PDA

View Full Version : Elon @ Samford and ASU impact

Saint3333
November 15th, 2009, 09:32 AM
I'm torn in pulling for another SoCon team to make the playoffs vs. an easier road for ASU in the playoffs.

Currently ASU has a 50/50 shot of facing either SCST or the winner of W&M/Richmond in round 1. If Elon were to lose to Samford I believe Liberty is in the playoffs over Elon. If this were to occur a 1st round game vs. SCST would be very likely. No disrespect to SCST as they have a solid team and great fans, but I'd rather play them than UR/W&M.

ASU/Elon was a hard hitting game and neither team will be 100% next week - could be interesting outcome at Samford.

Saint3333
November 15th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Lembo in November/December:

2001 - 3-0, makes quarterfinals
2002 - 2-2, losses to Colgate and Lafayette
2003 - 3-1, loss to Colgate
2004 - 2-2, loss to Lafayette to back into the playoffs, loss to JMU
2005 - 2-1, loss to Lafayette, misses playoffs
2006 - Not counted, transition year
2007 - 1-2, losses to average Citadel and Furman teams
2008 - 1-2, losses to ASU and Liberty
2009 - 1-1, with Samford remaining

Can he get it done?

joecooll6
November 15th, 2009, 12:31 PM
If Elon doesn't make the playoffs again....... wow.

PhoenixMan
November 15th, 2009, 12:35 PM
I feel confident that we can take care of Samford (at least I'm trying to be). If they lose, and get left out again.....then I think that's a clear statement, that the answer is NO, Lembo can't get it done. Stay tuned......

Keenan
November 15th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Come on Samford!!! xbandwagonx

gophoenix
November 15th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Take it to the bank. We will lose against Samford.

1st team running back is out
1st team receiver out
1st team DL out

ElonPride
November 15th, 2009, 01:16 PM
I feel confident that we can take care of Samford (at least I'm trying to be). If they lose, and get left out again.....then I think that's a clear statement, that the answer is NO, Lembo can't get it done. Stay tuned......

I'm not too confident. Riddle was hurt in the 1st half against App, Andre Campbell left hurt, Eric Ludwig left hurt, Jamal Shuman left hurt, Brendon Newsome left hurt........ When listening to the gmae on the internet, it sounded like Elon came out of this game severely banged up.

Cincy App
November 15th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Take it to the bank. We will lose against Samford.

1st team running back is out
1st team receiver out
1st team DL out

As a SoCon fan, I would lke to see 2 SoCon teams in the playoffs. Elon is in with a win against Samford and clearly is on the bubble with a loss. It's time for Elon to step up and win a big November game this coming weekend. Good luck.

Keenan
November 15th, 2009, 01:24 PM
As a SoCon fan, I would lke to see 2 SoCon teams in the playoffs. Elon is in with a win against Samford and clearly is on the bubble with a loss. It's time for Elon to step up and win a big November game this coming weekend. Good luck.

Hopefully Elon shows up at Samford like they showed up at Liberty last November in the final week of the season. xwhistlex

gophoenix
November 15th, 2009, 01:41 PM

We lost our #2 receiver in Lance Camp
We lost our #1 RB in Jamal Shuman

In losing both of those, we lost both of our punt and kickoff return men.

Hudgins went out hurt.
Riddle gave up punting duties after getting hurt.
Then a DL, LB and Safety are reportedly out.

We're done.

soccerguy315
November 15th, 2009, 01:43 PM
If Elon loses next week, ASU's resume takes a hit. ASU would again be without a quality win.

4th and What?
November 15th, 2009, 01:45 PM
If Elon loses next week, ASU's resume takes a hit. ASU would again be without a quality win.

Define quality win......Elon stays in the top 25 with a loss to Samford, but probably doesn't make the playoffs.

Keenan
November 15th, 2009, 01:47 PM
We lost our #2 receiver in Lance Camp
We lost our #1 RB in Jamal Shuman

In losing both of those, we lost both of our punt and kickoff return men.

Hudgins went out hurt.
Riddle gave up punting duties after getting hurt.
Then a DL, LB and Safety are reportedly out.

We're done.

You guys are pathetic! Woe is me! xbawlingx Grow some sac and get behind your team! So what you lost to a great ASU team? Win and you're in. Liberty would be grateful to be in your position right now. Suck it up!

soccerguy315
November 15th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Define quality win......Elon stays in the top 25 with a loss to Samford, but probably doesn't make the playoffs.

playoff team

Elon will have beaten no one, and got handily beat by a Top 10 team. Can't use a win against them to boost your status if you are ASU.

pbr1893
November 15th, 2009, 02:06 PM
quality wins??? fine...whatever...app will play anyone, anytime, anywhere! ask any team and fan base whether they've beaten us or not this year or last, "which team would you rather not face in the playoffs when healthy?"(thanks again elon douche bags for those "sportsman-like hits" two years in a row)
and the answer is asu!

Saint3333
November 15th, 2009, 02:10 PM
playoff team

Elon will have beaten no one, and got handily beat by a Top 10 team. Can't use a win against them to boost your status if you are ASU.

Sure we can ASU walked into the game and gained almost 500 yards of offense on the #1 defense in the FCS and held a top 10 offense to almost half of their average.

joecooll6
November 15th, 2009, 02:30 PM
So, no chance Elon makes it if they lose? Really? I think 2nd place in the SoCon and 8 DI wins is a decent arguement.

joecooll6
November 15th, 2009, 02:31 PM
And since when did Samford become world beaters? I know they're a decent team, but man, it doesnt take much for the Elon faithful to give up does it?

Saint3333
November 15th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Last year Elon seemed to just quit after the loss to ASU. This Samford team is much better than the 2008 Liberty team they faced. If they aren't focused plus the injuries they may not score over 14 on Samford.

soccerguy315
November 15th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Sure we can ASU walked into the game and gained almost 500 yards of offense on the #1 defense in the FCS and held a top 10 offense to almost half of their average.

Would you use the same argument if you put up 500 yards on Penn?

Saint3333
November 15th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Lots of IFs from you today. Have you seen ASU play a game this year, I have a feeling you don't have a clue?

BigSouthFB
November 15th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Last year Elon seemed to just quit after the loss to ASU. This Samford team is much better than the 2008 Liberty team they faced. If they aren't focused plus the injuries they may not score over 14 on Samford.
I beg to differ. the 2008 Liberty team could beat this years Samford team.

soccerguy315
November 15th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Lots of IFs from you today. Have you seen ASU play a game this year, I have a feeling you don't have a clue?

answer my question and I'll answer yours.

If you put 500 points on Penn, would you be claiming how awesome the ASU offense is?

I was pretty confident that ASU would not have trouble with Elon, b/c I thought they (Elon) were over hyped all year. Not a quality win on their resume.

Just to clarify: I would not be surprised at all if ASU won the national championship. But at this point, their resume is not one of the best 4 resumes in the country

ASU_MBA
November 15th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Where is the elon swagger?

Saint3333
November 15th, 2009, 03:12 PM
I would say putting up 500 yards against any team in the top 10 of FCS defensively is a good showing.

WrenFGun
November 15th, 2009, 03:25 PM
I would say putting up 500 yards against any team in the top 10 of FCS defensively is a good showing.

There is some validity to saying they had no right to be in the top ten, considering resume. Even SCST's win over FAMU is better than anything Elon has..

AppMAN04
November 15th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Elon will have no choice but to win next week against Samford, Or go home trying! They were ranked all season long in the top ten just because they had a one two punch and a defense who had not played anybody all season but was #1 in the country.

FINAL THOUGHT: GOODLUCK ELON and dont get the big head so fast!

ElonPride
November 15th, 2009, 03:33 PM
There is some validity to saying they had no right to be in the top ten, considering resume. Even SCST's win over FAMU is better than anything Elon has..

It's an interesting scenario to say the least. Up until this game, Elon man-handled all SoCon teams (with the exception of Furman), while others like Wofford, El Cid and UTC had App on the ropes. Not exactly sure what happened yesterday, I just hope they can finish strong next week.

soccerguy315
fair enough then. Personally, I think the that there is a big difference between the [for example] UR defense and the Penn defense. I think ASU would cut through Penn like they did to Elon. I think the UR defense would have more to say.

I haven't seen ASU this year.

But as I said, I would not be surprised if they won the national championship. They are the real deal... just their resume is not top 4 right now.

elonfan06
There is some over exaggeration going on here after the post game hangover that occurred yesterday. For the record Hudgins is not hurt (spoke with him after the game) and I don't know the reliability of many of the other injury reports until they are released later in the week. The loss hurts but this team can regroup. I haven't given up any hope that we will finish out the season and be in the playoffs. Our fan base have NOT given up on this season and neither has our team. It's one loss that stings but there is another game to play.

GO PHOENIX!

ElonPride
November 15th, 2009, 03:34 PM
They were ranked all season long in the top ten just because they had a one two punch and a defense who had not played anybody all season but was #1 in the country.

FINAL THOUGHT: GOODLUCK ELON and dont get the big head so fast!

Well, Elon did sport that #1 D playing five of the same teams as App.......

AppMAN04
November 15th, 2009, 03:38 PM

It sure as hell wasnt a #1 D yesterday when we ran,passed and pimped slapped them!!
They will beat Samford, but they will be out early in the playoffs.

I know Riddle and since High school cant take a hit!
Hudgins will be a great NFL receiver

SU DOG
November 15th, 2009, 03:47 PM
I beg to differ. the 2008 Liberty team could beat this years Samford team.

Really? I beg to differ with you.

AppStsGr8
November 15th, 2009, 04:00 PM
There is some over exaggeration going on here after the post game hangover that occurred yesterday. For the record Hudgins is not hurt (spoke with him after the game) and I don't know the reliability of many of the other injury reports until they are released later in the week. The loss hurts but this team can regroup. I haven't given up any hope that we will finish out the season and be in the playoffs. Our fan base have NOT given up on this season and neither has our team. It's one loss that stings but there is another game to play.

GO PHOENIX!

From where I stood in the stadium, it looked like several of the injuries were conditioning injuries - cramps, charlie horses, etc. Those players should be good to go next Saturday.

An Elon win next week makes App's win even sweeter for the Mountaineers. Here's to a healthy Phoenix team traveling to Birmingham.

gophoenix
November 15th, 2009, 04:13 PM

SC State's win over FAMU? There is only 1 SoCon team rated worse tham Florida A&M.

How so? What resume? I'll say this again because some of you CAA fans are so dense.

UNH - Ball St, St Francis and Dartmouth -- wheres' the quality win?
Delaware - Navy, West Chester and Delaware State - where's the quality win?
Hofstra - Stony Brook, Bryant and Western Michigan - where's the quality win?
Maine - St Cloud State, Albany (lost), Syracuse - where's the quality win?
JMU - Maryland, VMI, Liberty - Liberty is a quality win.
UMass - Kansas St, Albany, Stony Brook - where's the quality win?
Northeastern - BC (lost), Youngstown (lost), Holy Cross (lost) - where's the quality win?
Rhode Island - Fordham, Brown (lost), UConn (lost)
Richmond - Duke, VMI, Georgetown - Duke's the only quality win.
Towson - Nortwestern, Coastal, Morgan St - where's the quality win?
W&M - UVa, Norfolk St, CCSU - where's the quality win?
Villanova - Temple, Lehigh, Penn

Here's the entire CAA OOC slate. You have 4 FBS wins, three of which are good wins. The rest of the games outside of Liberty and possibly Stony Brook are, well, worthless. in fact, I am wondering how UNH made it to the top ten, who have you beaten? A Ball State team that would be near the bottom of FCS. St Francis, Datmouth? And then just paper giant CAA teams. Yeah, quality there.

I am not saying the CAA isn't just as good as advertised, but how in the world you can claim Elon, or Furman, oir anyone in the SoCon has a crappy resume which you look above is beyond me. And how you claim a win over a poorly rated Florida A&M team is quality is even more beyond me. It sounds like you're trolling more than making a valid point.

gophoenix
November 15th, 2009, 04:15 PM
From where I stood in the stadium, it looked like several of the injuries were conditioning injuries - cramps, charlie horses, etc. Those players should be good to go next Saturday.

An Elon win next week makes App's win even sweeter for the Mountaineers. Here's to a healthy Phoenix team traveling to Birmingham.

I think Camp and Shuman are done. The others may be ok. Not sure yet. But Shuman came out of the locker room without pads on.

james_lawfirm
November 15th, 2009, 04:20 PM

Boy, do I not agree with your logic here! If you actually think about what you are saying, you are saying that polls taken prior to Sat., Nov. 14 are WRONG because they did not predict the future. The polls use the best information available to them at the time. That is all. It is just plain wrong to say that a poll was proved wrong solely because a football game played AFTER the poll was taken came out with the lower ranked team beating the higher ranked team.

A better way to look at it though is that the polls were accurate as far as they went. They measure PAST PERFORMANCE. Polls try to predict the future from that past performance. The team that keeps playing better and better each week is going to get UNDERESTIMATED! That is what it is.

Not to mention the fact that it seems entirely possible to me that Elon got so banged up playing App that it may very well have a problem next week & lose to Samford.

Do either of those points identified above mean that App's resume takes a hit because it had no quality win? No, it does not. But, it certainly could mean that App kicked Leon's butt yesterday.

SideLine Shooter
November 15th, 2009, 04:22 PM

Yep, so much for the Power Ratings. I think you can throw that one out the window, and or App is much better than they are given credit for.xnodx

james_lawfirm
November 15th, 2009, 04:26 PM
SC State's win over FAMU? There is only 1 SoCon team rated worse tham Florida A&M.

How so? What resume? I'll say this again because some of you CAA fans are so dense.

UNH - Ball St, St Francis and Dartmouth -- wheres' the quality win?
Delaware - Navy, West Chester and Delaware State - where's the quality win?
Hofstra - Stony Brook, Bryant and Western Michigan - where's the quality win?
Maine - St Cloud State, Albany (lost), Syracuse - where's the quality win?
JMU - Maryland, VMI, Liberty - Liberty is a quality win.
UMass - Kansas St, Albany, Stony Brook - where's the quality win?
Northeastern - BC (lost), Youngstown (lost), Holy Cross (lost) - where's the quality win?
Rhode Island - Fordham, Brown (lost), UConn (lost)
Richmond - Duke, VMI, Georgetown - Duke's the only quality win.
Towson - Nortwestern, Coastal, Morgan St - where's the quality win?
W&M - UVa, Norfolk St, CCSU - where's the quality win?
Villanova - Temple, Lehigh, Penn

Here's the entire CAA OOC slate. You have 4 FBS wins, three of which are good wins. The rest of the games outside of Liberty and possibly Stony Brook are, well, worthless. in fact, I am wondering how UNH made it to the top ten, who have you beaten? A Ball State team that would be near the bottom of FCS. St Francis, Datmouth? And then just paper giant CAA teams. Yeah, quality there.

I am not saying the CAA isn't just as good as advertised, but how in the world you can claim Elon, or Furman, oir anyone in the SoCon has a crappy resume which you look above is beyond me. And how you claim a win over a poorly rated Florida A&M team is quality is even more beyond me. It sounds like you're trolling more than making a valid point.

Excellent post, GoPhoenix. Elon needs to beat Samford to get back on track for the playoffs. I hope you all do.

SU DOG
November 15th, 2009, 04:35 PM
It sure as hell wasnt a #1 D yesterday when we ran,passed and pimped slapped them!!

I could have sworn that you picked Samford in the prediction thread. xconfusedx

BigSouthFB
November 15th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Really? I beg to differ with you.
Beat Elon by 23 and i'll eat crow.

soccerguy315
November 15th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Boy, do I not agree with your logic here! If you actually think about what you are saying, you are saying that polls taken prior to Sat., Nov. 14 are WRONG because they did not predict the future. The polls use the best information available to them at the time. That is all. It is just plain wrong to say that a poll was proved wrong solely because a football game played AFTER the poll was taken came out with the lower ranked team beating the higher ranked team.

A better way to look at it though is that the polls were accurate as far as they went. They measure PAST PERFORMANCE. Polls try to predict the future from that past performance. The team that keeps playing better and better each week is going to get UNDERESTIMATED! That is what it is.

Yes, I am saying the polls are wrong. If the polls are correct, the higher ranked teams will beat the lower ranked teams (right? if you are ranked higher than someone else, you are better than them?). If the higher ranked teams keep losing, then they did not deserve to be that high (see: 2009 JMU). As each week is played, the polls become more and more accurate, as they have a larger data sample to use.

How can you argue that the poll was correct when two teams right next to each other play, and it ends in a blowout? Obviously they should not have been so close.

SU DOG
November 15th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Beat Elon by 23 and i'll eat crow.

Believe me, I would take a 1 point win right now. Somehow I was also remembering a certain Liberty Game last year against the Blue Hose of PC.xlolx
At any rate, this argument is one that could never really be settled, and we don't want a fight between us religious zealots(assuming you are a Liberty Fan).:)

BigSouthFB
November 15th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Believe me, I would take a 1 point win right now. Somehow I was also remembering a certain Liberty Game last year against the Blue Hose of PC.xlolx
At any rate, this argument is one that could never really be settled, and we don't want a fight between us religious zealots(assuming you are a Liberty Fan).:)
haha believe me i would love for ya'll to win. and it is sad LU and Samford don't play each other.

PhoenixMan
November 15th, 2009, 06:03 PM

Riddle played poorly yesterday, although at least one of the picks wasn't his fault. Can't take a hit? The guy has never missed a game due to injury that I can recall in his college career. Your team won, no need to make ignorant comments with nothing to back them up with.xnonono2x

asknoquarter21
November 15th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Riddle played poorly yesterday, although at least one of the picks wasn't his fault. Can't take a hit? The guy has never missed a game due to injury that I can recall in his college career. Your team won, no need to make ignorant comments with nothing to back them up with.xnonono2x

I don't know if it was as much not being able to take a hit as it was trying to stay off the turf. The O-Line o Elon got manhandled yesterday. Even when they ran the ball successfully it was the RBs making great plays.

ASU had a Defense thatcame to play and FINALLY played like what we all thought they could. I am very excited because we get better every week.

Next week will be a nice look into the next 2 years of ASU footall.

AlphaSigMD
November 15th, 2009, 06:20 PM

What I really see here is a combo of things...and Elon is getting caught up in some backlash.

1. Elon lost, and people are piling on because it's Elon's first FCS loss of the year. It's worse because it was "bad", but people are making a big deal about it because the worse they make Elon look, the more they marginalize them, the SoCon and indirectly, ASU.

2. Other teams don't like ASU, especially in the playoffs. They have no particular love for the SoCon because we were the/a dominant conference for a number of years. They'll do anything to make a case against ASU getting a seed. Remember when we lost our first two games and people were coming out of the woodwork saying the ASU wouldn't make the playoffs this year. Nobody gets out of the SoCon this year without two losses...etc

3. There were select few Elon fans who made some statements that were not backed up on the field. Some posters unfortunately go after all Elon fans because of the the statements of the few...

4. Speaking of posters - the idiot that let the Elon SoCon Championship poster make it's way onto the website probably made things about 5 times worse.

Good Luck against Samford. I've got a special place in my heart for Elon...plus, they've got the best looking girls in the SoCon.

SideLine Shooter
November 15th, 2009, 07:10 PM
"I've got a special place in my heart for Elon...plus, they've got the best looking girls in the SoCon."

somebody smokin somethingxlolxxnodxxlolxxnodx

PhoenixMan
November 15th, 2009, 07:10 PM
What I really see here is a combo of things...and Elon is getting caught up in some backlash.

1. Elon lost, and people are piling on because it's Elon's first FCS loss of the year. It's worse because it was "bad", but people are making a big deal about it because the worse they make Elon look, the more they marginalize them, the SoCon and indirectly, ASU.

2. Other teams don't like ASU, especially in the playoffs. They have no particular love for the SoCon because we were the/a dominant conference for a number of years. They'll do anything to make a case against ASU getting a seed. Remember when we lost our first two games and people were coming out of the woodwork saying the ASU wouldn't make the playoffs this year. Nobody gets out of the SoCon this year without two losses...etc

3. There were select few Elon fans who made some statements that were not backed up on the field. Some posters unfortunately go after all Elon fans because of the the statements of the few...

4. Speaking of posters - the idiot that let the Elon SoCon Championship poster make it's way onto the website probably made things about 5 times worse.

Good Luck against Samford. I've got a special place in my heart for Elon...plus, they've got the best looking girls in the SoCon.

The smack talk is no problem. I surely have done more than my share of it as the game approached. My problem with the post about Riddle not being able to take a hit doesn't hold water. He is a very tough kid. And, the guy says he knew him since HS and he couldn't take a hit. He must have done OK, and took a few, since his team was the NC HS State Champions his senior year. I just hate that a number of players on both teams were banged up yesterday. I hope everyone can get healthy before next week and beyond. I hope AE's knee is OK

AlphaSigMD
November 15th, 2009, 07:18 PM
"I've got a special place in my heart for Elon...plus, they've got the best looking girls in the SoCon."

somebody smokin somethingxlolxxnodxxlolxxnodx

Hey, I'm serious. I spent a lot of time at Elon when I was dating one of the aforementioned hot girls.

The girls at ASU are no slouch either, but Elon's per capita hot girl ratio was ridiculous during the mid-2000's.

I may get some "I didn't see all that many hot girls when I was at the game" remarks, and there's a good reason for this - they weren't at the game. The only game my ex and her Sorority sisters ever attended was homecoming.

SideLine Shooter
November 15th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Hey, I'm serious. I spent a lot of time at Elon when I was dating one of the aforementioned hot girls.

The girls at ASU are no slouch either, but Elon's per capita hot girl ratio was ridiculous during the mid-2000's.

I may get some "I didn't see all that many hot girls when I was at the game" remarks, and there's a good reason for this - they weren't at the game. The only game my ex and her Sorority sisters ever attended was homecoming.

I have never been to a college football game where the hot girls didn't come out for the game, especially if they had a winning team. Yesterday the weather was beautiful, and if they have any "hot babes" I do believe they would have been at the game and not be a "no show". That is what I base it on.xnodxxnodx

james_lawfirm
November 15th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Yes, I am saying the polls are wrong. If the polls are correct, the higher ranked teams will beat the lower ranked teams (right? if you are ranked higher than someone else, you are better than them?). If the higher ranked teams keep losing, then they did not deserve to be that high (see: 2009 JMU). As each week is played, the polls become more and more accurate, as they have a larger data sample to use.

How can you argue that the poll was correct when two teams right next to each other play, and it ends in a blowout? Obviously they should not have been so close.

Soccer:
Just because a team ranked higher in week 1 loses in weeks 2 and 3 to lower ranked teams, it does not necessarily mean that they were ranked too high in week 1. Rather, the polls in weeks 2 & 3 will correct for the losses. The week 1 poll was as accurate as the poll system and setup could make it. The team could be ravaged by injuries & not be the same team as that in week 1 or the poll-votes could be voting on less than a complete picture. Anyway, my point was that the week 1 poll was correct DURING THAT WEEK. With new information, the polls change, hopefully to be a more accurate predictor of success.

So, I agree that as the regular season winds down, the polls become a more accurate predictor of success in the playoffs. But, even then, the polls are not 100% accurate - that's why we settle it on the field.

Rekdiver
November 15th, 2009, 08:28 PM
ASU's resume takes a hit???????

Whatever.........Do you want a piece of this team right now? I assure you no seeded team wants to have ASU and 7,000 road tested fans show up on their campus.

soccerguy315
November 15th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Soccer:
Just because a team ranked higher in week 1 loses in weeks 2 and 3 to lower ranked teams, it does not necessarily mean that they were ranked too high in week 1. Rather, the polls in weeks 2 & 3 will correct for the losses. The week 1 poll was as accurate as the poll system and setup could make it. The team could be ravaged by injuries & not be the same team as that in week 1 or the poll-votes could be voting on less than a complete picture. Anyway, my point was that the week 1 poll was correct DURING THAT WEEK. With new information, the polls change, hopefully to be a more accurate predictor of success.

So, I agree that as the regular season winds down, the polls become a more accurate predictor of success in the playoffs. But, even then, the polls are not 100% accurate - that's why we settle it on the field.

I agree with you mostly... each week the poll is based on the best available information. Sometimes it just turns out that the best available information isn't that good, so it is what it is. Like best available information said ASU/Elon were equal teams... xthumbsupx

AshevilleApp
November 15th, 2009, 08:46 PM
answer my question and I'll answer yours.

If you put 500 points on Penn, would you be claiming how awesome the ASU offense is?

I was pretty confident that ASU would not have trouble with Elon, b/c I thought they (Elon) were over hyped all year. Not a quality win on their resume.

Just to clarify: I would not be surprised at all if ASU won the national championship. But at this point, their resume is not one of the best 4 resumes in the country

Victim of our own past successes, which is fine I'll take that anyday....Really if you look at our schedule other than McNeese (which is a very talented squad) we did exactly what we were supposed to do. We played a decent FBS team tough without our starting QB, lost a close game to McNeese and rolled our conference with only one game (Citadel) that was tight.....The SoCon is down this year across the board I'll give you that but that should be no knock on App.

Elon Fightin' Christians
November 16th, 2009, 09:26 AM
IF we don't win we don't deserve to go to the playoffs.

It will be really interesting to see how they rspond.

ASU_MBA
November 16th, 2009, 09:43 PM
IF we don't win we don't deserve to go to the playoffs.

It will be really interesting to see how they rspond.

Any actual injury report for you guys?

gophoenix
November 17th, 2009, 05:33 AM

Nothing official yet.

The only thing was the Shuman suffered an shoulder injury and mild concussion. That's the only thing that's been published.

elon77
November 17th, 2009, 07:27 AM

There were alot of people who had their feelings hurt, does that show up on any reports?xconfusedx

Waco Kid
November 17th, 2009, 10:44 AM
People are putting way too much stock into the early losses for the Apps right now. The CAA guys have been trying so hard for years to "prove" they are the best conference that they'll use anything they can to put down ASU and the SoCon. The SoCon is down this year, but the CAA isn't all that good outside of 3 teams. All of you CAA boys are beating your chests about the FBS wins (which you should, and I was glad you got them) but you want to put ASU down for not winning the ECU game sans AE and losing to McNeese with him less than 100%.

How about some of you CAA boys play some decent OOC FCS teams the week after playing an FBS if you want to prove something. Getting up for one big game is one thing, but playing tough games in back to back weeks is another. If ASU had played a weak team instead of McNeese in week 2 they would be 9-1 and ranked in the top 5. Would we suddenly be a better team in your eyes? I think we are much better off for having lost to McNeese then we would be if we followed the normal approach in FCS. Go ahead and take the seeds... who needs them???

PhoenixPhan06
November 17th, 2009, 11:00 AM

I can vouch for the hot girl ratio. My time at Elon was the best four years of my life and much of that credit is due to the aforementioned hot girl ratio. Met my wife there and many other girls who could have been my wife.

The best gameday "selection" is always the first home game when its normally warm and homecoming. Now that SouthernFriedFootball is planning on making Elon a regular stop on their tour, be on the lookout for the 2010 edition of SouthernFriedFootball babes with a little Elon flavor.

AppAlum96
November 17th, 2009, 11:08 AM

By that logic, Wofford shouldn't have been ranked at all when they came to Boone last year.

SideLine Shooter
November 17th, 2009, 11:18 AM
People are putting way too much stock into the early losses for the Apps right now. The CAA guys have been trying so hard for years to "prove" they are the best conference that they'll use anything they can to put down ASU and the SoCon. The SoCon is down this year, but the CAA isn't all that good outside of 3 teams. All of you CAA boys are beating your chests about the FBS wins (which you should, and I was glad you got them) but you want to put ASU down for not winning the ECU game sans AE and losing to McNeese with him less than 100%.

How about some of you CAA boys play some decent OOC FCS teams the week after playing an FBS if you want to prove something. Getting up for one big game is one thing, but playing tough games in back to back weeks is another. If ASU had played a weak team instead of McNeese in week 2 they would be 9-1 and ranked in the top 5. Would we suddenly be a better team in your eyes? I think we are much better off for having lost to McNeese then we would be if we followed the normal approach in FCS. Go ahead and take the seeds... who needs them???

Excellent post. You are exactly right. Most teams pad their OOC schedule with "cupcakes" to boost their ranking. The people on the selection commitee need to take that into consideration when they sit down.

soccerguy315
November 17th, 2009, 11:38 AM

I'm sure the JMU fans would be happy to explain to you what it's like to play 3 top 5 teams back to back to back. And as a result, they are getting no love in the polls, even though those 3 top 5 teams would've beat anyone in the 16-25 range.

proasu89
November 17th, 2009, 01:03 PM
I'm sure the JMU fans would be happy to explain to you what it's like to play 3 top 5 teams back to back to back. And as a result, they are getting no love in the polls, even though those 3 top 5 teams would've beat anyone in the 16-25 range.

I can appreciate that "Bermuda Triangle" that JMU had to run through. GSU, Wofford, and FU were down this year but we play them back to back to back almost every year.