weekend the Griz had a sell out crowd at Wa/Griz and the kitties had a half empty stadium that holds half the capacity of Wa/Griz. Both teams are from Montana but a little snow kept half your fans from showing up for the game. Who has the "fair weather" fans? Merely an observation....

Enjoy your last few days of national attention. As usual, there will be no playoff spot for the kitties this year.

P.S. The Griz attendance last Saturday was more than the rest of the entire conference combined.

And you guys wonder why most of the rest of FCS thinks that Griz fans are arrogant.

bpcats
November 19th, 2009, 02:42 PM
I expect the Griz to win this weekend.

I do look forward to this game though as the Cats will basically be fielding the same team next year and actually may be stronger in some postions.

We will lose Dane Fletcher but get back Brad Smith. We lose olb Price but Jody Owens has already stepped into that position. Brad Daly will take over the other linebacker position. We lose Ryan Cerise, but true freshman Zach Minter will be able to step into that role.

In the secondary where we have been playing with our top 3 corners all year, we get back Arnold Briggs, and Zach Coleman and true freshman Darius Jones has already proven a capable starter.

On offense we lose Jeff Hansen on the oline but Ben Tauanuu is already getting plenty of reps on the oline. We have to replace Mason at rb, but Palmer and Beckstead will be back.

Our wide receiving corp will all be back and are having a very good year. Cody Kempt and our stud redshirt freshman qb will be running the offense.

I look forward to this weekends game, it should be a good one.

Bronco
November 19th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Dammit, I forgot about the "worlds tiniest violin" emoticon xlolx

This is a different version for after the game.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/images/nopitya.gif

elkmcc
November 19th, 2009, 02:59 PM
I expect the Griz to win this weekend.

Our wide receiving corp will all be back and are having a very good year. Cody Kempt and our stud redshirt freshman qb will be running the offense.

I look forward to this weekends game, it should be a good one.

Exactly! A very good year for the kitties is 7-4. A very bad year for the Griz is 8-3.

Hellgate60
November 19th, 2009, 03:04 PM
I'm pumped for this game. Wish I could make it to Bozeman to watch the game. Go Griz!

wapiti
November 19th, 2009, 03:10 PM
I'm pumped for this game. Wish I could make it to Bozeman to watch the game. Go Griz!

Watch it on tv (kpax), but turn the sound off and listen to the radio feed.
The kpax announcers are awful.

CopperCat
November 19th, 2009, 03:33 PM
And you guys wonder why most of the rest of FCS thinks that Griz fans are arrogant.

I'll second that.

GolfingGriz
November 19th, 2009, 05:42 PM

xlolxxlolx
Someone called us out on our "fair weather fan" and then got owned with logic. Yes it may have been a bit arrogant, but it was clearly backed up with facts.xnodxxnodx

GrizFanStuckInUtah
November 19th, 2009, 10:59 PM
Bumpity

fencer24
November 19th, 2009, 11:01 PM
Bump, Bump.

catbob
November 20th, 2009, 01:16 AM
No point in bumping. I'm not a big fan of smack talk, and I tried a couple times in here to talk football but it just digressed.

Here's hoping to a Cat victory Saturday! xthumbsupx

GolfingGriz
November 20th, 2009, 04:25 AM
No point in bumping. I'm not a big fan of smack talk, and I tried a couple times in here to talk football but it just digressed.

I agree. For whatever reason, the banter was better last year than it has been this year.

Everyone knows how good the Grizzly offense and the Bobcat defense is. I think the game will be won and lost when the Bobcat offense is on the field. Last year Desin was obviously overmatched and Crawford did all he could to keep the cats in the game, but turnovers and special teams ultimately killed the cats.

Special Teams is an area where the Cats have really progressed and have turned it into a strength as opposed to a weakness. They have also done a good job of forcing turnovers and allowing their offense to take over with short fields. I think that if the Cats can score 28 points they will win. However I have enough trust in the Grizzly defense to hold the Cats to 21 or less points. Should be a better matchup than in the last two years and could become a classic like 1997 or 1998, but hopefully not 2002 or 2003.

wapiti
November 20th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Game Day Weather:
High of 39
Low of 17
30 % Chance of moisture - in the morning
Wind 14 mph out of the west.

YoUDeeMan
November 20th, 2009, 12:37 PM

Hey, I'm doing my best to keep this thread alive...I added two attractive, intelligent female Cat fans to the dicsussion and it kept you guys interested for about 1 hour and 23 minutes.

I am currently watching a squadron of fighter jets taking off with after their burners at ACY. Let's hope the Cats kick in their burners this weekend and beat the Griz.

Chicks and fighter jets...if that doesn't do it, this thread is dead.

Grrrrriz
November 20th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Watch it on tv (kpax), but turn the sound off and listen to the radio feed.
The kpax announcers are awful.

I think that since it is in Bozeman, it is probably the Max Media broadcast. They might be doing both, but I will watch the Max Media one as it is done way more professionally.

wapiti
November 20th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Hey, I'm doing my best to keep this thread alive...I added two attractive, intelligent female Cat fans to the dicsussion and it kept you guys interested for about 1 hour and 23 minutes.

I am currently watching a squadron of fighter jets taking off with after their burners at ACY. Let's hope the Cats kick in their burners this weekend and beat the Griz.

Chicks and fighter jets...if that doesn't do it, this thread is dead.

I find it a bit delusional that several Griz fans think they are going to throttle (pun intended) the Bobcats tomorrow. The game is in Bozeman and no one, except for Mich. State, has been able to throttle the Bobcats.

I look for this game to be close, and with home field advantage, the Cats will win by one score.

CrazyCat
November 20th, 2009, 12:52 PM
I think that since it is in Bozeman, it is probably the Max Media broadcast. They might be doing both, but I will watch the Max Media one as it is done way more professionally.

Sorry to say that it will be KPAX and its affiliates.

Poker Alan
November 20th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Grizzly Offense > Bobcat Offense
Bobcat Defense > Grizzly Defense

MSU has more to play for (a potential spot vs seeding). UM is playing for their fifth perfect season in history (obv still have the playoffs, just saying) ... I am exceedingly nervous about this matchup. Question for Bobcat fans... Does Chase Reynolds have you nervous at all?

Silenoz
November 20th, 2009, 12:55 PM
I'd say they sound more nervous about Mariani at this point

Hopefully Chase can get it going early and crush some people in the secondary

wapiti
November 20th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Sorry to say that it will be KPAX and its affiliates.

Even the camera work of kpax leaves a lot to be desired.

I thought UM had a media college, why can't they get decent announcers and camera people?

catbob
November 20th, 2009, 01:17 PM

MSU has more to play for (a potential spot vs seeding). UM is playing for their fifth perfect season in history (obv still have the playoffs, just saying) ... I am exceedingly nervous about this matchup. Question for Bobcat fans... Does Chase Reynolds have you nervous at all?

I wouldn't go so far as to say nervous. I'm more worried we will stuff Chase early on and force the Griz to pass. Teams have abandoned the run when the Cats shut it down in the 1st half or so and have found success passing.

Chase certainly concerns me, but I'm not nervous. We have had some tackling issues this year against stronger backs once they break through the DLine, so that certainly could be an issue.

catbob
November 20th, 2009, 01:24 PM
I also read in the paper that the Griz are outscored in the 1st half, and outscore their opponents pretty badly in the 2nd half. The Cats ourscore their opponents by a bit in the first half, and get outscored pretty badly in the 2nd half.

The key here would be for the Cats to get some early quick scores and hope to hold off the Griz onslaught. If the Griz get up early, it could be a very long, cold day in Bozeman.

CrazyCat
November 20th, 2009, 01:37 PM
I'm always nervous.
One thing the Cats have this year is depth on the d-line and LB corp. Even with starting MLB Bignell out (supposedly) with a spinal infection. I don't think they will get worn down like they did in the second half last year. Stopping Marianis YAC is the key for the MSU defense.

saccat
November 20th, 2009, 01:40 PM
I'd say they sound more nervous about Mariani at this point

Hopefully Chase can get it going early and crush some people in the secondary

I am nervous about everyone. It seems like some player from each team steps up when the "stars" are shut down. I am worried about the cut-back and the shovel pass. I am worried that I will be to hammered to remember that we won, or not hammered enough to forget if we lose. That is why this is such a great game.

Silenoz
November 20th, 2009, 02:46 PM
I also read in the paper that the Griz are outscored in the 1st half, and outscore their opponents pretty badly in the 2nd half. The Cats ourscore their opponents by a bit in the first half, and get outscored pretty badly in the 2nd half.

The key here would be for the Cats to get some early quick scores and hope to hold off the Griz onslaught. If the Griz get up early, it could be a very long, cold day in Bozeman.

I think we had about 7 total points in the first quarter through 5 games or so :(

Poker Alan
November 20th, 2009, 02:50 PM
I wouldn't go so far as to say nervous. I'm more worried we will stuff Chase early on and force the Griz to pass. Teams have abandoned the run when the Cats shut it down in the 1st half or so and have found success passing.

Chase certainly concerns me, but I'm not nervous. We have had some tackling issues this year against stronger backs once they break through the DLine, so that certainly could be an issue.

Chase has really performed better in the 2nd half of most games, after our passing attack has loosened up the D just a bit... I have been frustrated all year at our inability to run/move the ball in the 1st half... so this is going to be an interesting dynamic.

Uncle Rico's Clan
November 20th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Even the camera work of kpax leaves a lot to be desired.

I thought UM had a media college, why can't they get decent announcers and camera people?

From what I have heard, KPAX gets a ton of complaints every monday morning after a Griz road game and changes are never made, the decision makers at the station have big egos and seem to think the production quality is good enough.

wapiti
November 20th, 2009, 05:05 PM
From what I have heard, KPAX gets a ton of complaints every monday morning after a Griz road game and changes are never made, the decision makers at the station have big egos and seem to think the production quality is good enough.

Of course they have big egos, they are Griz fans.

catbob
November 20th, 2009, 05:11 PM
I'm always nervous.
One thing the Cats have this year is depth on the d-line and LB corp. Even with starting MLB Bignell out (supposedly) with a spinal infection. I don't think they will get worn down like they did in the second half last year. Stopping Marianis YAC is the key for the MSU defense.

That is the one silver lining from all the injuries and illness from this season, is that a lot of guys have seen a lot of time, but we will have a lot of fresh legs. Price should be back in full swing, Owens and Harris have substantial playing time but haven't played too many full games. Fletcher was out, so O'Connell got more time. The DLine might actually be the most worn down, since they have stayed relatively healthy all year (excluding when D'Alba gets himself taken out of the game for a PF xlolx). At least Minter and K'elil (I always butcher that) have seen some time each.

My biggest concern for this game is tackling. A couple games this year we seemed to start trying to arm tackle people in the 2nd half, and had some problems with that. You can't arm tackle Mariani or Reynolds.

I'm gettin' jacked for the game! Have to travel out of state for a funeral, but I think I have the family convinced to stop in Idaho Falls on the way down to SLC and catch the game at the party. :)

Walkon79
November 20th, 2009, 05:20 PM

Scared Sh-tless!! 8 man football is king, and he was the King of 8 man football!

GrizFanStuckInUtah
November 20th, 2009, 06:03 PM
That is the one silver lining from all the injuries and illness from this season, is that a lot of guys have seen a lot of time, but we will have a lot of fresh legs. Price should be back in full swing, Owens and Harris have substantial playing time but haven't played too many full games. Fletcher was out, so O'Connell got more time. The DLine might actually be the most worn down, since they have stayed relatively healthy all year (excluding when D'Alba gets himself taken out of the game for a PF xlolx). At least Minter and K'elil (I always butcher that) have seen some time each.

My biggest concern for this game is tackling. A couple games this year we seemed to start trying to arm tackle people in the 2nd half, and had some problems with that. You can't arm tackle Mariani or Reynolds.

I'm gettin' jacked for the game! Have to travel out of state for a funeral, but I think I have the family convinced to stop in Idaho Falls on the way down to SLC and catch the game at the party. :)

Just make sure to bring some full strength beer down, this 3.2 stuff isn't so good down here. xnonono2xxlolx

Poker Alan
November 20th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Scared Sh-tless!! 8 man football is king, and he was the King of 8 man football!

xconfusedx

I really hope you aren't discounting his abilities at the collegiate level, with this dig...

gbhmt
November 20th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Of course they have big egos, they are Griz fans.

Many things the KPAX announcers are, homers they are not. Honestly, Phil Buck seems to get more excited when the opposing team does something rather than the Griz. Maybe he's so used to seeing good plays by the guys in maroon that he's jaded. :D

uofmman1122
November 20th, 2009, 06:48 PM
xconfusedx

I really hope you aren't discounting his abilities at the collegiate level, with this dig...From what I know of Walkon, I think he's being serious.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
November 20th, 2009, 07:28 PM
From what I know of Walkon, I think he's being serious.

+1

CopperCat
November 20th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Many things the KPAX announcers are, homers they are not. Honestly, Phil Buck seems to get more excited when the opposing team does something rather than the Griz. Maybe he's so used to seeing good plays by the guys in maroon that he's jaded. :D

The radio announcers on the other hand ARE the biggest homers I have heard broadcasting a BSC game. The only broadcast from an opposing team I haven't heard is Sac State, but all the rest seem to be ok, with the exception of the aforementioned griz commentators.

uofmman1122
November 20th, 2009, 09:19 PM
The radio announcers on the other hand ARE the biggest homers I have heard broadcasting a BSC game. The only broadcast from an opposing team I haven't heard is Sac State, but all the rest seem to be ok, with the exception of the aforementioned griz commentators.Yes they are homers, but they're our homers.

Mick's the best sports broadcaster in the state, hands down.

CopperCat
November 20th, 2009, 11:29 PM
Yes they are homers, but they're our homers.

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

putter
November 20th, 2009, 11:32 PM
The radio announcers on the other hand ARE the biggest homers I have heard broadcasting a BSC game. The only broadcast from an opposing team I haven't heard is Sac State, but all the rest seem to be ok, with the exception of the aforementioned griz commentators.

You obviously did not hear the ISU announcers. They were blatently homers which, if they are ISU announcers, you would expect

Proud Griz Man
November 20th, 2009, 11:59 PM

We have playfully jousted over the years, but I wanted to say "safe travels to you catbob" and "sorry about your loss". :(

I agree with your analysis of the game. It will probably be a low-scoring and hard-fought game, given the the last few weeks performances for MSU and UM.

wapiti
November 21st, 2009, 09:59 AM
Yes they are homers, but they're our homers.

I have never heard Mick, so I cannot make a judgment on him, but I highly doubt it.

The best announcer the Cat's ever had was Dean Alexander, the current guy does ok. (I cannot think of his name at the moment.) I would argu Dean was best sports announcer in the State ever.

I am under the impression that kpax provides the announcers for all Griz games whether at home or away. I also know that the kpax owners/managers are huge Griz fans and they have always had Griz biased announcers for every Griz game.

wapiti
November 21st, 2009, 10:02 AM
Current game day weather at 9:00 am:
cloudy
very little wind
a light dusting of fresh snow on the ground.

mtbigdog
November 21st, 2009, 10:32 AM
Interesting story put this whole rivalry thing into perspective last night.Neighbor came over to tell me how great the cats are,and offered to make a wager.I said I didn:t want to take his money.So I proposed an alternative.Loser would have to display the opposing teams logo on his mailbox for a week. Ten minutes later he came back with a grizz sign and said "will this work" I laughed and said yes Might as well put it up now!:)

Peems
November 21st, 2009, 12:11 PM
less than an hour!!! Go GRIZ

Poker Alan
November 21st, 2009, 12:11 PM
Pregame show has started on KPAX ... LETS GO GRIZ!!!!!!!!!!!!

MR. CHICKEN
November 21st, 2009, 12:28 PM
C'MON MONTE....ALMOST TIME TA BUCKLE DUH CHIN-STRAP.......xpopcornx.....AWK!

Screamin_Eagle174
November 21st, 2009, 12:31 PM
I'm glad our game doesn't start until 2 (3pm MT), so I get to watch all of this one. Should be a classic.

Go Griz!

griz37
November 21st, 2009, 12:51 PM
Go Griz!!!

gbhmt
November 21st, 2009, 01:10 PM
Not liking these late flags.

CopperCat
November 21st, 2009, 01:10 PM
Two pretty chippy personal fouls on the griz to start the game. I'll take it!

gbhmt
November 21st, 2009, 01:11 PM
Mason just got ROCKED.

gbhmt
November 21st, 2009, 01:15 PM
7 yard run on UM's first play from scrimmage. Good sign.

gbhmt
November 21st, 2009, 01:17 PM
And so the Fletcher fits begin...

gbhmt
November 21st, 2009, 01:17 PM
WHAT A PUNT!!

Bronco
November 21st, 2009, 01:18 PM
Both teams fired up and hitting.
Not sure I've ever seen a personal foul on the kicker on the opening kick.

Go Griz

Bronco
November 21st, 2009, 01:20 PM
Pick...happy he's back

gbhmt
November 21st, 2009, 01:20 PM
Bad throw by Kempt turns into a pick for UM.

gbhmt
November 21st, 2009, 01:22 PM
Big completion to who of all people? MARC.

Bronco
November 21st, 2009, 01:23 PM
Punch it in
Mariani has great hands

gbhmt
November 21st, 2009, 01:24 PM
Cats' pass rush is showing itself to be all it's hyped up to be.

profisme
November 21st, 2009, 01:25 PM
Not that it matters now, but that looked to be a fumble...

gbhmt
November 21st, 2009, 01:25 PM
And what do you know, another penalty negates what would have been a score. Sounds all too familiar...

Bronco
November 21st, 2009, 01:26 PM
Missed 43 yard FG
Where's my Jack and coke

profisme
November 21st, 2009, 01:30 PM
Like to see Kempt's mobility

Tod
November 21st, 2009, 01:33 PM
Battle of the punters...

profisme
November 21st, 2009, 01:33 PM
Excellent punt by Fisher to pin the Griz at the 3

Bronco
November 21st, 2009, 01:35 PM
Typical Griz 1st quarter
if its 0-0 after I'll feel pretty good.

Not surprised tha cats in no huddle to keep the Griz from sub-n

profisme
November 21st, 2009, 01:36 PM
SAFETY!!!

Tod
November 21st, 2009, 01:36 PM
OUCH!

profisme
November 21st, 2009, 01:37 PM
Ogden and Fletcher are two of the best if not the best DL in the conference

profisme
November 21st, 2009, 01:38 PM
Another stupid penalty on the Griz

profisme
November 21st, 2009, 01:40 PM
Another bad throw by Kempt

gbhmt
November 21st, 2009, 01:40 PM
Gotta take the sack or throw that one away. Bad decision=pick for UM.

gbhmt
November 21st, 2009, 01:41 PM
Actually looking at the replay, he did try to throw it away, but the hit on the QB took away some of the juice on the ball.

gbhmt
November 21st, 2009, 01:42 PM
I don't know why they're letting Mariani open so much. He hasn't really been contested downfield.

gbhmt
November 21st, 2009, 01:43 PM
There's the moves and speed that make Sambrano such a good kick returner.

Bronco
November 21st, 2009, 01:43 PM
So turnovers cats and penalties Griz seems to be the theme for the day

Tod
November 21st, 2009, 01:44 PM
Griz moving the ball well now...You don't see the ball go through Mariani's hands like that very often...

bodoyle
November 21st, 2009, 01:44 PM
I'm watching on my sports package.

I'm guessing this is the local CBS station out there...KPAX 8?

gbhmt
November 21st, 2009, 01:45 PM
I'm watching on my sports package.

I'm guessing this is the local CBS station out there...KPAX 8?

Yep. Although it looks like for this game the usual KPAX people from Missoula are teaming up with some announcers from Bozeman.

Bronco
theme of the day is cat turnovers and Griz penalties

profisme
Well Mariani still scares the crap out of me. Reynolds doesn't scare me much because the Cats do a great job in stuffing the run and getting off of blocks at the point of attack. Sambrano does have really nice moves.

gbhmt
November 21st, 2009, 01:47 PM
Great place to call the screen play. We've burned so many defenses with that this year.

Poker Alan
November 21st, 2009, 01:47 PM
The Griz are horribly undisciplined, I mentioned this in the strength/weaknesses thread, these penalties are killing us...

profisme
November 21st, 2009, 01:49 PM
You just can't run it in from inside the 5 against the Cats

Tod
November 21st, 2009, 01:50 PM
Griz go for it on 4th and goal and don't get in!

gbhmt
I can't believe that call. I don't care how good a run defense is, if Chase needs a single yard up the middle he can get it. Can't believe you call that for the outside.

Bronco
Like last year in Missoula...Good goal line stand for the cats

Bronco
November 21st, 2009, 01:51 PM
safety Griz

2-2

profisme
2-2.... wow

Tod
Safety Griz!!

2-2

ha ha haaaaaaa

gbhmt
November 21st, 2009, 01:52 PM
2-2...what a weird game.

gbhmt
November 21st, 2009, 01:54 PM
It seems that Mariani cannot be covered.

Bronco
November 21st, 2009, 01:54 PM
Gonna miss M.M. next year

gbhmt
November 21st, 2009, 01:56 PM
Gonna miss M.M. next year

And Palmer! Receiving corps will be young next year.

gbhmt
November 21st, 2009, 01:56 PM
What a great fake screen call right there.

gbhmt
November 21st, 2009, 01:57 PM
Who with the touchdown catch? "Night" Mariani!

Bronco
Radio guys said a cat has something written on his stomach and he keeps pulling up his shirt and showing the fans
Anyone know wht it says

9-2
TD MM

profisme
as i said before, Mariani scares the crap out of me, especially 1 on 1 with Mark Desin (converted QB)

Bronco
November 21st, 2009, 01:58 PM
as i said before, Mariani scares the crap out of me, especially 1 on 1 with Mark Desin (converted QB)

He seems to come up big in this game.

gbhmt
November 21st, 2009, 01:59 PM
I don't remember who said it, but one cat fan said earlier that his fear was they'd stop the run and force us to pass and then get burned in the air. That's exactly what's happening.

profisme
November 21st, 2009, 02:00 PM
Cats need to limit their mistakes, three big ones so far.

profisme
November 21st, 2009, 02:00 PM
Iddins just about gets his RB killed, and nearly throws a pick 6

Poker Alan
November 21st, 2009, 02:01 PM
Well, that was more like it, Selle with accurate passing, big tackle-break by the TE, then a sweet pass (although, once again, couldn't see it on the live broadcast) ... Griz D has come to play. Bobcats will need some O adjustments at half...

gbhmt
November 21st, 2009, 02:02 PM
I'm soooooooo glad that Johnson is back in the game. He's our most essential player on defense.

profisme
November 21st, 2009, 02:02 PM
Iddins just doesn't have the arm to get it done, period

profisme
November 21st, 2009, 02:03 PM
Even with the 2 picks, Kempt is the better QB, I just hope Ash puts him back in

Bronco
November 21st, 2009, 02:03 PM
Hope they keep throwing to T.J's side.

Smart to kick away from MM'maybe the cats are smart afterall

profisme
November 21st, 2009, 02:04 PM
The Cats know just how dangerous Mariani is. They will try to limit his touches, at least on the punting side.

profisme
November 21st, 2009, 02:05 PM
Huge hit by Cosme-Peko dislodging the ball from Beaudin

Edit: Beaudin dropped it before the hit

gbhmt
November 21st, 2009, 02:06 PM
Nice hit by that safety.

Bronco
November 21st, 2009, 02:07 PM
Our punter is ?? all year

gbhmt
November 21st, 2009, 02:09 PM
OUCH. Kempt's current QB efficiency? 2...

profisme
November 21st, 2009, 02:10 PM
Gilbert just about breaks it....

profisme
November 21st, 2009, 02:11 PM
I don't know why Fisher just punted it to the middle of the field......... and on a line........

gbhmt
November 21st, 2009, 02:12 PM
Can't punt it to him...xrotatehx

Bronco
I guess that's why they should kick it out of bounds

Yelling at the punter on the sideline

Bronco
Need a score on this drive

profisme
November 21st, 2009, 02:15 PM
Fletcher blocks the FG!!!

profisme
November 21st, 2009, 02:17 PM
Iddins is just terrible.......

gbhmt
November 21st, 2009, 02:17 PM
Iddins gets rocked by both UM DE's.

gbhmt
November 21st, 2009, 02:18 PM
Iddins is just terrible.......

It's not his fault that his blockers couldn't give him a single moment to throw.

profisme
November 21st, 2009, 02:18 PM
If Fisher punts this to Mariani further from 5 yards out of bounds.

profisme
November 21st, 2009, 02:19 PM
Big block in the back

MTGrizzFan
November 21st, 2009, 02:19 PM
damn Mariani is good

profisme
November 21st, 2009, 02:20 PM
Iddins bobbled the ball which gave him no time, it looked as if the play was designed to let the DE's get upfield.

profisme
November 21st, 2009, 02:21 PM
Glad to see Chase get up and jog off the field.

CopperCat
November 21st, 2009, 02:22 PM
Is Kempt hurt? Because if he isn't, he should be on the field. Iddins needs to go sit down and think about things. He does NOT have his head in the game 100% right now.

Bronco
November 21st, 2009, 02:22 PM
Chase comes up limping but looks to be OK
Hope so

profisme
November 21st, 2009, 02:23 PM
Don't know why Roper ran out of bounds....

Bronco
November 21st, 2009, 02:23 PM
Roper must be worried about his head...needs to get that 1st down

profisme
November 21st, 2009, 02:24 PM
Stupid stupid stupid stupid punt fake.

gbhmt
That was the dumbest thing I've seen in a long time.

profisme
Kempt back on the field.

CopperCat
Hellz yeah!!!! Now put that in the endzone boys!!!!!!!