PDA

View Full Version : State of EMERGENCY for the MEAC!!!!!

WestCoastAggie
November 7th, 2009, 06:04 PM
MEAC Commissioner Dennis Thomas is quoted at the HU-SCSU game that he is moving forward with bringing back the Heritage Bowl in 2011 and is working to find sponsorship to for the game that will ensure a 1 million dollar plus payout for both teams/Conferences.

He is working on a proposal to bring to the Member schools ASAP.

The pressure has just increased 10 fold for SCSU. They are now playing for survival of a Conference because if Dennis (Uncle Tom)as gets his wish, 3 conferences will be out of the playoffs because of "tradition" (money).

Some of you all may not care because you all think we are an "inferior" conference with inferior teams but if the MEAC forgoes the playoffs, The FCS will be hurt tremendously. Other conferences may follow suit and before you know it, we will have a stupid-azz bowl system like the F(BS). Aren't the playoffs what make FCS better than the B(c)S???

TexasTerror
November 7th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Here we go again...

Why does Dennis Thomas keep bringing this up? I would be interested what the Presidents & ADs of the MEAC schools say to him in response...

The MEAC has taken huge leaps and bounds the last few years. There are some dead weight schools, but that is the case in EVERY league from the Big Sky (hey Idaho State!) in the West to the CAA in the East (go RI!)... :)

If the MEAC leaves the playoffs for the Heritage Bowl or at the very least does not retain the #1 team going to the playoffs, it will be a disgrace.

With the playoffs expanding, the MEAC is very much in line for TWO teams annually!

WestCoastAggie
November 7th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Here we go again...

Why does Dennis Thomas keep bringing this up? I would be interested what the Presidents & ADs of the MEAC schools say to him in response...

The MEAC has taken huge leaps and bounds the last few years. There are some dead weight schools, but that is the case in EVERY league from the Big Sky (hey Idaho State!) in the West to the CAA in the East (go RI!)... :)

If the MEAC leaves the playoffs for the Heritage Bowl or at the very least does not retain the #1 team going to the playoffs, it will be a disgrace.

With the playoffs expanding, the MEAC is very much in line for TWO teams annually!

He says he is working out the details about the payout but in his mind, like the teams in the SWAC, it is about the money.

I don't understand how we can raise funds for our schools like everyone else. WE can get our Alumni to donate and we can get corporate sponsorship so why are we doing this.

BTW: if we do this, and somehow are successful with getting money from this, other conferences my not be far behind. The next thing you know, we are like the daymn B(c)S!

TexasTerror
November 7th, 2009, 06:22 PM
He says he is working out the details about the payout but in his mind, like the teams in the SWAC, it is about the money.

Unless the payout is really, really worth it - why consider it at all? Each MEAC school better be in line to make $500-1M apiece in my opinion...and even then, if I were the MEAC, I would want my conference champion in the playoffs!

The SWAC is hurting even more financially since the attendance is in the dumps this year and may not be tops in FCS for the second time in the last few. No Katrina and Rita to blame this time...

DSUrocks07
November 7th, 2009, 06:25 PM
MEAC Commissioner Dennis Thomas is quoted at the HU-SCSU game that he is moving forward with bringing back the Heritage Bowl in 2011 and is working to find sponsorship to for the game that will ensure a 1 million dollar plus payout for both teams/Conferences.

The pressure has just increased 10 fold for SCSU. They are now playing for survival of a Conference because if Dennis (Uncle Tom)as gets his wish, 3 conferences will be out of the playoffs because of "tradition" (money).

Some of you all may not care because you all think we are an "inferior" conference with inferior teams but if the MEAC forgoes the playoffs, The FCS will be hurt tremendously. Other conferences may follow suit and before you know it, we will have a stupid-azz bowl system like the F(BS). Aren't the playoffs what make FCS better than the B(c)S???

xnonono2xxnonono2xxnonono2x

if this abomination goes through, you will see the MEAC implode on itself. xnodx

The Commish can snatch up some more of the CIAA and SIAC schools to form a new MEAC conference if this is what he wants. All the more reason for DSU to go the independent route in my mind.

WestCoastAggie
November 7th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Unless the payout is really, really worth it - why consider it at all? Each MEAC school better be in line to make $500-1M apiece in my opinion...and even then, if I were the MEAC, I would want my conference champion in the playoffs!

The SWAC is hurting even more financially since the attendance is in the dumps this year and may not be tops in FCS for the second time in the last few. No Katrina and Rita to blame this time...
And we basically screw ourselves in recruiting too. This is just the dumbest thing I heard.

BTW: there can't be a "true 'HBCU' champion" because not all HBCU's compete in football at the HBCU level and Blacks can play football at non-HBCU's.

DSUrocks07
November 7th, 2009, 06:30 PM
And we basically screw ourselves in recruiting too. This is just the dumbest thing I heard.

BTW: there can't be a "true 'HBCU' champion" because not all HBCU's compete in football at the HBCU level and Blacks can play football at non-HBCU's.

And HBCUs all compete at different divisions as well. This is a stupid idea. xnodx

TexasTerror
November 7th, 2009, 06:31 PM

Correct!

Hence why I call the Black College National Championship "mythical". It's just as "mythical" as that crystal ball those FBS schools fight over. Not played out on the field, but in the polls.

WestCoastAggie
November 7th, 2009, 06:33 PM
And HBCUs all compete at different divisions as well. This is a stupid idea. xnodx

I mean't the same level but i am just that intense about this. I am willing to do anything to prevent this from happening.

Think about the unintended messages this sends to the world: WE aren't good enough to compete so we'll compete with ourselves.

The Civil Rights Movment is over 40 years old. Time to move on and learn how to compete effectively in this world of interegation and globalization

DSUrocks07
November 7th, 2009, 06:45 PM
I mean't the same level but i am just that intense about this. I am willing to do anything to prevent this from happening.

Think about the unintended messages this sends to the world: WE aren't good enough to compete so we'll compete with ourselves.

The Civil Rights Movment is over 40 years old. Time to move on and learn how to compete effectively in this world of interegation and globalization

YES YES AND YES xthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupx

IMO I feel that the message is VERY intended, why else would the SWAC Championship Game exist... xwhistlex

I would hate to see it, but we just might have to move away from having an "All-HBCU" conference to reach that goal. Right now the only HBCU thats not in a HBCU conference is Tennessee State in the OVC. We might need to fan out a bit and see what options we all really have as individual schools/institutions.

SoCon
SLC
Big South
NEC
among others

and also look at building connections with local schools in our respective areas to form a new conference for regional purposes and commitment to the FCS playoffs. Imagine SC State in the SoCon and FAMU in the Big South for example. Wouldn't it be great to see them BOTH in the playoffs and possibly be matched up with each other in the later rounds?

Big Dawg
November 7th, 2009, 07:07 PM
FAMU and SCSU will leave the MEAC if that happens...or we'll do like we used to and skip the Heritage Bowl.

I remember FAMU's former head coach, Billy Joe, deciding not to play in the Heritage Bowl back in 1996. We ended up going to the playoffs and playing Troy State while sending the MEAC's 2nd place team to the Heritage Bowl.

DSUrocks07
November 7th, 2009, 07:08 PM
FAMU and SCSU will leave the MEAC if that happens...

And DSU and A&T will be close behind as well xnodx

WestCoastAggie
November 7th, 2009, 07:14 PM
And DSU and A&T will be close behind as well xnodx
Add NCCU too!

Now that I think about it, I really doubt that this will get past the presidents UNLESS we keep the playoffs and allow the highest ranked team not to receive an invite for the playoffs to play.

That leads to another question, what if a team like Del. St or Morgan or BCU or Howard plays in the game? Will their fans even go to the game???

Big Dawg
November 7th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Add NCCU too!

Now that I think about it, I really doubt that this will get past the presidents UNLESS we keep the playoffs and allow the highest ranked team not to receive an invite for the playoffs to play.

That leads to another question, what if a team like Del. St or Morgan or BCU or Howard plays in the game? Will their fans even go to the game???

xwhistlex

DSUrocks07
November 7th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Add NCCU too!

Which is why I feel like its a terrible idea.

The only teams that should play in this game is SC State, A&T, FAMU, NCCU....and thats it.
And if that were the case then what would be the point of this game in the first place.

Now if those teams were not in the playoffs then it would make sense. but it wouldn't be fair to the other schools in the conference and would lead to more chest-thumping from the haves over the have-nots.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 7th, 2009, 09:01 PM
The best way to prevent this from happening is SCSU making some damage in the playoffs this year.

WestCoastAggie
November 7th, 2009, 09:05 PM
The best way to prevent this from happening is SCSU making some damage in the playoffs this year.

The MEAC's existence is at stake! xwhistlex

WestCoastAggie
November 7th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Which is why I feel like its a terrible idea.

The only teams that should play in this game is SC State, A&T, FAMU, NCCU....and thats it.
And if that were the case then what would be the point of this game in the first place.

Now if those teams were not in the playoffs then it would make sense. but it wouldn't be fair to the other schools in the conference and would lead to more chest-thumping from the haves over the have-nots.

The ironic thing is that those schools have AD's and Alumni that will fight this thing tooth and nail.

The Potted Plant strikes again! xlolx

kirkblitz
November 7th, 2009, 09:16 PM
SCSU PLEASE COME TO THE BIG SOUTH YOUR BAND IS THE ****!!!!!!!!!!!

T-Dog
November 7th, 2009, 09:21 PM

And then the SoCon could add NC A&T and NCCU and convince ETSU to bring back football so we can have 12 teams and pad our schedules with easy wins and get 5 teams in the playoffs like the CAA. xlolx xrulesx

WestCoastAggie
November 7th, 2009, 09:23 PM
And then the SoCon could add NC A&T and NCCU and convince ETSU to bring back football so we can have 12 teams and pad our schedules with easy wins and get 5 teams in the playoffs like the CAA. xlolx xrulesx

And then when A&T and NCCU plays, it would ADD to a Conference's Strength of schedule, for once xlolx

WestCoastAggie
November 7th, 2009, 09:24 PM

Wouldn't they add to the Conference besides having a bangin band?

kirkblitz
November 7th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Wouldn't they add to the Conference besides having a bangin band?

of course but as long as the bring the band i will gladly lose every game to them!

WileECoyote06
November 7th, 2009, 10:20 PM
And then when A&T and NCCU plays, it would ADD to a Conference's Strength of schedule, for once xlolx

lord. . . xlolx

Anyway, the Council of Presidents are Dennis Thomas' bosses. So they must be somewhat supportive of it, because he's been blowing his piehole about this for years. It doesn't seem like he's going to be able to get the MEAC Championship game going with WSSU's withdrawal from the MEAC, so he's gonna try to make money somehow.

gophoenix
November 7th, 2009, 10:36 PM
There was a move not long ago that Del St was seeking Big South for all sports. Maybe that will finally happen. And SC State would be a great addition to the SoCon in my opinion.

I can't imagine A&T, A&M or Hampton being ok with this overall either. NC Central, not sure about. This would be a terrible move in my opinion. Maybe the MEAC does what it did before. #1 goes playoffs, any at large gets the choice. And the best team not in the playoffs goes to the bowl.

hebmskebm
November 8th, 2009, 01:24 AM
Couldn't they bring it back and just send the best team not invited to the FCS playoffs? Would the Heritage Bowl really be that much more profitable with the conference champs rather than the second or third place team from the MEAC? I just can't see why they couldn't do both.

SU Jag
November 9th, 2009, 06:02 AM
Leave it to mofos on here to get it twisted. The heritage bowl plan has been laid out since 07. The meac champions does not, I repeat does not have to participate. Just like the siac champion has a choice between the pioneer bowl and the d-2 playoffs(lone exception tuskegee). Any teams who are playoff elgible would have the choice to do one or the other. And the plan is not to crown an hbcu national champion, its to bring back the heritage bowl. As far as dsu leaving the meac, in the words of most meac fans.........who cares besides the 6 dsu fans that walk the earth. Yall should really read more into what's going on before comming on the board starting a mythical conference shift. And as far as swac attendence being in the "dumps" accoring to tt, you better go check that again. True swac attendance is lower than usual but its still higher that most fcs conferences, don't get it twisted.

OL FU
November 9th, 2009, 06:37 AM
Come on SoCon, Invite SC Statexthumbsupx

TexasTerror
November 9th, 2009, 06:38 AM
Leave it to mofos on here to get it twisted. The heritage bowl plan has been laid out since 07. The meac champions does not, I repeat does not have to participate. Just like the siac champion has a choice between the pioneer bowl and the d-2 playoffs(lone exception tuskegee). Any teams who are playoff elgible would have the choice to do one or the other. And the plan is not to crown an hbcu national champion, its to bring back the heritage bowl. As far as dsu leaving the meac, in the words of most meac fans.........who cares besides the 6 dsu fans that walk the earth. Yall should really read more into what's going on before comming on the board starting a mythical conference shift.

So, the SWAC champion would be interested in playing the #2 or when the playoff expands - #3 team from the MEAC? That's funny.

It's sort of like a bowl game when the champ from a mid-major FBS conference plays the #5 or #6 team from another conference. What will be even more embarrassing is when the MEAC #3 claims the game(s) annually vs the SWAC #1.

And as far as swac attendence being in the "dumps" accoring to tt, you better go check that again. True swac attendance is lower than usual but its still higher that most fcs conferences, don't get it twisted.

Only due to some lingering issues with JSU-Southern being included. As I said the week after that game, if you remove that game, the SWAC took a nice hit. It was reported incorrectly and the NCAA wrote to me that this is commonplace with the SWAC due to the Classics and other odd scheduling agreements (they almost mentioned when ULM played Arkansas in Little Rock in a 'home game' for ULM).

SU Jag
November 9th, 2009, 07:48 AM
Tt do you know the heritage bowl plan, because it sounds like you don't. Go research it and then give me a holla back. As far as the attendance issue, like I stated its still higher than most fcs conferences. Only 1 time in the last 20 something years have we finished 2nd. And if you look at the highest attended fcs games this year almost all of the are swac games.

henfan
November 9th, 2009, 07:59 AM
There was a move not long ago that Del St was seeking Big South for all sports. Maybe that will finally happen.

When the previous president, Dr. Sessoms, came on board, DSU was considering a move that would have placed their FB program in the Big South & Olympic sports in the NEC. Don't know how serious those conversations were, as the Big South didn't seem to have all that much interest in DSU... at least according to Kyle Kallander at the time. The Sessoms admin appeared to be considering a move as part of the school's redefining its institutional profile. Since that time, Sessoms has been forced out and the school seems to have taken a step back from the direction he was leading it.

I wonder if the will would be there right now to move out of the MEAC, given the uncertainty in leadership at the school. The new incoming admin might not think the FB playoff issue is such a big deal or want to take the risk of upsetting Olympic sport rivalries for the sake of a single sport.

I fifnd it hard to believe that Thomas would/could go off half cocked about the bowl proposal. He's likely getting his marching orders from at least some of his constituents.

bosshogg
November 9th, 2009, 08:05 AM
this is no emergency to SCSU fans. If this happens, we will leave and go to the Big South, or if the SoCon invites us, maybe there. I think our program has earned us the respect that others would want us. Coach Pough has stated too many times that he is not building his program just to compete on the HBCU level.

Most of our hardcore fans, including me, want us to leave the MEAC, regardless of whether Thomas pushes this through or not.

Thomas talks this mess, but the bottom line is this. He cant raise the money he is promising, and if he could push this change through, he'd have done it by now. He is just blowing smoke out of his arse as usual.

SCSU and our fans would be perfectly happy plying Coastal and Presbyterian, or Furman and Wofford or App state.

So Thomas can do whatever he needs to do.....as long as he knows that SCSU will do what WE need to do as well.

SU Jag
November 9th, 2009, 08:39 AM
I doubt if it comes down to that. Sc state would probably never play in the heritage bowl anyway, nor should they if they have the ability to play in the fcs playoffs. Like I stated earlier, people caught on the the heritage bowl idea with knowing what was going on. They way the idea is and the way it was presented on this board are night and day apart. Mofos should read and get an understanding before they post, but I guess that's asking for too much.

henfan
November 9th, 2009, 09:19 AM
SU Jag, I've seen the idea to revive the Heritage Bowl discussed by Thomas in two ways, one of which would involve the MEAC champ not having the option to forego the bowl game in favor of the NCAA tournament.

If the Heritage Bowl were to again involve a MEAC runner-up, instead of the MEAC champ, who's to say the game wouldn't suffer the same underwhelming attendance issues as before? The game would seem to stand a much better chance for success if MEAC champs weren't given the option, assuming most would opt for the playoffs if given the choice.

Too bad the Heritage Bowl couldn't be played after the conclusion of the NCAA playoffs to allow the SWAC and MEAC champions the availability of competiting in both.

Sly Fox
November 9th, 2009, 09:28 AM
Or perhaps the SWAC & MEAC champs playing in the Heritage Bowl as their first round of the playoffs since both would AQs. Best of both worlds IMHO.

AppStsGr8
November 9th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Man, that would stink! The SCSU - App game last year was one of my favorites. Great team, great fans. Leave the MEAC where they are!

WestCoastAggie
November 9th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Leave it to mofos on here to get it twisted. The heritage bowl plan has been laid out since 07. The meac champions does not, I repeat does not have to participate. Just like the siac champion has a choice between the pioneer bowl and the d-2 playoffs(lone exception tuskegee). Any teams who are playoff elgible would have the choice to do one or the other. And the plan is not to crown an hbcu national champion, its to bring back the heritage bowl. As far as dsu leaving the meac, in the words of most meac fans.........who cares besides the 6 dsu fans that walk the earth. Yall should really read more into what's going on before comming on the board starting a mythical conference shift. And as far as swac attendence being in the "dumps" accoring to tt, you better go check that again. True swac attendance is lower than usual but its still higher that most fcs conferences, don't get it twisted.

What's in the past is in the past. ALL MEACFans and Schools have to go on is what that damn Potted Plant says and he says he is working to bring it back in 2011 and say bye-bye to the playoffs.

And there are WAY more fans and Admin. pissed off about this than those 6 DSU fans. xmadx

WestCoastAggie
November 9th, 2009, 09:45 AM
SU Jag, I've seen the idea to revive the Heritage Bowl discussed by Thomas in two ways, one of which would involve the MEAC champ not having the option to forego the bowl game in favor of the NCAA tournament.

If the Heritage Bowl were to again involve a MEAC runner-up, instead of the MEAC champ, who's to say the game wouldn't suffer the same underwhelming attendance issues as before? The game would seem to stand a much better chance for success if MEAC champs weren't given the option, assuming most would opt for the playoffs if given the choice.

Too bad the Heritage Bowl couldn't be played after the conclusion of the NCAA playoffs to allow the SWAC and MEAC champions the availability of competiting in both.

You think Attendance is bad now at SOME MEAC Schools. Lets Mess around and Howard, BCU, DEL.ST Morgan or Hampton is picked and has to travel to Birmingham, AL. xwhistlexxwhistlex

It is a STUPID IDEA!!! If we are that concerned about money, then we need to bring a Commissioner that KNOWS how to raise money without the MEAC looking to give up the FCS Playoffs.

They Playoffs, along with educating Student-Athletes and graduating them and keeping them healthy should be Top Priority!

WileECoyote06
November 9th, 2009, 10:19 AM
You think Attendance is bad now at SOME MEAC Schools. Lets Mess around and Howard, BCU, DEL.ST Morgan or Hampton is picked and has to travel to Birmingham, AL. xwhistlexxwhistlex

It is a STUPID IDEA!!! If we are that concerned about money, then we need to bring a Commissioner that KNOWS how to raise money without the MEAC looking to give up the FCS Playoffs.

They Playoffs, along with educating Student-Athletes and graduating them and keeping them healthy should be Top Priority!

Just to be fair, Howard has a national fan base. They just suck right now.

3rd Coast Tiger
November 9th, 2009, 10:36 AM

Thanks SU Jag, our Athletic Director laid THE FACTS out to our Maroon & Grey Alumni Club at the beginning of the season.

Some type of Heritage Bowl IS COMING BACK for 2010, however the MEAC will still send it's conference champion to the NCAA FCS playoffs.

It's just fun to sit back and watch what some people claim what they will do or what their alma mater will do when their president, athletic director even the head football coach has never spoken his name! xlolx

I KNOW someone doesn't want to talk about home aTTendence!!!

3rd Coast Tiger
November 9th, 2009, 10:37 AM

You don't have to worry about Birmingham, AL as a travel site after December 12, 2009.

TexasTerror
November 9th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Some type of Heritage Bowl IS COMING BACK for 2010, however the MEAC will still send it's conference champion to the NCAA FCS playoffs.

If the MEAC is involved and with the playoffs expanding, that could be the MEAC #3 team.

The SWAC knows how to take losses in the postseason. Won't be pretty if it's the MEAC #3 making the trek to the new form of Heritage Bowl.

SU Jag
November 9th, 2009, 12:09 PM
The meac champ will be in the playoffs along with any other meac playoff elgible teams. As far as birmingham for a site I haven't heard this. All I know is that that birmingham is in negotiations to bring the turkey day classic in from montgomery, an hbcu labor day weekend game to go along with the labor day classic. It would be a great site but you get iffy wheather in birmingham in december.

ASU33
November 9th, 2009, 05:16 PM

What? You're just joking right?xconfusedx

Lehigh Football Nation
November 10th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Wouldn't a Heritage Bowl put an end to the MEAC/SWAC challenge?

WestCoastAggie
November 10th, 2009, 10:12 AM

What? You're just joking right?xconfusedx

Excuse me for that typo, I meant D1 level. I thought I corrected this earlier in the thread. xconfusedx

jstate83
November 10th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Here we go again...

I'll tell you the same thing I told the fans on MEACFANPAGE that don't want to listen.
The MEAC COMMISH works for the COLLEGE PRESIDENTS.,

If the Presidents didn't want their conference to be pushed in this direction the last 3 or 4 years, they would have shut him down long ago.
Behind closed doors, they have already given him the (wink, nod), to move the conference in this direction before anything is voted on.

This don't take brain surgery with the MEAC going to a 2 division format after expansion and a Championship game unless they are going to have a north and south champion every year with no mandate for all teams to play each other withing the conference.
I highly doubt they will do that.

jstate83
November 10th, 2009, 11:26 AM
FAMU and SCSU will leave the MEAC if that happens...or we'll do like we used to and skip the Heritage Bowl.

I remember FAMU's former head coach, Billy Joe, deciding not to play in the Heritage Bowl back in 1996. We ended up going to the playoffs and playing Troy State while sending the MEAC's 2nd place team to the Heritage Bowl.

JSU never played in any Heritage bowls.
Not a single one.
We were alway's in the playoff's if our record was good enough.

MoBear
November 10th, 2009, 12:23 PM
If SCSU, A&T, NCCU, DSU, and FAMU leave the MEAC because of the Heritage Bowl how does that leave the MEAC. I know the Commish works for the presidents but i'm sure all of the presidents are not on board with this and even if those schools decide to leave you have to include there other sports team and how they would perform within the conference. If the main stay of the MEAC leaves then what will become of the MEAC?

NSUSPARTAN
November 10th, 2009, 12:30 PM
The SWAC/MEAC Bowl game was voted on by the MEAC head coaches this summer at the head coaches meeting.

jstate83
November 10th, 2009, 12:41 PM
If SCSU, A&T, NCCU, DSU, and FAMU leave the MEAC because of the Heritage Bowl how does that leave the MEAC. I know the Commish works for the presidents but i'm sure all of the presidents are not on board with this and even if those schools decide to leave you have to include there other sports team and how they would perform within the conference. If the main stay of the MEAC leaves then what will become of the MEAC?

All these school's that would "leave", where would all of you go?
Are there enough FCS conferences within "travel Limit's" that are talking expansion, asking ya'll to come, have shown any interest in inviting you to their conference that can absorb all of you on that list.
How would the other sports fare?
Last but not least, how would the overall alumni feel/act if ya'll did try to leave the MEAC.

Just asking cause saying you will leave and actually doing it are 2 different things.

bosshogg
November 10th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Are there enough FCS conferences within "travel Limit's" that are talking expansion, asking ya'll to come, have shown any interest in inviting you to their conference that can absorb all of you on that list.
Last but not least, how would the overall alumni feel/act if ya'll did try to leave the MEAC.

Just asking cause saying you will leave and actually doing it are 2 different things.

cant speak for anyone else.

If this were to come to pass I feel confident that the Big South would invite us. Maybe not the SOCON.

If we were to join the SOCON, our fanbase would still support, as long as we played a few HBCU's as out of confernce games (FAMU, A&T, etc)

I also feel confident that the fanbases of Coastal, Presbyterian, and Charleston Southern would travel well to our games at SCSU. Coastal has already brought a large crowd when we played them before.

The only fans that would have an issue are some of the older fans who believe that SCSU has to be in the MEAC because SCSU is an HBCU and all HBCU's must be in a HBCU conference. Most fans will support SCSU regardless of conference affiliation because they are SCSU fans....not MEAC fans.

again, I cant speak for any other school, but this would be a win win situation for us. Reduced travel cost, local rivalries, and a continued playoff presence.

Native
November 10th, 2009, 01:02 PM

If more kids get scholarships and financial support in the MEAC, I am all for it! Good for the kids!!!!!

GSUISBACK
November 10th, 2009, 01:29 PM
If what SU Jag says is true and meac teams have the option of playoffs then this is a good deal for them you get the possibility of 3 maybe even 4 teams in post season play and still a shot at a national title.

bosshogg
November 10th, 2009, 01:33 PM
If what SU Jag says is true and meac teams have the option of playoffs then this is a good deal for them you get the possibility of 3 maybe even 4 teams in post season play and still a shot at a national title.

I dont have confidence in our commish to make that happen. He is anti-playoffs. I know its possible to have the playoffs and a heritage bowl, but I have yet to see any statement from him that its what he wants. He could clear all this up by making a simple statement:

"The MEAC wants to provide more post season oppotunities for its schools, as well as another revenue generating opportunity, so we have put together a plan such that our conference champ will represent us in the FCS playoffs, and the 2nd place team will represent us in the Heritage Bowl. We want our conference to compete with the rest of the best in the country in the playoffs, while still giving other schools the opportunity to have post season play."

But Thomas is to stupid to clear it up.....

GOODY26
November 10th, 2009, 01:40 PM
I really don't like the idea of the Heritage Bowl pitting the Meac & Swac champion. I hope that the powers that be remeber that the major of folks favor the playoff system.xthumbsdownxxthumbsdownx

WestCoastAggie
November 10th, 2009, 02:02 PM
If more kids get scholarships and financial support in the MEAC, I am all for it! Good for the kids!!!!!

There is no guarantee of that (more money for Athletics) even happening.

BTW: IF we were so serious about money, where are the other strategies for raising these funds?

WestCoastAggie
November 10th, 2009, 02:03 PM

SOMEONE would invite these schools into their fold. xthumbsupx

Native
November 10th, 2009, 02:31 PM

It's a game. Graduation is the reason for colleges and universities. More money means more kids will stay in school, get degrees, and compete successfully in the global economy. The only message is that the kids come first!

Lehigh Football Nation
November 10th, 2009, 02:34 PM

The Big South and NEC are on the lookout for members I'm sure. I can't speak for everyone, but Delaware State wouldn't be a bad fit in either conference.

The other teams I'm not sure. I think what confuses me most is: which schools are for/against a Heritage Bowl? About all I can say for certain is Delaware State is not interested.

For a long time I heard Hampton was pro-playoffs, but this Heritage Bowl effort seems to be originating from there?

SCSU and FAMU have been vocal proponents for the playoffs. Rumor has it that NCAT has been too?

Would FAMU really break up the "Florida Classic" with B-CU to pursue playoffs? It seems like B-CU is against it, but I'm not sure.

What about Morgan, Howard, Norfolk State?

Why would NCCU leave over playoffs when they've fought hard (and gotten lucky) just to get their foot in the door? They have to be for the Heritage Bowl...

If I'm handicapping this, I'd say:

For Heritage Bowl: Howard, B-CU, Hampton, NCCU
Against: Delaware State, SCSU, FAMU
???: Morgan, Norfolk State, NCAT

If this is indeed the breakdown, there's no consensus whatsoever.

henfan
November 10th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Assuming the MEAC champ doesn't participate in a revived Heritage Bowl, the organizers really wouldn't have addressed one of the reasons the original carnation suffered low attendance. How many would be interested in a game that featured the SWAC champ vs. a MEAC also-ran?

I wish 'em luck but considering the same setup sounds to me like a receipe for failure.

Panther88
November 10th, 2009, 03:15 PM

It's just fun to sit back and watch what some people claim what they will do or what their alma mater will do when their president, athletic director even the head football coach has never spoken his name! xlolx

I KNOW someone doesn't want to talk about home aTTendence!!!

(co-sign) X:__Panther88__

Internet banter at it's best, IMO. We're leaving lol... we're bolting for the SoCon... we'd jet if they commit... blah blah blah. You're not going anywhere unless your system prezy says so.

Sit back and enjoy the ride. xreadx Looking forward to the MEAC competition in Dec 2010. xreadx

jstate83
November 10th, 2009, 03:50 PM
The Big South and NEC are on the lookout for members I'm sure. I can't speak for everyone, but Delaware State wouldn't be a bad fit in either conference.

The other teams I'm not sure. I think what confuses me most is: which schools are for/against a Heritage Bowl? About all I can say for certain is Delaware State is not interested.

For a long time I heard Hampton was pro-playoffs, but this Heritage Bowl effort seems to be originating from there?

SCSU and FAMU have been vocal proponents for the playoffs. Rumor has it that NCAT has been too?

Would FAMU really break up the "Florida Classic" with B-CU to pursue playoffs? It seems like B-CU is against it, but I'm not sure.

Why would NCCU leave over playoffs when they've fought hard (and gotten lucky) just to get their foot in the door? They have to be for the Heritage Bowl...

This is just the tip of the iceberg on things to be considered if this many school's decide to leave a conference basically at the same time or within a few years of each other.

Throw this question and thought into the mix.
IS THE MEAC going to have a conference championship game after the divisions are set?
If so, the MEAC can forget the playoff's because there is no way, I REPEAT--NO WAY, you can have a 2 division conference, play a full slate of 11 games, play a conference championship game, and still be finished in time for the playoff bids to go out on the 3rd Sunday in November.

DSUrocks07
November 10th, 2009, 03:56 PM
cant speak for anyone else.

If this were to come to pass I feel confident that the Big South would invite us. Maybe not the SOCON.

If we were to join the SOCON, our fanbase would still support, as long as we played a few HBCU's as out of confernce games (FAMU, A&T, etc)

I also feel confident that the fanbases of Coastal, Presbyterian, and Charleston Southern would travel well to our games at SCSU. Coastal has already brought a large crowd when we played them before.

The only fans that would have an issue are some of the older fans who believe that SCSU has to be in the MEAC because SCSU is an HBCU and all HBCU's must be in a HBCU conference. Most fans will support SCSU regardless of conference affiliation because they are SCSU fans....not MEAC fans.

again, I cant speak for any other school, but this would be a win win situation for us. Reduced travel cost, local rivalries, and a continued playoff presence.

That above all is the major issue right there...generational differences

DSUrocks07
November 10th, 2009, 04:00 PM
This is just the tip of the iceberg on things to be considered if this many school's decide to leave a conference basically at the same time or within a few years of each other.

Throw this question and thought into the mix.
IS THE MEAC going to have a conference championship game after the divisions are set?
If so, the MEAC can forget the playoff's because there is no way, I REPEAT--NO WAY, you can have a 2 division conference, play a full slate of 11 games, play a conference championship game, and still be finished in time for the playoff bids to go out on the 3rd Sunday in November.

NO!!!

The CAA does just fine with two divisions and no conference title game. So can we. xnodx

Decide the conference title by tiebreaker scenarios, and once the playoffs expand next year, both the North and South champs will be likely to make the field regardless so I don't see the need for a title game.

BulldogWillie
November 10th, 2009, 04:05 PM

Texas Terror,he can move forward with it all he wants. Its gonna end like it did. Corporate sposors pulling out,poor promotions,ect. Its gonna implode on him.xmadxxsmhx

NSUSPARTAN
November 10th, 2009, 06:44 PM
The word is that the vote by the head coach was for the bowl game.

Big Dawg
November 10th, 2009, 07:12 PM
(co-sign) X:__Panther88__

Internet banter at it's best, IMO. We're leaving lol... we're bolting for the SoCon... we'd jet if they commit... blah blah blah. You're not going anywhere unless your system prezy says so.

Sit back and enjoy the ride. xreadx Looking forward to the MEAC competition in Dec 2010. xreadx

Uhhh no...this is FAMU...we know how WE operate.

WestCoastAggie
November 10th, 2009, 08:34 PM
It's a game. Graduation is the reason for colleges and universities. More money means more kids will stay in school, get degrees, and compete successfully in the global economy. The only message is that the kids come first!

Of course they come first, BUT is anyone ASKING them if they want to go to stay in the playoffs, I DON'T THINK SO!

WestCoastAggie
November 10th, 2009, 08:37 PM

A&T's Current Athletic Director, Wheeler Brown (A former NCA&T O Lineman) has been quoted saying he is in favor of the playoffs.

SU Jag
November 10th, 2009, 08:41 PM
I dont have confidence in our commish to make that happen. He is anti-playoffs. I know its possible to have the playoffs and a heritage bowl, but I have yet to see any statement from him that its what he wants. He could clear all this up by making a simple statement:

"The MEAC wants to provide more post season oppotunities for its schools, as well as another revenue generating opportunity, so we have put together a plan such that our conference champ will represent us in the FCS playoffs, and the 2nd place team will represent us in the Heritage Bowl. We want our conference to compete with the rest of the best in the country in the playoffs, while still giving other schools the opportunity to have post season play."

But Thomas is to stupid to clear it up.....

Yall should have fired yalls commish a long time ago. Both he ans the SWAC commish need to be collecting unemployment checks right now! Add SU's A.D to that list also. The play-off elgible MEAC teams should be in the playoffs, and if the MEAC commish pushes for anything different yall should send that mofo packing!xnodx

SU Jag
November 10th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Could you imagine a DSU vs Mississippi Valley Heritage Bowl?xlolx There would be like 4 people therexlolx

Mr. Tiger
November 11th, 2009, 12:06 AM
Let's dismiss with the myth that the Heritage Bowl had poor attendance. It drew 29,000 in its final year and 33,000 the year before. The problem was the game was played at the Georgia Dome. It should have been held at a smaller facility before a sellout crowd, but the organizer tried to move too quickly. Plus NBC dropped the contract and there were less options back then. No ESPNU.

And TT, the reason for the SWAC's falling attendance is because Southern and Jackson State, the two attendance leaders, have struggled this year. These schools also have large travel bases.

SU Jag
November 11th, 2009, 07:38 AM
True. The myth that the heritage bowl was played before a small crowd is just that, a myth. Does anyone know where they plan to play the new heritage bowl? I keep hearing birmingham.

henfan
November 11th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Let's dismiss with the myth that the Heritage Bowl had poor attendance. It drew 29,000 in its final year and 33,000 the year before. The problem was the game was played at the Georgia Dome. It should have been held at a smaller facility before a sellout crowd, but the organizer tried to move too quickly. Plus NBC dropped the contract and there were less options back then. No ESPNU.

That's right but I don't think there's a myth that the game drew a small crowd. The type of attendance the bowl was still drawing even at the end would have been considered terrific for most other FCS games. But that's all relative when you're trying to operate a self-sustaining bowl game. You've got to pay the bills and attendance was poor for the model the organizers had developed. And, as you suggested, NBC did drop the contract, but they did so in part because they were concerned about the downward attendance trend. If the new organizers can somehow scale back their model, they just might be able to get the numbers to work for them.

IMO, I think they're going to struggle unless they can somehow convince the MEAC to send its conference champ to the bowl every year. That seems to be the lynchpin for success.

SU Jag
November 11th, 2009, 08:54 AM
How could you say that when the heritage bowl was just a large as most of the fbs bowl games that you see before january? The heritage bowl was bigger than any other fcs post-season event so lack of interest was not a problem.

813Jag
November 11th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Plus people are forgetting that most years Southern played the runner up or in the case of 1999 the third place team.I can't remember the last champ vs. champ heritage bowl.

WestCoastAggie
November 11th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Here's a question: How are schools in other FCS Conferences surviving and some cases thriving in the 21st century? Maybe we (HBCU's) should use techniques that these successful schools are using to thrive?

Big Dawg
November 11th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Plus people are forgetting that most years Southern played the runner up or in the case of 1999 the third place team.I can't remember the last champ vs. champ heritage bowl.

1995 FAMU vs. Southern....I guess the MEAC didn't have an auto-bid into the playoffs that season???xconfusedx

813Jag
November 11th, 2009, 01:58 PM
The jags and rattlers played two good games that year.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 11th, 2009, 02:20 PM
The word is that the vote by the head coach was for the bowl game.

A&T's Current Athletic Director, Wheeler Brown (A former NCA&T O Lineman) has been quoted saying he is in favor of the playoffs.

OK, so my new handicapping of this would be:

For Heritage Bowl: Howard, B-CU, Hampton, NCCU, Norfolk State
Against: Delaware State, SCSU, FAMU, NCAT
???: Morgan

It still looks messy to me. A break-up really doesn't serve anybody. There's no geographic break possible. Any Heritage Bowl without the blessing of SCSU or FAMU isn't really going to work (IMO), and with the "Florida Classic", MEAC/SWAC Challenge etc. at risk, bringing this up seems like a really stupid idea.

Here's a question that ought to be asked: Can the MEAC survive without FAMU? Because if a Heritage Bowl forces FAMU to (say) the SoCon, what will the MEAC do?

henfan
November 11th, 2009, 02:38 PM
How could you say that when the heritage bowl was just a large as most of the fbs bowl games that you see before january? The heritage bowl was bigger than any other fcs post-season event so lack of interest was not a problem.

Every article I've read in bona fide news sources circa Feb. 2000 "lack of fan support" or "poor attendance" as the reason for cancellation of the Heritage Bowl.

No one is arguing that the event didn't draw well by FCS standards. Unfortunately, the rest of the FCS is not the relative point of comparison here. In this case, poor attendance simply means that interest could keep up with the massive expenses. The bowl wasn't self-sustaining.

HERITAGE BOWL; Game Discontinued After Little Support
Published: Friday, February 11, 2000
The New York Times

The Heritage Bowl, played in Atlanta between two of the predominantly black Division I-AA football conferences, is being discontinued after nine years.

Major reasons were a lack of fan support and the end of a two-year television agreement (1998-1999) between NBC and the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference and Southwestern Athletic Conference.

Last year's game, in which Hampton of the M.E.A.C. beat Southern University, 24-3, drew 29,000 to the 74,000-seat Georgia Dome.

henfan
November 11th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Here's a question that ought to be asked: Can the MEAC survive without FAMU? Because if a Heritage Bowl forces FAMU to (say) the SoCon, what will the MEAC do?

Didn't the MEAC survive and, in fact, expand after FAMU left for a time?

GannonFan
November 11th, 2009, 02:41 PM
1995 FAMU vs. Southern....I guess the MEAC didn't have an auto-bid into the playoffs that season???xconfusedx

Might be - the MEAC didn't always have an auto-bid - that happened sometime in the 90's.

Panther88
November 11th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Uhhh no...this is FAMU...we know how WE operate.

We've seen first hand how "Uhhh no...this is FAMU...we know how WE operate" you ppl do it. Like that "operational" lmao move to FBS a few years ago. How'd that work out for you all? xconfusedx Good job. xthumbsupxxbowx

Right.xlolx Like I said earlier, 2-5 griping folx over the internet who do NOT affect AND effect xreadx the overall decision making process of a prospective school will not move jack squat but their fingers typing on a keyboard over a site like this. lol Also, as I indicated earlier, sit back and enjoy the ride and we CERTAINLY and ASSUREDLY will look forward to seeing you all next year, Dec 2010, if the doors to your respective school(s) is (are) still open. xreadx

WestCoastAggie
November 11th, 2009, 04:10 PM
My problem is this: Why hasn't the Commish simply push the teams to actively pursue the playoffs this decade.

Lets say FAMU, A&T, SCSU & NSU made the playoffs and all 4 had a first round home game. They could walk away with anywhere between250-350K after giving the NCAA their "Cut" ($50-$75K).

Now lets say they host a game in the quarterfinals. Thats another $250-$350K. Then two teams would have a chance to host a Semi-Final game that would bring in another huge amount pending how well their Athletic Dept's market their games. for 2 schools, that is over 1 million added to their budgets and 2 more schools get 500k+ and if we do have that Heritage Bowl feat another squad, that's 5 schools that made money off the playoffs.

Now if tell me how this isn't making sense with Dennis Thomas???

(If I gave any inaccurate info, please correct me.)

WileECoyote06
November 11th, 2009, 04:32 PM
OK, so my new handicapping of this would be:

For Heritage Bowl: Howard, B-CU, Hampton, NCCU, Norfolk State
Against: Delaware State, SCSU, FAMU, NCAT
???: Morgan

It still looks messy to me. A break-up really doesn't serve anybody. There's no geographic break possible. Any Heritage Bowl without the blessing of SCSU or FAMU isn't really going to work (IMO), and with the "Florida Classic", MEAC/SWAC Challenge etc. at risk, bringing this up seems like a really stupid idea.

To the best of MY knowledge; NCCU is in favor of the MEAC representative advancing to the playoffs. Before we began our transition to Division I, we were participating in the Division II playoffs; and drew pretty good crowds for those two playoff games.

I think I'd have the vote like this:
For: Hampton, Howard, UMES (should they restore football in the next five years).
Against: NCCU, NC A&T, SCSU, FAMU, DSU
On the fence: BCU, Morgan, NSU

NSU's scheduling philosophy leads me to think they are against withdrawing from the playoffs unless, Dennis Thomas has already promised them the 'MEAC Championship Game'. If WSSU gets a magical influx of money and remains Division I, I imagine they will follow whatever us and A & T do.

But as I said earlier, if this were not a very real possibility, the council of presidents would have censured him about it already.

SU Jag
November 11th, 2009, 10:00 PM
I did a lil more research about this whole heritage bowl situation. 1st off all I want to say that I'm not for or against the heritage bowl, but I am against it if the meac champ and other playoff elgible teams are not able to participate in the playoffs. I talk to a few people who are grads/ former players at meac schools and the idea of the heritage bowl played well with them. My friend from hampton, loves the idea of the meac championship game and heritage bowl. Hampton used the heritage bowl as a major recruiting tool in the atlanta area exspecially dekalb county( my freind is from redan high in dekalb county). My famu buddy also loved the idea of the heritage bowl so that the 2nd place meac team could get a chance to play in the post-season, which might not happen this year, but he hated the idea of the meac championship game because that would kill the meac/playoffs deal. And last my boi from sc state is a birmingham native who played at sc state from 2000-2004. He hated the meac championship game idea(I do too!), but he loved the thought of the heritage bowl, but just not limited to swac/ meac but to the 2 highest rated hbcu schools which could mean you could get a tennessee state or tuskegee in the game. He hated the idea of the meac champ not getting the chance to compete in the meac. I asked him what he thought about sc state leaving for the socon or another conference and he simply said "hell no"!

ThompsonThe
November 11th, 2009, 11:35 PM
Everyone at Appalachian enjoyed playing SC State last year. I remember them mentioning what great and knowledgeable fans came up to Boone for the playoffs. The SoCon would be a good geographic fit also.

Big Dawg
November 12th, 2009, 12:30 AM
We've seen first hand how "Uhhh no...this is FAMU...we know how WE operate" you ppl do it. Like that "operational" lmao move to FBS a few years ago. How'd that work out for you all? xconfusedx Good job. xthumbsupxxbowx

WTF does that have to do we with this situation...oh wait, that proves that FAMU will BOLT the MEAC in a second...besides, why are talking to me, your school just started playing college football...xcoffeex

Big Dawg
November 12th, 2009, 12:33 AM
Didn't the MEAC survive and, in fact, expand after FAMU left for a time?

No it didn't expand until after we came back...however, FAMU is one of the most visual MEAC schools(no smack agianst the other MEAC schools).

T-Dog
November 12th, 2009, 02:14 AM
Just to add on to the "Where would MEAC schools go?" question, the SoCon currently has 12 members. Only 9 play SoCon football (CofC, UNC-G and Davidson don't). I doubt the SoCon would want anymore full time members unless someone leaves. So the only way any more schools to the SoCon would work is if they were football only and I bet that won't happen.

The Big South is much better fit as they have room to grow (10 current full time members, 6 which play football, 7 total including associate member Stony Brook)

henfan
November 12th, 2009, 08:06 AM
No it didn't expand until after we came back...however, FAMU is one of the most visual MEAC schools(no smack agianst the other MEAC schools).

Are you sure about that? I thought Coppin was added when FAMU left the conference for a few years in the mid-'80s.xchinscratchx

Big Dawg
November 12th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Are you sure about that? I thought Coppin was added when FAMU left the conference for a few years in the mid-'80s.xchinscratchx

I thought you meant most recently(2003-2004).

jstate83
November 12th, 2009, 09:30 AM
True. The myth that the heritage bowl was played before a small crowd is just that, a myth. Does anyone know where they plan to play the new heritage bowl? I keep hearing birmingham.

If they are going to do this again, I say take it to the Memphis Liberty Bowl.
That city know how to put on a 1-AA HBCU show.
Look at the SHC and how they literally set the city out for Tennesse State and JSU.
Every business in that city is geared towards that game when it is played.

That city is so packed for that game, Memphis scheduled Miss State on the same day one year to draw off our crowd at the Liberty Bowl.

813Jag
November 12th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Obviously I can't speak for the entire SWAC, MEAC, or even all Southern fans, but to me there were two main factors that hurt the game 1. it was never on a stable date (the first year Southern played in it the game was on New Year's, then it moved around the month of December) and 2. they should have played it at a smaller stadium (maybe GaTech)

Consider this from a fan's point of view, in 99 Southern played in the Bayou Classic, SWAC Championship game and the Heritage Bowl in a three week span. How would you spend your money. We did two of the three, plus we went to Indy to SU/Hampton play the first time.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 12th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Looking at this again:

HERITAGE BOWL; Game Discontinued After Little Support
Published: Friday, February 11, 2000
The New York Times

The Heritage Bowl, played in Atlanta between two of the predominantly black Division I-AA football conferences, is being discontinued after nine years.

Major reasons were a lack of fan support and the end of a two-year television agreement (1998-1999) between NBC and the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference and Southwestern Athletic Conference.

Last year's game, in which Hampton of the M.E.A.C. beat Southern University, 24-3, drew 29,000 to the 74,000-seat Georgia Dome.

http://www.scsuathletics.com/news/2009/9/6/FBMEACSWACChallenge.aspx

The South Carolina State Bulldogs opened up the 2009 season in style defeating Grambling State 34-31 in the Fifth Annual MEAC/SWAC Challenge in front of a record crowd 21, 367 at the Florida Citrus Bowl in Orlando, Fl.

This would seem to imply that the success of the venture does not mean lack of attendance: rather, lack of a TV contract. If ESPN would broadcast the Heritage Bowl and divvy up the proceeds with the MEAC and SWAC recipients, IMO that's all that would matter. The TV business has changed a lot in ten years.

If ESPN wants to televise the SWAC winner playing the first (or second or third) placed MEAC team and pay for the privilege, why should someone stop them? As long as it doesn't get in the way of the playoffs for the other teams, there shouldn't be an issue.

Here's another thought: What if the SWAC were to abandon their championship game, apply for an autobid to the playoffs, and then the Heritage Bowl simply were a bowl game for the highest-qualifying non-playoff member for the SWAC too?

When the game was dependent on NBC's sponsorship, I could see it being a loser. But let's say ESPN wants to pay for that. I think it could work, even with a pair of second-or third-placed teams. You can't tell me if Grambling and FAMU are the second-placed teams that this would not draw.

I think the issue everyone is having involves the MEAC abandoning the playoffs. If this bowl game doesn't get in the way of that, are there still any issues with the game? If so, there's no impact to the playofs, and only a financial plus for the MEAC.

Panther88
November 12th, 2009, 10:44 AM
WTF does that have to do we with this situation...oh wait, that proves that FAMU will BOLT the MEAC in a second...besides, why are talking to me, your school just started playing college football...xcoffeex

I'm talking to Y-O-U because you're spewing irrelevant rhetoric over the world-wide. :) Also, PVAMU started playing football in 1921. Know your history. xbowxxnonox:p

Big Dawg
November 12th, 2009, 01:31 PM
I'm talking to Y-O-U because you're spewing irrelevant rhetoric over the world-wide. :) Also, PVAMU started playing football in 1921. Know your history. xbowxxnonox:p

Nah...ya'll JUST started playing football...trust me...xsmiley_wixxwhistlex

SCSUBULLDOG1
November 13th, 2009, 07:54 AM
I love SCSU Football and see both sides of the coin but money is not everything. The coverage you get in the playoff's will bring recruits in and make the team better and in turn bring more fans and money in.

IaaScribe
November 13th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Just to add on to the "Where would MEAC schools go?" question, the SoCon currently has 12 members. Only 9 play SoCon football (CofC, UNC-G and Davidson don't). I doubt the SoCon would want anymore full time members unless someone leaves. So the only way any more schools to the SoCon would work is if they were football only and I bet that won't happen.

The Big South is much better fit as they have room to grow (10 current full time members, 6 which play football, 7 total including associate member Stony Brook)

Just an FYI, Campbell is rejoining the Big South starting in 2011-12, pushing the membership to 11. (They'll stay in the Pioneer for football.) If the league expands, it probably wouldn't be by more than one more school.

Panther88
November 13th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Nah...ya'll JUST started playing football...trust me...xsmiley_wixxwhistlex

And you guys just became competitive FCS (again) recently as 1 yr ago.

See where I'm going since sarcasm is your strong suit? :Dxlolx Congrats on that FBS almost breaking the athl departmental move.xbowxxeekx

Big Dawg
November 13th, 2009, 09:59 AM
And you guys just became competitive FCS (again) recently as 1 yr ago.

See where I'm going since sarcasm is your strong suit? :Dxlolx Congrats on that FBS almost breaking the athl departmental move.xbowxxeekx

Key word "Again" meaning we've been there and done that...*looks at I-AA National Championship Banner at Bragg Stadum* xcoolx:D