PDA

View Full Version : McNeese St. @ Texas St.

Prominentwon
November 9th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Big game for both.

What to expect? I keep hearing that Texas St. has issues vs. the run. McNeese ran for over 400 yards on Sam Houston St last week with Todd Pendland returning strong from his groin issue for 171 yards and 4 TD's. (I hope the injury issue goes by the wayside when the voters are considering the players for the Payton award) McNeese is now leading the nation in scoring offense.

I haven't gotten to see much, if any, of Texas St. Since Bush is hurt, how has their running game stepped up? Bradley George has been a thorn in McNeese's side since he's been there.

El Gato
November 9th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Texas State has pretty muched been one dimensional with the loss of Bush. Over 300 yards passing against UCa but something like 50 yards rushing. Alvin Cannady is a great back, but without Bush, the RB corp has taken a huge hit, really forcing Bradley George to step up.

DG Cowboy
November 9th, 2009, 01:24 PM
With Tx State having 3 wins in the last 4 games against McNeese, we have our work cut out for us in San Marcos. Bradley George has just zapped us so far, and isn't his little receiver from last year who had a career night in Cowboy Stadium back also? If Tx St can't stop the run, and we can't stop the pass, then the TxSt-SLU game may have been a low-scoring affair.

McNeese75
November 9th, 2009, 02:33 PM
With Tx State having 3 wins in the last 4 games against McNeese, we have our work cut out for us in San Marcos. Bradley George has just zapped us so far, and isn't his little receiver from last year who had a career night in Cowboy Stadium back also? If Tx St can't stop the run, and we can't stop the pass, then the TxSt-SLU game may have been a low-scoring affair.

That "little" receiver you are asking about was not so little and his name is Cameron Luke. And he is gone!

Last year George, Luke and Bush were the mainstays of the Cat offense. This year only George will be on the field Saturday. Of course Stephen Whitehead will not be there either but Penland will.

SM_Bobcat
November 9th, 2009, 02:40 PM
That "little" receiver you are asking about was not so little and his name is Cameron Luke. And he is gone!

Last year George, Luke and Bush were the mainstays of the Cat offense. This year only George will be on the field Saturday. Of course Stephen Whitehead will not be there either but Penland will.

Cam Luke is gone, but we might have a better and deeper WR corps than last year.

Our top returning WR from last year Mishak Rivas seems to finally be healthy after he battled injury issues most of the first part of the season, and that is not counting Demarcus Griggs who is on pace to catch more balls this year that Cam Luke Caught last year. As well as still having Darren Dillard who stepped up huge against UCA when Griggs went down. No word yet on if Griggs will be able to play.

McNeese75
November 9th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Cam Luke is gone, but we might have a better and deeper WR corps than last year.

Our top returning WR from last year Mishak Rivas seems to finally be healthy after he battled injury issues most of the first part of the season, and that is not counting Demarcus Griggs who is on pace to catch more balls this year that Cam Luke Caught last year. As well as still having Darren Dillard who stepped up huge against UCA when Griggs went down. No word yet on if Griggs will be able to play.

It is obvious there are plenty of targets for BG to throw to based on the passing production he has enjoyed.

Although the Cats do still have some nice running backs, I for one am not sorry that KB will not be on the field Saturday (no ill will intended to the young man for going down with the knee injury earlier). It will IMO make Tx State more one-dimensional although that may not necessarily be a good thing.

SM_Bobcat
November 9th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Big game for both.

What to expect? I keep hearing that Texas St. has issues vs. the run. McNeese ran for over 400 yards on Sam Houston St last week with Todd Pendland returning strong from his groin issue for 171 yards and 4 TD's. (I hope the injury issue goes by the wayside when the voters are considering the players for the Payton award) McNeese is now leading the nation in scoring offense.

I haven't gotten to see much, if any, of Texas St. Since Bush is hurt, how has their running game stepped up? Bradley George has been a thorn in McNeese's side since he's been there.

Without Bush, the running game has struggled some, but it wasn't until SFA and UCA that we have been unable to run the ball at all. A big key to the game will probably be your defenses ability to stop our running game, as we will still keep tring to run the football.

If ya'll are able to shutdown our running game like UCA and SFA did, then our offense will not be near as explosive. However, if we are able to have a semblance of a running game, even if we are not getting the huge plays out of it like we did with Bush, our offense will be able to run on all cylinders again.

Our run D is definately the weakness of our D. But what we still do do a very good job at, is giving up yards but limiting points, especially the last few weeks. A big key to this game, IMHO may end up being which strength wins out. Your strength, is scoring TD's once you get into the red zone, we have the second best red zone defense in the league, and only allow TD's to be scored once in the red zone on fewer than 70% of the possessions. And for what ever the reason, be it a good field goal rush, or just being jinxed, FG kickers have struggled to make their FG's against us, even in the red zone converting on just 4 of 9 FG attempts in the redzone.

McNeese75
November 9th, 2009, 03:10 PM
We don't kick field goals in the Red Zone, we score TD's xlolx

Our rush defense has been getting better so trying to throttle the Cat rushing game will be an interesting development on Saturday.

SM_Bobcat
November 9th, 2009, 03:18 PM
We don't kick field goals in the Red Zone, we score TD's xlolx

That is what I am getting at, one of your strengths on offense is scoring TD's not settling for FG's in the redzone. One of our strengths on defense is forcing teams to settle for FG's in the redzone, not score TD's. Which of the teams strengths will win out, IMHO will go a long way to determining which team wins the game....

If we are able to hold ya'll to two or three FG attempts instead of getting TD's on drives, advantage Texas State, and we have a good chance at getting the W. If ya'll score TD's on most of your drives and don't have to settle for FG attempts, advantage McNeese and ya'll will probably win the game.

That is unless those pesky turnovers get in the way....

SM_Bobcat
November 9th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Our rush defense has been getting better so trying to throttle the Cat rushing game will be an interesting development on Saturday.

throttling the Cat rushing game without KB shouldn't be an issue. The question is can you shut down the cat rushing game like UCA and SFA did. If you do, we will not be able to win a shoot out. However, if the running game is able to atleast be respectable and average about 4 yards per carry, then our offense is much more dangerous.

Against SFA and UCA we averaged 1.6 and 2.2 yards per carry respectively. If you are able to completely shut down our running game like that, we are in trouble against as high of scoring offense as ya'll possess.

txst80
November 9th, 2009, 04:23 PM
I see both George and Pendland having huge games. I'm expecting George to throw at will against the Mcneese secondary (hopefully we will still be able to move the ball on the ground). I'm expecting Pendland to rush for 150 yards. Both teams are gonna be playing all out in this one. This is the most important game of the season and the players know it.

The loser in this game will still score 35 points.

LIONFAN85
November 9th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Well I haven't seen that stats but Texas State had to stop two good backs this past week in Cesar and Grimes. They looked pretty good against us.

txst80
November 9th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Well I haven't seen that stats but Texas State had to stop two good backs this past week in Cesar and Grimes. They looked pretty good against us.

Grimes ran all over us. We held Ceasar in check, but Grimes single-handedly kept that game close.

McNeese75
November 9th, 2009, 04:50 PM
That is what I am getting at, one of your strengths on offense is scoring TD's not settling for FG's in the redzone. One of our strengths on defense is forcing teams to settle for FG's in the redzone, not score TD's. Which of the teams strengths will win out, IMHO will go a long way to determining which team wins the game....

If we are able to hold ya'll to two or three FG attempts instead of getting TD's on drives, advantage Texas State, and we have a good chance at getting the W. If ya'll score TD's on most of your drives and don't have to settle for FG attempts, advantage McNeese and ya'll will probably win the game.

xeekx Hush yo mouth!!!!!! xlolx

McNeese72
November 9th, 2009, 06:37 PM
I see both George and Pendland having huge games. I'm expecting George to throw at will against the Mcneese secondary (hopefully we will still be able to move the ball on the ground). I'm expecting Pendland to rush for 150 yards. Both teams are gonna be playing all out in this one. This is the most important game of the season and the players know it.

Better not forget about Derrick. On second thought, don't worry about Derrick running. ;)

Doc

SM_Bobcat
November 10th, 2009, 08:28 AM

xeekx Hush yo mouth!!!!!! xlolx

Ya'll are not the only ones that have had a few games where those darn turnovers got in the way....

El Gato
November 10th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Better not forget about Derrick. On second thought, don't worry about Derrick running. ;)

Doc

I was about to mention that. Not only have running backs been having a field day against our D, but so have QB with any sort of wheels on them. SELA's and TSU's QB's were able to make some big plays just taking off with the ball themselves. All I could think about was Derrick Fourroux just having a grand ol time against our D. Not to mention he did a great job as a receiver as well, catching the winning TD pass against SELA with 40 second left to play a couple of weeks ago.

That multiple threats your QB has is what really worries me about this game.

McNeese72
November 10th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Not to mention he did a great job as a receiver as well, catching the winning TD pass against SELA with 40 second left to play a couple of weeks ago.

????? I'm not following that statement. Against SLU, Derrick threw the winning TD pass to WR Richard Conner.

Doc

El Gato
November 10th, 2009, 08:19 PM
????? I'm not following that statement. Against SLU, Derrick threw the winning TD pass to WR Richard Conner.

Doc

Hmmm...maybe a mistake, I got it from here:

Derrick Fourroux catches a 5-yard TD to give McNeese a 36-35 win over Southeastern Louisiana
McNeese State edges Southeastern Louisiana 36-35

LAKE CHARLES, La. — Derrick Fourroux caught a 5-yard touchdown pass from Richard Conner with 40 seconds to go and McNeese State defeated Southeastern Louisiana 36-35 on Saturday night...
http://blog.taragana.com/sports/2009/10/24/derrick-fourroux-catches-a-5-yard-td-to-give-mcneese-a-36-35-win-over-southeastern-louisiana-40545/

McNeese75
November 10th, 2009, 08:33 PM

He is good, but not quite that good, xlolx

JohnStOnge
November 10th, 2009, 08:38 PM
I think McNeese is defintely the underdog in this game but that does not mean the Cowboys can't win. Can't have a bunch of penalties like they did against SFA, though, and have a shot. Just have to hope they play a minimal mistakes football game.

I want to see them play their best game. If they play their best game and lose, so be it. But I do hope I don't see something like a bunch of penalties and/or turnovers.

txst80
November 10th, 2009, 08:43 PM
I think McNeese is defintely the underdog in this game but that does not mean the Cowboys can't win. Can't have a bunch of penalties like they did against SFA, though, and have a shot. Just have to hope they play a minimal mistakes football game.

I want to see them play their best game. If they play their best game and lose, so be it. But I do hope I don't see something like we saw in the SFA game.

No No No. Texas State is the underdog. Doesn't mean we cant win though. Can't have a 4th quarter meltdown like they did against Southeastern, though, and have a shot. Just have to hope they play minimal mistakes football game.

I want to see them play their best game. If they play their best game and lose, so be it. But I do hope I don't see somehting like we saw in the Southeastern game.

Did I plagiarize?

chrisattsu
November 10th, 2009, 10:05 PM
http://img687.yfrog.com/img687/1761/fightsongsmall.jpg

I am pumped for this game. The Cowboys are a perennial force in the SLC, and the measuring stick for a quality program. I will be thrilled if we can get this win

Eat 'em up and Pack The Wack!

McNeese75
November 10th, 2009, 11:08 PM
http://img687.yfrog.com/img687/1761/fightsongsmall.jpg

I am pumped for this game. The Cowboys are a perennial force in the SLC, and the measuring stick for a quality program. I will be thrilled if we can get this win

Eat 'em up and Pack The Wack!

I hope you pack it. The Cowboys seem to play better in front of a big crowd xnodx

JohnStOnge
November 11th, 2009, 07:56 AM
No No No. Texas State is the underdog. Doesn't mean we cant win though. Can't have a 4th quarter meltdown like they did against Southeastern, though, and have a shot. Just have to hope they play minimal mistakes football game.

I want to see them play their best game. If they play their best game and lose, so be it. But I do hope I don't see somehting like we saw in the Southeastern game.

Did I plagiarize?

A little. But also I think that in all seriousness McNeese is the underdog in this game. It's being played at Texas State. McNeese has lost four of its last five games against the Bobcats. McNeese is very small up front on defense and there will be a big size mismatch on the line of scrimmage when Texas State has the ball. It's not that Texas State is an overwhelming favorite but I think if somebody looks at it objectively there's better than a 50:50 chance going in the Texas State is going to end up on top. I'm hoping it doesn't happen that way but if I had to bet going in and didn't have a dog in the fight I'd bet on Texas State.

txstatebobcat
November 11th, 2009, 08:16 AM
A little. But also I think that in all seriousness McNeese is the underdog in this game. It's being played at Texas State. McNeese has lost four of its last five games against the Bobcats. McNeese is very small up front on defense and there will be a big size mismatch on the line of scrimmage when Texas State has the ball. It's not that Texas State is an overwhelming favorite but I think if somebody looks at it objectively there's better than a 50:50 chance going in the Texas State is going to end up on top. I'm hoping it doesn't happen that way but if I had to bet going in and didn't have a dog in the fight I'd bet on Texas State.

You do know that McNeese St is ranked in the top ten in some polls and TxSt barely cracked the top 25. Even playing in San Marcos there is no way that McNeese would be the underdog.

Aho_Old_Guy
November 11th, 2009, 08:24 AM
I hope you pack it. The Cowboys seem to play better in front of a big crowd xnodx

Appalachian can attest to that -- xlolx (but it seems so long ago)

With all due respect to TxSt, I hope the Pokes whup yah by fitty or so!

JohnStOnge
November 11th, 2009, 08:30 AM
You do know that McNeese St is ranked in the top ten in some polls and TxSt barely cracked the top 25. Even playing in San Marcos there is no way that McNeese would be the underdog.

I am a person that puts more stock in power rating models than I do in human polls. I think that, right now, the human polls overrate the level of accomplishment McNeese has had. If you look at Sagarin's ratings, for example, McNeese is rated slightly higher by the main ratings (by 0.97) and slightly lower by the predictor ratings (by 0.40). But there is a 3.11 point home field advantage so Texas State is anywhere from about a 2 to 3.5 point favorite. And the "predictor" rating is the one designed to predict outcomes so I'd say Texas State is about a 3.5 point favorite.

The Massey Ratings paint a similar picture. McNeese is rated slightly higher but there is a 2.15 point home field advantage. The Massey prediction for the game is Texas State 36, McNeese 34.4. So Massey Makes Texas State a 1.6 point favorite (go to http://www.masseyratings.com/rate.php?lg=cf to then hit the drop down and click FCS to see the ratings and click on the predictions link at the top to see the predictions).

Obviously that's not a lot and it's not uncommon for 3.5 point favorites to lose. But the Bobcats do, I think, go into this game as the favorite. I'd try to look up a line on the game but I guess if I did this thread would get switched to the Lounge section. But I suspect that if you do find a line it'll have Texas State as a slight favorite.

McTailGator
November 11th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Big game for both.

I think both teams together could break the score board on this one.

I do wish the SLC would return to our Defensive years of the past, while keep the Offensive schemes,

I like the fireworks, but I do beleve a football game with basketball type of scoring is a bit much.

McTailGator
November 11th, 2009, 08:44 AM

Please don't ask John to break it down for you.

There is limited bandwith on the internet. xsmiley_wix

McTailGator
November 11th, 2009, 08:49 AM

If George throws at will, it will be becasue of a lack of Defensive pressure from the DL. NOT because of our DB's. Our secondary is actually very good. They just need some help from the LB's and DL's.

Penland is a threat, BUT do not discount Derrick Foureaux who is the heart and sole of our offense and indeed the entire football team.

DF is the most underrated player in FCS. And he runs the entire show.

DANGER!

McTailGator
November 11th, 2009, 08:52 AM

MAybe he threw it AND caught his own pass. xlolx

El Gato
November 11th, 2009, 11:36 AM
If George throws at will, it will be becasue of a lack of Defensive pressure from the DL. NOT because of our DB's. Our secondary is actually very good. They just need some help from the LB's and DL's.

Penland is a threat, BUT do not discount Derrick Foureaux who is the heart and sole of our offense and indeed the entire football team.

DANGER!

Oh, I mentioned this earlier. I too beleive that DF is underated in the FCS.

GeauxLions94
November 11th, 2009, 11:39 AM

Pendland is a threat, BUT do not discount Derrick Fourroux who is the heart and sole of our offense and indeed the entire football team.

DANGER!

Don't mean to be the grammar police, but at least spell their names right. xpeacex

Totally agree with Pendland, he's a threat anytime he touches the football. Fourroux is definitely the heart and soul of the Cowboys and has been one of the most underrated players in FCS the past three years.

Hopefully, our game with SFA ends early so I can watch the game in San Marcos at the beginning. That one should be a doozie too. xthumbsupx

McNeese75
November 12th, 2009, 10:41 AM

xrolleyesx 5dimes does not agree with you

McNeese State at Texas State
391 McNeese State +2 -1201.833 Over 68½ -1201.833
392 Texas State -2 -1201.833 Under 68½ -120

MaximumBobcat
November 12th, 2009, 12:37 PM
xrolleyesx 5dimes does not agree with you

McNeese State at Texas State
391 McNeese State +2 -1201.833 Over 68½ -1201.833
392 Texas State -2 -1201.833 Under 68½ -120

Cowboys may be an underdog in Vegas, but in San Marcos all the players know is McNeese is higher ranked and the Bobcats have to win out.

McTailGator
November 12th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Don't mean to be the grammar police, but at least spell their names right. xpeacex

Totally agree with Pendland, he's a threat anytime he touches the football. Fourroux is definitely the heart and soul of the Cowboys and has been one of the most underrated players in FCS the past three years.

Hopefully, our game with SFA ends early so I can watch the game in San Marcos at the beginning. That one should be a doozie too. xthumbsupx

Then don't be a grammer police.

No need to correct, it's rude and everyone got the point.

MaximumBobcat
November 12th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Then don't be a grammer police.

No need to correct, it's rude and everyone got the point.

I agree tailgator.

Anyways, back to the game...I expect Brudley Jorge to throw like 4 touchdowns.

Too bad that Caringgton Boosh is still out with a torn ACL, our current RBs don't have the same shiftiness and speed that he did.

McTailGator
November 13th, 2009, 07:28 AM
I agree tailgator.

Anyways, back to the game...I expect Brudley Jorge to throw like 4 touchdowns.

Too bad that Caringgton Boosh is still out with a torn ACL, our current RBs don't have the same shiftiness and speed that he did.

I still say your score board keeper will be worn out and need a drink after the clock strikes zero.

This game will easily hit 100 plus points.

That scoreboard will be smoking by the end of the game.

chrisattsu
November 13th, 2009, 09:34 AM
I still say your score board keeper will be worn out and need a drink after the clock strikes zero.

This game will easily hit 100 plus points.

That scoreboard will be smoking by the end of the game.

As long as we win, I don't care.I need a free shirt anyways.

The University Bookstore just started a new thing where you get a coupon at the end of the game. It is good for one a maroon shirt on Monday following the game.
They take 5% off the price for every touchdown scored.

txst80
November 13th, 2009, 01:58 PM

The University Bookstore just started a new thing where you get a coupon at the end of the game. It is good for one a maroon shirt on Monday following the game.

I think the max is 30% off...

bobcathusband
November 13th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Part of the problem with the running game is just the mechanics of it. Clearly the O-line was used to blocking for KB. Canady is very indecisive at the line of scrimmage and doesn't have the initial speed to get outside on the option plays.

We should be trying Reddic more and even using Imade (redshirted?) for the extra speed on the outside since Bush went down. Looks like the first few runs of the game do not work and then they just abandon it. They are also using Canady as an extra blocker quite a bit, and he is really good at putting licks on D-lineman and LBs that come charging through the line.

joeymac007
November 13th, 2009, 09:19 PM
I know this game is on Southland TV, and southland.org says I can watch it on channel 74 on my suddenlink in lake charles, but, I don't have a channel 74.....am I missing something somehwere????

joeymac007
November 13th, 2009, 09:20 PM
or will i have to watch it streaming???

McNeese75
November 13th, 2009, 11:01 PM
I know this game is on Southland TV, and southland.org says I can watch it on channel 74 on my suddenlink in lake charles, but, I don't have a channel 74.....am I missing something somehwere????

It is on Suddenlink 14 tomorrow.

ncbears
November 13th, 2009, 11:04 PM
I don't know about football, but UNC just kicked the crap out of McNeese in basketball.

McNeese75
November 13th, 2009, 11:06 PM

Tell ya what. You let us win and I will buy you a new tee shirt :D

GeauxLions94
November 14th, 2009, 01:22 AM

Tell ya what. You let us win and I will buy you a new tee shirt :D

I'll buy 'ya two ;) xthumbsupx

McNeese72
November 14th, 2009, 07:47 AM
I don't know about football, but UNC just kicked the crap out of McNeese in basketball.

Football is king at McNeese.

As far as basketball:

Click link (http://www.geauxcowboys-eastside.org/suckagain.mp3)

Doc