PDA

View Full Version : UTC's Huseman

gophoenix
November 8th, 2009, 06:54 PM
I have to say, I am impressed by the UTC turnaround. Huseman has got to be a lock for SoCon coach of the year. I think UTC needs to be given a lot of props for the season they've put together.

DX Man
November 8th, 2009, 06:59 PM
I have to say, I am impressed by the UTC turnaround. Huseman has got to be a lock for SoCon coach of the year. I think UTC needs to be given a lot of props for the season they've put together.

On that we can agree Mr. GoPhoenixxthumbsupx

Saint3333
November 8th, 2009, 07:01 PM
I said that as I left the stadium yesterday. Once he gets another recruiting class or two in there UTC will likely set the bar defensively.

chattanoogamocs
November 8th, 2009, 07:05 PM
You are getting your s and e backwards...Huesman.

Thanks for the recognition...and don't worry...UTC, the administration, the students, the alumnae, the fans...the city of Chattanooga in general, are giving Russ and the team a lot of props.

The easiest way to see this is record levels of giving to the athletics department...and the large increase in attendance.

Huesman looks to be a lock for one bonus in his first season...if they average 10K for the season, he gets a 10K bonus. They only need about 8K to show up Saturday to make that goal (and considering they have averaged over 8K for every game, I think that one is pretty much a lock).

The fact that Russ is an alumnus...and was a member of 3 SoCon championship teams (and he openly states that leading his alma mater is the only head coaching job he will ever want)...has him quickly ascending to legend status here in the 'noog.

...if he keep winning, of course. :)

(He also gets bonus points for his hard work in getting good kids, kids that want to graduate...and publicly stating he didn't want any JUCO's and only select transfers...those with 3 or more years remaining)

AppStsGr8
November 8th, 2009, 07:11 PM
I totally agree. Huesman has made a tremendous difference already at UTC. If I had a vote for SoCon COY, Huesman would definitely get it this year.

T-Dog
November 8th, 2009, 07:17 PM
I know some people question his play calling at the end of the game yesterday, but to get his team out of a 21-0 hole five minutes in to have the chance to go up in the 4th quarter in Boone is impressive.

Compare that to the mood surrounding the App/UTC game last year (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51510), it's quite the turnaround.

chattanoogamocs
November 8th, 2009, 07:28 PM
I know some people question his play calling at the end of the game yesterday, but to get his team out of a 21-0 hole five minutes in to have the chance to go up in the 4th quarter in Boone is impressive.

Compare that to the mood surrounding the App/UTC game last year (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51510), it's quite the turnaround.

Wow...great find.

Last season was the Mocs worst in their 105 years of football.

T-Dog
November 8th, 2009, 07:30 PM
I've remember thinking your stadium was too nice to have such a bad team in it.

Of course, I said the same thing about Elon in 2005 and well.....

ASU_MBA
November 8th, 2009, 08:18 PM
They will win a SoCon championship in the next 3 years.....write it down......That D is for real and will only get better with his own recruits....Coleman will be a great QB with more time and some skill players around him...

longtimemocfan
November 9th, 2009, 12:30 AM
He has definitely changed the perspective in the community on where the program is headed. It's been a long time coming. :)

americanterrier
November 9th, 2009, 07:15 AM
Four BCS transfers and about a dozen JUCO recruits didn't hurt the program either. Will the quick fix be in the best interest of the program in the long run?

centraljerseycat
November 9th, 2009, 07:41 AM
Your positive feeling towards Coach Huesman will change in late December when Mike London takes the Virginia job and Huesman leaves his alma mater to return to Richmond. :(

jaxstatealum
November 9th, 2009, 10:21 AM
I'm glad they have turned it around! Nooga is a great place to play and watch a game.

It's also a great rivalry game for us. Makes winning next year even better :D

chattanoogamocs
November 9th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Four BCS transfers and about a dozen JUCO recruits didn't hurt the program either. Will the quick fix be in the best interest of the program in the long run?

Great first post...making an assertion with no facts to back it up. xthumbsupx

Huesman did not recruit a single JUCO (that was the past head coach who spent his whole 6 years trying quick fixes) and he stated in his press conference that he wouldn't take any JUCO's and would only take transfers if they had 3 more years of eligibility.

So the "about" 16 transfers you claim is actually more like 3...and all of them met the above criteria of being freshmen and sophomores.

You'll get to see two more years of that "quick fix" BJ Coleman at QB.

chattanoogamocs
November 9th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Your positive feeling towards Coach Huesman will change in late December when Mike London takes the Virginia job and Huesman leaves his alma mater to return to Richmond. :(

Tell ya what, I bet you a $100 donation that Russ is still in Chattanooga after this season. If I am right, you donate $100 to the Chattanooga program, if I am wrong, I will be happy to donate $100 to whichever school you choose.

(Note: I know AGS is real strict about some things...so if this post violates some sort of policy or rule, I apologize and ask you to delete it)

americanterrier
November 9th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Not taking a swipe at the obvious improvement, just stating statistics taken from information published in a gameday program. You provided the information, I commented on it. Take your gripe to the SID.............Build it based on a "quick-fix" of transfers and you have no loyalty in your foundation players is the school of thought east of the Tennessee.

Eight Legger
November 9th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Congrats to Russ (and former Spider QB Will Healy, who is also on staff)! Those of us at UR aren't surprised at all that he's turned things around so quickly down there. I wouldn't expect him to take our job if London leaves after this year either.

chattanoogamocs
November 9th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Not taking a swipe at the obvious improvement, just stating statistics taken from information published in a gameday program. You provided the information, I commented on it. Take your gripe to the SID.............Build it based on a "quick-fix" of transfers and you have no loyalty in your foundation players is the school of thought east of the Tennessee.

Does UTC have a bunch of JUCO's and transfer on their team? Yes, they do.

Did Russ Huesman recruit them? No.

So again, yes, the past coaching staff did try to use quick fixes...the new coaching staff hasn't.

My only argument with you is that you painted the picture that Huesman is trying to quick fix things when he is not. He is only trying to get the most out of what he was left from last the last coach.

Notes on the 2009 recruiting class (Huesman's first class) from GoMocs.com

* 15 members, all from either Georgia or Tennessee
* 14 are current high school seniors
* 1 transfer who is currently enrolled as a true freshman
* 2 with at least a two-star rating by Rivals.com and Scout.com
* 7 earned all-state recognition during their prep careers
* 1 finalist for the Tennessee Mr. Football Award
* 4 from Tennessee
* 11 from Georgia
* 3 from the Chattanooga area
* 9 expected to contribute on offense – 2 QBs, 2 WRs, 2OL, 2 FBs, 1 RB
* 6 expected to contribute on defense – 1 LB, 3 DBs, 2 Des
* 9 honor role/National Honor Society/Beta Club students
* 3 earned Scholar-Athlete of the Year/Student of the Year/Top Student honors

(they only person not included in this is BJ Coleman, who came in way after signing day...so Huesman's first class has 14 high schoolers and two transfers...both of which had 3 more years left)

Huesman has stated that the only way to build a program is to not only recruit high school kids, but to pretty much redshirt all of them (I think his quote was "unless their good enough to start right out of the gate, they are getting redshirted").

There are no quick fixes for Huesman...this year has actually been a pleasant surprise...getting BJ Coleman really jumped started things as the Mocs were pretty weak (that is me being kind) at QB.

Most Moc fans would expect it to take 3 or 4 years to really be competitive again and most of us would not be surprised if the overall record takes a step back next year. The schedule will be much more difficult next year (dropping DII and Presbyterian...while adding EKU and JSU).

I am not mad at ya, it is just a sore spot with most Moc fans when the JUCO quick fix is mentioned...none of us liked it either...that route got the Mocs 6 wins in the past 3 seasons. Not relying on the quick fix is yet another reason Huesman got the job (another big reason was his dedication to only recruiting kids that really want an education...also not a strong suit of our last coach)

AppStsGr8
November 9th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Good write-up. Since Chattanooga, quite literally, sits on the TN / GA state line, it makes great sense that he'd have plenty of GA recruits. Huesman really seems to be interested in building a solid program. I hope he gets the UTC program exactly where he hopes it will go. Here's to many exciting APP-UTC games in the years to come.

DX Man
November 10th, 2009, 09:05 PM

IT WILL NOT HAPPENxthumbsupx

URMite
November 10th, 2009, 09:17 PM

Actually I was kinda hoping to see both Huesman & Clawson return without London leaving, so I could see what that coaching brain trust could do. xeekx

chattanoogamocs
November 10th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Good write-up. Since Chattanooga, quite literally, sits on the TN / GA state line, it makes great sense that he'd have plenty of GA recruits. Huesman really seems to be interested in building a solid program. I hope he gets the UTC program exactly where he hopes it will go. Here's to many exciting APP-UTC games in the years to come.

They will see it spread out a little more this year (the staff had very little time to recruit in '09).

He wants to keep the best from the area (Chattanooga/North Georgia)...then go after East/Middle Tennessee, Atlanta, North Florida and North Alabama.

Hopefully the Mocs will get back a scholarship or two this year...and get back some of their practice hours. I can't begin to tell y'all what a mess he inherited.

WMTribe90
November 10th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Huesman is a great coach and person. He has a great defensive mind. He will do things the right way. I'm not surprised at all by the early returns and wish him and the Mocs all the best going forward.

ASU_MBA
November 11th, 2009, 12:55 AM
Actually I was kinda hoping to see both Huesman & Clawson return without London leaving, so I could see what that coaching brain trust could do. xeekx

No way Huesman leaves UTC for Richmond.

AppStsGr8
November 11th, 2009, 08:12 AM
They will see it spread out a little more this year (the staff had very little time to recruit in '09).

He wants to keep the best from the area (Chattanooga/North Georgia)...then go after East/Middle Tennessee, Atlanta, North Florida and North Alabama.

Hopefully the Mocs will get back a scholarship or two this year...and get back some of their practice hours. I can't begin to tell y'all what a mess he inherited.

Having coached behind a program destroying coach before albeit at the highschool rather than college level, I understand a bit of what Huesman is up against. It may take a few years, but it sounds like the school and community are behind him in the effort. That community / school support and time are all he'll need to get things turned around.

phillyAPP
November 11th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Does UTC have a bunch of JUCO's and transfer on their team? Yes, they do.

Did Russ Huesman recruit them? No.

So again, yes, the past coaching staff did try to use quick fixes...the new coaching staff hasn't.

My only argument with you is that you painted the picture that Huesman is trying to quick fix things when he is not. He is only trying to get the most out of what he was left from last the last coach.

Notes on the 2009 recruiting class (Huesman's first class) from GoMocs.com

* 15 members, all from either Georgia or Tennessee
* 14 are current high school seniors
* 1 transfer who is currently enrolled as a true freshman
* 2 with at least a two-star rating by Rivals.com and Scout.com
* 7 earned all-state recognition during their prep careers
* 1 finalist for the Tennessee Mr. Football Award
* 4 from Tennessee
* 11 from Georgia
* 3 from the Chattanooga area
* 9 expected to contribute on offense – 2 QBs, 2 WRs, 2OL, 2 FBs, 1 RB
* 6 expected to contribute on defense – 1 LB, 3 DBs, 2 Des
* 9 honor role/National Honor Society/Beta Club students
* 3 earned Scholar-Athlete of the Year/Student of the Year/Top Student honors

(they only person not included in this is BJ Coleman, who came in way after signing day...so Huesman's first class has 14 high schoolers and two transfers...both of which had 3 more years left)

Huesman has stated that the only way to build a program is to not only recruit high school kids, but to pretty much redshirt all of them (I think his quote was "unless their good enough to start right out of the gate, they are getting redshirted").

There are no quick fixes for Huesman...this year has actually been a pleasant surprise...getting BJ Coleman really jumped started things as the Mocs were pretty weak (that is me being kind) at QB.

Most Moc fans would expect it to take 3 or 4 years to really be competitive again and most of us would not be surprised if the overall record takes a step back next year. The schedule will be much more difficult next year (dropping DII and Presbyterian...while adding EKU and JSU).

I am not mad at ya, it is just a sore spot with most Moc fans when the JUCO quick fix is mentioned...none of us liked it either...that route got the Mocs 6 wins in the past 3 seasons. Not relying on the quick fix is yet another reason Huesman got the job (another big reason was his dedication to only recruiting kids that really want an education...also not a strong suit of our last coach)

NO need to defend UTC... It is all allowed in the rule book and THE MOC's are moving forward and focusing on the positive. I sit behind the visitors bench and let me tell you how GREAT it was to see the MOC players focus on the game and not the fans in the stands. I happen to be one that was trying to have some fun with #5 the linebacker who 2 years ago was entertaining with us. This year NOT 1 player addressed the APP fans..... The MOC's are focused .... and it will pay dividends in the near future !

chattanoogamocs
November 14th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Mocs secure a winning season (only their 2nd in 12 years) with an exciting comeback win over The Citadel.

It was scary earlier (again)...

The Citadel was up 21-0 in the 2nd quarter and 21-3 at the half.

Mocs outscored the Bulldogs 28-7 in the 2nd half, winning 31-28.

Huesman gets a $10,000 bonus because Chattanooga averaged of 10K in attendance this season.