PDA

View Full Version : Who do you think is the best team in the FCS?

TheTribeHasSpoken
November 13th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Not the team with the best resume, not the team that deserves to be #1 - All things equal, put them in a tournament on neutral fields, who ya got?

GannonFan
November 13th, 2009, 01:33 PM
I'm sticking with Richmond. They're going to win more than the lose better than any other team out there, IMO. If I had to stake everything on one team winning, I'd feel most comfortable with them.

WrenFGun
November 13th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Villanova, though my vote will change to UNH if they beat W&M.

They've played one of the most challenging schedules, they have just 1 loss to a team on homecoming that is quite good, they beat a team that had won 17 in a row ON The ROAD and they have a lot of talent everywhere. Doesn't hurt that their resume is best right now, too.

I don't see why you would *ignore* resume when evaluating who is "best." Measuring teams against the best competition is the best way to glean who the best team is. Beating cupcakes all season (ahem App, Elon) doesn't put you in the discussion.

DOME
November 13th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Other...

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 13th, 2009, 01:46 PM
I went with my team. I felt that Villanova was better than Richmond, going into last week's game, but feel different now.

Ward came out rusty in the 1st half from his flu and we still had a handful of chances to put the game away late (despite our Special Teams failures).

I am confident that London will get our Specials straightened out and hope we get another chance at the Wildcats.

soccerguy315
November 13th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Other...

who?

GrizFanStuckInUtah
November 13th, 2009, 01:57 PM
I can restate this poll a little better:

Whose team that comes here is somewhere in the top 5? Please vote for your team. xnodx:D

soccerguy315
November 13th, 2009, 01:57 PM
I voted for Villanova...

but obviously Nova and Richmond are very close.

WrenFGun
November 13th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Other...

...Northern Iowa homer, I'd guess.

Skjellyfetti
November 13th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Why isn't Southern Illinois getting much love? I think they look the best atm.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 13th, 2009, 02:07 PM
I can restate this poll a little better:

Whose team that comes here is somewhere in the top 5? Please vote for your team. xnodx:D

It actually looks like several people voted for teams other than their own already. I think I may be the only homer so far.

Aren't there only two Villanova fans here? They lead the vote.

PhoenixMan
November 13th, 2009, 02:23 PM
I'll let you know tomorrow after Elon/App. But, I did voter for Elon already.....homer

MacThor
November 13th, 2009, 02:31 PM
I went with my team. I felt that Villanova was better than Richmond, going into last week's game, but feel different now.

Ward came out rusty in the 1st half from his flu and we still had a handful of chances to put the game away late (despite our Special Teams failures).

I am confident that London will get our Specials straightened out and hope we get another chance at the Wildcats.

I wish I shared your confidence. That was game NINE, and it's worse than it was in game one! The clock management and prevent D late in each half is another cause for concern.

That said, Villanova looked very beatable on Saturday. Like you, I thought they were better than UR prior to the game. Now I don't.

elon77
November 13th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Who voted for Liberty? xconfusedx

Dukie95
November 13th, 2009, 02:32 PM
I think I may be the only homer so far.

Well, someone voted Liberty. Not a knock on Liberty, but really? The best team?

HiHiYikas
November 13th, 2009, 02:40 PM
I'll say Montana...why not?

SoCalAg
November 13th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Villanova just beat the undefeated, defending champions. They got my vote. Montana should be on the list, just can't give them my vote after last Saturday. Liberty's inclusion here is funny. I was torn with 'Nova and SIU and went with Nova because of last weekend. Playoffs '09 are going to be something else though...lots of lteams with legit shots at a title

BlackNGold
November 13th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Who voted for Liberty? xconfusedx

Agreed, Why is Liberty even on the list

UNH Fanboi
November 13th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Nobody has really stood out to me yet this year and with so little OOC play, you really don't know how the top teams from different conferences stack up against each other. ASU-Elon, W&M-UNH, and W&M-Richmond should tell us a lot about the top dogs in those conferences, but I'm not at all confident predicting how games like SIU-Montana would go.

TheTribeHasSpoken
November 13th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Liberty's inclusion was a joke.

I've got Nova right now for the record.

jlcharles
November 13th, 2009, 03:20 PM
I went with the homer vote, but I really think we can beat anyone anywhere.

NovaWildcat
November 13th, 2009, 03:27 PM
I think we're the best team. Montana can't be after last weekend's debacle. SIU lost to a suspect Marshall team. Our loss is 'better' than that.

Saluki09
November 13th, 2009, 03:37 PM
I think we're the best team. Montana can't be after last weekend's debacle. SIU lost to a suspect Marshall team. Our loss is 'better' than that.

If we were to play the game now, we probably beat Marshall. Even despite that though I still voted Villanova as the best. @Temple, @Richmond, and vs. W&M is more impressive than @UNI and @SDSU currently.

WestCoastAggie
November 13th, 2009, 03:44 PM
**RUNS IN** SC STATE FOR THE WIN! **RUNS OUT**

Mikeyosef
November 13th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Went with the homer pick. But that really depends on which team shows up. I think at our best, no one beats App State this year. My hope is that we are at our best the rest of the season but for now I'll settle for us playing our best tomorrow afternoon!!!

Grrrrriz
November 13th, 2009, 04:50 PM

Everyone said we weren't very good last year after a DII took us to the wire, then look what happened. As well, your loss is not better than SIU's, thats just straight delusional. No way Marshall would have lost to UMASS. I voted SIU #1, if I had to pick 2.3.4. it would probably be Richmond #2, (only lost due to an uncharacteristic field goal miss, and I don't think Villanova can't beat them twice, ala Montana-Weber last year) Montana #3, then Villanova. #4. I would say they are all pretty closely bunched though.

Hoyadestroya85
November 13th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Everyone said we weren't very good last year after a DII took us to the wire, then look what happened. As well, your loss is not better than SIU's, thats just straight delusional. No way Marshall would have lost to UMASS. I voted SIU #1, if I had to pick 2.3.4. it would probably be Richmond #2, (only lost due to an uncharacteristic field goal miss, and I don't think Villanova can't beat them twice, ala Montana-Weber last year) Montana #3, then Villanova. #4. I would say they are all pretty closely bunched though.

xconfusedxxconfusedxxconfusedx I don't understand.. Villanova beats them on Richmond's home field (they let Richmond back in that game) and you don't think it could happen again??? IMO, we're equipped to beat any team given the right circumstances. We have Probably the best team speed offense and defense combined of anyone.

Hoyadestroya85
November 13th, 2009, 05:04 PM
FTR, I took the homer vote.. but there aren't enough Villanova people to make up for that.. Even if you did add all of us up, and we all voted for Villanova.. there would still be about 25 or 26 votes for Villanova.

Grrrrriz
November 13th, 2009, 05:14 PM
xconfusedxxconfusedxxconfusedx I don't understand.. Villanova beats them on Richmond's home field (they let Richmond back in that game) and you don't think it could happen again??? IMO, we're equipped to beat any team given the right circumstances. We have Probably the best team speed offense and defense combined of anyone.

What I am saying is that when you have two teams at the top of the FCS its not likely that you will beat them twice, had Richmond beat you guys in such a close game in the regular season, I would give Villanova the edge in the second meeting. You guys are equipped to beat any team given the right circumstances, but so is every team in the top 10. Except maybe SCSU. I haven't seen enough of them to make a judgement. I watched the game, and I think your statement of letting Richmond back in the game is maybe a little bit of homerism, as to me it looked like the fought their way back, and drove down the field at the end of the game with a pretty effective drive that got them in a position to win. I am not discounting your win, or your team, I am just saying if you guys play again chances are Richmond will win. In all actuality, we will probably get to find out which one of us is right pretty soon.

UNHFootballAlum
November 13th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Seems to be a lot of homerism on this thread, especially for App St. Until this weekend, they have not played a top 10 team. McNeese was a top 20 team when you played them. At this point, I'd have to go with SIU or Nova

SO ILLmatic
November 13th, 2009, 05:49 PM

Besides the win over the Dawgs, the Thundering have won 4 other games while losing four. They should become bowl eligible because I predict they'll win at least one against their remaining schedule: SMU, So Miss, UTEP.

I'd say the eastsides of both the MAC & CUSA are mediocre to decent at best. I'd probably put Temple and Marshall on the same footing. If you look at it this way though you have to give the edge to Nova because they beat Temple, whereas the Salukis came close but didn't pull it out in the end.

paward
November 13th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Some of the teams listed are real close. Villanova is impressive as well as my team. I voted for Appalachian State (Not Appy, hate that short cut). I think they are peaking at the right time. If Elon wins tomorrow then switch my vote out for them.

ASU_Fanatic
November 13th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Im goin with App st. Best offense by far in the country. When playing their best, no defense in the fcs can stop them.

BULLDOG8180
November 13th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Appy is the only team with an Armanti, they are the best.

SDSUJacks
November 13th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Hard choice, but Southern Illinois has been solid so far, and I think they match up well with anyone.

ericsaid
November 13th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Seems to be a lot of homerism on this thread, especially for App St. Until this weekend, they have not played a top 10 team. McNeese was a top 20 team when you played them. At this point, I'd have to go with SIU or Nova

They also scored 17 points in one quarter against a team who held VT to 16 in a game.

UNHFan
November 13th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Great poll!! Dead on!!

Aho_Old_Guy
November 13th, 2009, 08:14 PM
I went with Richmond --- in spite of all those stupid 'Got Spiders?' billboards that have popped up around here.

The loss takes a lot of pressure off them moving forward to the playoffs ...

UNHFootballAlum
November 13th, 2009, 08:22 PM
They also scored 17 points in one quarter against a team who held VT to 16 in a game.

Did you win that game?

LacesOut
November 13th, 2009, 09:12 PM
'Nova!

ngineer
November 13th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Actually, Lehigh is the best team in FCS. We just haven't learned how to win....;)

Sorry. Couldn't help myself. The above post was meant to torque up a few spotted pussies who have gotten their shorts all twisted up over a 2-7 football team a week and a half before kickoff...:D

skinny_uncle
November 13th, 2009, 10:20 PM
I voted for my Salukis.
I know.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h13/skinny_uncle/homer-01.gif

BDKJMU
November 13th, 2009, 11:23 PM
Not the team with the best resume, not the team that deserves to be #1 - All things equal, put them in a tournament on neutral fields, who ya got?

The playoffs will tell us who the best team is. We'll know in 5 weeks.

blukeys
November 13th, 2009, 11:53 PM
The playoffs will tell us who the best team is. We'll know in 5 weeks.

Ditto!!xthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupxxth umbsupx

rcny46
November 14th, 2009, 12:10 AM
I'm going with Southern Illinois.

Schfourteenteen
November 14th, 2009, 12:13 AM
Putting Liberty in the poll is an absolute stroke of genius.

Wildcat80
November 14th, 2009, 02:29 AM
New Hampshire! with wins over nova, ball state.....and w&m!!??

ur2k
November 14th, 2009, 07:47 AM

How do you figure that? Last I checked Richmond was the one that blew that game.