PDA

View Full Version : SDSU's head coach is correct

MplsBison
November 6th, 2009, 10:44 AM
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/258789/

SDSU head coach John Stiegelmeier says he doesn’t put too much emphasis on speed.

“That will sound weird,” he said. “What we talk about is: Does the guy love to play football? Does he play every down at full speed? I’ve seen guys who can run fast not be good football players.”

Recruiting players based on how fast they run, just for the sake of recruiting players for how fast they run is wrong!

It doesn't matter how fast a player runs. Can he understand what the offense is going to do? Does he play quick? Does he like to hit? Does he go full speed all the time? etc.

Those are more important than speed.

The sooner NDSU's recruiting reflects that, the better of NDSU will be.

Stop going to Houston and places like that just to recruit some fast guys just because they are fast.

Recruit the midwestern guys who are solid football players.

Proof is in the pudding. SDSU will win the MVFC title this season and go deep in the playoffs.

NDSU will be sitting at home with 4 wins this season. xnonono2x

JMUNJ08
November 6th, 2009, 10:49 AM

Recruiting players based on how fast they run, just for the sake of recruiting players for how fast they run is wrong!

It doesn't matter how fast a player runs. Can he understand what the offense is going to do? Does he play quick? Does he like to hit? Does he go full speed all the time? etc.

Stop going to Houston and places like that just to recruit some fast guys just because they are fast.

Proof is in the pudding. SDSU will win the MVFC title this season and go deep in the playoffs.

Hey speed is EVERYTHING. I mean come on look at Al Davis and the Raiders. They clearly have the formula.

Speed does help make up for mistakes. It definitely takes a balance of both to win.

WVAPPmountaineer
November 6th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Well I have seen personally what speed can do for a team as an APP State fan - I think the speed argument is like the money argument ---- those who don't have it say it isn't that important (believe me I don't have and never have had speed nor money and I would have loved to had both) :)

henfan
November 6th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Hey speed is EVERYTHING. I mean come on look at Al Davis and the Raiders. They clearly have the formula.

Al Davis is on formula.

phoenix3
November 6th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Al Davis is on formula.

xlmaox

jmc_jackrabbit
November 6th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Well I have seen personally what speed can do for a team as an APP State fan - I think the speed argument is like the money argument ---- those who don't have it say it isn't that important (believe me I don't have and never have had speed nor money and I would have loved to had both) :)

I don't think Stig is saying speed isn't important. Our team speed has improved dramatically in the past few years. I think he's saying there are other factors that are important and speed doesn't trump them all.

And I don't think anybody can argue with the results. SDSU's "slow" defense is tops in FCS in scoring defense.

Chi Panther
November 6th, 2009, 02:02 PM

I'm predicting SDSU to Montana in round 1.....year over....

KUlawJack
November 6th, 2009, 02:08 PM

That's fine. I am predicting a couple more wins and a top 4 seed, so we won't be going anywhere near Missoula in the first round.

Twentysix
November 6th, 2009, 02:31 PM

I doubt montana will just pound them. I think the weather is one of the biggest factors for montana and it really shouldnt phaze SDSU at all.

There both good teams sdsu would have a fair shot against them and it really evens it out more when you can say the weather is a non factor.

Montana's weather has nothing on the dakotas :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAi_4mow3SE

^^ example.

Tod
November 6th, 2009, 04:27 PM
I doubt montana will just pound them. I think the weather is one of the biggest factors for montana and it really shouldnt phaze SDSU at all.

There both good teams sdsu would have a fair shot against them and it really evens it out more when you can say the weather is a non factor.

^^ example.

All true.

putter
November 6th, 2009, 04:35 PM

^^ example.

I think the fact that SDSU is a good team has more to do with their chances if they got sent to Missoula. FWIW, most first round games the last few years have been very good weather and the scores have been more indicitave of how good Montana was than any SLC team being affected by the weather.

MplsBison
November 6th, 2009, 05:21 PM

Yeah but NDSU is trying to be something that it isn't when we recruit players from Houston, California, etc.

We should be a midwestern, hard-hat n' lunch-pale, hard working, hard hitting team, like SDSU is.

I think NDSU has lost that trying to get fancy recruiting.

Stick to the bread and butter, ND/MN/WI guys that made up the two 10-1 seasons of 2006 and 2007, then we'll get back to where we want to be.

Speed should not be the reason we recruit people.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: speed doesn't matter when we're bowling over their defense in a power-I set on 14 play, 10 minute drives.

ValleyChamp
November 6th, 2009, 05:23 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again: speed doesn't matter when we're bowling over their defense in a power-I set on 14 play, 10 minute drives.

Yeah, good luck with that.

This isn't high school football.

catdaddy2402
November 6th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Y

That's certainly worked for Ohio State the past three times they've played in BCS Bowls.

Oh wait....

UNHFootballAlum
November 6th, 2009, 06:33 PM

Speed is a difference maker and can cover up for a lot of mistakes ono the field

Head Cat
November 6th, 2009, 08:20 PM

Year over ... for Montana.

JackJD
November 6th, 2009, 11:26 PM
Some of us joke that if the Jackrabbits are scheduled to travel to Montana, Montana will buy out the game.

Grizo406
November 7th, 2009, 12:18 AM
Year over ... for Montana.

xlolxxlolxxlolx

skinny_uncle
November 7th, 2009, 12:50 AM
SIU may test that theory Saturday.

RabidRabbit
November 7th, 2009, 07:33 AM
SIU may test that theory Saturday.

Should be a WHALE of a game! xcoolxxrolleyesxxlolx

OH wait, that's not worked so well up north!xoopsx

gt_bison
November 7th, 2009, 07:44 AM

At least someone's optimistic about how the Bison finish the season. I'm not even confident we'll beat ISU blue next weekend.

Houndawg
November 7th, 2009, 08:20 AM

xnonox You're confusing track and field speed with football speed. Anybody that played even high school ball understands the difference. xoopsx

NDSU already has lots of midwestern boys that are solid fb players. The reason you're getting you're butts kicked all over the FCS is because you are slow.xcoffeex

Chi Panther
November 7th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Let's delete this thread....

ValleyChamp
November 7th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Let's delete this thread....

Agreed.xrulesx

skinny_uncle
November 7th, 2009, 04:08 PM

http://www.dhivehiobserver.com/images3/speed_kills.jpg