PDA

View Full Version : Average Attendance YTD

ASU_MBA
November 9th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Not sure if this is posted anywhere, I saw this on the Mountaineer Message Board and thought it was interesting. This will have an impact on seeds, playoff spots and hosting games, etc.

Another reason that I think if App wins out they get a seed and SC State will host a game.

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2009/Internet/attendance/FCS_AVGATTENDANCE.pdf

89Hen
November 9th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Interesting that only 3 of the top 10 will be in the playoffs. xeyebrowx

mcveyrl
November 9th, 2009, 02:10 PM

Yep, but I couldn't be happier of where we are considering the year we've had.xthumbsupx

ASU_MBA
November 9th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Thought---with Liberty's average attendance, if they get in the playoffs you guys think they could host a game?

mcveyrl
November 9th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Thought---with Liberty's average attendance, if they get in the playoffs you guys think they could host a game?

I think they're too close to potential seeds for that to happen.

See JMU in '06.

NDB
November 9th, 2009, 02:15 PM
NDSU - best attendance of any team with 2 wins!

WestCoastAggie
November 9th, 2009, 02:20 PM

The Flames put up at least $60,000.

knucklehead
November 9th, 2009, 02:23 PM

4 of the top 11 though! xlolx

knucklehead
November 9th, 2009, 02:25 PM

I doubt they would give us a home game even with $$$ added because of the seeded teams nearby. It would be rockin in Williams Stadium though! Maybe they should wait to tear down the press box and start construction till we know for sure though, haha.

Keenan
November 9th, 2009, 02:25 PM
xpopcornx

mcveyrl
November 9th, 2009, 02:26 PM
I think they're too close to potential seeds for that to happen.

See JMU in '06.

I should amend that and say that if Richmond is a seed, they won't. They will go to Richmond, but I think they are far enough away from other seeds for it to be possible they'll get a home game. I'm guessing that SCSU is closer to Boone and Elon, but geography ain't my thing.

jcmanson
November 9th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Our students wouldn't be there for the first round so I'm not sure we could guarantee 14,000+ (see Elon game 2008).

ASU_MBA
November 9th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Did not want to hijack it as a Liberty home game thread....it was just interesting, congrats on the great attendance LU....How about old dominion in the first year of football?

knucklehead
November 9th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Yea, I was shocked with ODU'2 #s as well. Impressive. It will be interesting to see if that continues as they settle in as a program.

fantheflames71
November 9th, 2009, 02:46 PM
This will be the last time for a while were high on that list, however. No way we go above capacity next year with the expansion.

jcmanson
November 9th, 2009, 02:49 PM
This will be the last time for a while were high on that list, however. No way we go above capacity next year with the expansion.

It's sorted by average attendance. We should only go higher.

SuperJon
November 9th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Uh, we're not even gonna try to have a home game if we make the playoffs. It's impossible to have a playoff game without a press box.

mcveyrl
November 9th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Uh, we're not even gonna try to have a home game if we make the playoffs. It's impossible to have a playoff game without a press box.

Really? I hadn't heard that. Does that mean they're not even going to put in a bid?

ASUG8
November 9th, 2009, 03:09 PM

We did it with some temporary boxes last season.

JSUBison
November 9th, 2009, 03:43 PM
NDSU - best attendance of any team with 2 wins!

Jackson State will likely jump NDSU for 8th, as they still have their classic with Alcorn coming up. But it's good to see that we're still averaging 17+ this season.

theasushow
November 9th, 2009, 03:45 PM
wow that's a big drop off after asu and Montana.

Chi Panther
November 9th, 2009, 04:21 PM
11K for UNI last week hurts.....doesn't help with Iowa and ISU also hosting games same day....

Saluki09
November 9th, 2009, 04:29 PM
And then there is SIU... ranked #1 on TSN and AGS, and we are #38 in attendance. We are behind ALL other Illinois FCS schools. Eastern Illinois, Illinois State, and even last place Western Illinois all have better attendance. I hate that this is still a basketball town when the basketball team hasn't done anything the past two years and our football team has made the playoffs every year since 2003.

SuperJon
November 9th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Really? I hadn't heard that. Does that mean they're not even going to put in a bid?

Yeah, we're not even making a bid.

knucklehead
November 9th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Yeah, we're not even making a bid.

Yea. They'll need all the time they can get to finish all that work.

Aho_Old_Guy
November 9th, 2009, 06:03 PM
The Appalachian game should increase Elon's average attendance 22.68%, raise their Accumulated % Capacity from 76.08 to 93.33, and bump them 7 places in the attendance standings.

Appalachian Fans: "Give-Give-Give. Never Take." :D

Rekdiver
November 9th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Gosh if we have to go to Liberty for a playoff game I'm not sure we can even drink a carbonated beverage.......

ASU_MBA
November 9th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Gosh if we have to go to Liberty for a playoff game I'm not sure we can even drink a carbonated beverage.......

This made me laugh..... xlolx

A+

Ivytalk
November 9th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Penn's above 10,000? Thanks to Nova, no doubt. Penn fans couldn't fill a backyard pool.xrolleyesx

Green and Yellow
November 11th, 2009, 10:55 AM
And then there is SIU... ranked #1 on TSN and AGS, and we are #38 in attendance. We are behind ALL other Illinois FCS schools. Eastern Illinois, Illinois State, and even last place Western Illinois all have better attendance. I hate that this is still a basketball town when the basketball team hasn't done anything the past two years and our football team has made the playoffs every year since 2003.

Yeah that is pretty sad. For as good of a team as you guys have, the fb team deserves some support.

AppStsGr8
November 11th, 2009, 11:38 AM
I'm surprised to see Richmond at not quite 41% of capacity. Is that correct?

Also, pleasantly surprised by ODU's numbers.

JMU DUUUKES LAW
November 11th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Geez Richmond is so sad - 40% capacity average. Fan base is such a joke

Saint3333
November 11th, 2009, 12:03 PM
I'm not surprised at ODU's attendance. They had ~10K season tickets sold to watch them play sisters of the poor, wait until they start playing a full scholarship schedule.

With the support they have and the recruiting area to work with, that program is going to be a top 10 team in 2-3 years. I predict they have at least a semifinal appearance by 2013.

tribe_pride
November 11th, 2009, 01:50 PM
I'm not surprised at ODU's attendance. They had ~10K season tickets sold to watch them play sisters of the poor, wait until they start playing a full scholarship schedule.

With the support they have and the recruiting area to work with, that program is going to be a top 10 team in 2-3 years. I predict they have at least a semifinal appearance by 2013.

Please don't say this to an ODU guy. It has already gone to many of their heads.

They will not be top 10 in 2 to 3 years nor will they reach the semis by 2013 but it may not be that much further out than that (not an insult to ODU - it's just a new program and it takes time). Remember this is a 1st year program with only recruited Frosh and Sophs (all considered Frosh playingwise) on the team. A 1st year Senior class will not be top 10 in the country. Right now, they are too small and their seniors will not grow that much to compete with the top teams that quickly.

That said, within a few years after that, watch out. They are in a great recruiting area, will get thrown to the wolves with some tough competition in the CAA in a few years which will help improvement, and are investing the resources. I think you are right where they will be but I think your timeline is too quick.

ur2k
November 11th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Geez Richmond is so sad - 40% capacity average. Fan base is such a joke

Will it make you happy next year when we have 100% of capacity? What's the joke? We are a school of 2900 students. What part don't you get?

JMUNJ08
November 11th, 2009, 02:15 PM
I'm surprised to see Richmond at not quite 41% of capacity. Is that correct?

Also, pleasantly surprised by ODU's numbers.

Yep, Large stadium away from campus with a small student population = 41%.

Saint3333
November 11th, 2009, 02:51 PM
ODU recruiting:

2008 - (17 players) 5 two star recruits and one 3 star with offers from CAA and some FBS schools (like ECU, Mizz, Buffalo,

2009 - (17 players) 4 two star recruits and one 3 star with offers from CAA and some FBS schools

ODU has the following 2010 commitments:

DE with offers from Delaware, Richmond, and UVA
QB with interest from Maryland and Marshall

2012 will be the first senior class with the full amount of scholarship ODU team and I would not be surprised to see them in the top 10 based on the talent pulled in so far. They are beating prominent FCS and lower to mid tier FBS members for players.

AppStsGr8
November 11th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Yep, Large stadium away from campus with a small student population = 41%.

Thanks. I knew UR was small. I enjoyed playing water polo tournaments there when I was in school. I didn't realize their football stadium was away from campus though. Is their fan base also spread all over the place too far from UR to come to games?

bostonspider
November 11th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Younger Richmond alums have a tendency to move far away from campus, with many now in the metro areas of S.F., Boston, NYC, and Philly. There are still a nice amount of alums in Richmond, as well as DC, but with only 700 graduates every year it is a tough slog to try and come close to filling UR Stadium, and non alum locals seem too fixiated on UVA and VaTech. Interesting that UR's "average" attendance is almost exactly the amount the new stadium will hold. Most on the UR board think this is a pretty strange "coincidence".

mcveyrl
November 11th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Thanks. I knew UR was small. I enjoyed playing water polo tournaments there when I was in school. I didn't realize their football stadium was away from campus though. Is their fan base also spread all over the place too far from UR to come to games?

That's part of the problem. There is generally, for whatever reason, just not a ton of interest in football in the Richmond area either. I think many of their sports fans think of them as a basketball school first, but that's just the feel I get.

It doesn't help that there was never a ton of parking around City Stadium. The on-campus facility, reasonably sized will do a lot for them I think.

South Carolina Duke
November 11th, 2009, 09:02 PM
ODU recruiting:

2008 - (17 players) 5 two star recruits and one 3 star with offers from CAA and some FBS schools (like ECU, Mizz, Buffalo,

2009 - (17 players) 4 two star recruits and one 3 star with offers from CAA and some FBS schools

ODU has the following 2010 commitments:

DE with offers from Delaware, Richmond, and UVA
QB with interest from Maryland and Marshall

2012 will be the first senior class with the full amount of scholarship ODU team and I would not be surprised to see them in the top 10 based on the talent pulled in so far. They are beating prominent FCS and lower to mid tier FBS members for players.

Don't buy into to all this hype. No one knows the quality of a player until they play.

The big draw initially for some of these kids is that by going to ODU, they will get to play immediately and not have to sit out down the depth chart. Plus if they are from the 757 they can play in their backyards.

darell1976
November 12th, 2009, 06:46 AM
We would be #42 behind Elon and ahead of Villanova. But 69% capacity is horrible it didn't help that 2 of our home games were against NAIA teams and Cal Poly was in the afternoon on Halloween...nice scheduling idiots.

93henfan
November 12th, 2009, 07:21 AM

I agree Saint. I don't understand the hedging, particularly from the fans of the other Virginia schools.

Sure, the CAA is a tough conference, but the way ODU is progressing I don't see them hitting a roadblock in their progression. The first year of CAA competition will be a shock, but by the fifth year of play they may very well be a playoff-caliber team. Semifinals is a bold prediction, but I'll confidently predict a playoff appearance by 2013. ODU means business, and they have the resources and fan support to back it up. Their recruiting has been impressive and they are in a hotbed for talent.

ToTheLeft
November 12th, 2009, 07:24 AM
I agree Saint. I don't understand the hedging, particularly from the fans of the other Virginia schools.

Sure, the CAA is a tough conference, but the way ODU is progressing I don't see them hitting a roadblock in their progression. The first year of CAA competition will be a shock, but by the fifth year of play they may very well be a playoff-caliber team. Semifinals is a bold prediction, but I'll confidently predict a playoff appearance by 2013. ODU means business, and they have the resources and fan support to back it up. Their recruiting has been impressive and they are in a hotbed for talent.

Which is why many of us in Lynchburg want to see a LU/ODU series get started... Big recruiting implications in that game, too.

Go Apps
November 12th, 2009, 07:46 AM
ASU's attendance would have been much higher but every home game this year has been met w/ mostly rainy conditions

mcveyrl
November 12th, 2009, 07:58 AM

I agree. At first I was skeptical, but they do appear to be progressing more like USF than, say, Coastal (sorry Chants fans, no disrespect meant you were just the most recent example)

The Moody1
November 12th, 2009, 08:01 AM
ASU's attendance would have been much higher but every home game this year has been met w/ mostly rainy conditions

The weather was beautiful for the McNeese game, but other than that you are right.

Grabholdofyosef
November 12th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Not sure if this is posted anywhere, I saw this on the Mountaineer Message Board and thought it was interesting. This will have an impact on seeds, playoff spots and hosting games, etc.

Another reason that I think if App wins out they get a seed and SC State will host a game.

Is attendance used when deciding seeds or at large teams? I didnt think it was.

Franks Tanks
November 12th, 2009, 08:45 AM
Is attendance used when deciding seeds or at large teams? I didnt think it was.

No, but it can play a factor in who gets home games (i.e. who feels comfortable bidding on a playoff game due to strong attendance)

AppMan
November 12th, 2009, 08:55 AM

After the revelation by Sam Baker that GSU's stadium actually only sits 14,000, shouldn't their numbers be adjusted somewhat?