PDA

View Full Version : Del/Navy game

UNHFan
November 14th, 2009, 08:11 PM
What happened.. can some give me a quick summary of how this played out? Reading stats Del played great... 10-16 on 3rd Downs eff wow!! Score in know way can tell the real story.

93henfan
November 14th, 2009, 08:12 PM
What happened.. can some give me a quick summary of how this played out? Reading stats Del played great... 10-16 on 3rd Downs eff wow!! Score in know way can tell the real story.

Here's the game thread: http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66113

Here's the box score: http://www.navysports.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2009-2010/navy11.html

In summary, Delaware moved the ball all day but faltered in the red zone and settled for field goals four times. That and a powerful Navy ground game were the difference. Navy is #30 in the AP (possibly top 25 by season's end) for a reason. Dem boys is good!

The Hens defense played better than I thought they would. The score is a bit deceiving as Navy scored a rub-it-in-your-face touchdown at the end when they could have taken three knees to run out the clock on first down and Delaware with no timeouts. I'm not sure why they did it. I don't believe the Hens ever pulled a similar stunt in the past to provoke them.

UNHFan
November 14th, 2009, 08:20 PM
93henfan Thanks... I agree i cant see why Navy did that this is the first Navy/Del game I have missed in a while. Cant remember a game that wasn't class all the way.

93henfan
November 14th, 2009, 08:24 PM
I think I just found the answer for why Navy went for the bush league touchdown. They're trying to get their boy the rushing TD record over Tebow. Still doesn't justify it IMHO, but it's water under the bridge now. From the Navy site:

Ricky Dobbs ran for five touchdowns, moving within one of tying the single-season NCAA record for a quarterback, and Navy defeated Delaware 35-18 on Saturday.

Dobbs leads the nation with 22 touchdowns and needs one more rushing score to tie the record held by Florida's Tim Tebow