PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Elon and Playoffs

drpnut
November 14th, 2009, 05:53 PM
First... Flaming Pigeon just laid a big egg today... No excuses, got out played, out coached, etc. Could be their one bad game... or...

Samford could give them a game next week. If Elon wins in a close game, they should go to the playoffs, but should definitely travel, either to the no. 1 seed or to Montana.

If they beat Sammy convincingly, I still would not be sure they get a home game.

I also feel that they will be one and done in the playoffs...

Trust me I'm not a hater, my wife is ELon grad and my in-laws live close to Burlington. I like the place... But this is the 3rd year in a row, 3rd in a row that they can't win the big game when it counts... My confidence in them is pretty low right now.

KiddBrewer
November 14th, 2009, 05:54 PM
i dont think they'll be one and done...

drpnut
November 14th, 2009, 05:56 PM
KiddBrewer

If they get shipped to No. 1 seed or Montanta they will be one and done... I bet you a Beacon Chili-Cheeze on that!

Aho_Old_Guy
November 14th, 2009, 05:57 PM
It's up to Elon.

I know they are disappointed but I think they have a quality squad.

I think they will 'man-up' going forward and make a little noise in the playoffs.

Skjellyfetti
November 14th, 2009, 05:58 PM
A lot of good teams look like crap when App and Armanti are playing with something to prove and at the top of their game.

Richmond '07, Delaware '07, Wofford '08, Elon '09 are all better teams than the final score indicated.

I wouldn't count the Phoenix out yet... though, they do still need to prove they can win a big game.

drpnut
November 14th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Old-Guy

History isn't on their side... I hoep they change it this year... but I"m not jumping on the wagon yet.

theasushow
November 14th, 2009, 05:59 PM
today was the first time i had seen Elon all year. All I heard all week was the defense was impossible to score on (and quite frankly the stats do show that) and the combination of Riddle, Newsome, and Hudgins was unstoppable. After hearing all that stuff I really, really expected Elon's defense to slow down, but not stop, APP. I also really expected their offense to move the ball against App's suspect defense. This made the game difficult to predict. But after watching the game it became obvious that either Elon was overrated, or they choked. The 2 non-conference wins really, really padded their defensive stats. I still think they are of playoff caliber, but today they looked like anything but.

UNH Fanboi
November 14th, 2009, 06:00 PM
KiddBrewer

If they get shipped to No. 1 seed or Montanta they will be one and done... I bet you a Beacon Chili-Cheeze on that!

Playoff matchups are regionalized. They're not gonna get shipped to Montana. They'll most likely play W&M or Richmond.

drpnut
November 14th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Fanboi

Remember '07 Woffy got sent to Montana, so it can and will happen... nuff said.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 14th, 2009, 06:02 PM
A lot of good teams look like crap when App and Armanti are playing with something to prove and at the top of their game.

Richmond '07, Delaware '07, Wofford '08, Elon '09 are all better teams than the final score indicated.

I wouldn't count the Phoenix out yet... though, they do still need to prove they can win a big game.

+1

Aho_Old_Guy
November 14th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Old-Guy

History isn't on their side... I hoep they change it this year... but I"m not jumping on the wagon yet.

Wasn't it Bum Phillips who said something like:

"We're tired of knocking on the door. Now, we're just going to kick the damn thing in."

I think Elon's ready to kick the door in. If they learned anything from Appalachian today I hope it's a little 'big game' playoff mentality.

tribe_pride
November 14th, 2009, 06:12 PM
If Liberty gets in, I think winner of the W&M-Richmond game next week gets Liberty, App. St. gets SC. St. and loser of the W&M-Richmond game gets Elon. I think the Tribe should be able to outbid Elon for a home game if we lose in that scenario but Richmond/Elon may be close.

If Liberty does not get in, I still think App. St. gets SC. St. but the winner of the W&M-Richmond game may host Elon and loser might get sent on the road for a long trip (assuming they get outbid). Although Richmond because of distance might automatically get Elon and the Tribe would get the distance team (hosting if the Tribe wins, travelling if the Tribe loses and gets outbid)

I am also assuming that winner of the W&M-Richmond game is getting a seed which is not definite. Winner will be fighting with ASU for a seed assuming VU, Montana and SIU win (which are not all givens except for SIU). By resume either W&M or Richmond would have better rights to a seed but ASU would bring the most money to the NCAA so you never know.

IaaScribe
November 14th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Elon better worry about winning next week first. They won't make it at 8-3.

UNH Fanboi
November 14th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Fanboi

Remember '07 Woffy got sent to Montana, so it can and will happen... nuff said.

I guess it is possible. I was thinking there was going to be an even number of teams in the south this year, but now that I think about it, there will most likely only be 5:

Richmond
W&M
Elon
APP
SC State

Still, I think McNeese would be more likely than Montana, but who knows. Liberty getting in would probably help y'all stay on the east coast.

3E9App
November 14th, 2009, 06:17 PM
If Elon wins next week they will have to travel in the playoffs but there is no way they would get sent to #1 or Montana. I don't see Elon getting sent to the #1 or Montana either regardless of today they are still a very good team. I could see Elon going to McNeese.

UNH Fanboi
November 14th, 2009, 06:18 PM
If Elon wins next week they will have to travel in the playoffs but there is no way they would get sent to #1 or Montana. If EWU can win next week they should make the playoffs and have to go to Montana due to the stupid way they match up teams close to each other due to travel costs. I don't see Elon getting sent to the #1 either regardless of today they are still a very good team. I could see Elon going to McNeese.

EWU can't play Montana in the 1st round cause they are in the same conference.

RationalGriz
November 14th, 2009, 06:19 PM
If Elon wins next week they will have to travel in the playoffs but there is no way they would get sent to #1 or Montana. If EWU can win next week they should make the playoffs and have to go to Montana due to the stupid way they match up teams close to each other due to travel costs. I don't see Elon getting sent to the #1 either regardless of today they are still a very good team. I could see Elon going to McNeese.

Except by rule EWU and Montana can not play in the first round.

asuboys
November 14th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Except by rule EWU and Montana can not play in the first round.

Ditto...

3E9App
November 14th, 2009, 06:22 PM
My mistake accidentally looked over that.

ElonPride
November 14th, 2009, 06:22 PM
If Elon wins next week they will have to travel in the playoffs but there is no way they would get sent to #1 or Montana. If EWU can win next week they should make the playoffs and have to go to Montana due to the stupid way they match up teams close to each other due to travel costs. IHonestly don't see Elon getting sent to the #1 either regardless of today they are still a very good team. I could see Elon going to McNeese.

This Elon team is a good team. Not exactly sure what happened today. I just hate the fact that App won another SoCon title on our field. BUT, when focused, you guys are just as good as any App team from the past.

Elon MUST win at Samford to make the playoffs. Good luck the remainder of the year and congrats on yet another title.

Honestly, I hated coming on to AGS after the loss to see all the smack by the App fans, but it's good to see there are a few that can see outside one game.

SeattleGriz
November 14th, 2009, 06:23 PM
today was the first time i had seen Elon all year. All I heard all week was the defense was impossible to score on (and quite frankly the stats do show that) and the combination of Riddle, Newsome, and Hudgins was unstoppable. After hearing all that stuff I really, really expected Elon's defense to slow down, but not stop, APP. I also really expected their offense to move the ball against App's suspect defense. This made the game difficult to predict. But after watching the game it became obvious that either Elon was overrated, or they choked. The 2 non-conference wins really, really padded their defensive stats. I still think they are of playoff caliber, but today they looked like anything but.

How is this game any different than other App games in which they quickly jump on an opponent? App won three championships with an incredible offense, mediocre defense and below average special teams.

The App offense is such rocket fuel, they force teams to become predictable and then the D becomes much better. Easy to know what a team is going to do when App leads by 3 TD's.

App is great, but what they did today is normal for them.

theasushow
November 14th, 2009, 06:29 PM
How is this game any different than other App games in which they quickly jump on an opponent? App won three championships with an incredible offense, mediocre defense and below average special teams.

The App offense is such rocket fuel, they force teams to become predictable and then the D becomes much better. Easy to know what a team is going to do when App leads by 3 TD's.

i agree, i just felt like only giving up 12 points and 208 yards per game spoke volumns about elon's defense. obviously app has a great offense, but they struggled at times last week against utc which worried me about elon.

SumItUp
November 14th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Elon has 8 wins against teams that have a combined record of 27-53 and only Chattanooga has a winning record (6-4). They shouldn't get any matchup favors in the playoffs. They may be a very good team, but they haven't beat anyone to prove it yet.

theasushow
November 14th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Elon has 8 wins against teams that have a combined record of 27-53 and only Chattanooga has a winning record (6-4). They shouldn't get any matchup favors in the playoffs. They may be a very good team, but they haven't beat anyone to prove it yet.

hence the question if they were overrated coming into today's game.

Skjellyfetti
November 14th, 2009, 06:39 PM
If Elon beats Samford... I think Elon @ SC State in the first round is likely.

Black Saturday
November 14th, 2009, 06:59 PM
If Elon wins next week they will have to travel in the playoffs but there is no way they would get sent to #1 or Montana. I don't see Elon getting sent to the #1 or Montana either regardless of today they are still a very good team. I could see Elon going to McNeese.

Elon to SCState

Bill and Mary to APP

PhoenixSupreme
November 14th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Elon to SCState

Bill and Mary to APP

I would be content with SC State. I know it would be a tough game (any game against a playoff team would be a tough game), but I would like our chances there better than against a CAA team, and I think Elon could deal with the home-field advantage that the Bulldogs would have

Tribe07
November 14th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Elon will play the loser of UR-W&M, probably on the road. The winner of UR-W&M gets a seed and Liberty in the first round (if the Flames make the field). South Carolina State will play at ASU. McNeese goes to Montana. EIU goes to SIU, VU gets Holy Cross. UNH at UNI. Stephen F. Austin at South Dakota State or vice versa.

App Attack
November 14th, 2009, 07:11 PM

I gotta admit, I love that tagline. Chuck Norris looks like a Grizzly. Good stuff. ;)

theasushow
November 14th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Elon will play the loser of UR-W&M, probably on the road. The winner of UR-W&M gets a seed and Liberty in the first round (if the Flames make the field). South Carolina State will play at ASU. McNeese goes to Montana. EIU goes to SIU, VU gets Holy Cross. UNH at UNI. Stephen F. Austin at South Dakota State or vice versa.

probably the best i have seen yet...just not sure uni would get a home game in the 1st round if they got in.

iceman4221
November 14th, 2009, 07:18 PM
I would be content with SC State. I know it would be a tough game (any game against a playoff team would be a tough game), but I would like our chances there better than against a CAA team, and I think Elon could deal with the home-field advantage that the Bulldogs would have

Know you don't really mean that... xnonox