PDA

View Full Version : How Good is ODU?

TheFCSAdvocate
November 15th, 2009, 11:39 AM
I got the idea for this thread when I saw that some ODU fans thought that ODU should be in the playoffs. I wouldn't go that far, but I think that they can finish with a 9-2 record, probably the best in Indy history. So, I think that they are a good team that doesn't deserve the playoffs, but still can compete.

Dane96
November 15th, 2009, 11:45 AM
They played a first year schedule and lost to a middle of the pack NEC team and a bad Patriot league team. There isnt a win on that schedule that would make you pick your head up and say...hmmmm.

Nuff said.

That sarcasm aside...i wouldnt want to play them in two-three years...they are going to be monsters.

UNHWildCats
November 15th, 2009, 11:46 AM
They haven't beaten anyone. No way does Old Dominion deserve a playoff spot. If the NCAA selection committee sat down with its 8 auto bids and only had 8 other teams with 7 Div I wins including Old Dominion, the selection committee would select a team with only 6 Div I wins over Old Dominion, thats how weak their schedule is.

Are they good? Yes, based on their schedule, but remember a few years ago, San Diego was GREAT with their schedule and where were they come playoff time.

WMTribe90
November 15th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Top 40-50. Hard to really tell with their low SOS. Game against VMI will be a good barometer. Very good for a first year program, that's for sure.

keydet71
November 15th, 2009, 11:48 AM
I'm not excited about what may or may not happen this coming Saturday. The JUCO & FBS transfers made them stronger quicker than anyone expected.

SDSUJacks
November 15th, 2009, 11:49 AM
For a 1st year team, I think they were fantastic this year. The schedule was soft, but understandably so. They did more than many people figured they would. They are supposed to jump into CAA play soon, so I expect a drop-off since they'll be playing much tougher competition. It could be a rough transition, but it may pay off for them in the long term. Plus, they are in an excellent recruiting area in Norfolk, and are already signing some stud players. They could be a player in the next 5 or 6 years once they adjust to the CAA.

WestCoastAggie
November 15th, 2009, 11:52 AM
I got this funny feeling that ODU might be playing in Philly on the 28th. Wouldn't that be a kick to the head of the S.O.S. Argument?

UNHWildCats
November 15th, 2009, 11:54 AM
I got this funny feeling that ODU might be playing in Philly on the 28th. Wouldn't that be a kick to the head of the S.O.S. Argument?
whats in philly on the 28th?

TheFCSAdvocate
November 15th, 2009, 11:55 AM

Yeah, what?

Keenan
November 15th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Great first year!

Not a good team. They're not even an average team and the computer ratings reflect that. Once ODU loses to VMI this week enough will be said.

WestCoastAggie
November 15th, 2009, 12:02 PM

Philadelphia, PA
A football game involving Villanova

SDSUJacks
November 15th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Philadelphia, PA

You're not hinting at a playoff game against Villanova are you?

Keenan
November 15th, 2009, 12:08 PM

Please! They're not even in the discussion! Maybe ODU and Butler can meet up in the toilet bowl!

SDSUJacks
November 15th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Please! They're not even in the discussion! Maybe ODU and Butler can meet up in the toilet bowl!

I agree, ODU is not a playoff team. Not even close. I was just guessing at what WestCoastAggie was insinuating.

WestCoastAggie
November 15th, 2009, 12:17 PM

HIGHLY unlikely but we never know... xwhistlex

All jokes aside, IF they make it in over EWU or Liberty, The committee needs to be fired.

tribe_pride
November 15th, 2009, 12:24 PM
You guys realize they are only 6-2 versus FCS competition, right?

They are great for a startup program but don't compare them to the playoff worthy FCS teams YET. Soon but not yet

UNHWildCats
November 15th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Philadelphia, PA
A football game involving Villanova
xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

if i had time I would put about a billion more of those faces.

WestCoastAggie
November 15th, 2009, 12:29 PM
xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

if i had time I would put about a billion more of those faces.

So Villanova isn't hosting a first round game? xeyebrowx

joecooll6
November 15th, 2009, 12:39 PM

No way Jose, they have two D2 wins and multiple wins over Pioneer League teams. Just not happening.

WestCoastAggie
November 15th, 2009, 12:42 PM
No way Jose, they have two D2 wins and multiple wins over Pioneer League teams. Just not happening.

I was being sarcastic.

DFW HOYA
November 15th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Old Dominion has something like 38 freshmen and redshirts on the two-deep. In three more seasons, they'll not only be a more experienced team, but a much deeper one with the kind of recruiting they'll do. The I-64 corridor is going to be a great place for college football in a couple of years.

I wish I could say the same for the the DC-Baltimore area, where the following records are in play entering the end of the season:

Maryland (I-A): 2-8
Howard (I-AA): 2-8
Towson (I-AA): 2-8
Georgetown (I-AA): 0-10
Catholic (III): 1-9
George Mason (club): 1-8 (one game cancelled because of lack of healthy players)

WestCoastAggie
November 15th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Old Dominion has something like 38 freshmen and redshirts on the two-deep. In three more seasons, they'll not only be a more experienced team, but a much deeper one with the kind of recruiting they'll do. The I-64 corridor is going to be a great place for college football in a couple of years.

I wish I could say the same for the the DC-Baltimore area, where the following records are in play entering the end of the season:

Maryland (I-A): 2-8
Howard (I-AA): 2-8
Towson (I-AA): 2-8
Georgetown (I-AA): 0-10
Catholic (III): 1-9
George Mason (club): 1-8 (one game cancelled because of lack of healthy players)
And don't forget the professional football team.
One BAD year for the DMV in football.

gophoenix
November 15th, 2009, 01:07 PM
I got the idea for this thread when I saw that some ODU fans thought that ODU should be in the playoffs. I wouldn't go that far, but I think that they can finish with a 9-2 record, probably the best in Indy history. So, I think that they are a good team that doesn't deserve the playoffs, but still can compete.

There have been plenty of Indy teams that have had 9-2, 10-1 and 11-0 records. Just look to 2001 and before when there were 10+ Indy teams.

TheFCSAdvocate
November 15th, 2009, 01:13 PM
And don't forget the professional football team.
One BAD year for the DMV in football.

Are you talking about the Ravens, or Redskins?

WestCoastAggie
November 15th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Are you talking about the Ravens, or Redskins?The Redskins

UNHWildCats
November 15th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Are you talking about the Ravens, or Redskins?
Neither are anything to write home about. xcoolx

Jackman
November 15th, 2009, 01:45 PM
They're somewhere in the mid-pack NEC to MEAC range.

Dane96
November 15th, 2009, 01:47 PM

I got a funny feeling you drink alot.xnodx

;)

Dukie95
November 15th, 2009, 04:06 PM
ODU beat 5 of the last 7 rated Sagarin teams...as of last week's rankings, anyway.

I suppose Morehead St. and Valparaiso didn't return their calls.

I don't think you'll find a team that played a weaker schedule.

wr70beh
November 16th, 2009, 10:35 AM
I'm glad someone made this thread because I was wondering what people thought about this. ODU has played a bunch of cupcakes in FCS, and two D2 schools. It's hard to judge how good they really are. I just don't see them as a top 50 FCS school this year. When they hop to the CAA in a couple of years they might compete in the middle of the pack.

GannonFan
November 16th, 2009, 10:44 AM
This year? Just not all that good. They lost to Fordham for crying out loud and lost to Monmouth at home. They are what they are - a first year program. And they'll probably lose big to VMI as well, and that's not impressive.

But, they are doing things the right way down there and it's been a very successful first year. I don't think they'll struggle too much competing in the CAA in 2011 and I wouldn't be shocked if they are a playoff team by 2013 at the latest.

89Hen
November 16th, 2009, 10:47 AM
The JUCO & FBS transfers made them stronger quicker than anyone expected.
I don't know about anyone. xwhistlex

89Hen
November 16th, 2009, 10:48 AM
And they'll probably lose big to VMI as well
xeyebrowx You been talking to OLDCOACH? xsmiley_wix

GannonFan
November 16th, 2009, 10:50 AM
xeyebrowx You been talking to OLDCOACH? xsmiley_wix

Right over my head on that one - who? xlolx

putter
November 16th, 2009, 11:01 AM
I think you have to keep it in the perspective of what they are, a first year program. It is kind of similar to a new high school that only plays a JV schedule until they get upperclassmen. They played a schedule that anyone would play and any ODU fan that mentions their FB team and the playoffs is just trying to stir the pot. That said, they had a great first year, coupled with their support, bodes very well in the near future! Congrats to them and I hope they continue to build upon this year as the FCS can only benefit from a strong ODU program. xthumbsupx

Monarch Nation
November 16th, 2009, 11:41 AM
I don't know which ODU posters think we should be in the playoffs but they certainly need a check up from the neck up.

We are good for a first year team, the emphasis being 'first year team.' We have beaten nobody of note. We have a lot of potential to make the playoffs a few years down the road, but for now we are champions of nothing but the Hostess League.

soccerguy315
November 16th, 2009, 03:28 PM
ODU has had a great year for what they are.

There will be a time when ODU can be talked about in terms of being a top 50, and then a top 25 team. That time is not now.

bigblue78
November 16th, 2009, 03:39 PM
The vast majority of the Monarch Nation is well aware that ODU is not worthy of playoff consideration. We've had a blast this year and have been pleasantly surprised by the team's success...but, when asked a similar question by an over-zealous ODU poster on another forum I replied that even if ODU went (a then theoretical) 11-0 this year, they still would not be capable of winning a single game in the CAA South and until they are capable of not only competing, but succeeding, at that level then any suggestion of playoff potential is way off base.

But one word of caution...we will not be last in the CAA in 2011- nowhere near first, but definitely not last.

GannonFan
November 16th, 2009, 03:48 PM
But one word of caution...we will not be last in the CAA in 2011- nowhere near first, but definitely not last.

We get it, we all know Towson will still be in the CAA South come 2011. No need to smack on them like that what, 2 years in advance?? xlolx

blukeys
November 16th, 2009, 04:02 PM
This year? Just not all that good. They lost to Fordham for crying out loud and lost to Monmouth at home. They are what they are - a first year program. And they'll probably lose big to VMI as well, and that's not impressive.
But, they are doing things the right way down there and it's been a very successful first year. I don't think they'll struggle too much competing in the CAA in 2011 and I wouldn't be shocked if they are a playoff team by 2013 at the latest.

I don't know if they will lose to VMI. I have watched some Big South games this year and VMI is not impressive. Despite the fact that VMI is limited in athletic ability, they seem to make up for it by making a ton of mistakes.

jmufan999
November 16th, 2009, 04:40 PM
there is absolutely ZERO chance they make the playoffs. none. at all.

wr70beh
November 16th, 2009, 09:22 PM
With the talent pool in Tidewater, and the way they have built the program the right way, I would be surprised if they didn't compete for a playoff bid by 2013.