PDA

View Full Version : CSN The CAA Today: Special Teams

CSN-info
November 13th, 2009, 12:29 AM
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/skins/andreas_01/img/ttcaatoday.JPG

The CAA Today: Special Teams
Terence Thomas, Sr. CSN The CAA Today columnist

Dear Reader, this might be my longest column to date. I want to discuss several items, and I want to warn you might want to consider printing this one out and setting it aside until you have time where you can sit down and read through it with your beverage of choice nearby.

I’ll outline the format of this presentation giving you the option of choosing what might interest you in order that you can skip what does not.

I. Standings and Playoff Probabilities.
II. Quarterback & Payton Award Discussion.
III. Special Teams.
IV. Game Reviews & Prognostications.

Read more ... (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2009/11/12/the-caa-today-special-teams?blog=5)

Tribe4SF
November 13th, 2009, 05:30 AM
Cites W&M long-snapper Chase Hill as being perfect on PATs, FGs, and punts. Hill snaps only on punts. OC C.J. Muse snaps for place kicking.

CSN-info
November 13th, 2009, 06:06 AM
Cites W&M long-snapper Chase Hill as being perfect on PATs, FGs, and punts. Hill snaps only on punts. OC C.J. Muse snaps for place kicking.

7,600+ words and this is your comment? What have the FCS fans come to? xconfusedx

Tribe4SF
November 13th, 2009, 07:08 AM
7,600+ words and this is your comment? What have the FCS fans come to? xconfusedx

Not unusual for someone to correct a mistake about their team. Apparently you think it's insignificant, but Terence chose to focus on special teams this week, with some emphasis on snapping. Nice to see some coverage of guys who rarely get any, and the right guys deserve to be recognized. That's all this FCS fan has come to, and if you're confused I hope that clears it up for you.

CSN-info
November 13th, 2009, 07:51 AM
Not unusual for someone to correct a mistake about their team.

No, not that. But it is the instant discrediting of an FCS column because it has a typo or small factual error that is disheartening, without any comment on the entire body. One sentence is all that is needed to shoot it down. :(

JMUNJ08
November 13th, 2009, 08:09 AM
We need to get Terence a better camera. The one shot with no one in the stands is so depressing....

headdressguy
November 13th, 2009, 08:24 AM
No, not that. But it is the instant discrediting of an FCS column because it has a typo or small factual error that is disheartening, without any comment on the entire body. One sentence is all that is needed to shoot it down. :(

Holy overreactions, Batman! I know we were tough on Terence around these parts early in the season, so I can understand the desire to defend his work. Part of it was probably that CAA fans were spoiled by having Dowd on our beat in the past, but part of it also was that the column needed some work. I can't speak for SF, but I appreciate the way Mr. Thomas has grown into the role over the course of the season and enjoy his work each week.

Now that said, unless I'm tone deaf on this T4SF's post didn't read at all like "an instant discrediting of an FCS column." I don't think anybody begrudges Mr. Thomas a minor error; it happens to the best of us (fans follow one team closely; Terence has twelve to keep up with). T4SF just wanted to make sure the right people receive credit for their work.

If it was my name on the byline, I'd appreciate the help and embrace the opportunity to get it right.

wideright82
November 13th, 2009, 09:25 AM

Good article written by Mr. Thomas! CSN-Info, are there shots by your guys from the Nova v. UR game, by chance?

Tribe4SF
November 13th, 2009, 10:53 AM

Point your bluster in someone else's direction. If you've had issues with people's reactions to CSN columns, then take them on directly. If my pointing out that CJ Muse is W&M's short snapper shoots down Terence's column in your eyes, then you've got unresolved issues elsewhere. The only shot taken in this thread is yours at me.

UR Spider
November 13th, 2009, 12:07 PM
I guess I have to agree that Bruce Dowd is a tough act to follow and that the column has improved since the begining of the year, but I think it still could be quite a bit better and any columnist who doesn't want or encourage feedback needs to consider another profession.

I wasn't an English major in college so I probably can't articulate exactly what makes for a better read, but maybe a couple of quick points might spur others to more skillfully write their thoughts and suggestions for the column. (or they can shoot my criticisms down as unwarranted - and I'm ok with that)

Thomas' writing seems to lack powerful descriptions nor does it seem to convey a sense being there in person. Too often it seems that his game recaps are pretty straight forward and don't provide insight that one couldn't gain from looking at the box score. The box score doesn't always tell the whole story - I'd like to know if the O-line was "man handled" or "consistently on its heels". Let me know if a running back has "explosive" speed or was able to gain most of his yards after "bouncing off" the initial tackle attempt.

Thomas also seems to take awhile to describe basic concepts of football. I think it is a safe assumption that someone who takes the time to seak out and find the CSN webiste is a moderate to hard core FCS fan. People who follow FCS have a passion for the sport and you don't get the casual fan you do with FBS. FCS people know and appreciate football and in particular well executed football regardless of the number of scholarships on the field at and in order to have that level of appreciation you need the knowledge to differentiate between a well played game and one that falls short.

Finally, and this actually doesn't relate to the writing style of Thomas, but if the column runs on a Friday why spend so many inches on recapping games that are a week old? I understand maybe a few comments on last week's actions - like this team looked strong, or there were surprises in that game, but a straight forward statistically oriented recap of the games probably could be elimnated.

Those are just my opinions and I really and truly don't mean any malice with them, just some items that I have been thinking about since the Dowd to Thomas transfer. Feel free to call me out if I am coming off like a snob and my comments are way off base.