PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations to SFA

JohnStOnge
November 14th, 2009, 09:25 PM
I had my doubts about SFA. I thought Southeastern Louisiana would give them plenty of problems. But the Lumberjacks got the blowout while totally dominating. Barring an extremely unlikely loss at winless Northwestern State next week, SFA will get the Southland's automatic bid and get into the playoffs for the first time since 1995.

SDSUJacks
November 14th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Great job by the Lumberjacks this year. Go get it done next week!

lionsrking2
November 14th, 2009, 09:41 PM
I had my doubts about SFA. I thought Southeastern Louisiana would give them plenty of problems. But the Lumberjacks got the blowout while totally dominating. Barring an extremely unlikely loss at winless Northwestern State next week, SFA will get the Southland's automatic bid and get into the playoffs for the first time since 1995.

SFA kicked our ass pretty thoroughly...if they play like that the rest of the way, they could make a run for Chattanooga...easily the most physical, complete football team we've seen this year.

Our injuries finally caught up to us...Babin's shoulder was still a problem and couldn't start and Beatty couldn't hit the broadside of a barn...Babin came in and gave us a spark but couldn't throw downfield...SFA knew it and dared us to throw it over their head...other than a token run here and there, we never tried to run the ball which was baffling to me...defense actually played pretty well but they had 99 snaps and too many possessions...disappointing for sure, but we've got a lot coming back and a lot to look forward to in 2010.

BobcatTXST04
November 14th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Yes, I also want to congratulate SFA on a job well done! You guys played hard and physical every single game and really represented the SLC well! Here's hoping both you and McNeese make it to the playoffs this year! I'd love to have two teams from the SLC!

JohnStOnge
November 14th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Great job by the Lumberjacks this year. Go get it done next week!

Well, I'll be pulling for Northwestern State but I'm not real optimistic about the Demons getting their first win.

mistersykes
November 14th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Congrats to the Lumberjacks!

lionsrking2
November 14th, 2009, 10:22 PM
Well, I'll be pulling for Northwestern State but I'm not real optimistic about the Demons getting their first win.

Same here, but Mr. Ed has a better shot at the Triple Crown than NW pulling off a W against SFA...Lumberjacks were on another level today from anything we've seen...my hat's off to them - they earned my respect for sure.

LacesOut
November 14th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Congrats!

And what a great nickname for a team........Lumberjacks. Love it!

JohnStOnge
November 14th, 2009, 10:57 PM
Same here, but Mr. Ed has a better shot at the Triple Crown than NW pulling off a W against SFA...Lumberjacks were on another level today from anything we've seen...my hat's off to them - they earned my respect for sure.

Well, remember, they got blown out by Texas State and were outgained in total yardage 427 to 270 by McNeese. Nicholls State almost beat them on their home field. There's a reason why I thought Southeastern Louisiana would be a real challenge for them. Believe me, I don't think there's much chance that Northwestern State will win. But after seeing both teams I would never have expected SFA to blow Southeastern Louisiana out either.

Prominentwon
November 14th, 2009, 11:15 PM
So it it Co-Champs for SFA and McNeese if McNeese wins next week?

SFA gets the autobid for beating McNeese for losing to Texas St. whom McNeese beats?

lionsrking2
November 14th, 2009, 11:25 PM
Well, remember, they got blown out by Texas State and were outgained in total yardage 427 to 270 by McNeese. Nicholls State almost beat them on their home field. There's a reason why I thought Southeastern Louisiana would be a real challenge for them. Believe me, I don't think there's much chance that Northwestern State will win. But after seeing both teams I would never have expected SFA to blow Southeastern Louisiana out either.

I never expected it either, but they took it to another level today, and then some...make no mistake, we're banged up and played poorly, but it would have taken a GREAT football team on both sides of the ball to beat SFA on November 14, 2009...I don't care what they've done the last couple of weeks, they have the best team I've seen this year...I was doubter until now, but no more.

lionsrking2
November 14th, 2009, 11:31 PM

SFA gets the autobid for beating McNeese for losing to Texas St. whom McNeese beats?

SFA will get the autobid due to their head-to-head win over McNeese...there's still the extremely remote possibility there could be four-way tie at 5-2, but that would require SFA losing to NW, McNeese losing to UCA and both us and Texas State winning over Nicholls and Sam...I have no idea how that tie-breaker would shake out...assume it would still be SFA.

SLURoomie
November 15th, 2009, 12:12 AM
A big congrats to SFA. Impressive win today in Hammond. If the Lion's were going to lose 2 games in conference this year, it is a consolation that it is the two teams that are at the top and will "probably" share the Champion Title in the SLC. xthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupx

lionsrking2
November 15th, 2009, 12:28 AM
A big congrats to SFA. Impressive win today in Hammond. If the Lion's were going to lose 2 games in conference this year, it is a consolation that it is the two teams that are at the top and will "probably" share the Champion Title in the SLC. xthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupx

Don't count the Nicholls game in the W column just yet...we're banged up and they're beginning to hit their stride a little bit...it'll be tough gearing back up and preparing for the option on short rest...but I agree with your general point.

JohnStOnge
November 15th, 2009, 06:33 AM
Don't count the Nicholls game in the W column just yet...we're banged up and they're beginning to hit their stride a little bit...it'll be tough gearing back up and preparing for the option on short rest...but I agree with your general point.

And, against McNeese, Nicholls State looked a lot better physically than SFA did. Of course Southeastern did too. But Nicholls State did rush for 354 yards at 5.8 yards per carry against the Lumberjacks. I guess you just never know.

SFA 71
November 15th, 2009, 09:17 AM

Or you could say: Texas State doesn't get the auto-bid for losing to McNeese whom SFA beats?

Your sentence probably should just end with "SFA get the auto-bid for beating McNeese." :p

Tailbone
November 15th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Welcome to Missoula!

GeauxLions94
November 15th, 2009, 09:35 PM
SFA will get the autobid due to their head-to-head win over McNeese...there's still the extremely remote possibility there could be four-way tie at 5-2, but that would require SFA losing to NW, McNeese losing to UCA and both us and Texas State winning over Nicholls and Sam...I have no idea how that tie-breaker would shake out...assume it would still be SFA.

Yes, SFA would get the autobid in any tie-breaker situation (SFA would be 2-1 against the other three and have head to head over McNeese, Texas State and Southeastern would each be 1-2).

Only way for McNeese to get the AQ is for Northwestern to pull the upset of the century.

MR. CHICKEN
November 15th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Congrats!

NORTHERN ARIZONA.....ALSO......LUMBERJACKS.....xnodx.....BR AWK!!

LIONFAN85
November 15th, 2009, 10:57 PM
Great win for the Jacks. Really a tough lose for our guys. But you have to get to the top and get kicked in the rear to final get over the hump. We will be back and I think and hope next time we get it done. We have to look at our returners and a good coaching staff. The future looks good. But winning the River Bell this weekend would be great to go into the offseason and for some great seniors like Jeff Turner, Brian Babin, Merrick Lanaux, Chris Wilson and many more. Lets get em

crossfire07
November 15th, 2009, 11:07 PM
congrats SFA on getting the auto bid. now, get your cold weather gear together. It gets cold in Montana xnodx

lionsrking2
November 16th, 2009, 12:38 AM
And, against McNeese, Nicholls State looked a lot better physically than SFA did. Of course Southeastern did too. But Nicholls State did rush for 354 yards at 5.8 yards per carry against the Lumberjacks. I guess you just never know.

I don't put much stock in stats against option teams...some teams scheme it well and some don't...it's not really a physical battle as much as it is playing assignments.

All I know is from what I've seen of every team in the league, SFA had the best personnel we faced, especially on defense...up until yesterday, I thought Texas State gave us the most trouble as far as matchups, but SFA is at another level defensively...they can play base defense and pressure with their front four without having to blitz...they have big corners who can cover and LBs and safeties that are very active...on offense, they rolled out a 6-6, 300 lbs freshman offensive lineman from Miami that looked like an SEC/Big XII type recruit...not sure how they got him, but nobody else in the league has anybody that looks like that...and they can run the football.

Understand, I was still pretty skeptical of SFA coming into yesterday, largely based on how we played against them last year, and how they've played the last couple of weeks...but seeing them up close and personal, I don't see how they lost a game - even against SMU. Now, they'll probably lay an egg at Montana in the first round, but I wouldn't at all be surprised if they make a run, similar to what Texas State did in '05 or Sam Houston did in '04.

JohnStOnge
November 16th, 2009, 04:55 PM
All I know is from what I've seen of every team in the league, SFA had the best personnel we faced, especially on defense...up until yesterday, I thought Texas State gave us the most trouble as far as matchups, but SFA is at another level defensively....

I realize that they really dominated Southeastern and that made an impression on you, but I do think you're overrating them based on how they've looked over the season. Not that they're not good and don't deserve the conference championship. But they are not head and shoulders above and clearly the best team in the conference, as Texas State demonstrated in beating them 28-7. Their 16-13 win over McNeese wasn't exactly a dominant, clear cut, "the better team won" outcome either as the oft cited statistics in the game suggest. Another thing is that McNeese was driving in SFA territory late but fumbled the ball away.

On their "great" defense and how it might do in the playoffs. They gave up 30 points to Western Illinois in a 40-30 win. Western Illinois is now 1-9 overall and 0-7 in the Missouri Valley. 0-8 looks like a pretty done deal as they finish with South Dakota State. The Leathernecks have scored an average of 10.7 yards per game in Missouri Valley play with their maximum output being 21 against Youngstown State. The SFA defense is not "all that." It may be relatively good for the Southland, but that's not really saying much.

They've had two very dominating performances in conference play against Sam Houston State and Southeastern. Otherwise, they beat McNeese by 3 in a game in which they were dominated in terms of moving the footbal and stopping the other team, beat Central Arkansas by 3 on a field goal with 3 seconds left, beat Nicholls State by 4 on a touchdown with 2:45 left, and were (again) blown out by Texas State.

msusig
November 16th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Wanted to say both congrats on the season xcoolx and geaux to hell SFA xnonono2x.

txst80
November 16th, 2009, 05:40 PM
I realize that they really dominated Southeastern and that made an impression on you, but I do think you're overrating them based on how they've looked over the season. Not that they're not good and don't deserve the conference championship. But they are not head and shoulders above and clearly the best team in the conference, as Texas State demonstrated in beating them 28-7. Their 16-13 win over McNeese wasn't exactly a dominant, clear cut, "the better team won" outcome either as the oft cited statistics in the game suggest. Another thing is that McNeese was driving in SFA territory late but fumbled the ball away.

On their "great" defense and how it might do in the playoffs. They gave up 30 points to Western Illinois in a 40-30 win. Western Illinois is now 1-9 overall and 0-7 in the Missouri Valley. 0-8 looks like a pretty done deal as they finish with South Dakota State. The Leathernecks have scored an average of 10.7 yards per game in Missouri Valley play with their maximum output being 21 against Youngstown State. The SFA defense is not "all that." It may be relatively good for the Southland, but that's not really saying much.

They've had two very dominating performances in conference play against Sam Houston State and Southeastern. Otherwise, they beat McNeese by 3 in a game in which they were dominated in terms of moving the footbal and stopping the other team, beat Central Arkansas by 3 on a field goal with 3 seconds left, beat Nicholls State by 4 on a touchdown with 2:45 left, and were (again) blown out by Texas State.

I have to agree with John, of course the game I got to see in person was the one game they got blown out in. I think SFA has the potential to be a good team, but its gonna take a few good seasons for them to put it all together. I'm not doubting they didn't look great against Southeastern, but they probably aren't the most consistent team in the league (not an insult, God knows Tx State isn't consistent either). They have the potential next year to be good with Moses returning, but I don't think they could go through this season with only two losses if we started all over tomorrow. They maxed out their talent this year and put together about as good a season as it was possible for them to have. I'm still surprised at how good of a season they put together. I still think they are no better than the 3rd best team in the Southland though.

lionsrking2
November 16th, 2009, 11:50 PM
I have to agree with John, of course the game I got to see in person was the one game they got blown out in. I think SFA has the potential to be a good team, but its gonna take a few good seasons for them to put it all together. I'm not doubting they didn't look great against Southeastern, but they probably aren't the most consistent team in the league (not an insult, God knows Tx State isn't consistent either). They have the potential next year to be good with Moses returning, but I don't think they could go through this season with only two losses if we started all over tomorrow. They maxed out their talent this year and put together about as good a season as it was possible for them to have. I'm still surprised at how good of a season they put together. I still think they are no better than the 3rd best team in the Southland though.

We'll have to agree to disagree...I know if you ask our coaches and players who the best FCS team they've faced this year, you'll get a unanimous, quick answer, and it's SFA...and I concur.

twentythreeOh4
November 17th, 2009, 12:45 AM

I remember that '95 SFA team. They advanced to the semi-finals that year after beating an undefeated App St. team on the road. Heck of a playoff win. Then they got to go to Missoula to face the Griz and QB Dave Dickenson. Montana won 70-14 to earn their first trip to the National Championship where they beat Marshall. I still remember how excited I was after that semi-final win -- my team was playing for the championship! I was on cloud nine the whole week. Man there is nothing like the FCS playoffs!

Saluki09
November 17th, 2009, 03:40 AM
Congrats!

Whenever I hear Lumberjacks it just reminds me of Whose Line (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24JgolrDMdU)...

AxeEm
November 17th, 2009, 09:59 AM
John what about the henderson game, or was someone hurt or penalties or what? Just wondering how that you could have a hard time with a lesser division. Everytime SFA wins you get on here and tell everyone how overated they are. Bottom line is we beat you. It wasn't just you beating yourself, we won by more points. And you outgained us one on a drive right before half that was unproductive and one on a long drive that you missed a FG. So if thats beating yourself thats what we did at Texas St. With 4 min left we turned it over on downs in the redzone they get the ball and score on 3rd 34. We go for it on 4th and turn it over they threw another strike for a td. I can say we gave it to them but in all honesty they scored more points and deserved to win. We outgained them but nobody gets on here and whines about that. Get over it hope we lose every game thats fine but get over getting beat. Win this week and we can both go to the playoffs.

MSU_77
November 17th, 2009, 10:29 AM
John what about the henderson game, or was someone hurt or penalties or what? Just wondering how that you could have a hard time with a lesser division. Everytime SFA wins you get on here and tell everyone how overated they are. Bottom line is we beat you. It wasn't just you beating yourself, we won by more points. And you outgained us one on a drive right before half that was unproductive and one on a long drive that you missed a FG. So if thats beating yourself thats what we did at Texas St. With 4 min left we turned it over on downs in the redzone they get the ball and score on 3rd 34. We go for it on 4th and turn it over they threw another strike for a td. I can say we gave it to them but in all honesty they scored more points and deserved to win. We outgained them but nobody gets on here and whines about that. Get over it hope we lose every game thats fine but get over getting beat. Win this week and we can both go to the playoffs.

It is difficult for McNeese football fans, players, and administrators to accept defeat. That's at least part of the reason that the program has been successful more often than not for the past 50 years.

That being said, a win is a win, and SFA is to be congratulated for their well-deseved win over McNeese.

McNeese72
November 17th, 2009, 01:57 PM
It is difficult for McNeese football fans, players, and administrators to accept defeat. That's at least part of the reason that the program has been successful more often than not for the past 50 years.

That being said, a win is a win, and SFA is to be congratulated for their well-deseved win over McNeese.

I think you hit the nail on the head.

Congrats SFA!!!

Now go out and kick some butts in the playoffs (after playing the Demons)!!!

Doc

The Moody1
November 17th, 2009, 02:01 PM
SFA will get the Southland's automatic bid and get into the playoffs for the first time since 1995.

Thanks for bringing up bad memories. xsmiley_wix