18. Eastern Washington 749
19. Weber St. 539
20. Delaware 536
21. Lafayette 521
22. Florida A&M 360
23. Montana St. 248
24. Prairie View A&M 228
25. Texas St. 214

Others receiving votes (minimum of 5 votes): Southeastern Louisiana (42), Colgate (35), Central Arkansas (26), Northern Arizona (18), Massachusetts (16), Pennsylvania (16), Eastern Kentucky (8), Harvard (6), James Madison (6), UC Davis (5).

MOST SIGNIFICANT WIN OF THE WEEK: Villanova
MOST SIGNIFICANT LOSS OF THE WEEK: Richmond

sluki86
November 9th, 2009, 12:44 PM
It's perfect! xnodx

Silenoz
November 9th, 2009, 12:47 PM
I wonder if it's possible to be the sole undefeated team and not got a seed. If that happens I'll firmly place myself in the "move up" crowd

Hoyadestroya85
agspoll: Where does this stack up in terms of closest 1, 2, 3 in poll history?

GrizFanStuckInUtah
Most significant Loss of the week should be the Griz, er wait, nvm xnodx xsmiley_wix

GrizNzonecrazy
November 9th, 2009, 12:48 PM
I really cant argue with it......if we win like we should have against ISU i really see this being a lot different but as it was this makes sense

soccerguy315
looks good...

not sure why W&M got a #1 vote though. Only 3 teams in contention for that right now, IMO. A 10-1 W&M might deserve some #1 votes, but not at 8-1 with a loss to Nova.

mcveyrl
I wonder if it's possible to be the sole undefeated team and not got a seed. If that happens I'll firmly place myself in the "move up" crowd

Wait. You don't think Butler's going to get a seed!?!? :D

Don't worry, my guess is despite this, you all will at least get the No. 2 seed.

tribe_pride
November 9th, 2009, 12:49 PM

Butler won't even make the playoffs

Damn beaten to it.

89Hen
13. Holy Cross 928
16. Liberty 857
17. Jacksonville St. 783
Too high IMO.

Keenan
It's perfect! xnodx

Congratulations Salukis! Well deserved IMO! That's who I would have put at #1.

SpeedkingATL

Montana no doubt gets a seed if undefeated.

soccerguy315

I think the only other team that has a chance to jump Montana is W&M.

Silenoz

As a DIII conference winner shouldn't

I dunno, if we struggle with UNC or MSU, and Elon, VU, SIU and UNH win out, I could see it

89Hen
November 9th, 2009, 12:50 PM
agspoll: Where does this stack up in terms of closest 1, 2, 3 in poll history?
I certainly don't recall such an even split on #1 votes this late in the season. xeyebrowx

GannonFan

Silly question. An undefeated Montana team is a lock for a seed. Granted, it may be a #3 or #4 seed, but it will be a seed nonetheless with at least 2 home games at home, barring a first round upset. But it is very possible an undefeated Montana team could miss a #1 or #2 seed.

ToTheLeft
Too high IMO.

We know. The entire CAA needs to come before any other team, so clearly eveyone needs to move down a couple of spots to fit JMU, UMass, Towson, NE, and ODU in there. xthumbsupx xwhistlex

89Hen
November 9th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Silly question. An undefeated Montana team is a lock for a seed. Granted, it may be a #3 or #4 seed, but it will be a seed nonetheless with at least 2 home games at home, barring a first round upset. But it is very possible an undefeated Montana team could miss a #1 or #2 seed.
xrulesx xnodx

knucklehead
Too high IMO.

At least you are consistently wrong! xnodx

89Hen
We know. The entire CAA needs to come before any other team, so clearly eveyone needs to move down a couple of spots to fit JMU, UMass, Towson, NE, and ODU in there. xthumbsupx xwhistlex
No. Those teams are just too high IMO. Knee jerk to even bring the CAA into it. xnonono2x

grizzpaw
November 9th, 2009, 12:52 PM
this has become nothing short of a homer poll!

89Hen
At least you are consistently wrong! xnodx
I am hoping more and more that Liberty does make the field. xwhistlex

WrenFGun

UNH should pass Montana (and W&M) and get some #1 votes next week if they beat W&M. There is no team out there that can match their resume, since they'd have beaten 'Nova, W&M and an FBS. Alas, I think the poll will still find a way to have them behind Richmond, 'Nova and W&M, somehow.

89Hen
November 9th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Agreed. 27 Griz fans.

Bogus Megapardus
November 9th, 2009, 12:53 PM
It's perfect! xnodx

xlolxxlolxxlolx

GannonFan
November 9th, 2009, 12:54 PM
UNH should pass Montana (and W&M) and get some #1 votes next week if they beat W&M. There is no team out there that can match their resume, since they'd have beaten 'Nova, W&M and an FBS. Alas, I think the poll will still find a way to have them behind Richmond, 'Nova and W&M, somehow.

That loss to UMass really stings. No one else has a loss like that on the resume. Better hope UMass beats JMU next week to at least make that look better.

jlcharles
If and when Montana wins out, there's no way they don't get a seed. SIU should win out and hopefully Nova does too. I would think that in that scenario, SIU gets a 1 and Nova gets the 2. With Montana at 3.

GannonFan

I'm a UD fan from the CAA - explain to me how my picking of SIU to be number 1 is a homer vote. xwhistlex

soccerguy315
November 9th, 2009, 12:55 PM

UNH beating W&M would definitely jump them over W&M...

but does it jump them over the ASU/Elon winner? And over Richmond? They would have to jump over both of those teams before jumping Montana.

I would agree that with victories over W&M, Nova, and FBS should warrant #1 consideration though. (on the other hand, UNH also has a bad loss, which Montana, Nova, SIU, and Richmond do not.)

ToTheLeft
November 9th, 2009, 12:55 PM
No. Those teams are just too high IMO. Knee jerk to even bring the CAA into it. xnonono2x

It was a joke. Guess I needed more emoticons. And a "j/k" at the end. Everyone knows I forgot about Rhode Island. xpeacex

Shellin
November 9th, 2009, 12:56 PM

I'm not sure of that, I certainly didn't vote the Griz #1 this week. If Montana comes out and does what they're supposed to do these next two weeks (beats UNC handily and wins in Bozeman) it will all sort itself out and I can't see the Griz missing out on a top 2 seed. If we come out and play like we did against ISU again we don't deserve a high seed (also, if we play like that against UNC or MSU we'll lose). There's still two weeks of football to be played before we start worrying about the playoffs, a lot can happen.

knucklehead
November 9th, 2009, 12:57 PM

And I guess it's not knee jerk to say those teams are too High? How much LU action have you seen again??

uofmman1122
November 9th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Funny.

An 11-0 Montana that beats ISU 12-10 only deserves the #3 seed, according to most people, even though they were runner up last year, and haven't lost a game.

What's even funnier is that had we beaten ISU by 30, we'd be the same 11-0, and people would probably have us as a "lock" for the #1 seed.

As someone said earlier, I was really tempted to put Montana as most significant loss. We may as well have lost, it seems. xrolleyesx

Silenoz
November 9th, 2009, 12:59 PM
If and when Montana wins out, there's no way they don't get a seed. SIU should win out and hopefully Nova does too. I would think that in that scenario, SIU gets a 1 and Nova gets the 2. With Montana at 3.
I don't think it's a complete lock, with so many teams so close behind us. I mean look at last year, we ended the season with the best record, and if WSU or Cal Poly had been able to hold onto a win the final week we would of been seedless.

Big Al
November 9th, 2009, 12:59 PM
My first thought was if SIU ends up with the #1 seed, then you can almost bank on Montana with the #4 seed. I don't see the committee putting two western teams at the top of both sides of the bracket.

OhioHen
November 9th, 2009, 01:00 PM

Agreed. 27 Griz fans.

Not so, 89. I'm one of the Montana #1 voters - have been for several weeks.

mcveyrl
November 9th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Funny.

An 11-0 Montana that beats ISU 12-10 only deserves the #3 seed, according to most people, even though they were runner up last year, and haven't lost a game.

What's even funnier is that had we beaten ISU by 30, we'd be the same 11-0, and people would probably have us as a "lock" for the #1 seed.

As someone said earlier, I was really tempted to put Montana as most significant loss. We may as well have lost, it seems. xrolleyesx

IMO, even with a 30 point win, I had SIU over you.

GannonFan
November 9th, 2009, 01:03 PM
Funny.

I actually had Idaho St listed as my Most Significant Lost this week. xthumbsupx

putter
November 9th, 2009, 01:03 PM
My first thought was if SIU ends up with the #1 seed, then you can almost bank on Montana with the #4 seed. I don't see the committee putting two western teams at the top of both sides of the bracket.

I could easily see Montana @ the 3 if SIU get the #1 and Villanova gets the #2. First, they would deserve it by going undefeated, irregardless how you feel about playing shi&&y against ISU and the $$$ issue comes into play. Having a bad game, but winning, should not be a reason to torpedo a teams season by voters

WrenFGun
November 9th, 2009, 01:12 PM
UNH beating W&M would definitely jump them over W&M...

but does it jump them over the ASU/Elon winner? And over Richmond? They would have to jump over both of those teams before jumping Montana.

I would agree that with victories over W&M, Nova, and FBS should warrant #1 consideration though. (on the other hand, UNH also has a bad loss, which Montana, Nova, SIU, and Richmond do not.)

Yes, unequivocally.

UNH's loss was to the team that was NUMBER NINETEEN in the GPI. 19! That's a top 25 team they lost to, on the road, on the last play of the game, at UMass' homecoming. UNH is also the ONLY TEAM with a win over the team with the #1 GPI. There is not another team in the poll that can claim this.

Let's look at Villanova's resume: They have a win over Richmond (likely #2 GPI), W&M and Virginia. They have a loss to the team currently ranked 8th in GPI.

UNH's resume, if they beat W&M: Win over the #1 GPI (Villanova), #4/5 GPI in W&M and Ball State. They have a loss to the team ranked 8th in GPI. I just don't see how a HEAD TO HEAD win over a team ranked ahead of them is worth LESS than a loss to a team that is 11 spots below in the GPI. xconfusedx

As for the rest of the teams, Richmond's best FCS win is over GPI #14 Delaware. Southern Illinois does not have an FBS win and their best win is over GPI #6, SDSU (and frankly, they'll drop). Montana best win is over EWU, #12 in the GPI. App State has a LOSS to a team WORSE than UMass in the GPI (Mcneese). Elon's best win is over, I think #41 GPI Ga.Sou.

So, yes, I believe UNH is getting the shaft. You're penalizing UNH for a loss to a team that is BETTER than the team App lost to, and yet we're talking about APP as a seed if they beat Elon. There will not, and I repeat, will not, be a team with a better resume than UNH if they beat W&M. It is not opinion. The numbers backup my claim.

Yet, for some reason, they'll still be ranked 6th in the AGS poll while App State will be #3 if they beat Elon next week...xrolleyesx

GannonFan
November 9th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Yes, unequivocally.

UNH's loss was to the team that was NUMBER NINETEEN in the GPI. 19! That's a top 25 team they lost to, on the road, on the last play of the game, at UMass' homecoming. UNH is also the ONLY TEAM with a win over the team with the #1 GPI. There is not another team in the poll that can claim this.

Let's look at Villanova's resume: They have a win over Richmond (likely #2 GPI), W&M and Virginia. They have a loss to the team currently ranked 8th in GPI.

UNH's resume, if they beat W&M: Win over the #1 GPI (Villanova), #4/5 GPI in W&M and Ball State. They have a loss to the team ranked 8th in GPI. I just don't see how a HEAD TO HEAD win over a team ranked ahead of them is worth LESS than a loss to a team that is 11 spots below in the GPI. xconfusedx

As for the rest of the teams, Richmond's best FCS win is over GPI #14 Delaware. Southern Illinois does not have an FBS win and their best win is over GPI #6, SDSU (and frankly, they'll drop). Montana best win is over EWU, #12 in the GPI. App State has a LOSS to a team WORSE than UMass in the GPI (Mcneese). Elon's best win is over, I think #41 GPI Ga.Sou.

So, yes, I believe UNH is getting the shaft. You're penalizing UNH for a loss to a team that is BETTER than the team App lost to, and yet we're talking about APP as a seed if they beat Elon. There will not, and I repeat, will not, be a team with a better resume than UNH if they beat W&M. It is not opinion. The numbers backup my claim.

Yet, for some reason, they'll still be ranked 6th in the AGS poll while App State will be #3 if they beat Elon next week...xrolleyesx

You're hanging onto the GPI wayyyyy too much. UMass just ain't that good. Heck, you diminish Richmond's win over Delaware, yet Delaware completely obliterated UMass. It's a bad loss, and right now, those other teams don't have bad losses. It's a big difference.

uofmman1122
November 9th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Yes, unequivocally.

Yet, for some reason, they'll still be ranked 6th in the AGS poll while App State will be #3 if they beat Elon next week...xrolleyesxIf ASU wins, they're moving one spot in my poll to #6, and Elon goes to about 10 or so.

They'll still be above UNH, though, at #7.

soccerguy315
November 9th, 2009, 01:18 PM
I don't think the winner of the ASU/Elon game is moving up anywhere... I think this game is a battle to keep their current position, and the loser is going to drop. And if the game isn't close either way, the loser could drop down into the 15+ range (no quality wins and blown out by the top 10 FCS team).

UNH Fanboi
November 9th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Funny.

The narrow win over Idaho St. is just part of the overall picture. Montana's only top 25 win is a 7-point win over the #18 team and they went to OT against Northern Arizona. And they might not be undefeated if they had scheduled an FBS like almost every other top team, 4 of whom won those FBS games. (Spare me the inevitable response about Ball St. sucking. I know, and I'm not saying that UNH should be ahead of Montana.)

You can say a win is a win all day long, but in a division with over 100 teams of widely varying talent, at some point SoS and margin of victory have to come in the equation, and in some cases trump a straight win-loss analysis.

WrenFGun
November 9th, 2009, 01:19 PM
You're hanging onto the GPI wayyyyy too much. UMass just ain't that good. Heck, you diminish Richmond's win over Delaware, yet Delaware completely obliterated UMass. It's a bad loss, and right now, those other teams don't have bad losses. It's a big difference.

...and if UMass beats JMU, who beat UD by 14 in Delaware? The GPI, which is one of the more accurate tools used to evaluate teams, notes a 5 spot difference between UD/UMass. If UMass beats JMU, you might as well call it a wash.

There's nothing that Elon, App, Richmond, W&M, Montana or SDSU have done this season, by resume, that is better than what UNH has done. None of them have the level of quality wins. Yet they are all ahead of UNH in this poll. It is nothing short of absurd. xnonono2x

putter
November 9th, 2009, 01:22 PM
The narrow win over Idaho St. is just part of the overall picture. Montana's only top 25 win is a 7-point win over the #18 team and they went to OT against Northern Arizona. And they might not be undefeated if they had scheduled an FBS like almost every other top team, 4 of whom won those FBS games. (Spare me the inevitable response about Ball St. sucking. I know, and I'm not saying that UNH should be ahead of Montana.)

You can say a win is a win all day long, but in a division with over 100 teams of widely varying talent, at some point SoS and margin of victory have to come in the equation, and in some cases trump a straight win-loss analysis.

W against Eastern Washington -- ranked
W against Weber State -- ranked
W against Northern Arizona -- ranked at that time
W against Cal Poly -- ranked at that time

still have 1 game left against ranked team

If the Griz beat the Cats they would have 5 W's against top 25 teams, almost 1/2 of the schedule would have been ranked at the time the Griz played those teams yet we play a weak schedule....xsmhx

Don't throw the FBS game in there. That is your AD's choice and there is no rule that you have to play an FBS game. It is awesome you won but that does not necessarily separate you.

Keenan
November 9th, 2009, 01:23 PM

Boy this post needs to be read again. Spot on UNH! xthumbsupx

uofmman1122
November 9th, 2009, 01:24 PM

You can say a win is a win all day long, but in a division with over 100 teams of widely varying talent, at some point SoS and margin of victory have to come in the equation, and in some cases trump a straight win-loss analysis.Ummmm....

Montana beat #18 EWU and #19 WSU, and NAU and Cal Poly were ranked whenwe beat them. We also have ranked Montana State on our schedule to close the season.

Acting like we've played no one good doesn't hold up this year. xnonox

You also lost to a terrible UMASS team. You may have good wins, but you have a bad loss.

sluki86
November 9th, 2009, 01:26 PM
W against Eastern Washington -- ranked
W against Weber State -- ranked
W against Northern Arizona -- ranked at that time
W against Cal Poly -- ranked at that time

still have 1 game left against ranked team

If the Griz beat the Cats they would have 5 W's against top 25 teams, almost 1/2 of the schedule would have been ranked at the time the Griz played those teams yet we play a weak schedule....xsmhx

Don't throw the FBS game in there. That is your AD's choice and there is no rule that you have to play an FBS game. It is awesome you won but that does not necessarily separate you.

It most certainly does.

RowdyRabbit
November 9th, 2009, 01:26 PM
The fact that SDSU dropped below UNI in all the polls I've seen this week, even though SDSU beat UNI, only confirms my thought a couple weeks ago that an 8-3 UNI makes the playoffs (at large) over and 8-3 SDSU.

Ivytalk
November 9th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Good poll!xthumbsupx

Would be good to have 100 voters, though, rather than 90.xpeacex

UNH Fanboi
November 9th, 2009, 01:28 PM
...and if UMass beats JMU, who beat UD by 14 in Delaware? The GPI, which is one of the more accurate tools used to evaluate teams, notes a 5 spot difference between UD/UMass. If UMass beats JMU, you might as well call it a wash.

There's nothing that Elon, App, Richmond, W&M, Montana or SDSU have done this season, by resume, that is better than what UNH has done. None of them have the level of quality wins. Yet they are all ahead of UNH in this poll. It is nothing short of absurd. xnonono2x

I'm withholding my outrage for another two weeks. At this point I can't blame people too much for doubting them because of their somewhat embarrassing loss to UMass and close wins over Hofstra and URI.

IF UNH wins out and still does not get a seed, THEN I'm gonna raise hell on here.

uofmman1122
November 9th, 2009, 01:29 PM
It most certainly does.Beating Ball State is about on par with beating UC Davis. Acting like it's more than that is deluding yourself.

And again, if UNH wants to be respected in the polls, you shouldn't have lost to UMASS. xcoffeex

sluki86
November 9th, 2009, 01:31 PM
The fact that SDSU dropped below UNI in all the polls I've seen this week, even though SDSU beat UNI, only confirms my thought a couple weeks ago that an 8-3 UNI makes the playoffs (at large) over and 8-3 SDSU.

History and this year's Iowa game give UNI the nod in some voters minds. I believe SDSU should get in over UNI.

WrenFGun
November 9th, 2009, 01:31 PM
UMass is 19th in the GPI. Why is App getting any respect? McNeese is worse...

Does anyone actually look at these things before voting or do they just assume UNH is terrible because they lost to UMass?

GannonFan
November 9th, 2009, 01:32 PM

Geez, you could've just stopped after typing that bolded section. The GPI is the combination of the polls (good), then distorted by a series of questionable at best and often just mind boggling computer rankings that even when they get 11 points of data for each team, will still be woefully under-sampled to give a good enough ranking. Like I said, you put way, way too much faith into a system that was only supposed to tell us who the 8th at large team should be in the playoffs.

UNH Fanboi
Ummmm....

Montana beat #18 EWU and #19 WSU, and NAU and Cal Poly were ranked whenwe beat them. We also have ranked Montana State on our schedule to close the season.

Acting like we've played no one good doesn't hold up this year. xnonox

You also lost to a terrible UMASS team. You may have good wins, but you have a bad loss.

My apologies for not mentioning the Weber win. I don't think you haven't played anyone good, I just think Nova and SIU have better resumes at this point.

What does UNH's loss to UMass have to do with anything? I specifically stated that I would not rank them ahead of Montana right now.

WestCoastAggie
Funny.

It's truth. You all should have laid the wood to ISU and tried to end the game by halftime. This is a school that has rumors floating around that they are strongly considering disbanding their football program.

There are just too many good teams out here to the point where any blemish on the resume sticks out more than usual.

I am just glad we have the playoffs so this will be all settled on the field. xnodx

GannonFan
November 9th, 2009, 01:35 PM
I'm withholding my outrage for another two weeks. At this point I can't blame people too much for doubting them because of their somewhat embarrassing loss to UMass and close wins over Hofstra and URI.

IF UNH wins out and still does not get a seed, THEN I'm gonna raise hell on here.

Well, prepare to raise hell, because UNH is likely to not get a seed. SIU, a CAA team (likely nova or Richmond), the SoCon winner (Appy St or Elon), and Montana are the most likely to get a seed. For UNH to get a seed, it would need to have both CAA teams lose once each before the end of the year and then one of the other teams to lose as well. The CAA getting two seeds is possible, but also unlikely.

89Hen
November 9th, 2009, 01:37 PM
And I guess it's not knee jerk to say those teams are too High? How much LU action have you seen again??
Two games. xcoffeex

4th and What?
November 9th, 2009, 01:39 PM

Damn beaten to it.

I was 7 pages too late.

WrenFGun
November 9th, 2009, 01:40 PM
UNH should be a seed if they win out.

10-1 with two wins over teams in the top 10 and the CAA autobid?

uofmman1122
November 9th, 2009, 01:40 PM
It's truth. You all should have laid the wood to ISU and tried to end the game by halftime. This is a school that has rumors floating around that they are strongly considering disbanding their football program.

There are just too many good teams out here to the point where any blemish on the resume sticks out more than usual.

I am just glad we have the playoffs so this will be all settled on the field. xnodxWhen you have a team playing the #2 team in the country with literally nothing to lose, crazy things can happen.

You're right, we should have laid the wood to them, but we took ourselves out of that game much more than ISU did.

WestCoastAggie
November 9th, 2009, 01:43 PM
When you have a team playing the #2 team in the country with literally nothing to lose, crazy things can happen.

You're right, we should have laid the wood to them, but we took ourselves out of that game much more than ISU did.

I am quite confident that the Griz will handle their business these next 2 weeks and will set a road that goes through Wash/Griz to get to Chatty. xthumbsupx

uofmman1122
November 9th, 2009, 01:45 PM
I am quite confident that the Griz will handle their business these next 2 weeks and will set a road that goes through Wash/Griz to get to Chatty. xthumbsupxI sure hope so.

UNH Fanboi
November 9th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Beating Ball State is about on par with beating UC Davis. Acting like it's more than that is deluding yourself.

And again, if UNH wants to be respected in the polls, you shouldn't have lost to UMASS. xcoffeex

This isn't about UNH. I already specifically stated that Ball St. sucks and I've never trumpeted that as a huge win for UNH. However, Duke, Temple and UVA do not suck, and those are big wins.

Also, the fact that SIU's only loss is to an FBS is certainly relevant to the "Montana is the only undefeated team argument" being thrown around. I'm not penalizing Montana for not scheduling an FBS. But when comparing Montana and SIU head-to-head, I am certainly going to take into account that SIU's only loss is to an FBS.

GannonFan
November 9th, 2009, 01:48 PM
UNH should be a seed if they win out.

10-1 with two wins over teams in the top 10 and the CAA autobid?

Do they get the autobid over Richmond should Richmond win out? And frankly, the committee won't rely on the CAA criteria for determining the autobid when it comes time to decide between two teams with even records from the CAA. xthumbsupx

WrenFGun
November 9th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Do they get the autobid over Richmond should Richmond win out? And frankly, the committee won't rely on the CAA criteria for determining the autobid when it comes time to decide between two teams with even records from the CAA. xthumbsupx

Yes. They would win the CAA if they win out.

I really need to adjust my polls next week since head-to-head results matter much less than quality of losses..xoopsx

Khan4Cats
November 9th, 2009, 01:57 PM

Beat Minnesota and you'll be fine.

Lose a close one to the Gophers and then hammer WIU, I think you're okay.

Lose badly this week and it could be real nail-biting time.

I do think that an 8-3 SDSU team should be in the play-offs (as well as an 8-3 UNI team), but that Cal-Poly loss isn't looking so good right now along with the big loss to SIU. UNI, in contrast, doesn't have a 'bad' loss (by 10 at SDSU being our worst and the teams that have beaten us have a combined 4 losses on the year), even without a real 'good' win.

But as a UNI fan, I don't have a great deal of faith in the committee based on our past history with them.

uofmman1122
November 9th, 2009, 01:57 PM
This isn't about UNH. I already specifically stated that Ball St. sucks and I've never trumpeted that as a huge win for UNH. However, Duke, Temple and UVA do not suck, and those are big wins.

Also, the fact that SIU's only loss is to an FBS is certainly relevant to the "Montana is the only undefeated team argument" being thrown around. I'm not penalizing Montana for not scheduling an FBS. But when comparing Montana and SIU head-to-head, I am certainly going to take into account that SIU's only loss is to an FBS.Well, if you want to get technical about SIU, their signature wins are against UNI and SDSU.

UNI has lost to every good team they've played this year: Iowa, SDSU, and SIU, and haven't really played anyone else other than that.

SDSU beat UNI also, but lost to Cal Poly, a team Montana beat pretty convincingly. I thought the spanking of GSU would be a great win for SDSU, but it's shown that it was a spanking of a very down team.

I'm not against SIU being #1. I think they're a good team. I just get the feeling that people feel like Montana doesn't deserve to be in the top 5, despite winning every game against good opponents, and only having one bad win.

I'd take a bad win over a terrible FCS team over a bad loss to a mediocre FCS team, yet, sorry to go back to UNH, some people are saying UNH deserves to be above Montana. That logic doesn't make sense to me, especially in the subdivision that always says, "A win is a win is a win."

I'm glad we have the playoffs to settle this, but I think an 11-0 Montana team that doesn't get at least the #2 seed is a robbed team.

grizzpaw
November 9th, 2009, 02:02 PM
History and this year's Iowa game give UNI the nod in some voters minds. I believe SDSU should get in over UNI.

rewarding a team FOR LOSING !xnonoxxnonono2xxoopsx

uofmman1122
November 9th, 2009, 02:06 PM
rewarding a team FOR LOSING !xnonoxxnonono2xxoopsxAnd penalizing a team for winning. xrolleyesx

We really are turning into the BCS. xlolx xsmhx

UNH Fanboi
November 9th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Well, if you want to get technical about SIU, their signature wins are against UNI and SDSU.

UNI has lost to every good team they've played this year: Iowa, SDSU, and SIU, and haven't really played anyone else other than that.

SDSU beat UNI also, but lost to Cal Poly, a team Montana beat pretty convincingly. I thought the spanking of GSU would be a great win for SDSU, but it's shown that it was a spanking of a very down team.

I'm not against SIU being #1. I think they're a good team. I just get the feeling that people feel like Montana doesn't deserve to be in the top 5, despite winning every game against good opponents, and only having one bad win.

I'd take a bad win over a terrible FCS team over a bad loss to a mediocre FCS team, yet, sorry to go back to UNH, some people are saying UNH deserves to be above Montana. That logic doesn't make sense to me, especially in the subdivision that always says, "A win is a win is a win."

I'm glad we have the playoffs to settle this, but I think an 11-0 Montana team that doesn't get at least the #2 seed is a robbed team.

I haven't seen anyone who's said that UNH should be ranked ahead of Montana this week. I think some people might be saying UNH should be ahead of Montana if they win out, but even that is a minority view. And I haven't seen a single person say that Montana shouldn't be in the top 5. I think the vast majority of people have Montana somewhere between 1 and 4, which isn't that outrageous to me. The only teams being ranked ahead of Montana in any reasonable polls are 1-loss teams that lost their respective games by 1, 3 or 4 points to very good teams.

WileECoyote06
November 9th, 2009, 02:12 PM
I'm not a big fan of teams 'jumping'. Especially when the team in front of them played and won that week (regardless of score).

I agree that if UNH wins out, they should be granted a seed before App State or Elon. But let's give it a week and see how things work out.

McNeese75
November 9th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Maybe the committee will give UNH some kind of a "non-voting" (for lack of a better term) seed. You know, the you get a seed but you still have to travel kind. :D xpeacex

gbhmt
November 9th, 2009, 02:24 PM
And penalizing a team for winning. xrolleyesx

We really are turning into the BCS. xlolx xsmhx

I wonder if anyone remembers how overrated people claimed Montana to be last year when they beat a D-II team with a game-winning field goal. The Griz sure turned out to be some pushovers huh? xrolleyesx

89Hen
November 9th, 2009, 02:28 PM
I wonder if anyone remembers how overrated people claimed Montana to be last year when they beat a D-II team with a game-winning field goal. The Griz sure turned out to be some pushovers huh? xrolleyesx
Richmond thinks so. xwhistlex xsmiley_wix

Silenoz
November 9th, 2009, 02:35 PM

CAA CAA!

89Hen
November 9th, 2009, 02:38 PM
CAA CAA!

xthumbsupx That's the spirit. :)

Tailbone
November 9th, 2009, 02:52 PM

And they're the only one with a legit claim. ;)

TxState_GO_CATS!
November 9th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Pretty good poll...

ALTHOUGH: SELA > Texas State. xrulesx

:(xoopsx

putter
November 9th, 2009, 03:53 PM

JMU doesn't -- CAA CAA CAA xrolleyesx xsmiley_wix

JMUNJ08
November 9th, 2009, 05:01 PM
JMU doesn't -- CAA CAA CAA xrolleyesx xsmiley_wix

Not a push over but definitely not the clear better team.

FargoBison
November 9th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Beat Minnesota and you'll be fine.

Lose a close one to the Gophers and then hammer WIU, I think you're okay.

Lose badly this week and it could be real nail-biting time.

I do think that an 8-3 SDSU team should be in the play-offs (as well as an 8-3 UNI team), but that Cal-Poly loss isn't looking so good right now along with the big loss to SIU. UNI, in contrast, doesn't have a 'bad' loss (by 10 at SDSU being our worst and the teams that have beaten us have a combined 4 losses on the year), even without a real 'good' win.

But as a UNI fan, I don't have a great deal of faith in the committee based on our past history with them.

So while UNI sits at home and plays cupcakes, SDSU is punished for going to Cal Poly(one of the toughest road trips in FCS football) and losing? Makes no sense, especially when you factor in their win over UNI. I don't think UNI has a leg to stand on when it comes to getting in over SDSU if both are 8-3.

That said, no 8-3 MVFC team has ever not made the playoffs and I don't see that trend ending this year. If both take care of business both will be in.

SumItUp
November 9th, 2009, 05:49 PM
SDSU is punished for going to Cal Poly(one of the toughest road trips in FCS football) and losing?

Taking a team to Cal Poly to play is a tough road trip, but the loss does not hold the same value that it did in week 4. CP has to win their last two games against South Dakota and @Weber State to reach 5 D1 wins for the year.

srgrizizen
November 9th, 2009, 05:50 PM
I'm not a big fan of teams 'jumping'. Especially when the team in front of them played and won that week (regardless of score).

I agree that if UNH wins out, they should be granted a seed before App State or Elon. But let's give it a week and see how things work out.

But it appears that many of the voters in this poll regard their vote as the "grade" for this week's performance, at least to a large degree, and that's fine, so it's readily understandable why they can't vote Montana #1. If Montana plays as poorly as they did against ISU, they'll never win both remaining games, and not get a seed anyway. If they win out, however, they should absolutely get a seed, but not necessarily #1. They may not have had the toughest schedule in the FCS, but to say it is weak is utter nonsense. Some people seem to love to wait until opponents drop in the rankings after the Griz beat them, then say they weren't a tough opponent. Anyway a #2 seed is every bit as advantageous as #1, and any of the top four spots would be great for UM.

Silenoz
November 9th, 2009, 06:00 PM
It's the paradox of college football. By winning you kill your own strength of schedule by dropping your opponents

boonegoon
November 9th, 2009, 07:03 PM
I certainly don't recall such an even split on #1 votes this late in the season. xeyebrowx

TGFP!

Thank God for playoffs

boonegoon
November 9th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Just as a frame of reference, this is the GPI @ this week last year. Pretty interesting. Eventual Champion was 6-3 and sweating I'm sure.

Rank Team Conf W/L Total ARC MAS LAZ SAU SAG SEL KEE ASH AGS SNW FCP
1 James Madison CAA 8-1 1.00 5 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
2 Appalachian St SOCON 7-2 2.13 11 6 3 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2
3 Montana BSC 8-1 3.88 16 2 2 4 4 5 3 3 5 5 5
4T Cal Poly GWFC 6-1 5.25 33 5 7 7 8 7 5 7 3 3 3
4T Richmond CAA 6-3 5.25 23 7 5 3 3 4 7 4 6 7 6
6 Villanova CAA 6-2 5.50 23 4 6 5 5 3 4 5 7 6 8
7 Weber St BSC 8-2 7.00 28 3 4 6 6 6 8 6 9 9 10
8 Northern Iowa MVFC 7-2 8.38 55 10 8 12 14 12 6 13 4 4 4
9 New Hampshire CAA 7-1 9.38 50 8 11 9 11 10 14 9 10 8 7
10 Wofford SOCON 6-2 9.50 43 12 9 8 7 8 10 8 11 10 12
11 Massachusetts CAA 6-3 11.50 53 11 13 11 10 11 9 10 13 13 13
12 William & Mary CAA 6-2 11.75 50 9 14 10 9 9 11 11 14 14 16
13 Elon SOCON 7-2 12.00 62 16 10 13 12 13 12 12 12 11 11
14 S Illinois MVFC 6-2 13.75 81 14 15 19 20 17 13 16 8 12 9
15 Furman SOCON 7-3 15.00 73 22 12 15 13 15 16 14 15 15 17
16 Cent Arkansas SLC 7-2 18.38 101 19 18 26 25 19 18 20 16 16 14
17 Maine CAA 6-3 18.50 74 13 16 14 15 14 19 15 22 26 26
18 W Illinois MVFC 5-3 19.00 99 18 21 17 19 21 20 22 17 17 19
19 Harvard IVY 6-1 20.00 98 17 20 21 21 23 15 19 20 21 21
20 McNeese St SLC 5-3 20.25 111 21 24 23 22 20 25 21 18 18 15
21 N Arizona BSC 6-3 21.00 95 15 23 20 18 16 23 18 26 23 24
22 Ga Southern SOCON 5-4 21.50 94 25 17 16 17 18 26 17 26 26 26
23 UC Davis GWFC 5-4 25.00 122 20 27 24 28 24 21 26 26 26 26
24 S Dakota St MVFC 5-4 25.25 127 24 25 27 26 25 17 27 23 26 26
25 Delaware CAA 3-6 27.00 138 33 39 22 23 29 30 23 26 26 26
26 Montana St BSC 5-4 27.25 140 23 34 29 30 26 27 28 26 26 26
27 Northwestern St SLC 6-3 27.50 142 26 26 32 34 22 35 24 26 26 26
28 Brown IVY 5-2 28.50 150 27 35 31 27 32 24 33 26 26 26
29 Lafayette PL 6-2 28.88 153 29 32 33 29 34 22 30 26 26 26
30 N Dakota St MVFC 5-4 29.13 158 31 31 28 32 35 29 42 26 26 23
31 Northeastern CAA 2-7 29.50 158 37 42 25 24 28 34 34 26 26 26
32T E Washington BSC 3-5 30.13 163 28 37 34 38 30 31 31 26 26 26
32T S Carolina St MEAC 7-2 30.13 185 32 29 44 46 43 28 37 19 19 18
34T Colgate PL 7-2 30.25 168 34 28 43 33 37 32 32 24 24 26
34T Samford SOCON 4-4 30.25 164 47 40 18 16 27 44 35 26 26 26
36 TN Martin OVC 7-2 30.75 185 39 19 42 41 41 39 25 21 20 20
37 Holy Cross PL 5-3 32.38 181

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 9th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Richmond only falls 3 places after losing?

Now watch the loser of the App/Elon game fall 10 places. xrolleyesx

4th and What?
November 9th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Eventual Champion was 6-3 and sweating I'm sure.

Eventual champion was sweating a few seconds until their last game ended.....an OT win away from sitting at home.

Squealofthepig
November 9th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Just as a frame of reference, this is the GPI @ this week last year. Pretty interesting. Eventual Champion was 6-3 and sweating I'm sure.

Thanks for bringing this up! Quite interesting - amazing how so many of the same teams are there too.

And honestly, gotta love that the top couple of teams are very close, voting wise - gotta love these years where no one is a clear head & shoulders favorite, and it's anyone's game in the playoffs.

gbhmt
November 9th, 2009, 08:46 PM

You really think they should drop below the former ranking of the team that beat them after they missed an easy field goal to win? xconfusedx

achrist70
November 9th, 2009, 09:29 PM

10 Wofford SOCON 6-2 9.50 43 12 9 8 7 8 10 8 11 10 12
11 Massachusetts CAA 6-3 11.50 53 11 13 11 10 11 9 10 13 13 13
12 William & Mary CAA 6-2 11.75 50 9 14 10 9 9 11 11 14 14 16
13 Elon SOCON 7-2 12.00 62 16 10 13 12 13 12 12 12 11 11
14 S Illinois MVFC 6-2 13.75 81 14 15 19 20 17 13 16 8 12 9
15 Furman SOCON 7-3 15.00 73 22 12 15 13 15 16 14 15 15 17
16 Cent Arkansas SLC 7-2 18.38 101 19 18 26 25 19 18 20 16 16 14
17 Maine CAA 6-3 18.50 74 13 16 14 15 14 19 15 22 26 26
18 W Illinois MVFC 5-3 19.00 99 18 21 17 19 21 20 22 17 17 19
19 Harvard IVY 6-1 20.00 98 17 20 21 21 23 15 19 20 21 21
20 McNeese St SLC 5-3 20.25 111 21 24 23 22 20 25 21 18 18 15
21 N Arizona BSC 6-3 21.00 95 15 23 20 18 16 23 18 26 23 24
22 Ga Southern SOCON 5-4 21.50 94 25 17 16 17 18 26 17 26 26 26
23 UC Davis GWFC 5-4 25.00 122 20 27 24 28 24 21 26 26 26 26
24 S Dakota St MVFC 5-4 25.25 127 24 25 27 26 25 17 27 23 26 26
25 Delaware CAA 3-6 27.00 138 33 39 22 23 29 30 23 26 26 26
26 Montana St BSC 5-4 27.25 140 23 34 29 30 26 27 28 26 26 26
27 Northwestern St SLC 6-3 27.50 142 26 26 32 34 22 35 24 26 26 26
28 Brown IVY 5-2 28.50 150 27 35 31 27 32 24 33 26 26 26
29 Lafayette PL 6-2 28.88 153 29 32 33 29 34 22 30 26 26 26
30 N Dakota St MVFC 5-4 29.13 158 31 31 28 32 35 29 42 26 26 23
31 Northeastern CAA 2-7 29.50 158 37 42 25 24 28 34 34 26 26 26
32T E Washington BSC 3-5 30.13 163 28 37 34 38 30 31 31 26 26 26
32T S Carolina St MEAC 7-2 30.13 185 32 29 44 46 43 28 37 19 19 18
34T Colgate PL 7-2 30.25 168 34 28 43 33 37 32 32 24 24 26
34T Samford SOCON 4-4 30.25 164 47 40 18 16 27 44 35 26 26 26
36 TN Martin OVC 7-2 30.75 185 39 19 42 41 41 39 25 21 20 20
37 Holy Cross PL 5-3 32.38 181

What I get from this is that you think UNI is going to win a NC!xsmiley_wix

gt_bison
November 9th, 2009, 09:43 PM
The top 15 looks about like my ballot, and after that it's a mess. The two things that irk me are the two head-to-heads that aren't respected. For heaven's sake, SDSU and UNI are next to each other but the head-to-head is backward! I also don't get McNeese St being three spots below App State. Until there's something clear to separate them, I've got them next to each other with McNeese on top. The CAA head-to-heads just give me headaches so they can't be sorted out yet, but the two I mention here seem pretty clear.

ngineer
November 9th, 2009, 10:04 PM
I think it's very good. I can't remember such a close division among the top three since we've been doing this. Great competition. IMO, the spoils go to the undefeated in this game. Nice that it don't mean anything.xnodx

soccerguy315
November 9th, 2009, 10:13 PM

the loser of ASU/Elon has zero quality wins. What you learned this weekend is that Villanova and Richmond are roughly equal teams, both with quality wins.

I expect the loser of ASU/Elon to drop into the 10-15 range, and farther if it is a blowout.

FargoBison
November 9th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Taking a team to Cal Poly to play is a tough road trip, but the loss does not hold the same value that it did in week 4. CP has to win their last two games against South Dakota and @Weber State to reach 5 D1 wins for the year.

My point was that SDSU played a tough non-conference schedule when compared to UNI. SDSU(Georgia Southern, @Cal Poly, and @Minnesota) UNI(Sacred Heart, South Dakota, and @Iowa) But that shouldn't matter, if both are 8-3 the trump card should be SDSU's win over UNI.

uofmman1122
November 9th, 2009, 10:23 PM
the loser of ASU/Elon has zero quality wins. What you learned this weekend is that Villanova and Richmond are roughly equal teams, both with quality wins.

I expect the loser of ASU/Elon to drop into the 10-15 range, and farther if it is a blowout.Agreed. ASU has played one top 25 team and lost, and Elon has played no top 25 teams.

Like I said in another thread, I have Elon at 6, and App at 7. Winner goes to 6, and loser drops to about 10, unless it's bad, then the loser could drop into 12-15.

WrenFGun
November 9th, 2009, 10:41 PM
...The only reason the APP/Elon loser won't drop further is because the quality of team outside the top 8 or so is terrible. I don't think I'll drop either much, come to think of it, unless some other team comes up huge.

UNH Fanboi
November 9th, 2009, 11:08 PM

How was Richmond ahead of Villanova with a worse record and after Nova had beaten them h2h?

Husky Alum
November 11th, 2009, 06:49 AM
I'm a UD fan from the CAA - explain to me how my picking of SIU to be number 1 is a homer vote. xwhistlex

And this CAA Fan had Montanta #1. Go figure. Must be that East Coast bias, GF.

UNH72Plus
November 11th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Agreed. ASU has played one top 25 team and lost, and Elon has played no top 25 teams.

Like I said in another thread, I have Elon at 6, and App at 7. Winner goes to 6, and loser drops to about 10, unless it's bad, then the loser could drop into 12-15.

Not only has Elon not played a top 25 team, they've only played one team with a winning record (Chattanooga @ 5-4). Granted one of those teams was Wake Forest (3-6), but they lost that game 35-7.

This week's game will tell a lot. They rely heavily on their passing attack, averaging over 300 ypg against FCS opponents, and ASU is ranked #42 in pass efficiency defense, giving up just over 115 ypg.

DOME
November 11th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Head to Head matchups tend to, and I think rightfully so, be trumped by recency.

Sure UNI lost to SDSU, but this past week they won. I'm not saying they're both ranked where they belong, just that voters look at the most recent events first.

McNeese beat App St, but anyone arguing that McNese should be above App should have a ballot rejected. Likewise with Umass and UNH.

Fact is at the end of the year, if both SDSU and UNI are 8-3, voters and the comittee will see the Bunnies dropping two of three and UNI winning three straigth.

Easiest solution is to win out.

WileECoyote06
November 11th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Head to Head matchups tend to, and I think rightfully so, be trumped by recency.

Sure UNI lost to SDSU, but this past week they won. I'm not saying they're both ranked where they belong, just that voters look at the most recent events first.

McNeese beat App St, but anyone arguing that McNese should be above App should have a ballot rejected. Likewise with Umass and UNH.

Fact is at the end of the year, if both SDSU and UNI are 8-3, voters and the comittee will see the Bunnies dropping two of three and UNI winning three straigth.

Was coming to type the same thing. xthumbsupx

Green and Yellow
November 11th, 2009, 10:19 AM
First of all congratulations to the Salukis on both your MVFC Championship and the number one in the polls. Should be a great fight to the end for seeding and playoff berths.

Good Luck Bunnies against the gophs.
GO MISSOURI VALLEY!

ElonPride
November 11th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Not only has Elon not played a top 25 team, they've only played one team with a winning record (Chattanooga @ 5-4). Granted one of those teams was Wake Forest (3-6), but they lost that game 35-7.

This week's game will tell a lot. They rely heavily on their passing attack, averaging over 300 ypg against FCS opponents, and ASU is ranked #42 in pass efficiency defense, giving up just over 115 ypg.

Wake is 4-6 and lost 5 of those game by a combined 13 points. Wake's not a bad team, taking #10 GT to OT and losing to #19 Miami by a single point.

App is also giving up about 180 passing per game, not 115........

Also, you had a double negative in the first sentence. If I recall correctly, Furman was ranked in two of the three major polls when both teams took the field.

msupokes1
November 11th, 2009, 10:41 AM

Why should people that have McNeese above App have there ballot rejected. What has App done since McNeese beat them that is so impressive. They have the exact same records. McNeese lost to a FBS school and so did App. McNeese lost to a top 25 school (SFA) and so did App (McNeese). McNeese beat a top 10 school (App). And who has App beat? This is nothing against App because I think they are really good. I just do not understand what they have done to be ranked so much ahead of McNeese.

uofmman1122
November 11th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Also, you had a double negative in the first sentence. If I recall correctly, Furman was ranked in two of the three major polls when both teams took the field.Ugh...xrolleyesx

Congrats, Furman was over-ranked when you played them. You're like the SIU fans bragging about beating the "#2 Team in the country" in UNI.

Furman isn't one of the best 25 teams right now, and UNI most certainly isn't the 2nd best team in the nation.

As someone said in another thread, Wofford was ranked pretty high at the beginning of the year, but we aren't handing out prizes for teams who beat them. (No offense Wofford. I really like your team and program, and I wish you guys were in the Socon race again)

Squealofthepig
November 11th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Re, McNeese and App State - this really comes down to how people are voting - body of work vs. how good they think the team actually is. Both approaches have their shortcomings, but neither is explicitly wrong.

A body of work voter could justify ranking McNeese over ASU as they know how the teams did facing each other. (And they could just as easily look at McNeese's losses and vote them below). I personally would have ASU over McNeese, as I think they are finding their rhythm and TODAY are the better team (and thus would be a vote based on how good I think the teams actually are). But I wouldn't automatically call anyone who puts McNeese above ASU an unworthy voter, unless they're voting McNeese like #2 and ASU #24 or something like that. Just differences in voting approaches.

msupokes1
November 11th, 2009, 10:57 AM
I just don't see the resume as being anymore impressive. Only one win over a team with a winning record. I don't think they are playing any better than McNeese. For the record I think McNeese is overrated because they have no defense but I think the same is true for APP.

APP

Chattanooga 5 4 W 35 20
at Furman 4 5 W 52 27
Ga Southern 4 5 W 52 16
at Wofford 3 6 W 44 34
NC Central 2 7 W 55 21
at Citadel 4 5 W 30 27 ot
Samford 4 5 W 20 7
McNeese St 7 2 L 35 40
East Carolina 5 4 L 24 29

McN

Sam Houston St 4 5 W 63 42
at Nicholls St 1 8 W 38 17
SE Louisiana 6 3 W 36 35
Northwestern LA 0 9 W 51 23
at SF Austin 7 2 L 13 16
at Tulane 3 6 L 32 42
Savannah St 2 6 W 56 0
at Appalachian St 7 2 W 40 35
Henderson St 3 7 W 27 24

UNH72Plus
November 11th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Wake is 4-6 and lost 5 of those game by a combined 13 points. Wake's not a bad team, taking #10 GT to OT and losing to #19 Miami by a single point.

App is also giving up about 180 passing per game, not 115........

Also, you had a double negative in the first sentence. If I recall correctly, Furman was ranked in two of the three major polls when both teams took the field.

You're correct that Wake is 4-6 and that ASU is giving up 180 ypg passing, the 115 is their pass defense efficiency.

However, there is no double negative. They have not beat a top 25 team and they have not played more than one team with a winning record.

The bottom line is that this week's game is their biggest test of the year against an FCS team.

BlackNGold
November 11th, 2009, 01:33 PM

You best be getting a speech together then... there's no way you guys get a seed

UNH Fanboi
November 11th, 2009, 01:49 PM
You best be getting a speech together then... there's no way you guys get a seed

The only scenario that will really piss me off is if UNH beats W&M, W&M beats Richmond, and ASU beats Elon. UNH would be the only other team with a 10-1 record, 2 top 10 wins, and an FBS win (albeit a crappy one). If both UNH and Richmond beat W&M, then I can't really complain about Richmond getting a seed over UNH (though I will be bitching if ASU or Elon gets a seed over 2 10-1 CAA teams).

Anyway, I'm pretty much mentally prepared for UNH being put in the "Western bracket" and getting shipped out to SDSU, UNI or SIU in the first round and playing SIU or Montana in the second round if they win.

WildCat In The Hat
November 12th, 2009, 01:18 PM

Hypothetical of course....
Richmond, Nova and UNH win out and all finish with one loss. UNH gets AQ by way of Nova winning South due to head to head win over Richmond. UNH then gets AQ due to head to head win over Nova. UNH doesn't get a seed at that point? I believe they do and would think Nova gets a seed and Montana and SIU (CAA couldn't get three seeds could they??-ok that was just to get a rise out of the haters-or was it?).

Now, if Nova doesn't win out and and Richmond and UNH do, Richmond would get AQ due to number of road wins. I still think UNH is a seed along with Richmond, Montana, SIU.

I'm leaving Elon and App out of the equation because I think if UNH wins out they jump them due to strength of schedule.

Having said that, we are just going to worry about a very good William & Mary team.

molly
November 12th, 2009, 01:31 PM
The committee doesn't care who wins the AQ.

WildCat In The Hat
November 12th, 2009, 02:03 PM
yeah you're right, winning the AQ in the top league in the country carries no weight whatsoever....

GannonFan
November 12th, 2009, 03:00 PM
yeah you're right, winning the AQ in the top league in the country carries no weight whatsoever....

If the AQ is won by means of going to the 4th or 5th level of tiebreak then yes, it doesn't carry much weight. The selection committtee is not beholden to a league's tiebreaking criteria - they can have their own means of evaluating teams with identical records. Just because the CAA has their own method it doesn't mean the selection committee needs to adopt the same method. xpeacex

WrenFGun
November 12th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Can someone explain this lack of respect for UNH.

Appalachian State will not have a resume that compares to UNH at 9-2, nevermind 10-1. In no way to do they deserve a seed regardless of winning the SoCon. Same level of losses, fewer quality wins. Elon is in the same boat.

Currently, UNH has the best win in the CAA and would be the best 10-1 resume in the CAA if they win out. There is absolutely, positively no reason UNH would not get a seed if they win out. In fact, they should be the #1 team in the country.

That said, I expect them to lose to W&M next week so it's null and void. I think most people are considering it under similar circumstances.

ElonPride
November 12th, 2009, 03:24 PM
You're correct that Wake is 4-6 and that ASU is giving up 180 ypg passing, the 115 is their pass defense efficiency.

However, there is no double negative. They have not beat a top 25 team and they have not played more than one team with a winning record.

The bottom line is that this week's game is their biggest test of the year against an FCS team.

Agreed!

YoUDeeMan
November 12th, 2009, 03:46 PM

Everyone in the CAA knew Richmond was better than JMU...hands down. After seeing the Griz a few times, there was no doubt that Richmond would dominate them. Heck, UNI would have also drummed the Griz...UNI was a damned good team.

And nova, who was also better than JMU, found a way to lose both games in the last 2 minutes to JMU (an excessive celebration penalty resulted in the Wildcats kicking off from the 15 on JMU's winning drive). nova would have taken care of the Griz. xnodx

Montana would have been 2nd or 3rd (SIU probably would have beaten the Griz)in the MVC, and third in the CAA South, and possibly 4th in the CAA as UNH would have been on par with the Griz. Congrats. xthumbsupx

JMU, and W&M would have been second in the Big Fluffy Sky.

Silenoz
November 12th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Everyone in the CAA knew Richmond was better than JMU...hands down. After seeing the Griz a few times, there was no doubt that Richmond would dominate them. Heck, UNI would have also drummed the Griz...UNI was a damned good team.

And nova, who was also better than JMU, found a way to lose both games in the last 2 minutes to JMU (an excessive celebration penalty resulted in the Wildcats kicking off from the 15 on JMU's winning drive). nova would have taken care of the Griz. xnodx

Montana would have been 2nd or 3rd (SIU probably would have beaten the Griz)in the MVC, and third in the CAA South, and possibly 4th in the CAA as UNH would have been on par with the Griz. Congrats. xthumbsupx

xlolx

Well we may as well just pack it in. We can't compete

MaximumBobcat
November 12th, 2009, 04:37 PM

Replacing IF's with would's.

Nice.

Grrrrriz
November 12th, 2009, 04:51 PM

This is ridiculous. You can tell yourself whatever you want. Richmond was better than Montana last year...Thats it. The records, and national championship appearances don't lie. As well, Villanova couldn't have beat JMU, or else they wouldn't have lost.....twice....who was the only fcs team to beat the vaunted Rodney Landers, and JMU last year...The CAA champs. at their house....#1 seed...who was it....who was it...no, it wasn't Villanova...they lost to JMU, oh and it certainly wasn't Delaware....UNI? no...who is it? Oh yeah, The Montana Grizzlies, from all the way across the country, and beat the #1 team in the country. We would have been 2nd in the CAA, and first in the MVC. We made it to the NC, and we had to go through JMU to get there...which we did. Richmond was better than us last year, thats for sure and I have no problem saying that. I have like them since they came to WA GRIZ a while back. Your argument is simple conjecture, it holds no water. These are the facts.

UNH Fanboi
November 12th, 2009, 06:11 PM
This is getting out of hand. Who cares about last year? Some teams won some close games, some lost them. Maybe with a couple of different breaks Villanova could have been champ. The top 4 to 8 teams are so even every year that there's always going to be some luck involved. THAT'S FOOTBALL. Montana was a great team last year and earned their spot in the NC game.

WildCat In The Hat
November 12th, 2009, 08:47 PM
If the AQ is won by means of going to the 4th or 5th level of tiebreak then yes, it doesn't carry much weight. The selection committtee is not beholden to a league's tiebreaking criteria - they can have their own means of evaluating teams with identical records. Just because the CAA has their own method it doesn't mean the selection committee needs to adopt the same method. xpeacex

Not sure what you're referring to GF-my scenario is the 1st level of tiebreaker-it's called head to head. If UNH were to win out, they'll get a seed. And noone said the selection commitee has to adopt the same method as the CAA-maybe you should reread the post.

UNH Fanboi
November 12th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Not sure what you're referring to GF-my scenario is the 1st level of tiebreaker-it's called head to head. If UNH were to win out, they'll get a seed. And noone said the selection commitee has to adopt the same method as the CAA-maybe you should reread the post.

Last year UNI got a seed over SIU despite them having the same record and SIU having beaten UNI in the regular season.