PDA

View Full Version : Lafayette @ Lehigh PREgame Thread

Pages : [1] 2

carney2
November 12th, 2009, 09:04 PM
This is getting out of hand at a very early date - and with big games yet to play. Anyway, let's transfer all of this crapola to a properly named thread and have at it.

I'll begin by pulling the following statement from Pard94 from that other thread:

"I remember well the days when Lehigh's "Brown and White" didn't stink. "

Brown and white always stinks.

Bogus Megapardus
November 12th, 2009, 09:20 PM
I reject any attempt to consolidate as an unreasonable restriction on literary freedom. No thread should be safe.

RichH2
November 12th, 2009, 10:48 PM
Ok, here goes. I dont think the Big South or the NEC even deserve bids this year. xbawlingxHowever, the PFL has shown great growth and should have at least 2 in this year. The Pl and CAA are done.xeyebrowx

Well you wanted all the crapola moved here didn't youxwhistlex

Pard94
November 13th, 2009, 08:06 AM
This is getting out of hand at a very early date - and with big games yet to play. Anyway, let's transfer all of this crapola to a properly named thread and have at it.

I'll begin by pulling the following statement from Pard94 from that other thread:

"I remember well the days when Lehigh's "Brown and White" didn't stink. "

Brown and white always stinks.

Mr. Carney is taking my quote out of context. Just to be acccurate I was recalling a time (no too long ago) when Lehigh supporters were convinced their "brown and white didn't stink". This was back in the day when when Lafayette was suffering from the devasting Div III study by Lafayette's president. This tipped the balance of power in the Lehgih Valley for a good five years. This resulted in an even greater overinflation of some Lehigh supporters already baselessly massive egos. Comments were made that suggested perhaps it was time for Lehigh to indentify a new rival. The Leopards were not worthy of their time or attention.

What time has proven is that Lafayette needs to be severely handicapped by extraordinary events in order for Lehigh to outpace the Leopards. When the playing field is level...the Chicken hawks can't hang. Oh sure...they might be good for a win when Lafayette's starting QB is hobbled with nothing less than a brain injury (see last year). But that's about it. I fully expect that the Leopards will get back to their favorite pass-time...beating the arrogant, bloviating bloviators from Bethlehem. First the league championship and then the Pards will bring the Chicken Hawks behind the woodshed...again. "Choose your switch" as they say Lehigh...how would you like to be beaten this year? Through the air? On the ground? A little of both perhaps?

By the way...whats the "over/under" on how many minutes before this gets moved to the smack board?

letsgopards04
November 13th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Mr. Carney is taking my quote out of context. Just to be acccurate I was recalling a time (no too long ago) when Lehigh supporters were convinced their "brown and white didn't stink". This was back in the day when when Lafayette was suffering from the devasting Div III study by Lafayette's president. This tipped the balance of power in the Lehgih Valley for a good five years. This resulted in an even greater overinflation of some Lehigh supporters already baselessly massive egos. Comments were made that suggested perhaps it was time for Lehigh to indentify a new rival. The Leopards were not worthy of their time or attention.

What time has proven is that Lafayette needs to be severely handicapped by extraordinary events in order for Lehigh to outpace the Leopards. When the playing field is level...the Chicken hawks can't hang. Oh sure...they might be good for a win when Lafayette's starting QB is hobbled with nothing less than a brain injury (see last year). But that's about it. I fully expect that the Leopards will get back to their favorite pass-time...beating the arrogant, bloviating bloviators from Bethlehem. First the league championship and then the Pards will bring the Chicken Hawks behind the woodshed...again. "Choose your switch" as they say Lehigh...how would you like to be beaten this year? Through the air? On the ground? A little of both perhaps?

By the way...whats the "over/under" on how many minutes before this gets moved to the smack board?

I vote that it stays because it is not smack but FACT! xlolx

RichH2
November 13th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Doubt it will make it thru the day.xoopsx If it does then folds into GAME week and it will stay. Venom and vitriol shall rule the dayxthumbsupx

Bogus Megapardus
November 13th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Ok, here goes. I dont think the Big South or the NEC even deserve bids this year. xbawlingxHowever, the PFL has shown great growth and should have at least 2 in this year. The Pl and CAA are done.xeyebrowx

Well you wanted all the crapola moved here didn't youxwhistlex

Liberty should be seeded and have home games throughout the playoffs. The CAA deserves all at at-large bids. App State has outgrown the SoCon. This could be fun!!!!

Bogus Megapardus
November 13th, 2009, 08:38 AM
bloviating bloviators from Bethlehem.

P94, you're watching too much Bill O'Reilly. :D

Pard94
November 13th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Doubt it will make it thru the day.xoopsx If it does then folds into GAME week and it will stay. Venom and vitriol shall rule the dayxthumbsupx

On that we agree. Gloves come off next week. It won't be for the faint of heart (which includes most Lehigh alum). To all thin-skinned posters on both sides...please don't come into this thread if your delicate constitutions can't handle it. Moderators...please take the week off next week.

Pard94
November 13th, 2009, 08:40 AM
P94, you're watching too much Bill O'Reilly. :D

Never watched the guy...I'm more of a Britt Hume kind of man.

carney2
November 13th, 2009, 08:48 AM

What do you think the spread will be for THE Game?

I don't really give a healthy rat's rear end at this point, but it's an attempt to keep this here and off the smack board. This isn't smack. It is what we (both sides) suffer through 364 weeks to get to. This isn't smack. It's our passion. This isn't smack. It's...

Pard94
November 13th, 2009, 08:49 AM

I don't really give a healthy rat's rear end at this point, but it's an attempt to keep this here and off the smack board.

It's gotta to be 14 points, no?

Pard94
November 13th, 2009, 08:51 AM

I don't really give a healthy rat's rear end at this point, but it's an attempt to keep this here and off the smack board.

by the way...if it's not on the smack board by Monday...I have every intention of forcing it on to the smack board. I will take it as a personal challenge to drive this thread on to the smack board.

Bogus Megapardus
November 13th, 2009, 08:56 AM
If this thread gets shuffled off involuntarily to the smack board, I will start a new thread.

Pard94
November 13th, 2009, 09:14 AM
If this thread gets shuffled off involuntarily to the smack board, I will start a new thread.

I am Spartacus!

RichH2
November 13th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Ok,

The pressure has finally gotten to 94,he has revealed his true self SPARTACUS. We can have suitable crosses erected outside Goodman for spartacus and his followers. The Empire shal rise again.xthumbsupx

Pard4Life
November 13th, 2009, 09:36 AM
We should focus on the championship game, because we actually have something to play for this week instead of our third win... which came when the Mets still had two weeks of misery left.

Bogus Megapardus
November 13th, 2009, 09:41 AM
We should focus on the championship game, because we actually have something to play for this week instead of our third win... which came when the Mets still had two weeks of misery left.

The Fountain Pigeons' next win isn't scheduled until the 2011 season.

Pard94
November 13th, 2009, 09:47 AM
The Fountain Pigeons' next win isn't scheduled until the 2011 season.

That remains to be seen.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 13th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Good old rivalries.

At the end of the day Lehigh's success made Lafayette better and i think Lafayette's current run now will only push Lehigh moving forward. Like Lehigh in the past, Lafayette people should enjoy their riches now because in the end what goes around comes around. Once Lehigh gets their head back on straight, it will happen obviously, then Lafayette will be playing catch up for a couple years. Rivalries aren't rivalries unless both teams win.

Pard94
November 13th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Good old rivalries.

At the end of the day Lehigh's success made Lafayette better and i think Lafayette's current run now will only push Lehigh moving forward. Like Lehigh in the past, Lafayette people should enjoy their riches now because in the end what goes around comes around. Once Lehigh gets their head back on straight, it will happen obviously, then Lafayette will be playing catch up for a couple years. Rivalries aren't rivalries unless both teams win.

That's all well and good. Take note...no Lafayette supporter has ever once indicated that the Lafayette vs. Lehigh game should be put on ice. We're not looking to Colgate or Holy Cross to supplant you guys. We don't think Liberty should be our end of season game like you guys thought Villanova should be yours back in the late 90's. We're smart enough to know a good thing when we see one. When and/if the worm turns again I hope you all remember you're one bad coach away from mediocrity or worse.

On a brighter note...I think the one thing that has seperated Lafayette from Lehigh over the last 10 years is consistancy. Our headcoach for the last 10 years was our OC 10 years before that. Furthermore I highly doubt he's looking to climb the coaching ladder anymore. His Easton roots have grown deep. I suspect he'll be at the healm for the next 5-10 years. That's good news. We may bitch from time to time about Frank Tavani and some of his calls, etc. Overall however, we realize we are lucky to have him. Likewise he realizes he is lucky to have us. In short this relationship works. And when Frank is ready to step down...enter John Troxell (another Leopard through and through)...stage right.

Oh by the way...let's not forget Bruce McCutcheon. This is a guy that raised a lot of eyebrows when he was named AD. He seemed more like a hen-picked husband than an Div.I AD. All he has done is oversee what can only be judged a pretty successful sports program.

carney2
November 13th, 2009, 10:14 AM
by the way...if it's not on the smack board by Monday...I have every intention of forcing it on to the smack board. I will take it as a personal challenge to drive this thread on to the smack board.

I know this is your time of the year to really go nuts, but why not just pick a fight with that crotchety olde foole, the 61 guy from Squawkville, and have yourself a good old time. Leave this here so we can follow your progress.

carney2
November 13th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Oh by the way...let's not forget Bruce McCutcheon. This is a guy that raised a lot of eyebrows when he was named AD. He seemed more like a hen-picked husband than an Div.I AD. All he has done is oversee what can only be judged a pretty successful sports program.

I think you stepped ff the edge with this one. Time to start back pedaling.

Bogus Megapardus
November 13th, 2009, 10:18 AM
Oh by the way...let's not forget Bruce McCutcheon.

I hope all of us can forget the unmitigated disaster who preceded him.

Pard94
November 13th, 2009, 10:18 AM
I know this is your time of the year to really go nuts, but why not just pick a fight with that crotchety olde foole, the 61 guy from Squawkville, and have yourself a good old time. Leave this here so we can follow your progress.

it's alright...I think the moderators will turn a blind eye. They are smart enough to realize that this one of the premminant (sp?) rivalries in FCS. In other words this is big time smack talk that deserves a center stage. I'll try to temper the smack so it doesn't spill over into the realm of the personal. Hopefully, in return, the moderators will allow...shall we say...spirited discussion leading up to The Rivalry.

Pard94
November 13th, 2009, 10:21 AM
I think you stepped ff the edge with this one. Time to start back pedaling.

Please...we're a $50K a year school of 2,000 students. What are you expecting a Notre Dame-esque type of program? Know thyself Carney.

carney2
November 13th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Good old rivalries.

Ah yes, the pendulum swings. Unfortunately, I spent decades - literally decades - when I thought that the swinging weight was defying gravity and giving the finger to Isaac Newton. This isn't about back and forth, ying and yang. It's catch up. It's making up for all of those Neil Putnam and late stage Bill Russo years and the other garbage ball I watched between, before and around them. I know this isn't forever, but I am determined to maximize the advantage while it's here. It's my turn. IT'S MY FREAKIN' TURN!!!!!

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 13th, 2009, 10:25 AM
I've been a part of 16 of these. Not being a Lehigh grad i don't have any inner hatred or the like built up for Lafayette. It's just fun to be a part of something special and unique like this game. Obviously i hope Lehigh wins each and every year but i get over it rather quickly if they don't.

Vilenova is where i direct my venom. xrulesx

carney2
November 13th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Please...we're a $50K a year school of 2,000 students. What are you expecting a Notre Dame-esque type of program? Know thyself Carney.

But, praise for Bruce McCutcheon?!!! Even gullible old me with my $50,000 diploma (not nearly so much back in the day) can't swallow that line.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 13th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Ah yes, the pendulum swings. Unfortunately, I spent decades - literally decades - when I thought that the swinging weight was defying gravity and giving the finger to Isaac Newton. This isn't about back and forth, ying and yang. It's catch up. It's making up for all of those Neil Putnam and late stage Bill Russo years and the other garbage ball I watched between, before and around them. I know this isn't forever, but I am determined to maximize the advantage while it's here.

Well depending on who you believe, Lehigh still can split this decades games if they win next week. In my life, i'm 27, Lehigh has had the upper hand in the series. This is easily the best Lafayette has been since i can remember.

Pard94
November 13th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Well depending on who you believe, Lehigh still can split this decades games if they win next week. In my life, i'm 27, Lehigh has had the upper hand in the series. This is easily the best Lafayette has been since i can remember.

Alright I have to ask...how does a 27 year old Temple alum end up rooting for Lehigh?

carney2
November 13th, 2009, 10:39 AM

I'm a lot older than 27, and the Squawks have had the upper hand through my association with this series also. (Lafayette has won a miserable 35% of the games played with the DungBoys in my years of living and [mostly] dying with this competition.) As I said in an earlier post, IT'S MY FREAKIN' TURN, and I am determined to enjoy every minute of it.

Pard94
November 13th, 2009, 10:48 AM
I'm a lot older than 27, and the Squawks have had the upper hand through my association with this series also. (Lafayette has won a miserable 35% of the games played with the DungBoys in my years of living and [mostly] dying with this competition.) As I said in an earlier post, IT'S MY FREAKIN' TURN, and I am determined to enjoy every minute of it.

Jeez...how in the hell are we up by a wide margin in the overall series? My affiliation started with Lafayette in 1990. When I played for the Leopards we beat Lehigh twice and we lost to Lehigh twice. Since I graduated they owned us for a while and then we owned them. Yet, somehow, between carney and OwlChickenHawk you'dd think we were a blind squirell looking for a nut.

It's two weeks to 145 Carney...time to stop aiding and abetting the enemy if only for the next two weeks. Tighten it up man! Put on your game face if you have one.

carney2
November 13th, 2009, 10:50 AM
It's two weeks to 145 Carney...time to stop aiding and abetting the enemy if only for the next two weeks. Tighten it up man! Put on your game face if you have one.

This is it.

Pard94
November 13th, 2009, 10:55 AM
This is it.

Then may I suggest you consider relegating yourself to comments such as "yeah!" and "what he said!" for the next two weeks. Leopard fans don't want to hear about a 35% win percentage over the course of your lifetime leading up to The Game. For the next two weeks...when it comes to Lehigh, if you can't say something mean don't say anything at all. Just for the next two weeks. What do you say?

Pard4Life
November 13th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Jeez...how in the hell are we up by a wide margin in the overall series? My affiliation started with Lafayette in 1990. When I played for the Leopards we beat Lehigh twice and we lost to Lehigh twice. Since I graduated they owned us for a while and then we owned them. Yet, somehow, between carney and OwlChickenHawk you'dd think we were a blind squirell looking for a nut.

We are up by 13 games because we beat the crap out of them from 1897 or so through 1949.

Pard94
November 13th, 2009, 10:58 AM
We are up by 13 games because we beat the crap out of them from 1897 or so through 1949.

Come on Carney...you were around for a good portion of that. Can't you remember the good times?

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 13th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Alright I have to ask...how does a 27 year old Temple alum end up rooting for Lehigh?

My dad went there. I've been going to games since i was a little kid and still remember Taylor Stadium. I've seen some awesome games and been to to quite a few schools because of LU football. I remember driving up from Temple to see Lehigh play when i was in school. I'll always watch/support Lehigh. It's fun to have a rooting interest at this level of football. I will say that if Temple hadn't completely sucked while i was there i might have followed my Owls more closely. However, we were sooo bad that it was torture to try to watch a game.

Pard94
November 13th, 2009, 11:01 AM
My dad went there. I've been going to games since i was a little kid and still remember Taylor Stadium. I've seen some awesome games and been to to quite a few schools because of LU football. I remember driving up from Temple to see Lehigh play when i was in school. I'll always watch/support Lehigh. It's fun to have a rooting interest at this level of football. I will say that if Temple hadn't completely sucked while i was there i might have followed my Owls more closely. However, we were sooo bad that it was torture to try to watch a game.

Ahhh. That explains it. Did your Pop play for the Chicken Hawks?

yes...I grew up right outside of Philly myself. Temple football was DREADFUL. Too bad really.

carney2
November 13th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Come on Carney...you were around for a good portion of that. Can't you remember the good times?

Too many games with the old leather helmet.

But I'm feeling better now.

Pard4Life
November 13th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Either way we will be the first to 100 wins! My goal is to see 17-9 vs Lehigh by 2025. We are 5-4 this decade. Or 30-20 by 2050 for 2000-2050. So we are looking at Pards winning 100 by Game 178, in 2042.

carney2
November 13th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Then may I suggest you consider relegating yourself to comments such as "yeah!" and "what he said!" for the next two weeks. Leopard fans don't want to hear about a 35% win percentage over the course of your lifetime leading up to The Game. For the next two weeks...when it comes to Lehigh, if you can't say something mean don't say anything at all. Just for the next two weeks. What do you say?

Not even a few "attaboys" for the revenge factor?

Not even an "up yours, FeatherHead" because I'm finally enjoying myself in November?

Aren't you being a little harsh?

RichH2
November 13th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Hell of a smack thread, so far its just an intramural warmup between Pards.xeyebrowx

I'ma bit older than all of you it seems. I start from 1962 and I've seen every game since 1964. In hospital for 63 , tore up my knee a week earlier. Had more patience with friggin cycles when younger, none now. Realize now why older alums are such a pain in the *ss. We dont know whether we'll be around for the next good streak. Historically LU seems to love long good and bad streaks.LU has had a great streak up til 4 years ago. Cycles are a real part of any program. Few can avoid all downturns. I kept thinking this season would start an upward trend , well not so muchxmadx.

We are good enuf to give every one a tough game just not good enuf to win them yet. At some point they will get it. Hopefully for the last 2 games of the season.

Lafayette is the only game that will make this season endurable . A must win. I trust Tavani to insert Quilling to insure my continuing mental healthxthumbsupx

Pard94
November 13th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Not even a few "attaboys" for the revenge factor?

Not even an "up yours, FeatherHead" because I'm finally enjoying myself in November?

Aren't you being a little harsh?

Oh no no...if you have something mean to direct towards the Chicken Hawks, by all means, please pile on with the rest of us. Happy to have you. However, if you could, please repress any natural desire you may have to relive Lafayette football 1996-2001. Or if you have an overwhelming desire to comment on the bucolic beauty of Goodman Stadium in autumn...scream into a pillow, count to 10 and let it pass. We are on war footing now. Now's not the time for graciousness and good sportsmanship.

Pard94
November 13th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Hell of a smack thread, so far its just an intramural warmup between Pards.xeyebrowx

I'ma bit older than all of you it seems. I start from 1962 and I've seen every game since 1964. In hospital for 63 , tore up my knee a week earlier. Had more patience with friggin cycles when younger, none now. Realize now why older alums are such a pain in the *ss. We dont know whether we'll be around for the next good streak. Historically LU seems to love long good and bad streaks.LU has had a great streak up til 4 years ago. Cycles are a real part of any program. Few can avoid all downturns. I kept thinking this season would start an upward trend , well not so muchxmadx.

We are good enuf to give every one a tough game just not good enuf to win them yet. At some point they will get it. Hopefully for the last 2 games of the season.

Lafayette is the only game that will make this season endurable . A must win. I trust Tavani to insert Quilling to insure my continuing mental healthxthumbsupx

If Tavani inserts Quilling for any reason other than Curely's arm literally fell off...it will be Carney who will have to restrain me from trashing my own program.

Pard94
November 13th, 2009, 11:25 AM

Don't speak too soon. I think Carney is in his early 100's.

ngineer
November 13th, 2009, 01:05 PM

Check out 1919-1949. Over thirty year period Lehigh won 4 games and there was one tie. That is where your lead comes from. In the "modern era", Lehigh is 36-21-2.

Bogus Megapardus
November 13th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Check out 1919-1949. Over thirty year period Lehigh won 4 games and there was one tie. That is where your lead comes from. In the "modern era", Lehigh is 36-21-2.

This is the most-played rivalry in college football. It didn't earn that distinction solely in the "modern era." Were that the case, this would be just another game and we'd have nothing to discuss.

And just for the purpose of reply, were it not for Lafayette, Lehigh wouldn't even have a football team. For that matter, were it not for Lafayette, Lehigh wouldn't even be a college.

The fact remains that Lafayette leads the series, and had always lead the series, since the very first game. I don't expect that will change in my lifetime.

Pard94
November 13th, 2009, 01:17 PM

It all counts. Afterall, we can give ourselves the billing of "college's most played rivalry" if we only count the "moden era" can we?

LEHIGH61
November 13th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Carney 2 I'll bet your father looks like my grandfather. In fact, you just might look like my father, only not as goodlooking..

carney2
November 13th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Think about it -

We are up to about 50 posts here and God knows how many on that misnamed predecessor thing, AND there is one game to go before we get there, AND one of those games is arguably "important." Not many in the world of college football have this to look forward to each year. xnodx :D ;) xsmiley_wix xthumbsupx

carney2
November 13th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Carney 2 I'll bet your father looks like my grandfather. In fact, you just might look like my father, only not as goodlooking..

This looks like it was "written" by a Lehigh engineer because I have no idea what it says. I think, however, that I've been insulted. I will meet you after the game in the eastern most portion of the north (south) parking lot (you know, the mud hole) at Goodman immediately after the game. Your choice of weapons.

Pard94
November 13th, 2009, 01:29 PM
This looks like it was "written" by a Lehigh engineer because I have no idea what it says. I think, however, that I've been insulted. I will meet you after the game in the eastern most portion of the north (south) parking lot (you know, the mud hole) at Goodman immediately after the game. Your choice of weapons.

As I recall from the 91 affair...large chunks of muddy sod are the weapon of choice at Goodman.

Pard4Life
November 13th, 2009, 01:30 PM
This is the most-played rivalry in college football. It didn't earn that distinction solely in the "modern era." Were that the case, this would be just another game and we'd have nothing to discuss.

And just for the purpose of reply, were it not for Lafayette, Lehigh wouldn't even have a football team. For that matter, were it not for Lafayette, Lehigh wouldn't even be a college.

The fact remains that Lafayette leads the series, and had always lead the series, since the very first game. I don't expect that will change in my lifetime.

Not true about the lead Bogus. We lost the lead in the early 1890s and got it back at the end of the decade, off the top of my head.

Bogus Megapardus
November 13th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Not true about the lead Bogus. We lost the lead in the early 1890s and got it back at the end of the decade, off the top of my head.

Damn!!! I wanted ngineer to come back with that so I could throw his "modern era" line right back at him. Just goes to show you that the Pards are fair and balanced, though.

Pard94
November 13th, 2009, 01:40 PM

pard4Life...do I need to give you the same lecture I gave Carney? Please keep all facts that go against Lafayette to yourself for the next two weeks...no matter how true they might be.

Pards Rule
November 13th, 2009, 02:39 PM
This will be my 30th game - so I've seen plenty starting with the 32-0 shutout by Lehigh in Easton on Nov. 22, 1980..I have lived through the dismal 1995-2003 era when we won once in 2002. So I'm enjoying this run and I hope Tavani stays as long as he wants and then Troxell takes over for him. Long live PARDBALL!

Pards Rule
November 13th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Either way we will be the first to 100 wins! My goal is to see 17-9 vs Lehigh by 2025. We are 5-4 this decade. Or 30-20 by 2050 for 2000-2050. So we are looking at Pards winning 100 by Game 178, in 2042.

God, the 150th meeting is only a few years away! RESERVE TIX NOW!

Bogus Megapardus
November 13th, 2009, 03:31 PM
God, the 150th meeting is only a few years away! RESERVE TIX NOW!

150 might even get us on "regular" ESPN - assuming the Bawks still play football then.

Pard4Life
November 13th, 2009, 03:48 PM
pard4Life...do I need to give you the same lecture I gave Carney? Please keep all facts that go against Lafayette to yourself for the next two weeks...no matter how true they might be.

That's the beauty though... facts prove we are better. 76-63-5.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 13th, 2009, 04:20 PM
As I recall from the 91 affair...large chunks of muddy sod are the weapon of choice at Goodman.

I was there, and I'll take your reference to that game to mean that Lehigh is going to win next weekend, since Lehigh won the 91 affair also. xnodx

PS. I didn't throw sod - I don't enjoy tear gas.

Pard4Life
November 13th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Watching Drexel-St. Joes on CN8. Sedale Threatt's name was mentioned (in relation to the father). Jr's wins vs Lafayette: zero. Most overhyped Lehigh QB ever? Some thought he had NFL potential... was that you LFN??

Bogus Megapardus
November 13th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Watching Drexel-St. Joes on CN8. Sedale Threatt's name was mentioned (in relation to the father). Jr's wins vs Lafayette: zero. Most overhyped Lehigh QB ever? Some thought he had NFL potential... was that you LFN??

Lehigh plays football?

ngineer
November 13th, 2009, 08:45 PM

My reply was in response to your question as to how Lafayette has achieved it's current margin of wins (13). I merely pointed out that the Lehigh's 'Dark Ages' was more like an Ice Age in winning only 4 games during that 30 year period. No question the tradition is based upon the entire history. But you guys read too much into a simple explanation. Don't they teach you guys to read as oppose to psychoanalyze everything??;)

RichH2
November 13th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Has anyone noticed that this has turned into the Lafayette pre game thread. looks about 4 or 5Pardposts to all others.xeyebrowx Pardlings xwhistlexhave always been known for self abuse and buggeringxnonox
"The eagles fly high at lafayette etc etc the Deanie is a bu..." Oh well this is a PG thread

ngineer
November 13th, 2009, 08:49 PM
It all counts. Afterall, we can give ourselves the billing of "college's most played rivalry" if we only count the "moden era" can we?

Didn't say it didn't count. You asked how the margin occured. Merely pointed out where...Look and ye shall find.xreadx

Bogus Megapardus
November 13th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Aww, c'mon; what's a little syllogistic fallacy between friendly rivals? It's all in good fun . . . .

ngineer
November 13th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Aww, c'mon; what's a little syllogistic fallacy between friendly rivals? It's all in good fun . . . .

Sort of like syllogistic 'fallatio', which is always in good fun...xrolleyesx

Pard94
November 13th, 2009, 09:17 PM
I was there, and I'll take your reference to that game to mean that Lehigh is going to win next weekend, since Lehigh won the 91 affair also. xnodx

PS. I didn't throw sod - I don't enjoy tear gas.

Nope. Merely suggesting your crappy field is prone to come up in large muddy chunks of sod suitable for throwing. Oh and the Bethlehem PD are thugs...that too. I was there as well and I didn't dare remove my helmet.

Bogus Megapardus
November 13th, 2009, 09:20 PM
I see the Pards won their basketball opener tonight. How did Lehigh do? Oh dear. I'm afraid they LOST . . . .

Pard94
November 13th, 2009, 09:21 PM
I see the Pards won their basketball opener tonight. How did Lehigh do? Oh dear. I'm afraid they LOST . . . .

Cause they're losers.

ngineer
November 13th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Nope. Merely suggesting your crappy field is prone to come up in large muddy chunks of sod suitable for throwing. Oh and the Bethlehem PD are thugs...that too. I was there as well and I didn't dare remove my helmet.

Ah, shows you have not seen our new natural turf field that was installed last year. I agree, the old Goodman field was terrible. I played on it my freshman year and the Spring Game was played there, 'back then'. It was uneven. Had an irregular crown. No wonder kickers had difficulting planting and kicking straight as well as runners inexplicably falling down at the worst of times. The new field is irrigated from underneath and has a nice tight nap...much like CBP, which I've been on. So even in a good rain, there won't be too much mud, but you'll still get grass stains.!;)

Bogus Megapardus
November 13th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Ah, shows you have not seen our new natural turf field that was installed last year. I agree, the old Goodman field was terrible. I played on it my freshman year and the Spring Game was played there, 'back then'. It was uneven. Had an irregular crown. No wonder kickers had difficulting planting and kicking straight as well as runners inexplicably falling down at the worst of times. The new field is irrigated from underneath and has a nice tight nap...much like CBP, which I've been on. So even in a good rain, there won't be too much mud, but you'll still get grass stains.!;)

Must have hired a Lafayette engineering grad to finally get it right.

Pard94
November 13th, 2009, 09:23 PM

Yeah...I'm sure it's the greatest thing since sliced bread...until such time that you guys get field turf and then you'll pretend it was an original idea.

ngineer
November 13th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Cause they're losers.

I see Lehigh beat Penn State in wrestling tonight, 23-14. How did Laughteryette's wrestling team do....Oh, that's right, they don't wrestle anymore. That's because they're QUITTERS!

Pard94
November 13th, 2009, 09:25 PM
I see Lehigh beat Penn State in wrestling tonight, 23-14. How did Laughteryette's wrestling team do....Oh, that's right, they don't wrestle anymore. That's because they're QUITTERS!

That and rolling around the floor with other guys lost it's appeal long ago.

Bogus Megapardus
November 13th, 2009, 09:27 PM

Wasn't Asa Packer a wrassler too?

ngineer
November 13th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Yeah, right. Let me know when Lafayette's signature sport (basketball?)attains the 'tradition' of being a national power...oh, that's right. Lafayette really doesn't have a signature sport...still learning to write.

ngineer
November 13th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Wasn't Asa Packer a wrassler too?

No. Ol' Asa was long gone before Billy Sheridan arrived on campus.

Bogus Megapardus
November 13th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Yeah...I'm sure it's the greatest thing since sliced bread...until such time that you guys get field turf and then you'll pretend it was an original idea.

Naw, they still won't get it right, P94. Their idiot groundskeepers won't fathom the consequences of fertilizing polyethylene until it's much too late . . . .

ngineer
November 13th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Naw, they still won't get it right, P94. Their idiot groundskeepers won't fathom the consequences of fertilizing polyethylene until it's much too late . . . .

Possibly because they're Lafayette grads.

Bogus Megapardus
November 13th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Possibly because they're Lafayette grads.

I walked into that one, didn't I?

RichH2
November 13th, 2009, 11:24 PM
Geez, the one liners just keep on comingxnodx what they lack in quality they are making up in quantity. Must be a time warp happening here as Pard posts are becoming sophomoric. C'mon Bogus I know you are better than that.

Well off to bed, Pards were only mens BBall team to win last night. Course they scheduled the weakest OOC game. Well at least you guys have last place sewed up in BBallxpeacex

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 14th, 2009, 01:07 AM
Good stuff xpopcornx

BTW, for the comment about Threatt. He was not overrated imo. Rather he was poorly coached. As has been a trend under the current administration, QB development lacks. Lembo did a great job with him as a Soph. Sedale could have been a great QB in today's spread but for some reason Coen really didn't do that. The day Borda went down Lembo completely changed the offense. He did it in a matter of a week! The Bucknell game was an intro for the following game which was against Colgate. By the time they got to Hamilton the offense was clicking. He was awesome in that game.

Lehigh didn't lose to Lafayette because of Threatt in '05. Lafayette was darn good and made a great play at the end.

Pard94
November 14th, 2009, 07:05 AM
Yeah, right. Let me know when Lafayette's signature sport (basketball?)attains the 'tradition' of being a national power...oh, that's right. Lafayette really doesn't have a signature sport...still learning to write.

So wrestling is your signature sport? Is that the signature you use all the time or just when your football team sucks?

RichH2
November 14th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Nomatterhow other teams do, wrestling has always been the primo. Used to drive me crazy in school. More fans would show up for the wrestle offs than for football games. great national tradition and ithelps that it is a fully funded scholarship sport. Nicetodream that football will follow but seems more unlikely than I would like

Bogus Megapardus
November 14th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Even I know that wrestling was "the" sport at Lehigh. I think that there was a double-secret PL rule that allowed Lehigh to continue to grant scholarships for wresting since the beginning. Lehigh even has a special wresting building/arena. They used to be a national powerhouse along with Iowa or something like that. They're always in the top 20 nationally.

Neither school has varsity hockey. One of them should. And maybe Lafayette could sponsor varsity women's wresting. That might draw fans (unless they're fugly).

carney2
November 14th, 2009, 10:44 AM
So wrestling is your signature sport?

Where I come from we did not call two guys rolling around on the floor grabbing each other, rasslin'.

RichH2
November 14th, 2009, 10:51 AM
I've heard that at Pardville its called true lovexnonox

ColgateTD
November 14th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Pardon me while I butt in: With LU's win today, and LC's loss, things are setting up for The 145th to be one hell of a game. Good luck to all involved! Remember: the best part is the tailgating!..xthumbsupx

Bogus Megapardus
November 14th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Pardon me while I butt in: With LU's win today, and LC's loss, things are setting up for The 145th to be one hell of a game. Good luck to all involved! Remember: the best part is the tailgating!..xthumbsupx

My first and foremost wish (given that the outcome is a forgone conclusion): Sunny Weather!!! Crisp and cool is just fine - just no rain!!!

RichH2
November 14th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Just gotin from FU game wedid our level best to lose but FU better at losing. Geez we cant even be the best at that.xrolleyesx. Just saw score. Tough gamefor Pards. I'm with you at least weatherwise Iam wet and cold. Please God no rain next week.

Bogus Megapardus
November 14th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Just gotin from FU game wedid our level best to lose but FU better at losing. Geez we cant even be the best at that.xrolleyesx. Just saw score. Tough gamefor Pards. I'm with you at least weatherwise Iam wet and cold. Please God no rain next week.

Laf/HC was well-played despite horrid conditions. Could have gone either way. QBs showed their stuff, that's for certain. WRs on both teams made remarkable slip n' slide catches. Were there questionable coaching decisions? A few. Some officiating that might have affected the outcome? Perhaps. But all in all a game worthy of its hype and, IMHO, one that will be discussed and recalled for years to come,

Congratulations to the Holy Cross Crusaders, 2009 Patriot League Champions. It was a long time coming, and it is well-deserved.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 14th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Nomatterhow other teams do, wrestling has always been the primo.

Even I know that wrestling was "the" sport at Lehigh....

Glug! Ug! What!?!?! Please, PLEASE don't repeat the fiction that Lehigh is a wrestling school. Football first. THEN wrestling. xthumbsupx

Bogus Megapardus
November 14th, 2009, 06:42 PM

I am creating a Top Ten list of reasons why Lehigh is unworthy of its own very existence, let alone taking the field against its historical superiors on the gridiron. Please PM me with suggestions so I can consolidate responses into an overpowering salvo of academic wit - and give deserving credit to all as well.

Lehigh graduates may opine - I shall maintain your confidences strictly, and forgive you for your youthful folly in making the errant choice that you did.

Bogus Megapardus
November 14th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Glug! Ug! What!?!?! Please, PLEASE don't repeat the fiction that Lehigh is a wrestling school. Football first. THEN wrestling. xthumbsupx

Lehigh blows at football. So you're saying that Wrestling is Number Two?

ngineer
November 14th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Just got in from the Bronx. Man the kids played well in spite fo the coaching. This really sets up #145. A Lehigh win and the Mountain Hawks will finish in tie for second with the downward spiraling Leopards. Colgate is done for the season, so we'd have a 'nice three-way';)

carney2
November 14th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Pre early bird weather forecast for Saturday:

Partly sunny with a 30 percent chance of showers. Highs in the mid 50s.

ngineer
November 14th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Pre early bird weather forecast for Saturday:

Partly sunny with a 30 percent chance of showers. Highs in the mid 50s.

I'll take it!...Gonna start by out tailgate this year?

Pard4Life
November 14th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Just got in from the Bronx. Man the kids played well in spite fo the coaching. This really sets up #145. A Lehigh win and the Mountain Hawks will finish in tie for second with the downward spiraling Leopards. Colgate is done for the season, so we'd have a 'nice three-way';)

Downward spiral? We have 8 wins, put up 56 on Gate, scored as many TDs as HC, two blown PATs and a no-call, and 7 straight wins is a downward spiral? People surely have lost perspective on South Mountain. Do you work for WFMZ 69?

ngineer
November 14th, 2009, 11:32 PM
Downward spiral? We have 8 wins, put up 56 on Gate, scored as many TDs as HC, two blown PATs and a no-call, and 7 straight wins is a downward spiral? People surely have lost perspective on South Mountain. Do you work for WFMZ 69?

The soaring has ended. As Frankie T said after the game, the same thing happened last year with a close loss to HC and they had trouble focusing on us, and therefore the excuse for last year's trouncing. This year is even worse. Rather than just fighting for piece of first place the whole enchilada was waiting to be eaten and the polka-dot pussies choked. That will be a real mind f*** for a number of the players and Frank knows it.

However, not saying you guys don't have a chance. Our best strategem would be to get someone with the Swine Flu and cough all over Brown's dinner tonight so he is out of commission for this coming week. Our kids not only overcame the weather, and the Rams today, they overcame the offensive play calling.

(And, hey, we had HC beat too...somehow the scoreboard said differently; so on that, we can commisserate.;) You did get hosed on that no-call.)

ngineer
November 14th, 2009, 11:37 PM
November 21, 2009:

THAT TIME OF THE MONTH FOR THE PUSSIES TO BLEED!!!!!!xsmashxxsmashxxsmashxxspankxxspankxxspa nkxxspankxxasswhipxxasswhipxxasswhipxxasswhipxxani m_chaixxanim_chaixxanim_chaixxanim_chaixxanim_chai xxhypedxxhypedxxhypedxxhypedxxhypedxxhypedxxhypedx xhypedxxhypedx

xdizzyxxdizzyxxdizzyxxdizzyxxdizzyx

RichH2
November 15th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Geez, ngineer never knew you were an artist. Nice and accurate piece of work

Pard4Life
November 15th, 2009, 10:55 AM
I think last year was worse. We HAD the game won and let it go with six seconds to play. We were behind in this one for awhile, so it didn't have the "rug was pulled out from under us" feeling. Disappointing yes, but we will be ready.

RichH2
November 15th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Very tough loss for Pards. Curley was great. The difference for all of us is Randolph. He is that good. otherwise an avg team. Saw Skelton, bigger and better arm and very accurate but less talent around him and no D whatsoever. See Ram posters starting the same complaints we have with Coen.

Franks Tanks
November 15th, 2009, 12:40 PM
The soaring has ended. As Frankie T said after the game, the same thing happened last year with a close loss to HC and they had trouble focusing on us, and therefore the excuse for last year's trouncing. This year is even worse. Rather than just fighting for piece of first place the whole enchilada was waiting to be eaten and the polka-dot pussies choked. That will be a real mind f*** for a number of the players and Frank knows it.

However, not saying you guys don't have a chance. Our best strategem would be to get someone with the Swine Flu and cough all over Brown's dinner tonight so he is out of commission for this coming week. Our kids not only overcame the weather, and the Rams today, they overcame the offensive play calling.

(And, hey, we had HC beat too...somehow the scoreboard said differently; so on that, we can commisserate.;) You did get hosed on that no-call.)

You guys are 3-7 the Pards are 8-2. The team is severly down and dissapointed after a crushing loss to HC in which both teams were very even and either team could have won.

The Leopards may lose next week, but even if we do our season will be much more succesful than Lehigh's 3rd losing season in a row.

A win and we finish 9-2 which will be our best record in some time. The lack of a PL championship and playoff appearance means we didnt meet our ultimate goal for the season, but no matter what happens next week it has been a much better season in Easton than Bethlehem.

Pards Rule
November 15th, 2009, 08:27 PM
A win would be 9-2, tying record in Russo's first season in 1981. That year we upset Lehigh at Bethlehem, 10-3 with Rodger Shepko scoring the only TD.

ngineer
November 15th, 2009, 09:23 PM
A win would be 9-2, tying record in Russo's first season in 1981. That year we upset Lehigh at Bethlehem, 10-3 with Rodger Shepko scoring the only TD.

Yep, I was there in the west endzone seats due to my seniority of being a grad of only seen years. The big thing about that win was that it knocked Lehigh out of playoff hopes for that year, preventing a return for a third straight year. Cold as hell, too, if that phrase makes any sense.

Bogus Megapardus
November 16th, 2009, 05:39 AM
LEHIGH BLOWS.

(Sorry for the lack of wit and creativity. It's early and I just had to bump this thread)

Pard4Life
November 16th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Yep, I was there in the west endzone seats due to my seniority of being a grad of only seen years. The big thing about that win was that it knocked Lehigh out of playoff hopes for that year, preventing a return for a third straight year. Cold as hell, too, if that phrase makes any sense.

Since LFN always seems to have time to put together a long analysis, how about a chart on the temperature of the Game. It has been very warm the past few years. Al Gore or not, something is amiss. It was 70 yesterday!

carney2
November 16th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Since LFN always seems to have time to put together a long analysis, how about a chart on the temperature of the Game. It has been very warm the past few years. Al Gore or not, something is amiss. It was 70 yesterday!

Huh? Were you at last year's Ice Bowl?

Bogus Megapardus
November 16th, 2009, 08:32 AM

Will LFN provide us with a sun-spot analysis and a horoscope as well? His mood ring has him hopeful, I understand. This is the crap that passes for a legitimate education over there on South Landfill, isn't it?

Pard94
November 16th, 2009, 08:39 AM
We are up to 13 pages of 145 Posts and it's 9:30 on Monday before the game. Of course most of the work has been done by Lafayette...just as most of the work on the field has been done by the Leopards this year. So step up you Lehigh chumps...time to wake up and pay attention again.

Yes...Lafayette is coming of a brutal loss. But here's the thing...when you play as well as the Leopards have played all season long you are bound to find yourself in games that mean something toward the end of the season. And, as they say, the guys on the other sideline get paid too. Lafayette came out 2 points short against a Top 15 team in the nation. It sucks but it happens. On the other side of the Lehigh Valley we have a "program" that once again has been playing for "pride" for about a month. Well I am sure they are nice an proud after their big win over another team that packed it in about three weeks ago. Perfect!

After this past weekend I can tell you the Leopards are well experienced in playing in dark, muddy conditions. The dungeon-like environs of Goodman will seem downright hospitable to this tough group. Practice up and eat your wheaties Chicken Hawks. Have your excuses at the ready and warm up the U-haul for coach Coen. It's been 4 years since you ran a coach out of town...you're long overdue. Lafayette will give you the final excuse you are looking for. See you Saturday chumps!

Pard4Life
November 16th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Huh? Were you at last year's Ice Bowl?

It was only about 40, just damp. This decade:

2001 very warm
2002 darn cold and windy
2003 very warm
2004 rainy and damp, not cold though
2005 warm
2006 chilly
2007 chilly
2008 damp cold

Pard94
November 16th, 2009, 08:52 AM

2001 very warm
2002 darn cold and windy
2003 very warm
2005 warm
2006 chilly
2007 chilly
2008 damp cold

With a wind chill of -18.

Pards Rule
November 16th, 2009, 08:56 AM
Pard 94, it wasnt that bad! No way! I can tell you the worst year was 1987 (final game at Taylor) with a temp that maybe got into low 20s but a howling NW wind at 35 mph - wind chill that game was - 20!!!

Bogus Megapardus
November 16th, 2009, 08:58 AM
With a wind chill of -18.

Yesterday was 71 degrees with a wind chill of 80. I'm hoping for that kinda day.

Franks Tanks
November 16th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Pard 94, it wasnt that bad! No way! I can tell you the worst year was 1987 (final game at Taylor) with a temp that maybe got into low 20s but a howling NW wind at 35 mph - wind chill that game was - 20!!!

It was pretty bad last year. I am pretty good with cold weather and I was freezing-- the wind was brutal.

Looks like we will have great weather this year

Pards Rule
November 16th, 2009, 09:02 AM
I was scouring the internet last night and came across some pics from the LC archive that showed various LC-LU games over the years and one that showed fans bundling in the stands at LC in 1972 watching a "powder puff" football game vs. Lehigh on a day of mixed snow/sleet/rain. Looked like a healthy crowd despite the snow that was falling when the pic was snapped. Can some of the senior elites shed some light on this tradition that isn't anymore. I think I barely recall some comments from some recent alums about it back in my frosh year in 1980 - even thought the game wasn't played that year or any other in my tenure there and after??

letsgopards04
November 16th, 2009, 09:09 AM
2000 was absolutely freezing.
2008 may have been warm in the sun but in Fisher Stadium it was cold. Tailgating next to the stadium my beer developed a sheet of ice.

Pards Rule
November 16th, 2009, 09:13 AM
It was cold but I think I was protected from the wind by the mass of humanity sitting in close quarters. And Carney had my back (literally)!! Cold, but I put 1987, 1989 and 1981 at the top.

Bogus Megapardus
November 16th, 2009, 09:18 AM
I was scouring the internet last night and came across some pics from the LC archive that showed various LC-LU games over the years and one that showed fans bundling in the stands at LC in 1972 watching a "powder puff" football game vs. Lehigh on a day of mixed snow/sleet/rain. Looked like a healthy crowd despite the snow that was falling when the pic was snapped. Can some of the senior elites shed some light on this tradition that isn't anymore. I think I barely recall some comments from some recent alums about it back in my frosh year in 1980 - even thought the game wasn't played that year or any other in my tenure there and after??

This was before there was "Other Stuff To Do" of course; no internet, no cell phones, etc. Heck, I'm only in my 40s. When I was at Lafayette, one had to walk to Marquis Hall to see a television, there was a pay phone down the hall, and the only computers were rudimentary (by today's standards) and were located in the computer lab for scientific/engineering use only. On campus intramural and intrafraternity sports were really big then, too - especially intrafraternity basketball. Today, every dorm room is a friggin' entertainment center. Why would anyone leave to room to do anything else?

Andy
November 16th, 2009, 09:22 AM

2001 very warm
2002 darn cold and windy
2003 very warm
2005 warm
2006 chilly
2007 chilly
2008 damp cold

Last year's weather line--"Temperature: 30 Wind: W/E 10 Weather: Sunny, Cold"

Curley doing a deep freeze on the sideline. We wont be so kind this year.

Pards Rule
November 16th, 2009, 09:29 AM
This was before there was "Other Stuff To Do" of course; no internet, no cell phones, etc. Heck, I'm only in my 40s. When I was at Lafayette, one had to walk to Marquis Hall to see a television, there was a pay phone down the hall, and the only computers were rudimentary (by today's standards) and were located in the computer lab for scientific/engineering use only. On campus intramural and intrafraternity sports were really big then, too - especially intrafraternity basketball. Today, every dorm room is a friggin' entertainment center. Why would anyone leave to room to do anything else?

Wow - I'm in the same category (47 to be exact) but at least we had TVs in the lounge areas of each dorm. WTF were you - Blair?? xlolx

Bogus Megapardus
November 16th, 2009, 09:32 AM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/image.php?u=720&type=sigpic&dateline=1245070899

I love that picture. Doesn't look it like just a nice, inviting place for a friendly game of football? When the time comes, I hope that the who-gets-to-have-a-home-game deciders have a big, 8 x 10 blow up of this.

We need a nickname for our humble gridiron too. The only thing that immediately came to mind was "Fish bowl" but that's a horrible name. Anyone?

Bogus Megapardus
November 16th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Wow - I'm in the same category (47 to be exact) but at least we had TVs in the lounge areas of each dorm. WTF were you - Blair?? xlolx

Easton Hall as a Frosh. No lounge.

EDIT: You know something? I completely forgot about Blair. There was a Blair Hall, wasn't there?

Pard94
November 16th, 2009, 09:52 AM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/image.php?u=720&type=sigpic&dateline=1245070899

I love that picture. Doesn't look it like just a nice, inviting place for a friendly game of football? When the time comes, I hope that the who-gets-to-have-a-home-game deciders have a big, 8 x 10 blow up of this.

We need a nickname for our humble gridiron too. The only thing that immediately came to mind was "Fish bowl" but that's a horrible name. Anyone?

Well...speaking of old times and nick names for the Stadium...since the "Leopard's Lair" is no longer in use...

Pards Rule
November 16th, 2009, 09:52 AM

Pard Palace????

Franks Tanks
November 16th, 2009, 10:04 AM

EDIT: You know something? I completely forgot about Blair. There was a Blair Hall, wasn't there?

I forgot about Blair as well-- had to think about where that was located for a minute.

The building that is now the Pnenning Alumni Center ( at the back of the old gym) used to be Blair Hall. I think it was closed in 2000.

Bogus Megapardus
November 16th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Some stadia just have great nicknames (i.e., The Tub at Delaware). Other nicknames are legendary for different reasons (Multi-Sport Field at Georgetown). Fitton Field at the College of the Holy Cross has a nice ring to it; the monosyllabic Yale Bowl with its conflicting vowels is memorable; and Schoellkopf Field is pronounceable only after a semester of speech therapy.

Leopard's Lair is in first place so far, but we can do better.

Pards Rule
November 16th, 2009, 10:10 AM
I like Leopard's Lair! I remember going there back in the day in the basement of Marquis.

Bogus Megapardus
November 16th, 2009, 10:11 AM
I forgot about Blair as well-- had to think about where that was located for a minute.

The building that is now the Pnenning Alumni Center ( at the back of the old gym) used to be Blair Hall. I think it was closed in 2000.

And there were Squash Courts and Saunas in the sub-basement of Alumni Gym, too. Practically no one knew that.

Pard94
November 16th, 2009, 10:24 AM
And there were Squash Courts and Saunas in the sub-basement of Alumni Gym, too. Practically no one knew that.

And I think there was a Rack and an Iron Maiden too.

Pards Rule
November 16th, 2009, 10:26 AM
And Pard94 put those to good use too!

Bogus Megapardus
November 16th, 2009, 10:28 AM
And I think there was a Rack and an Iron Maiden too.

And Pard94 put those to good use too!

xlolxxnodxxrotatehx

Actually, I had a townie down there one time, but that's a story for another day . . . .

Pard4Life
November 16th, 2009, 10:33 AM
LFN, is your latest blog a joke? Lafayette the evil empire? Give me a break! Who has more resources? Bigger school? Larger alum base? More recent playoff success? Propoganda TV coverage? NOT even CLOSE who the big bad guys are...

Pard94
November 16th, 2009, 10:37 AM
LFN, is your latest blog a joke? Lafayette the evil empire? Give me a break! Who has more resources? Bigger school? Larger alum base? More recent playoff success? Propoganda TV coverage? NOT even CLOSE who the big bad guys are...

I don't even have to read it. It's Lafayette vs. Lehigh week...LFN's blog is a joke.

Pards Rule
November 16th, 2009, 11:23 AM
xlolxxnodxxrotatehx

Actually, I had a townie down there one time, but that's a story for another day . . . .

Please tell!! Townie stories are always interesting!!

65 Pard
November 16th, 2009, 01:12 PM

OK young'uns ....Blair Hall was part of Dorm Row: three similar dorms next to each other of which Blair was one....the bookstore was located in one of these buildings before moving to the basement of South College when they were torn down. They were located between Kirby Dorm and Olin Hall facing the Quad....

Pards Rule
November 16th, 2009, 07:11 PM

GOT IT!! The ParDen!! Thank you - thank you! xbowx

Bogus Megapardus
November 16th, 2009, 07:18 PM

Well played, Pards Rule. The committee informs me that "The ParDen" is in first place.

Can someone top that?

Pard4Life
November 16th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Lehigh Sports Magazine is on right now... WFMZ 69... The Lehigh propoganda station.

Bogus Megapardus
November 16th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Lehigh Sports Magazine is on right now... WFMZ 69... The Lehigh propoganda station.

P4L, you grab the wire cutters and the ski masks. I'll pull the non-descript white van behind the station and meet you there.

Ivytalk
November 16th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Lehigh-Lafayette: on a per capita basis, the most bloviating rivalry in FCS!xcoolx:p

Bogus Megapardus
November 16th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Lehigh-Lafayette: on a per capita basis, the most bloviating rivalry in FCS!xcoolx:p

We of the safety-school league all have massive inferiority complexes, leaving this as one of few opportunities to try to define ourselves. We do so by attempting to exercise superiority over your lesser-played contest. It doesn't always work.

Go...gate
November 16th, 2009, 10:02 PM
We of the Safety School League all have massive inferiority complexes, leaving this as one of few opportunities to try to define ourselves. We do so by attempting to exercise superiority over your lesser-played contest. It doesn't always work.

An intriuging name change. Perhaps another of the logistical revisions contemplated for the Patriot League (along with football scholarships).

ngineer
November 16th, 2009, 10:13 PM

Yes, I was 'present at the creation'. The game between the 'weemin' of both institutions attracted quite a crowd and rowdiness. Played in the stadium of the school that was not hosting "The Game" that year. And the observation about the lack of other distractions is right on. Much more 'human interaction' back then...xnodx

Bogus Megapardus
November 16th, 2009, 10:16 PM
An intriuging name change. Perhaps another of the logistical revisions contemplated for the Patriot League (along with football scholarships).

Just a little self-loathing interlude. I never liked "Patriot League" though. It's sort of pretentious and lame. We ought to be able to come up with something a bit more creative. Why does it have to be a "League" or a "Conference" anyhow? Why can't we name ourselves like rock bands do? You could have the "Northeast Conference" and the "Pioneer League." We could just be "The Beatles" or "AC/DC" or "Radiohead." Or, taking a tip from Robbie Robertson & Co., we could just be "The League."

ngineer
November 16th, 2009, 10:17 PM

Sounds 'Nixonian' to me....;) Sort of like the House of Excuses or Pleas, or better, The 'Nolo Contendre' ...But I guess everyone has a 'parole' to play....

Bogus Megapardus
November 16th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Sounds 'Nixonian' to me....;)

Right? I was thinking before if Richard Milhaus himself had been an alum it would be a perfect fit - with funny caricatures on the ticket stubs and everything.

65 Pard
November 17th, 2009, 05:43 AM
Pard Den....not so much
Leopard's Lair.....much better

Leopard Spot....mmmmm

Wait....Leopard Pit.....conjures up images of bloodbaths at the Coliseum...

Pard94
November 17th, 2009, 07:46 AM
Pard Den....not so much
Leopard's Lair.....much better

Leopard Spot....mmmmm

Wait....Leopard Pit.....conjures up images of bloodbaths at the Coliseum...

Parden...that's just plain stupid. As in team's who play there recieve a ParDen? come on now.

Leopard Spot...to cutesey.

Leopard Pit...sounds tough but there is no such thing as a Leopard Pit in real life. Any leopard who fell into a pit would just jump out. They're excellent jumpers you know.

Leopard's Lair...sounds mysterious and dangerous. I wouldn't want to stumble into any kind of lair let a lone a Leopard's Lair. And unlike a Pit...you get the sense that Leopards like to hang out there. Plus...you can't beat the alliteration.

ngineer
November 17th, 2009, 07:54 AM

And RCN isn't in the tank with Lafayette??xeyebrowx

ngineer
November 17th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Parden...that's just plain stupid. As in team's who play there recieve a ParDen? come on now.

Leopard Spot...to cutesey.

Leopard Pit...sounds tough but there is no such thing as a Leopard Pit in real life. Any leopard who fell into a pit would just jump out. They're excellent jumpers you know.

Leopard's Lair...sounds mysterious and dangerous. I wouldn't want to stumble into any kind of lair let a lone a Leopard's Lair. And unlike a Pit...you get the sense that Leopards like to hang out there. Plus...you can't beat the alliteration.

Sounds like Melvin Lair(d)...the infamous Secretary of Defense under Parden Nixon...;)

ngineer
November 17th, 2009, 08:00 AM
I think Leopard Lounge is more apropos...conjures up a '70's disco lounge with all the hideous noise coming out of the boombox at the western end of the stadium since Lafayette doesn't believe in real football music being played by students, or maybe they can't get enough students interested.

ngineer
November 17th, 2009, 08:06 AM
I am off to WORK now, not abandoning the thread as some have implied...Enjoy your soap operas..xrolleyesx

Franks Tanks
November 17th, 2009, 08:08 AM
I am off to WORK now, not abandoning the thread as some have implied...Enjoy your soap operas..xrolleyesx

Must be nice to leave for the office a 9 AM. I thought you said you work hard xlolx

Pard4Life
November 17th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Must be nice to leave for the office a 9 AM. I though you said you work hard xlolx

He must work for Lehigh...

Pard4Life
November 17th, 2009, 08:23 AM
And RCN isn't in the tank with Lafayette??xeyebrowx

I don't know anyone who gets RCN. The thing is though WFMZ is a news outlet.

Pards Rule
November 17th, 2009, 09:37 AM
ParDen - as in Garden...Or if you prefer, PardDen...Leopards Lair is too wordy, just "The Lair" would be good - although reminds me too much of George W. Bush, the Liar!!

Pard94
November 17th, 2009, 10:11 AM
ParDen - as in Garden...Or if you prefer, PardDen...Leopards Lair is too wordy, just "The Lair" would be good - although reminds me too much of George W. Bush, the Liar!!

"ParDen as in Garden"...oh, now I get it...and I hate it even worse. What about a garden says anything about football to you?? If there was a Lehigh supporter that were even remotely clever the jokes would write themselves (think pansies).

"The Lair" is no doubt what the defacto name of the Leopard's Lair would become...just as Lincoln Financial Field is The Linc or Gillette Stadium is The Razor. I can hear it now, "What time you want to head over to the Lair?". "Just let me chug this last beer and we'll head over to the Lair" or if it is the Lehigh Game..."hey you better pee before heading into the Lair...those Lair bathroom lines are a b*tch". xthumbsupx

ngineer
November 17th, 2009, 10:44 AM
"ParDen as in Garden"...oh, now I get it...and I hate it even worse. What about a garden says anything about football to you?? If there was a Lehigh supporter that were even remotely clever the jokes would write themselves (think pansies).

"The Lair" is no doubt what the defacto name of the Leopard's Lair would become...just as Lincoln Financial Field is The Linc or Gillette Stadium is The Razor. I can hear it now, "What time you want to head over to the Lair?". "Just let me chug this last beer and we'll head over to the Lair" or if it is the Lehigh Game..."hey you better pee before heading into the Lair...those Lair bathroom lines are a b*tch". xthumbsupx

Lunch break...you'd have to be careful to avoid typos between the 'r' and the 'd'...Instead of, "We got game",..."We got laid", or "Didn't the 'pards look laid back today?"....;)

Pard4Life
November 17th, 2009, 10:46 AM
How about "Fisher Stadium?"

Lehigh Football Nation
November 17th, 2009, 10:52 AM
We of the safety-school league all have massive inferiority complexes, leaving this as one of few opportunities to try to define ourselves. We do so by attempting to exercise superiority over your lesser-played contest. It doesn't always work.

Hey - more people across the country are talking about "the Rivalry" than "The Game" this weekend. I guarantee it.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 17th, 2009, 10:54 AM
My vote in the naming of Fisher Field: "The Armpit". xlolx

Pard94
November 17th, 2009, 11:08 AM
My vote in the naming of Fisher Field: "The Armpit". xlolx

I'd stay away from naming current stadiums after body parts if I were you. If Fisher Stadium is the armpit that makes dark, dingy Goodman the...?

Lehigh Football Nation
November 17th, 2009, 11:29 AM
I'd stay away from naming current stadiums after body parts if I were you. If Fisher Stadium is the armpit that makes dark, dingy Goodman the...?

Hawk's Nest?

Pard4Life
November 17th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Hawk's Nest?

The Bird Turd Herd.

Bogus Megapardus
November 17th, 2009, 01:02 PM
That Hawk mascot with the green shoes is hysterical. Looks like he borrowed them from the Phillie Phanatic.

Breathtaking, actually. I shall call them the Saucon Bawkin'.

Pard94
November 17th, 2009, 01:17 PM
That Hawk mascot with the green shoes is hysterical. Looks like he borrowed them from the Phillie Phanatic.

Breathtaking, actually. I shall call them the Saucon Bawkin'.

Do you suppose there's a picture somewhere of the Phanatic running around with brown shoes? Like they mixed up their purchases at the Payless counter?

carney2
November 17th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Hey - more people across the country are talking about "the Rivalry" than "The Game" this weekend. I guarantee it.

As if "the Rivalry" isn't insipid and dull enough, it can't even be spiced up with some upper case letters, such as The Rivalry, or, better yet, THE Rivalry?!?!?!! Oh, LFN-created moniker, thy name is crapola.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 17th, 2009, 02:09 PM
As if "the Rivalry" isn't insipid and dull enough, it can't even be spiced up with some upper case letters, such as The Rivalry, or, better yet, THE Rivalry?!?!?!! Oh, LFN-created moniker, thy name is crapola.

Please carney, just rope in your fellow Pard Larders from using references to Payless and women's fashion for this week, and I'll do the same on the Lehigh side. It really just makes a poor impression on everyone reading about "THE one and only true RIVALRY."

PS. Lafayette sucks.

Pard94
November 17th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Please carney, just rope in your fellow Pard Larders from using references to Payless and women's fashion for this week, and I'll do the same on the Lehigh side. It really just makes a poor impression on everyone reading about "THE one and only true RIVALRY."

PS. Lafayette sucks.

Oh. My. God. Please tell me, LFN, that you are using this phrase only becuase you have seen it used on the old Lehigh board. Please tell me you are not in fact, PardLard...or more specifically the moron that came to be known as Pardlard who would post using my name and hurl desperately lame "insults" at me and Lafayette when I would visit the Lehigh board. I mean real 4th grade level stuff. As it stands I stil have a sintella of respect fo you as, if nothing else, a passionate and articulate supporter of Lehigh and PL football (sans Lafayette). If you are in fact PardLard, however, I would know that you are quite posssibly the lamest internet poster (quite a distinction) I have ever encountred and completely unworthy of even the most basic recognition or attention. There's still hope...please tell me it isn't so.

Franks Tanks
November 17th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Oh. My. God. Please tell me, LFN, that you are using this phrase only becuase you have seen it used on the old Lehigh board. Please tell me you are not in fact, PardLard...or more specifically the moron that came to be known as Pardlard who would post using my name and hurl desperately lame "insults" at me and Lafayette when I would visit the Lehigh board. I mean real 4th grade level stuff. As it stands I stil have a sintella of respect fo you as, if nothing else, a passionate and articulate supporter of Lehigh and PL football (sans Lafayette). If you are in fact PardLard, however, I would know that you are quite posssibly the lamest internet poster (quite a distinction) I have ever encountred and completely unworthy of even the most basic recognition or attention. There's still hope...please tell me it isn't so.

Pard Lard has been outed!

xlolx

Go...gate
November 17th, 2009, 03:22 PM
It is a hoot reading this. You guys have much more imagination than the Yalies or the Crimson. Keep it up.

Bogus Megapardus
November 17th, 2009, 03:32 PM
...just as Lincoln Financial Field is The Linc or Gillette Stadium is The Razor.

This is what I aiming for, P94. A single word, monosyllabic nickname that is derived form something relevant to the team, the field, the college or the city; or a term that is intelligently anti-Lehigh, suggesting that those brown-panted ninnies can never win there.

My favorite FCS nickname is "The Tub." It is short, relevant to the team and the school, easy to say and distinctive. We nee something like that.

Bogus Megapardus
November 17th, 2009, 03:33 PM
It is a hoot reading this. You guys have much more imagination than the Yalies or the Crimson. Keep it up.

Were #2 to the Ivies. We try harder.

Bogus Megapardus
November 17th, 2009, 03:35 PM

We could confuse people and use Greek letters.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 17th, 2009, 03:38 PM

It ain't so. I never post anonymously. But proof that every once in a while a blind squirrel finds an acorn, I actually find the words "Pard" and "Lard" in close proximity to each other quite funny.

On an unrelated note, I think I figured out who posted all those "TOWSON WILL WIN!!! YES! YES! YES!" posts all those years ago on the old Lehigh Voy board. For some inexplicable reason, his misguided Towson optimism (and capital letters) always brings a smile to my face. Only RichH can truly appreciate what I'm talking about.

Franks Tanks
November 17th, 2009, 03:39 PM
It ain't so. I never post anonymously. But proof that every once in a while a blind squirrel finds an acorn, I actually find the words "Pard" and "Lard" in close proximity to each other quite funny.

On an unrelated note, I think I figured out who posted all those "TOWSON WILL WIN!!! YES! YES! YES!" posts all those years ago on the old Lehigh Voy board. For some inexplicable reason, his misguided Towson optimism (and capital letters) always brings a smile to my face. Only RichH can truly appreciate what I'm talking about.

Andy7171?

Bogus Megapardus
November 17th, 2009, 03:40 PM
I never post anonymously.

xnonox Oh, yes you do . . . .

:)

Pard94
November 17th, 2009, 04:30 PM

Well thank god for small miracles. I would point out, however, finding anything that moron said ammusing makes you somewhat guilty by association...and just that much more lame.xrotatehx

Go...gate
November 17th, 2009, 04:38 PM

He was great - Every week, no matter what, he would post - "TOWSON WILL WIN BIG!!!!!"

Another Voyforums poster who comes to mind was Marky D. Lafayette, who ran the numbers ga, I mean pool each week. He was a good guy.

On the other hand, I don't miss Danny Hatred from Fordham.

Pard4Life
November 17th, 2009, 07:37 PM
HA Pard Lard... classy guy.

What's the deal with Minion and Abolish Fordham Football?

Franks Tanks
November 17th, 2009, 07:43 PM
HA Pard Lard... classy guy.

What's the deal with Minion and Abolish Fordham Football?

One mentally disturbed individual

Go...gate
November 17th, 2009, 08:24 PM
What's the deal with Minion and Abolish Fordham Football?[/QUOTE]

Serious problems with these posters. They really hampered the VoyForums PL board.

ngineer
November 17th, 2009, 11:17 PM
This is what I aiming for, P94. A single word, monosyllabic nickname that is derived form something relevant to the team, the field, the college or the city; or a term that is intelligently anti-Lehigh, suggesting that those brown-panted ninnies can never win there.

My favorite FCS nickname is "The Tub." It is short, relevant to the team and the school, easy to say and distinctive. We nee something like that.

I suggest "The John". It was a hell of a crap you guys took last year...:D

Pard4Life
November 17th, 2009, 11:23 PM
I suggest "The John". It was a hell of a crap you guys took last year...:D

Not as bad as you in 2005. It was like a laxative being unleashed!'

Lehigh Football Nation
November 18th, 2009, 08:30 AM
He was great - Every week, no matter what, he would post - "TOWSON WILL WIN BIG!!!!!"

Another Voyforums poster who comes to mind was Marky D. Lafayette, who ran the numbers ga, I mean pool each week. He was a good guy.

On the other hand, I don't miss Danny Hatred from Fordham.

Amen, brother. Some didn't survive the transition to the moderated forums. I didn't mind the Voy forums before, but having a moderated forum is the way to go, IMO. There are times when the anonymous postings are fine, but they got out of hand on the Voy forums.

If it got out Danny Hatred and some of the more virulent haters out there (on all sides) , all the better. xthumbsupx

Lehigh Football Nation
November 18th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Lehigh/Lafayette thread: 2,860 views
Harvard/Yale thread: 265 views

'Nuff said. xthumbsupx

Bogus Megapardus
November 18th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Lehigh/Lafayette thread: 2,860 views
Harvard/Yale thread: 265 views

'Nuff said. xthumbsupx

I have to wonder who, besides Lafayette and Lehigh people (and a smattering of other PLers) actually reads this stuff. I do hope we're sufficiently entertaining.

Pard94
November 18th, 2009, 09:27 AM
I have to wonder who, besides Lafayette and Lehigh people (and a smattering of other PLers) actually reads this stuff. I do hope we're sufficiently entertaining.

I probably account for at least 800 of those views.

crusader11
November 18th, 2009, 11:15 AM
You know, I was just thinking, that if Lehigh had held on to beat Holy Cross a couple weeks ago they would be playing against Lafayette for the PL Championship this weekend. Something kinda crazy to think about considering Lehigh has had a very poor season.

Pard4Life
November 18th, 2009, 12:02 PM
You know, I was just thinking, that if Lehigh had held on to beat Holy Cross a couple weeks ago they would be playing against Lafayette for the PL Championship this weekend. Something kinda crazy to think about considering Lehigh has had a very poor season.

They haven't beaten us lately with the title on the line. Think we'd allow it?

Lehigh Football Nation
November 18th, 2009, 12:03 PM

True that. Another thing to think about is both HC/Lehigh and HC/Lafayette came pretty much down to the final drive, too. Throw Colgate in there too, with close game against Lehihgh and Lafayette... Fordham too... in the preseason folks said there wasn't much separating the top 5 teams, and that Dom was the difference - that really played out in the end.

Pard94
November 18th, 2009, 12:06 PM
True that. Another thing to think about is both HC/Lehigh and HC/Lafayette came pretty much down to the final drive, too. Throw Colgate in there too, with close game against Lehihgh and Lafayette... Fordham too... in the preseason folks said there wasn't much separating the top 5 teams, and that Dom was the difference - that really played out in the end.

You, sir, are officially delusional. You are 3-7. We are 8-2, Holy Cross is 9-0. PLENTY seperated the top from the bottom. You really need to get it through your head. LEHIGH STINKS THIS YEAR. No amount of spin can change that.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 18th, 2009, 12:16 PM
You, sir, are officially delusional. You are 3-7. We are 8-2, Holy Cross is 9-0. PLENTY seperated the top from the bottom. You really need to get it through your head. LEHIGH STINKS THIS YEAR. No amount of spin can change that.

They haven't stunk compared to their peers. They were 5-1, 3-3, 4-2, 3-2 (this year) in league play the last 4 years. That says something. They're horrible OOC and at least average in. That's a fact.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 18th, 2009, 12:18 PM

Not much would officially separate us from you, us, or Colgate. If Lehigh wins this weekend, we'd all be 4-2 in conference, all tied for second place. And with a win against you. xlolx

Franks Tanks
November 18th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Not much would officially separate us from you, us, or Colgate. If Lehigh wins this weekend, we'd all be 4-2 in conference, all tied for second place. And with a win against you. xlolx

You're right. It will be incredibly embaressing to finish anywhere near Lehigh in the final standings.

Pard94
November 18th, 2009, 12:23 PM
They haven't stunk compared to their peers. They were 5-1, 3-3, 4-2, 3-2 (this year) in league play the last 4 years. That says something. They're horrible OOC and at least average in. That's a fact.

When mediocrity becomes the "ideal" for which you strive...your program is in trouble.

Bogus Megapardus
November 18th, 2009, 12:25 PM
When mediocrity becomes the "ideal" for which you strive...your program is in trouble.

Lehigh no longer strives for mediocrity. It is a fully-achieved goal.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 18th, 2009, 12:31 PM

Which is good cause everyone is po'd about the situation so no one is striving for that. You can see that obviously.

I've learned that common sense can not be used when talking about this game. That covers both sides. These arguements have no basis. At least i'm not truly in the middle of it! I'd love to see these sticking points be put up in front of a judge, lol.
xpopcornx

Pard94
November 18th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Which is good cause everyone is po'd about the situation so no one is striving for that. You can see that obviously.

I've learned that common sense can not be used when talking about this game. That covers both sides. These arguements have no basis. At least i'm not truly in the middle of it! I'd love to see these sticking points be put up in front of a judge, lol.
xpopcornx

I accept your surrender.

Pard4Life
November 18th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Hey LFN, that's some nice "journalism" on your blog. Lafayette's "paper" national championship of 1896? If you had actually bothered with research, you would have noticed we beat Penn AT Franklin Field in the middle of a long winning streak. Penn wa champs the year before. After their loss to us, they won something like 27 in a row. I think we rightly earned it.

Also, the Lafayette student newspaper coined the term "Leopards."

Lehigh Football Nation
November 18th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Hey LFN, that's some nice "journalism" on your blog. Lafayette's "paper" national championship of 1896? If you had actually bothered with research, you would have noticed we beat Penn AT Franklin Field in the middle of a long winning streak. Penn wa champs the year before. After their loss to us, they won something like 27 in a row. I think we rightly earned it.

Also, the Lafayette student newspaper coined the term "Leopards."

Since the term "national championship" was a moniker coined by the newspapers at the time (the NY Times I believe?), it was a "paper championship", i.e., no playoffs were used to determine the true national champion. Don't feel bad; I also refer to any of the FBS championships over the past century as "paper championships" too, as well as the BC$ exhibition game at the end of the year.

Wow, a slight that I didn't even mean! Awesome! xlolx

As for the origin of the word "Leopards", my understanding is the Morning Call coined the term, but I could be wrong about that. I'll have to see where I found out that information... xreadx Maybe the Morning Call itself?

Lehigh Football Nation
November 18th, 2009, 01:34 PM
If you had actually bothered with research, you would have noticed we beat Penn AT Franklin Field in the middle of a long winning streak. Penn wa champs the year before. After their loss to us, they won something like 27 in a row. I think we rightly earned it.

Not disputing that you had a great team in 1896 - by fielding ineligible players. xlolx

Franks Tanks
November 18th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Not disputing that you had a great team in 1896 - by fielding ineligible players. xlolx

Yes-- Michigan legend Fielding Yost played for the Leopards that season

Pard4Life
November 18th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Yes-- Michigan legend Fielding Yost played for the Leopards that season

We "borrowed" him for one game. Lehigh's beef was with Babe Reindhart. Yeah... he violated the rules so badly they put him in the CFB HOF. Isn't Joe Knight jealous?

Bogus Megapardus
November 19th, 2009, 07:24 AM
For the record, RichH and/or ngineer are guaranteeing a Brown-Pants win by at least 14 on the Fountain Pigeon Message Board. Just though you should know.

Franks Tanks
November 19th, 2009, 07:33 AM
For the record, RichH and/or ngineer are guaranteeing a Brown-Pants win by at least 14 on the Fountain Pigeon Message Board. Just though you should know.

They also predicted Lehigh would go 9-2 this year xlolx

Pard94
November 19th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Well...here we are 2 days before the big game. I have to say...Lehigh has disappointed thus far when it comes to pregame smack talking. I honestly don't mean this as smack talk in and of itself. It seems to me Lehigh has maybe 5 supporters that are doing all the work this time around. Are things so bleak in Bethlehem that the normally annoyingly vociferous Lehigh supporters are hiding? And I checked the Lehigh board. It's not like there's a ton of banter going on over there either. God forbid you guys actually win the game...I don't want to hear from any silent lurkers out there. I won't even acknowledge anybody who wasn't here throwing down all week. It would be one thing to rub in a win if you were here all week putting your cyber money where your mouth is...when there was something actually at risk. Any trollers who come out after the fact aren't worthy of a response. As it stands...any objective observer would conclude Lafayette currently holds a pregame smack talk lead of like 49-7 and we are deep in the third quarter. What gives Chicken Hawks? I understand your downright fright regarding this game but come on! This is 145 for god's sake. Someone come in and spell your first team for a while. Jeez!

Pard4Life
November 19th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Well...here we are 2 days before the big game. I have to say...Lehigh has disappointed thus far when it comes to pregame smack talking. I honestly don't mean this as smack talk in and of itself. It seems to me Lehigh has maybe 5 supporters that are doing all the work this time around. Are things so bleak in Bethlehem that the normally annoyingly vociferous Lehigh supporters are hiding? And I checked the Lehigh board. It's not like there's a ton of banter going on over there either. God forbid you guys actually win the game...I don't want to hear from any silent lurkers out there. I won't even acknowledge anybody who wasn't here throwing down all week. It would be one thing to rub in a win if you were here all week putting your cyber money where your mouth is...when there was something actually at risk. Any trollers who come out after the fact aren't worthy of a response. As it stands...any objective observer would conclude Lafayette currently holds a pregame smack talk lead of like 49-7 and we are deep in the third quarter. What gives Chicken Hawks? I understand your downright fright regarding this game but come on! This is 145 for god's sake. Someone come in and spell your first team for a while. Jeez!

I can already think of one Lehigh fart who will crawl out from under the bleachers...

Pard4Life
November 19th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Hey LFN, some more "excellent" "journalism" from you today... or should I say last year. It's the same post from the past four seasons. How about we throw a pie in your face if you predict a Lehigh win and you lose +14? (I'm being generous). And to keep in step with your "school," it will be a brown pie... and I'm not thinking chocolate...

Franks Tanks
November 19th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Rich and Ngineer predicting 3TD wins for Lehigh xlolx

Lehigh hasnt beat a team with a winning record all year, but they are going to beat the 8-2 Leopards by 3 TD's..what are you smoking.

Also the vaunted Lehigh defense is still 2nd in the league is point allowed per game.. behind the Leopards. So we give up less points and we score a whole lot more points. But yes you guys will win by 3 TD's xlolx

BloomHusky'01
November 19th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Thanks to some thoughtful 'pard alumni, I am going to be making the trip to Goodman this Saturday for my first Lehigh / Lafayette game. I'm really looking forward to it! I get to a lot of college football games each year, but this will be something very special and I can't wait to experience it.

Who's got some good advice for parking?

Pard94
November 19th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Rich and Ngineer predicting 3TD wins for Lehigh xlolx

Lehigh hasnt beat a team with a winning record all year, but they are going to beat the 8-2 Leopards by 3 TD's..what are you smoking.

Also the vaunted Lehigh defense is still 2nd in the league is point allowed per game.. behind the Leopards. So we give up less points and we score a whole lot more points. But yes you guys will win by 3 TD's xlolx

This is the only game all year I won't get on Rich, Ngineer or LFN for riddiculously baseless homer picks. Not because they aren't just as luddicrous as the rest of their picks. Rather, all is excused during rivalry week. It's almost one's job to be a ridiculous homer this week. That being the case I am going to base my prediction on actual facts combined with the natural homerism of the week. Here's my prediction...

Lafayette - 106
Lehigh - -3

(three points taken off for horrendously ugly uni's, stupid mascot and shabby faciliites)

Pard94
November 19th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Thanks to some thoughtful 'pard alumni, I am going to be making the trip to Goodman this Saturday for my first Lehigh / Lafayette game. I'm really looking forward to it! I get to a lot of college football games each year, but this will be something very special and I can't wait to experience it.

Bring a John Deere to tow your car out of the mud afterwards.

Bogus Megapardus
November 19th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Bring a John Deere to tow your car out of the mud afterwards.

P94, we keep telling you, it's not mud . . .

Bogus Megapardus
November 19th, 2009, 11:32 AM

Just know that the parking is on grass/dirt fields that are affected by the weather. There will be people "directing" cars but they're not very good at it and you won't have much choice of where to park. Wear boots/hiking shoes and warm socks, and get to the area at least 45 minutes in advance. Enjoy the game!

Franks Tanks
November 19th, 2009, 11:45 AM

Lehigh has vast barren fields for parking so no issue..they will direct you to a spot unless you have some sort of special parking pass. Try coming in the "back way" to Goodman through Hellertown-- it is less used. You can get off the 78 exit at Hellertown and slink in (GPS should direct you)

Pard4Life
November 19th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Lehigh has vast barren fields for parking so no issue..they will direct you to a spot unless you have some sort of special parking pass. Try coming in the "back way" to Goodman through Hellertown-- it is less used. You can get off the 78 exit at Hellertown and slink in (GPS should direct you)

I hate GPS... the secret paths are no longer hidden.

Pards Rule
November 19th, 2009, 12:58 PM

Welcome to the Game Husky. A suggestion on hotel rooms: Im staying at the brand new Hyatt Place (opened Oct. 1, 2009) in downtown Bethlehem. www.hyattplace.com....

ngineer
November 19th, 2009, 01:02 PM
We "borrowed" him for one game. Lehigh's beef was with Babe Reindhart. Yeah... he violated the rules so badly they put him in the CFB HOF. Isn't Joe Knight jealous?

No Lehigh's beef was with Barclay who had played semi-pro baseball. The dispute led to the cancellation of both games in 1896.xreadx

ngineer
November 19th, 2009, 01:03 PM

Not I. I am calling a Lehigh win, but not by 14.xnodx

ngineer
November 19th, 2009, 01:12 PM

If you're coming I-78, plan to get there early. The line coming off I-78 can be horrendous for this game. For those local, tis better to find the various 'back ways' to Goodman through Bethelehm Township, Williams Township, or the City, itself. From the west, getting onto Emmaus Avenue heading east will bring you into the City and follow signs for Goodman.

IF coming east bound I-78, make a LEFT at the light at end of ramp. Go to next light (Crossroads Hotel) and make a RIGHT. Follow across bridge to "T" intersection and make a RIGHT then a Left and you'll see the Stadium. Only Parking Pass holders can get in off of Creek Road, so if you see people going the opposite direction at the "T" that is why.

ngineer
November 19th, 2009, 01:14 PM

Looks to me as you only have 4-5 same guys who just seem to have more time on your hands...;)

Bogus Megapardus
November 19th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Not I. I am calling a Lehigh win, but not by 14.xnodx

See that? ngineer thinks his silly cheerleading squad is going to win by more than 14. If this doesn't provide motivation, I don't know what does. I say we pitch a shutout. They deserve it, after all that two-win, "Lehigh shows it can play" crap.

Pard94
November 19th, 2009, 01:16 PM
No Lehigh's beef was with Barclay who had played semi-pro baseball. The dispute led to the cancellation of both games in 1896.xreadx

Lehigh always has some "beef". Bunch of babies.

ngineer
November 19th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Guess you have short term memory problems from the late '90's when all the pussy alumni wanted to cancel the series...There has never been such whining.

As for the game, Lehigh will win on it's defense. Leading the nation with sacks, I expect Coach K to have another good scheme to unravel Curley, similar to the havoc wrought upon Randolph and Skelton. I expect the Laughters to try and run with short quick passes to counter the blitz, so it will be a good chess game to see who is out guessing who. Actually, I recall predicting a Lehigh win, but by 34-31 in two overtimes....;)

Pard94
November 19th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Looks to me as you only have 4-5 same guys who just seem to have more time on your hands...;)

Actually on this particular thread we are beating you 10 unique posters to 6. You have 11,000 students. We have 2,100. For shame.

ngineer
November 19th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Sorry I cannot stay all day and chat...Have some clients to attend to, and then off the pep rally for our seniors. Tomorrow's L-L Luncheon for the seniors is always cool. Also honoring 50 year game attendees...I'm up to 39.

Pard94
November 19th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Guess you have short term memory problems from the late '90's when all the pussy alumni wanted to cancel the series...There has never been such whining.

As for the game, Lehigh will win on it's defense. Leading the nation with sacks, I expect Coach K to have another good scheme to unravel Curley, similar to the havoc wrought upon Randolph and Skelton. I expect the Laughters to try and run with short quick passes to counter the blitz, so it will be a good chess game to see who is out guessing who. Actually, I recall predicting a Lehigh win, but by 34-31 in two overtimes....;)

Either I suffer from short term memory as you suggest or you suffer from revisionist history because I don't remember a single Lafayette alum suggesting we cancel the series with you...and my brother was playing for the Leopards at that point so I would certainly of been aware of such news. Why, at our lowest period when we had nothing else to look forward to, would we want to cancel the series with you??? That makes no sense? Because we were so afraid of you? Becuase we didn't think we stood a chance to beat you??? You've got to be kidding. Once again you need to get over yourself. Keep in mind the team was still coached by Frank Tavani. Not a guy known for his timid disposition. No...it was Lehigh, who had a small but vocal minority who were convinced they were above little old Lafayette. I'm convinced these are probably the same people who have long since gone into hiding.

Pard94
November 19th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Sorry I cannot stay all day and chat...Have some clients to attend to, and then off the pep rally for our seniors. Tomorrow's L-L Luncheon for the seniors is always cool. Also honoring 50 year game attendees...I'm up to 39.

We accept your surrender.

Pard4Life
November 19th, 2009, 01:58 PM

Thank technology; this PDA allows me to post during PennDOT work breaks... sorry it took 4 years to complete the Turnpike widening and as long for NE Extension work, but trashing Lehigh is more important.

Bogus Megapardus
November 19th, 2009, 02:09 PM
One good thing about a Lafayette education is that I'm the boss and I can post whenever I like.

letsgopards04
November 19th, 2009, 02:25 PM
One good thing about a Lafayette education is that I'm the boss and I can post whenever I like.

Another good thing about a Lafayette education is that my Leopard connections got me a cool job where my boss doesn't care what I do.

letsgopards04
November 19th, 2009, 02:26 PM
We accept your surrender.

Closing in on 1000 posts Pard. Let's see it today. How many of those came from this thread?xbowx

Franks Tanks
November 19th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Another good thing about a Lafayette education is that my Leopard connections got me a cool job where my boss doesn't care what I do.

I also work independantly. My boss doesnt care what I do and I am not concerned about getting fired..I have all day

Leopard's Claw
November 19th, 2009, 04:25 PM
From Keith Groller, Lehigh beat writer for the "Morning Call" (local newspapaer):

http://blogs.mcall.com/groller/2009/11/tour-of-lafayette-fieldhouse-was-awesome.html

ngineer
November 19th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Actually on this particular thread we are beating you 10 unique posters to 6. You have 11,000 students. We have 2,100. For shame.

WTF? Where does that come from. Lehigh has about 4,600 undergrads, and unfortunately, more and more of them have become geeks. I'm tired of this "we have an incoming class averaging 1380 on their SATs" crap. Give me B+ students who know how to work their asses off! I digress...:o

Bogus Megapardus
November 19th, 2009, 04:42 PM
From Keith Groller, Lehigh beat writer for the "Morning Call" (local newspapaer):

http://blogs.mcall.com/groller/2009/11/tour-of-lafayette-fieldhouse-was-awesome.html

This article has been rubbed into the Brown and White faithful pretty good so far. It was posted in response to the assertion that Fisher Field is an "armpit" and that Lehigh's facilities, including its magnificent scoreboard, are the envy of the nation by comparison.

Funny, but no one seems to agree with them.

Bogus Megapardus
November 19th, 2009, 04:46 PM
WTF? Where does that come from. Lehigh has about 4,600 undergrads, and unfortunately, more and more of them have become geeks. I'm tired of this "we have an incoming class averaging 1380 on their SATs" crap. Give me B+ students who know how to work their asses off! I digress...:o

Your numbers are completely wrong. In size and in reputation, Lehigh is comparable to a second rate state school. Everyone knows that; where have you been lately?

ngineer
November 19th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Either I suffer from short term memory as you suggest or you suffer from revisionist history because I don't remember a single Lafayette alum suggesting we cancel the series with you...and my brother was playing for the Leopards at that point so I would certainly of been aware of such news. Why, at our lowest period when we had nothing else to look forward to, would we want to cancel the series with you??? That makes no sense? Because we were so afraid of you? Becuase we didn't think we stood a chance to beat you??? You've got to be kidding. Once again you need to get over yourself. Keep in mind the team was still coached by Frank Tavani. Not a guy known for his timid disposition. No...it was Lehigh, who had a small but vocal minority who were convinced they were above little old Lafayette. I'm convinced these are probably the same people who have long since gone into hiding.

I can name you a half dozen off the top who suggested the series was 'out of hand' and should close. Several were my partners in a now defunct law firm! Another was a judge. I never heard such sniveling in my life back then, as I took their money every third weekend in November..

Bogus Megapardus
November 19th, 2009, 04:51 PM
I can name you a half dozen off the top who suggested the series was 'out of hand' and should close. Several were my partners in a now defunct law firm! Another was a judge. I never heard such sniveling in my life back then, as I took their money every third weekend in November..

Typical attorney - when the facts are completely against you, argue the law.

ngineer
November 19th, 2009, 04:51 PM
This article has been rubbed into the Brown and White faithful pretty good so far. It was posted in response to the assertion that Fisher Field is an "armpit" and that Lehigh's facilities, including its magnificent scoreboard, are the envy of the nation by comparison.

Funny, but no one seems to agree with them.

No question your new field house is classy. Most new buildings are if done right. But as for the stadiums, I'll still take Goodman with natural grass and a beautiful setting. That is just a matter of taste and pure subjectivity, but to each their own.

ngineer
November 19th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Typical attorney - when the facts are completely against you, argue the law.

Now, that, is true. But my there are more than a few Leopard alums who are now embarrassed that they were jumping ship when the S.S. 'Pard was listing badly. Too many 'frontrunners'...

Off to the pep rally. I'll put in a good word for you guys..

Bogus Megapardus
November 19th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Now, that, is true. But my there are more than a few Leopard alums who are now embarrassed that they were jumping ship when the S.S. 'Pard was listing badly. Too many 'frontrunners'...

Off to the pep rally. I'll put in a good word for you guys..

While you're there, just be reminded that Lehigh will lose this weekend in a most hurtful and unprecedented fashion. Just a thought to pep rally by.

Go...gate
November 19th, 2009, 05:25 PM

A Colgate education confers a similar benefit, though it has been a wild day. Glad to see the L-L smackdown is heating up.....xnodxxrotatehx

Bogus Megapardus
November 19th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Glad to see the L-L smackdown is heating up.....xnodxxrotatehx

It's at the point where we are entitled simply to make stuff up, provided it speaks ill of that cesspool festering at the anal end of the Lafayette Valley. And trust me, the sphincter will be in full clamp-down mode this weekend.

Franks Tanks
November 19th, 2009, 06:34 PM

Since half the judges in Northampton County are Lafayette Grads you must have encountered them a lot.

Also swings happen in rivalries. Alabama lost to Auburn 6 times in a row from 02 to 07 and Army has lost to Navy about 10 times in a row. Does anyone state that those rivalries should be suspended...please. Many of those 7 in a row included miracle comebacks by Lehigh as well.