PDA

View Full Version : Top 4 Seeds

UncleSam
November 6th, 2009, 02:10 PM
If any of the following schools win out, they are almost sure to get a Top 4 seed:

Richmond
Villanova
Montana
South Dakota St
SIU

UR and Nova play each other as do SDST and SIU, so two of that group may be eliminated. Other contenders should be W&M, Elon and ASU. The CAA could be in postion to get two top seeds if both Nova and W&M wn out. They would be both be 10-1 and W&M would have a win over FBS Virginia. So assuming Montana is a seed, as is the SIU/SDST winner, who out of the following contenders would deserve the final two seeds?

Villanova 10-1
W&M 10-1
Elon 10-1
or
ASU 9-2

Wildcat80
November 6th, 2009, 02:13 PM
ummm....not so fast US...If New Hampshire wins out--adding a win away over mary & bill--they deserve a top 4 spot since we own the tiebreaker over nova.

UncleSam
November 6th, 2009, 02:15 PM
ummm....not so fast US...If New Hampshire wins out--adding a win away over mary & bill--they deserve a top 4 spot since we own the tiebreaker over nova.

Agreed, but it may not happen if Richmond wins out.

UNH Fanboi
November 6th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Agreed, but it may not happen if Richmond wins out.

If Richmond and UNH win out, Richmond would be 11-0, UNH would be 10-1, and Nova would be 9-2. Then the last seed would have to be either UNH or the winner of App v. Elon.

soccerguy315
November 6th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Teams that control their own destiny for a Top 4 seed (IMO):

Richmond
Montana
SIU
Villanova
W&M

Teams that need help to get a Top 4 seed (IMO):
UNH
SDSU
Elon
App State

If Nova beats Richmond and wins out, and Richmond wins against W&M to go 10-1, Richmond and Nova will both get top 4 seeds, which will leave a 10-1 UNH on the outside looking in (assuming Montana and SIU win all their games).

DOME
November 6th, 2009, 02:41 PM
If SDSU wins out they get a seed no questions...

Houndawg
November 6th, 2009, 02:50 PM

Agreed. If they beat SIU on a sunny day and a dry field they deserve a seed. I doubt that an MVC team would get jumped from #9 to the top 4, though.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 6th, 2009, 02:51 PM
I think its fair to say that the following teams would get a seed if they won out...

Richmond
Villanova
UNH
WM
Montana
SIU
SDSU
Elon

App State would need a lot of help to get a seed at 9-2.

Richmond and Montana are the only teams that would be considered for a seed with a loss over the last 3 weeks.

You need to predict the outcome of the following games to determine the seeds...

11/7 - UR/Villanova, SIU/SDSU
11/14 - WM/UNH, ASU/Elon
11/21 - UR/WM

Those are 5 huge games.

soccerguy315
November 6th, 2009, 02:51 PM

I was thinking if they win against SIU, they still might not jump high enough in the rankings to get a seed, since they would have wins over SIU (1 quality win if you count UNI) and UNI (no quality wins). I'm thinking if SDSU wins they will move into the 5-6 spot, with a chance then to be jumped by the App/Elon winner.

Just my thought process. Feel free to tear it apart, lol. xthumbsupx

Still lots of football left.

soccerguy315
November 6th, 2009, 02:55 PM
I think its fair to say that the following teams would get a seed if they won out...

SDSU
Elon

Do you think a 10-1 Elon would get a seed over any of these (if it worked out this way):

10-1 Richmond
10-1 Villanova (or W&M)
11-0 Montana
10-1 Southern Illinois

Or 10-1 SDSU over:

10-1 Richmond
10-1 W&M (or Nova)
11-0 Montana
10-1 Elon

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 6th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Do you think a 10-1 Elon would get a seed over any of these (if it worked out this way):

10-1 Richmond
10-1 Villanova
11-0 Montana
10-1 Southern Illinois

Yes, I think a 10-1 Elon would get a seed over a 10-1 (second CAA team). I'm not saying I think it is fair or that I agree with it. I just think the committee would think this was 'fair'.

Same thing with a 10-1 MVC winner.

The CAA is pulling for App State next Saturday.

soccerguy315
November 6th, 2009, 03:00 PM
that would make sense.

well... kinda. It makes sense to think that the committee might do that.

Rekdiver
November 6th, 2009, 03:02 PM
You better hope App gets a seed........I don'tthink you wantto face them early........

elon77
November 6th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Yes, I think a 10-1 Elon would get a seed over a 10-1 (second CAA team). I'm not saying I think it is fair or that I agree with it. I just think the committee would think this was 'fair'.

Same thing with a 10-1 MVC winner.

It kind of surprises me that the way some people talk trash about ASU that anyone, I repeat anyone would pull for the big bad boys from Boone over little ole Elon. I said some people, not all people.:D

FargoBison
November 6th, 2009, 03:15 PM
If SDSU wins out they would have beaten Minnesota. There is no question that they would be a seed.

Dukie95
November 6th, 2009, 03:25 PM
It kind of surprises me that the way some people talk trash about ASU that anyone, I repeat anyone would pull for the big bad boys from Boone over little ole Elon. I said some people, not all people.:D

CAA fans prefer that the SoCon keep the "One trick pony" label. xsmiley_wix

T-Dog
November 6th, 2009, 03:28 PM

Why? You think there's a better chance of the CAA getting two seeds if App wins? App winning at Elon would really help App get a seed.

If you want that to happen, hope SDSU beats SIU and then gets beat down by Minnesota.

soccerguy315
November 6th, 2009, 03:29 PM
If SDSU wins out they would have beaten Minnesota. There is no question that they would be a seed.

hmm... this... I did not realize. They are now firmly in the "control their own destiny" group in my mind.

You better hope App gets a seed........I don'tthink you wantto face them early........

I want no part of App State xthumbsupx though they are definitely beatable if someone can slow down the offense. Elon game should tell us a lot (about both teams)

WrenFGun
November 6th, 2009, 03:35 PM
UNH should get a seed over Villanova if both teams are 10-1 (though in that scenario, both teams should get seeds and Richmond would likely be bumped).

Appalachian State should not get a seed unless W&M loses to Richmond, 'Nova loses to Richmond and UNH loses to W&M.

CharlestonAppFan
November 6th, 2009, 03:46 PM
App will get a seed if they win out xnodx The NCAA loves us :D

Undefeated in the SoCon (albeit, not saying much this year) and a 9 game winning streak....although honestly, I believe we will have to keep putting up huge points the remaining 3 games to be looked at. If the D shuts down UTC (maybe) and at least WCU (possibly), and the O puts up 50+ points, I think there is no reason why we shouldn't get the #4 seed. Call it homerism if you will, but it is my xtwocentsx

The CAA will have 2 seeds, leaving Montana getting one....the final spot will be tough with S. Illinois or SDSU and of course us. I think it comes down to how well each team does these final weeks. Should be interesting, that's for sure.

UNH Fanboi
November 6th, 2009, 03:48 PM
UNH should get a seed over Villanova if both teams are 10-1 (though in that scenario, both teams should get seeds and Richmond would likely be bumped).

Appalachian State should not get a seed unless W&M loses to Richmond, 'Nova loses to Richmond and UNH loses to W&M.

If App beats Elon, the committee will probably find a way to rationalize stiffing the 10-1 CAA team and giving App a seed, just like when they stiffed Villanova last year.

gbhmt
November 6th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Why? You think there's a better chance of the CAA getting two seeds if App wins? App winning at Elon would really help App get a seed.

If you want that to happen, hope SDSU beats SIU and then gets beat down by Minnesota.

App should not get a seed if it's between them and a 10-1 CAA team whose only loss is to another seeded team. Looks better than the loss to McNeese.

biggie
November 6th, 2009, 03:50 PM
A 3rd CAA team with a seed will cause more issues than App getting one. Believe the committee is probably already weary of the every year we put 5 CAA teams in (worried about looking like playing favorites and losing their positions).

Do believe 2 CAA teams get a seed and Montana, then the last could be a toss up between a few teams.

Mattymc727
November 6th, 2009, 03:53 PM
i think a 9-2 app would get the last seed over a 10-1 UNH, otherwise i think a 10-1 Villanova, W&M, or Richmond would get the 4th seed.

WrenFGun
November 6th, 2009, 03:53 PM
I don't see how Appalachian State's resume would be better than any of the following teams: SDSU (9-2, loss to Cal Poly/Minnesota, wins over SIU and UNI), SIU (10-1, loss to Marshall, wins over SDSU, UNI), UNH (10-1, wins over Villanova, W&M and Ball State, loss to UMass), Villanova (10-1, wins over Richmond, W&M, Temple and UD, loss to UNH), W&M (10-1, wins over Richmond, UNH, UD, Virginia), Montana, Richmond, etc. Now some of those are best case scenarios but there will be teams in good shape.

IMO, this is really the only way to a seed for APP:

-Beat Elon
-Richmond wins out, W&M beats UNH
-SDSU beats SIU and loses to Minnesota.

Even Still, I'd rather see 'Nova and SDSU at 9-2 get the seed over Appalachian given their resumes.

biggie
November 6th, 2009, 03:57 PM
If we can can continue the offensive show and blowouts it would be one of the possible reasons for a seed. But their are arguements both ways.

Assuming we can win tomorrow and next week, havig WCU could help (huge offense show and blowout) or hurt (get up early and pull starters) the last impression.

asknoquarter21
November 6th, 2009, 04:02 PM
If that scenerio plays out App will in fact get a seed.

Money talks and a seed is another home game for ASU

2 CAA and Montana are locks IMO

Final seed is between ASU/Elon or SDSU/SIU

I don't think both the socon and MVC are left without seeds.

3 CAA seeds isn't gonna happen.

I think ASU ends up as the "5th" seed and is given SCSU or Liberty in the 1st round.

I would feel cheated as a seed having to play App in the 2nd round, much like ASU having to play Richmond last year.

soccerguy315
November 6th, 2009, 04:12 PM
A 3rd CAA team with a seed will cause more issues than App getting one. Believe the committee is probably already weary of the every year we put 5 CAA teams in (worried about looking like playing favorites and losing their positions).

there is no chance the CAA gets 3 seeds.

tribe_pride
November 6th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Not sure why people are claiming 2 CAA are locks. If Richmond beats W&M and Nova and W&M beats UNH (all good possibilities), Richmond gets a 1 seed and I don't see the 2 loss CAA teams beating out and an SIU team that wins out or an Elon team that ins out. App. St and SDSU would have shots as well.

1 CAA and Montana (barring a big upset) are locks.

RabidRabbit
November 6th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Agreed. If they beat SIU on a sunny day and a dry field they deserve a seed. I doubt that an MVC team would get jumped from #9 to the top 4, though.

IF Jacks win out, that means that they will have defeated U of MN Gophs, a Big 10 team. That's equal to the best of the FBS wins to date, and they're 10-1 with FBS win, and undefeated in MoValley play. That should be a lock for a top 4.

I'd say that MT should not lose, and be a lock for a seed. Richmond goes undefeated, then they are a lock for a seed.

Where the seeding gets murky is if 'Nova wins vs Spiders, and you end up with 4 CAA schools with 1 loss in CAA play, and a FBS win. Then, where does the MVFC champ and the SoCon champ fit in?

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 6th, 2009, 04:38 PM

You were seeded and we played you early last year.

Anyone would prefer to play at App on December 5th in front of 16,000 fans than on December 12th in front of 24,000 fans.

UNH Fanboi
November 6th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Where the seeding gets murky is if 'Nova wins vs Spiders, and you end up with 4 CAA schools with 1 loss in CAA play, and a FBS win. Then, where does the MVFC champ and the SoCon champ fit in?

There can't be four 1 loss CAA teams, but there can be three if Nova beats Richmond, Richmond beats W&M, and UNH beats W&M.

ElonFirefighter
November 6th, 2009, 07:23 PM
IF Jacks win out, that means that they will have defeated U of MN Gophs, a Big 10 team. That's equal to the best of the FBS wins to date, and they're 10-1 with FBS win, and undefeated in MoValley play. That should be a lock for a top 4.

I'd say that MT should not lose, and be a lock for a seed. Richmond goes undefeated, then they are a lock for a seed.

You silly rabbit, if Elon wins out and grabs the socon auto bid they will be undefeated in FCS play. Also they should be top in pt margin and defense pts allowed and near the top on offense. With that i find it hard not to seed them. On the other hand an App win, 3 time champs 2 losses i find it hard to believe they dont get a seed

WestCoastAggie
November 6th, 2009, 07:52 PM

If the Rabbits can hold that Minn WR to just a few catches, they will win the game against Minn.

Saint3333
November 6th, 2009, 08:10 PM
If SIU beats SDSU they get a seed. If they don't that opens the door for a 2nd CAA team to get a seed. The winner of ASU/Elon (if both go win out of course) gets a seed.

soccerguy315
November 6th, 2009, 09:05 PM
If SIU beats SDSU they get a seed. If they don't that opens the door for a 2nd CAA team to get a seed. The winner of ASU/Elon (if both go win out of course) gets a seed.

If Villanova beats Richmond and they both win their other games, and SIU and Montana win out, which team is ASU/Elon going to get a seed over? 10-1 Richmond? They would be the team with the most recent loss.

WrenFGun
November 6th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Someone tell me who App or Elon have beaten to warrant a seed? I don't see it. Neither team has a quality win of note.

VT Wildcat Fan53
November 6th, 2009, 09:43 PM

Agree ethically and in principal. But, ... remember how much the NCAA and ESPN hate good ole "historic" Cowell Stadium and our state of the art 19th century press box. Better than even money that UNH does not get a seed irrespective of final record and what other schools do over next 3 weeks.

100%GRIZ
November 6th, 2009, 11:06 PM
If the Rabbits can hold that Minn WR to just a few catches, they will win the game against Minn.

Sorry Folks - There is no way the Rabbits are a gonna beat the Gophers. PERIOD. So quit even thinking it!!!! Not Gonna Happen!!! What you guys on anyway!!!

FargoBison
November 6th, 2009, 11:09 PM

Decker is out for the season with a foot injury, but the Gophers did manage to beat Michigan State without him. They are a horribly coached team though, SDSU has a tremendous advantage in that department, the game could be very close.

Thumper 76
November 6th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Sorry Folks - There is no way the Rabbits are a gonna beat the Gophers. PERIOD. So quit even thinking it!!!! Not Gonna Happen!!! What you guys on anyway!!!

Why is this an impossibility? Any given saturday right? And its not like the Jacks are horrible and the Gophers are top ten in FBS. xcoffeex

100%GRIZ
November 7th, 2009, 12:16 AM
Why is this an impossibility? Any given saturday right? And its not like the Jacks are horrible and the Gophers are top ten in FBS. xcoffeex

The Deal is - Just because NDSU upset the Gophers a couple of years back - Doesn't mean that SDSU will do the same!!! Nope Noda - Aint a gonna happen!!! The Gophers will WIN by 3 TOUCHDOWNS or More!!!! I may be wrong but I AINT!!!

skinny_uncle
November 7th, 2009, 01:00 AM
Top 4 sees
1. Richmond
2. Montana
3. Valley winner ( SIU or SDSU
4. To be named later

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 7th, 2009, 08:00 AM
Agree ethically and in principal. But, ... remember how much the NCAA and ESPN hate good ole "historic" Cowell Stadium and our state of the art 19th century press box. Better than even money that UNH does not get a seed irrespective of final record and what other schools do over next 3 weeks.

I wish I could disagree with you, but unfortunately I can't. :(

Note to self: buy a couple of Powerball tickets today. :p :D

gophoenix
November 7th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Someone tell me who App or Elon have beaten to warrant a seed? I don't see it. Neither team has a quality win of note.

Define what a win of note is? Computer polls show Elon at least in the top 7. Elon beats App or App beats Elon and both increase. I think you can lay it aside that the polls are worthless this year. Richmond beat Duke. Good win. OUtside of that, who in the CAA have beat anyone of note outside of other CAA teams? Don't feed me UVa and Ball State given where they are in the computer polls. The CAA has a fair amount of protection in playing FBS only, and then just themselves, therefore minimizing their exposure to the rest of FCS.

CAA:
Lehigh, St Francis, VMI, Stony Brook, West Chester, Bryant, Albany, St Cloud State, Del St, Brown, Youngstown, Coastal, Lehigh, CCSU.

So, 4 full games between 12 teams against other automatic bid conferences. None of which are ranked, ad only Youngstown of the group was ranked. And that team beat the CAA team they played. In other words, 12 games for 12 teams for play in FCS.

SoCon:
McNeese, NC Central, Glenville State, Presby, Davidson, Princeton, Albany, South Dakota St, Javksonville, Miles, Gardner-Webb, Eastern Kentucky, Charleston Southern.

So, 3 games for 9 teams against automatic bid conferences, 3 of which are ranked. In other words, that's 15 games for 9 teams for FCS play.

The SoCon has nearly 2 times the statistical exposure. So really, how do you know the CAA has even done anything noteworrthy to decide spots and seedings more than the SoCon, Southland, MVFC etc.

I am not saying the CAA is better or SoCon is deserving. It was simply stated, who did Elon and App beat to deserve. So really, who did they CAA beat to deserve it and how do you know?

UncleSam
November 7th, 2009, 06:45 PM
The CAA has a fair amount of protection in playing FBS only and then just themselves, therefore minimizing their exposure to the rest of FCS.

That's a good one, the CAA is the toughest league in the FCS and you call playing FBS opponents and the CAA schedule 'protection'??? Better take a long hard look in the SoCon mirror, as Elon hasn't yet beaten ANYONE of merit......... xnonox

T-Dog
November 7th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Well either way, there's a good chance the rest of FCS gets what they want to see.

And that's if App St can win a true road playoff game.

PhoenixMan
November 7th, 2009, 06:58 PM
If Elon wins out, and ends up with with the only loss to Wake Forest. #5 in offense and #1 in D in the FCS, I don't see how they aren't considered for a seed.

theasushow
November 7th, 2009, 08:04 PM
If Elon wins out, and ends up with with the only loss to Wake Forest. #5 in offense and #1 in D in the FCS, I don't see how they aren't considered for a seed.

if that happens then yes, elon should get a seed. i also feel that an app win would put them at 9 straight wins and also make them seed worthy.

PhoenixMan
November 7th, 2009, 08:11 PM
if that happens then yes, elon should get a seed. i also feel that an app win would put them at 9 straight wins and also make them seed worthy.

agreed. the winner of Elon/App. gets a seed (provided they win out)

tribe_pride
November 7th, 2009, 08:13 PM

What about a 10-1 Richmond or W&M whose only loss is to Villanova or a 10-1 UNH team that beat Villanova but lost to UMass by 4. Not saying any of those teams is more worthy than others there are 5 teams right now that have a legitimate gripe for a seed right now. (note that Elon/ASU, W&M/UNH, W&M/UR still are on deck so some teams will get eliminated from this group but at least 1 CAA and 1 So Con of these will have a legitimate gripe - and saying there is already a CAA team should have no bearing on seeds)

I am assuming that SIU, Nova and Montana have wrapped up seeds barring upsets.

theasushow
November 7th, 2009, 08:27 PM
What about a 10-1 Richmond or W&M whose only loss is to Villanova or a 10-1 UNH team that beat Villanova but lost to UMass by 4. Not saying any of those teams is more worthy than others there are 5 teams right now that have a legitimate gripe for a seed right now. (note that Elon/ASU, W&M/UNH, W&M/UR still are on deck so some teams will get eliminated from this group but at least 1 CAA and 1 So Con of these will have a legitimate gripe - and saying there is already a CAA team should have no bearing on seeds)

I am assuming that SIU, Nova and Montana have wrapped up seeds barring upsets.

yeah, there are gonna be gripes any way you look at it...does unh losing to umass trump their 'nova win??? or is it the other way around?