PDA

View Full Version : (#5) William and Mary at (#4) Richmond Discussion Thread

seattlespider
November 14th, 2009, 04:06 PM
2009 Records:

William and Mary 9-1
Richmond 9-1

All-time record: 59–54–5 in favor of William & Mary.

Referred to as the South’s Oldest Rivalry, and fourth oldest rivalry; Only Lafayette–Lehigh, Princeton–Yale, and Harvard–Yale have played more games.

Formerly the I-64 Trophy, it has been renamed the Capital Cup, which honors the entire 118-game history of the rivalry between the two schools and the status of the two cities as the last two capitals of the Commonwealth of Virginia.

This is also the last ever game at UR Stadium, as Richmond will be moving to their on-campus stadium for the 2010 season.

SIGNIFIGANCE

As to the signifigance of this year's game, well it could hardly be any bigger. Aside from local bragging rights and an outside chance at the CAA title (and autobid, though both teams are surely in the playoffs), the teams are likely playing for the third or fourth seed in the playoffs. The winner will be 10-1, with no bad losses, and an FBS road win. None of the other contenders for seeds have resumes that come close, IMO.

As to the outcome, UR is at home, but this is a rivalry game and anything could happen even if the teams weren't evenly matched. I'll go UR 21, WM 20.

tandemlax
November 14th, 2009, 04:26 PM
I've only seen snippets of 2 UR games on tv this year, so I hardly feel qualified to accurately judge the matchup. Here's hoping that this year's game holds the same amount of drama as last years furious finish in Williamsburg!

Having just returned from a solid victory over UNH, I'm currently unable to separate my predictions from my hopes....W&M 16, Richmond 14

TribeGuy09
November 14th, 2009, 04:34 PM
No way W&M lets this game get away from them like what happened last year. Tribe will be out for blood, and the emotion from the win this week should translate into confidence next week. It'll be a fight to the finish, but I think W&M comes out on top, 24-20

seattlespider
November 14th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Spiders won't be lacking for motivation in this game. Last regular season game at UR stadium, Senior Day. Neither side will come out flat.

Tribe07
November 14th, 2009, 08:00 PM
This is going to be a fantastic game. Two excellent defenses. W&M 21, UR 17.

Eight Legger
November 14th, 2009, 11:15 PM
Anyone who thinks we are going to close the regular season and UR Stadium by losing two straight home game is insane. UR 27, W&M 20.

DTSpider
November 15th, 2009, 11:25 AM
This should be an outstanding game. Two rivals playing for what should be a seed in the playoffs. The teams look very similar in terms of good strong defenses and balanced offenses. Hope that the weather is nice and that we have a sellout for the last regular season game. Should be a classic.

WestCoastAggie
November 15th, 2009, 11:29 AM
The winner gets a seed! The loser will be heading to Kid Brewer.

Richmond wins a close one @ home.

BTW: There will be a potential rematch in the quarterfinals xwhistlex

Skjellyfetti
November 15th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Spidahs

soccerguy315
November 15th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Some stats...

- Richmond averaging 32 points per game on offense, and 361 yards/game... 164 on the ground, 197 through the air
- W&M averaging 28 points per game on offense, and 379 yards/game... 178 on the ground, 201 through the air

Richmond Offense: #41 total, #13 scoring, #30 rushing, #58 passing
W&M Offense: #26 total, #32 scoring, #22 rushing, #52 passing

- Richmond defense averaging 15.4 points per game, 273 yards/game... 203 through the air (5.93 per attempt), 71 on the ground (2.4 per carry)
- W&M defense averaging 13.9 points per game, 236 yards/game... 177 through the air (6.04 yards per attempt), 59 on the ground (1.9 yards per carry)

Richmond Defense: #13 total, #9 scoring, #3 rushing, #74 passing
W&M Defense: #4 total, #6 scoring, #1 rushing, #37 passing

Keenan
November 15th, 2009, 12:35 PM
W&M is playing better football. xnodx

W&M 28
Richmond 17

4th and What?
November 15th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Been saying all year Richmond would lose to Villanova and W&M, not gonna change my tune now.

Though I also said UMass had a chance against Richmond after they took down Delaware, and that just seems silly at this point in the season..... xwhistlex

tandemlax
November 15th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Been saying all year Richmond would lose to Villanova and W&M, not gonna change my tune now.

Though I also said UMass had a chance against Richmond after they took down Delaware, and that just seems silly at this point in the season..... xwhistlex

I assume you're referring to UMass' win over UNH, as they were crushed by Delaware. Hardly matters though- I hope you're right on this weekend's game!

NovaHater
November 15th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Having seen both, if there is any team I wouldn't want to play again it would be William & Mary. I thought they were the most well balanced team on both sides of the ball, especially on Offense. Special teams advantage would also have to go to the tribe.

If any CAA team makes it to Chatty, I give W&M the nod provided they can start the playoffs with a home game.

W&M 20 Richmond 14

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 15th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Some stats...

- Richmond averaging 32 points per game on offense, and 361 yards/game... 164 on the ground, 197 through the air
- W&M averaging 28 points per game on offense, and 379 yards/game... 178 on the ground, 201 through the air

Richmond Offense: #41 total, #13 scoring, #30 rushing, #58 passing
W&M Offense: #26 total, #32 scoring, #22 rushing, #52 passing

- Richmond defense averaging 15.4 points per game, 273 yards/game... 203 through the air (5.93 per attempt), 71 on the ground (2.4 per carry)
- W&M defense averaging 13.9 points per game, 236 yards/game... 177 through the air (6.04 yards per attempt), 59 on the ground (1.9 yards per carry)

Richmond Defense: #13 total, #9 scoring, #3 rushing, #74 passing
W&M Defense: #4 total, #6 scoring, #1 rushing, #37 passing

Here's my conclusion: Duke has a better offense than UVA.

soccerguy315
November 15th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Here's my conclusion: Duke has a better offense than UVA.

very possible. Teams are very close statistically... both teams could have some trouble moving the ball this week. Whoever can figure out the other guys' defense is going to win. Easier said than done... I expect both defenses will be coming to play.

bullseye44
November 15th, 2009, 06:01 PM

While I agree that the loser is probably headed to App State, its a little disappointing to think that a 9-2 CAA squad with an FBS road win and 2 losses to top 4 teams (both on the road if W&M is the loser) is automatically on the road against a 9-2 SoCon squad with an FBS loss and FCS loss to a top 10/15 team.

If only they'd seed all 16 teams again...xeyebrowx

bullseye44
November 15th, 2009, 06:07 PM
One interesting stat on W&M is that we've outscored opponents 62-7 in the third quarter this year. When we can keep it close in the first half, our defensive adjustments have been pretty much perfect all year. The one exception being our one loss to Villanova.

Its no secret that Jimmye has played close to the vest all season and let the defense set up the offense. He won't want to give away anything for the playoffs, but here's to hoping he let's loose a little bit to get a lead early, so the defense can shut them down in the second half.

SpidersSportsEditor
November 15th, 2009, 06:59 PM
I think this is going to be a great game, but I think Richmond wins. I know the W&M run defense is very very good, but Richmond is more of a passing team this season than in the past. Even though Forte is leading the CAA in rushing, Eric Ward will be the difference in this game. Kevin Grayson has also been quiet this year, and I expect Ward to look for him from the start. Senior Day, last game at UR Stadium, seed in the playoffs at stake, I like the home team.

My biggest fear/concern is that the kicking game let's us down again. All of the snaps were perfect this week, but we were playing Georgetown and there was no pressure, and Howard still missed a field goal. If the game comes down to Howard's leg like it did last year, the Tribe are in great shape.

Rekdiver
November 15th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Gentlemen, your stats mean nothing....Just ask Elon....Richmond has been here before and I just can't take Bill and Mary seriously...........

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 15th, 2009, 08:39 PM
I'm giving the nod to the Spiders in a close one but this one could go either way.

To be honest I haven't been sold on the Tribe until lately. The D will make it close but I think Ward gets in done down the stretch.

soccerguy315
November 15th, 2009, 08:39 PM
poll is currently 34-34

seattlespider
November 15th, 2009, 09:21 PM
poll is currently 34-34

I suspect it won't get more than +/- 3 or 4 either way.

YoUDeeMan
November 15th, 2009, 11:34 PM
Should be a great game.

Unlike Elon, both of these CAA team belong on the field with each other.

I think W&M is the better team overall, but Ward is a special player and is hard to beat.

W&M front four is a good one, but UR's O-line is experienced and Ward (there's that name again) can make plays with his feet when things break down.

I'll go with Richmond. But I reserve the right to think about it and change my mind later this week...maybe even after Saturday's game. :p

JMU DUUUKES LAW
November 16th, 2009, 12:38 AM
UR fans are making it sound like the home crowd is such a huge advantage there .... am i missing something ?

paward
November 16th, 2009, 04:57 AM
UR fans are making it sound like the home crowd is such a huge advantage there .... am i missing something ?

You are missing what you have missed all season. Fan support does not equal numbers it equals who is there to cheer the team on or blast them for every thing under the sun and looking for the mistakes to post. This game is big and the numbers will be also. W&M vs Spiders are always good numbers. Our fan base is in tact, How is the dukies base going this year?

MacThor
November 16th, 2009, 06:29 AM

Give one example in this thread. xrolleyesx

Bogus Megapardus
November 16th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Spiders won't be lacking for motivation in this game. Last regular season game at UR stadium, Senior Day. Neither side will come out flat.

The new facility will be on-campus, correct?

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 16th, 2009, 07:36 AM

Yeah, where are the posts suggesting this?

MacThor
November 16th, 2009, 07:50 AM
The new facility will be on-campus, correct?

Correct. (http://www.richmondspiders.com/facilities/rich-facilities-soccer-track.html)

tribe_pride
November 16th, 2009, 08:08 AM
And as a sidenote, Richmond at W&M on Thursday at 7 p.m. in basketball.

It's I-64 week.

WMTribe90
November 16th, 2009, 09:35 AM
It's Richmonds home field, but I expect 4-6,000 WM fans will be in attendance, including about 1,000 or so students.

MacThor
November 16th, 2009, 09:41 AM
If the W&M team from last year's first half shows up, they don't stand a chance.
If the Richmond team from last year's second half shows up, they don't stand a chance.

Saluki09
November 16th, 2009, 09:53 AM
If the W&M team from last year's first half shows up, they don't stand a chance.
If the Richmond team from last year's second half shows up, they don't stand a chance.

What if they both show up?

MacThor
November 16th, 2009, 10:47 AM
What if they both show up?

Overtime again, of course :)

Ivytalk
November 16th, 2009, 11:25 AM
William & Mary. It's about time!xnodx

WMTribe90
November 16th, 2009, 11:36 AM

New year, new teams. Gonna be close from start to finish IMO.

Eight Legger
November 16th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Yes, we will have a home field advantage for this game, just as we did with 12,000 UR fans in attendance for the Villanova game. This is the biggest game of our season, and we'll have more fans there. It's also our home field. I think that constitutes a home field advantage.

soccerguy315
November 16th, 2009, 03:33 PM

I am 100% that W&M team will not be showing up this weekend.

I can't speak for the Spider team.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 16th, 2009, 03:35 PM
I am 100% that W&M team will not be showing up this weekend.

I can't speak for the Spider team.

C'mon. Speak for us too. You know you want to.

soccerguy315
November 16th, 2009, 03:41 PM
C'mon. Speak for us too. You know you want to.

ok... I am 99% sure that the 2008 UR team from the 2nd half of the WM will not be appearing at the stadium.

This game should be excellent...

Last year was kind of a game of futility (not that it wasn't interesting and intense in its own way, lol), but this year the game should be a much higher level. xthumbsupx

BDKJMU
November 16th, 2009, 03:52 PM

SC State in Orangeburg SC is much closer to Boone than either UR or W&M.

Mapquest:
Boone to Orangeburg: 229 miles
Boone to Richmond: 316 miles
Boone to Williamsburg: 358 miles

Unless EWU loses @ NAU and Montana St doesn't upset Montana and the Big Sky only gets one in, Liberty isn't getting in. In that case:

ASU will likely be paired with SC State (who's clinched the MEAC) in the 1st round.
Elon will be @ the UR/W&M winner

The W&M/UR loser will likely be getting on a plane...

jmufan999
November 16th, 2009, 04:04 PM
i usually root for the spiders.... um, ok as CAA teams go, i root for them.

not this time. UNDERDOGS, BABY!!! go get 'em, tribe. or celery, or whatever the hell you're called now.

W&M 17
UR 16

BDKJMU
November 16th, 2009, 04:07 PM
You are missing what you have missed all season. Fan support does not equal numbers it equals who is there to cheer the team on or blast them for every thing under the sun and looking for the mistakes to post. This game is big and the numbers will be also. W&M vs Spiders are always good numbers. Our fan base is in tact, How is the dukies base going this year?

Very well for a 5-5 team. Maine (at the time JMU was 3-5 and Maine was 4-4) was a listed 15,303 just short of a 15.5k sellout, but maybe around 3k empty seats, 12-13k butts in seats

Even though its the last game before the demolition begins at Bridgeforth I expect a little less than Maine for 2-8 Towson as the students will be on T-giving break (JMU now gets a whole week) but certainly more than 10k butts in seats.

Even though its UR's last game at the city stadium if you were 5-5 and W&M was 2-8 with your students on break you're attendance would suck...

19Duke97
November 16th, 2009, 04:21 PM
While I agree that the loser is probably headed to App State, its a little disappointing to think that a 9-2 CAA squad with an FBS road win and 2 losses to top 4 teams (both on the road if W&M is the loser) is automatically on the road against a 9-2 SoCon squad with an FBS loss and FCS loss to a top 10/15 team.

If only they'd seed all 16 teams again...xeyebrowx

Welcome to our world

Tribe07
November 16th, 2009, 04:39 PM
SC State in Orangeburg SC is much closer to Boone than either UR or W&M.

Mapquest:
Boone to Orangeburg: 229 miles
Boone to Richmond: 316 miles
Boone to Williamsburg: 358 miles

Unless EWU loses @ NAU and Montana St doesn't upset Montana and the Big Sky only gets one in, Liberty isn't getting in. In that case:

ASU will likely be paired with SC State (who's clinched the MEAC) in the 1st round.
Elon will be @ the UR/W&M winner

The W&M/UR loser will likely be getting on a plane...

I suspect you are correct, and I really hope so. As much as I relish a W&M/UR-ASU showdown, I would rather it not occur in the first round in Boone.

MacThor
November 16th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Even though its UR's last game at the city stadium if you were 5-5 and W&M was 2-8 with your students on break you're attendance would suck...

But we're not, and neither are they, and they won't be, so ours (ou'res?) won't.

Looking for something to do Thanksgiving weekend? Watch both of your in-state rivals in the playoffs.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 16th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Welcome to our world

Wasn't JMU 8-3 when you went down there and lost on the Sullivan fumble ... and not 9-2?

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 16th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Very well for a 5-5 team. Maine (at the time JMU was 3-5 and Maine was 4-4) was a listed 15,303 just short of a 15.5k sellout, but maybe around 3k empty seats, 12-13k butts in seats

Even though its the last game before the demolition begins at Bridgeforth I expect a little less than Maine for 2-8 Towson as the students will be on T-giving break (JMU now gets a whole week) but certainly more than 10k butts in seats.

You folks are obsessed with attendance! Your season is over, has been for a month. Why don't you get some threads about recruiting going? They could be interesting.

Here's a conversation starter ... UR has 3 verbals from kids that also got offers from JMU. How did this happen?

BDKJMU
November 16th, 2009, 04:47 PM
I think this is going to be a great game, but I think Richmond wins. I know the W&M run defense is very very good, but Richmond is more of a passing team this season than in the past. Even though Forte is leading the CAA in rushing, Eric Ward will be the difference in this game. Kevin Grayson has also been quiet this year, and I expect Ward to look for him from the start. Senior Day, last game at UR Stadium, seed in the playoffs at stake, I like the home team.

My biggest fear/concern is that the kicking game let's us down again. All of the snaps were perfect this week, but we were playing Georgetown and there was no pressure, and Howard still missed a field goal. If the game comes down to Howard's leg like it did last year, the Tribe are in great shape.

Forte isn't leading the CAA in rushing. Grimes is. Not sure where you got that from....

That being said, you do have the top 2 backs in rushing yards in this game, with Grimes avg 92.2 yds per game, 4.9 a carry, and Forte avg 87.1, 5.1 a carry. (When was the last time the leading rusher in the CAA was under 100 yards a game? I can't ever remember. A lot of good backs in the CAA, but no great ones).

W&M has the #1 rushing defense in the CAA, and UR is #2. Both backs will likely be held well under their avg.

BDKJMU
November 16th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Here's how they stack up statistically in the CAA:

When UR has the ball:
#4 total offense (361.1) vs the #1 total defense (236.3)
#4 rush offense (164.2) vs the #1 rush defense (59.2)
#8 pass offense (196.9) vs the #4 pass defense (177.1)
#3 pass efficiency vs the #7 pass defense efficiency
#1 in sacks allowed (12) vs the #1 in sacks by (35)
#2 in time of possession (33:05)

When W&M has the ball:
#1 total offense (378.7) vs the #2 total defense (273.4)
#2 rushing offense (177.9) vs the #2 rushing defense (70.7)
#7 pass offense (200.8) vs the #9 pass defense (202.7)
#6 pass efficiency vs the #3 pass defense efficiency
#3 in sacks allowed (16) vs the #6 (4 way tie) in sacks by (18)
#1 in time of possession (33:19)

W&M is #4 in TO margin at +8. UR is #5 at +7.

Special teams kicking game W&M is better:
W&M 18 for 27 FG vs UR 7-12.
W&M is #1 in net punt (36.7). UR is #9 (31.6)

UR is a little better in the return game:
UR #1 in punt return avg (12.3). W&M 3rd (8.8).
UR #10 (tied) in kick return avg (17.9) W&M dead last (14.7)

http://www.nmnathletics.com/fls/8500/Stats/FB/2009/confldrs.htm

After seeing both teams in person and on TV, I'm thinking W&M by a field goal, say 20-17.

BDKJMU
November 16th, 2009, 04:57 PM
But we're not, and neither are they, and they won't be, so ours (ou'res?) won't.

Looking for something to do Thanksgiving weekend? Watch both of your in-state rivals in the playoffs.

Been 4 times in the last 6 seasons, just like UR has. Can't go every year in the CAA....JMU will be playing on T-day weekend next yr when UR will be sitting at home...

MacThor
November 16th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Forte isn't leading the CAA in rushing. Grimes is. Not sure where you got that from...

Probably an honest mistake - Forte was the CAA's leading rusher before last week's games. Grimes went off for 136 while Forte watched his backups for most of the game (still got 76 in very limited action).

MacThor
November 16th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Been 4 times in the last 6 seasons, just like UR has. Can't go every year in the CAA....JMU will be playing on T-day weekend next yr when UR will be sitting at home...

Perhaps...

But they won't be crapping in threads about other teams' games with the same tired old digs about attendance.

WMTribe90
November 16th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Forte isn't leading the CAA in rushing. Grimes is. Not sure where you got that from....

That being said, you do have the top 2 backs in rushing yards in this game, with Grimes avg 92.2 yds per game, 4.9 a carry, and Forte avg 87.1, 5.1 a carry. (When was the last time the leading rusher in the CAA was under 100 yards a game? I can't ever remember. A lot of good backs in the CAA, but no great ones).

W&M has the #1 rushing defense in the CAA, and UR is #2. Both backs will likely be held well under their avg.

Grimes is a great back. He would easily average 100 yardsa game if he didn't share carries with Marriner, who deserves his roughly 7-8 touches a game and averages over 5 a carry.

We actually go three deep at RB and the third back Riggins is no slouch and receives 2-3 carries a game. Combined they are averaging roughly 150 yards a game. If getting Grimes over a 100 yards a game was our objective, he would be there easily.

Grimes is the workhorse, but has big play capability. Marriner is speed. Riggins is the quick hitter/short yardage back. In combination, they are the best backfield in the CAA.

Tubby Raymond
November 16th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Having seen both of these teams play live and on TV, I believe The Tribe to be the more consistent performer.

BDKJMU
November 16th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Grimes is a great back. He would easily average 100 yardsa game if he didn't share carries with Marriner, who deserves his roughly 7-8 touches a game and averages over 5 a carry.

We actually go three deep at RB and the third back Riggins is no slouch and receives 2-3 carries a game. Combined they are averaging roughly 150 yards a game. If getting Grimes over a 100 yards a game was our objective, he would be there easily.

Grimes is the workhorse, but has big play capability. Marriner is speed. Riggins is the quick hitter/short yardage back. In combination, they are the best backfield in the CAA.

Grimes is really good. He look GREAT against JMU. Only a sophmore, he might be a considered a "great" back by the time he leaves W&M. When I'm talking great I'm talking along the lines of Cuff, Hightower, Azumah, Shipp, Keaton, Baylark. Guys who had 1700-2500+ yds in a season or 4k+ to 6k+ yards in a career.

As far as the best backfield in the CAA, that might be Nova. They avg 217 yards a game rushing, 4.9 a carry to W&M's 178 yards a game, 4.3 a carry.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 16th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Perhaps...

But they won't be crapping in threads about other teams' games with the same tired old digs about attendance.

I couldn't have said it better myself! xthumbsupx

BDKJMU
November 16th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Perhaps...

I couldn't have said it better myself! xthumbsupx

I wasn't the one who brough it up- it was one of your fellow UR posters who gave a little dig at JMU's attendance:

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 16th, 2009, 09:38 PM
I wasn't the one who brough it up- it was one of your fellow UR posters who gave a little dig at JMU's attendance:

Did you bother to read the post she was responding to?

ViennaSpider
November 16th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Hopefully, Eric Ward and his receiving corps will carry the Spiders to victory on Saturday. Unfortunately, if it comes down to UR having to make a field goal, even from close range, things could get dicey. The field goal/extra point unit is the only chink in the armor of a very solid Richmond football team. UR, 21-14.

BDKJMU
November 16th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Did you bother to read the post she was responding to?

Yep.

SpiderJPO
November 16th, 2009, 11:00 PM
It amazes me how little respect UR gets as defending National Champions with 16 returning starters that went through the battles in the playoffs last year at ASU and UNI along with dismantling Montana in the final. It seems only the ASU fans in general appreciate our football team as objective fans. All will see soon enough what this team is all about. Lets not forget this year we are 9 and 1 with our only loss to the #2 in the nation when we had three interceptions, two missed FG's and two missed extra points and still only lost by one point. We will start earning our respect one game at a time just like last year starting this weekend.

soccerguy315
November 16th, 2009, 11:10 PM
no one is disrespecting the Spiders... you guys were ranked #1 all year. Now you are ranked #4 because you lost. You could definitely make a repeat run.

My personal opinion is that 1-6 are all pretty even this year.

Green26
November 16th, 2009, 11:20 PM
It amazes me how little respect UR gets as defending National Champions with 16 returning starters that went through the battles in the playoffs last year at ASU and UNI along with dismantling Montana in the final. It seems only the ASU fans in general appreciate our football team as objective fans. All will see soon enough what this team is all about. Lets not forget this year we are 9 and 1 with our only loss to the #2 in the nation when we had three interceptions, two missed FG's and two missed extra points and still only lost by one point. We will start earning our respect one game at a time just like last year starting this weekend.

I agree with you that Richmond should have gotten, and be getting more respect. I brought this up at the time of the pre-season polls, when posters were on the AGU bandwagon.

However, you lose credibility with me, when you focus too much on last year, make turnover excuses (jeez, that's what the game is about), and say that Richmond "dismantled" Montana. You didn't dismantle UM; you beat them soundly, especially in the first half. Look at the stats; they were generally even except for the score. Richmond was the better team that night and deserved to win, but get a grip on what really occurred in the game before spouting BS like that.

PhoenixSupreme
November 16th, 2009, 11:57 PM
I'm buying my ticket tomorrow. I couldn't make it to the App/Elon game this past Saturday, but this would be a great alternative. Trying to decide who's colors to wear though...

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 17th, 2009, 02:01 AM
Wear PURPLE Phoenix!! :D

Honestly, show up in Elon attire. You are quite possibly scouting your 1st round opponent, assuming you take care of Samford, which will be no easy task.

As for this game, my gut says W&M. Having watched both teams, it seems that W&M has some sort of hunger and fight to it. UR is a great team, but I think at this particular moment the players of W&M will want it more.

Everything could get turned upside down again like last year (3rd place in CAA South wins NC), but as for this game, I like the Tribe by a FG. Special teams will be the difference.

One last comment. You know how we JMU fans can't stay away from an attendance argument. :p I have a feeling there will be a lot of Green & Gold in the stands. Richmond has many alumni from all VA schools, of which UR is probably the least in numbers (not a dig, just the simple numbers). It won't be the biannual Purple Wave you experience from JMU, but it will be enough to somewhat neutralize home field advantage.

ENJOY WHAT IS SURE TO BE A CLASSIC!! xpeacex

spdram
November 17th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Wear PURPLE Phoenix!! :D

Honestly, show up in Elon attire. You are quite possibly scouting your 1st round opponent, assuming you take care of Samford, which will be no easy task.

As for this game, my gut says W&M. Having watched both teams, it seems that W&M has some sort of hunger and fight to it. UR is a great team, but I think at this particular moment the players of W&M will want it more.

Everything could get turned upside down again like last year (3rd place in CAA South wins NC), but as for this game, I like the Tribe by a FG. Special teams will be the difference.

One last comment. You know how we JMU fans can't stay away from an attendance argument. :p I have a feeling there will be a lot of Green & Gold in the stands. Richmond has many alumni from all VA schools, of which UR is probably the least in numbers (not a dig, just the simple numbers). It won't be the biannual Purple Wave you experience from JMU, but it will be enough to somewhat neutralize home field advantage.

ENJOY WHAT IS SURE TO BE A CLASSIC!! xpeacex

Some posters don't understand the drive and dedication of this group of Spiders. Was at the basketball game last night and spoke to several players they said they have heard the trash talk by the Tribe faithful and the Spiders will be ready for the Tribe. The Tribe better be ready for the Spiders!

19Duke97
November 17th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Wasn't JMU 8-3 when you went down there and lost on the Sullivan fumble ... and not 9-2?

You missed the point - we were an excellent team sent to ASU, as will be either W&M or UR if they get sent to Boone, which I hope does not happen. I believe the previous year we were 9-2 and sent to YSU..... and lost another heart breaker.

GOODY26
November 17th, 2009, 09:03 AM
I like the Tribe in this match up W&M........28 Richmond.......24xnodx

bostonspider
November 17th, 2009, 09:34 AM
You missed the point - we were an excellent team sent to ASU, as will be either W&M or UR if they get sent to Boone, which I hope does not happen. I believe the previous year we were 9-2 and sent to YSU..... and lost another heart breaker.

Well I think that the W&M / UR winner will host Elon, but I am not sure the loser goes to ASU. I think ASU might get matched up with SCSU again, as they are pretty close to each other. If UR loses to W&M, I think they will bid high enough for a home game. Not sure about W&M.

soccerguy315
November 17th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Some posters don't understand the drive and dedication of this group of Spiders. Was at the basketball game last night and spoke to several players they said they have heard the trash talk by the Tribe faithful and the Spiders will be ready for the Tribe. The Tribe better be ready for the Spiders!

why are the spiders reading the message boards?

Skjellyfetti
November 17th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Just got tickets for this game! East side F row CCC. If you see a shaggy haired guy with App State gear say hello!

Tribe4SF
November 17th, 2009, 12:34 PM

Lacking any smilies, this may be the funniest post I've ever read on AGS.

tribe_pride
November 17th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Well I think that the W&M / UR winner will host Elon, but I am not sure the loser goes to ASU. I think ASU might get matched up with SCSU again, as they are pretty close to each other. If UR loses to W&M, I think they will bid high enough for a home game. Not sure about W&M.

Not saying you are not right but Richmond has about 8,700 average attendance. What makes you think it'll outbid teams from out west that are consistently over 10,000 in attendance figures. (Not saying the Tribe will outbid either - I have the same concern even though the Tribe averages 1,500 more per game than Richmond)

bostonspider
November 17th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Well after this game, UR's average attendance will like be over 10K as well. But Richmond has had a history of overbidding in the first round to ensure a home game. With a stadium size of 22K, Richmond can overbid and then lose some money on the game.

19Duke97
November 17th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Not saying you are not right but Richmond has about 8,700 average attendance. What makes you think it'll outbid teams from out west that are consistently over 10,000 in attendance figures. (Not saying the Tribe will outbid either - I have the same concern even though the Tribe averages 1,500 more per game than Richmond)

UR = $$$$$ look at ther endowment, they can afford an extra 10 or 20k over a public school, well at least JMU who has a pathetic endowment :(

tribe_pride
November 17th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Well after this game, UR's average attendance will like be over 10K as well. But Richmond has had a history of overbidding in the first round to ensure a home game. With a stadium size of 22K, Richmond can overbid and then lose some money on the game.

UR = $$$$$ look at ther endowment, they can afford an extra 10 or 20k over a public school, well at least JMU who has a pathetic endowment :(

Thanks guys. W&M's endowment is nothing to write home about either.

Agreed this weekend will bring avg attendance up.

Tribe4SF
November 17th, 2009, 01:42 PM
W&M's endowment may not be where we'd like it to be, but it is about 20 times JMU's endowment.

MacThor
November 17th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Yes, we are very well endowed.

PhoenixSupreme
November 17th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Just got tickets for this game! East side F row CCC. If you see a shaggy haired guy with App State gear say hello!

Likewise, if you see a guy with glasses wearing an Elon hat in East C row FF, say "hey"

paward
November 17th, 2009, 03:36 PM
I do look forward to meeting both of you, especially you Jelly.

paward
November 17th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Yes, we are very well endowed.

Ok, Mac "never mind, I will leave that statement alone."

Maybe not, it depends on who you ask!

iceman4221
November 17th, 2009, 11:52 PM

xnodx My sentiments exactly... xnodx

Tribe07
November 18th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Any guesses on attendance? This may set the record for a home UR football game in recent years.

SpidersSportsEditor
November 18th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Any guesses on attendance? This may set the record for a home UR football game in recent years.

Yea, Villanova was the biggest crowd we have had in a while, but they didn't travel as well as W&M will. If the game were at 3:30, I would say close to a sell out, but since the students at UR are still pretty apathetic (not as bad, but still not die hards) I think some of them will have a tough time getting out of bed and over to the stadium by noon. And, whatever the attendance is, the UR Stadium people will announce something lower, because they never seem to get the attendance figures right.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 18th, 2009, 11:12 AM
My guess is it will be right around the amount we had for JMU last year.

MacThor
November 18th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Yea, Villanova was the biggest crowd we have had in a while, but they didn't travel as well as W&M will. If the game were at 3:30, I would say close to a sell out, but since the students at UR are still pretty apathetic (not as bad, but still not die hards) I think some of them will have a tough time getting out of bed and over to the stadium by noon. And, whatever the attendance is, the UR Stadium people will announce something lower, because they never seem to get the attendance figures right.

xeekx Thank goodness for these boards - I thought the game was at 3:30. I would have showed up for tailgating, and they'd be at halftime!

Sheesh I'm supposed to work until 1. <cough cough> I think I'm coming down with something.

bostonspider
November 18th, 2009, 12:00 PM
From the estimates I have heard the ticket office was guessing early in the week anywhere from 16.5K to 18.5K for this game.

kdinva
November 18th, 2009, 02:00 PM

I was at the VMI game..........I spoke with someone who attended both VMI and VU games.........he said, in his estimation, the VMI game had approx. 1,000 more than the VU game, but the SID(?) "disagreed".

Anyway, with all that is going on, what is at stake, I do hope for a crowd of 17K+ there. These two squads deserve that.

StonewallSpider
November 18th, 2009, 03:14 PM
xeekx Thank goodness for these boards - I thought the game was at 3:30. I would have showed up for tailgating, and they'd be at halftime!

Sheesh I'm supposed to work until 1. <cough cough> I think I'm coming down with something.

Does anybody know why this game is at 12:00?

bostonspider
November 18th, 2009, 03:20 PM
I would think it was for TV reasons

soccerguy315
November 18th, 2009, 03:55 PM
I assume for TV as well...

W&M's homecoming game was moved to 12 for TV. It would definitely be ideal for it to be later, but it is what it is.

tribe_pride
November 18th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Does anybody know why this game is at 12:00?

What do you mean? I thought it was a 3:30 game. I mean 7:30 p.m. game xsmiley_wix

DTSpider
November 18th, 2009, 07:05 PM

Students do not count in attendance figures. They don't pay admission for the games. Same for player comps, etc. Free tickets don't count at UR.

Tribe07
November 18th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Why don't students count in attendance figures? That is nuts. At William & Mary there is someone there with a counter counting the students as they come in.

Hoyadestroya85
November 18th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Why don't students count in attendance figures? That is nuts. At William & Mary there is someone there with a counter counting the students as they come in.

They have that at Villanova too.. but I don't think they count the students at all

Hoyadestroya85
November 18th, 2009, 08:19 PM
If Villanova takes care of Business, the fact that this game is even played will work wonders for them

Tribe4SF
November 18th, 2009, 09:55 PM
As it should be...poll at this hour is 65 all!

bostonspider
November 18th, 2009, 11:13 PM
The definitely count the students, as the school mentioned that there were 1,651 students at the Villanova game, which is a ton of students, when you consider UR has only 2,800 total... But they may not count them in the official attendance (paid attendance) numbers that are released.

ViennaSpider
November 19th, 2009, 12:14 PM
I've been a UR fan for more years than I want to admit and this is the first time that I've ever bought tickets in advance for a game at City Stadium. Huge crowd on Saturday.

Stonewall D
November 19th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Everyone anticipates a great game between UR and W&M.
W&M could win because its homecoming queen was a transvestite, UR should win because it still has a mascot.
Score: UR 31- W&M 20, because Richmond's Stonewall Defense rules the day.

On another note, I think that New Hampshire travels to Montana in the first round and comes away a winner. UNH will not be affected by the cold weather in Montana and Montana's dirty play does not affect New Hampshire.

tribe_pride
November 19th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Everyone anticipates a great game between UR and W&M.
W&M could win because its homecoming queen was a transvestite, UR should win because it still has a mascot.
Score: UR 31- W&M 20, because Richmond's Stonewall Defense rules the day.

On another note, I think that New Hampshire travels to Montana in the first round and comes away a winner. UNH will not be affected by the cold weather in Montana and Montana's dirty play does not affect New Hampshire.

Strong first post - making enemies with a couple of different teams already.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 19th, 2009, 12:53 PM

You're right. Stonewall, you got anything on JMU, App State or Elon and we can just get them all out of the way early? xbowx

Tribe
November 19th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Hey all. This is my first W&M/Richmond game, as my nephew goes to William and Mary. I got into FCS football this year and love it. This should be a tremendous game between two very strong teams. I give the Spiders the slightest of edges but this game will probably be decided by a play or two either way.

I have a question for Tribe fans. Other than the school's official site, is there any web sites I can go to that talk either about Tribe sports or FCS football in general? I haven't had any luck finding anything. Thanks for the help.

tribe_pride
November 19th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Hey all. This is my first W&M/Richmond game, as my nephew goes to William and Mary. I got into FCS football this year and love it. This should be a tremendous game between two very strong teams. I give the Spiders the slightest of edges but this game will probably be decided by a play or two either way.

I have a question for Tribe fans. Other than the school's official site, is there any web sites I can go to that talk either about Tribe sports or FCS football in general? I haven't had any luck finding anything. Thanks for the help.

http://boards.caazone.com/

This has boards for each of the full member CAA teams plus a separate football board that is not used often and then CAA and Other Stuff boards as well.

Not all CAA fans use caazone as their primary site (Delaware for example - gohens.net I think) but Tribe fans do.

elkmcc
November 19th, 2009, 02:30 PM
I agree with you that Richmond should have gotten, and be getting more respect. I brought this up at the time of the pre-season polls, when posters were on the AGU bandwagon.

However, you lose credibility with me, when you focus too much on last year, make turnover excuses (jeez, that's what the game is about), and say that Richmond "dismantled" Montana. You didn't dismantle UM; you beat them soundly, especially in the first half. Look at the stats; they were generally even except for the score. Richmond was the better team that night and deserved to win, but get a grip on what really occurred in the game before spouting BS like that.

Richmond got a break by taking advantage of a wounded Griz. If the Spiders had played the Griz a week earlier it would have been a different outcome. Pay backs are a coming CAA.

wideright82
November 19th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Richmond got a break by taking advantage of a wounded Griz. If the Spiders had played the Griz a week earlier it would have been a different outcome. Pay backs are a coming CAA.

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

wideright82
November 19th, 2009, 02:45 PM

I think he said the same things to Villanova before that game. xlolx

Tribe
November 19th, 2009, 02:47 PM
http://boards.caazone.com/

This has boards for each of the full member CAA teams plus a separate football board that is not used often and then CAA and Other Stuff boards as well.

Not all CAA fans use caazone as their primary site (Delaware for example - gohens.net I think) but Tribe fans do.

Thanks a lot for the help. I appreciate it.

seattlespider
November 19th, 2009, 05:14 PM

Whatever you say pal. xrolleyesx

TribeGuy09
November 19th, 2009, 06:04 PM
I suspect it won't get more than +/- 3 or 4 either way.

Advantage Tribe...[I'll leave W&M posters to fill in this word]

CAAisBOSS
November 19th, 2009, 07:51 PM

awww did you have to play 2 CAA teams in a row?! that must be so hard! we cant even imagine! xbawlingx

tandemlax
November 19th, 2009, 08:26 PM
W&M takes the warm up on the hardwood 78-71. Let's make it a sweep on Saturday!

kdinva
November 19th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Surprising but excellent win for W&M tonite......Richmond is a legit top-4 in the A-10......yet only 2,100 bothered to watch it........what's up with that?

soccerguy315
November 19th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Surprising but excellent win for W&M tonite......Richmond is a legit top-4 in the A-10......yet only 2,100 bothered to watch it........what's up with that?

00-01: 11-17 (7-9)
01-02: 10-19 (7-11)
02-03: 12-16 (7-11)
03-04: 7-21 (4-14)
04-05: 8-21 (3-15)
05-06: 8-20 (3-15)
06-07: 15-15 (8-10)
07-08: 17-16 (10-8)
08-09: 10-20 (5-13)

... that's what is up with WM hoops.

StonewallSpider
November 19th, 2009, 09:56 PM

don't like to pile on, but the griz played a banged up jmu

tandemlax
November 19th, 2009, 10:23 PM

Very little excitement around the basketball program right now. Below average team + generally apathetic student body = empty house. And the emptiness is only exacerbated by a building that seats about 5,000 too many. The fullest you'll see the arena is when ODU caravans up 64- and then usually more than half the crowd is in blue.

StonewallSpider
November 19th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Very little excitement around the basketball program right now. Below average team + generally apathetic student body = empty house. And the emptiness is only exacerbated by a building that seats about 5,000 too many. The fullest you'll see the arena is when ODU caravans up 64- and then usually more than half the crowd is in blue.

fullest I saw was graduation when Jon Stewart spoke and when I came down to see Wilco

tandemlax
November 19th, 2009, 10:41 PM
fullest I saw was graduation when Jon Stewart spoke and when I came down to see Wilco

xlolxHaha... so true. Speaking of that, there hasn't been a major Kaplan concert in a few years too. Not much action for that building.

100%GRIZ
November 19th, 2009, 11:05 PM
Has anyone figured out what Network this game is on if any? Checked my regional networks and have not been able to find it as of yet!!!

Geaux25
November 20th, 2009, 12:52 AM
Most of the time, I usually just check my Blackberry late at night to get caught up on all the big-time FCS scores from around the country, but...

I plan to have this one on the gametracker.

Should be a good one. Here's to a solid contest where both teams come out healthy and ready for their respective playoff runs.

If I had to pick, I'd go with Richmond (just because of the mascot though) xsmiley_wix

MacThor
November 20th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Has anyone figured out what Network this game is on if any? Checked my regional networks and have not been able to find it as of yet!!!

It is on the "Comcast Network" which was once CN8. It's generally only available to Comcast subscribers (booooo). I know FIOS doesn't carry it here in Richmond.

It's odd that the game on CSN-Mid-Atlantic is Maine-UNH. There is a CSN-New England, you know. I guess they're just not going to broadcast multiple FCS games by region, like they would for other sports. After all, the one crew they have for CAA football apparently was so bored by the CAA game-of-the-year-so-far that they cursed and whined about wanting to go home on the air!

MacThor
November 20th, 2009, 08:24 AM

Wow, that's a really bad loss for a Richmond team that expects to contend for a tourney bid.

tribe_pride
November 20th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Wow, that's a really bad loss for a Richmond team that expects to contend for a tourney bid.

To be fair, the Tribe only lost to UConn by 9 (fair representation of how that game went since we were down by 4 or 5 with 6 minutes to go). The Tribe also lost in triple OT to Harvard (bad loss - 2 days later lost the adreneline) The good Tribe team must have shown up yesterday. Shooting 45% from 3 point land should lead to a win.

Back to football - Let's go Tribe sweep the weekend series.

LBPop
November 20th, 2009, 01:21 PM
I saw Richmond play at Georgetown last week. And that means very little.
I saw W&M play Towson last season. And that means absolutely nothing.
So given the above two facts, I consider myself fully qualified to make a prediction...but I won't. I will, however offer one observation. I know that Spider fans are very worried about their kicker--after all, he's likely why Richmond is not undefeated. So I paid close attention to him last Saturday.

The young man has a live leg. The ball jumps off his foot and it gets into the air quickly. The problem is that from my vantage point last week he seemed to have a pronounced hook that is worsened by the angle of the ball in flight. So I will say that he could easily lose a game from 30 yards (I think he has already done that), but he could also win one from 50+ yards.

I wish I could attend this one, but I will be at Georgetown bidding farewell to a group of fine young men who will finish their careers with fewer victories in four years than either W&M or Richmond are likely to win this season. They deserve better and if you ask the Richmond players I think they will tell you that those Hoyas did not give up last Saturday.

DFW HOYA
November 20th, 2009, 02:01 PM
I wish I could attend this one, but I will be at Georgetown bidding farewell to a group of fine young men who will finish their careers with fewer victories in four years than either W&M or Richmond are likely to win this season. They deserve better and if you ask the Richmond players I think they will tell you that those Hoyas did not give up last Saturday.

Agreed. (And W&M wins the other game by a field goal.)

Sader87
November 20th, 2009, 02:29 PM
To be fair, the Tribe only lost to UConn by 9 (fair representation of how that game went since we were down by 4 or 5 with 6 minutes to go). The Tribe also lost in triple OT to Harvard (bad loss - 2 days later lost the adreneline) The good Tribe team must have shown up yesterday. Shooting 45% from 3 point land should lead to a win.

Back to football - Let's go Tribe sweep the weekend series.

I like Richmond in a close one....home field being the difference.

Harvard projects to be pretty strong (for a low mid-major) in hoop this year btw.

Wildcat80
November 20th, 2009, 04:16 PM
i guess i gotta go with richmond since we played wm and contrary to popular opinion they barely won....therefore i assume richmond is better. do not really care.....and no way they both can lose?

Tribe07
November 20th, 2009, 05:07 PM
i guess i gotta go with richmond since we played wm and contrary to popular opinion they barely won....therefore i assume richmond is better. do not really care.....and no way they both can lose?

Contrary to public opinion? No one disputes that was a close one. 20-17 final with the game-winning field goal kicked with 2 mins to go? Fantastic game. College football at its best.

CDT_Wilson
November 20th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Do you think the game will sell out? I just arrived at Fort Lee which is 20 mins from Richmond and I am hoping to go to the game.

spdram
November 20th, 2009, 07:23 PM
We're expecting a huge crowd but the old stadium is oversized, there should be tickets available. On site ticket windows open at 10:30. Try to get there early so there will not be a parking issue. They do tow if you park illegallly.

CDT_Wilson
November 20th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the info. I am kind of excited to see this game. I will be the guy in the purple Northern Iowa hoodie. I hope the Richmond fans are as hospitable as the UNI fans were to them last year. Good luck to both teams. Hope we see you in the playoffs.... again with a different result of course. ;)

DTSpider
November 20th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the info. I am kind of excited to see this game. I will be the guy in the purple Northern Iowa hoodie. I hope the Richmond fans are as hospitable as the UNI fans were to them last year. Good luck to both teams. Hope we see you in the playoffs.... again with a different result of course. ;)

Definitely a warm welcome should be in store. Should be no problem getting a ticket. Last sell-out was in 1986 when we hosted Virginia Tech. Saturday afternoon is also high school playoffs for all the richmond area schools - which will hurt the turnout by the casual fan.

Hopefully we can get a big crowd though. Currently being estimated around 17,000 (at least that was the word on the radio today).

StonewallSpider
November 20th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Do you think the game will sell out? I just arrived at Fort Lee which is 20 mins from Richmond and I am hoping to go to the game.

if the stadium lots are full i would check out the byrd park parking behind cary elementary school on sheppard and grant and the decks on cary street, but i don't think you can tailgate there

Tribe07
November 20th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Root for the Tribe CDT

StonewallSpider
November 21st, 2009, 03:03 PM
ANDREW HOWARD

he's my boy

PhoenixSupreme
November 21st, 2009, 03:13 PM
An amazing game, I say...certainly one of the best I've seen. Richmond's kicker Howard definitely defied expectations after going 1-3 in FGs (including missing a 28-yarder), before he kicked the game-winning 47-yarder. Neither team, in my opinion, seemed to establish momentum in the entire game, but it was due more to the other team making the big stops preventing the momentum swing rather than the first team not capitalizing on what was given to them. When the final minutes were winding down, I honestly could not get a feel for who was gaining the advantage and momentum....UR and W&M were just that even, in my opinion

spdram
November 21st, 2009, 04:14 PM
CDT, I hope you made it to the game and enjoyed your time there. Looks likely to be a game at the same stadium next Saturday, come on back if you're still in town.

SpidersSportsEditor
November 21st, 2009, 05:16 PM
Looks like the poll got this one wrong. Unbelievable game, both teams played well enough to win. The Spiders needed this to prove themselves with a win against a very good team. Defenses like these are going to be tough to beat come playoff time. W&M D-line was impressive, but Ward managed the game well enough to earn the MVP. I still have my serious serious doubts about Howard, but I can only hope that kick will be the one he needed to get back on track.

PhoenixSupreme
November 21st, 2009, 05:27 PM
Looks like the poll got this one wrong. Unbelievable game, both teams played well enough to win. The Spiders needed this to prove themselves with a win against a very good team. Defenses like these are going to be tough to beat come playoff time. W&M D-line was impressive, but Ward managed the game well enough to earn the MVP. I still have my serious serious doubts about Howard, but I can only hope that kick will be the one he needed to get back on track.

I was at the game and from what I saw, Richmond's O-line needs to improve their blocking. I didn't count, but Ward got sacked like 7 times in the game, including some on back-to-back plays

SpidersSportsEditor
November 21st, 2009, 05:31 PM
I was at the game and from what I saw, Richmond's O-line needs to improve their blocking. I didn't count, but Ward got sacked like 7 times in the game, including some on back-to-back plays

Richmond's offensive line is very good, but W&M's defensive line is very very good. I'm sure they aren't worried about the sacks, and the O-line is still one of our strengths come playoff time.

seattlespider
November 21st, 2009, 05:40 PM
Here is video of the GW kick:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5u8To-Z_yI

bullseye44
November 21st, 2009, 05:43 PM
It will be interesting to see how the polls treat this L for W&M. You'd expect that the #5 team would lose by about a FG playing the #4 team on the road. Great game by both defenses, with a missed opportunity or two for each offense. Fingers crossed that we don't find ourselves in Boone next weekend. I think we "earned" a home game in round 1 before we hopefully get a chance to come back to UR Stadium in round 2 and close it down the right way - with a Tribe victory!

seattlespider
November 21st, 2009, 05:45 PM
It will be interesting to see how the polls treat this L for W&M. You'd expect that the #5 team would lose by about a FG playing the #4 team on the road. Great game by both defenses, with a missed opportunity or two for each defense. Fingers crossed that we don't find ourselves in Boone next weekend. I think we "earned" a home game in round 1 before we hopefully get a chance to come back to UR Stadium in round 2 and close it down the right way - with a Tribe victory!

I don't think W&M will be dropping very far at all.

LacesOut
November 21st, 2009, 06:01 PM
Very good game. Got exciting in the second half.

Congrats Spidahs!

ItsyBitsySpider
November 21st, 2009, 06:20 PM
W&M has the defense to give App fits. Don't think you have to worry about that in round 1 though.

DTSpider
November 21st, 2009, 06:22 PM

I don't really agree. W&M seemed to blitz on just about every play. The difference was that Ward is an "avoid mistakes" type of quarterback. He holds the ball a little long sometimes...but he doesn't throw the rushed pass either. The receivers just didn't seem to get enough separation on the hot read for Ward to be able to get the ball off. I think I'd attribute most of the sacks to just great defense by the Tribe.

I must say it was a great game. We were in the endzone the whole game and had an up close viewpoint on the last play.

DTSpider
November 21st, 2009, 06:24 PM
On a side note - that has to be about the worst attendance reporting ever. Given that the capacity is almost 22,000, and from my end zone seating, it looked almost full everywhere. Home stands were packed. Road stands were mostly full and there were people standing everywhere. Can't believe that it was only 17,500 of attendance. Certainly looked like it was close to full to me.

ItsyBitsySpider
November 21st, 2009, 06:26 PM
Our students counted in attendance?

ItsyBitsySpider
November 21st, 2009, 06:26 PM
Or for our english speaking friends ...are students counted in attendance?

MacThor
November 21st, 2009, 06:27 PM
Great game. The W&M fans were fantastic and good sports. Not sure the kick "fixed" Howard; remember, he beat W&M in OT last year and still had the yips in the playoffs.

There are no pushovers in the playoffs; unfortunately for W&M, unless they made a stellar bid I think they'll be on the road, possibly to SC St or even App St.

I saw something I've never seen in 20 years of UR football games - a really good postgame tailgate. Even some of the players came out afterward and joined the fun. If you think about it, this might (fittingly) have been our biggest home win ever. Our big wins last year were all on the road, and our prior two BIG home games were devastating losses, so no postgame celebrating.

PhoenixSupreme
November 21st, 2009, 06:29 PM
I don't really agree. W&M seemed to blitz on just about every play. The difference was that Ward is an "avoid mistakes" type of quarterback. He holds the ball a little long sometimes...but he doesn't throw the rushed pass either. The receivers just didn't seem to get enough separation on the hot read for Ward to be able to get the ball off. I think I'd attribute most of the sacks to just great defense by the Tribe.

I must say it was a great game. We were in the endzone the whole game and had an up close viewpoint on the last play.

I, being a Elon and SoCon follower, am not really up to par as to how good the UR O-line is and how good the W&M D-line is, so maybe what I was saying about the O-line needing to improve their blocking isn't all true. But I will agree with you that Ward tended to hold on to the ball too long instead of throwing it away at times. I also did notice that W&M were running a lot of blitzing plays and plays to stop the run....whenever Richmond was in the I-formation they either had no rushing gain or lost yardage. In my opinion, UR should have opened the field up a bit more with some streaks but hey, a win is a win regardless of how it's done.

This was a great game, and I hope that Elon gets to meet Richmond next Saturday

ItsyBitsySpider
November 21st, 2009, 06:32 PM
Richmond O is at its best when Ward is outside the pocket. Not nearly enough rollouts with run-pass option. He was a sitting duck in the pocket but this game typified how valuable he is .. he just finds ways to make a play when we have to have it. It's sad that his college career is winding down because he is such a great leader and winner.

DTSpider
November 21st, 2009, 06:33 PM
Or for our english speaking friends ...are students counted in attendance?

No - students don't buy tickets for games - so they don't count in attendance.

UR also does not count any tickets that are not paid in full (player comps, group tickets, etc.).

I know why the attendance is low...but it's annoying as I'm pretty sure that UR is one of the very few schools that counts this way. I'm guessing it'll change when we move next year. Very convenient that we changed methods while trying to get the new stadium approved.

MacThor
November 21st, 2009, 06:45 PM
Did anyone else notice that they didn't play "The Final Countdown" before the kick? :)

tandemlax
November 21st, 2009, 06:47 PM
Great crowd today at U of R Stadium for one heck of a game. Both defenses solidified their places among the very best in the FCS, but the spiders were able to capitalize on their late pick while the tribe offense sputtered when given their opportunity.

While the loss was heartbreaking, I think W&M will await their opponent tomorrow afternoon with a measure of confidence, feeling they have a great shot to beat whomever they might be pitted against

bullseye44
November 21st, 2009, 06:51 PM
CAA Commissioner's projections for CAA first round games:

Holy Cross at Villanova
Elon at Richmond
Eastern Illinois at W&M
UNH at "someone west of the Mississippi"

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-spt_wmnotz_1122nov22,0,325400.story

Anyone heard the scoop on Jay Colley? Sad to hear that the voice of the Tribe's first missed game in 28 years was such a good one.

MacThor
November 21st, 2009, 06:56 PM
CAA Commissioner's projections for CAA first round games:

Holy Cross at Villanova
Elon at Richmond
Eastern Illinois at W&M
UNH at "someone west of the Mississippi"

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-spt_wmnotz_1122nov22,0,325400.story

Anyone heard the scoop on Jay Colley? Sad to hear that the voice of the Tribe's first missed game in 28 years was such a good one.

Why on earth would they send the lowest ranked team in the field to W&M, when there is an in-state seed?

T-Dog
November 21st, 2009, 07:00 PM
Why on earth would they send the lowest ranked team in the field to W&M, when there is an in-state seed?

It won't happen. EIU is staying in state.

As much as it scares me, I must say welcome to Boone for the Tribe.

bullseye44
November 21st, 2009, 07:04 PM

No clue - just sharing the info. I'd gladly let UR take care of EIU and bring Elon to Williamsburg to not travel to Boone.

MacThor
November 21st, 2009, 07:12 PM
No clue - just sharing the info. I'd gladly let UR take care of EIU and bring Elon to Williamsburg to not travel to Boone.

We won't get EIU either - they'll go to SIU. I think you're headed for Boone or Orangeburg.

Ivytalk
November 21st, 2009, 07:15 PM
How many of the Richmond fans were still there at the end?xwhistlex

bullseye44
November 21st, 2009, 07:20 PM
We won't get EIU either - they'll go to SIU. I think you're headed for Boone or Orangeburg.

Sad that the #5 team has to face 3 road games to get to Chattanooga, but I guess them's the breaks. Hopefully we can make a 2004 JMU type run to the title.

spdram
November 21st, 2009, 07:28 PM
Hat's off to the Tribe, great game today. I knew your D and particularly the line was good but I did not believe it was that good. I pity the team that gets matched up with you in the first round.

MacThor
November 21st, 2009, 07:31 PM
Sad that the #5 team has to face 3 road games to get to Chattanooga, but I guess them's the breaks. Hopefully we can make a 2004 JMU type run to the title.

Agreed. But the only way to guarantee yourself a home game is top 4. There are just no "gimme" games this year.

I think the CAA commish made his statement because unseeded Richmond hosted the OVC champ the past two years.

You may very well get a home game, but I just have a feeling SC St and ASU stepped up their bids. I'd love to see your defense against App St.'s offense.

soccerguy315
November 21st, 2009, 08:58 PM
great game today... great atmosphere...

congrats UR. Maybe we will meet again in December. If you want, we will trade you the W in bball for a W in football, haha.

WestCoastAggie
November 21st, 2009, 09:26 PM
Well we all now know who's playing in Kidd Brewer next week.

spdram
November 21st, 2009, 09:32 PM
I think the bids were made about a month ago, does anyone know for sure when they were placed?

BDKJMU
November 21st, 2009, 10:13 PM
Great game. The W&M fans were fantastic and good sports. Not sure the kick "fixed" Howard; remember, he beat W&M in OT last year and still had the yips in the playoffs.

There are no pushovers in the playoffs; unfortunately for W&M, unless they made a stellar bid I think they'll be on the road, possibly to SC St or even App St.

I saw something I've never seen in 20 years of UR football games - a really good postgame tailgate. Even some of the players came out afterward and joined the fun. If you think about it, this might (fittingly) have been our biggest home win ever. Our big wins last year were all on the road, and our prior two BIG home games were devastating losses, so no postgame celebrating.

W&M won't be able to play ASU or SCSU when they'll be playing each other.

BDKJMU
November 21st, 2009, 10:15 PM

Nope , Boone is ALOT closer to Orangeburg than Williamsburg. ASU & SCSu will be paired up.

BDKJMU
November 21st, 2009, 10:16 PM
It won't happen. EIU is staying in state.

As much as it scares me, I must say welcome to Boone for the Tribe.

Nope. Its gonna be welcome SCSU to Boone.

MacThor
November 21st, 2009, 10:19 PM
So the committee is just going to scrap the rules and rematch UNH and W&M?

Skjellyfetti
November 21st, 2009, 10:21 PM

SCSU will be hosting. xnodx

Bettina90
November 21st, 2009, 10:22 PM
Dear Committee,

please give Richmond the 4 seed, opposite SIU's #1, and put W&M and Nova on the other side. Thanks in advance.

Bettina90.

WestCoastAggie
November 21st, 2009, 10:23 PM
So will the Mountaineers. ESPN is "scrambling" right now to get both first round games on TV. One at Kidd Brewer and the other at Oliver C. Dawson.

Skjellyfetti
November 21st, 2009, 10:24 PM
By they way, I enjoyed the game today. Exciting matchup... two very good defenses. It was hard to gauge the offenses since both d-lines dominated the whole game. Richmond fans were very into the game and William and Mary brought a lot of folks. The Richmond cheerleader guy doing cheers into the PA was a little annoying, though. ;)

ViennaSpider
November 21st, 2009, 10:25 PM
I don't envy the team playing the Tribe next week. Glad it won't be the Spiders.

WestCoastAggie
November 21st, 2009, 10:32 PM
Does anyone believe that Richmond and Bill & Mary will be in the same part of the bracket? That would be one hell of a quarterfinal match-up, wouldn't it?

MacThor
November 21st, 2009, 10:38 PM
Does anyone believe that Richmond and Bill & Mary will be in the same part of the bracket? That would be one hell of a quarterfinal match-up, wouldn't it?

It would. I think if the committee can help it, they will avoid Elon-App St. and/or UR-W&M rematches in the 2nd round. I think UNH winds up in Richmond's quarter. W&M-Nova in the second round would be a helluva game too.

DTSpider
November 21st, 2009, 11:31 PM
So will the Mountaineers. ESPN is "scrambling" right now to get both first round games on TV. One at Kidd Brewer and the other at Oliver C. Dawson.

It'll be interesting to see who ends up on TV. The UR folks seem to think that UR will be hosting Elon and get picked up for the ESPN game. Apparently London will be interviewed during the telecast tomorrow and they'll announce that it'll be on one of the ESPN networks (I assume the U).

Of course - If W&M does go to Boone as suggested on the boards...I certainly would want to see that one on TV!

seattlespider
November 22nd, 2009, 03:33 AM
Here are some photos. 17,500 in attendance my a$$!

http://www.richmondspiders.com/view.gal?id=58729

bostonspider
November 23rd, 2009, 11:59 PM
A few pics from the game, what a great crowd from both schools.

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs086.snc3/15332_183748765757_506630757_2875052_6605358_n.jpg

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs106.snc3/15332_183747510757_506630757_2875021_946481_n.jpg

BDKJMU
November 24th, 2009, 03:36 AM

So the committee is just going to scrap the rules and rematch UNH and W&M?

Nope, they were going to match up W&M with a team out west

BDKJMU
November 24th, 2009, 03:37 AM

Wrong.